The Merger

By JSPRomComs

[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language... More

Important Note - Book Update
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue
COMING SOON: Book 2!
Thanks!
Other Books

Chapter 37

730 42 144
By JSPRomComs

The Internship Interview,
About 15 Years Ago

The Talia that was just here was unlike the Talia I met at the Christmas party. This girl who is competing against me for this interview is like a wound-up version, ready to explode at any minute. Too bad she turned out to be rude and self-centered. I figuratively pat myself on the back for missing that bullet. Besides, if anything had happened between us at the Christmas party it would've made this situation of competing for a job extremely awkward.

"I'm assuming you're here for the interview too. Name?" The young, blonde receptionist who kindly offered her sweater to Talia asks.

"Yeah. Lucas Handler."

"Have you right here," she says as she clicks away on her computer. "You're early but I'll let the hiring manager know you're in." She smiles widely when our eyes meet and then her gaze scans over me.

"Thanks," I respond before leaning over the desk. "Hey, that was really nice of you to lend your sweater to the other candidate."

The woman's cheeks turn pink before she smiles even wider. "Oh, it was nothing. The poor girl looked like a train wreck." Her eyes move over me again before she adds, "It's just what I like to do sometimes, give to those in need."

I reciprocate her smile. Should I talk to her some more? She seems kind, is pretty to look at, and her eyes twinkle as she grins at me. But I quickly shake the thought away. Normally I would stay and flirt, but I need to get my head in the game before this interview. If I don't get the job, Dad will lose his mind and I won't hear the end of it.

Before I turn around, the receptionist speaks again. "So, Handsome, aren't you going to ask for my number?"

I tilt my head back briefly before a smile finds its way back to my lips again. I don't even need to flirt. This woman knows what she wants and is going for it. She does seem a little on the desperation side, but maybe I'm just reading into it. "I wanted to but I thought maybe there'd be a conflict of interest if I did."

She giggles. "Yeah, you're right. So I guess we'll have to wait and see if you get the job then."

"I guess I'll have to be on my best behavior if a pretty girl's number is at stake."

The smile from her face vanishes and she stands up to match my eyeline. "I hope you get the job, Lucas."

Her sudden seriousness makes my eyebrows shoot up for a moment. I glance at her nameplate. "I hope so too, Gina," I say before stepping back and making my way over to my seat.

I start running through my notes, making sure I'm able to answer any question that comes my way. A few minutes later, a clicking of heels sound from down the hall forces me to look up. Talia is walking back from the bathroom, seeming to be in much better spirits with smoothed-out hair, completed makeup, and lighter steps. I quickly look back at my notes and try to focus, despite the butterflies erupting in my stomach. What is with me? Focus, Lucas.

After a few minutes, Talia marches toward me clanging on about some missing packet. While her bark doesn't scare me, my toes curl in annoyance at the strong accusations she's making against me. Still, a part of me feels bad for her. What will the others in this office think about her yelling at another candidate? "I told you, I don't have it! Now calm down, or someone's going to kick you out."

Talia bites her lip and begins searching all of the cushions nearby. I'm about to start moving to help her look but she turns around quickly and storms up to me. "Fuck you! You'd like that wouldn't you?" she spits out before sprinting back down the hall.

My eyes grow wide as I glance between the hallway where Talia was just running in and Gina. The receptionist makes a face with scrunched brows that seems to say, "Can you believe that girl?"

I don't react and start looking around the area of Talia's bag and some of the seats to see if I can help her find it. As much as Talia is weirding me out, something else must be going on with her. But before I can look any further, someone from the glass doors leading to the main offices grabs my attention. "Lucas Handler?"

"Yes?" I turn around to find a middle-aged man, with a short buzz cut and receding hairline, at the door.

"We're ready for you."

I straighten. The interview is already starting? "Oh, sure. I'll just grab my things." I move back to my seat confused as hell. They are summoning me about half an hour too early. I turn back to the man at the door. "Sorry, I think Talia Nassar was supposed to interview before me."

"Well, looks like she left," the man glances at the receptionist who stands up.

"I'll talk to Talia. Go on in, Lucas. I'll get it all worked out."

I hesitate for a moment before nodding. Talia probably left for the forgotten packet and emailed the receptionist or something. If anything, maybe they'll just switch our interview spots. My nerves heighten as I follow the man through the glass doors. I need to get this job.

You got this, Lucas. You're going to crush this interview.

After following the man to one of the cubicles, I sit down on the seat offered to me. The man introduces himself as Jerry and kicks off the interview by asking me to tell him about myself.

I dive into my background and work experience making sure to touch on the key points I researched that would fit well with the company. Jerry looks impressed with his encouraging nods and warm smiles. When I share that I like to play golf, we end up talking about the game for the majority of the time.

"Well, thanks for coming in, Lucas. I can tell you now, you got the job."

Lightness lifts my chest as I grin wildly. "Oh, what? Seriously?"

"You fit exactly what we're looking for and we'd love to have you join us for the summer."

I smile wider but it falters as soon as a thought comes to mind. "Don't you have to interview the other candidates first before deciding?"

The man shakes his head. "You're our only candidate. The other finalist withdrew."

What the-? Talia withdrew? Why the hell would she do that? This is the best opportunity anyone in our school can get.

"Oh, wow. I didn't realize." I furrow my brows. It doesn't make sense. "Are you sure she withdrew or did something-"

"Do you want the job or not, kid?"

I straighten and nod. "Of course. Yes, please. Thank you for this opportunity. I look forward to joining the team."

"Great! I'll send over the contract and details through email. We're excited to have you on board."

We shake hands before I make my way out back to the lobby area. Talia is nowhere in sight and Gina still sits at her desk in front of the opposite wall. The receptionist smiles once she glances up. "How did it go, Handsome?"

"I think I got it." I'm still hesitant. It feels too good to be true. It's as if no matter what I said, I would've gotten the job.

"Amazing! Once you start, I'll be sure to have my number ready for you. I would give it to you now, but I have to at least try to play hard to get." She smiles seductively, but it doesn't do much for me for some reason. My mind is still on Talia and trying to figure out why she dropped out.

I smile back though. Maybe I'll give things a shot with Gina in the future. "I'm looking forward to it." My knuckles knock against her desk as my mind continues to turn. "Hey, do you know why the other candidate dropped out?"

Gina raises a brow. "Oh, that bitch is crazy. She said she couldn't be a part of an establishment that interviewed people like you. Sorry, they were her words, not mine."

My stomach drops and I shake my head in disbelief. "What the hell? Are you serious?"

"Yeah. It was awful. I told her we didn't want her and her attitude here anyway."

My skin tingles with discomfort. Talia did seem like a basket case today but why was she taking all of her anger out on me? It doesn't make any sense.

The receptionist twirls a strand of hair between her fingers. "Did you guys know each other?"

I shake my head before nodding. "A little. But I don't get what she has against me specifically. I didn't do anything. She kept going on about how I took something from her when I wasn't even near her stuff."

"Oh, I heard that! She's crazy. I have a clear view of her stuff and literally no one touched it. Just forget about her and you do you."

My frown softens. Maybe Talia is jealous of me and when she realized she'd be competing against me, she knew she couldn't win? I am the smartest person at school after all and others know it. Maybe she can't handle the pressure?

"Thanks for the support, Gina. I'll see you around."

"Bye, Handsome!" she says sweetly as I walk away.

I got the job. It's now time to celebrate and forget about the strange way it happened. Though I make a mental note to ask Talia about it if I ever run into her again.

I take a deep breath and text the guys. We're going out tonight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6.3K 52
As much as Kimberly Astor hated to admit it, she had a slight problem. Okay, so it was theoretically a major problem, but it wasn't entirely her faul...
167K 3.6K 33
Jason I started kissing her jaw but not kissing her lips, I like to tease her "Jason please... " she moans grabbing my hair. "Patience baby, do you...
189K 3.1K 13
"We've both had too much to drink, David." She whispered into his ear, like a siren with a little flick of her tongue. "And on a weekday too. Boy, we...
38.1K 515 10
Opposites attract. A truth as old as old is the world. But what will happen when two people, equally ambitious and unscrupulous, cross their paths? ...