Path Of The Dragon (A Dark Fa...

By DarenGillingham

A dragon. A girl. A deal sealed in blood. Lightning flickered over the dragon's onyx scales. "You will have t... More

Chapter 1 The Shadow Of Death
Chapter 2 The Bargain
Chapter 3 Hunter
Chapter 4 Prey
Chapter 5 The Stranger
Chapter 6 Reborn
Chapter 7 Cultivation
Chapter 8 Dragon Lightning
Chapter 9 Sickness
Chapter 10 Feast
Chapter 11 Disciple
Chapter 12 Martial Skills
Chapter 13 The Great Lightning Dragon
Chapter 14 The Jungle
Chapter 15 The Village
Chapter 16 The Road
Chapter 17 The Crimson Academy
Chapter 18 The Trial
Chapter 19 Beast Cores
Chapter 20 The Crimson Vault
Chapter 21 The Silver Stone
Chapter 22 Heavenly Moon Pills
Chapter 23 Earthen Constructs
Chapter 25 The Satyr
Chapter 26 Shrine Of Healing
Chapter 27 Chen Ai
Chapter 28 Elder Shi
Chapter 29 The Tournament: Round One
Chapter 30 Outnumbered
Chapter 31 The Tournament: Round Two
Chapter 32 Customs
Chapter 33 Healing Tent
Chapter 34 Verdict
Chapter 35 Duthungr Of The Mountain People
Chapter 36 Culture Shock
Chapter 37 Pan Zhanshi vs Chen Huo
Chapter 38 Ithilix Of The Hive
Chapter 39 The Arena Clinic
Chapter 40 Shadow And Poison
Chapter 41 Jie vs Chen Huo
Chapter 42 Rewards Ceremony
Chapter 43 The Cultivation Chamber
Chapter 44 Training
Chapter 45 New Martial Skills
Chapter 46 Inspection
Chapter 47 Bodyguard
Chapter 48 Overwhelming Power
Chapter 49 Invitation
Chapter 50 Pan Keai
Chapter 51 Heping City
Chapter 52 Service
Chapter 53 Jiang Feng
Chapter 54 Nine Clouds Healing Pill
Chapter 55 Practical Vanity
Chapter 56 The Golden Carp
Chapter 57 A Pleasant Evening
Chapter 58 Pan Family Mansion

Chapter 24 The Chen Family Hall

76 5 2
By DarenGillingham

While Jie was enjoying a carefree night, Elder Kanev was having an entirely different time.

He strode up to the looming structure of the Chen family hall.

Guards stood lined up along either side of the entrance and as Elder Kanev approached the shining metal doors, they opened. The metal groaned ominously as a pair of servants shuffled out, carrying a charred corpse between them.

Elder Kanev swallowed hard, wondering if he would be next.

A servant of the Chen family wearing fine black silks inlaid with gold gestured toward the open doorway.

"Lord Chen will see you now," said the servant.

Elder Kanev nodded but said nothing as he walked into the hall. The interior was massive and spacious, arranged like an opulent indoor amphitheater. His footsteps echoed loudly upon the polished onyx floor.

Chen family elders sat high above him, yet he dared not look into any of their eyes. Ahead of him, sitting above all others, was Lord Chen Liang. His wives sat at his sides yet slightly below him and shadowy figures lurked in the darkness behind him.

The flickering flames of the braziers around the amphitheater cast deep, dancing shadows over Lord Chen Liang's perfect features and Elder Kanev looked away the instant he caught himself daring to look upon him. Thankfully, their eyes had not met.

When Elder Kanev reached the center of the enormous room, he knelt down and bowed his head, resting his hammer beside him.

Frost crept over the polished onyx from where his hammer rested as Elder Kanev stared at his reflection in the dark stone, wondering if that would be the last thing he ever saw.

Even at this distance, he felt Lord Chen Liang's aura weighing upon him despite being largely restrained. It made it difficult for Elder Kanev to breathe and cold sweat crept over his skin before freezing.

"Kanev Kormak, Elder of the Crimson Academy, once of the clan Kanev of the Frozen Wastes, has come to see you, my Lord Chen," intoned the servant that had ushered him in. Every word was pronounced with flawless, ritualistic perfection.

And, somehow, it only served to make Elder Kanev even more uncomfortable. He'd faced many beasts in his time. Fought his way through fire, ice, and death. Walked for days, certain he would bleed to death upon the snow... and yet, kneeling before Lord Chen, with his past laid bare with the casual ease of titles made him more uncomfortable.

What little he knew of the man made even the most violent, cruel beasts seem downright pleasant by comparison. He'd have avoided this meeting, perhaps even run, if he'd thought for a moment there was anywhere he could go that would truly be beyond Lord Chen Liang's reach.

Time seemed to crawl by before Lord Chen Liang deigned to speak.

"Elder Kanev, did you not promise me my son's entrance to the Crimson Academy would be ensured?" Lord Chen Liang said. His tone was measured, yet it carried a menacing edge to it.

"Lord Chen Liang, I made every--"

"Did you or did you not promise me?" Lord Chen Liang asked.

"I did," Elder Kanev said.

"And have you delivered on that promise?" Lord Chen Liang said.

"No, my lord. A thousand apologies for my failure. I gave your son ample beast cores and healing pills to qualify, but he was attacked by another applicant and she stole them," Elder Kanev said.

"I'm aware," Lord Chen Liang said, "The question is, why did you allow this to happen?"

"Forgiveness, my lord. I should've taken further precautions," Elder Kanev said.

Lord Chen Liang's fingernails drummed on the arm of his throne, echoing in the otherwise silent hall. Accompanied only by the flickering braziers.

"Tell me of this student who dared to steal from my son," Lord Chen Liang said.

"Her name is Liu Jie, my lord. Her cultivation broke through to the first star of the Adept rank shortly after entering the academy. She placed first in the entrance exam. Far above any of the other applicants," Elder Kanev said.

"No doubt with the beast cores meant for my son hmm?" Lord Chen Liang said.

Elder Kanev closed his eyes, bracing for death. Anyone else and he'd have fought with everything he had to survive, but against someone of Lord Chen Liang's strength, all he could do was submit and hope to be spared.

"Your silence says it all. I've never heard of the Liu family before... don't tell me some pathetic peasant girl dared attack my son?" Lord Chen Liang.

"I've also never heard of the Liu family before, my lord... but she came to the exam in fine clothes that few in this city could afford. What's more, she has a very peculiar accent, and her mannerisms are unlike any I've seen before," Elder Kanev said.

"From a distant land perhaps? Interesting..." Lord Chen Liang said.

Silence followed. The hairs on the back of Elder Kanev's neck stood on end as his instincts screamed of danger. He could feel his life's worth being weighed and feared it would be found wanting.

He dared not make a sound, however. There was a time to fight, a time to beg and grovel... and a time to pray to the heavens for mercy.

"I'm disappointed in you, Elder Kanev. However, you may still be of use to me. Keep the resources we gave you for ensuring my son's exam as payment toward your next task. Watch this girl. Learn all you can about her and report to me. Do so well, and you shall continue to be showered with rewards by our family. I would strongly advise that you not try my patience a second time," Lord Chen Liang said.

"Yes, my lord. Thank you for your mercy," Elder Kanev said, "It shall be as you say. I will learn all there is to know about her at once."

"Then why are you still here?" Lord Chen Liang asked.

Elder Kanev rose to his feet, bowed so deeply he practically folded in half, and then all but rushed out of the hall. The itch between his shoulder blades made him wonder if Lord Chen Liang was simply toying with him.

When he was gone, Lord Chen Liang turned his head and spoke over his shoulder, "Find out everything you can about any family of the name Liu."

Six shadows behind him vanished like smoke.

"I dare not make a move until I know who stands behind you... but mark my words Liu Jie. You will pay," Lord Chen Liang muttered grimly.

***

A day later, Jie finished absorbing her second pill. She didn't break through like before, but even so, power surged through her body and her store of qi swelled greatly.

Each step, every move she made was swifter and stronger. She smiled. Maybe she'd be moving up to the next floor of the training hall sooner than she'd thought...

"These pills are amazing," she said, "Why didn't you give me any before?"

"Because the pills I have are far too strong for you. They wouldn't do you any good and would only risk injuring you. Besides, it isn't good to rely too heavily on pills and other cultivation resources. Especially in the beginning. It's very easy to end up with an unbalanced cultivation base, and that's a lot worse than advancing a bit slower," Ming said.

"That makes sense, I guess," Jie said, "Still... you were right to tell me to pick these pills. They're great!"

Ming smiled. "I'm glad, kiddo. But it's time for me to focus on my healing now. I'm confident you'll train hard while I'm busy," he said.

Jie's smile faded. "Will you be okay? Is there anything I can do?" she asked.

Ming sighed. "I can't make any promises, kiddo. I injured myself rather badly bringing you to my world and remaking your body. And for whatever reason, it's getting worse. It's not just an injury as I'd previously thought. I think there may be some kind of curse at work. With how pervasive and difficult it is to detect and cure... I have a feeling that the strange energy our mysterious helper put within me is the only reason I'm not already dead. But their help is slowly fading. I need to heal now, or I'll die," he said.

"Can't we take you to a healer?" Jie asked.

Ming shook his head. "I don't know of any healers in this world with the strength to heal me, little one," he said, "And I cannot afford to waste time searching for one. This world is my home, but it's also far from the true centers of power. That's why the elders chose it. It's a great place to lie low and train. I'd travel to another world to get a healer, but I do not have the time or the energy to do so and I have no vehicles or formations to transport me. I'll simply have to heal this myself."

"Is there nothing I can do to help?" Jie asked.

"If you want to help, you could bring me some food from the cafeteria every so often. It smells delicious. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. Any healing pills you might get will be far too weak to be of use to me. I have a few lesser ones left that might help me, but even those are so far beyond anything in this pitiful place, I'm sure.

"If these injuries were simple, I'd have healed them easily a long time ago... just promise me that if I fail to recover... you will not forget our deal. You must stop Fang Zhuyu's followers. He cannot be allowed to return," Ming said.

"I promise," Jie said, wiping her eyes.

Ming smiled softly. "Thank you. I know that my world and the way it works is quite a shock to you, but I promise there's good here too. And though you've met some awful people, no evil anywhere in the universe can compare to Fang Zhuyu. He won't stop with just mine. No world in the entire universe will be safe. Please. You must become strong enough to stop them from freeing him. No matter what happens. If you don't do it for my world... for Xiannu... then do it for your own," Ming said.

Jie nodded. A tear rolled down her cheek. "We made a blood pact, remember? You just make sure you get better you big old snake!" Jie said.

"You rat! I'm the greatest dragon in the universe. You're just jealous," Ming said as he tenderly wiped away a tear rolling down her cheek, "Train hard, kiddo."

Then a ring appeared in his hand, gripped between two of his talons and far too small for him to wear it.

"Take this," he said.

Jie did so reverently. She stared at it for a moment.

"A storage ring?" she asked.

"Yes. It'll adjust to fit you as you grow. It has far more storage than any of the rings these weaklings wear. And much better security. Within it is enough currency for you to purchase whatever you require and enough space to hold vastly more than you're likely to need for a long while. Use it wisely," he said.

"I will," Jie said, "I won't let you down. I promise."

Ming gave her a smile. "I know you won't," he said as he tousled her hair.

He coiled up like a snake and closed his eyes. His breathing was deep and even and the Essence of the Heavens and the Earth flowed to him like he was a suction pump.

Jie's lip quivered as tears filled her eyes. She turned away, glaring through her tears at the grounds outside her home. She hated herself for her weakness. For her helplessness and inability to help Ming the way he had helped her.

But self-pity wouldn't help Ming either, she knew. And she had a promise to make good on.

She wiped away her tears with the back of her sleeves and rushed out of her home, making a beeline for the Training Hall.

Unbeknownst to Jie, two figures watched her like hawks and followed her. Out of sight of her, and of each other. Both of them nearly jumped out of their skin a moment ago as they felt the Essence fluctuate wildly around Jie's residence before it seemed to settle back down.

Jie rushed into the Training Hall and sped up the stairs. She wouldn't let Ming down. No more being weak! She'd be stronger than anyone!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7K 785 81
MIGHT MAKES RIGHT. Wu Jian comes from a small clan eking out a living in the countryside. Despite being the clan heir, he is bullied for being coward...
734 51 57
Wordcount: 88.33K A bully in school, a parasite as a grown-up. The shadow of a man. A shunned member of society. Such are the descriptions given if o...
387K 14K 42
"You're just my tool. Know your place." It's her duty to follow her master's command. Even at the risk of injuring herself or losing her mind. It's...
99.8K 4.3K 88
Amber chose to become a VILLAIN Amber had worked all her life to become a surgeon and had died on her way home from her graduation ceremony. She'd do...