Golden Age by black_blade

By baby4fangirl

Summary: After two hundred and forty years, Harry Potter thought that he'd seen it all, until he is transport... More

Chapter 1: Chapter One
Chapter 2: Chapter Two
Chapter 3: Chapter Three
Chapter 4: Chapter Four
Chapter 5: Chapter Five
Chapter 6: Chapter Six
Chapter 8: Chapter Eight
Chapter 9: Chapter Nine
Chapter 10: Chapter Ten
Chapter 11: Chapter Eleven
Chapter 12: Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13: Chapter Thirteen
Chapter 14: Chapter Fourteen
Chapter 15: Chapter Fifteen
Chapter 16: Chapter Sixteen
Chapter 17: Chapter Seventeen
Chapter 18: Chapter Eighteen
Chapter 19: Chapter Nineteen
Chapter 20: Chapter Twenty
Chapter 21: Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter 22: Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter 23: Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter 24: Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter 25: Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter 26: Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter 27: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter 28: Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter 29: Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter 30: Chapter Thirty
Chapter 31: Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter 32: Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter 33: Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter 34: Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter 35: Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter 36: Epilogue
Chapter 37: Fix up

Chapter 7: Chapter Seven

1.7K 91 7
By baby4fangirl

"What's happened this time?"

Dean Albert looked up from behind his desk and took in the image that was Harold Swift aka Harry Potter. The pain in his ass and yet the man of knowledge. The person that had saved his ass on more than one occasion and caused him more headaches than he would admit. Albert was just glad that he worked for Albus most of the time and not him. He'd even gone so far as to look up the laws in regards to a member of the Department having an incident with a time device. Harry had been correct and had followed the laws to the tee. That meant that he still worked for the department, since he already employed by them, for the amount of time that he was out of his timeline. His chosen name was registered with the department and everything else to do with the man's life before the incident was in a sealed file. In other words, Albert was suck with the man.

"Nothing," Albert answered. "I have some work for you."

"Okay," Harry said and sat down on the seat before his desk. "What do you have?"

"We need more glass containment balls for the prophecy room."

"You want glass balls," Harry remarked with a wink. "I'm sure I can supply you with some glass balls."

Albert clenched his teeth but wasn't going to bite.

"Since you have children to order around," Albert said gruffly.

"I have lackies to do my work for me," Harry said with a grin. "It's like I'm back running the Department of Mysteries."

"How is your work on the time device going?"

"Trying to get rid of me already?"

"Yes," Albert deadpanned.

Harry just laughed at his expression, "I'm no closer now than I was in my own time."

"Bugger."

xXx

"Everyone, come in and stand at a desk," Swift called out to the students in the hallway. "Today we have some work for the Department of Mysteries to conduct."

Severus followed everyone in to see large desks set up in the room with a large cauldron each and cloth bags. He frowned as he stood behind a desk and looked everything over. His first thought was that they were going to be making a potion. He glanced around to see the confusion mirrored in his fellow students.

"Does everyone know what the Department of Mysteries is?" Swift called and a few students shook their head. "It's the dumping ground for all the other Departments, Mr Potter?"

"Is it part of the Aurors?" James questioned.

"No," Swift answered as he leaned back on his desk. "We can work in tandem with the Aurors but are not part of enforcing laws. The Department deals in objects and other items that have unknown origins or dangerous inclinations." Swift shrugged. "A dumping ground, Mr Lupin?"

"Do you work for the Department of Mysteries?" Remus inquired.

"I do," Swift answered. "The man that came to escort me from the Great Hall is the Head of the Department and is also the person responsible for today's lesson."

Swift pushed off from his desk and stepped around the other side before flicking his wand. Instruction appeared on the board behind him.

"Today we'll be making up glass balls," Swift announced and a few of the boys snickered. "This is a complex spell with aspects from potions. These balls are not just for bling but will serve a purpose."

"What purpose?" James blurted out.

Swift glanced over at the Gryffindor and James shrunk back.

"There is a room in the Department that holds the essence of every true prophecy made," Swift explained as he stared at James until the boy shifted on his feet. "If your balls are good enough, Mr Potter. They will be used to hold that essence." Sirius snickered beside James. "Even with the practise that you may have already had in such...spell work. Your balls may not be up to scratch for what will be needed."

James flushed red at the words and looked down at his table as a few boys snickered.

"Follow the directions on the board and if you are having trouble then let me know," Swift instructed. "I like this classroom and I will not tolerate any damage. I'm looking at you, Mr Pettigrew. Start."

Severus read through the instructions on the board before starting. He was fascinated in the way that the task was both a potion and spell work and he wondered why it wasn't done more often. Yes, spell work was used in some potions but not in the way that this was.

He added the sand to the cauldron first until it was half full. He then added soda ash and limestone until the cauldron was full. He started the fire before casting the spell to slowly melt the mixture down. The fire wasn't hot enough alone but in combination with the spell the mixture started to melt and mix. He glanced around as Swift made his way around the classroom.

Severus watched the mixture until it was a clear bob.

"Very good," Swift said beside him. "Everyone, pay attention."

Swift pulled his wand and placed it into the cauldron and pulled a little bob of glass out.

"Caeli," Swift cast as he kept turning his wand. "Keep it moving as the air fills the space. Keep the spell steady. Too much and it will break. If you don't keep it moving then it won't be a perfect ball. You can use the table to help keep it rounded."

Swift kept turning his wand as the glass slowly filled with air. Once it was about the size of his fist; he stopped the spell. He gently placed the ball against the table and rolled it. He kept rolling it until the ball had a tail connected to the wand.

"Tenere ignotum," Swift intoned and tapped the glass.

The glass ball shone silver before going clear as the tail broke. Severus reached out and Swift waved his hand for him to touch it. Severus picked it up to see a perfect sphere with no spot from where the tail would have been. It felt oddly cold in his hand and not hot like he'd been expecting.

"Good luck," Swift advised with a smirk.

Severus placed his wand in the cauldron and picked up a bob of glass. His first attempt failed and he didn't have much luck with the next two. He felt frustrated as he glanced around then noticed that everyone else was having the same amount of trouble, even Lily. He now understood why Swift had supplied them with so many ingredients. Over the next hour they worked away with various results. Severus managed five of the spheres out of about twenty by the end of the class.

"Okay everyone," Swift called. "Leave the cauldrons as they are. Dismissed."

Everyone packed up and left as Swift stepped up to the closest cauldron and dipped his wand in. Severus paused at the door and watched in interest as Swift made a perfect glass ball. He made five more before tapping his wand to the lip of the cauldron. He walked to the next table and started over there.

"Is there something you wanted to ask, Mr Snape?" Swift questioned without looking over at him.

"How do you make them perfect every time?" Severus said as he walked over to the table.

"It's all about control," Swift answered. "I will still have to test each of these before giving them to Albert. Probably only half or less will be able to be used."

"How do you test them?"

Swift gave him a smirk and picked up one of the glass balls then dropped it. Severus instinctively tried to catch it but it hit the stones with a 'tink' and rolled away. He just stared at it before he went over and picked it up. There was no hint that the glass had been dropped. He cringed when he heard a smash as another glass ball hit the floor with differing results. He glanced over and Swift gave him an innocent look with a smile on his face. Severus's breath caught in his throat at the look on his teacher's face.

"If the spell work and potion are done correctly," Swift explained as he knocked another ball off the table and it broke. "Then it will not break until it holds a prophecy. How that happens is a complex answer."

"I think you like breaking things," Severus grumbled as another ball hit the ground.

Swift laughed at that and gave him a wink. Severus found himself smiling back as something settled between them.

xXx

"Lucius is looking forward to the Hogsmeade weekend," Narcissa announced at dinner.

"It will be good to see him again," Avery added as Severus focused on what was on his plate. "Where are you planning on meeting him?"

"Hog's head," Narcissa said mildly. "Are you coming, Severus?"

"Yes," Severus grumbled.

"Lucius is interested in meeting Professor Swift as well."

Severus felt his gut clench at the words as if they really were talking about Lucius Malfoy. The Slytherins knew that was code word for the Dark Lord. He glanced up see Swift speaking to McGonagall seated beside him. He didn't find it a coincidence that the Dark Lord would be coming to Hogsmeade on the one weekend that Swift would be supervising.

xXx

Harry looked around the village and really felt for the people that lived there. He was sure that they'd used the warning from the Headmaster wisely. Most of the students kept out of his way as they made their way up to a sugar high and, unless they were causing issues, Harry left them to it. He knew what kind of reputation he had as he gave a glare to two students when he could tell a fight was about to break out.

"Mr Lancaster," Harry's voice whipped out and the fourth year Gryffindor froze. "You pull that wand out and I'll be placing it somewhere that you will find very uncomfortable."

"Um," Lancaster stuttered and released his wand. "Sorry, sir."

"Get out of here," Harry snapped and the two boys disappeared in different directions.

"You have a way with children."

Harry turned at the voice and took in the blonde man beside him. He was in his early-twenties with tailored robes and slicked back hair. He stood a good head taller than Harry and was very familiar. Even for his young age, the man was making waves in the Ministry since he graduated roughly four years ago.

"Mr Malfoy," Harry greeted. "What brings you to this sleepy town?"

"I'm meeting my fiancé for lunch," Malfoy remarked, his eyes cold.

"Fiancé?"

"Narcissa Black," Malfoy replied.

"Ah, yes." Harry said as he glanced around. "Smart woman."

"Yes," Malfoy said slowly. "I'm sure you'll need a drink after minding all these children?"

"I'm sure you would be right," Harry said casually then spotted a girl. "Ms Hamoldton, think through your next move very carefully."

Hamoldton paused with the rock in her hand as she paled. She let the rock fall from her fingers as she glared at the girl, and her snickering friends, before her.

"Don't you sneer, Ms McGriff." Harry said, his voice cold. "Or perhaps I will look the other way next time. Ms Hamoldton, I expect something better from you being in Slytherin. Use your brain next time."

Both girls blushed and hurried off. Harry received more than a couple of glances over the students' shoulders. Any students that had gathered for the impeding fight had disappeared quickly. Malfoy chuckled coldly from beside him and Harry focused back on him.

"You have a way with children," Malfoy repeated with a smirk.

"The Headmaster would call it something else," Harry laughed and glanced around. "He'll probably regret making me supervise this lot once the complaints come in."

"Narcissa likes to talk about your classes, Professor Swift."

"Harry is fine," Harry remarked.

"How about that drink?"

Harry looked the blonde over before nodding. He was sure that he'd need a drink once he rounded up all the children and sent them up to the castle.

"I'll meet you at the Hog's Head after six then," Malfoy commented with a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "I'll be meeting some other friends as well."

"Very well," Harry agreed. "I shall see you then, Mr Malfoy."

"Lucius," Malfoy countered.

Harry gave him a nod and the blonde walked away. Harry just let his eyes drift and noticed Severus watching him from across the road. The teen had an intense look on his face and without his friends for once. Harry headed towards him and Severus leaned back on the wall behind him casually. Severus gave him a nod of greeting as Harry came to lean beside the teen and looked out over the street. The students were mostly behaving once they spotted him.

"How are you today, Mr Snape?" Harry questioned, his eyes taking in the village.

"You spoke with Lucius," Severus blurted out.

"I did," Harry agreed. "He's a man on his way up in the Ministry."

"You can't trust him."

Harry glanced at the teen beside him, "of course not."

Severus blushed and looked down at the stones before he looked back up with a stubborn look on his face. Harry was pinned by an intense stare.

"He's more than he seems," Severus whispered.

"Is that so?" Harry asked.

"He's dangerous," Severus insisted. "You don't know who he is!"

"Are you concerned about my wellbeing, Mr Snape?"

"Yes," Severus slipped then looked down at the flagstones.

"I'm touched by your concern," Harry remarked without sarcasm. "I'm sure that I can handle Mr Malfoy." Severus muttered something under his breath. "Severus?"

"It's not Malfoy," Severus said a little louder.

"Is that so," Harry muttered as he focused on two students as they hissed between each other. "Excuse me."

Harry pushed off from the wall but Severus grabbed his arm. There was in intense look to Severus's eyes as he quickly let Harry's arm go.

"Be careful," Severus warned. "You can't trust him."

Harry gave Severus a disarming smile before turning and stalking towards the two boys that had gathered his attention.

"Mr Wilson and Daniels," Harry called out, pleasantly. "What do you have there?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 5.7K 18
There was a rumor of a mysterious man that roamed the hall of hogwarts. He was too old to be a student and yet too young to be a teacher. He wore mug...
228K 10.4K 121
Regulus Black, the youngest of the two Black brothers, raised to believe in blood-supremacy and follow their parents without question. When Sirius Bl...
2.1M 64.3K 85
๐™„๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ Y/n Potter and Regulus Black form an unlikely relationship. โ‹…โ€ขโ‹…โŠฐโˆ™โˆ˜โ˜ฝเผ“โ˜พโˆ˜โˆ™โŠฑโ‹…โ€ขโ‹… Y/n Potter and Regulus Black hate each other. It's a know...
3.3M 108K 43
The year after her brother James graduates, Teddy Potter returns to Hogwarts for her final year. With the Marauders gone, it should be a quiet, peace...