A New Beginning || Gilbert Bl...

By L0VECalla

Amid the rustic charm and the serene landscapes of Prince Edward Island, Lydia Miller steps into the light of... More

CAST
PLAYLIST
ACT ONE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 7

91 4 1
By L0VECalla

"Life is full of mysteries waiting to be uncovered, just like Mr. Phillips' elusive pet mouse." - Celia Fox

Chapter 7 - Whispers and Wonders

-+-

As the morning sun streamed through the schoolhouse windows, casting long shadows on the wooden floor, two boys approached Lydia, Anne, and Diana, who were standing a little apart from the rest of the students. Diana had a firm grip on Anne's arm, her gaze shifting cautiously between the newcomers and her friends.

"I'm Moody Spurgeon," announced one of the boys, his voice carrying a mix of eagerness and nervousness typical of new introductions.

Anne, always ready to meet new people, responded with her characteristic warmth. "I'm Anne, and this is Lydia," she said, gesturing towards Lydia with a friendly smile.

Diana, feeling the need to clarify the relationship further, added, "Lydia is my adopted sister," ensuring the boys understood the familial bond she shared with Lydia.

The other boy, with a shy but genuine smile, introduced himself. "I'm Charlie," he said.

"Charlie Sloane," Diana interjected, perhaps to add a bit of context or maybe to imply something more about Charlie's reputation or character.

"Happy to meet you," Anne replied, her smile never wavering, embodying the kindness and openness she was known for.

Lydia, who had been more reserved, finally spoke up, "Nice to meet you too," her voice soft but friendly, indicating her willingness to make new acquaintances despite any initial reservations.

Sensing a teaching moment, or perhaps to inject a bit of her humor into the situation, Diana leaned closer to Lydia and Anne. With a conspiratorial whisper meant only for their ears, she advised, "Don't talk to the boys," adding with a hint of playful disdain, "They're ridiculous."

"Nice to see you, too, Diana," he said, his smirk widening as he casually draped an arm around Moody Spurgeon's shoulder. Moody, ever the playful spirit, shrugged it off with a chuckle, a simple gesture that hinted at the easy camaraderie between the boys.

Diana, unfazed by the boys' antics, turned her attention back to Lydia and Anne, her voice dropping to a whisper as she shared a piece of insider information. "All except Gilbert Blythe," she said, a grin playing on her lips. "He's dreamy, but he won't be here today." Her words sparked a flicker of interest in Lydia, who found herself curious about this Gilbert Blythe, a boy who had already become a topic of whispered conversations even in his absence.

As they stood there, a group of girls approached, their steps measured and their expressions a mix of curiosity and scrutiny. Diana, ever the gracious host, introduced Anne to them. "This is Jane Andrews, Josie Pye, Ruby Gillis, and Tillie Boulter," she said, gesturing towards each girl in turn. "Everybody, this is Anne."

The girls offered their greetings in a chorus of polite tones. "Hello, Anne," Jane said, her voice warm. "Hello," Ruby echoed, while Tillie added, "Nice to meet you."

Anne, with her inherent flair for the dramatic and her heart always on her sleeve, responded with a flourish. "It is a scrumptious pleasure to make your acquaintances," she declared, her eyes sparkling with sincerity. "And I shall do my utmost to prove myself worthy of your friendship."

Her words, though heartfelt, seemed to perplex the girls, their expressions shifting from confusion to curiosity. Lydia, observing the exchange, felt a pang of discomfort at their reaction. She couldn't help but frown, disheartened by their less-than-welcoming response to Anne's earnest introduction.

"Uh... Anne loves to read," Diana interjected, a hint of urgency in her voice. "And she knows ever so many big words."

Her attempt, however, seemed to spark a different reaction from what she had hoped. "Does she use them all in every sentence?" Josie inquired, her tone dripping with derision. A chuckle escaped her lips, echoing rudely through the small gathering.

Lydia's eyes narrowed at Josie's comment, a protective glare directed towards someone who dared mock her friend. Before the tension could escalate, Tillie interjected, her voice cutting through the awkwardness. "I like to read, too," she said, momentarily drawing attention away from the brewing conflict.

Ruby, quick to respond, quipped, "No, you don't," a statement that seemed to deflate Tillie's brief moment of camaraderie.

"No, I don't," Tillie admitted, shaking her head in agreement, a sheepish smile on her face.

Jane, seeking to change the subject, turned to Anne with a more congenial tone. "I saw you at the church picnic," she said. "I'm sorry, I should have said hello."

Anne, ever the optimist, smiled warmly. "There were an awful lot of people there."

"Mother wouldn't let me," Jane added, hinting at constraints that went beyond personal choice.

Lydia, listening to the exchange, felt a twinge of sadness. Like Anne, she too had noticed the lack of personal greetings at the picnic, a realization that made her feel isolated among the faces of supposed camaraderie.

The conversation took another turn when Josie, undeterred by the previous rebuffs, decided to aim another barbed question at Anne. "Why do they make you wear that old lady dress?" she asked, her rudeness unabated.

This time, Lydia could no longer hold back her indignation. With a voice firmer than before and a spark of defiance in her eyes, she addressed Josie directly. "How about you mind your business!" Lydia retorted, her words a clear stand against the unwarranted judgment being passed on her friend.

The sudden sharpness in Lydia's voice cut through the murmured conversations like a knife, bringing an abrupt silence to the group. Josie's eyes widened in surprise, unaccustomed to being challenged so directly, especially by the newcomer. The other girls exchanged glances, the air thick with tension.

"What?" Josie's incredulous reaction reverberated through the air, her shock evident in every syllable she uttered. Yet Lydia remained resolute, her words a steadfast declaration in the face of Josie's taunts.

"I said mind your business," Lydia reiterated, her tone firm and unwavering.

Josie's smirk widened, a knowing glint in her eyes as she continued to provoke Lydia with her cutting remarks. But before the situation could escalate further, Diana stepped in, her calming presence a welcome intervention in the brewing conflict.

"Let's all take a deep breath and try to calm down," Diana urged her voice a soothing balm amidst the rising tension.

However, any hope for peace was short-lived as a sudden cacophony of barking shattered the uneasy silence. All heads turned in unison, drawn to the source of the commotion—a boy with disheveled blonde hair, his antics drawing both amusement and consternation from the crowd.

Anne, her expression a mixture of disapproval and frustration, voiced her disdain for the boy's behavior, her words a stern rebuke.

"You're ridiculous," Anne retorted, her frown deepening at the boy's feigned surprise.

Undeterred by Anne's admonishment, the boy persisted in his mockery, drawing attention to Lydia and Anne with his outlandish remarks.

"Leave Anne alone," Lydia interjected, her voice laced with steely resolve as she defended her friend against the boy's jibes.

But the boy, undeterred by Lydia's admonition, continued his antics, his astonishment feigned as he issued absurd commands to Lydia and Anne.

"There is another talking dog too!" he exclaimed, his amazement palpable as he continued to taunt them.

Amid the chaos, Jane intervened, her exasperation evident as she reprimanded her brother's behavior, urging him to cease his antics.

"Sit. Stay. Roll over," Billy commanded, his words dripping with sarcasm as he persisted in his mockery of Lydia and Anne.

Billy's absurd display reverberated through the girl's group, prompting Jane to intervene with an apologetic glance. "Don't mind my brother," she offered, acknowledging his ridiculous behavior with a resigned smile.

Billy, undeterred, continued his antics by leaning against Tillie and Ruby, punctuating his presence with another round of barking. The girls collectively rolled their eyes as he sauntered away, leaving them to navigate the aftermath of his juvenile performance.

Jane, seizing the opportunity to share some unwritten wisdom, leaned in to advise Anne and Lydia. "Never let the boys know when they've upset you," she cautioned, her tone a mix of experience and exasperation. Rudy chimed in with her own piece of advice, "Never let them know when you like them, either," offering a perspective that Tillie nodded in agreement with.

As the conversation shifted to the challenges of school life, Anne and Lydia exchanged knowing glances. "School... is a lot to contend with," Anne remarked, casting a contemplative look at Diana. Lydia nodded in silent agreement, empathizing with Anne's sentiments.

Josie, always ready to inject a dose of rudeness, interjected with a question that betrayed her biases. "Have you both ever been to a real school, or did they just send you both to a special orphan school?" she asked, her tone dripping with condescension.

Diana, ever the peacemaker, swiftly redirected the group. "Come on, Anne, you too Lydia. Let's finish the tour," she urged, skillfully maneuvering the girls in different directions. "Bring your milk, Anne," she added with a warm smile, a gesture to continue their exploration outside.

With that, the girls moved forward, leaving behind the eccentricities of Billy and the unpleasant undertones of Josie's comments.

Once outside, Diana took the lead, with Anne and Lydia trailing behind her.

"Set your milk down next to mine and Lydia's," Diana instructed Anne, guiding her to ensure their beverages would stay cold.

Anne obediently walked over to the stream and placed her milk alongside Diana's and Lydia's. As she returned, a furrow creased her brow. "I must have done something wrong just then," she said, her frown deepening. "I don't know what it was."

Lydia's heart sank at Anne's words, empathizing with her friend's confusion. "Don't worry about it," she reassured her softly, offering a supportive smile.

Diana, ever the leader, stepped in to offer guidance. "Let me tell you the ins and outs of lunch," she said, drawing Anne and Lydia's attention. With practiced ease, she began explaining the dynamics of their social circle.

Diana and Lydia let go of each other's hands momentarily as Anne joined them, forming a united trio as they made their way towards the schoolhouse.

"All the girls in our clique sit together," Diana explained, her tone matter-of-fact. "We've made a kind of clubhouse with no boys allowed."

"I usually sit next to Jane, but sometimes she sits with her sister Prissy," she continued, providing insights into their lunchtime routine. "And Tillie sits on the other side of Josie."

With Diana's guidance, Anne and Lydia absorbed the intricacies of their social landscape, preparing themselves for the dynamics of the lunch hour and the nuances of their interactions with their classmates.

"You both will need to gauge the situation since we always sit the same way," Diana said, her voice carrying a tone of authority. "Everybody shows what they brought, and we divide it equally."

Halting in her steps, Diana turned to face Lydia and Anne, her gaze fixed on them with a sense of expectation.

"Anyone who doesn't share is considered an awful mean," she explained, her words laden with the weight of social etiquette. "I hope you brought enough for everyone since it won't do to eat without sharing."

Lydia glanced at Anne, noticing her distracted demeanor. Following Anne's line of sight, she spotted Billy and another boy sitting by the window. Though she couldn't discern their conversation, Lydia offered Anne a reassuring squeeze of her hand, silently acknowledging her discomfort. Meanwhile, Diana remained absorbed in her world, continuing to elucidate the lunchtime customs practiced by her friends and herself.

"What'd you bring, Anne?" Diana questioned, her attention focused on Anne's contribution.

"Josie Pye doesn't like me at all," Anne interjected quickly, her words tinged with apprehension.

"Me too," Lydia added in solidarity, her gaze flickering between Anne and Diana.

Unaware of the significance of their statements, Diana forged ahead, oblivious to their underlying concerns.

"I brought a lace-trimmed handkerchief," Diana announced proudly, a smile gracing her lips. "It should make a lovely presentation."

"Hopefully your apple is already sliced for sharing," she added, her tone laced with expectation.

"Apple? I- I-" Anne stumbled over her words, caught off guard by Diana's assumption.

"Come on. I'll show you both the rest," Diana declared, seizing Lydia's and Anne's arms

Lydia couldn't shake off her worry for Anne. They made their way to the other side of the schoolhouse, the distant chime of the school bell serving as a constant reminder of the passing time.

"Avonlea schooling is very progressive," Diana elucidated, her voice carrying a note of pride. "We have a second room for the youngsters."

Halting in front of the younger students' building, Diana offered a friendly wave to the older teacher overseeing the class. The teacher reciprocated the greeting before instructing the young ones to take their seats. Lydia's gaze wandered to the blackboard, her brow furrowing in confusion as she tried to decipher the unfamiliar symbols and numbers.

"Diana, what kind of sums are those?" Anne inquired, her curiosity piqued.

Lydia nodded in agreement, silently seconding Anne's query.

"Long division, of course," Diana replied with an air of certainty.

"Long division?" Anne echoed, her tone laced with uncertainty.

"It's so easy, isn't it?" Diana remarked casually, a reminiscent smile tugging at her lips. "Those were the days."

Eager to show them more of their surroundings, Diana seized Lydia's and Anne's wrists, leading them to the rear of the school.

"And this is the supply room," Diana announced, pointing towards a modest building tucked away at the back. "But you need to ask permission before you take anything. Even during recess."

Her lips curling into a mischievous grin, Diana added with a giggle, "Because sometimes Mr. Phillips secretly naps here."

On tiptoe, Diana, Lydia, and Anne approached the window, curiosity dancing in their eyes. Peering through the glass, they glimpsed into the room beyond, eager to uncover its secrets.

"Well, I'll be!" Diana exclaimed, her eyes widening in astonishment.

Lydia observed an older man standing with a younger woman inside the room. The older man gently tucked a strand of the younger girl's hair behind her ear.

"That's- that's Prissy Andrews and the teacher, Mr. Phillips," Diana exclaimed with shock, her eyes widening.

Lydia now realized that the girl Diana had mentioned before was indeed Prissy Andrews.

"Are they married?" asked Anne, her brows furrowed in curiosity.

"Of course not," Diana responded quickly, shaking her head. "She's a student and he's old."

"They're touching," Lydia added.

"They must be making a baby," Anne said.

Anne's statement caught Lydia and Diana by surprise. They exchanged puzzled glances, unsure how to respond to Anne's innocent but unexpected remark.
"What?" They both said at the same time.

"Well, if they're touching, that means they're having intimate relations" Anne explained.

Lydia and Diana stared at Anne, wide-eyed and taken aback by her straightforward explanation. They were momentarily speechless, unsure of how to react to Anne's unexpected observation.

"Really?" Diana exclaimed, her eyes widening in amazement.

Lydia nodded vigorously, her expression mirroring Diana's astonishment.

"It seems to me a lot of husbands have a pet mouse," Anne added matter-of-factly.

"A pet mouse?" Diana repeated, her surprise evident as she turned to Anne for clarification.

With a shared sense of bewilderment, Lydia, Diana, and Anne left the window behind and dashed off to the side of the schoolhouse.

"That's what I've been told, anyways," Anne said with a shrug.

Diana stopped in her tracks, her eyes widening with curiosity as she turned to Anne.

"So I expect Mr. Phillips has one, too, in his front pants pocket," Anne continued, her tone matter-of-fact. "I expect Prissy Andrews has made its acquaintance."

"Mrs. Hammond, she's a lady I used to work for," Anne added, her voice taking on a conspiratorial tone. "She said she always had twins after she petted Mr. Hammond's mouse."

Lydia and Diana exchanged incredulous glances, struggling to comprehend Anne's peculiar theory. As the bell rang in the distance, signaling the start of another school day, the three girls linked hands and made their way inside the school, their minds still buzzing with Anne's unusual insights.

-+-

[A/n: Hey guys, I hope you enjoy this chapter, Remember to comment and vote, Please!!! Okay bye!!! - Celia.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 3.8K 38
Gilbert left Avonlea and Anne, but surely not forever? Here's how we think Gilbert Blythe will return! - A collection of one-shots about Gilbert's r...
206K 7.4K 29
Gilbert Blythe has a serious problem when it comes to Anne Shirley-Cuthbert - he stares at her too much! "Do you believe in soulmates?" he asks, half...
919K 30.7K 35
❝AS LONG AS YOU'RE WITH ME NOBODY CAN HURT YOU❞ in which a young girl with a unspeakable past moves in with her cousin diana...
616 25 5
Gilbert has just lost his father, he is alone and lost, he doesn't know what to do or what his future will look like, he hesitates to leave Avonlea. ...