Savior

By badbrits

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved." Layla Scott is on the run. She changes her name, cho... More

Prologue
The Girl in 26B
The Boy in 24B
The Girl On My Balcony
The Boy I Run From
The Girl at the Cafe
The Boy That Blushes
The Girl with Chalk (Zayn note)
The Boy with Groceries
The Girl That Bakes
The Boy That Pries
The Girl That Ignores Me
The Boy With Antiques
The Girl with Froyo
The Boy at the Bar
The Girl that I Scare
The Boy On My Mind
The Girl that Forgives
The Boy in the Kitchen
The Girl at the Party
The Boy with a Girlfriend
The Girl that Drinks
The Boy Who Stays
The Boy that Helps
The Girl on the Hill
The Boy that Leaves
The Girl that Forgets
The Boy that Forgets
The Girl with Chocolate
The Boy on the Balcony
The Girl on the Phone
The Boy in the Rain
The Girl at the Door
The Boy with Chalk
The Girl in the Hospital
The Boy with an Ex-Girlfriend
The Girl with the Sketch
The Boy and His Sister
The Girl with the Mask
The Boy at the Market
The Girl who Leaves
The Boy that Shows
The Girl and the Story
The Boy with the Gift
The Girl and the Truth
The Boy I Let In
The Girl and the Mum
The Boy and His Sheets
The Girl with Paint
The Boy Who Doesn't Answer
The Girl at the Bar
The Boy and the Dream
The Girl and the Gallery
The Boy and the Fight
The Girl with the Suitcase
The Boy I Love
The Girl and The Card
The Boy and the Text
The Girl that Goes Missing
The Boy That's Too Late
The Girl and the Game
The Boy and the Bullet
The Girl Who Sleeps
The Boy and the Umbrella
The Girl and the Bonfire
The Boy and the Epilogue
Q & A

The Girl at Dinner

24.8K 1.1K 942
By badbrits

"Why are you so nervous, Styles? Could it be because your girlfriend is about to make small talk and eat pasta with the girl you are secretly in love with?"

Niall has to give me three good pats on the back before I stop choking on the gulp of water I swallowed just as Eliza began her patronizing -and false- hypothetical question.

"That's... I-I am not in love with Layla... How could you - why would you? I don't-"

"Oh dear god," Eliza cuts me off, half exasperated and half amused at my fumbling state, "Tonight is going to be way too much fun... for Niall and I at least. Not so much for you."

She skips off then -most likely to steal another piece of garlic bread, because I know it's been her that's doing it- which leaves me red faced and gawking and Niall with a proud grin on his face.

God, they make me sick.

Before I could scold the two, three loud raps sound on my door and I have to pause before opening it in order to calm myself down. Eliza was partially right -I am ridiculously nervous. I had spent the last two hours cleaning and re-cleaning our disastrous apartment and cooking spaghetti while trying to think of topics to talk about to keep conversation flowing.

Despite this night being suggested by a very drunk Layla, and reaffirmed by a sober and suspicious Jaime, I do want tonight to go well.

I don't know if it's because Jaime still hasn't brought up Layla since she met her a few nights ago or because Layla and I had grown closer since, but the idea of the two making small-talk all night did worry me slightly.

That idea is only reaffirmed when I open the door to reveal not just Layla or Jaime, but both women standing next to each other wearing the same uncomfortable and slightly shocked expressions -as if just having run into one another.

And I freeze because both are looking at me expectantly -waiting for me to greet them- but, I fumble slightly because... who do I greet first?

Layla is all shy smiles and guarded jade eyes and navy tee-shirt dress and carrying a large round container that, no doubt, houses a delicious cake.

Jaime is all expectant smiles and open brown eyes and floral skirt and carrying a large bottle of red wine that, no doubt, costs more than half the items in my apartment.

So, instead of choosing and making things awkward, I let them choose. I swing open the door wider with a, "Come in, come in!" and watch as Layla graciously lets Jaime walk through first. She plants a chaste kiss on my lips that makes my face heat because of the other two people in the room.

Niall ushers Jaime to the kitchen while Layla takes a tentative step forward and I take the initiative of pulling her into my arms -the container causing us to fumble slightly before properly embracing each other.

It's something that I would have never done just a few weeks ago considering Layla's aversion towards touch. But, recently, she has been warming up to me slowly: placing a hand on my shoulder when serving me coffee, not flinching every time my hand grazes hers -she still does, but not as often as before, and even lightly slapping my chest when I made a dumb joke just yesterday.

It isn't much, but it's something. It's progress.

"I'm really glad you could make it."

Layla pulls away, cheeks tinged a light pink, "I debated on coming up with some lame excuse to ditch, but I had already made the cake so... I didn't want you all to miss out on this delicacy."

"Well, I thank you for your consideration. I think Niall would cry if you took your baking away from him."

She laughs lightly -a delicate and wispy sound that makes my chest ache- and I place a gentle hand on her back to guide her towards the kitchen. Her muscles tense slightly at my touch and I'm sure that if she wasn't holding the cake, her hands would be trembling.

But, she doesn't push me away.

As soon as we turn the corner and are visible to the kitchen, Jaime's eyes fall on my hand hidden behind Layla and although I know I'm doing nothing wrong, I drop it weakly and instead take the cake from her hands.

"My favorite employee!"

"Encyclopedia Layla!"

Both Niall and Eliza jump at the chance to greet Layla and I have never felt more disturbed by how in sync they truly are. Layla looks slightly freaked as Eliza pulls her into a light hug, but it's when Niall tries to swoop in for a kiss on the cheek that she flinches away harshly.

Instantly, her face matches her hair.

"Sorry," She laughs extremely embarrassed and Eliza elbows Niall harshly in the ribs as we all watch the awkward exchange. Niall settles for a friendly smile -having remembered how hesitant Layla is towards touch- just as she gathers herself to make a joke, "I'm a germaphobe, remember?"

I snort at the reminder of the lame excuse I gave Niall for why Layla didn't like to be touched and it's only then that I notice Jaime watching us from a far, excluded from the group and wearing a small frown.

I quickly dismiss everyone for dinner at the small table next to the kitchen as Niall and Eliza begin to serve the food. This time, I don't have to make an uncomfortable choice between the girls. Instead, I take a seat at the head of the table: Jaime on my left, Layla on my right, and Niall and Eliza across from each other.

"This isn't as good as your macaroni casserole. But I am fairly impressed." Layla jokes as she shovels another forkful into her mouth.

I cover up my small smile by sipping my wine glass and I know the others can see my red cheeks, because that is surely my favorite memory of Layla and I -right behind just a few mornings ago sitting on her bathroom floor.

"So, Layla, how long have you lived here?" Jaime cuts in and I know she has been waiting to ask her because of how fidgety and guarded she has been. Yet, she still refuses to mention Layla in front me in order to not cause a scene.

"About three months."

"You're obviously American, but you have a different kind of accent. Where are you from?"

"New York. The Bronx."

"Why'd you move?" The question is innocent, but everyone at the table tenses because we all know not to get too personal with Layla (because of her mysterious past), but Jaime never got that memo.

Layla's expression remains stoic and if it wasn't for the way her hands begin to tremble so hard she can't even hold her fork, you would think Jaime asked her about the weather. Jaime waits patiently, with an innocent expression on her face, as Layla clears her throat and meets her gaze.

"Just needed a change is all."

It's the first I've heard of any kind of reason for moving, but much too vague to pull anything from it. Though, it doesn't stop Jaime's nosy nature.

She nods her head, but isn't finished with her interrogation, "Don't you miss your friends and family?"

Layla's knuckles go white from her grip on her fork, "Don't have a family. Never really had any good friends."

Jaime finally shuts her mouth and flushes in embarrassment of bringing up such a touchy subject, but Layla just goes back to eating casually. From the end of the table Eliza flashes me a glare -eyes darting from Jaime to Layla in a silent plead to end the tension.

Unfortunately, this situation is a bit out of my league. Layla and Jaime are both looking into their food now and refusing to speak again and this is not going well. Eliza, thankfully, notices my struggle and rolls her eyes before clapping her hands together to gather the table's attention.

"Let's forget about the rest of Harry's overcooked pasta-"

"Heyyyy-"

"And devour Layla's delicious red velvet cake!"

I stop whining after that, because well, I'd much rather eat cake. I'd much rather eat Layla's cake.

Niall and I clear everyone's plates as Eliza goes to work cutting the cake and putting -fairly large- slices on everyone's plates. Jaime and Layla remain in their seats after being told not to help and both sit in silence.

And I have never been more uncomfortable.

"Jaime, ask Layla a question!" Niall plops down in his seat, plate piled high with cake, and excited grin on his lips. Eliza and I both face palm at his fascination with Layla's talent.

"What?"

"Layla's got an encyclopedia in her head," Niall exclaims and I see the girl in question shake her head with an amused smile. It makes my chest feel lighter, "Ask her anything you've ever been curious about!"

"Okay," Jaime laughs, but still sounds skeptical as she thinks of something, while the rest of us dig into the delicious cake, "Who invented cake?" She laughs, taking a bite and widening her eyes at just how moist and velvety is tastes.

"Well, the ancient Egyptians were really the first culture to ever bake anything, but the Greeks were really the first to ever bake anything cake-like and call it that when they invented cheesecake."

Jaime's mouth goes agape in shock and she looks between us all with an awed smile. Layla, however, continues to eat her slice in silence, probably used to people's reactions.

"You just knew that off the top of your head?"

"Yep."

"How?"

Layla sighs exasperatedly and I can tell that she is getting irritated, though she doesn't let it show, "I just used to have a lot of time on my hands is all."

"So, you spent that time reading the encyclopedia?" Jaime laughs in disbelief as if it is the most ridiculous thing she has ever heard and I know she doesn't mean it in a demeaning way, but it still has Layla's jaw clenching and her hands trembling.

Almost on instinct my hand drops from the table and I lay it across Layla's uninjured knee -squeezing lightly in reassurance. She jumps slightly before glancing down to her leg and then looking up at me in confusion.

I offer her a small smile, to which she returns, trying to ignore the tingling sensation in my palm as Layla turns back towards Jaime.

"At least I was educating myself. At least I know who invented cake."

And that is the end of that.

By the time we finish our plates, Jaime and Layla have barely spoken another word to each other and have left the conversation-making up to Niall who just makes fun of our boss at the shop the entire time.

The two girls say goodbye in a friendly manner -small hug and smile- before Jaime turns to me with a loving grin. Without any warning, she kisses my lips languidly and lingers much longer than necessary.

Marking her territory, I'm sure.

"Call me tomorrow, monkey." She breathes before bidding one last goodbye and walking out of the flat.

My cheeks are an unnatural color of red and I look up to find Layla biting back an amused smile, though her eyes have grown a bit cold.

"Monkey, huh?"

"Oh shut it, Red."

She lets out a light laugh, shaking her head, before stepping up to me, "You owe me big for tonight, Curly. That was almost painful... I'm not very good at social gatherings... or small-talk for that matter."

I cringe at her words, because they are very true. I knew that both girls still held a bit of resentment for me not telling them about each other for so long, but I never imagined how uncomfortable one night hanging out would be.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise."

"I'll hold you to that."

And then she does something that both sends fire licking through my veins and stuns me into silence.

She leans up on her toes and brushes her full, petal lips against my cheek softly before planting a kiss there so tenderly, so quickly that I would've thought I had imagined it had it not been for the heat I feel in their wake and the thrumming in my chest.

I'm too stunned to react and I know Layla is just as shocked at her own actions because she instantly leaves after that, eyes glued on the floor, and shutting the door behind her.

It's only when the door clicks shut that I am pulled out of my dazed state and a dopey grin pulls at my lips at the sudden affection that is so very rare of Layla.

However, when I turn around to see Eliza and Niall standing just a few feet away, watching me with disapproving looks and crossed arms, that grin is wiped clean and reality sets in and I know that I surely am fucked.

"What are you doing, mate?" The question is a general one, though I know exactly what he is referring to.

And I'm not so sure I know anymore.

_______________

Ah, okay, first: this story hit 10k which is pretty rad, and second: I just planned out the next three chapters and I think you guys are going to need heart monitors, so you don't go into cardiac arrest.

What do you think of their nicknames for each other by the way?

VOTE + COMMENT (and follow me on insta so you get hints for future updates and sneak-peaks)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.8K 779 51
Dana Mitchell is a young agent who had solved cases and has an unlikely huge crush on Harry Styles, one of the five members of One Direction. When Ha...
432K 12.7K 41
Harry Styles lives in a flat in London with his roommates Zayn and Liam. When Louis -- a handsome and spunky magazine writer -- moves in across the h...
151K 8.9K 47
After Layla French's life is turned upside down by the ultimate betrayal, she finds herself at square one. No husband. No home. And no Harry Styles...
1.4K 82 30
"No, no. No talking little bug, this is the part where you listen" he cuts me off before I can finish. I'm disappointed in myself for complying to hi...