Burn Me Right

By Nyxiden

Autumn Wraith took a step a 20-year-old shouldn't take. She was naïve for her own ruin. One wrong move, or sh... More

warnings
Diabolus et angelus eius....
Prologue
Angelus Mortis
manes praeterita
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter- 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91

Chapter 88

419 50 21
By Nyxiden

Autumn and Zyler rushed out to the garden. The gunshot startled them. Autumn's heart stopped looking at April's blood-soaked hands. "Rilley," she yelled, running to her sister's side. "Are you hurt? Did he hurt you?" she examined her sister in a hurry.

"No, he......" April found it difficult to form words. "He shot himself," she pointed at Liam. Zyler and Autumn looked at Liam's unconscious body, blood still seeping out of his wound. Zyler looked impassive, while Autumn was shocked.

"We need to get to the hospital," she hiccupped. "Please," she started wiping her hands on the floor like a madwoman. The blood was scaring her.

"Rilley, stop," she grabbed April's hands, preventing her from hurting herself further.

"Hospital," Autumn looked at Zyler, and he rolled his eyes.

"Do we have to save him?" Zyler asked with a shrug, sitting nonchalantly on the bench and crossing his legs. Honestly, Mother Earth doesn't seem too bothered by the sight. It gives the place a bit of drama, don't you think?"

April looked over at Autumn, her eyes wet with tears.

"Zy, not the time," Autumn scolded.

"Come on, baby, don't be a buzz kill. Lighten up, please," Zyler groaned, standing up reluctantly. He whipped out his phone with a flourish.

"Fine, I'll call the cavalry." He dialed his security team, adding, "Yeah, could you pick up our little damsel in distress here? And hurry before he stains my floor further." Moments later, his team arrived, whisking Liam off to the hospital.

"I will go with you," Autumn told April as she guided her to the ambulance. There was no way in hell she would let her sister go alone.

Zyler threw a tantrum like a child. "Must we save him?" he asked her again.

"Zy," Autumn shook her head. "Sometimes you act 5. Do you know that?"

"And?" he shrugged.

"Not now. I will deal with you later," she had conflicted feelings about saving Liam. But she would do what she April wanted.

"Trust me, I am waiting," he winked.

"Now?" She understood what he was implying.

"Please, if you think that I would care about that fucker, you are mistaken, darling. The only reason I called an ambulance is because of your sister," Zyler couldn't care less if Liam died.

She didn't say anything as she herself wasn't sure how to feel about this. They reached the hospital soon, and April ran after the doctors while they wheeled him into the operating room.

She sat in the chair while Autumn sat next to him. "I will be your death," she remembered when she challenged Liam, and she became his death. She cannot live with herself if she is responsible for his death. She wasn't a murderer and didn't want to be one.

"It's okay, April. I think he will be fine," She put her sister's head on her shoulder.

After 30 minutes, the doctor came out of the room and told them that Liam was out of danger. The news of Liam getting shot spread quickly as he was still a senator, and the media swarmed the hospital like locusts.

"He is out of danger. We pulled the bullet out. But it will take a while for him to recover," the doctor announced, peeling off his gloves and tossing them into the trash.

"Bummer," Zyler chimed in nonchalantly. "Guess he'll miss bikini season, huh?" Autumn shot him a sharp glare, her concern evident. She worried that April might misunderstand Zyler's quirky humor, especially since her sister's approval meant so much to Autumn.

"We need someone to sign the papers," the doctor grabbed the file from the nurse's hands and waited for someone to take them.

Autumn gave Zyler a look, and he immediately knew what she expected.

"I will not be responsible for his bills. Bitch is rich." Zyler acted five again.

"Zy," she cooed, her nickname for him cutting through his act.

"Fine," he pouted theatrically, snatching the file from the doctor's hand. "But just for the record, I'm charging him 100 percent interest. And maybe a luxury tax. And an annoyance fee." He signed the papers, still grumbling.

Autumn shook her head and focused on April.

"He will be fine, Rilley, don't worry," she rubbed April's back, but April lost words.

Mrs. Hart arrived there minutes after the news. They both acknowledged each other, but April didn't say anything. Mrs. Hart understood that and remained silent. She looked at Zyler and smiled at him. Zyler returned the smile.

She walked over to him and admitted, "Thank you for setting him and me free from Ryle," she knew Zyler was the one who killed Ryle, and she didn't shed a teardrop for her husband. If anything, it made her happier to know how Ryle died.

Zyler saw what Ryle did to his wife when Ryle was still friends with his dad. He was a child back then and wasn't sure what was happening.

Though he didn't do it for Liam or her, he was still happy she was free of him because no woman deserves that treatment.

"I did what had to be done. I didn't do it for anyone but my revenge," he crossed his hands and stood firm.

"I know," she wasn't a fool to expect sympathy from him as her husband was also responsible for Zyler's parent's death. "Doesn't mean that I cannot thank you." She wiped her teary eyes.

Autumn watched the interaction curiously, but her focus was on April.

They stayed at the hospital that night. Zyler only stayed for Autumn and April. Bright in the morning, the nurse announced that Liam wanted to see April. April got up but looked at Mrs. Hart, and she nodded.

She gently pushed the door open, the soft click barely audible as she entered the room. Immediately, her eyes took in the expansive, luxurious layout surrounding her. The spacious area was elegantly appointed with high-quality furnishings: a large, comfortable bed dominated the center, dressed in fine, crisp linens. Soft, indirect lighting cast a soothing glow, while tasteful artwork adorned the walls, adding a touch of sophistication.

Liam lay on the bed, surrounded by the subtle luxury of the room. He was connected to sleek, modern medical equipment that efficiently monitored his condition. Liam was on the bed, connected to various tubes. His injuries were bandaged, with a vivid red mark visible on the dressing.

Her footsteps woke him up, and his eyes scanned for her with love. If only he hadn't been this late and picked another way to show it to her. "How are you feeling?" she asked, sitting on the chair beside his bed.

"Why did you save me?" he asked directly.

"Because I am not you," she replied. He might have hoped for a different answer but knew better than to admit it.

"What happens now?" he asked, wondering if their dynamic had shifted.

"We go our separate ways, and if fate allows, we might meet again," she said. Despite her feelings for him, she knew staying together wasn't right; it wouldn't do justice to her healing process.

Liam closed his eyes, a single tear escaping. "Liam," she called softly, and he looked at her again.

"I forgive you," she told him, calm but resolute. The real villain in their story was not just Liam himself but the circumstances and influences that shaped him-particularly his father, Ryle, who taught Liam to see women as mere objects. She chose forgiveness not just for his sake but for her own peace, to move on, heal, and fully embrace the life ahead of her.

"Is this my punishment, baby?" he chuckled sadly, his voice heavy with emotion. "Life without you doesn't feel like living at all." He pondered whether a life without her was worth living.

"This is the result of your actions, Liam. You've always made your obsessions the center of your world. First, it was your dad, then your political career, and now me?" her voice was tinged with frustration.

"You come first; everything else is secondary," he responded instantly, emphasizing that she was his priority. Yet her response was silence. Arguing with him seemed futile.

"I want you to heal too, Liam. Focus on your life. Do good. You've been on the wrong path for so long. Stop causing harm. You have the power to make a difference, so use it to fulfill your promises to your constituents. Be a leader who brings positive change, not more distress," she implored, her plea a mix of hope and stern warning.

"Then, maybe I'll consider coming back. Maybe then, there's a chance for us," her words ignited a flicker of hope in his eyes.

"But I can't promise anything," she clarified, quickly dousing the nascent flame of his hope.

She got up and kissed his forehead. "Goodbye, Liam," she stared into his eyes with a smile, and he looked at her with admiration.

"Before you leave, can I show you something?" her brows creased, listening to him.

He grabbed his phone and showed her the location. "Please visit this place," he urged.

Her brows creased in confusion as her gaze stuck to the screen. "Promise me you will," he added. She nodded while she took a photo of the screen with her phone.

She reached the door and turned back one. With a sigh, she opened the door and went to where Autumn was. Autumn immediately got up, "how are you feeling?" she inspected April's eyes, which were now full of hope for the future.

I am free," she breathed deeply, feeling the weight lift off her shoulders. Autumn embraced April tightly, a long, comforting hug that spoke volumes about the healing power of forgiveness. After several minutes, Autumn gently let go.

"Let's go? Autumn asked.

April showed her sister the location on her phone. "I want to go to this place," With a solemn nod, Autumn agreed, and soon they were driving towards their destination. The car stopped with a gentle crunch of gravel under the tires, and April stepped onto a path covered in fallen leaves. Autumn followed, her eyes scanning the surroundings curiously. They arrived at the gates of Hart Cemetery, the name gleaming in glossy letters under the somber morning sky.

"Why are we here?" Autumn's voice was barely audible, laden with confusion and a dread she couldn't quite place.

"I don't know either," April replied, her hand trembling slightly as she pushed the creaking metal gates open. They walked along a grassy path, illuminated by fairy lights and tea lamps that flickered like tiny stars fallen to earth. The path led to an extravagant tomb at the end, painted in soft shades of pink and grey.

A wave of strange anxiety washed over April, settling heavily in her stomach. Her steps faltered as they approached the tomb, and Autumn quickly steadied her. They stopped in front of a tombstone that read, "Baby girl, daughter of Liam and April Hart." The words struck April like a physical blow, and she collapsed to her knees.

She had lost a baby girl-the magnitude of the loss hitting her afresh as she traced the engraved letters with her fingers. Beside her, Autumn struggled to compose herself, her heart breaking for the niece she would never know. Somehow, knowing the gender of the baby hurt them both more.

"I am sorry, Rilley," Autumn whispered, her voice cracking with emotion.

"I must forgive myself, Atty," April said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I don't know how I miscarried, and I'm grateful Liam spared me the details. There's no point in dwelling on the pain."

With a trembling hand, April touched the cold stone of the tomb. "I am sorry mommy couldn't be with you, baby girl. In the next life, maybe we can be together?" She kissed the tomb gently, her tears falling freely now. Slowly, she rose to her feet, her eyes brimming with tears and a resolve to move forward. Gathering her strength, April touched the tombstone again. "Forgive me, baby girl," she whispered, her lips brushing the cold stone. Each kiss was a goodbye, a silent wish for a different fate.

She knew deep down that Liam loved her, but tragically, his way of showing it was tainted by abuse. The love that could have been nurturing and protective was instead twisted into a pattern of harm, leaving her heart scarred and her soul weary. The painful realization that his expressions of love were inseparably linked to his learned behaviors of abuse weighed heavily on her, a cruel irony that love from him came at such a cost.

"Goodbye, little one," she murmured, her voice thick with emotion. Autumn reached out, wiping away her tears and then her sister's, sharing in farewell.

All right, most of you asked for a happy ending for both. I will leave the ending open-ended. It is for your interpretation of how you will say farewell to April and Liam. Some of you might not like that I let Liam live. So, write your endings in your mind 😅 this way, everyone will win.

As an author and a reader, I don't like sad endings, and I also will not justify Liam's abuse and stealing April's life for 10 years, and this is my punishment from the author's standpoint. She will never be his, at least for now, and that's enough for him. I hope you all liked this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5M 200K 101
"WHY CAN'T YOU GET IT INSIDE YOUR HEAD?" He trapped my trembling body between his arms and slammed his fist into the wall. I flinch at the sound as I...
165K 3.4K 34
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...
16.6K 908 11
"D-Don't please. Don't... come near me". She said with fear. Her body was shaking like a leaf. "Why should I not when I have every right to". He said...
578 30 5
"If they're getting married does that mean she'll have his kids? I roll my eyes at the thought. 5 Kids, me and hers that was supposed to be the plan...