Devil's Backbone โœถ Luke Caste...

Autorstwa tearsricochets

please don't take that sinner from me. percy jackson & the olympians ( the lightning thief - the last olympi... Wiฤ™cej

DEVIL'S BACKBONE
SOUNDTRACK
ONE, ONCE UPON A DREAM
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ dreamscape
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ just a girl trying to find a place in this world
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ who is percy jackson?
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฏ she's the kind of book you can't put down
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฐ the rise of a forbidden child
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฑ just pawns in a god's game
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฒ better a monster than an arrogant god
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿณ silena beauregard the love expert
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿด i'm overcome in this war of hearts
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿต it's nice to have a friend
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ the carnival of terror
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ in a world of boys he's a gentleman
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฏ an enemy of my enemy is my friend
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฐ what am i suppose to do if there's no you?
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฑ you're everything i ever wanted
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฒ you believe me like a god

๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ the ballad of a teenage tragedy

2.8K 88 16
Autorstwa tearsricochets

CHAPTER TEN.
the ballad of a teenage tragedy

NOW.

PANIC SLITHERED ITS way over Delia Cromwell's shoulders, engulfing her like an oversized blanket, and weighing her down like a heavy burden that the girl couldn't quite shake.

Percy was hurt. He had venomous poison coursing through his veins, tainting his bloodstream, and consuming his body whole, and Delia knew she only had herself to blame for all of it. Percy had thrown himself in-between her and the Chimera to protect her from a similar fate, but at great cost, the price being his own life because Percy wasn't just hurt. He was dying, and Delia didn't quite know how to stop the poison from consuming him, or prevent his death from happening in the first place. All she could do was hope and pray to the gods above that her idea would work. That Poseidon would take care of his son for once and save the boy's life.

     However, it appeared her genius idea was a complete and utter failure at best. Delia was kneeling down in wrong of Percy while Annabeth and Grover splashed the boy with excess water from a mini fountain outside the Arch. She hoped it would heal his wounds like the lake did after the last Capture the Flag game. Or at least that was what Feyre had told her had happened since Delia was stuck in the infirmary the entire time as she would've been useless in the game itself. She had to just take her sister's word for it and pray to the gods that it would work. That Poseidon was watching over his son and would use his abilities for good.

After a long couple of minutes filled with the continuous splashing of water and judgemental looks from the public eye, Percy nodded his head, looking rather fed up. "I think, I think it's working," Percy assured them, a sheepish grin ghosting across his lips.

Delia sighed in relief and tried to help the boy back to his feet, but the second he put too much pressure on his legs, they instantly gave in underneath his weight and he crashed back down to the ground. Specks of water splashed up Delia's bare arms, cooling down the warmth of her skin, but it wasn't enough to ease her fears and anxiety. The poison was moving around his body and had been for too long now. Delia wasn't sure if Percy had much time left, and if he didn't, then they couldn't save him after all. The thought was enough to speed up Delia's breathing, her panicked breaths shallow and breathy, but she couldn't let the others see how afraid she was to lose Percy. Not when they were depending on her — the healer — to find a solution.

Annabeth turned to Delia, a concerned look plastered her face. "Didn't you bring nectar and ambrosia? Surely that would work," She asked the girl, her voice beginning to shake. Delia was still looking down at Percy, another shallow breath leaving her lips before she diverted her gaze back to the girl.

"Yeah. But it was in my bag that I left on the train. I would've grabbed it if I wasn't being chased by a demigod-eating Chimera," Delia replied harshly. Annabeth was surprised by the girl's sharp tone at first, but disregarded it as nothing, knowing she must be stressed trying to think of a solution that could save Percy's life. That was when Delia frowned. "Maybe this kind of water isn't enough. Maybe we need to get him to a river where there's running water so Poseidon can heal him. It worked that way before, so maybe it will again," She explained, sounding more hopeful this time around.

     Suddenly, a series of violent sounds echoed loudly in the distance. The sound of screaming, glass shattering, metal grinding against metal, ruptured through Delia's eardrums. The girl turned around to stare into the direction of where the loud commotion was coming from only to see a car being flipped completely over. Delia flinched at the sight. Despite it happening so far away into the distance, the sight was enough to frighten the girl to her core. Especially when she noticed Echidna walking into the distance, heading towards the Arch, where they all currently stood on the outside of. Delia was sure her new monster was the one causing all the destruction from behind her.

     "We need to get back inside," Annabeth was the first to speak up, saying the words they were all thinking in that very moment. "What we're doing isn't working. And she's coming. We'll take Percy inside, and we'll go to the temple's altar," She elaborated further.

     "And how is that going to help us?" Grover asked from where he was crouched down beside Percy. He sounded just as worried and afraid as the rest of them. Maybe even more, or both Delia and Annabeth were just better at masking their indescribable fear.

     Annabeth inhaled sharply for a swift moment before she released a breath past her lips, parting them to speak shortly afterwards. "We're gonna get to the altar and we're going to ask my mom for help," She informed. Her words were enough to catch Percy's attention, lifting his gaze from where he was sitting on the ground to look back up at the girl.

     "I thought we didn't ask for help," Percy assumed, his voice low and quiet, almost strangled too, like he was struggling to speak.

     Delia looked back to Echidna was getting closer. She didn't hesitate to turn back around and help Grover get Percy back onto his feet. "Well, today we're making an exception, Sea Boy," Delia responded, and once Percy was back onto his feet, leaning half his weight onto his two friends as they began to guide him towards the entrance back into the Arch.

     However, Delia quickly got this strange that feeling they were leaving someone behind. This caused for the girl to stop in her tracks along with Percy and Grover. She then turned back around to see Annabeth had stopped, facing Echidna who was only getting closer to their exact location. "Grover, take Percy inside. We'll be right behind you," Delia instructed. Grover was hesitant to leave the two girls behind, but hurried inside with Percy. Delia then marched back over to Annabeth, grabbing the girl's hand with her own. "Annabeth, come on. Let's go," She encouraged before dragging the girl back inside.

     Once Delia and Annabeth got inside the building, they saw Grover helping Percy into one of the trams that would take them to the highest point of the Arch. Delia held onto Annabeth's hand tightly and didn't let go until they quickly slid into the tram after the boys. Once they were settled, she turned to Annabeth. "Echidna said something to you. I know because it happened to me once before. What did she say, Annabeth?" She asked the girl, urgency laced in her shaky voice, but Annabeth was silent.

All of a sudden, Delia looked away from the girl when she noticed something strange in the corner of her eye. The girl lifted her gaze, staring out of the tram just as the door was closing to see Echidna and her monster had gotten into the Arch. Delia was surprised to say the least. They were meant to be safe inside after Annabeth had already reassured them that no monster could enter Athena's sanctuary. That Athena protected anyone hoping to seek safety and refuge. But now, as Delia watched Echidna from afar, watching as she disappeared as the tram began to move upwards, she wondered how much of what Annabeth had said was actually true.

"Was that the Chimera?" Grover piped up worriedly, his panicked eyes searching for answers from someone else, hoping they could confirm his concerns. "I think that was the Chimera. How did the Chimera even get inside here?"

"Annabeth!" Percy exclaimed loudly. His loud tone was enough to snap the girl out of her dazed state. Annabeth then glanced back at the boy, the scared expression washing over her face confirming something was wrong and she knew the reason why. "What did Echidna say to you?" He questioned her.

The girl let out a quiet sigh filled with exasperation. "She said my impertinence wounded my mother's pride. And that will be my doom," She answered.

Annabeth's words were enough to make Percy furrow his brows together in response. "Impertinence? What kind of—" Percy cut himself off, realisation burning bright in his ocean blue eyes. "Medusa's head," He stated.

Annabeth shook her head. "I embarrassed my mother," She spoke, disappointed in herself.

"But I'm the one who sent the head to Olympus," Percy replied, shaking his head, struggling to comprehend the reason why Athena would punish her daughter for something he did. But Delia understood. It made her think back to Medusa and how she was punished for Poseidon's actions. Delia wasn't sure how much of that story was true at the time, but it was starting to make more sense now that Annabeth was paying the price for someone else's actions. Percy began to stammer over his words. "I signed the note—"

"And I went along with it. It embarrassed her. Now, she's angry," Annabeth interjected, cutting Percy off in the process.

Delia let out a loud huff, not seeming too happy about the news. "So, if your mom let Echidna and the Chimera into the Arch, that means she's not going to help Percy. What are we supposed to do?" Delia spoke towards Annabeth, hoping the wisest of them would have some sort of solution to escape Echidna and save Percy's life.

     When they reached the top of the Arch, the tram doors opened wide, allowing them to step out and walk up a couple of steps before they walked out to see the highest point of the Arch was crowded with people. Innocent people. Delia swallowed thickly at the sight of all the men, women, and children, knowing they were standing in the middle of a warpath. Echidna and the Chimera were on the way up and would be here at any moment. They would stop at nothing to get what they wanted, and that was all four of them to become the Chimera's first successful hunt. Echidna's didn't exactly have any morals or ethics. She would gladly allow her new pet to kill innocent civilians, and tear them apart, if it was deemed necessary.

     "What do we do?" Delia inquired, turning to Annabeth for an answer. The girls exchanged a series of worried glances before Annabeth turned around, walking over to one side of the wall before she pulled the emergency alarm.

     A loud siren sounded, followed by a series of automated instructions spoken by some sort of robotic voice through the intercoms. Delia looked around to see the innocent civilians quickly evacuating to the exit where they would be able to get back down and leave the building safely. Annabeth then made them hurry after everyone else. "You guys need to follow them down," She informed.

     Delia shot the girl a look, shaking her head. "And leave you behind? Are you crazy?" She questioned in a rhetorical manner. "No. No way. We're not leaving you behind to fight that thing alone," She added.

     "We won't make it," Annabeth argued, glancing back at the girl, their eyes meeting. "The Chimera is the demigod-killer. Someone has to stay back to slow her down and buy everyone some time," She explained, hoping to justify her reasoning behind her decision, but it didn't help Delia's conscience. The last thing she wanted was someone else risking their own life for her.

     Delia went down into the stairwell, followed by Percy and Grover. The girl then turned back around to face Annabeth, a panicked expression plastered across her face as she continued to stare back at the girl. Delia suddenly felt a weird sense of Deja Vu. She thought back to where she was a year ago when she first went up against a monster, and the people who had died to protect her from it. And now it was happening again, and Delia was goddamn terrified of the possibility of losing Annabeth. Delia knew she was eldest of the bunch by one year. She should be the one stepping in to save them. She didn't want to go back to camp and have to tell Luke his little sister was dead. And she didn't want to lose her newfound friend either.

     "Okay, help him down the stairs and get him to the river. And don't stop. Not till you get to Hades, not till you have the bolt, do you hear me?" Annabeth ordered sternly, before she made an attempt to slam the door to the stairwell shut. However, a voice quickly stopped her.

     "Wait!" Percy was quick to reach into his pocket, grabbing his pen and capping off the top before it turned into a sword. "Take this," He told her, his voice barely above a whisper. Percy then held the weapon out for Annabeth to take. Annabeth reached out to grab the handle, and when she least expected it, Percy forcefully switched places with her, shoving the girl into the stairwell while he remained at the highest point of the Arch.

     "Percy, what are you doing!?" Delia exclaimed, but before she had a chance to stop him herself, the door slammed shut, cutting them off from the boy. Delia, now standing closest to the closed door, began to slam the palm of her hands against the door. "Percy! Percy, open the door!" She called out to him, her voice cracking in the process.

     "Poseidon's never helped me before. He wasn't going to start now," Percy told her, taking deep breaths between each word that trickled past his lips. Delia listened from the other side of the door, her heart beginning to ache in her chest. Annabeth may have stood a better chance against the Chimera before losing her life. She may have even had a chance to get out of this alive. But Percy, with poison rotting him from the inside out, would not last a second. "I would've never made it to Hades. But you can."

     Delia begins to frantically shake her head. "Percy! Open the damn door! Percy, she'll kill you!" She cried, but she was met with nothing in response. Just silence and a closed door.

     Together, Annabeth and Grover managed to combine their strengths to drag a frantic Delia away from the closed door. They encouraged the girl to walk down the steps so they could get out of the Arch safely, and still let Percy's sacrifice for them mean something. Once they reached the bottom and hurried outside along with the rest of the attendees, a loud, rumbling explosion erupted from the highest point of the Arch. Delia lifted her eyes and cupped her hand over her mouth, trying her best to hold back the tears that threatened to fall because there was a high chance Percy wouldn't survive this. He was up there alone, weakened by the poison pumping through his veins, and he did all of it for Annabeth. For Grover. For her.

     And in that moment all Delia Cromwell could think about was them — her parents.

THEN.

     Delia Cromwell ventured further into the darkness of her small suburban home. Her heart hammered hard against her ribcage, her clammy hands clutching the railing of the staircase while she continued to listen to the strange noises echoing through the vacant hallways of the house. She listened as something crashed against the ground, followed by glass shattering. Then she heard a thump, and then a groan filled with pain. She heard cries that began to grow quieter and weaker as time continued to pass, and that's what scared the young twelve year old girl most of all. Not knowing what was happening and why it was happening to make such horrid sounds travel throughout her family home.

     When Delia reached the bottom of the stairs, she hesitated to move forward towards the series of strange sounds. She was terrified of what she could potentially find if she continued to move closer towards the sounds. It was in that moment she wondered if it was better to run outside and knock on one of the neighbours doors. She was curious to know if that was the better option than to search her home herself. Maybe she should leave it to the professionals. The ones qualified enough to investigate and figure out if there was actually a break-in in progress. Delia knew deep down that was the wisest option.

     However, if there was an intruder in her home, she had to make sure her parents were safe and sound first. Delia wouldn't leave them behind and risk their lives. If she left now and something bad happened to them, she would never forgive herself. She couldn't live and navigate her life without them. So Delia put one foot in front of the other and continued to follow the noises travelling through the house, echoing through the hallways and bouncing off the badly painted walls. Her heart continued to hammer hard against her chest, so hard that she could feel the throbbing in her ribcage through her eardrums, a thick lump forming in the back of her throat in the process.

     "Mom?" She called out, her voice cracking slightly. Delia swallowed the bile rising in her throat and looked down the hallway. "Dad?"

Once Delia finally got to the root of where the strange foreboding noise was coming from, she slowly turned and made her way into the living room. It was dark, her only source of light being the street light outside their home piercing through the windows, creating a dark orange hue within the four walls of the room. Delia stepped deeper inside, walking around the sofa and towards where the sound was coming from. She began to get closer, watching as the orange light dimly lit one side of her body, finally stepping into the light of where the sounds were coming. But by the time she reached the other side of the room, the soft cries had come to a sudden stop, and what she would find would be enough to make Delia regret not running when she still had the chance.

The first thing she saw was the blood. Then it was the bloodied body lying limp and lifeless at her feet. But what took her off guard was the face belonging to the corpse, her dark skin and black curls smeared and matted with the crimson colour of her own flesh and blood. Tears formed in the corners of Delia's eyes as she continued to stare at the harrowing sight in front of her. A shaky breath fell past the girl's quivering lips, a single tear rolling down her cheek as she slowly took a step back from the bloodied corpse. She knew she needed to find her father. He had to be around here somewhere. He would know what to do.

Delia made an attempt to turn around and continue searching the house for her father until he was found. But a low growl rumbling through the home was enough to stop her dead in her tracks. Delia turned back and stared off into the distance where the growl had previously come from, fear pumping harshly through her veins, and her trembling hands shaking uncontrollably at her sides. Delia leaned forward, hoping to find what had been responsible for the low growl that echoed throughout her home. And that was when she saw it. Slowly, a claw reached up and clutched the sofa, its sharp claws digging into the fabric of the cheap furniture.

And with no other choice, all Delia Cromwell could do now was run.

NOW.

     He had to be alive. Delia continued to tell herself, her own voice echoing in the back of her skull, replaying her same hopeful words like a broken record. Percy was alive. Delia repeated it in her head, reassuring herself that she would find the curly haired son of Poseidon alive and well. That maybe Echidna and her Chimera had been unsuccessful in killing him and he had fallen from the Arch after the explosion blew a whole in the highest point of the building. Delia rushed past fire engines, and innocent bystanders who were left gawking at the sight of the explosion with Annabeth and Grover trailing closely behind her. Annabeth was like her, hopeful. But Grover had his doubts and believed they should leave before they're caught off guard again.

     And maybe he was right. The quest still needed to be completed and the master bolt had to be returned to Zeus before the deadline to prevent a civil war between the gods. Even if Percy was gone, they still had to complete the quest in time to save everyone. But Delia had to be sure first. If Percy had somehow made it out of the Arch alive, she needed to know first in case they all left them behind, and Delia couldn't bear the thought of leaving a friend behind. So she continued to lead the search for the boy in hopes of spotting someone familiar, anything that resembled him. But all the group were met with was unfamiliar faces and dead ends.

Delia then walked out onto a set of docks closest to the river, her green eyes scanning all over her surroundings until she looked ahead to see a boy climbing over the railing. However, it wasn't just any boy. It was Percy Jackson. He was soaked and wet, drops of water dripping from the ends of his curly blond hair, and the ends of his clothes. The sight was enough to make Delia let out a sigh of relief. She could see not only was he safe and unharmed, but it seems Poseidon chose to save his son from the poison in his veins after all. And when Percy saw the rest of them, he shot them a sheepish grin that tugged at the corners of his lips.

"Hi," He called out to them, waving his hand before Annabeth began to march towards the boy, Grover trailing close behind her while Delia stayed frozen in place. "Look, I'm sorry about shoving you into the stairwell. Even hearing myself say that sounds really bad, but I just knew you'd never agree and there wasn't enough time—"

Percy didn't get enough time to finish what he was saying before Annabeth threw her arms around the boy and pulled him into her embrace, holding him close to her, relieved to see he was still alive after the stunt he pulled back on the Arch. Percy hugged the girl back for a short moment before he lifted his gaze to look over at Delia, who stared back at him with a mix of hurt and resentment burning bright in her eyes. Although Delia was relieved to see Percy was still alive, she couldn't help but feel anger towards him for what he had done, and how it brought her back to that night in her home a year ago. She was angry because if his own sacrifice from moments before reminded her of her previous losses, that meant her friendship with the boy was real, and that scared her most of all.

So without giving it another thought, Delia turned on her heel and stormed off into the opposite direction, leaving her friends behind. Annabeth pulled away from Percy and they all stared off into the distance where Delia was heading. Whereas Grover and Annabeth understood why Delia must have been upset, Percy knitted his brows together. "What's her problem?" He asked curiously.

Grover let out a quiet sigh, turning back around to face Percy. "It's kind of a long story, but we should keep moving," He informed.

     A hour had passed and Delia Cromwell now found herself walking up a vacant road, walking ahead of the others who had informed her that they needed to head to Santa Monica where Poseidon was willing to help them with the quest. Delia was sceptical, not knowing if she should trust a god. But it sounded better than stepping into the Underworld without the help. And to make her situation better, they all had to travel on foot due to the fact that the police were searching for them for being at the scene of an exploding train, and now an exploding monument. Delia didn't know what being a fugitive must have felt like, but she imagined it would feel like this.

     Trailing behind her was Percy, Annabeth and Grover, who talked amongst themselves for a moment before it grew quiet. All Percy could do was stare at the back of Delia's skull and ponder with this thoughts, wondering what he had done to upset the girl so much. Sure, making an attempt to sacrifice himself for his friends was a lot, but Annabeth and Grover were a lot more forgiving than Delia was. Percy just didn't understand why. "Is she going to be okay?" He questioned, sounding almost concerned.

Annabeth and Grover didn't say anything at first. Instead they just looked at one another, the pair exchanging a few sad looks. Percy picked up on this and frowned at them both. "Guys, what is it?" He pushed, knowing they knew something that he didn't.

Grover let out another sigh. "Delia...she's been through a lot," He admitted.

"Like what?" Percy interrogated further, his gaze slowly travelling to the girl walking ahead of them once again.

Annabeth pulled a face, biting down on the inside of her cheek for a moment before she parted her lips to speak. "It's not our place to say. If Delia wants to tell you, that's fine. We just can't be the ones to do it for her. But what we can say is her being as upset as she is now is valid. She went through something horrible last year before she came to camp. Everyone knows about it. I'm surprised no one said something to you sooner," She explained truthfully.

Percy didn't say anything in response. And instead he worked up the courage to race slightly ahead, slowing down again once he was walking beside Delia. It was quiet for a moment between the two until Percy made the choice to speak up. "You know, most people would be grateful if someone saved their life," He chimed, his usual lighthearted tone ringing through the girl's eardrums.

Delia let out a bitter chuckle in response to the boy's words, sparing him a quick glance. "Well, I'm not exactly grateful," She scoffed.

     "I get that you're upset with me," Percy paused for a moment, and Delia could already feel the frustration building up in her veins. It was almost like she was going to implode any second now. Maybe sooner if Percy continued to talk to her like he understood her pain because he didn't. He never would. "But I did what I did to protect you, and Annabeth, and Grover. I don't have to apologise for that. But I want to understand why you're so upset about what I did—"

     "I struggle with loss, okay?" Delia snapped at the boy, cutting his sentence short and forcing him to be silent. Delia then let out a sigh, shaking her head. "I struggle with it more when people try to sacrifice themselves for me and my safety. I went through it once and I can't stand the thought of going through it again," She admitted.

     Percy watched as Delia's forest green eyes met his for a moment, the pair exchanging a few glances, the sad look in the girl's eyes being enough to make Percy's gaze soften. "What happened last year, Delia?" Percy inquired, his kind voice being enough to make Delia finally find the will to let her guard down in front of her newfound friend. Sighing in defeat, the girl finally parted her lips to speak.

     "I guess you're going to find out eventually," Delia informed. "Medusa mentioned it. So did Grover. It's only a matter of time before you hear it from someone at camp once we're back home. I want you to hear it from me," She elaborated further, her voice beginning to shake as she thought back to that dark night. The night her life changed forever.

     Delia felt her chest tighten when she thought about what she had lost that night. She thought about the sounds that echoed through her family home. She remembered the sight of the pool of blood on the hard wooden floor, seeping into her mother's favourite rug and staining the bright colours into something sinister. She remembered the corpses of her loved ones and the monster that took their lives to begin with. The monster that almost ripped her to shreds if she hadn't been saved in time. Delia remembered the moment she woke up in the hospital with nothing more than a broken arm and a few cuts and bruises, only to be told the news that would break her heart over and over again. Even to this day, Delia could still feel that dull ache in her chest whenever she thought about them.

     "Like most demigod children, I was a troubled kid. I was constantly in and out of different schools, causing trouble, scaring the other kids whenever I saw a creature in the hallways or on the other side of the classroom," Delia admitted, a small smile ghosting across her lips. Her words were enough to make Percy crack a smile of his own, familiar with the experience of being the weird kid in various different schools. "I caused a lot of stress for my mom and stepdad, but he was more like a dad to me than anything. I called him my dad anyways," Delia recalled. Oh, how she missed them even after all this time.

     Percy continued to walk down the road beside Delia, listening as the girl continued to speak. "Last year I got kicked out of another school. I knew it upset my mom a lot so I just went straight upstairs to my room and stayed there until I fell asleep. When I woke up again, it was dark, and I heard sounds of a struggle coming from downstairs," She explained, her breath getting caught in her throat in the process. Percy noticed this and began to understand that this was not an easy story for the girl to tell, but she continued nonetheless.

     "I went downstairs to investigate and what I found was...was horrible," Delia began to stammer over her words. She did her best to hold back the tears that threatened to fall, her throat becoming tight, like someone was wrapping a thick strand of barbed wire around her neck. "There's this Ancient Greek monster. Her name was Lamia. She was very beautiful and was someone Zeus was once in love with. They even had many children together until Hera killed them all. Lamia turned into something else after that. Her madness turned her into a monster, and she dedicated her entire life to killing other children. She showed up to my house that night to kill me."

     Delia swallowed thickly. "The first thing I saw was the blood. My mom's blood. She must have thrown herself in front of Lamia and even fought her off long enough to distract her. But Lamia must have overpowered her and killed her," The girl paused again. Flashes of her mom's bloodied corpse playing through her mind like a supercut. "When Lamia realised I was in the room, I ran. I went from the living room to the kitchen, but I slipped on some glass and cut my foot. So I hid behind the counter. I was so afraid. But my dad found me and carried me outside to the car. I always assumed he must have known I was a demigod because when we drove away, he said we were heading to Long Island where I would be safe," Delia noted.

     "But Lamia was quick. She was right on our tail and caused for the car to flip over a few times. I was knocked out for a while, but when I came to, I was outside the car. I could barely move because of how much pain I was in. When I looked up..." Delia trailed off, her voice cracking in the process. Percy felt an ache in his chest when he heard the pain in the girl's voice. "...When I looked up my dad was trying to fend off Lamia, but he was a mortal. She easily overpowered him and I was forced to watch as she ripped him to shreds. I still hear his screams, even after all this time."

     Delia then nodded her head, turning to look back at Percy who didn't take his eyes off the girl, not even once. "Plenty of demigods lose their parents to the monsters, but there's a reason why my story is so famous in our world. Why everyone knows about it," She stated.

     Percy thought about it for a moment before he realised. "Back at Medusa's, she said that your dad did something for you," He pointed out, talking about Delia's birth father, Apollo.

     "Lamia should've killed me that night. She almost did. She crawled on top of me and dug her claws into my side. She was going to kill me like she killed my parents," Delia paused again, thinking back to that moment her life was spared. "But she didn't get the chance because suddenly this big bright white light appeared, and when it disappeared, so did Lamia. I didn't quite understand what it meant back then, but after I got to camp and was claimed by my dad, I realised he had saved my life."

     Delia quickly wiped away the tear threatening to fall from her eye before she sighed again. "But after that I was taken to hospital and was treated. The accident was ruled as an animal attack, then I was in a situation where I was technically an orphan. My dad's parents didn't want me because they blamed me for what happened to their son, believing that getting involved with my mom was the biggest mistake of his life. So my mom's parents took me in, but deep down I knew they wanted to get rid of me too. I think they knew who I was and who my dad really was," She admitted, the phantom pain spreading throughout her chest.

     "But for two months life was normal. I started at a new school and I met Grover, who I learned later on was sent to be my protector. I thought he was a normal kid who actually wanted to be my friend. That was until he showed up at my house one night with horns, pointy ears and goat legs, telling me my father was a god," She joked, trying to ease the sadness in the atmosphere. "I asked my grandparents if it was true and they confirmed it for me. So I packed my bag and when I stepped out that door, they told me it was better if I didn't come back ever because they didn't want me."

     It was in that moment when Percy understood now. He finally realised why she reacted the way she did back at the Arch, and now all he felt was guilt for putting her through that again. Delia scoffed again. "Being unwanted and knowing the only people who truly loved you sacrificed themselves so you could live, it hurt. It hurt so much that I didn't want to feel that kind of pain again. But then you shoved Annabeth into the stairwell and slammed the door. I thought I had lost my friend, and it scared the hell out of me, Percy." Delia was allowing her vulnerability to shine through now, her bottom lip beginning to quiver while a stray tear rolled down her cheek.

     "I had no idea," Percy spoke, a sympathetic look burning bright in his ocean blue eyes. "I'm sorry, Delia," He then apologised, sincerity laced in his voice.

     Delia glanced back at the blue-eyed boy again, wiping away her tears. "Promise me. Promise me that you won't do something like that for me again," She pleaded.

"Cross my heart and hope to die..." Percy replied and Delia shot him a look in response. Percy was quick to realise his poor choice of words, wincing in the process. "That was a bad choice of words. But you get what I mean," He quickly defended, his panicked voice being enough to make Delia crack another smile, but this one was more genuine than the others.

Percy smiled back at the girl again, and Delia couldn't help but chuckle. "I'm glad I can call you a friend, Sea Boy," She told him wholeheartedly.

Percy nodded his head, parting his lips to speak, "Likewise."

     Suddenly, the sound of a motorcycle engine revving in the distance was enough to make Delia and the others stop in their tracks, turning around to see the motorcycle riding down the road from afar. Delia and the others made the calculated decision to hide behind a roadside wall until the motorcyclist had gone passed. They couldn't complete the quest if a bystander reported their whereabouts to the police, who were currently searching for them in relation to today's incidents. Delia followed her friends and sat down behind the wall, sitting beside Grover while they waited in silence. That was until Percy turned to Annabeth, who had been acting a little strange since the Arch.

"Why are you being so weird?" Percy asked Annabeth, glancing at the girl sitting beside him.

Annabeth shot the boy a look, frowning in the process. "I'm not being weird," She denied. But Delia rolled her eyes in response. She knew well enough to know that Annabeth had seen something that had spooked her. She just didn't know what her, but she decided to stay quiet for now

"You've been weird since we left the Arch..." Percy trailed off, pausing for a moment before he let out a quiet breath. "Oh...I get it. It doesn't have to be a thing, you know. That you hugged me. I mean, we're like friends now. That seems like a thing friends do. At least I think they do," Percy continued to explain, turning to Delia and Grover, who just nodded their heads in agreement with the boy.

Sighing in defeat, Annabeth turned to the rest of them. "I saw the Fates. Back at the Arch, I saw Atropos cut a piece of thread," She informed. The girl's words were enough to make Delia swallow thickly. A run in with the Fates was practically a death sentence, knowing your fate was set in stone from that moment forward.

However, Percy didn't see it that way. He simply furrowed his brows together and stared back at Annabeth with a puzzled look in his eyes. "And that's bad?" He questioned, completely clueless.

"The Fates weave the life strand of every living thing," Grover interjected, informing Percy of the importance of seeing the Fates. "When you see a string cut—"

"What he's trying to say is that one of us is going to die. Most likely on this quest," Delia piped up, cutting straight to the chase and ripping off the bandaid. It was easier to say it now as it is instead of tiptoeing around the obvious truth — not all of them were going to make it back to camp when this was all over.

Percy and Delia exchanged a few glances before the boy shrugged his shoulders. "We're all gonna die eventually," He deadpanned. Delia couldn't help but glare at the blue-eyed boy in response. Humour might work under certain circumstances, but on a quest where their lives were at risk at every twist and turn thrown into their direction, it wasn't needed.

"She means soon. It's a warning. An omen," Annabeth retorted. And judging by the concerned expression plastered across her face, Delia knew she should be worried too.

Suddenly, just as the motorcycle was going to ride past them, the engine stopped. This caused for Delia to furrow her brows together, exchanging some looks with Grover sitting next to her. She wondered why the motorcyclist didn't just ride past them, and then she heard a male voice break through the silence. "Need some help?" He asked them. How did he even know they were hidden behind the small wall on the side of the road?

Slowly Delia and the others poked their heads up to see a bearded man. He was sitting comfortably on the saddle of his motorcycle, wearing a helmet on top of his head, and a long leather jacket over his shoulders. Grover acted as if they didn't hear him, or at least wanted the man to repeat himself to ensure they heard him right because offering his help sounded a little out of the ordinary for them. "I asked if you could use some help," The man repeated, a stern look washing over his face while he scanned his eyes over each of them.

Grover shook his head in response. "No, we're all good. Appreciate you asking, though. So long," He replied and they all hid behind the wall once again. They had hoped the man would accept their response and drive away, but he did quite the opposite.

"You don't seem too good," The man told them truthfully.

"We don't want anything from you," Annabeth called out to him, hoping it was convincing enough to make the stranger on the motorcycle leave them all alone.

"You sure?" He inquired again, and shortly after a chuckle echoed loudly through the summer air. "Because you guys are so behind schedule," He reminded them. That was all Delia and the others needed to hear to stand back up onto their feet, coming into full view as the man continued to speak. "I mean, summer solstice is just a few days away. And as much as I'd love to see a good war pop off, as your big cousin, I feel like, maybe, I wanna give you a hand."

And that was when it clicked. They weren't just talking to some stranger. Delia was actually talking to her uncle — the God of War. "Ares," Annabeth was the first to speak up, uttering the name they were all thinking of.

Ares smiled at the younger girl. "You must be Athena's kid. Always gotta be the wisest one in the bunch," He joked, earning a glare from Annabeth in return.

Delia folded her arms over her chest and looked Ares up and down. "And what are you doing out here, offering to help us? Why should be trust you?" She interrogated further. They might be family. But she didn't trust the God of War. Not one bit.

"Let me guess, based on your brutal honesty...Apollo's daughter?" Ares insinuated and Delia's silence confirmed everything he needed to know. "And to answer your question, I'm doing exactly the same thing as you. Zeus sent all of his kids out looking for the master bolt, too. Listen, dummies. I'm hungry. There's a halfway decent diner up the road. If you want my help, you'll meet me there. But don't dawdle. I won't wait forever," He explained further before he started up the engine of his motorcycle again and rode off into the distance.

"That's my cousin?" Percy asked them in surprise. "What kind of family is this?"

Delia let out a sigh and walked around the wall, reluctantly deciding they should hear Ares out, even if she didn't trust him. "I asked myself that question every day. Now, come on," She encouraged, taking off into the distance with her friends following close behind.

There was that word again. Friends. And for the first time since the accident, it felt right to call them that — Her friends.

━━━━━━━━

authors note.
So...how are we feeling about Delia's backstory? This kinda touched upon why she doesn't really surround herself with a lot of people and why Feyre encouraged Percy to try and befriend her a few chapters ago. But Percy and Delia are my fav friendship in this book honestly, and the next chapter will touch on more of Delia and Annabeth's friendship and some development there 🤭

Until then I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and I'll update again soon!!

Czytaj Dalej

To Teลผ Polubisz

78K 1.7K 55
"abandon all your stupid dreams, about the girl I could've been, my dear." LUKE CASTELLAN X OC FEMALE PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS ยฉ All Rights...
7.7K 152 14
Angela was the daughter of Poseidon, Luke was the son of Hermes, it could never work out, but they tried anyway. -Enemies to friends to lovers -it's...
65K 2.4K 49
"๐˜Œ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ข ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏฬƒ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ถ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฐ. ๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏฬƒ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆฬ๐˜ญ." *** "๐˜ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ฏ. ๐˜‹๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ...
3.6K 86 22
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief [FANFICTION] Look, I didn't want to fall in love. Being in a relationship terrified me. But that...