Pokemon: A Ketchum Journey. V...

By tanishatribe1118

Ash Ketchum is officially ten years old and is starting his journey to become a Pokemon Master with his eight... More

I Choose You!
Pokemon Emergency
Ash Captures a Pokémon
Challenge of the Samurai
Showdown in Pewter City
Clefairy and the Moon Stone
The Water Flowers of Cerulean City
The Path to the Pokémon League
The School of Hard Knocks
Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village
Charmander, the Stray Pokémon
Here comes the Squirtle Squad
Mystery at the Lighthouse
Electric Shock Showdown
Battle Aboard the St. Anne
Pokemon Shipwreck
Island of the Giant Pokémon
Tentacool and Tentacruel
The Ghost of Maiden's Peak
Bye Bye Butterfree
Abra and the Psychic Showdown
The Tower of Terror
Haunter vs. Kadabra
Primeape Goes Bananas
Hypno's Naptime
Pokémon Fashion Flash
The Punchy Pokémon
Sparks Fly for Magnemite
Dig Those Diglett!
The Ninja-Poké Showdown
The Flame Pokémon-athon!
The Kangaskhan Kid
The Bridge Bike Gang
Ditto's Mysterious Mansion
Pikachu's Goodbye
The Battling Eevee Brothers
Wake up, Snorlax!

Pokémon Scent-sation

61 4 0
By tanishatribe1118

Narrator: Ash, Hayley and their friends arrive in Celadon City, the great metropolis renowned for both its tall buildings and for its good scents.

Hayley, suspiciously: What kind of good scents are we talking about here?

Narrator: Um....

Meeko, glaring: Riolu!

Hayley: That's what we thought.

"Mm. Pika!" said Pikachu, sniffing the air and Brock follows seconds later.

"Something smells heavenly." said Brock.

"Perfume." said Misty.

"Hey, what's going on?" asked Ash, seeing his sister, friends and Pikachu sniff the air.

"(Sniffs) Eeh!" said Brock and runs off towards the scent.

"Wait, Brock! Where are you going?" Ash called out after him. Leaning against the window of a store, Brock chuckles dreamily as he looks inside. "Who are you making faces at, Brock?" asked Ash, once he caught up with him.

"My nose tells me that this is my kind of town." said Brock.

"Huh?" said Ash, then looks inside the store.

"So, then he says maybe we can both go together." said a girl with green hair tells another girl at the counter.

"I think we should stay here a while." said Brock, staring at the girls inside the store.

"Well, if you want to waste your time." said Ash. "Misty, Pikachu, Hayley, Meeko, let's get moving." Ash turns around to see that they were gone. Brock then pokes him in the shoulder and points to the store, showing him that they were inside.

"This scent is one of our most popular." said the girl with green hair. "It's called Daffodil Dreams."

She then sprits some on Misty's wrist. "(Sniffs) It smells just like a garden." said Misty, then let's Hayley, Pikachu and Meeko take a turn.

"Pika!" said Pikachu.

"Rio!" said Meeko.

"It smells wonderful." said Hayley, smiling as she sighs.

"We're having a fragrance sale." said the blond.

"How much does this one cost?" asked Misty.

"Pikachu. Riolu."

"Don't buy it, Misty." said Ash, entering the store. "Perfume's just a waste of money and it stinks."

"Go away." said Misty.

"This is why we never see dad a whole lot." grumbled Hayley as Meeko nodded in understanding.

"I resent that remark." said a woman not far from them.

"Huh?"

"The manager." said a saleswoman.

"Young man, are you accusing me of overcharging my customers for inferior perfume?" she asked.

"Uh, no ma'am." said Ash. "I meant all perfumes are a rip-off because all they do is turn guys into zombies, like this." He then shoves Brock in front of the manager.

"Hi, what's your name?" Brock asked dreamily. The manager smiles at Brock before she angrily turns to Ash. "P for pretty, E for elegant, R for radiant, F for fun, U for urbane, M for mysterious, E for energy, and that spells?"

"Perfume." said Misty.

"Right." said Brock.

"Pika!" said Pikachu.

"Whatever he's going to say next, Ash will literally regret it." said Hayley.

"Riolu." said Meeko.

"I don't need that smelly junk to give me energy. I'm full of it." said Ash. "I got tons more energy than I know what to do with."

"Why don't you use some of it to keep your mouth shut?" asked Misty.

"At least for my sake, please." said Hayley.

"If you object to our products so much, perhaps you should leave, since we all sell perfumes here, you must find us offensive." said the manager.

"You should be ashamed of yourself." said a saleswoman.

"You insensitive little worm." said another saleswoman.

"What did I say?" Ash then asks.

"Get out and don't come back!" said the third saleswoman, kicking Ash out.

"I don't want to come back!" shouted Ash, once he stood up. "I'm on my way to the Celadon City Gym."

"I feel bad for him." Hayley tells Meeko. "But something tells me that this is gonna be weird for us."

"Riolu." said Meeko. "Riol, Riol, Riolu."

"You got me on that one, Meeko." said Hayley.

Outside of the gym, Ash was denied entranced. "What do you mean I can't come in?" he asked. "I'm trying to become a Pokémon master."

"I wouldn't let you in if you were the last Pokémon trainer on earth." said the woman.

"Huh?"

"This Gym doesn't allow anyone inside who says that perfume is a stinky rip-off." she tells Ash.

"Why not?" asked Ash.

"We manufacture that stinky perfume right here in this gym." a girl tells Ash.

"Uh-oh." said Ash.

"So, you see, young man..." said the woman as she pulls out a red x stamp.

"Ah!" said Ash as he gets knocked to the ground.

"You're the stinker!"

"But don't you understand? I got to challenge your gym master so I can win a badge." Ash tried to explain. "You've got to let me in."

"Huh?" said the woman before blowing off Ash at the door.

"(Groans) Pretty please with a cherry on top?" pleaded Ash as he bangs on the door when suddenly he heard familiar laughter coming from behind him. Ash turns around to see Hayley and Meeko, laughing at him with his sister holding a shopping bag. "It's not funny." Ash whined.

"Yes, it is." said Hayley.

"Riolu." said Meeko.

"You know that you've gotten yourself into this mess and should've kept your mouth shut." Hayley tells her brother. "But as always, you didn't and ran your mouth."

"I know. Don't rub it in." said Ash, hanging his head.

"Uh-huh. So...I'll try to help you get into the gym." said Hayley.

"You will?" he asked, hopefully.

"I just said that I'll try, Ash. I'm not like Team Rocket." said Hayley. "But you'll owe me big time for this once you get the badge." Unbeknownst to them, Team Rocket ran across the lawn with a ladder in their hands.

"Huh. Looks like the coast is clear." said Meowth.

"Once we break inside, we'll steal the secret formula for their perfume." said Jessie. "Then I'll be as irresistible as Cleopatra."

"I'll sell the formula and make myself zillions of bucks." said James, grinning. "That's enough money to buy my own country, or my own planet even."

"Or nine lifetimes supplies of cat grub." said Meowth. Once inside, Team Rocket sees several green houses.

"That secret formula's got to be around here somewhere." said Jessie. "Hmm. Now where could it be?"

"Hmm."

"Huh?"

"Ah!" groaned Jessie as she lifts up a leaf, revealing a Pokémon.

"What is it?" asked James, joining her.

"Hey, look." said Meowth. The Pokémon in front of them was drooling at the side of its mouth as it snores and grunts.

"What's a Gloom doing here?" asked Meowth.

"Taking a nap, I think." said James as he waves his hand in front of Gloom. Just then, Gloom looks up at him.

"Gloom." said Gloom. Team Rocket gasps as they backed out of the room.

"James, you've woken it up." said Jessie.

"Go, Koffing." said James, sending out Koffing. "Poison gas attack, now!"

"Koffing!" bellowed Koffing, releasing its Poison gas. Gloom trills happily as it was unaffected by Koffing's attack and takes the gas in towards its body. "That Gloom just sucked up all of Koffing's gas." said Jessie, shocked at what had just happened.

"I can't believe it." said James.

"Gloom?" asked Gloom, causing Team Rocket to yell out in fear.

"Gloom, Gloom! Gloom!" said Gloom, then sends out its Stun Spore at Koffing.

"It smells terrible." said Jessie, gagging at Gloom's stun spore.

"It smells like old sneakers, mixed with some rotten eggs and dead fish with just a hint of skunk fumes." James commented on the smell. Both he and Jessie groaned at the smell as it fills the room. "My nose feels like it's on fire." said Meowth, placing his paws where his nose should be.

"Meowth, you don't have a nose." Jessie reminded him.

"Huh?" said Meowth, then looks down. "My nose! What happened? The stink dissolved it off my face. Hm? Oh. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The cartoonist never gave me a nose when he drew me."

Hayley, popping up out of nowhere: And I'm glad that the cartoonist never gave him one. Thank you, Cartoonist, whoever you are!

Meeko, popping up beside her: Riolu, Olu.

"Hey, why are you sleeping?" Meowth asked Jessie and James, who were knocked unconscious behind him until someone knocked Meowth out with a hammer.

"That stopped them." said a saleswoman with a gas mask on her face. "Gym rules, no thieves allowed." She then gives them an X stamp on their faces before she and her friends hung them in a tree.

"Hey, get me down! Get me out of here!" Meowth shouted from the tree. "You two clowns better get me out of this tree!"

"Don't tell me what to do, you little hairball." said Jessie as she kicks Meowth. "I know what I'm doing."

"Well...this is something you don't get to see every day." said Hayley as she and Ash walk up to them. "I wonder who strung them up there cause I like their handywork."

"Yeah." said Ash. "Are you three hanging out again?"

"Huh? The pest and baby pest." said Jessie.

"Please, could you help us get out of this tree?" James asked the siblings.

"Traitor!" shouted Jessie as she kicks James in the face.

"Ugh!"

"At least he was polite about it, unlike his two co-workers." said Hayley, crossing her arms.

"Quiet you!" Jessie shouted at her before turning to James. "How dare you collaborate with the enemy?"

"Whose side are you on?" asked Meowth when suddenly Jessie got an idea.

"Huh? Hmm. Hey, kids. Bet they wouldn't let you in that Gym today." said Jessie.

"That's none of your business." said Ash.

"They kicked you out." said Meowth.

"They didn't kick me out." said Hayley.

"Goody two shoes." mumbled Meowth.

"What was that, Meowth?" asked Hayley with her hand behind her ear. "I didn't quite catch that. Was it something nice about Meeko?"

"Nothing. I didn't say anything." Meowth tells her.

"That's what I thought." Hayley said, smirking.

"Riolu." Meeko said, falling to the ground, laughing at Meowth.

"Even though you both are pests, I'll make a deal." said Jessie with her legs wrapped around James' neck. "Untie us and we'll show you how to get in that Gym."

"Why should I trust you?" asked Ash.

"Yeah." said Hayley.

"Face the facts, boy." Jessie tells him. "You can't get into the Pokémon league without winning more badges."

At the store, there was a sale. "Bing..." said Jessie.

"Bong..." said James.

"Bing!" said Meowth.

"Ta-da!" said Team Rocket and Ash steps out of the dressing room. Team Rocket gasps at what Ash is wearing. "Great wig." said James.

"Not even your own mother would recognize you in this outfit." said Jessie, holding up a mirror.

"Think so?" asked Ash, looking into the mirror.

"I hate to say it, but she's right about the wig." said Hayley, looking at her brother. "Mom wouldn't recognize you at all if she saw you right now. It's even better than the outfit I had in mind."

"See? Even your sister admits it." said James.

"Talk about dressing for success, that get up will get you into the Gym easy." said Meowth.

"Great! Then I'll show that Gym leader who's the boss around here." said Ash.

"Uh, that doesn't sound very ladylike." said Jessie.

"Huh?" asked Ash.

"You'll give away your secret." said James. "Go on, try it."

"Try it." said Jessie.

"You know, I've always wanted an older sister." said Hayley.

"You did?" asked Meowth as they both watched Jessie and James encourage Ash.

"Yeah....but mom said that I should be grateful with having an older overprotective brother around." said Hayley. "It would've been nice to have an older sister."

"Riolu?" asked Meeko, making a face.

"She said that she'll tell me when I'm older, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon." Hayley tells Meeko and Meowth.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that one." said Meowth as Ash then tries a falsetto voice.

"I'll show those meanies." said Ash, high pitched as Jessie and James laughed behind his back.

"And all we need now is a cover story for you to get inside the Gym." said Hayley.

At the Celadon Gym, Jessie, James, and Ash were in disguise as Hayley walked behind them. "Good evening." said Ash.

"We would like to enroll our daughters, Ashley and Hayley, in your Pokémon training class." Jessie.

"Nothing but the best for our little princesses." said James.

"That's right." said Meowth and James hits his chest. "Ow."

"Why I oughta...." grumbled Hayley when suddenly, Ash elbows her in the ribs.

"Hm?" said the saleswoman, then turns to Ash and Hayley. "Do you like perfume?"

"I like it because it smells nice." said Hayley as she and Meeko smiled. "But I don't know about her."

"Oh, yes." said Ash.

"Well, then, I'm sure you'll be accepted." the saleswoman replied with a huge smile on her face. "Your parents should apply at the desk." Soon as they were at the front desk, Meowth pops up from under the shirt. "Way to scam them, Goldilocks." he said to Ash.

"How ya feeling under there, Meowth?" asked Hayley.

"It's hot under there." he tells her.

"At least you're getting cool air at the moment, Meowth." she tells him. "Because once they come out here, it's back under the shirt you go."

"Riolu." said Meeko.

"Yeah, yeah, I know the drill." said Meowth as James pushes him back into the shirt.

"Are you applying to the gym, young ladies?" asked the girl at the front desk.

"Uh, yeah." said Ash, forgetting for a moment that his voice was supposed to be high pitched. "The girl in the perfume shop. I mean, yes ma'am."

"We're so proud of our little muffins in your gym." said Jessie.

"Yes, we sure are." said James, still dealing with Meowth.

"Cut it out." said Meowth.

"Ma'am, where is Erika, the gym master?" Ash asked.

"Oh, you'll meet her soon." said the girl at the front desk.

"All right. Now all I got to do is beat Erika, and I'll get another badge." thought Ash.

"Bye-bye." said Jessie, breaking Ash out of his thoughts.

"Hmm?" he said, turning around.

"Hugs and kisses, Ashley." said Jessie as she and James were around the corner. "Mommy and Daddy are leaving you and your sister to battle those cute little Pokémon."

"Bye sweeties." said James.

"See you soon." Jessie added and both of them quickly left.

"They do know that I'm not entering the league because of my age, right?" Hayley asked her brother.

"I don't think Team Rocket does. Let's hope that they do." he whispered to her.

"Hmm. While that clueless little twerp and his sister creates a distraction, we'll steal the secret perfume formula." said Jessie as they ran down the hallway.

"Let's go." said James with Meowth under his uniform.

"Just one question, what am I supposed to do with this blaster ball?" Meowth asked, holding the blaster ball in his hand.

"Stick it someplace where it'll make a nice, big kaboom." said Jessie.

"(Cackles) They'll get a bang out of this." said Meowth.

"Jessie, what's the blaster ball for?" asked James.

"Sweet revenge for stamping an 'X' on the most beautiful face in the world." Jessie tells him.

"Talk about delusions." said James.

"What?" asked Jessie.

"Uh, I mean, that'll teach those slobs." said James, not wanting an angry Jessie.

In the garden part of the gym, grass type Pokémon were exercising. "One, two, one, two, one, two..." said a girl, instructing them.

"Remember, a pretty Pokémon is a strong Pokémon." a woman said to Gloom as she wipes its face.

"And so, Omanyte bid farewell and promised to one day return to visit the friends who changed his life on that faraway beach. The end." said Erika, finishing the story. In front of her, Brock, Misty and Pikachu were in the audience.

"Great story." said Brock, wiping away the tears.

"Pika." said Pikachu.

"Uh-oh. How'd Misty and Brock get here?" asked Ash. Hayley pulls on her brother's sleeve, getting his attention. "They left me and Meeko behind at the perfume store without telling me where they went." Hayley whispered in his ear.

"Oh...." said Ash.

"Yeah, so I went off to find you because of the promise you made to Mom." Hayley then tells him.

"Trainer Erika." said the girl next to the siblings.

"Hm? Erika?" said Ash.

"I would like to introduce our new students." she said.

"Oh, welcome." said Erika, standing up.

"Ah!" screamed Ash. "The store manager. Oh..."

"Nice to meet you." said Erika.

"Thank you, ma'am." said Ash as Brock slides up behind her.

"You sure are a shy young lady, but don't worry." Brock said to Ash. "All the girls want to make you feel at home here at the Gym. Let's give her and her sister a warm welcome."

"Pikachu." said Pikachu.

"Oh, great. Pikachu's here too." thought Ash.

"Ahem." said Hayley, crossing her arms as she gains their attention.

"Huh?" they said before looking down at an angry Hayley and an angry Meeko. "Uh-oh."

"I knew we'd forgot someone." said Misty.

"Yeah. You did." said Hayley, glaring at Misty.

"No wonder she was too quiet on the way here." said Brock.

"Pikachu." said Pikachu, fearfully before jumping out of a girl's lap and tentatively walks up to Hayley. "Pikachu?"

"You're in big trouble, mister. You know that, right?" asked Hayley, giving Pikachu the Ketchum evil eye.

"Riolu." Meeko said angrily.

"Pika, Pikachu." said Pikachu, sounding apologetic.

"You know what this means, don't you?"

"Pika, Pika." said Pikachu, nodding his head before walking over to a spot and faces Hayley.

"You're lucky I love you, Pikachu!" said Hayley, then turns to glare at Misty and Brock. "How could the two of you leave me and Meeko at the store all by ourselves? Have you both lost your freaking minds? We could've been kidnapped! We could've been killed!"

"We're sorry, we're sorry." said Misty and Brock, bowing before her.

"See, if this was Ash's doing, I would understand. He would've gotten creamed by our mom because she made him promise to look out for me. But you two should've known better." Hayley explained, still glaring at them. "You know that, Brock! You're the older ones, you should be setting a better example." Misty and Brock hung their heads, knowing that she was right.

Erika looks at Ash, then said, "Your sister is very...unique."

"Tell me about it." said Ash as he hung his head.

"You're both very lucky that I picked up a few things for my mom before coming over here." Hayley said to Misty and Brock.

"May I ask you a question?" Misty asks Erika.

"Of course you can, Misty." said Erika as Hayley finally walks over to Pikachu, picking him up. "Pika?" he asked, looking up at her as Meeko jumps onto her shoulder.

"I forgive you, Pikachu." said Hayley.

"Riolu, Ri." said Meeko.

"Pikachu?" he asked, unsure when suddenly Hayley brings him to her and rubs her cheek against his head, then smiles. "Pikachu!"

"Just never do again, okay?" Hayley asked and Pikachu nodded.

"Pika, Pik!" Pikachu promised her.

"I was wondering why we can all sit with Gloom." said Misty, looking at Gloom. "I always thought that because of its terrible smell, it was impossible to get anywhere near Gloom. So how come this Gloom doesn't smell bad to me at all?"

"That's a very smart question, Misty." said Erika, walking over to Gloom. "Gloom doesn't have a bad smell all the time. Whenever Gloom is in danger, it lets out the bad smell. It's a natural defense mechanism. But as long as Gloom doesn't feel threatened, it smells just fine. Just make sure Gloom feels safe and show you want to be its friend."

"Hi Gloom." said Hayley, bending down to the Pokémon.

"Gloom, Gloom!" said Gloom, walking up to Hayley.

"How do you know all that?" asked Misty.

"I met Gloom a long time ago." said Erika.

[Flashback]

Young Erika was huddled near a wall, sobbing as a poison type Pokémon scares her.

"Grimer!" said the Pokémon with its arms in the air.

"When I was a little girl, I got lost one day and ran into a Grimer." said Erika. "I'd never been so scared. I couldn't even move."

Young Erika gasps and looked behind Grimer and sees Gloom walking by. "Please can you help me?" Young Erika cried out to Gloom, who then turns around. "Please help me."

"Somehow that Gloom understood how scared I felt and decided to come to my rescue." said Erika.

"Gloom!" screamed Gloom, releasing its stun spore.

"Grimer!" shouted Grimer, running away from Gloom.

"(Giggles) I love you!" Erika said to Gloom, who then blushes at the compliment.

"Gloom!" cooed Gloom.

[Flashback ends]

"This is the same Gloom that rescued me from Grimer that day." Erika tells them as Gloom smiles. "We've been friends ever since."

"It's all because of her friendship with Gloom that Erika decided to become a grass type trainer." said the salesgirl behind Ash.

"I wish Ash could've heard that story." said Misty.

"And that's our cue to hide." said Hayley, running to a grassy spot with Meeko close behind her.

"Olu." said Meeko.

"I heard it." said Ash, causing those except Hayley to gasp and look at him. He then realizes that he broke cover.

"Ah! Uh..." said Ash, placing his hands on the side of his head. "Please don't stare at me like that. I'm a very shy little girl."

"You look awfully familiar." said Misty, taking a closer look. "Haven't we met somewhere before?"

"Maybe you met my sister, who is around here somewhere." said Ash as Pikachu walks over to Ash.

"Pi?" asked Pikachu.

"Ah!" said Ash.

"Pika-pi!" said Pikachu.

"Hey, knock it off." said Ash.

"Hey, Pikachu?" Hayley called out to the mouse. "If you love us, you wouldn't do that."

"Pika, Pik." said Pikachu, pointing to Ash.

"Olu, Olu." said Meeko, shaking her head.

"Pika!" said Pikachu, angrily and sparks appeared at his cheeks.

"Pikachu's gonna do it, anyway, isn't he?" Hayley asked Meeko.

"Riolu." sighed Meeko as Pikachu shocks Ash to the ground. Ash screams from Pikachu's thunder shock. "There goes the wig and the cover is blown." said Hayley.

"Riol." said Meeko.

"We're dead." said Hayley as she and Meeko hide behind the bush.

"It's Ash." said Misty and Brock.

"Yeah, it's me." said Ash.

"Hayley!" shouted Misty, looking behind her to find the young Ketchum girl but she was nowhere to be seen.

"She's good. Really good." said Brock.

"You're that boy." said Erika.

"Erika, you didn't let me in, so I had the help of my sister in order to wear this stupid disguise." said Ash. "I had to sneak into your gym so I could battle you for a badge. And now I want to challenge you."

"Hayley helped you with that disguise?" asked Brock.

"The outfit?" Hayley's voice asked from nowhere. "No, a certain group of people did that for him. I just helped with a cover story for him to get in."

"You know, Hayley, you'll have to come out sooner or later from wherever you're hiding." said Misty, tapping her foot.

"True, but Ash is right." said Hayley, popping out her head from a high tree branch.

"Riolu." said Meeko, following suit.

"Wah!" all but Ash screamed. Misty and Brock then turned to Ash. "She does that from time to time." he tells them. "It doesn't affect me at all."

"When it comes to stuff like that, you and Hayley are weird." said Brock.

"Yeah." said Misty.

"Misty, what you and Brock did was wrong." said Hayley, jumping down with Meeko and crossing her arms in front of her. "What the two of you did at the perfume store was sided with Erika over something so little like perfume."

"So?" said Misty and Brock.

"My point exactly. So, what...my brother doesn't like perfume. He's just a 10-year-old boy. I bet you right now that when Brock was Ash's age, he didn't like the smell of perfume either." Hayley explained, gesturing to her blushing brother. "By the time Ash gets to be Brock's age, his attitude towards perfume will change because he'll be interested in girls at that time while trying to protect me from random boys. Until then, we just need to deal with the Ash Ketchum that we know, love and have to live with today."

"Riolu." said Meeko.

"She's got a point." said Misty.

"Yeah, and she's right too." said Brock. Somewhere in the gym, Team Rocket found a safe with the perfume. "(Laughs) At last we've found the perfume." said Jessie, opening up a safe. "Now we'll unlock its secret formula."

"I accept your challenge." Erika said to Ash. "It's my duty under the league rules. We'll each use three Pokémon.

"Right. I'll use my own grass Pokémon against yours." said Ash, finally back in his own clothing. "Bulbasaur, I choose you!"

"Bulbasaur!" shouted Bulbasaur.

"This ought to be easy." said Erika, knowing which Pokémon she'll use first. "Tangela, I choose you!" Out of the Pokeball, a vine like Pokémon comes out, squealing.

"Riolu?" asked Meeko.

"I never seen that Pokémon before." said Hayley.

"What's that?" asked Ash, taking out Dexter.

"Tangela, a vine Pokémon. Its body is wrapped in vines. The rest of its form is hidden beneath these vines." said Dexter.

"That doesn't tell me much." said Ash before putting Dexter away. "All right, we'll attack from a distance. Bulbasaur, vine whip!"

Bulbasaur lets out its vine whip at Tangela. "Tangela, constrict! Resist it from pulling you in." said Erika.

"Bulbasaur!" said Bulbasaur as Tangela spins and constricts against its vine whips.

"Ah!"

"Bulbasaur!"

"Tangela, now is the time to hit it with your stun spore." said Erika. Soon as Tangela was close enough to Bulbasaur, it lets out Stun Spore, causing Bulbasaur to twitch. "Return, Bulbasaur!" shouted Ash, recalling Bulbasaur.

"Poor Bulbasaur!" said Erika. "Later, I'll give you some Paralyze heal to make sure that your Pokémon is better."

"Thanks, but no thanks." said Ash. "I don't need your help."

"You picked something up at the perfume shop, did you, Hayley?" asked Misty, causing the young girl to nod.

"I did." she said. "I got some stuff not only for my mom, but for me and Meeko too."

"I choose Primeape." said Ash, then realizes what happened last time. "Uh, maybe I better not. Charmander, go!"

"Charman!" said Charmander.

"This should be easy. Weepinbell, go!" said Erika.

"Bell." said Weepinbell.

"Weepinbell, razor leaf now!" Erika shouted. Using its leaves, Weepinbell spins around as it sends out its razor leaf.

"Charmander, flamethrower, full blast!" shouted Ash.

"Char!" screamed Charmander, sending his flamethrower towards Weepinbell's razor leaf. Weepinbell dodges the fiery leaves.

"Yes, way to go. Now let's just finish it up." said Ash and Charmander goes in for a headbutt. "Skull bash, now!"

Charmander knocks Weepinbell into the air with its Skull bash. "Uh! Weepinbell, return now!" said Erika.

"Ash is doing well." said Brock.

"He might actually win." said a salesgirl.

"Yeah, he's a lot more impressive than he looks." said another.

"Your battle skills are impressive, Ash." Erika tells him. "But there's one thing you don't have: empathy with your Pokémon. Without it, you'll never become a great Pokémon trainer like me. Now I'm going to teach you a lesson in empathy."

"This is going to be the lesson of the year." said Hayley.

"Gloom, go!" shouted Erika, letting out Gloom.

"Gloom." said Gloom, with some drool on its face. Ash and Charmander gasped.

"Gloom!" shouted Gloom, releasing Stun spore.

"Char! Char!" shouted Charmander as Stun spore got into his nose and fell to the ground.

"Oh! Charmander, return." said Ash, returning Charmander to his Pokeball.

"Poor Ash." said Erika, laughing at him. "Your Pokémon could use some more training."

"Are you going to...?" Misty started to asked Hayley.

"Nah....he deserves it today." she tells her.

"If Gloom beats Charmander, what Pokémon can I use next?" Ash asks himself before closing his eyes. "Squirtle, Pidgeotto and Pikachu couldn't take that terrible smell and I won't risk using Meeko or one of Hayley's other Pokémon."

"Chu!" Pikachu called out to Ash.

"Pikachu?" asked Ash.

"Pika." said Pikachu.

"You're saying you want to battle?" asked Ash.

"Pikachu." he said, nodding.

"You know you're probably going to lose, but you're still willing to battle Gloom to help me out?" he asked.

"Pika, Pika." said Pikachu, hitting Ash's face.

"What? You say you're sure you'll win?" he asked.

"Pikachu! Pika-pi." said Pikachu, facing away from Ash, smirking.

"Oh, Pikachu." said Ash, hugging the mouse Pokémon.

"Heartwarming, but what's that smell?" asked Jessie.

"What?" asked Ash.

"Your Pokémon skills are stinking up this Gym even worse than Gloom." Jessie tells him.

"It's Team Rocket!" said Misty.

"To protect the world from devastation..."

"To untie all peoples within our nation...."

"To denounce the evils of truth and love..."

"To extend our reach to the stars above..."

"And last, but not least, to blast this dump sky high!" said Meowth, pressing the detonator on the TNT box.

"Jessie!"

"James!"

Suddenly there was a blast. "Where did you put that blast ball?" James asked, strangling Meowth.

"Near us so I wouldn't lose it." said Meowth, turning a little blue. "Ah!"

"At least we get this lovely parting gift, their secret perfume formula." said Jessie, with the bottle in hand.

"What?" shouted Ash.

"Team Rocket's blasting off again." all three shouted. Just then, a fire broke out in the Gym.

"Quick, girls, we've got to rescue all the Pokémon fast!" shouted a salesgirl.

Everyone started hurrying around, gathering all the grass type Pokémon. A Bellsprout and an Oddish were hiding behind a bush. "Quick now! Get into the Pokeball and I'll carry you to safety." said the girl, holding up two Pokéballs in her hand.

"Hurry! Now!"

"Hurry!"

"There's some over here!"

"There's a Pokémon!"

"We've got to get them all!"

"Keep looking. Look everywhere."

"Call the fire department!"

"They're on their way."

Outside, the Gym became afire as all of the trainers were putting it out. "Pika, Pika." said Pikachu, holding a watering can filled with water. "Cha."

"I should have never listened to Team Rocket." thought Ash.

"Don't just stand around, Ash!" shouted Misty.

"Huh?"

"Help us put out the fire before this whole Gym is burnt to the ground." she tells him.

"Yeah, all right. Squirtle, water gun!" shouted Ash.

"Staryu, Starmie, help us out now!" shouted Misty.

"Squirtle!" shouted Squirtle as he and the others popped out of their Pokéballs and starts putting out the fire.

"Geodude!" Brock shouted. "Throw as much dirt as you can on the flames!"

"Dude!" said Geodude, carrying dirt in its arms and spreading it across the flames. "Geodude, Geodude, Geodude."

"Keep on spraying." said Misty.

"We've almost got it!" said Ash. Erika looks around, looking for Gloom.

"Erika, what's the matter?" asked Misty.

"I've looked and looked, but I can't find Gloom anywhere." she said.

"Did Gloom get out?" asked Ash.

"Huh?"

"What if Gloom...? What if Gloom's still inside?" asked Erika.

"Wait a sec." said Misty, looking around in the crowd for a certain girl and her Pokémon. "Where's Hayley and Meeko?"

"I thought she was right behind...." said Ash, then looks over his shoulder at the crowd. "Hayley!"

"Hayley! Hayley!" shouted Misty. Ash and Misty looked at each other before looking at the Gym. "She must still be inside with Gloom." said Erika, then runs towards her gym. "Ah!"

"You can't go in there, Erika." said Misty, holding her back.

"But Gloom maybe trapped inside with Hayley and Meeko." said Erika.

"I'll go inside, find Gloom, Hayley and Meeko!" said Ash, running towards the burning building.

"Don't Ash!" shouted Misty but was too late as he went inside.

"Gloom? Hayley? Meeko?" Ash called out.

"Gloom!" Gloom called out to him.

"Huh? Ah!" Ash turns around and sees Gloom standing next to Hayley and Meeko, who were both coughing from the smoke.

"Gloom, Gloom!" whimpered Gloom.

"Ash! Misty! Brock! Someone help me!" shouted Hayley, coughing as she covered her face with her shirt with Meeko on her back.

"Hayley. Meeko." Ash whispered. "Don't worry, Gloom. I promise I'll get you and my sister out of here!" Suddenly, Gloom releases its stun spore, causing Ash to back away. "I can't get closer to that smell." said Ash, covering his nose. Pieces of the ceiling fell to the ground in front of Gloom, Meeko and Hayley. "Gloom!" cried Gloom.

"Help!" screamed Hayley, pulling Meeko towards her.

"Riol!" cried Meeko. Ash then takes a deep breath and runs in. "It's okay, Gloom. It's going to be okay." said Ash.

"Ashy!" shouted Hayley but then, Ash starts struggling to breathe.

"Riolu!" cried Meeko.

"It's too much! I can't hold my breath any longer." mumbled Ash and he exhales. "Huh? There's no smell." Ash gasps as he remembers what Erika said about Gloom.

"As long as Gloom doesn't feel threatened, it smells just fine." said Erika. "Just make sure Gloom feels safe and show you want to be its friend."

"Come on. Let's go, Gloom." said Ash. "You and Meeko hold onto me, Hayley."

"Gloom, Gloom." Gloom said happily.

"Let's go, Ash." said Hayley. Outside of the gym, everyone was worried about Ash, Hayley, Meeko and Gloom.

"Pikachu." said Pikachu. Misty gasps as she sees Ash running out with Gloom in his arms and Hayley at his side. "Pika! Pikachu!" shouted Pikachu as he jumps into Hayley's arms.

"All right, hey!" shouted Brock as he and the others ran towards them. "Ash!"

"That was great!" said Misty.

"Thank you, Ash." said Erika. The next day after Hayley and Meeko were thoroughly checked out, Ash and the others were standing in front of the Celadon Gym. "With deep gratitude, I present you with this Rainbow badge." said Erika, handing Ash the badge.

"What's that for?" Ash asked.

"I think you earned it." said Erika. "Don't you, Gloom?"

"Gloom, Gloom." Gloom said in agreement.

"Thanks a lot." said Ash. "Take a look, Pikachu. A Rainbow badge."

"Pi, Pikachu!"

"Gloom, Gloom."

"Ri, Riolu!"

"Congratulations, Ash." said Brock.

"Thanks." said Ash.

"Ash, you're the best big brother I could ever have." said Hayley. "You're my hero."

"And you're the best little sister I could ever have." said Ash, smiling at her. "Uh, what about Team Rocket? They got away with your secret perfume formula."

"(giggles) No they didn't." said Erika. "The bottle they stole has only one of our perfume's secret ingredients: essence of Gloom."

"No way." said Hayley, grinning.

"Riolu!" laughed Meeko, holding her sides. Hiding somewhere, Jessie opens the perfume bottle and all three of them smells the essence of Gloom.

"Hm?" said James, realizing what it was. Team Rocket tries to get away from the smell until they reached fresh air. "It stinks!" said Jessie.

"Just like your plan." said James.

"You said it!" said Meowth.

Narrator: And so, in the race for a Rainbow badge, its Ash by a nose. But most valuable of all, Ash has learned an important lesson, you can't judge a Pokémon by its smell.

Hayley: And I'm glad that he got the badge.

Narrator: How are you and Meeko feeling?

Hayley: Better.

Meeko: Riol.

Narrator: That's great.

Hayley: Next time, I'm just gonna run away if a building's on fire.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

653 3 18
It's Ashley Ketchum's tenth birthday, and she's ready to do what many 10-year-olds in the Kanto region set out to do-become a Pokémon Trainer! Things...
50K 767 40
If Leon vs. Alain, or the Tournament in the anime is not your cup of tea, why not read another version of the Masters 8? The story continues from Pok...
7K 196 44
Join Ash on his journey of the 10 regions and become the Pokemon Master. Ash and 12 girls harem. Part 2 of the series: Johto.
52K 1.3K 41
"How much do you want to become a Pokemon Master, Ash?" Lance asked Ash, who stopped to think for a moment about the question. "I would do anything...