Across the hall

By tvwriteher

Maya James is a 20 something trying to figure out her life as she navigates career and relationships experien... More

THE CAST (season one)
PILOT
SEASON ONE EP TWO: OUT OF BOUNDS
SEASON ONE EP THREE: BIG PIMPIN
SEASON ONE EP 4: TEASE IT NO SELF CONTROL
Season One Ep 5: you must really love....me
Season One Ep 6: I know if I'm haunting you, you must be haunting me
Season One Ep 7: Maybe you'll love me when I fade to black.
Season One Ep 8: Well raise up your glass and laugh like a mutha!
Episode Nine: I know you know how to make me jealous
Episode Ten: my shiny teeth and me.
Episode Eleven: And we always argue bout the same thing
Episode 12: On the first day of Christmas my baby gave to me.
Episode 13: Its my birthday I deserve to be greedy huh?
Episode 14: What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
EPISODE 15: DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR?
EPISODE 16: FASHION KILLA
Episode 17: When Maya Falls In Love
EPISODE 18: The Other Jackson
EPISODE 19: Valentines Day
EPISODE 20: Knew Better/Forever Boy
SWEET ★ HONEY ★ BUCKIIN
S2 EP 1: DEVIL IN A NEW DRESS

Episode 21: Maya and Sterling Part One

177 7 163
By tvwriteher

INT. HAZEL AND MAYAS APARTMENT- MAYAS ROOM - DAY

We fade in with Bryson Tillers "The Sequence"

Maya lays on her bed she's scrolling through her instagram on her phone. She stops at the picture of her and Graham and reads the different comments of people saying they're a cute couple or how happy she looks.

Maya sighs.

She then exits the app and goes to her text message thread.  Two unread text messages.

G❤️: I really think we should talk. I don't like the way we left things and I miss you.

UPTOWN💙: Maya I'm sorry if I confused things with what I said and the kiss. I didn't expect for that to happen. I think we should talk about it.

Maya puts her phone down.

MAYA-(V.O) between the kiss with Sterling and me and Graham breaking up....I feel hung over.

Hazel knocks and enters.

HAZEL- bitch get up we were supposed to be on the road an hour ago.

MAYA-(V.O) oh yeah my sister is getting married...again yeah somehow dude took her back...so we're going to DC. Can you tell how excited we are?

MAYA- I know but once Ryan said he wasn't going I laid back down for a minute.

Hazel sits next to her on the bed.

HAZEL- You have to let over the Graham thing you don't want the same things and that's okay. He just wasn't the one.

MAYA- and what about the Sterling thing? I can't believe he missed again.

HAZEL- I do. You leave you two alone for more than an hour your lips somehow reach each other.

Maya rolls her eyes. Hazel face lights up.

HAZEL- wait you said Ryan isn't going anymore?

MAYA- no he's being a "Dad".

HAZEL-(sarcastic) what an dick head.

MAYA- (laughing) you know what I mean.

Hazel face lights up.

HAZEL- wait Ryan isn't going anymore?

MAYA- (confused) girl...are you okay? I just said that.

HAZEL- you right my bad...look can you just meet me at the car in fifteen?

MAYA- okay.

Hazel smiles.

HAZEL- okay.

Hazel rushes out.

INT. RYAN AND STERLINGS APARTMENT- MOMENTS LATER

Sterling is sitting on the couch watching tv on the screen is the iconic wedding episode of a different world.

Hazel rushes in. Sterling looks at her confused. She looks on the tv.

HAZEL- oh isn't that cute.

Sterling laughs.

STERLING- I wanted to get my baby right...like should I go high or low Baby or BABY.

HAZEL- definitely the second one.

STERLING- good directions that's all I ask for.

Hazel laughs.

HAZEL- could you get dressed and pack a bag in like thirty minutes and meet MJ outside and drive her to dc for Mariah's wedding?

STERLING- the wedding she invited Ryan to and not me?

HAZEL- because y'all are in that complicated space again...after that kiss duh.

STERLING- That's my point  and why would I drive and not catch a flight?

HAZEL- Because you'll be in the car with MJ for hours and unresolved tension....

Sterling looks at her.

HAZEL- Sterling nobody and I mean nobody loves my best friend more than I do. Once upon a time I told you to stay away from her but then I seen that you've been doing the work I mean at the hospital you sat with me to see if I was okay before you ran out to MJ. That alone should tell you how much you've changed....now I'm pushing you towards her.

Sterling nods and takes that in.

HAZEL- give my best friend the road trip of her life.

Sterling laughs.

STERLING- you giving me gas money?

HAZEL- I'm basically giving potential sex.

They both look at each other.

STERLING- fair game.

Hazel laughs.

EXT. FRONT OF APARTMENT COMPLEX - DAY

Sterling leans on his car door. Maya walks outside carrying her bag.

MAYA-Hours away from my sister and parents to remind me that my sister is getting married and I've had another failed relationship yay.

Sterling takes her bag and takes it to the backseat of hs car.

MAYA- wait why are you here? Where is Hazel?

STERLING- she had a work thing. So I'm gonna take you. If that's okay with you?

MAYA- Are you sure you can handle being with me in a car or are you gonna kiss me again?

STERLING- I didn't see you complaining when you kissed me back.

Maya rolls her eyes.

MAYA- shut up. I just didn't want to embarrass you.

Sterling opens the door of the passenger seat.

STERLING-whatever you say sweet heart.

Maya walks past him getting into the car .

MAYA-(V.O) it's bad enough he has on this bike sweet suit that fits him perfectly and a fresh hair but he smells amazing....you know what I'm gonna go to sleep in the car.

INT. STERLING'S CAR- MOMENTS LATER

Sterling is driving and Maya leans her head looking out of the window. Occasionally Sterling looks over at her.

He reaches in the back seat pulls out a bottle of strawberry lemonade for Maya to take

MAYA- No thanks. I'm fine.

Sterling sighs a little and puts it back in his bag in the back seat keeping one hand on the wheel.

Maya eventually falls asleep. Sterling looks at her smiles a little and then he rolls down Mayas window causing the wind to wake her up.

Maya coughs.

MAYA- Why would you do that?!

Sterling laughs hysterically. Maya hits him.

STERLING- It's not smart to hit the man that's driving.

MAYA- and it's not nice to put wind in the sad girls face!

STERLING- Okay I'm sorry.

Sterling rolls up the window.

Maya closes her eyes again and begins to go back to sleep.

INT. STERLINGS CAR- DAY

Maya is still asleep. Sterling looks over at her and shakes his head. He places music on his phone and

Dilemma by Nelly and Kelly begins to play.  He turns the volume up loud.

Maya wakes up.

STERLING- (singing) Ah! I love you And I need you. Maya I...(he touches her thigh)love you I do.

Maya laughs and blushes hits hand.

MAYA- shut up.

STERLING- (singing) No matter what I do. (Normal voice) Come on you know you want to sing it. This is a classic.

Maya shakes her head no.

MAYA- Nope.

STERLING-(raps) I met this chick and she just moved right up the block from me And uh she got the hots for me the finest thing my hood has seen.

Maya begins to nod her head, giving in to the song.

MAYA AND STERLING-(singing and rapping) But oh no, oh no, she got a man and a son though!

They both laugh and continue to sing.

INT. STERLINGS CAR- DAY

Maya and Sterling are watching a reality tv show on his phone.

MAYA- oh they about to fight.

STERLING- definitely look at how she's approaching her. She gonna throw the drink first though.

The woman on the show throws a drink at the other woman right in her face.

Maya laughs a little.

STERLING- told you.

INT. STERLING'S CAR- DAY

Maya is back to looking out of the window pouting.

Sterling looks over at her.

STERLING- Uh oh the pout is back.

Sterling grabs the grocery bag from the back seat.

STERLING- I have Reese's, hot cheetos, and those soft chocolate chip cookies you like.

Maya looks at the bag and then looks back outside the window.

MAYA- my mood can't be fixed with snacks.

Sterling nods. He then pulls out a stack of magazines.

STERLING- Can it be bought with undersized models in oversized clothes?

Maya looks at him, intrigued.

MAYA-This months or last months.

Sterling shows the two magazines.

STERLING- both.

Maya takes them.

MAYA- Well since you asked I guess.

Sterling gets a small smile and then looks at her.

STERLING- you know road trips are supposed to be fun, right?

MAYA- The guy I loved told me he doesn't believe in marriage just a few hours after we were going to move into together and now I'm on my way to my little sisters wedding where Im going to be reminded of that every chance my family gets. So I just want to mope in peace.

Sterling nods.

STERLING- I get that misery loves company but even you can't dent this classic.

Sterling turns up the volume and Ushers nice and slow begins to play.

STERLING-(singing) It's seven o' clock on the dot
I'm in my drop top cruisin the streets.

Maya still pouts with her head leaning back on the seat.

Sterling pinches her cheek.

STERLING-(singing) I got plans to put my hands in places I never seen girl you know what I mean.

Maya looks down at the magazines. Sterling looks at her.

STERLING- damn you must really be caught up?

Maya doesn't respond. Sterling begins to dance in his seat

STERLING-(singing) Girl you got me saying  My, my, my  I wish that I (singing dramatically) Could pull over!

Maya looks at him and can't help but laugh.

Maya phone rings. It's Candace. She ignores it.

STERLING- you not gonna answer?

Maya doesn't respond.

STERLING- look Maya everyone just wants to make sure you're good.

Sterling phone rings it's Hazel he answers.

STERLING-(on the phone) yo....yeah she had a little back talk but she came. We on the road. This was a great idea it's definitely helping.

Sterling looks over at Maya he looks even sadder.

STERLING-(on the phone) Hazel let me call you back.

Sterling pulls over. Maya begins to cry. Sterling looks at her.

STERLING- Maya what do you need?

MAYA-(crying) nothing.

Sterling looks away debating. He turns back to her .

STERLING-(nervous) so you want me to just sit here and-

MAYA-(crying) Yes!

Sterling nods.

STERLING- and then I just wait-

MAYA- (crying) Yes!

Sterling jumps a little.

Maya continues to cry and leans on the car window. Sterling thinks.

STERLING- Not gonna lie Maya you are going for the academy award right now babe.

Maya cries harder.

Sterling looks awkward.

INT. STERLINGS CAR- DAY

Sterling is eating chips slowly and carefully and Maya is still crying.

MAYA- boy just eat the damn chips!

Sterling looks at him and still eat the chips slowly. Maya looks at the chips.

MAYA- give me some.

He hands her the bag of chips. She begins to eat them.

MAYA- these are good...these after a few tears hit the spot.

Sterling laughs. Maya hands him back the chips.

MAYA- I would really eat your whole bag right now.

STERLING- you can do whatever you want Maya.

Maya laughs a little.

INT. DINER - A LITTLE LATER

This place looks like the Waffle House but it's certainly not the Waffle House. Sterling opens the door for Maya letting her inside the restaurant.

Sterling is immediately greeted by a waitress JACKEE 40s black.

JACKEE- Now why don't you look at this. Long time no see.

She hugs Sterling.

STERLING- How are you? And the family?

JACKEE- doing better every day.

STERLING- that's good to hear.

She hands them two menus.

JACKEE- grab any booth.

Sterling nods and him and Maya walk over to towards the seating area where he's greeting by another waitress who hugs him. 40s WHITE VICKY

VICKY- handsome long time no see.

STERLING- Now Miss Vicky I told you you're too young for me. You better stop. We know your husband collect guns.

Maya smiles and rolls her eyes. Sterling and Maya take their seats and Vicky walks away.

MAYA- This place is like Happy Days but like instead of Fonzie! Everybody's like Sterling!

Sterling looks at her confused.

STERLING- What the hell is Happy Days?

Maya looks embarrassed clears her throat and picks up the menu. 

INT. DINER - DAY

Maya and Sterling food has arrived. Sterling has a burger and fries Maya has chicken and waffles. Sterling is looking at a man eating to the left of them as he pours syrup on his waffles.

STERLING-(disgusted)  he spent the last 10 minutes pouring syrup  in each individual pocket of his waffle. 

Maya looks over at the guy.

STERLING- that's a nigga with nowhere to be.

MAYA- I don't know he might be on to something.

STERLING- yeah girl diabetes.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- its funny I could get use to a small town life like this.

STERLING- seriously?

MAYA- yeah you couldn't?

STERLING- this is monotonous as fuck.

Maya looks at him confused.

Maya looks at a white family of a husband ice and two kids a girl and a boy enter.

MAYA- you can't see yourself with that?

STERLING- a depressed wife and kids and no home training?

MAYA- no dumb ass. A family.

STERLING- I can have that in New York.

MAYA- maybe..but it's too busy I mean all of the time. Everybody stressed looking for their next hustle. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to just unplug and be.

STERLING- isn't your dream to have your own line and shop?

MAYA- Yes.

STERLING- no way you could do that in a deserted town like this....the town I'm from in Florida was just like this and I'm glad my parents pushed me outta there.  If I had to spend the rest of my life in a town like that

MAYA- We'd have like three kids and house by now.

Sterling looks at her Maya pauses realizing what she said.

INT. DINER - DAY

Maya and Sterling are leaving and Jackee hands Sterling a to go bag.

JACKEE- I put something extra in there for you guys trip.

Maya smiles

MAYA- Thank you so much.

JACKEE- Now Sterling you and that beautiful fiancé of yours come back soon.

Jackee walks away.  Maya and Sterling begins to leave.

MAYA- so you're really gonna let them think that we're engaged?

STERLING- It has a nice ring doesn't it?

Maya laughs a little.

STERLING-don't trip I'll them you dumped me for another dude and then I get that free "she left yo ass" cake.

MAYA- I'm sure you never had that before.

Sterling laughs.

INT. STERLING'S CAR - DAY

Sterling is driving and Maya is reading one of the magazines.

MAYA-You know what? I just need a change in my life. Switch things up. If you wanna see change you need to make a change.

Sterling looks at her confused.

MAYA- maybe I should get line a new tattoo or piercing?

STERLING- you have a tattoo?

MAYA- Yeah right above my hip.

Sterling looks at her intrigued.

STERLING- which hip?

Maya laughs.

MAYA- none ya.

Sterling smiles.

STERLING- It's cool. I'll figure it out one day.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- Whatever.

STERLING- but just an fyi I don't think you need to change anything about yourself.

Maya rolls her eyes and sighs.

STERLING-I don't know why you hung up over Boris anyway you dodged a bullet.

MAYA- Or he dodged the bullet and then a few months from now he's gonna be proposing to some girl and say you know what that MJ made me realize marriage isn't so bad after all.

STERLING- first of all the only bullet you know about us that little pink thing in your top drawer and second of all so what if he does that? That means he just wasnt supposed to be your guy.

MAYA- Im so tired of hearing that.

Sterling looks over at her confused.

STERLING-Im sorry but why are you making that rushed relationship seem like the end all be all?

MAYA- Rushed relationship?

STERLING-Yall dated for three months and you were willing to move in with him. You cant even find a nail tech to stick with for that long.

Maya folds her arms.

MAYA- New York has a lot of options, so many it makes my head hurt.

Sterling brushes her off.

STERLING- You were rushing and you know it.

MAYA- I was rushing? I didn't ask Graham to ask me to move in with him.

STERLING- but you said yes even though you literally just left a situation like that and at least Steven was an actual relationship and then you moved in with Hazel and not even a year later? Rushed.

Maya turns facing the camera.

MAYA-(V.O) he's actually right in some ways...but rule number one you never let him know he's right.

Maya turns to Sterling ready to defend.

MAYA- Graham was not planned it just happened and we fell for each other I'm sorry that it didn't take him longer than three months to fall in love and want to be with me.

Sterling shakes his head with a smirk and nods.

STERLING- okay so we going there?

MAYA- we always end up here don't we?

Sterling looks over to Maya but before he responds he looks past her and pulls over to the side of the road,

MAYA- What are you doing?

Sterling parks and takes off seat belt.

STERLING- Come on let's talk miss mouth almighty.

Maya looks at him confused.

MAYA- No Mr. Outta your damn mind.

Sterling looks at her appalled. He gets out of the car and walks over to Maya's side opening the door.

STERLING- Get out of the car Maya.

Maya laughs a little.

MAYA- Okay you've really lost your mind Uptown.

Sterling nods.

STERLING- Okay then.

Sterling unlocks her seatbelt and picks her up.

MAYA-(V.O) Wow he's really strong and I fit so perfectly in his arms.

MAYA- Sterling I'm so serious put me down.

EXT. JUNK YARD - MOMENTS LATER

Sterling finally placed Maya down in the middle of a junk yard smash up cars old parts and trash clutter everywhere.

MAYA- Why the hell are we here?

STERLING- The perfect opportunity for me to get through to your frustrating ass.

MAYA- Aw well isn't that sweet?

Sterling sighs.

STERLING- Look...I'm about to say some things and I need you to understand this is coming from Sterling the friend that really cares about you and not Sterling the-

Maya looks at him.

STERLING-Whatever. Look Maya you need to hear some tough love and I'm gonna give it to you....you're break up with Steven happened literally in the blink of an eye and your entire life changed and then you moved here and started over you didn't even really have to grief that relationship...but okay cool you grew as a person within that time and you moved on and then you fall in love again and you think this has to be the one so you decide to leap again even if it doesn't seem right and  now that it hasn't worked out again you're throwing a pity party not because you're sad over graham Graham but because you feel like you're going back to the place this whole thing started...home with your family and that scares you but I'm here to tell you that no matter what your relationship status is that's not going to change the dynamic with your family....and you should be proud of the Maya that's going back home today.

MAYA- I know you think all of the work and career achievements are cool but all my mother is going to see when I get home is her single daughter who somehow cannot get it together.

STERLING- Well then she's wrong.

MAYA- Maybe....but that doesn't make it hurt less.

STERLING- You have got to stop beating yourself up. I know a lot of people that haven't accomplished half of the shit you did. And you have one of the biggest hearts I know.

Maya looks up at him really listening and liking the compliments.

MAYA- and what else?

STERLING- you're smart and you're beautiful.

Maya looks at him confused.

MAYA- really?

STERLING- I mean not smarter than me.

MAYA- I was talking about the beautiful part.

Sterling chuckles.

STERLING- You know you're beautiful Maya.

Maya looks at him.

STERLING- and you always look out for your friends especially me. I mean you still came and looked out for me  even when I didn't deserve it. You're just an amazing person.

MAYA- Okay so if I'm so beautiful smart and amazing then what happened that night?

STERLING- Maya.

MAYA- See. That there. I know we had the whole flirting thing going on ever since we met but I thought fashion week every thing changed.

STERLING- it did change...you have no idea how much.

MAYA- So then what happened?!

STERLING- we have to talk about this now?

MAYA- We don't ever have to talk about it actually.

Sterling sighs.

STERLING- it's not that I don't want to talk about it. I just...this whole trip is about you. Where your heard is and your parents and the break up with ol boy. When we talk about us...and trust me we will talk about us....i want you to be as level headed as possible.

Maya looks at him, not expecting that answer.

MAYA-(V.O) Did y'all catch what he said? All I heard was US.

MAYA- Well ....okay then....good.

Sterling picks up a hammer off the ground.

STERLING- Want to take this and smash one of these old ass cars?

Maya looks at him thinking, she then takes the rock.

MAYA- actually yes I do.

INT. STERLING CAR - MOMENTS LATER

They're back on the road. Sterling smiles over at Maya.

STERLING- I told you that would make you  feel a little better.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- it did actually. Thanks.

STERLING- anytime.

MAYA- no I mean...not just for that but for um this entire ride and letting me crying and just talking to me....I know it may not as easy for you.

STERLING- being a friend to you has never been hard Maya.

MAYA- what about the other stuff?

STERLING- We'll get there.

Sterling pulls up in front of Maya's family house. He parks.

STERLING- got damn? You didn't say y'all were the second coming of the Huxtables.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- please shut up.

STERLING- you gave all of this up for Steven and New York? Girl you're insane. I kinda understand your sister now.

MAYA- don't ever say that to me again.

STERLING- too far?

MAYA-yes.

STERLING- my bad.

EXT. 17th St NE, WASHINGTON DC - DAY

Fresh front lawns and gardens being watered of this upper class street.

Neighborhood kids are in the middle of riding bikes and playing tag.

Sterling pulls in front of Mayas house.

Maya laughs and looks up out of her window seeing her parents and sister come to greet her. She sighs.

MAYA- here we go.

Maya gets out of the car to greet them.

MAYA- hi guys.

CURTIS- Baby Girl.

He hugs Maya.

MELISSA- What have you done to your hair?

Mariah laughs.

MARIAH- or haven't?

MAYA- I've been in a car for hours it fell Ma...please don't start.

Melissa hugs her.

MELISSA- Why didn't you fly?

MAYA- because Ma-

Sterling gets out of the car.

STERLING- We wanted to spend some time together.

All of them turn to Sterling confused. Sterling walks over to Maya putting his arm around her and kisses her on the cheek.

STERLING- Isnt that right baby?

MAYA- Huh?

Sterling looks at her and then at her family.

STERLING- you didn't tell your parents we finally got together did you?

CURTIS- I knew it.

MARIAH- I didn't.

MELISSA- Who are you?

STERLING- I'm Sterling Jackson.

He shakes her hand.

MELISSA- oh the magazine guy.

MAYA- Ma-

STERLING- You mean head of marketing for one of the top selling magazines in New York City since I've gotten there...then yes.

Maya smiles. Melissa looks at him almost speechless.

CURTIS- Well let's get your bags inside.

MAYA- Oh Dad we were gonna stay at a hotel.

Curtis scoffs.

CURTIS- Nonsense. I have not had both of my girls under the same roof in God knows how long and I'm not sure when the next time it will happen again....you'll stay here.

Maya puts on a face forced smile.

MAYA- yay that'll be fun.

Curtis smiles and takes the bags.

CURTIS- let's get inside.

Curtis Mariah and Melissa begin to walk inside but Maya stops Sterling letting the rest of them get ahead.

MAYA- What the hell was that?

STERLING-What? I'm actually happy he said we could stay here...I hate new hotels.

Maya looks at him wanting him to stop talking.

STERLING- What?

MAYA- Baby? Girlfriend? Since when?

STERLING-Since your mother and sister was about to piss me off talking to you like that...I mean you didn't get to a have fresh off a road trip stretch before they started grilling you.

Maya looks down a little, embarrassed.

MAYA-told you.

STERLING- Well I'm telling you I got you. This weekend I'll be your boyfriend...just to make things easier for you.

MAYA- That's nice of you but-

Sterling smiles.

STERLING- scared you may get to use it and want that the real thing?

Maya rolls her.

MAYA- oh boy please don't act like this isn't some plan you made up to be all up on me.

Sterling steps closer to her and moves her hair out of her face.

STERLING- Maybe.

Maya swallows looking at him.

The neighborhood kids stop their games and curiously come to watch them.

KID ONE- MJ is that you?!

Maya smiles.

MAYA- Hi y'all! Wow yall have got so big! Come here.

Maya greets the kids with hugs.

KID TWO- is that your boyfriend?

Maya turns around and looks at Sterling.

MAYA- Yeah. I guess.

Sterling laughs. 

STERLING- oh you guess?

Maya smiles and shrugs.

KID THREE- he's cute.

The kids giggle to themselves.

STERLING- yeah she doesn't know what she has.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- if your head gets any bigger you won't be able to fit inside.

Sterling laughs.

INT. JAMES HOUSE - DAY

Maya and Sterling enter the front room.

CURTIS- (O.S)  another book! Come to papa!

Sterling laughs. Maya sighs.

MAYA- oh let me get upstairs as fast as I can.

STERLING-What's wrong?

All of sudden Mayas grandmother MICKIE EASLEY AKA NANA comes out from the kitchen carrying a tray tea mugs.

Mayas eyes widen as she almost jumps across the room to hug her.

MAYA- Nana!

NANA- My MJ. Let me just look at you.

Maya poses and smiles.

MAYA- New York has been doing me good huh?

Nana laughs and hugs Maya and notices Sterling.

NANA- Oh I see it looks you been doing better than good? Who is this handsome young man?

Sterling smiles.

STERLING- My name is Sterling....and you are way too young to be someone's Nana.

Maya rolls her eyes. Nana smiles.

NANA- Oh young man compliments will get you very far with me. 

Sterling laughs. She hugs him.

NANA- MJ he's sweeter than you said he was.

Maya eyes her. Sterling looks at Maya with a grin.

MAYA- Nana please.

CURTIS- (O.S) Come on this is just getting embarrassing!

Sterling curiosity is piqued.

STERLING- what's going out there?

NANA- Oh everyone is out now the deck playing a game of spades. You hear Maya's Dad proudly rubbing in his wins in my husband's, his father's face.

Sterling smiles with excitement.

STERLING- oh let's go join that?!

MAYA- I don't exactly play.

STERLING- Why not?

Mariah enters from outside and goes into the fridge and grabs a bottle of  water and begins to drink it.

MARIAH- MJ doesn't play with us because she always quits.

MAYA- Because y'all are always doing way too much.

STERLING- come on.

Sterling grabs Maya's hand following the sounds. It sounds like a party in the back of the house.

EXT. DECK - CONTINUOUS

Curtis, Melissa, POP the perfect grandfather and David are in the middle of a heated spades game. Pop has just discarded some cards.

CURTIS- come on what you got Pop?

Pop stares down Curtis.

CURTIS- Put it down already.

Pop winks at Maya and lays down his hand. Revealing slowly.... seven of hearts six of spades five of clubs and ace of spades.

Curtis throws his hands up and the table sighs in disbelief.

CURTIS- Aw shit. I knew you had that damn ace of spades.

Pop laughs hysterically.

POP- My MJ brought me good luck that's all.

Maya hugs him tight.

DAVID- What's up MJ? How's it going?

Maya let's go of Pop.

MAYA-Hey David...everyone this is Sterling.

Sterling makes his way around the table to greet them.

STERLING- Nice to meet y'all. Is it too late for us to hop in this game?

MELISSA-Us?

She chuckles.

MELISSA- MJ doesn't play spades she doesn't know how.

MAYA (V.O) even though I really don't know how to play..why did that just annoy me so much?

Sterling pulls out a chair and nods his head for Maya to sit. Maya shakes her head no.

MAYA- you can play but Sterling I really can't.

STERLING- Come on trust me I got you.

Sterling looks at her.

STERLING- You ain't ever have a partner like me.

Maya looks at him doing anything to avoid smiling. Sterling reaches out his hand Maya takes it and he leads her to the seat and she sits and Sterling sits next to her.

Pop smiles.

POP-Okay young brotha lets see what you're coming with x

Curtis deals out a new hand to each player.

Maya looks at her hand confused. Sterling looks at her.

STERLING- I got you.

He puts his hand of cards down. And moves closer to Maya. He begins to rearrange her cards and talk to her in a low voice explaining what he's doing close to her ear.

MAYA-(V.O) I'm really trying hard to pay attention what he's saying but I can't help but focus on him being this close to my ear.

STERLING-you got it?

Maya doesn't respond instead she smile and nods .

EXT. DECK - MOMENTS LATER

There is a competitive tension in the game now. Maya and Sterling have been playing great together catching the eye of her family.

MELISSA- I have four.

CURTIS- Three and a possible.

Pop smirks.

POP- Four and possible.

Curtis laughs a little.

STERLING- Man I got three.

POP- Oh yeah it looks like you gonna be joining Curtis soon young brother.

Sterling laughs.

STERLING- Nah I'm sure my partner got me.

Maya is looking at her hand and then looks up at Sterling and they lock eyes.

STERLING- All I need is a partner to play spades with cards up.

Maya laughs

MAYA- All trust....okay I have five.

Melissa chuckles shaking her head placing her cards in order.

MELISSA- Yeah sure MJ.

Maya scrunches her face in confusion.

MAYA- I do have five.

Maya lays out her hand over. And she's correct she has five books.

The entire table is shocked except Sterling who smiles and lays down his hand.

STERLING-  that makes eight between us anyone beating that?

Everyone throws down their cards in defeat. Maya gets a huge smile and her and Sterling shake hands.

MELISSA- Good game MJ.

Maya looks at her.

MAYA- Thanks Ma.

Pop gets up and hugs MJ.

POP- if I was to you lose to anyone why not it be the best James in this house.

Maya laughs and Pop gives her a smooch on the cheek.

CURTIS- you know what this means right?

MAYA- oh God Daddy this was my first and last game.

Curtis laughs.

CURTIS- you and Sterling get to pick where we eat for dinner tonight.

Maya exhales.

MAYA- Okay this I can't handle.

MARIAH- shouldn't me and David get to pick? It is our weekend?

CURTIS- (sarcastic) oh I'm sorry princess how could I forget? I am the one paying for it.

Mariah rolls her eyes and Maya and Sterling share looks and laugh.

INT. MAYAS ROOM - NIGHT

Her room looks exactly how you would expect a high school Mayas room to look. It's beautiful fool of girly colors and collages and sketches on the walls from her fashion inspiration at that time.

Sterling now in sleepwear sits at Mayas desk looking at the old pictures of her from a kid to high school. He gets a half smile.

Maya enters in her pajamas as well.

MAYA- Oh you were not supposed to see those she rushes out trying to taking the pictures.

Sterling laughs.

STERLING- Your eye brows were crazy.

MAYA- they were a little thick so what.

Sterling looks her and laughs some more.

STERLING- Your room looks just like you said it did.

Maya looks at him.

MAYA- is that a good or bad thing?

STERLING- it's good very you.

Maya has a half smile.

MAYA- so about this sleeping situation?

Sterling looks at her and they both turn to the bed and then back at each other.

STERLING- I can take the floor and make a little spot.

Maya looks at him and sighs.

MAYA- You don't have to take the floor uptown.

Sterling looks at her confused.

MAYA- We can share the bed...sleep with separate covers?

Sterling smirks.

STERLING- you sure you can handle sharing a bed with me?

MAYA- Are you sure you can handle sharing a bed with me? We know what happened last time.

STERLING-you talked my head off and didn't give me any?

Maya gasps and shoves him.

Sterling laughs. Maya walks over to her closer and pulls out a blanket and gives it to him. They both get in bed and lay on their backs. Both trying to get comfortable but it's an  awkward silence. Each of them afraid to go forward.

MAYA- Sterling.

Sterling turns to look at her. Maya turns to look at him and now they face each other.

MAYA- Why does it feel so awkward?

STERLING- I don't know maybe it's because so much has happened since the last time we were in a situation like this.

MAYA- But I'm comfortable with you.

STERLING- Yeah I think we're so comfortable with each other we're scared to get too comfortable.

Maya laughs a little.

MAYA- thanks for earlier with the whole spaces game stuff. The look on my mother's face was priceless.

STERLING- that was nothing your family not that bad.

MAYA- they can sometimes make me feel so small well not my grandparents.

STERLING- no I know what you mean.

Maya yawns.

MAYA- it felt good for once to be able to over come the attacks.

STERLING-  Yeah you did really well.

Maya wraps herself in her covers more.

STERLING- are you cold?

MAYA- a little but it's always cold in my room and of course the air is on.

Sterling smiles and nods.

STERLING- that's why you have so many blankets.

Maya nods.  Sterling looking at her watching her trying to warm herself up.

STERLING- Okay....Im gonna put my arms around you in a non sexual we kissed before way.

Maya laughs.

Sterling moves closer to her putting his around arms  her.

MAYA- This is nice you're so warm.

Sterling gets a half smile.

STERLING- I wasn't sure how the ride would go but....I'm really happy I came with you. To be honest it's been driving me crazy to not be around you.

Sterling waits for her response.

STERLING- Maya?

She's fast asleep in his arms.  He can't help but smile to himself

INT. MAYAS ROOM - NEXT DAY

We hear LAUGHTER in the house that wakes up Maya.

She quickly looks over and notices Sterling is gone.

MAYA-(V.O) Oh God please don't tell me I farted in my sleep or something.

INT. KITCHEN - MOMENTS LATER

Maya walks downstairs into the kitchen where we see Sterling is in the middle of talking to Melissa and they're eating breakfast.

MAYA-(V.O) I have never seen my mother laugh like this and Sterling is not even funny he has like two jokes. I'm Sterling and sexy haha or I'm Sterling and I drive Maya crazy haha and that's not even funny.

MELISSA- Well good morning MJ.

MAYA- (confused) Good morning....

Sterling gives her a half smile.

STERLING- I made breakfast.

MAYA-like in this kitchen?

Sterling laughing.

MELISSA- Sterling said he makes the best omelet and I wanted to see.

MAYA- since when do you do stuff like that?

MELISSA- like what? Eat.

MAYA- ....(realizing she isn't making sense) Yes.

STERLING- it's okay I made you one.

MAYA- I'm not hungry.

Sterling nods.

STERLING- Okay.

Mariah enters.

MARIAH- good because you need to get dressed and we have to go we have wedding stuff to do.

MAYA- You mean you have wedding stuff to do.

MARIAH- and you and mom are coming with me. Come on we gotta meet the girls.

MAYA- the girls? Like your friends?

MAYA-(V.O) Mariah friends are a bunch laguna beach rejects. It's no way I can last a whole day with them.

MAYA- Can't go I have to stay with Sterling.

CURTIS- Sterling will be with us men.

Curtis enters placing a coffee mug in the sink. David not too far behind.

Sterling has a nervous laugh.

STERLING- and what exactly are the men doing?

Curtis smiles.

CURTIS- We fish.

MAYA- Dad no way you're forcing him on a fishing trip .

CURTIS- if he's gonna be apart of this family he might as well get use to it.

Maya looks at Sterling worried, wanting to come clean, Sterling catches it.

STERLING- So what kind of bait are we packing? And let me see the rods.

Maya looks at him confused. Curtis smirks and puts his arms around him.

CURTIS- I love this kid. Okay now you two lovebirds kiss goodbye and let's go.

Mariah goes to kiss David, they smile at each other.

CURTIS- oh I was talking about MJ and Sterling.

Maya and Sterling eyes widened in a panics they my both share looks.

MAYA- Dad stop being weird.

Curtis laughs.

CURTIS- I'm just saying you're gonna be apart all day.

Curtis kisses Melissa. She laughs.

MELISSA- Oh Curtis please.

Mariah laughs

MARIAH- Sterling probably needs the break.

MAYA-Don't start with me-

Sterling grabs Maya by her waist and kisses her and it's not just normal peck the other couples have given but a REAL kiss. 

They pull apart from each Maya looks at him speechless.

STERLING- that should cover the whole day. Don't miss me too much.

Maya tried to find her words.

MAYA-I'll try not too.

Sterling laughs.

INT. THE KNOT RESTAURANT - DAY

The ladies including Mariah's friends. ASHLEY 20s BRITNEY 20s and TIFFANY 20s all of them just as following behind Mariah like she's their Regina George walk into the high luxury-themed restaurant, which looks more like a fancy upscale venue than a restaurant. Several Kim Kardashian look alike waiters walk around wearing black and white sophisticated uniforms and have head sets. The place is packed.

MARIAH- To my bridesmaids...you have the pleasure of knowing I single handedly picked each of you.

BRITNEY- because we're your best friends?

MARIAH- no who cares about that? It's because you look good in a dress.

They all laugh except Maya Melissa and Nana. Just then, five waiters all holding bottles of wine, and glasses of mimosas and food menus and pass them around the table.

WAITER- Welcome to the Knot! And congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Mariah smiles. The girls all look excited and start pointing at different drinks and food as the waiters start to point at the different options.

MAYA (V.O) the cheapest thing on this menu is sixty dollars and it's literally one crab cake....

MELISSA- Sixty dollars for a crab cake is outrageous.

Maya looks at her mother and then smiles to herself.

MARIAH- Mommy please.

WAITER-(To Maya) so what will you have today?

Maya smiles.

MAYA- another restaurant.

Melissa bursts into laughs. Maya gets a confused smile. Did her mother just laugh at her joke?

EXT. WOODS - DAY

They guys are making their way walking up a dirt road.

Curtis and Pop are in the front while David and Sterling are behind them and behind them are David's friends.  TIM 20s and  AARON 20s.

DAVID- so how did you and MJ meet?

STERLING- at our apartment complex.

TIM- y'all live together already?

STERLING- No she was entering the building as I was leaving.

DAVID- you know soon after this we're gonna be taking this walk for you.

Sterling looks at him confused.

David laughs.

EXT. LAKE/ FISHING AREA - MOMENTS LATER

The guys are prepping their hair and hooks. David is having trouble with his hook.

Pop shakes his head.

POP- His dumb ass.

Sterling and Curtis.

Pop walks over to David to help him.

CURTIS- You know Sterling I never got to thank you for looking after my daughter.

STERLING- Trust me she looks after herself pretty fine.

CURTIS- Yeah she can but still her living in another state. I do often worry about her.

STERLING- Then you should call her more.

Curtis looks at him.

STERLING-respectfully of course...it's just that she misses you too.

CURTIS- she said that?

STERLING- she doesn't have to.

Sterling and Curtis both swing their rods into the lake. 

INT. 'BELLE EN BLANC' BRIDAL SHOP - DAY

They are led into a PRISTINE, ALL-WHITE WONDERLAND of dresses and bridal bliss by WHITNEY, a glamorous woman.

WHITNEY-Welcome to Belle En Blanc ladies,
welcome to heaven.

MAYA- Wow.

MARIAH- I know right.

WHITNEY- Take a look around and get
to know the dresses. If you need anything I'll be in my office.

Tiffany GASPS and walks over to a beautiful ball gown. It looks very expensive.

TIFFANY- Oh. My. Gosh. It's a Fritz
Bernaise. Ladies, I just don't think we can do any better. This is beautiful.

MAYA- Wait you don't have your dress already?

MARIAH- Hell yes my dress was finished last week and should be arriving soon....from France. (smiling)  This is for yall bridesmaids dresses.

The ladies all head off excitedly to different dresses as Maya and Melissa share looks.

INT. BELLE EN BLANC - MAIN FITTING AREA - LATER

The girls are in different dresses. Maya is not there. They look great.

WHITNEY-Well you all look fantastic. Sadly, you need
to agree on one.

BRITNEY-Fritz Bernaise, it's one of a kind. I don't think there's a question.....

Maya walks out of her dressing in a Perfectly Classy Lilac satin strappy dress. She looks crazy gorgeous. The girls GASP.

MARIAH- Whoa.

MAYA- I'm not sure how I feel about it? I know this is exactly the color you wanted but-

MARIAH- Okay Britney and Tiffany go find the other dresses and pray you look as good as my sister and MJ if you wear this dress I'm sure you'll leave my wedding engaged next.

MAYA- now who said I wanted to be engaged?

MELISSA- Your face when you look at Sterling.

MAYA- Ma please. You barely been around us.

MELISSA- does it take more time to notice?

MARIAH- and let's not pretend you don't want to get married.  And you brought Sterling home and not that G boy. So obviously he's the one.

Maya looks at her and swallows.

MAYA- I mean yeah Sterling is a perfect catch. He's kind and he's funny...and on top of that he always gets my jokes. He's very thoughtful. He pays attention to every thing I saw and more importantly he remembers.

MAYA-(V.O) Aw shit.

MELISSA- Now isn't that funny.

MAYA- What?

MELISSA- He said a lot of those same things about you this morning.

MAYA- he talked about me? To you?

MELISSA- He did. MJ I'm sorry for not calling you about Fashion Week.

MAYA- I mean you didn't know....so.....

MELISSA- I would know if I called you and took time to ask how you were doing. Somehow I always assumed you were doing okay because you have always been the child that knew what she wanted.

MARIAH- Hey! What about me?!

Maya and Melissa ignore her.

MAYA- you think I always knew what I wanted? I thought you were disappointed in me.

MELISSA- I know I could show it better...but MJ I could never be disappointed in you.

Maya looks at her touched.

MAYA- Aw mommy.

They embrace each other, tightly.

MARIAH- Hello....I'm the one getting married.

MAYA- shut up this isn't about you.

EXT. FRONT OF JAMES HOUSE - NIGHT

Sterling is getting out of the car.

CURTIS- you sure you don't want to go to dinner?

STERLING- Nah I'm really tired. I'm going sit this one out.

CURTIS- Well the girls are going out to some bar so no one's home but the spare care should be under the mat.

Sterling nods.

STERLING- Thanks. Yall have fun.

INT. MAYAS ROOM - NIGHT

Maya is dancing in her towel just getting out of the shower and singing to herself.

MAYA-(singing) Never met a girl with a mind like this, no, no to give you space at a time like this, my love. Never met a girl so fine like this, no, no, no, no, no with a waist that whine like this, my love.

Sterling walks in.

STERLING- Okay.

Maya jumps and turns around startled.

MAYA- What the hell are you doing here?!

STERLING- I could ask you the same thing!

MAYA- in my house?!

STERLING- this is Curtis and Melissa house.

Maya glares at him.

STERLING- I didn't want to go to dinner with David lame ass and his friends.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- I didn't want to go out either.

They look at each other, there's a pause.

STERLING- so it's just me and you.

Maya lets out a nervous laugh.

MAYA- me and you, you and me. The two of us. Here alone. Nobody else.

Sterling looks at her confused.

STERLING- I'm gonna go take a shower.

MAYA- Naked?!

Sterling pauses. Raises his eye brow with a slight smile.

STERLING- Should I do it with my clothes on?

MAYA- Do what?!

Sterling grabs his bag and walks towards the door.

STERLING- Bye Maya.

Sterling leaves. Maya exhales.

MAYA-(V.O) Fuck fuck fuck.

She rushes to her suitcase.

MAYA-(V.O) We're totally not gonna have sex. I mean we haven't talked. We have a lot to talk about.....but I should be prepared.

She goes through the suitcase searching.

MAYA-(V.O) Aha!

She holds up a silk night gown.

MAYA-(V.O) wait that would send the signal that I want to have sex....do I want to have sex with Sterling? Then again who doesn't want to sex with Sterling?

She sits on the bed.

MAYA-(V.O) you know what I'm gonna go my normal route.

INT. MAYAS ROOM - NIGHT

Maya lays across her bed she's wearing a tank top and big shorts. Sterling enters now in a white tee shirt and basketball shorts.

STERLING- that shower is like top five.

Maya looks up at him and laughs.

MAYA- Right.

STERLING- you okay?

Maya sits up.

MAYA- What? I'm peachy. I'm amazing. I'm-

STERLING- I got it trust me I got.

Sterling laughs.

MAYA-(V.O) shoot me....like right in the foot.

STERLING- You hungry?

MAYA- What did you want to order?

STERLING- order?

Maya looks at him confused.

INT. DINING ROOM - A LITTLE LATER

Maya and Sterling are in the middle of eating.

MAYA- When did you become Gordon Ramsay?

Sterling laughs.

STERLING- see you about to do too much.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- Thank God for that fishing trip. That poor salmon though.

STERLING- circle of life.

They both laugh.

Maya raises her wine glass and begins to sip from it.

MAYA- I had an interesting conversation with my mother today.

Sterling looks at her.

STERLING- About?

MAYA- just that she was proud of me and that she would work on doing better to show that and to be apart of my life.

Sterling smiles.

STERLING- that's good.

MAYA- Yeah...that wasn't the interesting thing though....the part that got me is when she said you talked to her this morning....about me.

Sterling looks at her.

MAYA- how much you care about me.

STERLING- You know I care about you.

MAYA- I'm not talking about you caring about me because I'm good person to work with or who to share your ideas with. You know what I'm talking about?

Sterling looks at her.

MAYA-Why does it seem like you can tell everyone but me? Or is that you really do only like me as a friend that you just happen to kiss sometimes until you're bored of me like Lauren.

Sterling face looks confused and he becomes defensive.

STERLING- Okay then maybe you like the idea of me like Graham.

Maya stands up walking away from the table. Sterling quickly goes after her. Sterling grabs her wrist.

STERLING- I'm sorry. I didn't mean that.

Maya looks at him.

MAYA- if you're not gonna be honest then I'm going to bed.

Sterling sighs.

STERLING- Okay this is the Maya and Sterling story, Sterling's version.

Maya looks at him annoyed.

STERLING- Lauren broke up with me because she saw that I had feelings for you.

Maya looks at him confused.

MAYA- What?

STERLING- she said the only people who couldn't see it was the two of us. From there I did nothing but think about the fact that she's right. I do have feelings for you...I didn't know how to act on it because you were doing your own thing....and then you kissed me during fashion week....and I knew then...I wanted you hell I knew that since the first day we met and I said you know what let's do this....and then the night we were supposed to meet for drinks....I ran into my parents.

MAYA- together?

STERLING-together all over each other.

MAYA- (confused) What?

STERLING- yeah I didn't get the change to tell you because how busy that day was.

MAYA- The crazy ex and merger.

STERLING- exactly. We didn't get much time alone that day. And I was freaking out but I said if my mother is happy then hey. But then that night she called me my father stood her up....and she was really upset....and I thought about all of the stuff Shantel was saying that I did to her and all the other girls before...I figured I would do the same with you and Maya I could never do that to you...I would hate myself.

Maya looks at him.

STERLING- So I went to the cafe....I parked across the street and I was gonna tell you all of this to your face....but when I saw you....I got scared that I would never give up the chance to be with you if I sat at that table.

MAYA- wait you were at the cafe?

Sterling nods.

MAYA- Bro you saw me sitting with myself and didn't say anything?! Sterling?

STERLING- I know trust me it's bad....Maya I know what we could live had.

Sterling looks Maya in the eye.

STERLING- But I was not ready for you....how you make me feel...you're just so real. I thought it would be better to be in your life as a friend instead of me hurting you along the way knowing I wasn't ready. That's the real reason I went to therapy...I wanted to figure this shit out....I say that to say it's never been confusion on my end when it comes to you...you're a sure thing.

Sterling waits for her to say something, and without warning, Maya grabs him, and plants a long, deep, and passionate kiss on him.

INT. MAYAS ROOM - MOMENTS LATER

Maya and Sterling lay in bed. Sterling kisses Maya on the lips ever so gently he starts to help her out of her clothes as he undresses as well.

Maya smiles softly Sterling strokes her face. Maya leans in and kisses him. They stare at each other as he moves on top of her.

INT.MAYA ROOM - DAY

Sterling wakes up. He reaches over for Maya who's gone.  He looks confused.

We hear a knock at the door.

CURTIS-(O.S) Breakfast is ready we have to get ready to leave soon for the Wedding.

STERLING- Okay! (To himself) So I'm not gonna see Maya until the wedding?

INT. WEDDING VENUE - BRIDES ROOM - DAY

Mariah entering in THE MOST OVER-THE-TOP COUTURE WEDDING DRESS EVER IMAGINED. Maya Melissa and Mariah  IMMEDIATLEY starts to laugh.

MARIAH- I did too much?

MAYA- I think this is a perfect Mariah dress.

Melissa smiles.

MELISSA- both of you look beautiful.

Maya and Mariah smile at each other.

MAYA- I'm happy you get to have your day Sis.

MARIAH- I'm happy you're here standing next to me.

Maya nods and gives Mariah a grateful smile. They hug each other.

MELISSA- be careful be careful both of you have on makeup now.

Melissa smiles as she watches them.

EXT. OUTDOOR WEDDING - DAY

DRAMATIC LIGHTING AND MUSIC. A minister is giving the vows to Mariah and David in front of a wall of gigantic flowers.

As the minister continues, we PULL BACK and see Maya and Sterling sharing looks at each other. Maya can't stop blushing.

DAVID- I do.

MINISTER- And do you, Mariah James,
take David...

MARIAH- I do.

PULL BACK MORE to see that Mariah and David are actually standing ON THE WATER as a laser light show is spelling out "THEY DO" inside a beating heart on the fog behind them.

MINISTER- By the powers invested in me, I now
declare you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride.

Mariah and David kiss. BOOM! FIREWORKS start to go off as the LASER LIGHT SHOW goes into overdrive. It's nuts.

EXT. WEDDING RECEPTION  - NIGHT

The bride and groom share their first dance and others begin to join.

Maya is sitting with Melissa when Sterling approaches her.

STERLING- Excuse Misses James.

Maya and Melissa turn to him.

MAYA-(V.O) Sterling plus a suit is undefeated. Damn he's fine.

MELISSA- Which one?

STERLING- The curly hair one.

Maya laughs.

MAYA- Yes?

STERLING- Would you dance with me?

Maya smiles.

MAYA- Yes.

Sterling takes her hand and they head to the dance floor  and begin to dance.  Sterling 's hands on her waist Maya's hands on his shoulders.

STERLING- To not be able to talk to or see you all day and when I finally do it's in this dress? Criminally unfair.

Maya blushes.

MAYA- I do look good.

Sterling focuses on her.

STERLING- You do.

Maya focuses on him. Her eyes filled with hope.

MAYA- So where do we go from here?

Sterling looks at her with sincerity.

STERLING- We go home.

END OF EPISODE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 3.9K 38
"I'll always be here, till the end of the world." When Maya Walker finds nothing to do one fine summer day, she finds no other solution but to hang o...
501K 25.3K 108
Hazel Rose is a talented painter making her way into the art world. But one fated encounter leads her to become the temporary heir of a business afte...
25K 819 52
Maya Marbles is 24 years old. She hasn't had a day off in months. All she does is work to pay her Grandmother's medical bills and keep her Grandmothe...
202 8 11
Maya is a 14 year old girl who is having trouble figuring out her love life. I mean what do you expect when two boys are fighting every second for ju...