The Exchange Student ➵ phan

By creativity-at-best

Dan Howell takes up a opportunity to travel halfway across the world to be an exchange student. Phil Lester i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 12

11.1K 559 2K
By creativity-at-best

PJ, Chris and I continue to hang around PJ's room for the next couple hours. 

They're by far two of the most interesting people I've ever met. From Chris's 'i-don't-care' attitude to PJ's vivid imagination they balance each other out with the perfect mix of outrageous ideas and sarcastic comebacks.

The conversation has died down for now. I'm sleepy and opted to lean on the headboard. Chris and I helped pull PJ on the bed so he's leaning on my shoulder to keep upright. Chris is cross-legged across from us droning on about school and what we've signed up for as extracurriculars.

"What are you doing Dan?" He turns to me and I snap from my haze.

"For what?" I watch Chris's face fall before I click the previous conversations together. "Oh, I went for theater and green club."

Chris burst into laughter and after a second PJ joins in.

"Green club? Like the actual green club?" Chris chokes out between giggles.

"Yeah. Why is that something bad?" I look cautiously at each of them. What's so wrong with plants?

"It's not the club per say, it's the kids in green club. they aren't exactly. The brightest." PJ answers with short breaths. He shuffles up so he sits straighter and leans his shoulder against mine.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Oh for god's sakes Dan. It means they're pot heads. Some of the worst ones, I haven't seen half of them sober since primary school."

"Oh." I stare at my hands. They can't all smoke pot, there has to be at least one unsuspecting person like myself that only joined because they like pretty flowers.

"Well he'll at least have Bryony." PJ shrugs and drifts into his own thoughts once again.

"C'mon he's already knee deep in hell. Bad side of the Harrie's twins and Lester? Nobody with a brain is going to befriend him."

"Lester isn't that bad." I mutter to myself, I've fought this argument with them a thousand times and I know I won't win anytime soon.

"He's bad too, you ass. Maybe he's nice too you because he wants to get in your pants." Chris answers and I roll my eyes.

"Sure."

Chris smiles and leans back in his chair. "I'm just saying. Don't shoot me down here."

"Why do you always do this." PJ butts in and Chris glares at him.

"It's fun to make people as uncomfortable as you are." 

"Oh my god, why exactly are we friends?" PJ teases.

"One day I drove home with you in hopes of taking your handicap parking pass and the rest is history." Chris admits and I burst into laughter.

"You should've, it's not like I ever use that thing."

"You used it to hit on people like last year! You can't fool me!"

"That was one girl! You act like you wouldn't do the same for Rebecca Jasle!"

A blush spreads over Chris's face and he groans."Fuck you PJ. Everyone wants Rebecca." He says before mouthing the word 'boobs' to me and making two humongous hills over his chest.

"Man, this has really turned into a really girly sleepover." I laugh and everyone smiles.

"Those are the best type of sleepovers. Don't let the media fool you." PJ answers.

"Yeah, soon we'll be dressing up in lingerie and having a pillow fight." Chris jokes and I laugh until my stomach burns.

"PJ do you have any lingerie we could borrow?" I ask and PJ rolls his eyes while his lips turn up in a smile.

"Sadly I gave it all away."

"PJ! Stripper rule number one is never share your brand." Chris mock snaps.

"And what exactly is my brand?" PJ butts in.

"I don't know. Your black and rainbow lingerie."

"Thank you Chris. I'll keep that in mind next time I give all my lingerie away."

"You better."

We fall into a small silence after that. I pull at a loose strand on my skinny jeans and Chris is humming a song I don't know to himself.

The door to PJ's room opens and I jump a mile into the air. A small squeak of surprise escaping.

PJ and Chris make no sound and Phil charges into the room with a more-than-pissed expression. "Daniel! What the hell was that!"

I flinch at the harsh tone and hold both my hands up. He called me 'Daniel' nobody calls me Daniel unless I'm in serious trouble. 

Oh come on Dan, you're the same age as him! Buck up buttercup

"I'm s-sorry Phil I really am. They were just such assholes and then they were mean to Chris and I snapped."

"You don't think I don't know they're assholes! Trust me I know more indepth than you ever will! They hate you now Dan! You had one chance to be safe and you freaking blew it."

"Whoa back up there skipper. Why was he hanging with them in the first place?" Chris butts in and the blood drains from Phil's face.

"W-well to keep him c-cool obvious because you have to follow the rules and keep safe and the type of safe he n-needs to get is from the Harries twins, there is no other way to climb the social ladder and be a step above the assholes without him and- and." Phil rambled.

Chris stood with a comically large smile. "Welcome back Philly." He laughed and rushed over to his former friend. He pulled him into a tight hug with a happy hum.

"I'm not back. I wasn't ever really... gone." Phil answers and doens't bother returning it. 

"Shut up and stop being lame." Chris's voice is muffled by Phil's shoulder.

PJ lets out a large 'Aw' from the corner I eventually join in.

"Okay okay enough theatrics. What took you so bloody long?" I ask Phil.

"I went to get my car. If you were in a car with the Harries they would have driven you straight into the river." Phil shrugs and finally jerks away from Chris. "Would've gotten eaten by a fish or a sea monster. Then where would we be?"

"Oh Paul? No he isn't mean. He's just shy and because he's so big he sometimes hits you when he turns." PJ interjects absently and looks out the window showcasing the river their restaurant was pressed against.

"You are such a strange man Peej." I laugh.

"Normal is the new boring. Strange is the new fun." Phil answers and I roll my eyes.

"Alright there you don't need to turn all poetic on me." I quip and Phil grins at me with a little giggle.

"We've got to head out." Phil suddenly decides and I groan like a child at his friend's birthday party.

PJ smiles and waves goodbye to us, a look of realization crossing his face seconds after. "Wait, wait! There's something I haven't shown you yet!" He squeals in excitement and Chris gets up with a huff.

"Alright but only once, we don't need a repeat of last time."

Chris grabs one of the wheel's on PJ's wheelchair and lifts it into the air. PJ grabs the side for support and Chris grunts at the strain. He carefully grabs the back bar and spins the chair in a quick circle.

"Wheely." PJ emphasis with an over the top smile.

I laugh. "That's amazing! I'm surprised Chris didn't drop you."

Chris blows me a raspberry.

"Right? I never thought his noodle arms would make it work."

"This is bullying."

I laugh and turn towards the door where Phil is leaning, arms crossed and face neutral. "Well, we should probably go before Phil's mum tears us a new one." I joke and follow Phil out the door.

"Bye!" PJ and Chris chorus. I give them a curt wave before the door shuts.

"Do you know the way downstairs?" I ask Phil.

"Yeah." Phil says, his nice demeanor obliterated.

"I'm sorry. Just so you know. I'm not one for reckless anger but seeing my friends get picked on just makes me angry." I play with my shirts cuff and follow Phil down the last set of stairs.

"Fine. Just don't say I didn't try to help you."

I raise an eyebrow and Phil opens the backdoor. He shoves me in front of him and slams the door shut.

"What th-" I shriek in surprise the moment something cold splashes against my face.

Laughter erupts from across me. "What's wrong Howell? Can't handle little water?"

More of the freezing liquid smashes into me and I scream again. My body hitting the wall.

During the short break I open my eyes to see the Harries twins. One holds a garden house and the other has a video camera aimed straight at me.

"Don't worry. At least now you know you aren't on fire." They break into evil laughter again and the next stream of water hits me full in the face.

I grip at the restaurant's siding and hold down the ball in my throat.

For the life of me I can't understand why I'm so emotional.

I guess it's because I trusted Phil. Maybe even saw him as a friend, and now he's throwing my trust to the wind all over again.

The next dose of water makes me shudder against the red bricks and more laughter ensues.

"Why are you all such cocks." I yell out and blindly reach for the backdoor's handle.

"Lighten up fag." Jack snorts.

"Fuck you." I yell through gritted teeth. Cold air washes over me in the next dose and and suddenly something warm is gripping my wrist.

"What are you doing!!" A man screams and jerks me behind the glass door.

I gasp in surprise and lean on the wall. A blanket is pushed over my shoulder and held by a fist on my chest.

Shakily I look over to find Phil leaning against the wall next to me. His fist holding the purple material together over my chest.

I roll my eyes and pull away from Phil's grasp. "Go fuck yourself on a fifty inch dildo."

"I'm sorry." Phil admits and lets go of the blanket.

"That doesn't make it any better."

"I know. I can't stop them."

Phil grunts as he pulls himself to his feet. "They'll be easier on you after this. I promise."

Shakily I grab his hand and Phil pulls me to my feet. He attempts to put my arm over him and I pull back.

"Don't."

Phil holds his palms out to me and cautiously walks around me towards the front door. "Again I am really, really sorry that had to happen."

"But it didn't have to and that's the whole point Phil. You made it happen to help yourself out. I don't know what your idea of help is I can tell you it is not mine." I snap and walk in front of him.

People in the restaurant give us odd looks but I roll my eyes and jog forward with my best bitch face.

Eventually we are able to get outside and Phil whispers his reply in my ear. "When will you see that I'm an idiot? Everyone in the world knows except you and I don't get why. I'm an idiot. Plain and simple."

I stop in my tracks and sigh, hearing the quiver in Phil's voice.

For one split second I turn around and hug Phil with my arms still holding the blanket. My head rests sideways on his chest and Phil sets his head on mine.

"Thanks." Phil mumbles and I squeeze him tight before pulling back and jumping in the passenger seat.

"Yeah."

The beauty of riding in the car will forever be the stereo. The ability to pause all conversation for a few lyrics and bass lines.

I open Phil's glove compartment and whistle when a half used box of Golden Magnums tumbles out along with half a dozen tissues.

"Oh." Phil blushes and slams the lid shut.

'Wow.' I mouth and turn to the middle compartment.

"Why wow?" Phil asks and the car roars to life.

I sigh in relief while the air runs through my hair and tightens the blanket over my shoulders.

"I'm just saying you're being a little generous to your partners." I murmur and grab a black bound CD case from beneath some gum containers and phone chargers. Jackpot.

"Why are always assuming I'm the bottom?" Phil scoffs.

My head shoots up to see Phil's blushing cheeks. "You can not be... I mean." 

Words fail me and I laugh. "But you're so sweet and-"

"You don't have to be sweet to bottom Dan. It's about what your partner wants." Phil pulls the car into reverse and takes out of the parking lot.

I burst into laughter, my head falling on the glove compartment.

"What's so funny?" Phil snaps but I don't pick up on the anger.

"You... and your so weird Lester. I'm just imagining it... oh shit I slipped well guess I'm top now... and it's to Ellery. And he's so burly and."

"Dan."

I cut off my giggles and look up at him. "Yeah."

"Shut the fuck up."

In an instant I snap my mouth closed and lean back in my seat. I turn my vent off when the cold air becomes too much.

Most of the music I know, like the never ending My Chemical Romance section. Or - my mistake - the ending My Chemical Romance section. And the Fall Out Boy section.

Others I don't. Like the Sia section and the Neon Trees section.

I finally settle upon the one album I've been set on becoming acquainted with for weeks now.

Vessel.

Now, most of the time I'm good with learning new music. Get it on Spotify.  Listen to it well I clean my room or make a bowl of cereal or just walk around the house.

This week has been too hectic for any of that to occur though. The party and the moving in and everything else just made it impossible.

So I gratefully slid the CD into the radio, click the 'CD Player' button and leaned back to hear the music for the first time.

"This may be a bad choice." Phil says when the first few notes start. "The song always makes me cry."

"Baby."

Phil sticks his tongue out at me and suddenly the cold air turns hot. "I don't want you to freeze to death in my car." Phil explains and pulls off his sweater at our nearest red light. 

A horn honks behind us and I shriek in surprise, my curls falling in front of my face and the blanket slips from my shoulders.

Phil's head shot up and he throws his sweater on me. He switched gears and shoved the car forward well a song screams at us from the too loud radio. 

I throw the sweater behind us without a second thought. Yeah, no. 

Phil sings along to the song and grins when the lyrics. The dark's not taking prisoners tonight. Blast from the speakers.

The world melts together in my eyes when I look out the window and Phil's rough voice hums out the familiar tune I have learned to love with more passion than my own family.

We sit in silence, letting the music take us away from ourselves for a little while.

Car trips always bore and enlighten me. With no other things to think about I'm left by myself in a personal space of thought and understanding. Music normally helps if my mind wanders too far and I end up hurting myself.

That's a funny thing about thoughts, go one step too far and they whip back on you like a bloody snake.

Around us the small, yet bustling town turned into a blur of browns, tans and whites mixed in with people walking to and from work. I catch sight of some of the many many names we see. Gina's Diner, The Game Place, a McDonald's and even a roller rink tucked away behind a Starbucks.

The town is quite cozy if i'm honest. I think I'm going to like it here.

The song plays loudly in my ears, the tune switching to House of Gold.

I think every song on the album is pure gold, all the hidden meanings and lyrics. They always seem to mean something, like they were written in a bad time to express a bad time. To show people they aren't alone. They have nothing to fear, nothing to feel alone with because somebody else has felt like this before.

Because a successful, famous, wonderful little bean makes music to make everyone feel included and loved. He and Josh made a safe haven, something special. An album that means more to me than my life.

"This is my favorite song." Phil mumbles absently and I nod, fingers tapping the light beat.

"Mine too." I grin.

Phil laughs to himself and parks in the driveway. He groans and leans back.

"I don't want to go in there," he mumbles. Hands running down his face.

"Why?" I question. Phil leans back in his seat and pulls the lever to fall another inch.

"They're going to tear us a fucking part."

"I can get us out of it. If I milked it." I reason and Phil only shakes his head.

"What's the fucking point. They'll jump my ass the moment you leave. You're the perfect one. The do no wrong."

I roll my eyes and pull my knees to my chest.

"Don't say that."

"But it's true isn't it!" Phil snaps, his demeanor switching within seconds. He slaps the steering wheel and I flinch.

"You're the number one! The good kid! You've been here for god damn seconds and already you're treated like a fucking prince." Phil groans and grips his hair.

I sigh loudly, it's fucking ridiculous how fast he can go from nice Phil to this complete jerk. It's frustrating as hell.

Phil hits the wheel again before he shoves the door open and stumbles into the driveway. I swear to god if he has a tantrum or something.

"Can you stop acting like a child? It's not exactly my fault you go off partying all the time." I snap like a mother anger at her toddler for eating gum off the sidewalk. Maybe even angrier than that.

Phil rolls his eyes and grabs the mint colored door, he shoves it open so hard I can hear an audible crack.

"Phil there you are!" Lyda yells, anger dripping off her words. "I've been waiting hours for you to get back! Where's Dan?"

"Dan is fucking fine! Why don't you ever ask if I'm fucking fine." Phil yells, his voice vibrates through the whole home.

I walk inside and close the door quietly as possible. The scene in front of me looks way too much like something off Animal Planet for my liking.

Phil and Lyda stand at separate ends of the foyer, Mr. Le- Harold hidden behind the archway into the living room. We make eye contact and he presses his fingers to his lips. Alright sure, leave me to die.

"I'm asking right now! Why do you always act like this!" Lyda yells at the top of her lungs, cheeks flushed red and hands clenched to fist.

"Because you don't give a fuck about me or what I go through every single damn day!"

"God you are just like your mother!" Lyda snaps.

The whole world stops. Phil's fist clenches and Lyda's face drains.

"Phil I-"

"Don't just... don't" Phil hisses and runs up the stairs.

A door slams, shaking the house and I release the breath I'd been holding.

"Dammit." Lyda whispers. A hand running through her blond hair and a panicked expression on her face.

"I'm back from the garden. What did I miss?" Harold turns the corner and walks through the archway. I throw him my worst glare and he shrugs. 

That lucky bastard. 

"I just made everything a hundred times worse." Lyda whispers before walking into the dining.

Harold sighs and looks at me. I shuffle awkwardly at the contact and gaze back towards Lyda. I've never been good with long bouts of eye contact. 

"We should probably... Yeah." I mummer, hightailing it into the room. 

Lyda sat at her place at the dinner table. Eyes glazed and tears brimming. "Why did I say that?" 

"You were just angry. We aren't ourselves when we're like that." I try to sound as reassuring as possible but hell, I barely believe myself. 

She nods then shakes her head. "No! That's the worst thing I could've said to him! I'm a monster." She sobs into her open palms and my eyes widen, unsure of what to do.

Eventually my head spins and finds Harold still stood in the foyer, his gaze directed to the floor and hands in his pockets. 

"Harold." I whisper harshly and his head shoots up like a startled deer. I motion towards Lyda and can see it clicking in his head. 

"Oh, oh." 

He shuffles over and drapes his arm over Lyda's shoulders. "I know. I know. It has been like this for years honey. Why are you so upset now?" He rubs her arm and Lyda body wracks with sobs. 

"Because for three years I have tried and tried to get him to like me. I've taken care of him and consoled him and got him all those counsellors and he still despises me."

Harold hums in agreement and looks over to me. "You should go upstairs Dan." 

Lyda gasps in recognition of my presence, her hands falling to her lap. 

Oh no, this can't be good.

"Can you talk to him for us. Make sure he doesn't hate me now?" 

"What!" I yelp, shocked. "He hates me too!"

"But not more than us! Please Dan. It's only a question."

I gape in surprise and a rush of anger as both of them look over to me. Eyes pleading, tear tracks down their cheeks and runny noses. 

Dammit all. "Fine." 

Lyda grins and Harold gives me a curt nod of thanks. 

This is suicide. I repeat over and over to myself while taking the trek up the stairs. The Lester's still sharing a few tears below me.

Phil's door stands prominent and I scold myself for being so daunted by a piece of wood. But my body can't help it, it's like standing before a charging sharks at the aquarium, or an angry tiger. I'm scared but I know it can't hurt me. (That bad anyway)

Should I knock or do I just go in? The question isn't that simple. If I knock it'll give Phil a sense of authority and if I go in he will pissed off beyond repair but also not ready to counteract me. 

On those notes I shove the door open and enter the dark room. My hand gropes the wall for a lightswitch, the sound of shuffling heard and then a very, very incoherent sound. 

The sound comes back and I flick the switch in time for it to click in my head.

A sob. 

Coming from Phil

"What the fuck do you want?" His voice is strained and I frown at the sound. 

I think about it for a second, I decide to dance around the topic of Lyda with Phil in this state of despair and answer. "To make sure you're okay."

He doesn't say anything in reply but he move fully to face me. 

"Yeah right." Phil snorts, pushing his hair back with a deep sigh. 

"No really." 

He glares at me. "Why?"

I'm brought to silence, why the hell would I be in here if not because of Lyda. You're hot? I have stockholm syndrome? I'm losing my mind? 

"Wanted to." I shrug and Phil rolls his eyes. 

"Well if you want to actually help be in my room by 12."

"What? No," I reply within an instant.

Phil rolls his eyes. 

"Why? I thought we were best buddy buds?"

My face flushes and I glare at him. "You're a real asshole you know that?"

"Well it's a good thing I happen to like asshole isn't it?"

I flush even more and inch towards the door. 

"What time did you say again?"

"12 o' clock. Don't be late."

-~-

-~-

Anyone who catches that Annie reference gets a free hug come here.

Ah, it's been awhile since the publishing mishap of July. But I'm glad we can look at that now and la- guys, what are you doing with those pitchforks? I said I was sorry! Okay, I get the pitchfork but the tomatoes are completely out of line! Yeesh, tough crowd

This story is now on weekly updates! Yay! So every Wednesday except a daily dosage of Fuckboy Phil and his sidekick, Existential Crisis Boy!

And I changed my URL so everyone say hi to 'spaceprincedan' at first i was unsure but now I actually kind of like it. Hip hip hooray! 

I literally wrote all of this to the Wind Waker. Because, you know, I'm that hardcore. 

Also if you happen to be interested - or just plain nosey, but that's okay, shower me in your attention. I live for it - I have an OC Dictionary thing set up at this website : https://charahub.com/user/spaceprincedan so if you'd like to learn things like charecters backstories, were they fit in Dan's slice of the world, or even ask questions of your own concerning them feel free to click that link.

Until next Wednesday! Ta-ta kittens! 🐩🐩

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

389K 13.6K 87
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
217K 8.1K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
300K 17.1K 68
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
368K 11.9K 26
Daisy Swan likes to disappear, even when she was in the same room as other people. Until she meets the most ruthless vampire leader who thinks she's...