Sweet Dreams (Are Made of Thi...

kellyann0007 tarafından

Edit (Eddie) Sousa didn't expect her intern year to go like this. All because she had a one night stand with... Daha Fazla

Part 1 Cast (Seasons 1-3)
Chapter One: A Hard Day's Night
Chapter Two: The First Cut is the Deepest
Chapter Three: Winning a Battle, Losing the War
Chapter Four: No Man's Land
Chapter Five: Shake Your Groove Thing
Chapter Six: If Tomorrow Never Comes
Chapter Seven: The Self-Destruct Button
Chapter Eight: Save Me
Chapter Nine: Who's Zoomin' Who
Part 1 Season 2 Announcement
Chapter Ten: Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
Chapter Eleven: Enough, Is Enough
Chapter Twelve: Make Me Loose Control
Chapter Thirteen: Deny, Deny, Deny
Chapter Fourteen: Bring the Pain
Chapter Fifteen: Into You Like a Train
Chapter Sixteen: Something to Talk About
Chapter Seventeen: Let It Be
Chapter Eighteen: Thanks for the Memories
Chapter Nineteen: Much to Much
Chapter Twenty: Owner of a Lonely Hart
Poll
Chapter Twenty-One: Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Chapter Twenty-Two: Begin the Begin
Chapter Twenty-Three: Tell Me Sweet Little Lies
Chapter Twenty-Four: Break on Through
Chapter Twenty-Five: It's the End of the World
Chapter Twenty-Six: As We Know It
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Yesterday
Chapter Twenty-Eight: What Have I Done to Deserve This?
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole
Chapter Thirty: Superstition
Chapter Thirty-One: The Name of the Game
Chapter Thirty-Two: Blues for Sister Someone
Chapter Thirty-Three: Damage Case
Chapter Thirty-Four: 17 Seconds
Chapter Thirty-Five: Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response
Chapter Thirty-Six: Losing My Religion
Part 1 Season 3 Announcement
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Time Has Come Today
Chapter Thirty-Eight: I Am a Tree
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Sometimes a Fantasy
Chapter Forty: What I Am
Poll 2
Chapter Forty-Two: Let the Angels Commit
Chapter Forty-Three: Where the Boys Are
Chapter Forty-Four: Staring at the Sun
Chapter Forty-Five: From a Whisper to a Scream
Need Suggestions
Chapter Forty-Six: Don't Stand So Close to Me
Chapter Forty-Seven: Six Days Part 1
Chapter Forty-Eight: Six Days Part 2
Chapter Forty-Nine: Great Expectations
Chapter Fifty: Wishin' and Hopin'
Chapter Fifty-One: Walk on Water
Chapter Fifty-Two: Drowning on Dry Land

Chapter Forty-One: Oh, the Guilt

3.6K 187 34
kellyann0007 tarafından

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

AN: Welcome to another chapter of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This). I hope you enjoy this chapter!  I am so glad that you like my Callie and Conrad twist! Because Mark is with Eddie, I needed someone to take his place-so I thought Conrad was a good twist from about chapter 5 or 6.

Sorry for being MIA for a while, work was super busy these past few weeks and I had a trip last weekend and I didn't have my computer with me. that left me no time to finish up the chapter and update, so hopefully this makes up for it. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

First, do no harm. As doctors, we pledge to live by this oath. But harm happens and then guilt happens. And there is no oath for how to deal with that.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Mark Sloan was trying to be romantic, and make Eddie some breakfast, to celebrate the fact it was her first day back at work (with strict orders to take it very much easy). While he was also taking care of their daughter. Mark was wearing Frankie in her carrier as he made Eddie's favorite breakfast, French Toast.

"Okay Frankie Girl, next we put the bread into the egg mixture." Mark explained the step-by-step process of how to make French Toast. He agreed with Eddie that Frankie was a little sponge and was learning every day and they tended to talk her through everything they did.

"After putting it in the egg mixture, we put it in the pan." Mark explained the next part.

"Mark?" Eddie called, she had woken up to the smell of cinnamon and sugar, with Mark not at her side.

"Stay in there sweetheart!" Mark called as he checked on the piece of French toast that had just finished.

"Okay?" Eddie called back, sounding a bit confused.

About five minutes later, Mark came strolling into Eddie's bedroom, with Frankie still strapped to his chest and carrying two plates. 

"You made me French Toast?" Eddie asked happily.

Not surprised. While Mark was the biggest teddy bear once you got to know him. She knew from stories Derek, Alec, and Addison told her about Mark's distrust of interns and residents still early into their residency, but also from her friends who worked under him.

According to Meredith, he treated them respectfully and didn't have them being glorified errand boys/girls unlike some of their fellow interns and residents. Eddie wondered if he did that for her or if it was because he knew and trusted them if Eddie did.

Eddie and Mark had discussed how they would treat their relationship in the hospital and talked to Richard Webber about the fact they were together, he told them he would be watching for favoritism, but he didn't think anything like that would happen, since Eddie didn't use favoritism to her advantage, to get onto cases with her brothers or Addison, she worked hard and she wanted people to know she got there for herself and not for who she spent her time with or whom she was related to.

And, while Mark would do anything for those he cared about, he believed in hard work. It might surprise people, but Mark was extremely smart, he had always beaten Derek on any test they took, even the MCAT. But, because he chose a "soft" specialty and Derek had chose neurosurgery, people tended to view him as less than. 

He expected hard work and dedication form those around him as well.

"Yep," Mark said as he leaned down and pressed a kiss to her lips.

"And Frankie helped it seems," Eddie said with a smile.

"Yeah, and she is getting a bit fussy, I think she will want to be fed soon." Mark explained.

"Hand over the baby Sloan." Eddie ordered playfully as Mark skillfully, unwrapped Frankie and handed her over to her mother.

"I'll go get our drinks be right back." Mark said, as he left as Eddie situated herself and Frankie, so they could both be comfortable while they ate.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In Meredith's kitchen, Izzie had been cooking up a storm, ever since listening to Denny's voice mail, a few days ago, she seemed to be better, but she still hadn't been able to walk into Seattle Grace and talk to Richard. Instead, she spent all the time in the kitchen.

"Good morning!" Izzie greeted her two roommates.

"I thought we were done with the whole muffin thing." George commented about the spread of food in the kitchen.

"This isn't muffins, it's breakfast. Mer needs a good, solid breakfast. First day back after the big surgery." Izzie informed him seriously.

"Are you okay?"

"Of course I'm okay... I'm a millionaire. Fruit? What do you guys think about B&Bs? I'm thinking about opening B&B in Vermont where the foliage is, you know?" Izzie rambled.

She had never had this much money. And, she didn't know what she was going to do with it. All she knew was that she would prefer having Denny instead of money.

"Maybe you should go back to bed." George suggested.

"Can't. I'm going to the hospital." Izzie informed him.

"Are you going to talk to the chief?" Meredith asked, hopeful that Izzie would return.

Though, there was a part of Meredith that believed Eddie was right, that Izzie could have cost them their careers as well as the hospital, and didn't know if she should return.

"Nope. I'm going to clean out my locker. I could buy a hotel. How much do you think a hotel costs?" Izzie asked as she poured orange juice, spilling it all over her 8.7 million dollar check.

"That's eight million... eight million dollars does not like to have juice spilled on it." George stuttered as he saved the check.

"You have to take that to the bank today. It's making me nervous in the house." Meredith stated.

"I will. Just as soon as I clean out my locker. I'm fine. Really I'm fine. Denny loved me. He wanted me to have this money. He wants me to be happy. So I'm happy. Juice?" Izzie asked.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie was in the locker room, sitting on the bench with her immobile leg rested on the bench, while she watched her friends getting ready.

"She's losing it. She almost battered and deep fried an 8 million dollar check this morning." Meredith said.

"She is stupid not to get it into a bank account to collect interest." Eddie muttered, knowing full well that the blonde could hear her.

"Says the rich girl." Cristina added.

Like Cristina had room to talk, she had grown up in Beverly Hills.

"Pot meet kettle." Eddie said.

Eddie, actually thought it was wrong for Izzie to get anything from Denny. She was only covering for Izzie because her friends begged her to. But, if it wasn't for the fact their entire careers and the hospitals credibility was on the line, she would rat Izzie out in a heartbeat.

She stole an organ.

And, her actions killed someone.

She also didn't understand why her friends wanted her back at work so badly. Izzie would have been fired, or worse. Her quitting and retiring to some far flung place would be the best for her and them. But, they were trying.

She supposed it was because they were friends, and they all felt responsible. But, Eddie thought the sooner Izzie was gone, the better, but didn't dare voice those concerns to anyone but Mark, Conrad, and Alec.

"That kind of money, I'd buy my own hospital and stock it full of sick people. Vavuloplasties and ruptured aneurisms. Hmm." Cristina said.

"You are a psycho, you know that, right?" George said.

"Okay, I'm not the one with an 8 1/2 million dollar check I won't cash." Cristina retorted.

"Stop talking about me. I'm fine. I'm cleaning out my locker and I'm going home. Mer is the one with the problems." Izzie snapped from the other side of the locker bay.

" What's wrong with me?" Meredith asked confused.

"Well you haven't told McDreamy that you dumped McVet." Izzie reminded her.

"You haven't done that yet?" Cristina asked shocked.

"Dude, tell him already." Alex said.

"She's scared." George stated.

"I am not scared. Derek walked away. He walked away. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe he's happy. He's got Addison here. He's got Mark here. He's got a lot to deal with. And I'm not going to make him feel guilty. I'm being an adult here, and I am not going to drag him into our whole... Izzie is the one with the big check!" Meredith cried.

"I'm fine." Izzie snapped.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Guilt never goes anywhere on its own, it brings its friends - doubt and insecurity.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In Callie's hotel room, she and Conrad were lying in bed once again. A few days ago, when Callie suggested she and Conrad share a drink at her place, the two had somehow fallen into a friends-with-benefits relationship. The nights they have been sharing were great, amazing, but both of them had agreed when they started this, that was no strings, no feelings, just fun. They were going to remain friends and co-workers, nothing more. And, they were both okay with that.

Callie, despite how much she hated it, was still in love with George. While, Conrad wasn't looking for anything too serious. He knew, and didn't mind. He had been so focused on his career for so long, it was nice to sort of dip his toes in getting back out there.

They were adults and if they wanted to blow off steam with a trusted friend. Then what was the harm?

Plus, Callie was one of his good friends. And, after a few mind-blowing rounds, that remained the same.

Callie's phone rang once again, as Conrad called down to room service to get them breakfast. Conrad hung up after finishing it, and looked at Callie who was glaring down at her phone.

"Is that George again?" Conrad asked Callie, who let out an annoyed huff.

It had been easy to avoid George when Callie had back-to-back days off and George was stuck working a shift and then an on-call shift. He had been calling non-stop, whenever he could, but Callie didn't answer. Instead, she filled her time with hanging out with Conrad, Alec, Bailey (when she was free), and Rory.

She felt like she was using Conrad a bit, trying to get over George, but the young attending didn't seem to mind, and let Callie have her wicked way with him. She, also made it a personal goal (along with Rory) to find a woman good enough for the blonde attending.

"Yes." Callie said, trying to shrug it off, "But, I'm over him."

"Then why the guilty face?" Conrad asked curiously.

"You were sexier when you weren't talking." Callie muttered, hitting him with a pillow, as Conrad laughed.

"Oh thanks Cal." Conrad said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bailey approached her interns in her typical Bailey manor, sending a quick smile at Eddie, glad to see the young intern back, even if on crutches for the next few weeks, and out of the OR until then. She had missed the young girl.

"Am I keeping you O'Malley? M&M ten in minutes, people." Bailey informed her interns.

"Wait, wait, wait. We get to go to M&M?" Alex asked shocked, he thought only second year residents and above got to go to those, while they worked the Pit or ran labs.

"Even if we haven't finished our rounds?" George asked.

"Even if. I want all of you at the M&M today." Bailey said.

" Yes!" Alex cheered.

"People die in this hospital. Once a month we gather to discuss how our actions as physicians contributed to the deaths. This is a serious exercise." Bailey informed them seriously, the only one who wasn't acting like it was a spectator sport was Eddie, who nodded seriously.

"Dr. Bailey." A voice greeted, and Bailey turned to smile at a young couple.

"George, Eddie, Alex, you get good seats. Mer and I will get snacks." Cristina said.

"Yeah." George agreed.

"Mr. and Mrs. Nyles." Bailey greeted the couple.

"We kind of got turned around on our way to admitting." Mr. Nyles explained.

"Oh, not a problem. Dr. Karev, Dr. Sousa, uh, Mrs. Nyles is scheduled for a mastectomy tomorrow. Why don't you show her and her husband up to the fifth floor. Is this the little man? He's adorable." Bailey said as she looked at the sweet little boy Mr. Nyles was carrying.

"He's not so adorable at four in the morning and won't take a bottle. Can we just get to the room?" Mrs. Nyles, Anna, said as she walked off.

"It's been a rough week. She had to stop nursing. Gus here just won't eat." Mr. Nyles explained to Bailey his wife's attitude.

"Why don't I take you up?" Bailey said as she grabbed the baby, " You can try a little sugar water on the bottle just until he gets used to it."

Bailey and Mr. Nyles left leaving the interns alone.

"Does that woman have breast cancer? What is she, thirty years old?" Meredith asked shocked.

"New baby. She probably thought the lump was a milk duct." Eddie explained.

"You learn things on the vagina squad." Alex chimed in.

"Focus, people. M&M. Insults flying, residents covering their asses. Our bosses getting kicked in the teeth instead of us. Seats. Snacks." Cristina ordered

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Cristina found Burke outside of the room where the M&M was to be held.

"Hey, I didn't know you were coming to the M&M." Cristina said.

"You brought snacks?" Burke asked as he looked at the snacks his girlfriend was carrying in her arms.

"Yeah. You okay?" Cristina asked him, he seemed off.

"Fine." was Burke's response.

"No surgeries today, right? I mean I'm ready if you need..." Cristina started lowly.

"No. No surgeries." Burke denied.

Nearby, George found Callie, whom had been ignoring him for the past few days, and unlike usual, she didn't look happy to see him. Hopefully, he could convince her to at least talk to him.

"Callie. Hey...did you get my message? Messages." George asked her.

"Yeah. I gotta get a seat." Callie said as she started to head into the M&M.

"Alex and Eddie are saving us a bunch if you want to sit with us." George offered her.

"No." Callie said as she left and made her way to where Conrad, Alec, and Rory were sitting.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"You okay?" Rory asked her friend as she sat down next to her.

"Yeah, just George trying to apologize." Callie muttered darkly.

Rory sighed as she looked over at the male intern who watched her with an unreadable expression.

She liked George professionally, he was a kind and caring doctor. But, he was not the best boyfriend and her best friend deserved better. Callie was such a loving person, and she hated that George was taking advantage of that.

And, she promised she would make George's life a bit more difficult in the future because of this.

"Ignore him Cal," Conrad said from the other side of Alec. "He can stew in his misery for a while."

Callie smiled. She was glad she had found great friends in them, Bailey, Eddie, and even Mark, who had come out with Alec a few times for drinks with them since he started.

Maybe, despite how it broke her heart, she didn't need George O'Malley. But, she knew that saying she was done and being done were two different things and harder than it sounded.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"She's trying to make me feel guilty about the other night with Izzie." George stated annoyed.

"Maybe because you've been blowing her off, and treat her like she is your second choice." Eddie said, but George shrugged that off.

"I thought you said you apologized." Meredith stated.

Though, she agreed with Eddie. While Izzie was a friend, and she was going through a hard time, didn't mean that George had to blow off Callie.

"I did. I have. I'm done. I am not apologizing any more. I'm enjoying life. I'm loving the M&M." George said.

"Okay, people. Let's begin. Patient #34986 died last month from complications following a heart transplant. Dr. Burke will present." Webber started.

All the interns froze.

They knew that number.

"Hey guys..." Eddie started.

"Isn't patient #34986..." Alex added.

"Denny..." Meredith finished.

"Eight million. Eight million could get us on a plane to somewhere far, far away." Cristina muttered.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In the intern locker room Izzie is cleaning out her locker. She takes out her stethoscope and listens to her heart.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Burke stood at the podium as he explained what exactly happened to Denny.

"Cause of death was an embolus that dislodged from the suture line and caused a CVA with brain stem herniation." Burke informed the crowd as people raised their hands with questions.

"So the company line is he died from a CVA?" A doctor asked him.

"There is no company line. That's how he died." Burke stated sternly.

"Let's get back to this patient's need for emergent transplant. You're saying the patient's left ventricle had been weakened by the LVAD malfunction?" Another doctor asked.

"His left ventricle was weakened by the fact that he had congestive heart failure." Burke corrected.

"Come on. Dr. Burke. We all know the LVAD was cut by an intern." Dr. Savoy, a rather unpleasant attending stated.

"The events remain unclear." Burke stated.

"I'm going to my happy place..." George muttered to his friends.

"It's unclear to you 'cause you were in the ER with a gun wound. Why aren't we hearing from Dr. Bailey? She was the senior physician on the case." Dr. Savoy challenged.

"I'm the attending on record." Burke snapped, wanting to protect Bailey.

"Yes, I was the resident in charge." Bailey said as she stood up. "Dr. Burke has summarized the medical facts of this case. Are there any questions for me?"

Everyone raises their hands.

"You recently had a baby, Dr. Bailey?" Dr. Savoy asked.

Dr. Savoy wasn't married nor had children and didn't plan to. They made you weak.

"I don't see what that has to do with..." Bailey started.

"Sleep deprivation coupled with wild swings in hormone levels are factors that could cloud anyone's judgement." Dr. Savoy listed.

"I sleep just fine, Dr. Savoy." Bailey replied.

" Really? Cause if a patient died due to my poor decision making, I'd lose a little sleep over it." Dr. Savoy replied.

"Let me remind everyone that our purpose here is not to place blame. This is a forum to discuss mistakes in patient care and learn from them." Webber reminded them.

"Well so far I haven't heard Dr. Bailey admit to a mistake." Dr. Savoy retorted.

"Why don't they just put a bullet in the back of her head?" Cristina muttered.

"It would be more humane." Eddie agreed, feeling horrible for her resident. She did not cause this.

And, she hated that she felt like she did.

Izzie Stevens, in Eddie's opinion was the only one to blame. She fell in love with a patient, she cut the LVAD wires, and he died. His death was on her hands, and while she would keep her mouth shut for the sake of Bailey and her friends, and the hospital that she had grown to love, it did not mean she would ever trust Isobel Stevens again, even if she somehow got her job back.

"So for a period of several hours, your interns were running amuck in the hosptal totally unsupervised." Dr. Savoy asked.

Not true.

Eddie had been with Conrad.

Alex had been with Burke.

Meredith had been working with Callie.

Cristina had been working with various doctors, mostly Rory, before she was put in charge of Trauma 2.

George had been working in the Pit.

Izzie was the only one left unsupervised.

"I'm waiting for a question." Bailey replied, cooly, but with annoyance.

"The question is where were you?" Dr. Savoy asked.

"There was the shooting, and the ER was chaotic." Bailey reminded him, he had not been working that day.

"The ER is always chaotic. Did you page them during this time?" Dr. Savoy pressed.

"He's asking for trouble," Eddie muttered. "If Bailey doesn't knock him down a peg or twenty, I will."

"Yes, I paged them several times." Bailey said, except for Eddie, whom she knew was working and later shot that night.

She would never forget finding her friend and intern, shot in the leg, trying to save the life of their attending.

"So apparently, they thought it was okay to ignore your pages. Doctor why do you think your interns have so much contempt for your authority?" Dr. Savoy pushed.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about!" Alex yelled, as he stood up.

No one talked about Miranda Bailey that way. Ever.

She was the hardest working doctor here, and she deserved all the respect in the world. He may be an ass, but he wasn't as misogynistic as he pretended to be, he respected his fellow female interns (except Yang, just on principle) and Bailey. And, he didn't stand for men, like Dr. Savoy who insinuated that women weren't as good of doctors.

Hell, Bailey, Rory, and Eddie were some of the best doctors in this damn hospital. And, they deserved the respect, not questioned about their priorities because they had children.

 It wasn't Bailey's fault they did this. She had been doing her job, while Izzie took the lead in doing something stupid.

He may not always agree with Bailey, but Alex sure as hell respected her, and this man had hit his final nerve. Bailey deserved respect and he was willing to teach this asshole that.

"Dr. Karev, sit down." Bailey said as he sat down, and when he did, George noticed Izzie standing there, looking grief stricken.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

'Izzie..." George said.

"Next question." Bailey said as it resumed.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

At the mediators office, Derek and Addison were finalizing their divorce. The guilt of the truth that Addison had been keeping from him gnawed at her, but she didn't dare say it. Not when they could split amicably.

He would never need to know.

Nicholas was back in New York and Derek would never talk to him again. So, he would never tell him.

While, she could live with the guilt.

Not because of what she wanted from the divorce, but, because she couldn't stand Derek hating her anymore than he did at the moment.

He had been one of her best friends for years. The love of her life.

The looks he gave her when she first came to Seattle nearly killed her. She didn't want to go through that again.

So, she would punish herself forever with this secret.

"Derek says that neither of you brought your assets into the marriage." The mediator stated.

"Well I had my trust fund. And a sparkling personality. And the futon couch." Addison informed him.

"Yes, Addison had a very ugly, very heavy futon couch." Derek agreed, he had hated the futon couch. And, when they officially moved in together he was happy that it didn't come with her to his apartment.

"What happened to that couch?" Addison asked.

" We gave it to Mark. He sold it years ago." Derek reminded her. 

Mark had used it in his spare bedroom/office space for a few years while they were starting out in their residency. He had sold it to some resident of his whom he actually liked, who was down on their luck for dirt cheap just so they could at least have a bed.

"Oh right." Addison said remembering Mark's selfless moment that were few and far between if you didn't know him personally, you would think was out of character.

"Okay so that's settled. What else?" Derek asked him.

"Aside from Addison's trust fund which will remain in her name, we'll spilt everything, stocks, bonds, 401K's down the middle. The only thing that gets complicated is the real estate." The mediator explained.

"Well let me make this simple. I'd like to keep my trailor and the land in Seattle. Addison can have the rest." Derek said, feeling bad about causing the divorce by sleeping with Meredith, this was the least he could do.

"Hold on..." Addison started.

"That's the house in the Hamptons and the Brownstone overlooking central park. That's very generous of you." The mediator said impressed.

"Hold on. He's up to something. I came here to fight over CD's and books. Go to war over a crystal vase. What are you up to Derek." Addison asked as she looked over him critically.

"The divorce is my fault, let me take responsibility." Derek said.

"We both had affairs." Addison reminded him.

"You had a one night stand with Nicholas." Derek reminded her, while he fell in love with Meredith. 

"Actually, it was..." Addison started.

"Okay it was two nights. You made a mistake. Meredith and i, we had a relationship. Make these changes. I'll sign them today." Derek stated, not bothering to let Addison finish.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The M&M had finished after Richard stopped, Dr. Savoy's attempt to rake Bailey over the coals, and the interns found themself huddled together talking to Izzie who seemed frozen in grief.

"You weren't supposed to be in here Izzie." Meredith reminded her friend.

Technically, Izzie didn't work in the hospital and didn't belong anywhere except were guest or patients could go.

"You shouldn't have had to see that." George said.

"No. It's fine. I'm fine. Clearly the doctor thing wasn't working for me. So go about your business. Run labs. Cure cancer. I'm fine." Izzie said with a tight smile and a shrug.

Eddie wanted to agree with her. Izzie didn't belong here.

"You're not going home. Either you hang out with us or we'll call your mother." George said.

Oh the mother threat. That was big. Izzie and her mom, while not on the best of terms, was the one weapon you'd pull out in case of last resort scenario, and this counted, in George's opinion.

"She's just a few hours away, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind coming and staying with you. All day." Meredith reminded her.

"You wouldn't." Izzie said as George started to dial the number.

"Dialing."

"Woah! Hey, hey! Okay. I'll just... go hang out in the locker room." Izzie said as she left the room to head back to the intern locker room.

" What is she doing here? She has no business in this room." Webber informed his interns as he watched Izzie leave.

"What are you looking at me for? I didn't have anything to do with this. I didn't have anything to do with any of this." Alex stated.

"She is here to clean out her locker sir." Eddie said respectfully, and Richard nodded.

"I'll stay with her today if that's okay. I''ll update charts an I'll run labs and keep an eye on her, if that's okay. She shouldn't be alone." George offered.

"Fine." Webber grumbled.

"Dr. Bailey..." George said as she approached them.

"We just want to say.." Meredith started.

"We're sorry..." Cristina said.

"About the M&M." Meredith continued.

"No. You do not get to apologize to me for this. You do not get to feel better. Neither do I. The only one with a clean conscious is Sousa. Get to work. O'Malley just keep an eye on her." Bailey ordered her interns, who all nodded.

"Yes Dr. Bailey." They muttered.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

At the elevator, Bailey had the unfortunate pleasure of running into Dr. Savoy. She had to resist the urge to throttle the man in front of her as she waited for the slowest elevator of all times.

"Dr. Bailey, you understand it's nothing personal." Dr. Savoy stated.

"People talking about your hormone levels, starts to feel personal." Bailey commented.

"Hey. Dr. Bailey. Looks like you're the baby whisperer. Gus drank the whole bottle. Do you want to hold him?" Mr. Nyles asked as he saw the familiar face of his wife's doctor.

"Actually now isn't a good time. I'm about to go get your wife's labs." Bailey informed him, though she was itching to hold the baby, she was going to prove to Dr. Savoy she hadn't gone soft.

"Do you think you could talk to her? She's freaking out. She's not too sure about the mastectomy, she's thinking maybe a lumpectomy. I know she likes you. Maybe you could talk her into..." Mr. Nyles started.

"No it's not my job to talk her into anything. Maybe if she knew more about her reconstructive options. I'll send our plastic surgeon up." Bailey promised.

Mark Sloan may be as ass (to everyone but her and Eddie's close friends) but he was a talented ass, and Mrs. Nyles deserved the best, and that was Mark Sloan.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"So, I am on your service today." Eddie said amused as she looked at her eldest brother as she joined him.

She had thought Conrad was joking that Alec would try to steal her away from Addison, who had been her longest running mentor at Seattle Grace.

"Yes you are, Ed." Alec agreed. "I won the coin toss with Addison last night. Let's just say she isn't pleased she lost."

Eddie snorted.

"A coin toss?" Eddie asked amused. That is how they settled their differences. 

Though, to be fair, she and Eli did rock, paper, scissors to settle theirs. So, coin tosses maybe a bit less ridiculous. 

"Yes." Alec said, "it is one of the most civilized ways to do things. I think Addison would have thrown one of her very pointed Louis Vuitton heels at me to win having you today otherwise, she has scary good accuracy with those."

"Speaking from experience?" Eddie asked curiously, interested in hearing about his early start as a doctor.

They both had missed so much out of each other's lives.

"Sort of. She threw them at Mark and Derek a few times when they truly pissed her off." Alec said, "I was her golden pupil, I never got shoes thrown at me, maybe the occasional scathing remark when I pissed her off, but not enough to get one thrown at me or even thought to be thrown at me, at least until you came up."

Eddie blushed slightly at the praise. 

"I am sure I am not that worthy." Eddie commented.

"Oh, trust me from what I have heard and seen, you totally are." Alec promised his sister.

"You're my brother, you're supposed to think that." Eddie said.

"I may be your brother, and adore you and think you are one of the most amazing people, and my favorite sister, and sibling most days. But, as a doctor, just looking at your track record, it speaks for itself, you're the one to beat, Ed, you're going to be one of the greats." Alec told his sister sincerely.

Eddie smiled slightly.

"You are one of the greats, Alec. I can't wait to learn from you." Eddie said, as Alec grinned.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Quite morning isn't it?" Webber said as he joined Burke in one of the hallways outside the conference room where they held the M&M.

"It was. It's always important to be reminded how important it is to be on top of your game. That's what I wanted to talk to you about..." Burke started, but Webber interrupted him.

"I am so glad you are back in this building. Look, I need your help focusing the staff. They respond to you as an authority figure. You're an example of what they should be. Glad to have you back Preston." Webber said sincerely.

"Thank you Chief." Burke said, touched, but felt a knot form in the pit of his stomach at the lie he was keeping.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Meredith and Derek thought they were safe from running into each other on the staircase, but it seemed like fate had another thing in mind.

"You're back." Derek stated, happy to see her back.

"I am." Meredith agreed.

"You look...good without an appendix. It suits you." Derek said awkwardly.

"How are you?" Meredith asked him.

"Fine. How are you?" Derek asked concerned.

"I'm great." Meredith said, physically. Emotionally, she was distraught. She had chosen Derek, but he walked away.

"Feeling well? No pain?" Derek asked.

"No pain." Meredith said as her pager went off.

"That's your wife. I'm on her service." Meredith informed him.

"Okay then. I won't stand in your way." Derek said with a soft sigh, wanting nothing more than to bring her into his arms and kiss her.

"Okay." Meredith said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Hi I was paged by Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd." Meredith said, as she approached a nurse.

"Dr. Grey. Welcome back." Addison said, she was standing with Alec Quinn and Eddie, who was on his service.

"Thank you." Meredith said.

"And, uh...it's just Montgomery now." Addison added awkwardly.

"What?" Meredith asked confused.

"My name. The divorce was finalized this morning. So...Montgomery. To add to our fun, we've been asked to consult on a woman who has a foreign object stuck inside of her. Ahem."  Addison started awkwardly and motioned to a couple joined together....romantically to say the least.

"I've got to say, I've never seen this before." Alec commented as he looked over their charts.

Addison had offered him a chance to work on this with her, she had missed working with her former intern, friend, and protégé.  And, until now hadn't had a chance, and it also allowed for her to work with Eddie as well.

Eddie and Meredith shared an awkward look. Neither could imagine being in their position. Meredith had once "broken" her one-night stand's penis. And, she nearly died from mortification. Eddie, she preferred not to talk about her private life, some things were meant to be private, though she sometimes shared with her persons (Meredith, Cristina, and Eli).

"Adam, Ow. It hurts whenever you move." The woman, Sonya, said.

"Well then keep your weight off my bad knee." The man, Adam said.

"Sorry, I thought it was on the left side." Sonya apologized.

"You think after nineteen years of marriage you'd have that one down." Adam complained.

"It appears that her husband is the foreign object." Alec commented.

"Ex-husband." The couple said together.

"So you go and get a piercing." Sonya said annoyed.

"Sonya." Adam said, clearly embarrassed.

"What. It's not like they're not going to find out." Sonya complained, knowing they would see it eventually.

"It's so embarrassing..." Adam complained.

"No. What's embarrassing is meeting your husband for lunch with your ex-husband still attatched. How long is this going to take, 'cause I really don't want my husband finding out. Could you work out some small miracle?" Sonya asked them.

Oh boy.

Eddie and Meredith shared a look, they were so going to tell Cristina and Alex about this. They both liked seeing strange cases.

Cristina was working with Burke, though she was just checking on his patients, while Alex was on Mark's service today. 

"First of all, we have to figure out what the piercing is caught on." Alec explained.

"Okay." Sonya said with a nod.

"Do you have any piercings?" Addison asked the woman.

"Me?" Sonya asked scandalized, at the very thought. "No. I sell real estate."

"What's that supposed to mean? I sell real estate, too." Adam said.

"We've been divorced for five years. We keep running in to each other. You know, work stuff. We get together sometimes. It's stupid and weak. And it is never happening again." Sonya informed the doctors.

"Well Dr. Grey and Dr. Sousa are going to check on the x-rays and we'll take it from there. Okay? But... you might want to cancel your lunch plans." Addison informed the ex-couple.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Cristina entered the conference room that Burke had taken over for the moment.

"Hey. That M&M was..." Cristina said worriedly. 

"Yeah. I went to tell the chief... about my hand." Burke informed him, and Cristina looked at him wide eyed.

"Burke." She said.

"But I couldn't. I don't know what I'm going to do." He admitted.

"Well I can be there if you need me, in surgery." Cristina reminded him, willing to stand by him.

"I'm not doing any surgery. I'm going to catch up on paper work." Burke informed her, motioning his paperwork.

"So What does that mean? Does that mean..." Cristina started to ask, but Burke interrupted her.

"I don't know. I don't know what I'm going to do. I need time to think." Burke said.

"Okay."

"I have paperwork. I need to do paperwork." Burke muttered as he started his work back up.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"I know how the rumor mill works around her George. I'm the crazy intern, and now I'm the crazy intern whose friends have to babysit her." Izzie stated as they made their way down the hall.

"You know what we should talk about. We should talk about what you're going to do with that money after you don't destroy it." George said as they approached Adam and Sonya's room and see through the open door.

"Are those people having sex?" Izzie asked with wide-eyed shock.

"They were having sex, now they're just fighting. Good to have you back Stevens." Addison commented.

Alec bit his tongue. He hadn't heard very glowing reviews of Isobel Stevens. And, not just from his sister when she was venting her anger out. From others in the hospital, while she was liked well enough, she stuck her nose into other people's business and thought she knew better than just about everyone. And, what she had done was down right criminal.

He understood why it was being dealt with this way. What she had done would end almost everyone's careers and one of the best teaching hospitals and hospital in general. And, if Richard brought her back into the fold, he better be damn sure to watch her with a microscope and have every movement documented because she was a very big risk.

"I'm not back. I'm fine. Just not back. Hey you're Addison Forbes Montgomery-Shepherd. Thats's a lot of names. A lot of rich sounding names. You're rich right? That's rude. That's a rude question. It's just that I'm rich now too," Izzie said. "And Alec, the Quinn's are rich right...at least Eddie is?"

Alec rolled his eyes. Yes, Addison was very rich, but she rarely talked about it. Yes, his family was also very rich, and Eddie was rich as well it wasn't something they brought up in conversation either, Henry Quinn taught them many things and one was them was never discuss politics, religion, or money with people, it just lead to trouble. Plus, it was in bad taste to bring up money that way. Clearly Izzie was trying to figure out what to do with the money Denny left her.

"You're not rich till you deposit the check." George commented.

"Do you ever feel guilty being rich?" Izzie asked them both.

"I'm sorry?" Addison and Alec asked together.

"Being rich? Cause I have money now, and I don't really feel like I did anything to deserve it. And I can't talk to my friends about it cause they're all so poor." Izzie said, "I tried talking to Eddie but she got paged before I could get an answer."

"Standing right here Izzie." George commented.

"Deposit the check Stevens. Just start there. And the guilt will work itself out." Addison advised.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Meredith was alone in the X-ray room, because the nursery had paged her because Mark was in surgery to get Frankie to calm down because she was refusing to calm down and take a bottle. The two girls had tried not to look to closely at the X-Ray as they took it, this situation was truly awkward not only for the formerly married couple, but for the two interns as well. 

"Hey, you're everywhere." Meredith commented as she looked away from the X-ray to smile somewhat at her ex-boyfriend.

"Well. I'm sorry. For once it was actually not on purpose." Derek informed her seriously.

"Do these look blurry to you?" Meredith asked, "Eddie thinks so, I am not sure."

"What exactly am I looking at?" Derek asked her as he took a look at the X-Ray.

"A divorced couple who got stuck together during..." Meredith trailed off and Derek looked wide-eyed.

"Oh Wow. That's got to be awkward." Derek commented awkwardly.

"Yeah, divorced five years and still going at it...like teens at the prom. So to speak. Speaking of divorce. I heard...because I'm working with your wife." Meredith said, starting the conversation that she had chosen him.

"Hmm." Derek hummed.

"Ex-wife." Meredith corrected.

"It was time." Derek informed her.

"Good." Meredith said relieved, at least she still had a shot.

"How's Finn?" Derek asked, assuming she stayed with him.

"Finn is...fine." Meredith said awkwardly.

"Good. You're right, they're blurry. You should get some new ones." Derek said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Is this the equivalent of meeting in the janitor closet in high school?" Eddie asked after a long, somewhat steamy kiss.

The couple were in one of the on-call rooms. Mark had paged her there after he finished his surgery he had been doing since they arrived at the hospital.

"You met up with guys in the janitor closet in high school?" Mark asked confused. He knew he wasn't Eddie's first boyfriend, but he didn't like the idea of anyone else with Eddie.

He had never been a jealous man, but when it came to Eddie, he was territorial. He would try to curb this new revelation, but it was hard. Especially with their large age gap. But, he knew Eddie would never cheat on him, and they loved each other, not that either admitted it, but they were both in this a hundred percent.

Eddie gave him a really look.

"Honey, I was ten when I was in high school." Eddie reminded him. "But, my best friend is Eli. He was very popular with boys and girls, it wasn't uncommon to find him in...compromising situations."

"Oh," Mark said, with a nod. "Right."

Eli was certainly charming and smooth. He was a natural flirt, much like Mark. But, it was obvious Eli and Ben were very much a couple, at least for a while.

"Yeah, so why did you decide  to meet here, because we can't really do...much." Eddie said blushing slightly, as she motioned down to her cast-covered leg.

Mark smirked slightly.

"Because I wanted to see how you were, and how our girl was, the scrub nurse said she was struggling." Mark commented.

"I am good. I am working with both Addison and Alec, along with Meredith. Our case is....unusual. A divorced couple are stuck in the middle of "it"." Eddie said, blushing brighter.

Mark's eyes widened.

"Really?" He asked.

Eddie nodded.

"And, as you can guess...it's awkward." Eddie said, "and Frankie is fine. She refused her bottle, after I fed her she was right as rain. Though, I am sure she'd love to see you."

Mark nodded.

"Defiantly." Mark said.

"So, what does your day look like? Think we can meet for lunch?" Mark asked.

"My lunch is at one." Eddie said.

"I am in surgery then." Mark said with a sigh, as he leaned down and kissed her.

Eddie happily kissed him back, her arms wrapping around his neck, pulling him closer.

Just then, Eddie's pager went off.

"I have to get back to work, I will see you later." Eddie said reluctantly as she grabbed her crutches and slipped out of the room, leaving Mark to groan.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A little while later, Mark was in Anna Nyles' room talking about her choices after her surgery.

"If you go ahead with the mastectomy, there are several reconstructive options. Saline implants are used most often. But silicone has a more natural look and feel." Mark explained to the young woman.

"I can't deal with this right now." Anna said, angry and upset that this was happening.

"Anna... come on. It'll take two seconds, huh?" Mr. Nyles said encouragingly.

"You're the one who has to feel them so you decide." Anna said, not wanting to make the decision.

"I don't care." Mr. Nyles said.

"Dude, trust me, you care." Alex informed the man, as he stood slightly behind Mark.

"Dr. Karev." Bailey chastised.

"Dude, he's right. You care." Mark agreed with Alex.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bailey was standing at the nurses station a few doors down from Anna Nyle's room when her husband approached, worried about his wife.

"Dr. Bailey? What's wrong with my wife?" Mr. Nyles asked worriedly, she had been so different since the diagnosis.

"I'm sorry. You know she has stage 2B breast cancer..." Bailey reminded him of her diagnosis. 

"I know that, but will you please tell me what's wrong with her?" Mr. Nyles said worried about her state of mind.

" Mr. Nyles..." Bailey started.

"Cause she won't talk to me, I try and I try but she won't. She won't even look at Gus. She won't hold him and all he wants is his mom. He's just... she's such a good mom. I know it doesn't seem like that. But she is." Mr. Nyles explained.

"Okay, I can schedule a psych consult..." Bailey started, she couldn't get involved. She couldn't risk her objectivity.

"I don't want a psych consult. I just want my wife back. Please. Now she's talking crazy. How she might not have the surgery at all." Mr. Nyles begged.

"Mr. Nyles..." Bailey started.

"Can you please tell her that she has to have the surgery? Somebody has to tell her." Mr. Nyles begged.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"I did this for you...you know." Adam informed his ex-wife as they laid awkwardly in the X-Ray room.

"You have got to stop doing things for me you know. I'm with Tom now. I love Tom." Sonya denied, sleeping with Adam was an accident.

"I still can't believe you left me for that guy. What does Tom have that I don't?" Adam asked, wondering what his ex-wife whom he loved seemed to love someone else, despite this current predicament.

"Well for one, he doesn't have a pierced.." Sonya started.

"You two... need to stay completely still so that we can get a clear picture." Eddie informed the couple.

"We fought through nineteen years of marriage. The only time we didn't fight was when we were having sex." Sonya reminded him of how dysfunctional their marriage was.

"I still love you." Adam said as their daughter, Jennifer walked in to the shock of a lifetime.

"Mom? Dad?" Jennifer asked shocked.

"Scratch that. Now I'm in hell." Sonya said, mortified.

"Jennifer, maybe you want to go wait in the hall..." Meredith suggested to the couple's daughter.

"You guys are so paying for my therapy. And my rent. And my new car." Jennifer informed her parents seriously.

"Of course sweetie." Adam said, as Sonya gave her husband a really look. She always had to be the bad guy with her, while he was the fun parent and she hated it.

"Oh, go ahead, coddle her. You are old enough to know that your parents are sexual beings and that they make mistakes." Sonya informed her daughter.

"Oh. Is that what you call this mom? A Mistake? Because I call this, you once again being a slut." Jennifer snapped, she still hadn't forgiven her for leaving her father for another man.

"Hey! You don't talk like that. I am your mother!" Sonya yelled at her daughter.

"Yeah and what a great role model you turned out to be. Look at you. Cheating on your husband with your ex-husband. And daddy, what about you? I thought you finally moved on. You said you were going to start dating." Jennifer said.

"It's complicated, honey." Adam tried.

Just then Addison comes in with films.

"Well, it seems your IUD has dislodged from your uterus, hooked on to your husband's piercing, and is embedded in your vaginal wall." Addison informed the couple, as she looked at the films.

"Did she say piercing?" Jennifer asked mortified as Addison looked up and wondered who she was.

"Daughter." Eddie informed the red head.

"Perfect." Addison said somewhat sarcastically.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie, Meredith, Cristina, George, and Izzie were sitting in the cafeteria eating their lunch. Izzie was still obsessing about what to do with the money she had been gifted from Denny in his will.

"I think I'm going to buy something for Bailey, and for Burke. What do you think Burke would want?" Izzie rambled.

"Nothing you could buy with money." Cristina said bluntly.

"He likes Jazz." George offered Izzie who gave him a really look.

"I'm not buying him a CD George. I'm a multi-millionaire. It needs to be something... big." Izzie stated.

"A house in the Bahamas." Meredith offered.

"I'd buy the Bahamas. Or a Bahama. I'd buy an island. You know for 8 million dollars, I'd buy an island." Alex stated.

"Or, you could just put it in your account and live off the interest and invest." Eddie said.

"Is that what you do?" Izzie asked Eddie.

Eddie rarely talked about her wealth, in fact Izzie overheard her talking to Cristina and Meredith about it once. And, Izzie at the time could remember being so jealous about that. She didn't have to work a day in her life if she chose to. And, she didn't have to model to put herself through school and worry about money like Izzie did.

Eddie was raised with a silver spoon in her mouth.

"Uh-huh." Eddie said with a nod. "But, I add to it with my paycheck and things like that. I also don't like to spend a lot of money. I prefer to live within a budget."

She had nothing on the wealth of her mother's family. She was practically a pauper compared to them, but she did learn from them that you don't spend outrageously, though, their version of outrageous had a bigger price tag than Eddie. Plus, she was a simple girl. She didn't need all the fancy things, but it cushioned the blow with bills when she was pregnant with Frankie, and a lot of other expenses, though Mark was adamant in paying a rather big chunk of things as well.

"Don't you feel guilty, you didn't do anything to deserve the money?" Izzie said.

Eddie gave her the same look Addison and Alec did when she bluntly asked that question. Izzie didn't understand how they didn't feel guilty. She felt guilty about the money she received. 

"Not really." Eddie said with a shrug. "It's generational wealth, my grandmother gave it to me to make sure I could have a nest egg. She made sure I knew the value of a dollar."

"Oh you're an intern. When would you have time to go to your Bahama?" Cristina asked Alex, knowing Eddie was uncomfortable with the discussion Izzie was pushing on her.

"I'd quit." Alex said.

"No you wouldn't. You're a surgeon. You operate. That's what you do." Cristina said before she looked at Izzie, and added, "Sorry."

"Why? I'm fine. I'm fine. I am not a surgeon." Izzie said.

"My patient, a thirty years old with breast cancer. I say live your life while you can in the Bahamas." Alex informed Izzie.

"Have you told Derek yet that you broke up with Finn?" Izzie asked Meredith instead.

"I'm giving him time." Meredith explained once again.

"That's stupid." Izzie stated bluntly.

"You know what's stupid. It's carrying around a check for eight million dollars." George reminded Izzie.

"I'm fine. The check is fine. We're all fine, okay?" Izzie snapped.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Callie joined Meredith and Eddie at the nurses station. She needed their advice. Meredith and Eddie were George's friend, they would know him best.

"I slept with another guy, a few times. Do I tell George?" Callie asked them, leaving out the fact it was Conrad she had been sleeping with.

"No, you guys broke up." Eddie said, "if you want to get back together, yes, be honest. But, if you're truly over, don't bother to tell him. It is not his business."

Callie nodded taking in the advice. Thinking about whether or not she and George were over.

"I broke up with Finn. Do I tell Derek? I can't tell Derek." Meredith asked the older woman.

"I have to tell George." Callie said after a moment.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In Anna Nyles room, her husband was trying to get her to hold their son, Gus, whom she hadn't held really since she fell into a depression after her cancer diagnosis.

"Here, honey. Please just hold him." Mr. Nyles begged.

"Stop it." Anna snapped.

"Will you please just talk to me?" Mr. Nyles begged.

"I want you to leave me alone."  Anna ordered.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Outside the Nyles' hospital room Bailey was watching the scene and trying to force herself from interfering. The words Savoy said were haunting her, and making her second guess everything. After what happened to Izzie, how could it not?

"You took a lot of hits today at the M&M. Some of them justified, some of them not. Compassion and empathy are a big part of the job. I don't care what Savoy said, and I know I haven't always been supportive, but being a parent makes you a better doctor." Webber informed his favorite resident who looked at him and nodded.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Dr. Sousa," Mark said trying to sound professional, as he approached Eddie with an ice chi latte in his hand along with his bone dry cappuccino.

"Dr. Sloan." Eddie said as Mark handed her the drink he brought her.

Two of the female interns and a female third year resident, who were nearby looked on jealously. They had been trying to flirt with the handsome attending. They knew he was the baby daddy of Eddie Sousa's baby, but they didn't think it was serious. That would would need or want a woman.

But, he ignored them, was polite and professional, but they could tell by the way he was behaving, he was into Eddie. And, they couldn't help but feel green with envy, and two were scheming on how to get him into their bed. He had a reputation of being a ladies man before he seemed to settle for Eddie.

"Thank you." Eddie said with a big grin as she took a sip of her drink. 

"No problem." Mark said with a grin.

"So, how was your surgery?" Eddie asked.

"Routine," Mark said, "they will be able to leave tomorrow without an issue."

Eddie smiled and nodded.

"So, how would you like to have dinner tonight? Alec offered to babysit." Mark said.

"Sure." Eddie said with a grin. "That sounds great."

"Perfect." Mark said as his pager went off, and kissed her head. "I'll see you later."

"See yah." Eddie said with a grin.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Izzie awkwardly stood in the doorway of the conference room where Burke was working on some paperwork. She couldn't help but feel guilty for what happened to Burke. He got shot because he was checking on Denny. Because of her, and she needed to do something, anything, good with the money Denny left her.

"Hi. I just wanted to say hi. Denny left me 8 million dollars. 8.7 million to be exact. Did you know that he had money? Cause I didn't know." Izzie rambled awkwardly, as Burke looked at her saying nothing.

"No, I didn't know." Burke informed her.

"I'm thinking about using it to travel. Maybe go to Italy. I've never been there before. I hear Venice is amazing." Izzie stated.

"Izzie..."

"I'm fine. Really I am, I'm fine. Everyone thinks I'm not but...I'm fine." Izzie informed him, continuing to ramble.

"You're fine. I'm fine. Everything's fine." Burke informed her, though he knew that was a lie.

"So." Izzie said.

"I got shot. I got shot because I was coming back to the hospital to check on Denny. Because you asked me to. I'm not fine. Eddie got shot saving my life. She is not fine, she is better but not fine. Denny asked you to marry him and now he's dead. You're not fine. Don't come in here and... just... we're not fine." Burke informed her bluntly.

"I'm sorry. We were friends. You were my boss but I think we were friends too. I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt. And I know there is nothing I can do to take it back." Izzie apologized.

Burke wondered if she ever apologized to Eddie, who was the innocent victim. She truly had no idea that Izzie was doing anything, she had been shot trying to save him. What Izzie did was wrong.

"No."

"Preston, please." Izzie begged.

"You quit. You quit being a surgeon. You have two good hands and you aren't using them. Feel guilty about that." Burke snapped before he got back to work.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"So I hear you're a divorced man." Mark commented to Derek.

Derek and Mark had gone out to get a few drinks the night prior and Derek had told him all about the upcoming mediation and official divorce. Addison had drawn up papers before coming to Seattle, and he and his lawyer went over them, a few agreed upon changes and everything was set.

His marriage was over.

A large part of him was relieved, while he loved Addison, they no longer worked. They both grew apart instead of together. When they were starting out it was easier to grow together because they were striving towards the same goal; but then things changed when they got more involved with their careers. 

Add to it that the struggles to start their own family drove them more into their careers as well. And, the more successful they got, the more out of touch they became.

It seemed inevitable that they would break up.

He just regretted how he went about it.

Derek should have divorced her when she first arrived to Seattle, and save himself, Addison, and Meredith all the heartbreak they were going through.

Derek sighed.

"Yeah." He said with a sigh. "It was time."

"For what it's worth, I am sorry." Mark said honestly.

He truly did care for both his best friend and his former wife. For eleven years Addison was basically his sister-in-law. Addison was also one of his closest friends. Despite the fact he wasn't thrilled that she cheated on Derek with Nicholas, but he still cared for her no matter how much he hated her.

"I know." Derek said, "but it needed to be done. My heart just wasn't in it."

"And, you're not with Meredith?" Mark asked, still trying to figure that part out. They obviously cared about each other.

"She's with Finn. She deserves Finn." Derek said.

"Buddy, let me tell you something, if you truly love someone let them decide what is best for them." Mark said. "And, for what it is worth, I don't think Meredith and the vet worked out."

Derek shrugged.

"Let's talk about something else, how are you and Eddie doing?" Derek asked.

He hadn't been shocked to find out his best friend and the young genius intern got together. He thought it was only a matter of time, and he couldn't help but feel proud that Mark was actually trying a committed relationship. He had tried with Lindsey, but it was more of a friends with benefits thing, and they were both constantly cheating on each other, Lindsey more so than Mark.

Mark, told him though, that Eddie was different. He loved her. He had never heard Mark say he loved a woman outside of his chosen family (Derek's mother and sisters). And, he didn't want to mess it up because Eddie would never give him a second chance, and that she deserved the world and he wanted to give that to her.

It was always a closet romantic.

"We're doing great. We're going on a date tonight, Alec is watching Frankie, and I am taking her to this new restaurant." Mark explained. "It's Portuguese, and she mentioned wanting to go, so, I figured this would be a great time."

"Portuguese really?" Derek asked, he never really thought about Portuguese food.

"Yeah, Eddie's grandpa was from Portugal, apparently the only good thing her mother did was encourage the love of her heritage. She loves the food and is fluent in Portuguese. I figured I could learn a bit more about it, because I know Frankie will learn about it."

"Well, aren't you a romantic." Derek said.

"It's one of my best traits." Mark said. "But, just think about talking to Meredith, okay. You deserve to be happy, no matter what your guilt is telling you." 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Sonya, quit grabbing my leg." Adam ordered his wife, as he felt his leg move.

"I am not grabbing you anywhere, she is." Sonya said, as she nodded towards Cristina who was moving his leg.

"Mr Morris, we need to position you correctly to get a clear image." Cristina explained.

"Dr. Yang, move him a little to the left." Alec said, from the computer. Addison stood near the door watching the scene, when Richard Webber joined her.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Addison asked Richard.

"I heard about it. I had to see it. And now I've seen enough."  Webber stated.

"Dr. Yang I need you to lift him a little as you pull him." Alec informed the stern intern. He was sitting with his sister, who was watching from the X-Ray room.

"I'm trying." Cristina replied.

The couple cry out in pain.

"Lift his right leg twenty degrees. Freeze! Hold that position!" Webber ordered the intern.

"Dr Grey, can you kind of slowly swirl Mrs. Cowlman in a counter clockwise direction." Addison ordered her ex-husband's lover.

"Swirl?" Meredith repeated.

"Swirl?" Sonya asked just as shocked as Meredith.

"Swirl." Cristina said.

"Oh God, Sonya." Adam moaned as Meredith moved Sonya.

"Oh, Adam, not now!" Sonya said.

"Careful! Careful!"

"Dr. Yang and Dr. Grey, on the count of three I want you to slowly gently pull them apart." Alec ordered as the two women did as he asked.

"Oh..." Cristina said as the monitor started to beep erratically.

"He's having a... Heart attack! He's having a heart attack!" Eddie said.

"Oh, thank God. I mean... code blue!" Cristina said as every doctor jumped into action.

"Oh. He's tearing through his aorta. We need to get him to an OR now or he's going to die. Who's the cardiac surgeon on call?" Alec asked the nurse.

"Dr. Harrison, but he's in surgery." The nurse responded.

"Where's Burke?" Webber asked Cristina, who would be the best person to ask.

"He's in the conference room. But he's not on the board yet." Cristina replied.

"He is now. Notify the OR. Let's move, people. Come on. Go, go, go." Webber ordered as they moved towards the OR.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In the scrub room, Cristina and Burke were scrubbing up. Burke was nervous about the surgery he was about to preform. Especially since he still had the tremor.

"How do we do this?" Cristina asked him.

"Stand on my right side..." Burke informed his girlfriend who nodded.

"On right side..." Cristina agreed.

"And if any time in the procedure..." Burke started.

"If you tremor..." Cristina interrupted, and Burke gave a curt nod.

"I'll look at you and you'll know to slide in and do the sutures we practiced." Burke finished as he gave Cristina a searching look.

"What if one of the scrub nurses notices? What if they say something." Cristina asked worriedly.

"Cristina, I can't walk away from this surgery. If I do this man will die. So tremor or no tremor, I have to try. But you.." Burke said seriously.

"I'm your intern. I will be there on your right side." Cristina interpreted, knowing that she needed to do this.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In the OR Burke was starting work on Adam. He was hoping that his tremor wouldn't act up.

"10 Blade.." Burke ordered.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"As soon as we hear something about your ex-husband we'll let you know. Since I removed your IUD you may want to use a backup method." Alec informed Sonya, as Addison looked over her chart.

"Oh I'm doubt I'll be having sex any time soon...once I tell Tom." Sonya informed her doctors.

"You're... you're going to tell your husband?" Addison asked shocked.

"You know the first time it happened, I felt so guilty. But I wasn't going to tell Tom because it wasn't going to happen again. And then it happened again... and again... and somewhere along the way I stopped feeling guilty. Yeah, I'm going to tell my husband. I think the truth just has to come out, you know?" Sonya explained.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Dr. Burke I know it's a lot to ask, but I would really appreciate it if you would let me try my running whip stitch." Cristina said when she noticed his hand starting to shake slightly.

She slides in and takes over the operation.

"All right, take a good bite. You want to make sure it holds. Good. Don't put too much pressure. There, keep going." Burke reminded his girlfriend and protege.

"Oh my god." George said as he and his fellow interns (including Izzie) were watching the surgery to see Cristina taking over Burke's surgery.

"Cristina's doing a running whip stitch...on a heart." Izzie said shocked.

"I guess sleeping with your boss has its perks." Alex commented as Eddie smacked Alex on his chest.

"Seriously Alex." Eddie said, "be nice."

"It's Cristina." Alex stated as if it were an excuse not to be nice to the Asian woman.

Eddie sighed, she knew both of them tease each other for the fun of it, but she was determined for them to be at least civil.

"This sucks. Cristina gets sex and perks." George muttered thinking about the fact Callie had been avoiding him.

"Maybe you should just apologize again George." Meredith commented.

"Yeah, cause you're in a great position to give relationship advice." George said.

" Cristina's doing a running whip stitch...on a heart." Izzie said shocked.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"I don't feel like talking." Anna Nyles said to Bailey who entered the room.

"When I'm driving home at night, after a long day at work all I can think about is getting to my baby." Bailey informed the fellow young mother.

"If this is where you tell me to fight the cancer so I don't miss out on the joy of motherhood..." Anna started, but Bailey cut her off.

"Then I get home, and the baby's crying... and the exhaustion hits. And I resent that tiny baby's presence in my house. My previously very quiet house."

"Why are you telling me this?" Anna asked the doctor, curiously.

"So you know what I do? First I pick a fight with my husband. You know, blame him for not settling the baby down. Then I bitch about the neighbor's loud music. Then if I'm really tired, and pissed off... I blame the baby. If you hadn't been breast feeding, you never would have thought the lump was a clogged milk duct. You would have gone to the doctor as soon as you felt it. Cancer wouldn't have got this far. And you wouldn't be here making this decision. Am I close?" Bailey asked the mother.

"What kind of mother blames her own baby for her cancer?" Anna asked sadly. She loved her son more than anything, but she had this irrational anger towards the fact she missed the cancer. It seemed horrible to blame the baby, but the selfish part of her did.

It was sick.

She was the world's worst mother.

"A mother who is human. A mother who is overwhelmed." Bailey said honestly.

She loved little Tuck, but she was honest with Anna, being a mother was overwhelming and scary and sometimes after a long day, Bailey felt her own failure of being a mother sometimes and took it out on the baby, blaming her sweet boy for what he feels.

"If this is going to kill me eventually, wouldn't it be better if it happened when Gus was little? Wouldn't it be easier for him if I never existed?" Anna asked her seriously.

"Now this is when I tell you to fight the cancer so you don't miss out on the joys of motherhood." Bailey said seriously.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Addison and Derek once agains found themselves alone  in the hallway, Sonya's words ringing in her ears.

"Derek..." Addison started.

"You know what I like? I like that we can be civilized. We're these adult grown up people who can be civilized and friendly. We deserve a metal." Derek told Addison, with a sort of forced smile.

"It wasn't a one night stand." Addison said suddenly, and Derek looked at her in confused shock.

"What?" Derek asked.

"Nicholas wasn't a one night stand. I was in love with him. Or at least I thought I was. After you left, we lived together for two months. I wanted to believe that we could make it work. I wanted to believe I hadn't thrown my marriage away, that I hadn't thrown my life away on a fling. But he's Nick and well... I caught him with someone else. And then Richard called. We both had relationships with other people. We're both equally reliable. So please take the Brownstone." Addison revealed, and almost begged.

"All I want is Seattle. I want Seattle and never to see you again." Derek said, as anger and hurt swirled through him as he walked away from her.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Derek and Meredith once again found themselves in their elevator. 

"You're here. You're everywhere. And I can't not tell you. You know, I've been not telling ou all day because I thought it was kind and I thought I was giving you space. But I can't not tell you because you're here and you're you and... I broke up with Finn." Meredith informed Derek who just looked at her.

This was just to much.

First Addison's confession. Now Meredith's. He didn't know what to do.

"Okay." Derek said.

"Okay... then. Okay. I told you." Meredith said, shocked that Derek didn't pull her into his arms and kiss her.

Because she had hoped they would be together, once she told him. Because, she had broken up with Finn to be with him.

"Yeah." Derek said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Burke and Cristina were now in the waiting room, taking to Adam and Sonya's daughter, Jennifer, who was hoping her dad pulled this through.

"The operation was successful. The next 24-48 hours are critical but..." Burke started.

"We expect your father to make a full recovery." Cristina finished for him.

"Thank you so much Dr. Burke." Jennifer said as she hugged Burke tightly in thanks.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

First do no harm, easier said than done. We can take all the oaths in the world, but the fact is, most of us do harm all the time.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In the X-Ray viewing room, Izzie found Richard sitting in the chair, looking into the room, lost in thought.

"I have 8 million dollars." Izzie said, starting the conversation.

"So I've heard." Webber stated.

"I can do anything I want." Izzie said, thinking of various things she could do.

"Just about." Webber agreed.

"And all I really want to do is a running whip stitch." Izzie informed him seriously.

"My first year as an intern, I had a stable cardiac patient who blew out his lung while I was transporting him to CT. I called in a code, but by the time everyone got there, he was dead. If I'd have put in a chest tube right away..." Webber explained to her.

"You made a mistake." Izzie said softly.

"But I stayed. I worked. I learned. I never made that mistake again. If I'd have quit, all I would have had is that life that I lost. Instead I get to save lives. Every day, I get to save lives." Webber informed Izzie.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Sometimes even when we're trying to help, we do more harm than good.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie and Mark were laughing as Mark rained kisses on her neck as he pushed her gently against her door, after they entered her apartment. Alec had told them he would keep Frankie for the night, so the couple was planing on enjoying some alone time. 

While they loved Frankie, they were enjoying their time of being a couple. Though, Eddie knew in the morning, she would be itching to have her baby girl back in her arms. But, right now, she was really enjoying her time with Mark. 

They had an enjoyable night together, Mark had made the best date in Eddie's opinion. They had gone to dinner, had a few glasses of wine, and now, they were making out like teenagers. 

Her fingers slowly unbuttoned his shirt while Mark's mouth found its way back to hers and they shared a very steamy and passionate kiss.

"Bedroom?" Eddie asked breathlessly.

Mark nodded and scooped her up, and carried her to the bedroom, their lips fused back together.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

And then the guilt rears its ugly head. What you do with that guilt is up to you.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bailey was holding little Gus as Anna and her husband were talking about how they were feeling about everything, and it looked like they were going to be okay, and Bailey was happy she was able to get through to Anna.

"Babysitting Dr. Bailey?" Dr. Savoy asked as he came up to her seeing she was holding little Gus.

"That's right, I'm babysitting. I'm being all unprofessional and emotionally involved while my patient and her husband are having a moment together. You might want you leave right now. I feel a rush of hormones coming on. There's no telling what I might do." Bailey explained in her Nazi tone.

It caused Dr. Savoy to back off as Alex came over to her.

"How's it going in there?" Alex asked her.

"I think they're leaning toward a mastectomy." Bailey informed her intern.

"That's good." Alex said then after a moment, Alex said. "About Izzie... I didn't do anything."

"I know Karev, you didn't do anything, you weren't even here." Bailey repeated in a flat tone. Alex had been adamant that he did nothing.

"No listen. I knew... Izzie told me what she was going to do...somewhat. But, I didn't say anything cause I didn't want to get involved. I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything to stop her. You weren't the only one." Alex said as Bailey looked at him with a critical eye.

He was the first one to truly show remorse at the choices he made that cost Denny his life.

"Alex. Thank you." Bailey said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

We're left with a choice.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In Callie's hotel room, she and Conrad were once again hanging out in her hotel room. Just as friends. They were watching a movie while having dinner and sharing a nightcap. Rory had been hanging out with them, until her babysitter called and informed her that Milo was sick, and she had to go.

While they were laughing at a joke from the movie, there was a knock on the door, and Callie made her way to the door, curious to see who was there. She opened the door just enough when she saw George standing there. Her body blocked the fact that she wasn't alone in the room.

"I got fried chicken, extra crispy. Coleslaw. Peach cobbler. Beetle Jump and Samauri Ambush." George said as he motioned to everything in his arms.

"The other night when I told you I was done trying to compete. That was me trying to break up with you." Callie informed his bluntly, hurt in her tone.

Did George truly think she was that easy? How stupid was he?

"No... I think I would've noticed that." George denied.

"Except you didn't. Which is why I broke up with you." Callie said as she closed the door.

She turned to see Conrad looking at her with sad eyes, and she made her way over to him and let him hug her as she cried out all the hurt she was feeling over George.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Mark and Eddie laid in bed after two very satisfying rounds. The two were cuddled together under a tangle of blankets.

"How are you sweetheart?" Mark asked, worried that he might have hurt or jostled her injured leg. Also, he knew it had been a while, since their time together in New York, that Eddie had been with anyone and he wanted to make it special.

She deserved special.

"Perfect." Eddie said with a smile. 

Mark smiled as he kissed the crown of her head.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Either let the guilt throw you back into the behavior that got you into trouble in the first place, or learn from the guilt and do your best to move on.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Are you seriously not going to deposit that check?" Meredith asked Izzie shocked as she and George watched her move around the kitchen.

"Some good needs to come from this money. Until I know what that good is... no. I'm not depositing the check." Izzie informed them as she clipped the check onto the fridge before she left. Meredith goes to grab it, but George slaps her hand down.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

3.8K 137 17
⎯⎯Greys Anatomy INTERN🩻🥼🩺 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 a group of 6 start internship at Seattle grace and get more than they hoped for. DEREK SHEPHERD X READE...
84.3K 1.5K 125
You are Y/n Sloan, little sister of Mark Sloan. You are 26 years old and have been in the army helping out doctors as you wanted to help others after...
29.6K 842 35
"But he's Evil Spawn." "Don't you think I know that. I didn't wake up one day and suddenly decide I was going to be in love with Alex Karev." Being t...
37.8K 1.4K 9
Mark Sloan was doing great, he'd just brought an apartment which he was in the process of convincing the love of his life to move into with him. And...