[BL] Eternal Spring

By _earthshaker_

In the kingdom of Qiangda, the people live a harmonious life. The imperial family bears the mark of the phoen... More

Disclaimer
第一章
第二章
第三章
第四章
第五章
第六章
第七章
第八章
第九章
第十章
第十一章
第十二章
第十三章
第十四章
第十五章
第十六章
第十七章
第十八章
第十九章
第二十章
第二十一章
第二十二章
第二十三章
第二十四章
第二十五章
第二十六章
第二十七章
第二十八章
第二十九章
第三十章
第三十一章
第三十二章
第三十三章
第三十四章
第三十六章
第三十七章
第三十八章
第三十九章
第四十章

第三十五章

35 0 0
By _earthshaker_

A/N  cranking out chapters hehe~~ updated more in the last two weeks than I did in probably half a year...

The wind blew harshly through the terrace in the imperial gardens, surrounding two figures outfitted in fur in the chilly snow. One of them, the king, absentmindedly played with the china cup in his hand, watching the remnants of cold tea swirl around...and around...and around. On the other side of the table, Xiu Ying huddled miserably, a stiff smile frozen on her face. The beautiful fur cloak on her body kept her warm but the cold wind still sliced at her face. It hadn't been long, yet the servants were frantically running back and forth, reheating the dishes only for them to get cold in a quarter of a shichen.

"Y-your majesty," Xiu Ying set down her chopsticks as elegantly as she could and quickly withdrew her hands into her cloak. "The food is nearly gone, why don't we head back inside and warm up..." Finally that bastard Liu was gone from the king's side and the Dowager had arranged this meal with the king; she'd be a fool to waste this opportunity, but it really was too cold!

"Oh? This king isn't finished eating." What not finished eating? The food hasn't even been touched by you at all!! Jiang Zhilan languidly stretched out a hand, finally picking up his chopsticks and picking out a cold piece of meat from the dish. He placed it on his tongue, feeling as if he was slowly chewing a piece of wax. Eunuch Shuang wanted to intervene anxiously. Cold foods weren't good for the body in such cold weather! But the low air pressure around the king made him screw his mouth shut.

Jiang Zhilan chewed twenty times then swallowed and washed down that piece of wax with a sip of tea. He ate more delicately than a noble lady. Xiu Ying was forced to sit in silence, huddling smaller and smaller as the wind blew fiercer. Even the wine in her cup did nothing to warm her. But she didn't even dare to drink, not when the king had blatantly chosen tea.

"Your majesty," Xiu Ying looked around slowly, arching her slender swan neck. But Jiang Zhilan didn't even look up, letting out a noncommittal grunt. "The imperial gardens are truly beautiful. If it wasn't for your benevolent majesty selecting this lowly one, this consort wouldn't be able to enjoy such comforts." Jiang Zhilan glanced slightly at her. I wasn't the one that chose you. Imperial mother did. However, that glance seemed to boost Xiu Ying and she straightened like she'd been injected with chicken blood. She got up, taking the wine jug with her. "Your majesty, it's so cold, why don't you have a drink to warm up?"

"No need," but Xiu Ying had already poured a cup for him.

"Your majesty," she said coquettishly. "Your health and safety is important. You must not be slack in these affairs," she paused, "Especially that guard liu. It's good that the eldest prince prevented such a dangerous person from harming your majesty."

Jiang Zhilan's hand clenched under the table, coldness permeating in his gaze. Xiu Ying continued on, oblivious. "He doesn't come from a lofty family, how dare he be worthy to serve your majesty? Just as much, blood breeds bad behaviour."

"Are you finished?"

"He-huh?" Xiu Ying looked up, staring into the king's eyes. Those peach blossom eyes were beautiful, the envy of all women. On such a figure as the king, they invoked one's curiosity. How would those eyes change...But now, Xiu Ying regretted that she hadn't stayed in her seat. The frost in his gaze rooted her to the spot, unable to even stutter out words of forgiveness. He'd never looked at her in such a way before, only with aloofness, not like this...not with such disgust...

Before the tension could explode, Eunuch Shuang hurried forward. "Your majesty, Second Consort Yan is waiting outside."

"Mm." Jiang Zhilan turned away from Xiu Ying as Yan Li approached. Slightly flustered, Xiu Ying fixed her appearance, hatred blooming in her chest for Yan Li. How dare she encroach on her outing with the king?! She was definitely plotting something...

Yan Li was dressed in her signature palette of stormy greys, her cat nowhere to be seen. (Of course, it was much too cold outside). Delicate pieces of gold and jade dangled from her head and the wind coerced a flush to her cheeks, recreating the gentle image of a doll. "Second Consort greets his majesty, greets Noble Consort Xiu." Jiang Zhilan indicated she could stand. She stood slowly, her gaze creeping across Jiang Zhilan's face, hair and outfit. She paused slightly, then a shy smile graced her face. "Your majesty, this consort was merely passing by. I just came to greet you and didn't intend to interrupt...his majesty's meal."

Jiang Zhilan glanced over, meeting those insidious grey eyes; rare, beautiful eyes in this country, rare even in the Western regions. There was something strange in that gaze.

"This consort will take her leave."

"...alright." He gazed at her retreating back, a sense of unease rising in his heart. Unconsciously, he touched the red spider lily on his head. He didn't know why he'd worn it, but it was like he wanted Liu Qingyuan to hurry up and catch him. To come and take that hairpin. To hurry up and...come back to his side. Jiang Zhilan lowered his hand, gaze dropping as he ignored the vicious, envious gaze of his Noble Consort.

◆◇◆◇◆

Like previous nights, the chill was bitter, cutting uncaringly into the flesh of those who dared to venture out. Inconspicuously, a figure's straight back was wrapped in a light, fur-lined coat. The moonlight glinted off the silver mask on their face, hiding their eyes like a wolf stalking their prey from the shadows. Out of nowhere, another slim figure appeared, shorter and obviously female. Quiet words were exchanged, she bowed respectfully and the two parted ways.

◆◇◆◇◆

In the dimly lit depths of the imperial bedroom, Jiang Zhilan's figure sat in the ornately carved chair, a thin sleeping robe on his shoulders. Part of his hair was gathered at the back of his head, held up by the traitorous glimmer of a red spider lily. These past few days, he'd worn it almost obsessively, as if waiting for something or someone. Even now, he refused to take it off until his head actually touched the pillow. However, even as the candle burned lower and lower, he didn't move; only the sound of rustling pages accompanied him in the silence.

As Eunuch Shuang came in with the fourth refill of hot water, he caught the king tiredly pressing his temples, a deep furrow between his brows. He put down the teapot. "Your majesty, maybe you should rest." Jiang Zhilan absentmindedly waved him away.

"No need." He stubbornly persisted, the sound of pages turning following his refusal. Eunuch Shuang hesitated. The king had given his order, yet it was also his duty to take care of his heavenly body. Judging by the dark smudges under his eyes, the king hadn't been sleeping well lately. Eunuch Shuang approached the little table, cleaning up the dripping candle wax with deft movements.

"Your majesty, look. Even the candle has burned out. You must take care of your body," He hesitated for a moment, a new thought arising in his mind. "Is it because of guard Liu? He-" Jiang Zhilan abruptly raised his head, the dancing candle flame half-obscuring his eyes. After a moment of pause, Eunuch Shuang bowed his head. "Forgive me, your majesty. I've misspoke."

"Mm." Jiang Zhilan looked back down to the pages of the book. The characters seemed to blur for a moment, his eyelids drooping. He blinked hard. "It must be tiring to serve me everyday."

"No, no. How can that be, your majesty? It is an honour."

Jiang Zhilan closed his eyes. "You can retire first."

"Your majesty-"

"It's late." His tone brokered no argument. Eunuch Shuang pursed his lips, wanting to object. Since you know it's late, why are you still deciding to stay up? Jiang Zhilan tilted his head towards him. "Still not leaving?"

"That," Eunuch Shuang hesitated. "Then, this servant will leave first." He bowed low, shuffling out of the room. The outer door slid closed with a soft thump and the room fell into silence.

Alone, Jiang Zhilan let out a soft sigh, the book falling disinterestedly from his fingers to land on the side table. He reached up, his cold fingers lightly touching the devilish flower on his head. Winter was already here and the thin robe on his shoulders did little to keep the warmth. The brazier by the bed and the thick quilt beckoned him invitingly. But the thoughts in his head kept him captive, spinning in a dizzying display.

He stood up slowly, picking up the thin blue book and stepping over to the shelf where several other bound texts and bamboo scrolls lay. His figure seemed to sway, the light twisting its way around his skin like a gentle lover's embrace.

There was a chill at his back. The light blew out suddenly, bringing forth a darkness so complete, he instinctively flinched back. In the silence, the subtle sound of fabric seemed particularly loud. Jiang Zhilan turned his head slightly, pupils shrinking as cold light reflected into his eyes. He spun, raising the book he hadn't had time to put away. With a soft 'ssst', the paper was pierced through.

"Guards!" The king immediately shouted. He leaned back, feeling a cold wind sweep by his nose. In the same movement, he let go of the book, paper shreds fluttering to the floor, and reached up, catching a slender wrist in his hand. In the darkness, this grip became his pivot and the two exchanged blows until he was forced to let go to avoid a knife to his stomach.

Jiang Zhilan breathed out softly, temples beaded with sweat. He narrowed his eyes, fingers slightly curling at his sides. From the strength and angle of the attacks, he'd deduced that the assailant must be female. Even as such, she was skilled and the darkness lent her an advantage. He, on the other hand, was affected by several nights of poor sleep; he wouldn't be able to hold out indefinitely.

Judging by the fact that no guards had come when he'd called, something must have happened. He didn't know if his assailant had any accomplices...

In his daze, sharp metal pierced his arm, tearing cleanly through flesh and sending the salty scent of copper through the room.

"Ugh!" Jiang Zhilan gritted his teeth, turning his head and hitting outwards. His hand caught her arm, and he quickly took advantage of the fact to quickly disarm her with several deft movements. InThe knife fell to the ground with the clatter of metal.

The smell of blood stung his nose, making his head spin. He overestimated his step, bumping into the low side table and stumbling. The assassin pounced at the noise, knocking him over. The two of them fell to the ground. The assassin's small hand pressed his face to the floor, tearing the spider lily, and a couple strands of hair, from his head. Black silk scattered. His hand trailed after hers, reaching desperately for the piece of metal that determined his life or death.

Using his other hand, Jiang Zhilan pushed off the floor, pushing his assailant's smaller body up and switching their position. But before he could take advantage of it, a burning pain tore through his thigh, his back exploding in heated tingles as his body tried to warn him of the danger.

In the darkness, the phoenix mark flared, sensing its nemesis trying to control the body of its host. Raising shaking hands, Jiang Zhilan grasped the hand that was twisting the hairpin deeper into his thigh. He felt weak, his grip lax and unable to even grip their hand securely. In the dim light provided by the tattoo glowing in his back, a pair of dark grey eyes stared viciously at him, expression impassive. She tore the hairpin out, kicking Jiang Zhilan off her. Blood sprayed and he fell to the side, raising his hand in a futile attempt to block the blood soaked lily bearing down on him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 5.8K 95
Historical Romance Wang Lei, a powerful and unbeatable Emperor of the Wang Dynasty. He is famous, and brave and people fear him. He is known to be...
36.2K 2.4K 200
~ MDZS Alternate Universe ~ BL / yaoi 🔞 Lan Xichen, almost 28, is a lawyer, a talented one at that, who knows how to work hard, and also how to...
24.1K 3.3K 89
To cover the traces of his depravity, Gu Xiao constricted himself to the role of a jester while being torn between the idealisation of others and rea...
643K 29.6K 66
"Pretty boy, surrender that body to us!" "Not even in hell!" Bai Yuan shouted as he ran away from the thugs. Suddenly, a bright light flashed before...