Burnin' Love (1)

By Profiler2610

Nicole Severide grew up with her older brother Kelly as one of the only people she could trust. Then she star... More

Cast
Graphics
Beginning
Barbecue
Crash
Halloween
Threats
It's Over
Thanksgiving
DCFS
Vargas
Missing Vials
Recovery
Kelly
Goodbye
Eric Whaley
Not Them
Sticked
Academy Dinner
Ruined
Shooting
Tara Tanked
Justice?
Tara's File
Molly's Opening
Prison
Maternity Leave
Darden Boys
Baby Girl Casey
First Shift Back
Awkward
Debate and Missing
Derailed
Superhero
Sister
Closing House?
Recruits
Inheritance
Power Outage
Katie
Jones
Vasectomy
Stalker
Girl's Trip
Understand
Explosion
Wedding
After
Honeymoon Phase

Test

956 35 5
By Profiler2610

♣️Season 2, Episode 21♣️

"Hey, what do you think about going out in two Saturdays on one of those dinner cruises?" Matt asks Nicole as her and Gabby look at the calendar on the fridge.

"This is a disaster," Gabby sighs.

Matt looks at them, worried, "What?"

Gabby stands up from her spot sitting next to Nicole, who's feeding Ember some strawberries, "My firefighter test is on Friday, and Nicole just told me that we and Shay are scheduled for a payback shift the day before for the girl's weekend that we subbed out. I'm not gonna-I'm not gonna make it to the test."

Nicole sighs, "Gabby, I can talk to the Chief and let you leave early that day. We'll make it work."

"What if you can't?" Gabby turns to her.

"I will. Deep breath. You're gonna make it to the test. You are gonna kick the test's a-s-s," Nicole reminds her.

Gabby is confused, "Why'd you just spell ass?"

"Ass!" Ember yells.

Matt sighs, head falling forward, "Ember is in a repeating phase. Found that out when I stubbed my toe last week."

Nicole lifts Ember up so she's facing her, "Ember Hallie, no swearing. That's not a word for you."

"Ass!"

"Okay, daddy? You try?" Nicole holds Ember up to Matt.

He smiles as he moves forward to lift Ember above his head, "Baby girl, come on."

"Ass!" She yells in his face.

Gabby stifles her laugh, "Why do I feel like that's a peak into your future?"

♣️♣️♣️♣️

On shift, in the locker room, the Paramedic Trio are getting ready when Shay speaks up, "Test in five days, huh? Must have blocked it out."

Gabby tells them, "One second I feel 100% ready, and the next I'm panicking."

Shay closes her locker as Nicole laces up her boots, "Well, here's a possible solution, you could just not take it. Sorry, you know I support you. I just-what are we going to do without you? It's one thing to go a few shifts, but you're my partner. My Gabby."

"Look, you don't need me around telling you what to do. You've got Nic for that," She jokes, "And even if I do take the test, it's not like I'm gonna leave your life."

"I know that, but with the new job, the new hubbub around you becoming a firefighter, you know, the excitement, you know?" Shay says, "Meanwhile, I'll just still be here-with Nic, same old, same old."

Nicole stands up, closing her locker, "I don't like being called old, Leslie."

"Stop jinxing me, okay? I haven't passed the test yet."

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61-man injured, 4107 Logan Drive."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Arriving on scene, they see a man in a wood chipper. Boden assess.

"Hold it! You sure this thing is shut down?" He asks the boss.

"Turned off the ignition myself," He gestures to the pannel.

Boden shakes his head, "That's not good enough. Herrmann, disconnect the battery. Don't need any more surprises."

Herrmann nods, moving quickly, "Got it, Chief."

The two lieutenants talk before moving forward to try and get Ross out. Wanting to test something out, Nicole looks to her two paramedics, "Shay, you take lead on this one."

"Ross? Ross, I know that this hurts, but you're gonna have to try to stay still," Gabby takes over the comforting part of the job this time.

Ross sits up slightly before laying back down, "Just tell me-am I gonna lose my legs?"

Shay gets his attention, "Ross, Ross, we're gonna get you out, okay? We need you to take long, deep breaths."

Nicole watches as Kelly and Squad start to drill the pieces apart before looking down to Shay, "What do you think?"

"One leg's bleeding out. I'm gonna place a tourniquet, get a line in. I need Dawson to go to the ambo, hang two bags of fluid and put blood tubing on one of them," Shay orders, calmly.

Gabby and Nicole share a proud smirk as Gabby moves, "Copy that."

As the guys work on disconnecting the chipper, Nicole and Shay try to make Ross comfortable as he screams, "Fluids are good to go."

"Great, thanks," Shay tells Gabby, "Ross, you're doing great. How we doing, Kelly?"

"We're almost there," He tells her.

Nicole watches as they lift the blades up and they pull Ross back on the board before moving to load him in the ambo, "You took the lead on this one, I'll drive."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole stands with Kelly and Gabby as they watch Shay storm back in with Devon standing outside, "Do you want me to speak to Devon? I've got plenty to say," Kelly tells his roommate.

"No, I've got it," She pulls out her phone before turning and going back out.

Kelly follows Shay out as Nicole turns to Gabby, "Why would you want to leave this mess?"

Gabby laughs, "That is a great question."

Nicole jumps when Matt wraps his arms around her waist from behind, "Hey baby."

"Hi babe. You're never this cuddly at work unless you have news, so spill."

"Alright, fine," He sighs, "I ran into Tommy Welch from Austin after you guys left the wood chipper run."

"Truck Lieutenant, right?"

Matt nods, "Yeah. I guess Austin is looking for a candidate."

Gabby perks up from her spot pretending not to listen in, "Oh, yeah? What's Welch like?"

"He's a little tough."

"I can handle tough. I mean, you know who my PIC is," Gabby jokes.

Nicole shakes her head at Gabby, "First you called me old earlier, now you're comparing me Welch?"

Matt sighs, "Gabby, look, Austin got their first female firefighter last year, and she barely lasted two weeks. Filed some grievance against the guys in the house."

Gabby shrugs, "Well, we both know that there can be two sides to that story."

The Casey's share a look before nodding, "True enough."

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61- boat accident, Michigan Avenue bridge and Riverwalk."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Shay hip checks Nicole, "A little birdie told me that Casey can tie a knot in two and a half seconds. Does he use that skill often?"

Nicole smirks to herself, "That is none of your business. And it's actually closer to two seconds, he's modest."

"Alright Lieutenant Casey," Shay smiles at the Truck Lieutenant as he walks up to the duo, "Dawson and I are running a quick errand."

"Be back quick. And, hey, Shay," Nicole calls over to her, "Keep that tidbit of information to yourself."

"You got it," She smirks.

"What was that about?" Matt asks.

Nicole shrugs, "Nothing. Oh, by the way, you can tie a knot in two seconds, not two and a half."

Matt furrows his brow at her, "How did you hear about that?"

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole sits on the ground, holding her hands out to Ember as Matt stands behind the nine month old and holds her hands in his, "Come on, walk to mommy!"

Matt slowly walks with Ember over to Nicole before lifting her up before Nicole could wrap her arms around the baby, "Hi Em."

Ember giggles as Matt blows raspberries on her tummy, "Daddy!" She screeches.

"You stole my baby," Nicole pouts up at her husband.

"She's both of yours, you remember that, right?" Matt smiles, throwing Ember up in the air slightly before catching her.

"Do not drop her," Nicole warns, standing up as she tries to take Ember back.

"And up!" Matt tosses her up a little higher before flying her around and dropping her lightly on the couch, "Em, tell mommy to stop worrying."

"Give me my daughter," Nicole pushes Matt gently out of the way before picking Ember up, "Daddy shouldn't throw you up, should he? No."

Ember puts her hands on both of her moms cheeks, "Daddy!"

Nicole looks over to a smirking Matt, "Don't be so smug. I always knew I was going to have a daddy's girl when you were the only one who could get her to calm down in womb."

Matt takes Ember, both of them smiling big, "Who's my little girl? You are, yes, you are."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Next shift, Nicole is filling out paperwork for a possible replacement for Dawson when a call comes in, "Ambulance 61, person in distress- 1916 Pearl Street."

Arriving at the scene, the Paramedic Trio looks up the stairs before Nicole radios, "Dispatch, do we have an apartment number?"

"Negative, 61."

Then, a woman yells, "Up here, please!"

"Where are you, ma'am?" Shay calls back.

"Fifth floor!" 

The Trio run up five flights of stairs before finding a door open and a pregnant woman waiting for them, "My name's Nicole, this is Gabriella and Leslie. What's your name, ma'am?"

She breathes heavily, "Grace. Grace Seitzman."

"What's going on Grace?"

"It started to hurt really bad near my stomach, but it can't be contractions yet."

Nicole nods, palpitating the belly, "Okay, how pregnant are you, Grace?"

She tells them, "I'm only eight months. It's too soon for the baby to come."

"Is this your first pregnancy?"

"Yes. Oh!" She yells. 

"Okay, I know it sucks, but I need you to breathe through this for me, Grace," Nicole guides.

Shay whispers to them, "Can we get her down the stairs in the chair?"

Nicole shakes her head, "No, the stairs are too steep. Do you think you can walk?"

"No, I don't think I can."

"Grace, you're gonna have to try," Nicole tells her before Gabby and Shay both start helping her down the stairs.

A little ways down, Grace has to stop, "Oh, my God! Oh, why does it hurt like this?"

"Hang on, Grace. Strong contractions don't mean anything's wrong, they just hurt like hell," Nicole remembers her own birthing experience and contractions

"Here we go," Shay guides them down a couple more steps. 

"But it's too soon for the baby to come. Oh, oh...."

Nicole shakes her head, "Her contractions are coming pretty quick. I need to take a look to see if the baby's getting close," They gently set Grace down on the stairs, "I need you to sit down and relax."

Looking down, Nicole hears Grace yell, "Oh! The baby is not coming!" 

"Uh, the baby is coming, Grace," Nicole looks up towards Gabby, "Shay, get me a blanket, clamp and suction bulb."

Shay unzips the bag, "On it."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

"I see the baby, but it's not coming."

Shay looks down, "Let's try and get her down these stairs. Maybe we can get her to the hospital in time."

They quickly help Grace stand and start going down but she stops, "Oh, I can feel it! I can feel it! You were right! The baby's coming now!"

"Okay, let's do this here. Grace, we're lying you down," Nicole dictates. 

Shay looks to their partner, "Dawson, you got to get going."

Gabby kneels next to Nicole, "I'm not going anywhere."

"I can feel his head! Oh, he's coming out!"

"You're right, Grace. The baby's crowning," Gabby nods, helping Nicole angle Grace's body for the birth.

Nicole radios, "Dispatch, let Chicago Med know we're gonna deliver on-site and then transport."

"Copy that."

Grace screams as Shay supports her, "Okay, Grace, give it another go. Keep pushing."

She pushes, screaming, "What is happening?'

"I see the baby's head," Nicole tells her, "It's shoulder dystopia. Okay, so, Grace, the shoulder's a little stuck right about the pelvic bone."

"What does that mean? Is the baby going to be okay?"

Nicole nods, "The baby will be fine if you just keep breathing. Stay calm, I know it's hard."

Shay asks her, "Nicole, can we do a McRoberts?"

"Yeah, let's try it."

Gabby and Shay each grab a leg as Gabby explains what's happening, "Okay, Grace, we've got to get your knees as far back as possible, okay? This is gonna widen your pelvis and help the baby come out. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Ready? On three," Shay nods.

"One, two, three. Push!" Nicole yells, "Push, push, push, push. Okay, one more time. One more time, Grace. On three. One, two, three. Push! Push, push, push, push, push!" Nicole laughs, "We've got her!"

They pass the baby up to Grace as Shay says, "Congratulations, Mama."

Gabby nods as Shay gives her a look, "Yeah, I know. I'm gonna miss the test."

"Yeah," Nicole nods.

Mills runs up the stairs, gloving up, "Hey, go."

"Mills."

"Look, I'm a certified EMT. I can take over for you. Casey and the Truck are waiting downstairs. Come on."

Gabby looks to Nicole, "What are you waiting for? Get your ass in the Truck. That's an order."

She smiles at them before running down the stairs.

After dropping Grace and the baby off at the hospital, Nicole accepts a facetime from Matt as he shows Gabby gearing up and running into her test. 

♣️♣️♣️♣️

AN: Next episode is you know what and I'm not ready.

I got distracted by the Super Bowl, which is why this isn't out earlier, but the Chiefs won!

QoC: Are you ready for the pain?

Thank you for all of the votes and reads and comments!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 462 22
This is a story about two people in love Stella Kidd and Kelly Severide, two firefighters, and how time and events shape them from who they were to...
23.8K 1K 26
[ COMPLETE ] When a new paramedic joins firehouse fifty-one, replacing the beloved Peter Mills, those in the house aren't too eager to welcome her wi...
104K 1.8K 44
Lily Jacobs is the new paramedic on ambulance 61 with Leslie Shay. On Jacobs first day she catches the eye of the lieutenant Kelly Severide. The only...
11.3K 100 14
After successfully completing her training, Madison Severide gets permanently placed at Firehouse 51 where her best friend has been stationed 2 years...