Restitution: The Pit In Tryin...

By Themis003

You stood for spring and just like the season, you came and went. That's what you were for him: a time of war... More

Prologue
1 - Progress?
2 - So That's Why
3 - Work For Your Goals
4 - Duties Of A Friend
5 - Someone Has To Worry
6 - Past And New
7 - The Right Colors
8 - Like One, Hate One
9 - Home
Flashback - A Grudge's Origin
10 - A Fun Breakfast
11 - His Father
12 - Irony Everywhere
13 - Cold
14 - Warm
15 - Man To Man
16 - The Talk
17 - Two Cliffs
18 - A Villain; A Son
19 - Guilty Conscience
20 - The Witness
21 - Late Night
22 - Smoky Victim
23 - 'Grave' Misconception
24 - Collateral
25 - Three Brain Cells
26 - Dream
27 - Blonde's Blond
28 - End of a Line
Flashback - A Hero; A Son
29 - Nonsense
30 - A Peek Behind the Curtain
31 - Solid Step
32 - Antiheroes
33 - Little Birdie
34 - Ambience
35 - A Worse Lunch
37 - Delusions, Delusions

36 - Fool's Faith

202 13 10
By Themis003

You hadn't worn your new hero costume too many times yet. Its improvements still made you smile; your body was way less exposed without jeopardizing your quirk's advantages in the sunlight. As you stared at Todoroki though, it dawned on you that he'd influenced your costume to the point of changing it completely while he kept the same design from freshman year.

You hummed in thought. Todoroki walked beside you, unaware of your neverending stare. An idea popped into your head and you slammed the side of your first onto your palm,"That'd be cute!"

His eyes trailed to yours in quiet bemusement. Todoroki tilted his head,"What is it?"

You paid no mind to him yet as you willed a familiar flower to sprout from the concrete under you and plucked it. It had a particularly long stem. Without thinking much of it, you slipped a finger under Todoroki's belt. The man flinched violently and restrained your wrist, his face beet red,"Love...we're in public."

You burst into a giggle,"That's not what I was trying to do. Yet, anyways."

"Then?", his grip on you relaxed. You slid the long stem through the small gap between his costume and belt before wrapping it around and tying it together. His eyes widened,"Oh."

"We're matching!", you beamed,"You're the reason I have a bunch of camellias on my head. Now you'll have one too. I infused my energy in it so your quirk won't damage it. You'll have no excuse to not have it, mister."

A quiet contentment spread through him. It was a small detail but the idea made him feel closer. Todoroki nodded with a tiny smile. Your warning wasn't necessary; he'd treasure the flower, solely because it came from you.

You returned an appreciative smile. He didn't treat you differently despite the small crowd that lagged behind, photographing and recording. A frequent occurrence considering your evergrowing status but at least the tailgating would be over soon. Your destination was just ahead.

Truth be told, the destination bothered you more than the crowd. Seeing Endeavor at home was normal...but his agency? It'd been years since you set foot in that building. Whatever the reason to call you both in, it wouldn't be good. The man was an expert at mortifying you with each encounter.

To cope with the worry, you joked,"I wonder if we're getting a spanking."

Todoroki was just as much in the dark about this but he shook his head confidently,"We're not in trouble. My father doesn't have authority over our professional lives. It's more likely he needs us for a mission."

"That's so much worse! He's the number one hero, what are we supposed to handle that he can't? I'm telling you. One way or another, it's a spanking, and I'll expect you to sacrifice your cheeks for me."

He chuckled softly,"If it makes you happy."

The crowd was forced to stay behind once you crossed ornamental gates. You were in private property now. Glass doors were all that separated you from the flaming silhouette of Endeavor as he faced another figure, their movements suggesting that they were mid-conversation before the automatic doors opened as you neared. 

Your throat ran dry at the golden-brown irises that met yours. The color wasn't clear through his yellow lenses but having spent all your teenage years idolizing the winged pro-hero, you recognized him easily and froze like a deer in headlights.

Endeavor was quick to dive into a scrutinizing demeanor at the sight of you,"Were you raised in a barn? Announce yourself. You're in a place of business."

Hawks let out a 'pff',"Don't listen to him. The old man's cranky because he missed his bingo session."

"...How old do you take me for?", Endeavor's question came out as a challenge that the blond ignored as he flashed you a grin.

"It's taken so long to meet you! Forgive me if I'm too excited. I've been a fan since your first Sports Festival. If our quirks weren't polar opposites I would've offered you an internship, but hey, at least I convinced this old man to do it instead."

The friendly pats on Endeavor's back prompted him a glare that you were oblivious to, your irregularly blinking eyes glued onto Hawks with awe that kept on piling. 

Your disbelief worked faster than your brain,"You're a fan of me?"

"Absolutely! We're the same soul in a different world. Young, ambitious...take it from a bird. I had wings to spread across the sky, but you dug your roots into the ground and bloomed mightily."

The compliment hit you like a truck, knocking you into a starstruck state that didn't fly past the man beside you. Todoroki furrowed his brows briefly at the shine in your eyes. He usually cherished that look and he would've now too if it wasn't born from another man's words.

But he wouldn't speak out against it. He knew well your worth and respect from a pro-hero was unsurprising, not to mention meaningful to you. Though that thought only uneased him more and he glanced at his father disapprovingly,"What are we here for that couldn't be discussed at home?"

"You'll want to mind your tongue today. The matter at hand is your career, and Hawks will be discussing the same with Flora."

You snapped out of your trance, defensively turning towards Endeavor with a frown of confusion,"What? You're making no sense. We're independent heroes. Whatever this is about, you have no control over our careers, and Hawks...?" 

Your voice came noticeably polite towards him,"I respect you like you wouldn't believe but you're still a stranger. I'm not sure you have the right to discuss my future with me."

His reaction worried you more than Endeavor's but he was far from offended. The smile that stretched across his face was warm and he reassured,"You're not wrong. Here's my solution: let's not be strangers anymore. From now on, call me Keigo, and I'll call you (Last Name). That sound okay?"

It took every fiber in you to not gush visibly. What was it about your teenage wishes that just happened to align with your adult life? Meeting your idol, dating your crush...You glanced at Todoroki to double-check whether you'd heard Hawks correctly, nearly jumping at how much closer he hovered than you remembered.

The churn in Todoroki's gut was conflicting. He was proud of you for getting recognition from the number two hero but that admiration tugged at a fine line he didn't like tested. Suppressing the swelling resentment, a bit of apathy seeped through his words,"Crossing paths was a one-time thing. There's no point in growing closer."

Your breath slowed when catching his dead gaze.

There it is again.

The single thing that bothered you about Todoroki. He worked hard to make you feel treasured, safe, but that overprotectiveness managed to unease you so much at times that it managed the opposite effect. You trusted him too much to dwell on it but it felt like something to address soon.

"Shoto?"

Your gentle call ripped his eyes from Hawks and the quick warmth in them when landing on you was predictable. You showed him a small smile before muttering quietly,"I know this is sudden...but if we rush these 'conversations', we could get out early enough to have a date. It's been a while. What do you think?"

Todoroki's face melted innocently. His tense demeanor was hard to keep when your attention was on him and he nodded, subtly grasping at your hand to give it a squeeze with a much lighter look.

"Just you and me. I'd like that."

Endeavor scorned the small interaction with apparent disgust,"Was the unprotected intercourse not enough? I didn't call you here to watch you be inappropriate. Stop wasting time, Shoto. We have too much to talk about. Let's go."

Of course. It wouldn't be Endeavor if he didn't humiliate you at least once. You stood mortified, the feeling multiplying tenfold when Hawks whistled childishly--the last thing you wanted your idol to hear and the last thing you wanted him to respond with. Only when soft lips brushed against your knuckles did the scalding heat across your face die down a little.

The tenderness in Todoroki's actions comforted you. His presence loomed closer, voice soft and low,"Before I go, promise me you won't let your guard down around him. I know you can take care of yourself but I'll breathe easier."

Unevenly colored eyes stayed on yours patiently. The request was unsurprising but crumbled your defenses nonetheless and though he was obsessing over your safety yet again, it was too sweet to resist this time. A smile tugged at your lips,"I'll be fine! Go with your dad. He's giving us dirty looks."

Your boyfriend didn't need to confirm that by looking back. He ignored it, letting himself admire the joyful look on you before placing a gentle kiss on the top of your head and mumbling a quick 'I love you' that left you blushing and smiling dumbly as he followed out a grumbling Endeavor. Todoroki held no difference to whether you were alone or not, and whether that was a good or bad thing, you still didn't know.

Your hands rubbed at your cheeks in an attempt to cool down. The voice behind you came lighthearted,"Oh, young love..."

You laughed,"Hawks, you're only in your twenties."

"It's different in bird years."

The pro-hero's playfulness faltered as he nodded towards the opposite direction Todoroki left,"We should talk somewhere private. That being said, I heard what Shoto said and if you feel uncomfortable at any point, feel free to give me a swift kick where the sun doesn't shine. I won't fight back."

That's one way to hook me.

Hawks didn't give you a chance to think it over before he set out that direction. You had no choice but to quickly catch up beside him, lacing your hands behind your back as you followed close. You hummed curiously,"So, this whole thing about my career..."

"Don't worry. You're not in trouble. In fact, half of what I mean to talk about has to do with my own."

"Ah."

The words only left more questions but respecting his wishes for a private space, you let them simmer in your mind, following in silence. 

Time slipped by unnoticed until a collision against cushiony coat grounded you again. A cautious hand steadied you, accompanied by a small laugh,"Watch out. We're here."

Hawks guided you forward with a gentle hand on your back, leading you into a room that resembled an office. The view of the city skyline through the window would've captivated you under different circumstances but the soft click of the closing door dispelled any sense of awe, leaving you alone with the winged pro-hero.

You didn't feel unsafe per se but the seemingly serious discussion looming ahead filled you with a creeping sense of dread that ate at your stomach. Your thumbs awkwardly fiddled with each other behind you as you waited for him to take the lead.

Hawks could pinpoint your nervousness. As a hero, he felt compelled to alleviate it but he hesitated. Perhaps the obvious body language could work to his advantage. After all, he needed truth.

The winged pro-hero discreetly segued with a friendly smile,"Please don't take anything Endeavor says at heart. I can tell he respects you, and Shoto seems to be pretty taken himself."

"Please", you laughed,"Endeavor would tap dance from excitement if I stopped talking to Shoto. But Shoto...Yeah. He treats me with the most delicate love I've ever felt. I'm lucky."

"Right. It seems like you have a gift for meeting multiple Todorokis and going unscathed, don't you?"

Your laughter got caught in your throat. The smile on Hawks was just as warm as before but a subtle shift caught your attention. Something was off. The hint of calculation in his gaze, the peculiar word choice...

He knows something.

Despite the growing apprehension, you forced a smile and nodded. He sighed, an action you couldn't tell whether was genuine or not,"I've certainly needed that gift. Endeavor can be, for lack of a better word, a hothead. The only break I've gotten from him was back when I was a double agent. Oh-...oops. Don't tell anyone about that, okay?"

His playful shushing motion didn't land well with you. You furrowed your brows. Hawks was nowhere near dumb enough to slip like this by accident. 

The pro-hero continued the innocent-seeming rant,"You know how overwhelming he can be. As dirty it was to pretend working with the League of Villains, I'll admit, it was a bit of a relief sometimes."

His gaze bore into you,"After all, at least they didn't have a Todoroki, right?"

The realization struck you like a freezing wave. 

He knew. Hawks knew about Touya and he knew you knew. This wasn't a casual joke; it was a ploy to gauge your honesty. Another cold feeling took over as you panicked. 

Was that why the number two hero had you alone? Why Endeavor separated Shoto from you? Did they suspect you of foul play and plan to apprehend you?

No. That would mean Endeavor knew about Touya too and he would've already ripped you apart for hiding something like that. The air grew thick enough with tension that you had to swallow to breathe,"I..."

Hawks didn't press for an answer but the intensity of his stare still intimidated you. Now you felt like a hypocrite. Just moments ago, you'd disapproved of Todoroki's overprotectiveness but all you wanted now was for him to find you and bring you back into his comfort.

Unable to bear the weight of the silence any longer, you gave in, your voice laced with guilt,"Hawks, how do you know about that?"

That was the sign Hawks needed to drop his facade. His smile flattened into a tight line. You didn't know him well enough to tell what he was thinking. Would he accuse you of working with villains?

For a tense moment, the pro-hero let the silence hang before breathing out what was definitely a real sigh this time. His golden-brown irises glinted with a compassion that lessened your worry,"(Last Name), you're as pale as a ghost. I meant what I said. You're not in trouble, because we're the same soul in different worlds."

You had to admit,"...I'm gonna need some help understanding."

Hawks explained with bitterness tinging his tone,"Dabi revealed himself to me too. It's a power play he uses against the people close to his family--a punishment."

The pro-hero pulled out a chair for you. It's not like he needed to read your body language anymore. 

As you sat, a chuckle escaped him,"I'll admit, the more Endeavor complained about you getting close to Shoto, the more fleeting suspicions I had that he'd do the same to you but I never acted on them. Not until I soared the skies during the latest manhunt and found him. Care to guess on who I saw him talking to?"

You winced,"Oh god. Do you think I'm working with him?"

The smile your way felt genuine enough for your dread to die down, especially with his reassurance,"Not at all. A little birdie told me you've tried hunting him down. I'm impressed, actually."

"Why? It's not like I've gotten anywhere with it."

Hawks got comfortable on top of the desk in front of you,"I've seen countless agencies try and fail to track old members from the League of Villains. I'm curious. How did you do it?"

"Oh...", your gaze uncomfortably traveled to your hands,"It's...a lot to explain."

Hawks shrugged,"We have time."

"I'm not talking time-wise, Hawks...My quirk's centered around plants so I'm always aware of the dying plants near me. At the risk of sounding cheesy, I always considered that a good thing because it meant I could save them. That's until Dabi came into the picture."

The man noticed the hint of defeat in your tone as you continued through old memories.

"The day I met him, he'd incinerated the wilderness around us so bad that the gruesome feeling I felt from those plants was just burnt into me. It kept me up at night because that feeling was so unique that whenever I felt it again, I knew exactly who caused it and exactly where too. I was always terrified, angry, and I wanted so badly to do something about it but the best I could do was keep note of where he went because I'd be stupid--not to mention dead--to try facing him on my own."

A warmth bloomed in your chest as you looked up to Hawks,"But that's changed now. Shoto knows how much catching Dabi means to me and he's trained me for it. I'm not sure I'm ready yet, but one thing is certain--I'll fulfill my duty as a hero and work as hard as it takes to bring Dabi to justice."

The soft-spoken determination brought a sparkle to the pro-hero's eyes. A proud grin stretched across his lips,"Not many people have the courage to go against Dabi, especially at a disadvantage. I can't be more glad to give you that plaque."

"I'm sorry?"

Hawks teased,"You didn't think I reached out just to nag about a serial killer, did you? That wouldn't be fun. Say...quick history quiz. Do you happen to know who became pro-hero at the youngest age?"

You tilted your head at the strange question,"Well...That was you at 18, wasn't it? And after that, it was Midoriya at 18 and some days."

"Smart woman. Can you name more?"

"Not really, no. I think there's a big age gap with whoever the third is. Why?"

The glee in Hawks' expression only served to puzzle you. He ignored your question, leaning over the desk he sat on to reach for a plaque hidden underneath. His gloved hand gently placed it between yours and your eyes skimmed the golden letters.

Awarded by the Hero Billboard Charts,

For honoring the public, the public now honors Keigo Takami(HAWKS) as an official pro-hero. May your courage serve as a beacon of hope.

A small piece of wood but you forgot to breathe just from holding it. 

Your fingers grazed the smooth glass shielding the letters, the deep sense of admiration running through you rendering you speechless and engrossed. Hawks' reach into his coat went unnoticed.

Your focus was almost ruined as Hawks attempted to slide a second plaque on top with an unrestrained grin. You quickly swatted his hand away, his smile turning into an open frown when you complained,"Hold on, I'm not done looking at it."

"You're ruining my build-up!", he whined.

You muttered an empty apology while flipping the plaque and taking in the new details. Hawks sighed in defeat, understanding of your fixation but sure you'd like the second one much better. 

"How about a trade? You give me back my plaque, and I'll hand you yours."

"I'm okay- Huh?"

His words took you for a spin. Your lips parted at what they almost sounded like and to the pr-hero's expectation, you couldn't resist looking at the second plaque now. You took quiet strides to a beaming Hawks and glanced at the object in his hands. The design was the same, but a few letters different.

Awarded by the Hero Billboard Charts,

For honoring the public, the public now honors (Last-

"No way."

Never had a disbelief been so strong yet so wanted, the full force of reading only one different syllable shaking up your very core and Hawks relished it joyfully.

"Way. Midoriya's accomplishments are impressive but he had All Might all along. Shoto has his father. You're only nineteen and accomplished this by yourself. Who better to break these news than the one person who understands how hard that is?"

The complete shock that'd walled your reaction off came crumbling down and you freaked,"I'M A PRO-HERO?!"

Hawks couldn't help bursting into deep laughter,"There's a few weeks left until the next Hero Billboard Charts, not to mention the bonfire they host the night before which you'll be invited to...but yes. You'll be announced along with a handful of other promoting heroes."

"This is..."

Your voice was lost somewhere among the thousands of feelings swirling brazenly inside your chest. Disbelief was the main one, though the more it dawned on you that this was real, the more self-pride that fought to overwhelm you.

You pressed your lips into a forced frown as your sight grew blurry, a small sense of denial still coursing through you as you asked with a whisper,"This isn't some kind of cruel prank?"

Hawks seemed to soften at the hopeful question. His gloved hand took the foreign plaque off your limp hands, placing your own in between them instead with a heartfelt smile,"Real as your UA rank, real as the citizens you've saved from villains, and real as the League of Villains member you put away. I promise you, it's as real as it gets."

Your heart soared as Hawk's words sank in. A rush of euphoria rushed over you, the grin on your face threatening to split your face in two and wiping your eyes quickly, you let out a joyful laugh that echoed in the room as you pressed your plaque against your chest so tight it could've broken your ribs.

The pro-hero grasped your shoulders from behind and manually walked you to the door--a welcomed help, because your legs felt as if on air. He encouraged,"Come on, let's go show the other two! Maybe they'll faint from excitement. You can kiss Shoto awake, and I'll...leave Endeavor on the floor."

"Oh my god, yes!", just thinking how proud Todoroki would be had you even giddier. You made no move against the playful manner Hawks guided you through the halls. His pushes led you through countless halls that felt both instantaneous and eternal.

Hearing Endeavor's voice at the other side of the door never felt so good. You practically jumped through, uncontrollably bubbly,"Shoto-!"

Oh.

Your bliss evaporated once laying eyes on Todoroki's agitated expression, a rare sight outside of battle. The plaque he held tightly only added to his tension.

It didn't take long for you to piece what was happening.

The angelic sound of your voice was about the only thing that could've snapped him out. He murmured,"(Name)...?"

 A bead of sweat was gathered at his temple from shock he hadn't yet recovered from. It only doubled when landing between your hands and his breath hitched before looking you in the eyes. Your heart wrenched.

Even with everything, you didn't have it in your heart to put anything above Todoroki's state. A few steps brought you close enough to delicately reach and wipe his temple. His heterochromatic eyes were still dazed when they met yours.

You gave him the most comforting smile you could while cupping his cheeks,"Shoto, what's that look for? We both know you deserve every bit of recognition you get. All you went through to get here...This was bound to happen. I'm so proud of you. I'm sure Rei will be too--imagine how much she'll smile when she hears of this! So smile for her too."

Something penetrated the fog in his mind. Whether it was your words, your touch, or the sweet smile he held so precious, it didn't matter because it all led to the thought that finally grounded the man.

You're everything.

Todoroki's expression didn't give away much. You were beyond used to that, the only sign that he heard you being the softening in his gaze but his lack of response made you go a little further. You pushed your thumbs further into his cheeks, forcing a wonky smile on him with a giggle,"There you g-!"

Two arms embraced you tightly, fingers digging softly into your hair to hold you against Todoroki in a warm embrace that melted your initial startlement right off. His other hand held your waist gingerly and if not for how close his calm voice was to your ear, you wouldn't have picked up on it.

"Love, please don't put your own achievements on hold for me. They're just as significant as mine. More, even. Your pride for me doesn't hold a candle to what I'm feeling for you right now. I'm the luckiest man alive to love you while you flourish."

The swell of your heart at that was unbearable. You did your best to keep your beaming smile controlled but to no avail--it was wide enough to hurt your cheeks more than the heat on them. You pushed yourself on your toe to lean up and kiss him but got interrupted halfway.

"Flora."

Oh my god, GET A LIFE.

The distaste Endeavor showed your way for your display wasn't even fair. His own son started it. A similar twinge of annoyance rested on the peppermint-haired man's face; you could tell from the slight squeeze at your waist that the moment was way too short for his liking. 

That being said, you were at a workplace...

You sighed bitterly before taking a step back and met the man's uptight gaze, well-practiced and ready for whatever demeaning comment he had in store for you this time.

"Congratulations. If I'm expected to let my son date someone...I suppose you're a fine person when you try to be."

Your brain stopped working. The winged pro-hero hung behind Endeavor, visibly amused at your stunned expression and raising his brows as if to claim,'What did I say?'.

"...Oh."

The silence as you tried to come up with a proper response made you shift side to side uncomfortably,"Um...yes, thank you, I guess. Your respect is truly, um...honorabl-"

"You don't have to pretend we're friends. Just go have your date already. I won't stand for more PDA."

------------------------------------

We're all gonna be like this 💻👩🏽‍🦳☕️by the time I get to finish this

Also, for the people that read this story on Wattpad, I posted a quick(gross) thing on my quotev activity board in case any of the three of you are interested. I love all of you though <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.4K 486 14
Your life has always longed for another half, your heart had constantly yearned for a warm embrace. The cold streets during the winter season, left y...
509K 8.6K 55
If you love Shoto Todoroki, you've come to the right place! Welcome to a book about you and everyone's favourite icyhot boi! *NO LONGER WRITING*
7M 175K 140
(Important: DO NOT REPOST, STEAL OR COPY my work, please!) Status update: DISCONTINUED since 2021 [Requests are not open anymore, sorry!] Have you ev...
1.2K 40 23
This is a reader x Todoroki ff Your name is Hitori Niko(You may change it to your own) ------------------------------ "Niko, please return to me.."Hi...