delicate

By simp4aSociopath

He hummed, amused. I was growing impatient. "I want you to have sex with me. Whenever I want. For as long as... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48

15

252 4 3
By simp4aSociopath

Damon, Elena, and Stefan left after we considered the possibility that Caroline had killed more people. I was too overwhelmed and exhausted to consider or care where she might end up after her no-humanity-high. Before the three left last night, they decided that I needed to come over to figure out where Caroline may be.

For the past four hours, I've waited here with Stefan and Damon and tried to find a solution to our problem. Elena and Bonnie went to campus for a few hours to study.

"I just don't get why she would turn it off." Damon resurfaced this topic several times before.

I rolled my eyes and got up. "Because she felt too guilty. She didn't want to live with her feelings anymore. I'm sure you can understand wanting to be heartless better than anyone," I yelled as I walked into the kitchen.

Talking about Caroline for four consecutive hours has made my brain turn into a liquid. After a few minutes of silence to myself in the kitchen, I heard the front door open. Elena started talking to Damon. I stayed seated at my stool at the island.

I looked at them as they walked into the kitchen. Elena walked over and slapped a paper down on the counter. I looked down at it.

"She's throwing a rave?"

"Yeah," Elena answered.

I looked at her. "And you didn't stop her?"

"I was too distracted by the fact that she was telling me about a huge party that she's throwing."

"That would've been the best time to snap her neck. Where's Bonnie?"

"She went to talk to Enzo."

I looked back down at the flyer. "Glow in the dark?"

"That's what you're focused on?!"

I looked at her. "I've had to listen to your boyfriend for the last four hours while you were off at Whitmore. You had the chance to get Caroline and you didn't take it. That's what I'm focused on, Elena."

She furrowed her brows, "Do you think you're the only person worried about her?"

"I'm pretty sure I'm the one who's least worried about her. I just feel bad for the people who we're letting die because you feel too guilty to kill a psycho who's wearing the face of your best friend. She chose to flip her switch. Whatever happens to her because of it isn't on me or anyone else, but the innocent people who die because we don't stop her..." I tilted my head. "That's on us."

There was a knock on the front door. She looked at the paper. I looked over at Stefan as he walked out, going to answer the door. I got up from my seat and walked to the cabinet. I pulled out a glass and filled it with water.

I swallowed the drink I took. I took another drink. I turned. I nearly choked on the water as I saw Kai walk into the kitchen behind Stefan. Elena and Damon both glanced at me before turning their attention to the psychopath.

They both tensed immediately. Stefan looked from Damon to Elena to me. Damon started at Kai, But Stefan stopped him, putting his hand on his brother's chest. "He has to say something."

I crossed my arm over my stomach and pressed the glass to my lips. I tried to keep my breathing even. Thoughts of what happened in the alley crossed my mind. I closed my eyes for a minute, curing myself in my mind. I opened my eyes again to see Kai walking to the table and sitting down. He seemed relaxed and kind of bored.

Damon glared at Kai. His fists were tight and ready to knock Kai out. Elena seemed uncomfortable and impatient. Stefan seemed more uncomfortable. His arms were crossed over his chest as he leaned back against the island.

Kai glanced at me. I gripped my shirt in my hand. His eyes were only on me for a second, but it felt like years. My stomach flipped as his gaze darkened. He turned his focus back to the other three, a smirk resting on his face. It's like he's begging to be killed.

I held the glass against my chest, holding it as closely as I would a child.

I could only pick up on bits and pieces of what he said. "Mistakes.... Killing a lot of people. Like a lot.... Merge... Luke's personality..."

I snapped back into reality. "What?"

They all looked at me. I've been silent for the last 15 minutes. "In the merge, I didn't just get Luke's power. I also got some of his personality traits. Like... emotions."

I felt my chest tighten, "Oh, god," I muttered. My head spun as I processed what that could mean for us.

"What is it?" Stefan asked.

My throat burned from the lies building up. I shook my head. "Nothing." I looked at him. "I was just... thinking."

The three of them gave me a look. "Anyway," Kai continued. They all turned back to him. Kai continued his rant about emotions and his need to seek forgiveness from everyone.

I turned to the sink and sat my empty glass down quietly. I closed my eyes and tried to tune him out. The only reason things weren't complicated between us was because only one of us could get attached easily. And I still have hate stored in my heart for him. The minute he realizes he can actually get rid of that by caring about me, I'm screwed.

I'm already screwed.

I turned back to them. I crossed my arms over my chest as I tried to listen.

"How do we know you're being honest? You could easily flip on us," Elena responded to a previous statement.

"You can ask Evelyn about my honesty policy." He looked at me. All of them looked at me. I looked from Kai to the three of them.

"What is he talking about?" Damon sounded uncomfortable.

"The deal we made. He's done a lot of things but he's never lied to me."

Stefan's face twisted to a look of contemplation. "What do you mean?"

I felt my heart speed up. "I mean he held up his end. He said he wouldn't hurt anyone and he didn't. That's all."

"A little birdie told me that Care Bear is missing." We all looked at Kai as he stood up and continued talking. "I could help look for her."

"Okay, but what would you want? You wouldn't do anything if it didn't benefit you," Damon commented in a snarky tone.

If only he knew...

"It's a show of good faith. I'll help and then you'll realize I'm not just a cold-blooded killer anymore."

"Anymore," Stefan said. "It doesn't change what you did."

"Nobody changes that f-"

"There's a party tonight," I interrupted Elena. Kai looked at me as I continued. "Caroline's throwing it."

"Evelyn," Stefan warned.

I uncrossed my arms and continued talking to Kai. "If you find her beforehand, do whatever you can to get her back to my house."

He grinned, "No problem." He picked up on the fact that I need him to leave now. I watched as he disappeared right before my eyes. An invisibility spell. How convenient.

The three of them panicked at first, questioning where he went then turning their anger to me.

"Why would you tell him that?!"

I looked at the flyer as I grabbed it. "Because he offered to help." I looked up at them.

"He's a psychopath! He was obviously lying!"

I looked at Damon. "Did you not listen to a single thing he said? When he merged with Luke, he got Luke's traits. And even before he did, he didn't just lie for fun."

"How would you know?! You've known him for a week! You've been around him three times!"

I kept myself calm. "Because he didn't lie to me."

"You had five conversations!"

"How would you know how many conversations we've had, or how well I know him?"

"So how well do you know him?" Elena questioned.

"Well enough to know he's not a liar."

"Why are you defending him?!"

I looked at Damon, "I've been asking that same question about you for years."

"You can't compare them," Stefan argued.

I looked at him, "I just did."

He looked furious. "You've lost your mind."

I sat the paper down. "Has your quota for redemption finally reached its peak after a century of putting up with Damon?"

"Evelyn-"

"Or do you just feel threatened by the fact that people other than the ones you know can change?"

"Evelyn," Damon warned.

I looked at him. "Yeah, I know. I need to leave." I looked at Stefan. "You're not the only person in this world who gets to choose who gets a second chance."

He was quiet for a minute. "He's the guy... right?"

I was caught off guard but I didn't let my expression break. "Yeah," I answered.

A disappointed look crossed his face. I felt disgusted by the fact that he could be so hypocritical. I walked out of the kitchen then out of the house.

After getting home, I rushed inside. I slammed the front door. I tossed my keys onto the table by the door. I walked into the living room. Kai was sitting on the couch. He was holding a book. He closed it and tossed it onto the table.

"Let me guess," he started.

"No." I walked further into the living room. "Why would you do something like that?! You realize they don't believe you, right? They think you're a psychotic liar who only cares about himself."

"But you don't think that." He smiled. "You defended me, didn't you?"

"I didn't have a choice! You showed up unannounced at the worst time possible! My sister is AWOL and all you care about is getting laid and proving to people who could care less that you actually have human emotions!"

He stood up. "I want to help you, Evelyn! I want to help find your sister because I know you care about her! I thought you would understand that! And I know that you also care about your friends, so I thought making amends would help!"

"Why would you do this?!"

He walked closer. "Because I thought you would want me to!" He sighed, exasperated. "I'm not lying about getting Luke's emotions. I'm not lying to you about wanting to help you. I don't understand a single thing that's happening to me, but I understand that you can help me. And you won't want to help me unless I get better." There was hurt in his expression and it made the tears in my eyes roll down my cheeks.

I felt speechless. "I don't think you're lying. I just don't understand why you needed to show up there."

He walked closer. "I was just trying to fix things."

I shook my head as I inhaled sharply. "No."

He put his hands on my shoulders and stared into my eyes. "I just want to be better, baby. Please," he whispered.

I tilted my head. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I..." I didn't know what to say. Visions of what he could be danced across my mind. I was filled with hope that he could change.

He stared at his thumbs as he wiped away my tears. I sighed a breath of relief and closed my eyes as I closed the distance between us. I wrapped my arms around him. He was tense for a moment. I felt his hand move to the back of my head. His other arm wrapped around me, resting on my back and holding me against him.

The realization that this is the first time we've ever hugged, and this is probably his first hug in over a decade, hit me suddenly and I held him tighter. I fisted his shirt in my hands, burying my face in his chest. He pressed a kiss to the top of my head. After he lifted his head I could hear how shaky his breathing was.

After a minute, I pulled back. I tilted my head back and looked at him. His brows were furrowed, and an expression of worry covered his face. I moved my hand to the back of his neck and pulled him down to kiss me. His lips hovered over mine for a second.

"It's okay," I whispered.

He sighed as his lips connected with mine. I slid my hand into his hair. He moved his hands to my waist, polling me against him. I kept my other hand at his side. I arched my back, leaning into his body as I pushed up onto my toes. He angled his head to the side, kissing me deeper.

I tried to stay in the moment and appreciate what's happening, but it feels too real. He can feel things now. He will have to learn how to process things like a normal person. He will get irrationally angry because he's confused about how he's feeling. I'll have to empathize with him because I know he feels things now. I won't be able to ignore the fact that I could hurt him.

I stopped kissing him. I pulled away from him. I took a few steps back. I looked at his face. He looked confused. "You realize what could happen now, right?"

He shook his head once, "What are you talking about?"

"Now that everyone knows that you aren't a sociopath they'll find out that you care about things and they'll use it against you."

He stared for a minute. His expression hardened. "You think they'll use you against me."

"Yes."

"It's not like I actually care about you."

I don't know why I feel hurt. "But you-"

"I want your help, Evelyn. I want you to help me. I never said that I care about you."

I felt betrayed somehow. Oddly enough I don't believe him, though. "So what are you doing here?"

He furrowed his brows, "We had a deal."

I scoffed, "Do you seriously think now is the time?"

"I didn't know there was a schedule."

I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. I started walking away. "Go home."

He followed after me. "We have an ongoing deal, Evelyn." He stopped me at the bottom of the steps, grabbing me and pushing me against the wall, keeping his hands pinned on my waist. I looked at his face. I didn't mask the anger I felt. "End it now if it's not what you want. If you're hurt by what I don't feel for you then you'll be devastated by what I think of you." He leaned closer.

I wanted to kill him. I thought we were getting somewhere. I moved my hands to his shoulders. His lips were inches from mine. "I hate you."

"I couldn't care less."

...

I grabbed my phone before walking out of my room. An hour before Kai left I got a text from Caroline telling me to dress for the theme of the party. After that she blocked me.

I locked the front door after walking out.

"I thought you weren't a party girl." I froze and lifted my head. Hearing Ryan's voice made me feel lighter. I turned to see him standing on the top step with his hands in his pockets. I gasped softly. He tilted his head, "Did you m-"

I was hugging him tightly before he could finish his sentiment. My eyes were shut tightly as he wrapped his arms around me tighter. I exhaled shakily.

"What's wrong, Ev?"

I opened my eyes. I realized the last time we talked was before everything with Kai. I stepped back from him, distancing myself. "Shouldn't you be with your family?"

He took a breath before answering. "Everything's sorted out now." He offered a tight lipped smile. "I wanted to come check on you. You haven't been answering your phone." He lifted a hand. "I thought you were dead for a minute," he laughed and dropped his hand.

I laughed breathily. "Right. I might as well be. I would probably be better off."

He furrowed his brows, "What do you mean?'

I checked the time on my phone and sighed. "I have to go." I looked at him.

"To a party? I'll come." He started to walk backward to the car. "You can explain why you're so weird on the way." A wide smile spread across his lips.

I followed him to my car. I threw the keys to him and he caught them with one hand as he opened the door. Once we were both buckled he started driving.

On the way, I explained everything that's happened with Kai. When he asked for more detail he regretted it after. Then I told him about my mom and what's happening to Caroline and the party.

He seems a little offset by the information, but otherwise normal. We're walking side by side along the cars.

"So Stefan's the only other one who knows?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "And I know he probably won't say anything, but if he thinks I'm in danger or that Kai will hurt me he'll tell everyone."

"The sex is good, right? Or else this would be for nothing."

I laughed softly. "You have no idea."

"But..."

I looked at him. He was staring at me, waiting for an answer. I looked forward again. "I don't know if it's really worth it. He's annoying and he's horrible to everyone and after-"

"Except you."

I glanced at him then looked away again. "Except me. After today I just feel like he's better off on his own. But I know what he's been through and I understand why he acts the way he does."

"I leave you alone for a few weeks and your life is in shambles."

I looked at him. "It's like I'm living in hell."

He smiled and looked at the ground. "Here's an idea." We stopped walking and he turned to face me. He looked up from the ground to my face. "You pretend that he's just another bad guy and you aren't getting dicked down every night. Pretend that he's just some guy you met at a party who's helping you out. And if you want I can help you avoid him tonight."

I tilted my head, "That would be great except he's not a very- how do I put this... He's very attached."

He tried to fight the grin that spread across his lips. He nodded once. He walked toward the open doors that people were filling out of. I followed after him pleading for elaboration on his act a few seconds ago. He ignored my request and wrapped his arms around me from the side, pulling me against his body. I pushed against his chest as I fought off my laughter.

"Stop!" I looked up at him. "This is a serious party."

He smiled down at me, his hands firmly pressed against my body. "You would think with all the sex you're having you wouldn't be so uptight."

I put my hand at the side of his face and looked into his eyes. "First of all, that's not funny. And second," I pushed away from his hold and turned to face him. "Don't say it so loudly."

He tilted his head and grabbed my hands. "Fine. My bad."

"Now help me find them."

He sighed and looked away from me. I scanned the crowd as he did. "Ryan," Damon exclaimed.

I groaned and looked over to see Damon. Ryan let go of my hand as they shook hands, bringing each other closer then patting each other on the back. They separated and Ryan stepped back, standing beside me.

"Evelyn didn't tell us you were coming back to town."

"She didn't know." Ryan put his hand on my lower back and I tensed up.

I looked at Damon. "He just showed up."

"Then she told me there was a party. I couldn't miss it."

Damon looked at me. "Stefan's looking for you."

I furrowed my brows, "Why?"

He sighed. "Go ask him. He's around here somewhere."

"No. If he wants to talk to me he can come find me."

He rolled his eyes. He looked at Ryan. "Wanna get a drink?"

Ryan looked at me. I nodded once. He turned to Damon. "Let's go."

They pushed their way through the crowd to get to the bar. I stared for a minute, hoping Ryan would stop wanting to be friends with Damon. They're similar and I hate myself for not noticing it.

"When did he get back?"

I looked to my side to see Stefan. I looked at Ryan again. "It doesn't matter. We're here for Caroline."

I started to turn to head upstairs but he grabbed my arm and turned me to face him. He looked down into my eyes. "We have to talk about this."

I tilted my head, "You just want to lecture me about how horrible I am for sleeping with a murderer."

"No. I want to make sure you understand-"

"How dangerous it is? Believe me, I know!" I pulled away from him, marching toward the steps. I could feel him following me.

He pulled me to the side of the steps by the waist and stepped in front of me. He kept his hands on the bannister on either side of my body. He was pressed against me. I felt like he had stolen the breath from my lungs. He stared deeply into my eyes.

"It's not-"

"Shut up," He interrupted. His lips were inches from mine.

Everything faded around us. The noise was reduced to nothing. The flashing lights were blurred. All I could feel was him.

"Listen to me." His voice was soft and demanding. His eyes flicked to my lips for a moment. "He's a distraction and you know it. Whatever you're doing with him needs to stop. Even if he changes and he's different, he's not good for you."

"You think the only reason I'm with him is because of you." I found myself back in reality: Cornered by Stefan on the staircase. I scoffed. "You've completely lost it."

"You said yourself. You're using him to get over me."

"If I was with anyone else you wouldn't be anywhere near as pissed as you are now. You're just bothered that I'm with Kai. And so what if I'm using him to get over you?! I'm not spending the rest of my life obsessed with someone who could probably care less about me." I stared at him for a minute. "Now let me go so I can go find Caroline before she kills someone else."

"No. You need to understand that you can't be with him."

I felt frustrated and trapped. "He's trying to change and fix himself. Let him have a chance."

His jaw was clenched and he looked angry. He didn't speak. My frustration was fading as I thought about what he could truly be feeling. Fear. Fear of losing me. Fear that I get hurt or die. I cupped his face in my hands and stared into his eyes.

"I love you and I trust you. So I need you to trust me. He deserves this. And I know it will take time for you. I just want you to give him a chance."

He was silent for a few seconds. "Okay," he whispered.

I was surprised. "Thank you."

He moved his hands to mine and pulled my hands between us as he stepped back. "I'm going to look for Caroline."

I nodded. "Okay."

He stared at me for a minute before walking back down the steps. I didn't spend too much time staring at him. I made my way up the rest of the steps. There were a few people making out in the darkness of the back. I distanced myself from the wall of lust.

I planted my hands on the bannister and stared down at the crowd, searching for Caroline or anything that an immoral vampire would do. After 20 minutes of standing and watching, my heels were digging into my feet and making me want to fall over.

"You get hotter every time I see you."

I rolled my eyes hearing Kai's voice. "Go back to the cage you crawled out of."

He stopped beside me, leaving a few inches of space between us. He slid his hand closer to mine. "Why are you so upset? Were the three orgasms not enough for you?"

"Oh my..." I looked at him. "Shut up!"

He smirked. "There's no one around us. I checked."

I looked back down again. "It doesn't matter. They could still hear us."

"I'd really like to test that theory."

I looked at him. "No. That's not what we're here for. And do you know how easy it would be to get caught?"

He looked at my lips, "Let's find out." I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. I started to walk away. He followed me. "Don't you think it would be fun? And you could easily make everyone realize that you're not some spineless girl who does everything she's told."

I stopped and turned to face him. "How hard is it for you to understand that no one can know about this?"

"Stefan knows. It's only a matter of time before everyone else knows too."

I furrowed my brows, "Why do you act like this? You told me you wanted to change."

"Yeah, my psychopathic tendencies, not my flirty personality."

"You think this is flirting?!"

He smirked, "Yeah."

I scoffed, "You really are insane."

"Says the one who enjoys being choked."

I tilted my head, "Don't go there."

"I'm already there, Evelyn. Just join me and this entire experience will be much more enjoyable."

I shook my head, "How about we just look for Caroline so you can prove to everyone that you're not some heartless killer with daddy issues?"

His face went blank. He stared at me for a minute. "Fine," he answered flatly.

I was surprised by his reaction. Banter is our thing. I may have been annoyed by what he was saying but I didn't take it to heart the way he did.

Before I could take back what I said, he walked away and went back down the stairs. I stopped myself from following him.

In the span of the next 45 minutes, I was found by Ryan, who forced a shot of tequila down my throat to make me loosen up, and searched hopelessly for Caroline.

"I don't think she's here," Damon said as he walked up to me. He turned to face where I was looking as he stepped next to me.

"This was probably just to distract you guys," Kai responded as he walked in front of us. I exhaled shakily. He looked at Damon.

"Caroline would never miss her own rave. Especially with her humanity off." Damon sounded irritated.

"Damon's right," Stefan added as he walked over. He stood beside Kai but kept his distance. My heart was racing unbelievably fast but I couldn't understand why.

Our attention was snagged by cheering at the bar. There was a group of people shouting chug as someone in the center threw back a beer.

I felt someone grab my arm. I looked over to see Elena. "I'm gonna check outside. Come with me."

I was confused on why she was asking me but I followed her out anyway as she held my hand tightly. I sighed in relief once we stepped outside. We started walking. The conversation between us was nonexistent. I was tempted to leave her out here by herself.

"I don't think she's out here," I said as I stopped walking.

She turned to face me as she walked in front of me. "What were you and Stefan really talking about earlier?"

I furrowed my brows, "What?"

"Back at the house, he asked you about Kai being the guy. What guy?"

I shook my head, "I don't know what you're talking about." I stepped back, "I'm going back inside."

"You've been really shut off lately, Evelyn."

I sighed. "I just don't feel like being-"

"Fine. What were you talking about on the staircase?"

I furrowed my brows, "I don't have to answer you. I have to find Caroline so I'm going back inside." I turned away from her and walked back into the party. I found my way back to Kai and Damon. The group was missing Stefan. "Where did he go?"

Damon glanced at me before pointing to the bar. I looked over. Stefan and Caroline were inches from each other and whispering. I felt a pang in my chest. It may have been from jealousy or rage, either way I don't want to be here.

"What are they talking about?"

"Why? Are you jealous?"

I looked at Kai. "There are far more important things to worry about right now." I looked at Damon, "What are they saying?"

Damon turned to me, "Go find Ryan and get out. Now."

I furrowed my brows, "What are you-"

"Now, Evelyn."

I felt scared and confused. "I don't understand. Why do I need to leave?"

Damon turned away from me and sighed in frustration. He scanned the crowd. He walked off. I watched as he stopped in front of Ryan and said something. Ryan looked at me. He seemed alert now.

I turned to Kai and walked closer. "What's going on?"

He looked at me. There was an expression on his face that I had never seen on him before. "I'll find you later, but you need to go now."

I felt someone grab my arm. "Come on, Ev."

I let Ryan pull me away as I kept staring at Kai.

...

I stared at my phone sitting on the kitchen table. I waited for it to vibrate or light up. Nothing. It's been silent for the last five hours. Ryan went to sleep an hour ago but I couldn't. I felt too anxious.

There was a knock on the front door. I got up and walked out of the kitchen. I pulled open the front door. Kai stared at me with a calm look on his face.

I let him in and shut the door. I'm not worried about who could find us or what could happen. I walked closer to him. "What happened?"

He furrowed his brows. "No one called you?"

"No. I've been waiting for hours and no one-"

"Do you know why Ryan's back?"

I was confused. "He said he wanted to check on me." I shook my head, "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Caroline is the one who called him, Evelyn. She was planning to kill him when he got back."

I shook my head, "Caroline wouldn't-" I paused. She would do that. "Why would she do that?"

"Where is he?"

"Sleeping. Why does she want to kill him?"

"To hurt you." The fear that she could kill Ryan was filling my entire body. He stepped closer. "Nothing's going to happen to him, Evelyn."

I shook my head, "You don't know that."

He put his hands on my shoulders, "He will be fine."

"When Caroline wants something she doesn't stop until she gets it. If she wants to kill Ryan, she will. I won't be able to stop her and neither will anyone else. Why is she trying to take him from me? He doesn't deserve-"

"Stop, Evelyn."

I shook my head, "I never should've told him about any of this or brought him here. Leaving this town was a mistake. I should've-"

He moved closer, moving his hands to the sides of my face and leaning down to kiss me. I was frozen for a moment. I moved my hands to his arms and leaned into the kiss. I felt my mind ease as I became involved in something other than overthinking.

He pulled his head back and I opened my eyes. He stared into my eyes. "Stop," he whispered.

I'm not sure why, but I'm calmer now. I've never been handled the way he handles me. It surprisingly works.

His jaw tightens as he swallows. His brows furrow for a fleeting second before he becomes tense. The look in his eyes fades as his face hardens. His touch feels colder but still warm.

He let go of me then took a step back. I didn't question it too much.

"You should get him out of here as soon as possible."

I nodded once, "I will." He stared at me. There was a dead look in his eyes. I screwed something up. "I'm sorry about earlier."

He looked confused. "What are you talking about?"

I tilted my head. "When we were talking and I said the thing about you having-"

He shook his head, "It's fine. It wasn't... It was just a joke."

I nodded, "Right."

He glanced at the door, "I should go."

I was confused on why he wasn't pushing for sex. "Oh," I whispered.

He walked toward the door. I turned to face him to ask what was wrong but he was already gone. I stared at the door. I thought about going after him and what I would say if I do. He's upset. He knows he's upset but he may not know how to handle it.

I opened the door. He was standing at the end of the sidewalk staring at the house. His eyes found mine. The rain was pouring down. I walked out of the house, going toward him. I stopped a foot from him. He avoided looking at me.

"Go back inside." He sounded exhausted.

"No."

He sighed and looked to the side. "Evelyn-"

"What's wrong with you?"

He looked down at me. "What?"

"We're not friends, Kai. You aren't supposed to care about me. We're just supposed to have sex. You're screwing it up."

"We're not friends!"

"Then why did you come over?! Anyone could've called or came over, but you did!"

"You're being ridiculous, Evelyn!"

"No I'm not!"

"I needed to make sure you weren't dead! Everyone would've blamed me if you were."

I tilted my head, "Staying away from me would solve that problem."

He scoffed, "Yeah."

"Why did you kiss me?"

"To make you shut up."

I stared at him, blinking as rain caught on my eyelashes. "Why didn't you take it further?"

He sighed and tilted his head, "Because you would've complained and we could get caught so then you would've complained more."

"Ryan already knows about us."

He shook his head, "Whatever. Do you want to have sex?"

"I want you to tell me what the hell is going on with you."

"Nothing, Evelyn! Nothing is going on with me!"

I stepped closer, putting my hands on his chest. "Yes there is, you're acting differently."

He stared at me, not saying anything for a minute. He put his hands on mine. "I've got a lot going on."

"Like what?"

"Like redeeming myself and making amends." He stared into my eyes. "I don't have time for this.

I tilted my head, "You mean... for me."

He opened his mouth to speak but paused. He wrapped his hands around mine and pulled them away from his chest. "I have to go, Ev."

I shook my head once. "What do you mean?"

He looked at our hands as he let go. "I need you to end this. It's better for both of us."

I feel betrayed. I shouldn't, though. "Fine."

He was silent for a moment, staring at me with furrowed brows. "Make sure he-"

"I know," I said sharply.

His expression faded to nothing. He stared at me blankly. He nodded, accepting that I'm not happy. He walked to his car and got in. I watched as he drove away. I breathed out slowly, trying to relieve the tension in my chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251K 8.3K 50
Living in Mobile has it times. Nobody wants to get out of this city more than me. I'm Lauren Savage... I guess my name kinda speaks for itself. 20, S...
130K 3.3K 57
"Mmm you know.. I can sense you princess, why don't you just come out, have a drink and a little chat with me? It'll be easier for both of us..." ::...
43.9K 449 10
Read my random short stories abt imagine you're with them
36.8K 746 23
I, Carter Lynette, lost my memory due to my sucky ex. He was abusive and my friend found out from bruises on my body from him. He found out and hunte...