Embers of the Holy War

By wispylingerer

When Long Guang's family manor burned down, taking along the lives of his parents and his servants in the roa... More

The Legend of Hero Rayler
The Boy With No Memories
Through The Looking Glass
Reunion/Separation
What Makes You, You
The Fire Dragon
The Long Family and I
Finding You
Lady Luck Is Not On His Side
Arrival of the Demon King
Shattered Dreams
Hanging Onto What's Left of You
The Hero Awakens Once More
You Who Shine Brighter
Stray Dragons
Predator and Prey
The Black Lotus
Hate Me, Protect Me
Good Apple, Bad Apple
Closed Wounds
What Was Lost/What Was Found
Enshrined in Glass and Stone
The Demon King's Curse
The Pure Maiden
Fight or Flight
Two Against One
Roots That Run Deep
Jin's Vanishing Act
I Promise
What Should Not Be Seen
For The People, For The Nation
Into The Twilight Zone
The Golden-Eyed Child
Let's Play Ball!
Eyes of the Crowd
The Man Behind The Mask
Unresolved Wish
The True Culprit
Liars Be Silenced
The Dragon Tattoo
Seeking For Answers
Whodunit?
Information For A Price
The Ghost in Twilight Tower
Aegis Squad
Family In A Car

Elegy of the Fallen

7 2 0
By wispylingerer

His question was answered the moment he arrived at the church. The moment Guang saw what had become of the church, his blood turned to ice.

The holy memorial of Hero Rayler that had once stood here had been reduced to burnt, black cinders. Completely collapsed, leaving nothing of its former glory.

Guang stood there, mouth agape, as he processed what he was seeing. The burnt-down church was taped off by police officers - blue-uniformed people who were moving in and out, taking pictures and collecting evidence. There were some that were stationed around the perimeter of the police tape as well, ensuring that no civilians entered the scene.

In another corner near the church, civilians were solemnly placing flowers and gifts for the departed. Some gave silent prayers, while some were bawling their eyes out as they heaved for the lives that were lost.

It reminded Guang of a rainy night not too long ago. The Dragon Manor, consumed by fire. The worst night of his life, where he had lost everything and everyone he loved. Tears threatened to spring in his eyes. He did his best to muffle the sobs that tried to escape his throat. To think that such a tragedy would befall someone else too. How could he be the reincarnation of Hero Rayler when he couldn't even prevent a disaster that was so close to him?

The kind Sister Rachel, the innocent children who have yet to see the world...

It was cruel and unfair.

"Mr. Guang!"

Guang's head snapped up. Could that be-

Three little kids - the children from the church - were running towards him. Their clothes were scorched here and there and they were covered in soot. Nevertheless, to see those little eyes alright and running - the tears he had been holding back instantly poured down his cheeks.

In a voice warbling with emotion, Guang exclaimed tearfully, "You all!"

He got down so that he was level with them, and with no exception, embraced all of them in a big, warm hug.

"I was so, so worried about you guys," Guang sobbed. "I'm so glad to see you all safe."

The kids gave him a little smile, but that smile disappeared as quickly as it came.

"Sister Rachel..." the little girl, Wendy, started. Tears were brimming in her eyes, her lips trembling.

Jamie patted her back softly, his expression one of concern, but Guang noticed that he, too, was trying not to let his sadness show. Was Sister Rachel...

He glanced at the other kid beside him. It was David, the booger boy. Unlike the confident boy he was last time, David appeared tired. There were darkened eye bags under his eyes, appearing like he hadn't slept a wink. Wordlessly, he watched Jamie comfort Wendy. When he felt Guang's gaze on him, he only shook his head and beckoned him over.

They didn't have a particular destination in mind, no. Guang simply followed David. However, walking behind him, Guang noticed how David's gait seemed unfocused. Like he wasn't paying attention to his environment at all, his mind elsewhere.

Guang understood how he felt. He was like that too, when he had woken up in the hospital, having to process all that had happened was not a terrible dream. Which was why Guang said nothing and judged nothing.

That was, until David nearly walked face-first into a street light.

"Look out!"

Guang pulled David back right before a big bang collision occurred. David was startled, as if he didn't even realise what he was about to walk into.

"T-thanks," David muttered, somewhat ashamed. Looking around, he blanched. "Oh, we've travelled quite a distance."

Guang was not exactly familiar with Varya Town yet, the places he had been to were limited, and this was one of the many places. It was somewhere residential, both sides of the street were lined with houses big and small.

The people here seemed rather relaxed, basking in their own world. A person was seen walking their dog while jogging, while some were idly chit-chatting with each other about the weather. It was your typical peaceful neighbourhood; a completely different environment from Verdant Street.

"Did you have something you wanted to do here?"

David shook his head. "No, not exactly. I actually just wanted to get away from Jamie and Wendy for a while. I know you want to know what happened, and since you treated Sister Rachel well, I'll tell you. Just that...I don't think the others are able to relive what happened yet. So I wanted to find someplace away."

This kid was so caring of the other kids! Guang teared up at David's thoughtfulness. He patted the boy's shoulder while wiping a tear with his other hand. "Kid, you're a good chump."

David sighed, shoulders slumping. He couldn't even garner the energy to thank Guang for the compliment, the poor kid. He looked around, searching for something, and trotted behind the houses on the left.

Guang followed as well. What he found was a stream behind the houses. As it was shaded by the houses, it was nice and cool. The boy took a seat on the grass alongside the stream, and so did Guang.

The both of them watched the water flow mindlessly, letting the sound of the water's journey fill their senses. They sat in silence, waiting until David was ready to speak. A few minutes passed before David uttered quietly, "Sister Rachel died."

...

Guang raised his head to the sky above. He had expected that, considering the grief-stricken appearance of the church children. But still, to actually hear confirmation of it. He didn't voice it out loud, but some part of him had prayed for a miracle; that Rachel was alright, that Rachel was fine, but he supposed that it had been wishing for too much.

Tired eyes not leaving the stream, David hugged his knees into his chest. Guang's heart ached, wanting to hug the little kid.

Softly, David recounted the events from last night.

"After you and your brother left, Sister Rachel sent us to sleep in our own rooms. But last night, I heard someone talking in the main hall. I was a light sleeper, so I immediately woke up. It was unusual for someone to be about at this hour, so I went to check it out. I thought it might be one of the other children, but when I opened the doors to the main hall..."

David paused, and for a moment, Guang could see the haunting echo of ravenous flames reflected in his eyes.

In a horrified whisper, he continued, "It was hot. So hot. I choked on the air. The entire main hall was up in flames and I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. There was the smell of burnt meat. I saw two bodies on fire, but I couldn't tell who it was. They...weren't moving."

Guang clenched his fists. He can feel the sheer terror David must have felt. Guang knew the feeling all too well; when he saw the bodies of his parents, charred beyond recognition.

"I did the only thing I could. I called everyone else up before the flames spread to the dormitories. It was then that we realised we were missing Sister Rachel and Jason. The two bodies at the main hall...must have been them. Wendy couldn't stop crying. Jamie, he tried to get their bodies but...I stopped him. I stopped him from saving them. They could have been saved but I-"

David inhaled sharply. Guang had embraced him, patting his head and rubbing his back with solace. Without his own realising, David was crying.

It reminded Guang of the time when he had to comfort Jin when he was about to leave for the academy, and he couldn't bear parting from Guang. Jin had been crying in his own room, refusing to go out nor let anyone in except for Guang. That night, Guang had hugged and comforted Jin, just like he is doing now for David.

"You didn't do anything wrong," Guang reassuringly told him. He made sure to use the softest, gentlest tone he could muster. "You saved Jamie and Wendy. If you hadn't, you may not be able to escape alive. It was the right choice. You've done well, David."

Hearing those comforting words, more tears gushed down David's cheeks and he wailed. He threw himself onto Guang's chest, heaving and sobbing. The poor kid must have been holding it the entire time. Without his peers around, he could finally let himself cry as loudly and as ugly as he wanted.

Guang himself had to hold back his own tears to stay strong for the kid. No doubt, it was one of the most difficult trial for him. With every pitiful sound that the kid made, much like a wounded animal, Guang felt a knife was stabbed into his heart. It was cruel. No one should experience such painful events, much less a child.

"What did we ever do wrong?" David bawled. "Why did Lord Janus have to take Sister Rachel and Jason from us?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16 2 14
Protagonist: A 16-year-old girl who has lost her memory due to an accident. Her house was burned and her parents killed. But she didn't remember a...
477K 13.6K 38
Warning: There is abuse and extreme trauma in the beginning of this story. "This is the first time I've seen a human as small as you." I lightly fli...
215 2 28
Follow the adventure of an ex-university student, Rin, as he gets reincarnated as a "Spirit" with a shield being his only weapon in another world. Al...
5.4K 98 9
This story could be considered a self-insert, however it is also an OC and projection character for many others. This character is going to travel th...