Hear me Roar - English version

By super_titine

A few days ago, Diana Stark was the future Governor of the North. She imagined herself marrying a vassal of h... More

Playlist
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1 - "Oh my Theon"
CHAPTER 2 - "I was 14 years old"
CHAPTER 3 - "Take care of him"
CHAPTER 4 - "Wolves Among Vipers"
CHAPTER 5 - "Tyrion Lannister"
CHAPTER 6 - "To escape?"
CHAPTER 7 - "He wanted to kill me..."
CHAPTER 9 - "Forgive me..."
CHAPTER 10 - "In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon"
CHAPTER 11 - "His Father is Dying"
CHAPTER 12 - "Petyr... No..."
CHAPTER 13 - "Still Nothing."
CHAPTER 14 - "I still love you."
CHAPITRE 15 - "I want her to watch."
CHAPTER 16 - "Only when we are alone."
CHAPTER 17 - "Sir Bronn, it has been a pleasure."
CHAPTER 18 -"You are the King."
CHAPITRE 19 - "You are the Queen."
CHAPTER 20 - "No one can challenge that."
CHAPTER 21 - "I don't know who I am anymore."
CHAPTER 22 - "Thank You Shae"
CHAPTER 23 - "This is an ordre, Lord Varys."
CHAPTER 24 - "She Fled"
CHAPTER 25 - "Too Bad..."
CHAPTER 26 - "Promise me we'll meet again."
CHAPTER 27 - "I'm listening"
CHAPTER 28 - "You Will Pay For It."
CHAPTER 29 - "King of the North..."
CHAPTER 30 - "Not controlling anything?"
CHAPTER 31 - "He burned them alive."
CHAPTER 32 - "I'll figure it out."
CHAPTER 35 - "You've done enough."
CHAPTER 34 - "King Without Crown"
CHAPTER 35 - "I'll pay it for the rest of my life."
CHAPTER 36 - "Your Turn."
CHAPTER 37 - "Chaos is a Ladder."
CHAPTER 38 - "Don't say anything."
CHAPTER 38 - '"The Lone Wolf Dies."
CHAPTER 40 - "We were at war."
CHAPTER 41 - "Brienne of Tarth"

CHAPTER 8 - "It Depends on Perspective"

17 0 0
By super_titine

               We have been in King's Landing for a month and every day I spend here, I learn new things. Like, for example, that there are very few men of honor in this city.

               Everyone who ventures into the dirty streets of the capital is there for a very specific reason. Most of them seek glory or at least some form of power. That's what Sir Duval came up with: a name, a land, a status. Before he died suddenly.

               I also learned that I shouldn't trust anyone, even those I think I know best. Sansa in particular. She begged my father to arrange her wedding with Joffrey. I'm starting to believe this kid hates me.

               Joffrey, by the way, has been kind over the last few days. I must admit, surprisingly, that I'm starting to appreciate him. I don't forget the way he behaved with my sisters on the Royal Road but, after all, I'm going to marry him. Then we might as well start tolerating each other.

♐︎

               Someone knocks at the door of my room, pulling me out of my dreams. I stand up and shout: "come in!". The Northern Guard opens the door to announce my visitor: Petyr Baelish. Another man I learned to appreciate.

               I get up from my bed to welcome him, a smile on my face. Since this incident at the Hand's Tournament, Baelish and I have not met again.

               Actually, I haven't seen anyone since. I've been locked up here for the past week, daydreaming and planning how, on my next outing, I might make sure I don't cross the Mountain.

"Lady Diana" he greets me on entering.

"Lord Baelish" I'm answering. "I'm glad to see you."

               In one week, the only people who came to see me were my father, Arya, and Jory, because they were worried about me, and Sansa and Joffrey, because they were obliged to.

"You made a lot of people talk about you" he says as he sits down.

"I can't help it, it's my biggest curse."

               Maybe I'm laughing now, but just two days ago I was worried that my maid might have seen my «fight» against the Mountain. Because I was as brave as desperate. And I'm obviously no match for a giant like him.

"And" I add by sitting in front of Littlefinger. "What exactly are they saying?"

"Prince Joffrey brags to anyone who will listen. Since he is the heir to the throne, the whole court heard him say how extraordinary his future wife was."

               I can't help but blush.

               When the prince came to visit me, he did indeed praise me. He told me that I was impressive, courageous, et cetera. But I didn't think he meant a word of it. I thought, on the other hand, that he was visiting me under orders from his mother and that he was just courting me to make sure that I'll his side when the time comes.

"And the others?"

"I didn't hear any comments about you" Littlefinger assures me.

"Well... All right."

               This will help me get out of my room.

"Thank you, Lord Baelish... I'm starting to feel little cramped here."

"You don't have to stay locked up" he confides in me as if it were a secret.

"I know it... But I just..."

               I can't believe I'm going to say this out loud...

"I'm afraid."

"Afraid? Of the Mountain?"

"You saw it with your own eyes" I answer. "He would have killed me if the Hound had done nothing. He was determined..."

"He would never hurt you."

"I'm sure you don't believe that lie."

               I got up and approached the balcony. I saw the way Clegane looked at me, there was nothing human in it. He took no pleasure but had no remorse. He simply wanted me dead.

"Why are you here" I suddenly ask Baelish.

"I was worried about you."

"Well, I'm in great shape, as you can see!"

               Littlefinger rises to join me on the balcony.

"You know you'll always find a friend in me, right?"

"I'm sure you don't believe that lie."

               I see a slight smile on his lips. A real smile, not one of those who shout arrogance.

"I wouldn't lie to you, my lady..."

"Do you think I'm stupid...? I would worry if you don't lie."

               His hand rests on my waist. I mock the immorality of this gesture, all that matters now is the heat that radiates from his hand and spreads throughout my body.

"Prince Joffrey Baratheon!"

               I jump out of Baelish as far as I can. I can't believe what I was about to do. Because I was going to do it, I was going to kiss him without even worrying about the fact that I'm promised to another man. Simply because nothing else mattered.

               I bow down in exaggerated reverence. Enough to create a good diversion, since Joffrey loves to be worshipped. Next to me, Littlefinger lowers his head before leaving the room without any other word than: «my prince».

"Lady Diana" begins Joffrey. "I did not expect to find you accompanied."

"Neither did I, Your Majesty. Lord Baelish worried about my health."

"Does he know your health is fine?"

"I guess does now. What does me the honor of your visit?"

"I'm getting you out of here!"

"Get me out of here?"

               After an unexpected visit from Littlefinger, here is the other surprise of the day. I confided to the prince the reason for my confinement a few days ago and, to my great astonishment, he did not mock me. On the contrary, he was very understanding.

               I am therefore even more surprised that he now wants me to get out of my room.

"It's been days since anyone has seen you, my lady. It's not worthy of you."

               By "you", he means "me". He is certainly less occupied with my image than his.

"I'm...I don't know if..."

"You were brave when you faced Sir Gregor."

"I didn't think..."

"Good! Don't think!"

               Joffrey grabs my arm and leads me outside the room.

"I'm not presentable!" I yell before I walk through the door.

"You are very beautiful."

               I decide not to answer. It is easier than finding the right words. If I thank him, he will be all the happier. If I say he's lying, he'll only be more exasperating.

♐︎

               So I did my first outing in a week with Prince Joffrey. It went very well. The ladies we met were smiling and the men were congratulating me. I felt like I had a place here for a few minutes. 

               It's been two days since Joffrey managed to get me out of my room and I am preparing to regain my place in the Small Council. My father accepts that I accompany him to the meetings because Robert does not participate and because being the next queen of the Seven Kingdoms apparently has a weight in the balance.

               As I walk through the throne room, deep, hoarse screams echo to me. I would recognize them between miles because they are the ones I have heard the most since our arrival in the capital. King Robert is getting mad at my father for leaving the meeting.

               He walked through the room without saying a word to me. Imagining his nervousness, I decided not to ask him anything. With the Hand gone, the lords of the council should follow him without delay. Then I could ask Baelish or Varys what's going on.

               Not surprisingly, after a few minutes, they come out one after the other. Renly only gives me a nod and a smile, which suits me perfectly. Lord Baelish and Varys arrive at the same time in the throne room.

"Gentlemen" I say.

"Lady Diana" they greet me in heart.

"What's going on? I just saw my father go off like a rag."

"Well, my lady, it's a most unfortunate story..." begins Varys.

"I'm listening."

               I haven't seen Littlefinger since our little affair my room two days ago. I don't know how to call that. It is certain, however, that he has marked us both because the Master of Coin has not yet addressed me a word.

"And don't miss any details" I add as we set out from my apartments.

                The two men begin by reminding me of facts well known to all.

               16 years ago, during the rebellion against the Mad King, Rhaella Targaryen, his wife, gave birth to a child before dying in childbirth. King Aerys' two youngest children, Viserys and Daenerys, fled to Essos and were never heard of again. Until, you will understand, today.

               Eager for power, Viserys married his sister to the leader of the dothrakis, Khal Drogo. The dothrakis are savages of the great plains of Essos, they are known to be very violent. Daenerys would now be pregnant. And with an heir and an army, the young princess Targaryen poses a real threat to our kingdom.

               Knowing this, Robert decided to have her murdered thanks to the spies of Varys, on the other side of the Narrow Sea. My father refused to participate in the murder of a child and resigned.

"What does this mean for my sisters and I?" I ask.

"Your father will want to leave as soon as possible" Varys says.

"If Robert considers this a betrayal, you are no longer safe here" adds Baelish.

"A betrayal?" I repeat, surprised. "My father did not betray the crown!"

"It depends on perspective."

               Like every time, Ned does what he thinks is right. Today, he realized that the Robert he knew no longer existed and decided to act according to his morals. That's what I would have done if I had been in his shoes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

457 44 9
"My father is dead, my house destroyed, there is no one left to take the fury, except me." Robert Baratheon's only true heir becomes an unwilling pla...
354K 9.5K 187
Carliene Stark is captured after the red wedding and brought to Casterly Rock where an unexpected marriage waits for her along with a new set of chal...
575K 14.2K 94
"Be honourable", I plead as his lips hover dangerously close to mine "But you aren't an honourable man are you Jaime Lannister?" I dare to ask knowin...
2.9K 83 26
Winter is coming, and Lyra Stark, adopted daughter of Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, travels to King's Landing with her fa...