Sweet Dreams (Are Made of Thi...

By kellyann0007

Edit (Eddie) Sousa didn't expect her intern year to go like this. All because she had a one night stand with... More

Part 1 Cast (Seasons 1-3)
Chapter One: A Hard Day's Night
Chapter Two: The First Cut is the Deepest
Chapter Three: Winning a Battle, Losing the War
Chapter Four: No Man's Land
Chapter Five: Shake Your Groove Thing
Chapter Six: If Tomorrow Never Comes
Chapter Seven: The Self-Destruct Button
Chapter Eight: Save Me
Chapter Nine: Who's Zoomin' Who
Part 1 Season 2 Announcement
Chapter Ten: Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
Chapter Eleven: Enough, Is Enough
Chapter Twelve: Make Me Loose Control
Chapter Thirteen: Deny, Deny, Deny
Chapter Fourteen: Bring the Pain
Chapter Fifteen: Into You Like a Train
Chapter Sixteen: Something to Talk About
Chapter Seventeen: Let It Be
Chapter Eighteen: Thanks for the Memories
Chapter Nineteen: Much to Much
Chapter Twenty: Owner of a Lonely Hart
Poll
Chapter Twenty-One: Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Chapter Twenty-Two: Begin the Begin
Chapter Twenty-Three: Tell Me Sweet Little Lies
Chapter Twenty-Four: Break on Through
Chapter Twenty-Five: It's the End of the World
Chapter Twenty-Six: As We Know It
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Yesterday
Chapter Twenty-Eight: What Have I Done to Deserve This?
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole
Chapter Thirty: Superstition
Chapter Thirty-One: The Name of the Game
Chapter Thirty-Two: Blues for Sister Someone
Chapter Thirty-Three: Damage Case
Chapter Thirty-Five: Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response
Chapter Thirty-Six: Losing My Religion
Part 1 Season 3 Announcement
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Time Has Come Today
Chapter Thirty-Eight: I Am a Tree
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Sometimes a Fantasy
Chapter Forty: What I Am
Chapter Forty-One: Oh, the Guilt
Poll 2
Chapter Forty-Two: Let the Angels Commit
Chapter Forty-Three: Where the Boys Are
Chapter Forty-Four: Staring at the Sun
Chapter Forty-Five: From a Whisper to a Scream
Need Suggestions
Chapter Forty-Six: Don't Stand So Close to Me
Chapter Forty-Seven: Six Days Part 1
Chapter Forty-Eight: Six Days Part 2
Chapter Forty-Nine: Great Expectations
Chapter Fifty: Wishin' and Hopin'
Chapter Fifty-One: Walk on Water
Chapter Fifty-Two: Drowning on Dry Land

Chapter Thirty-Four: 17 Seconds

4.3K 217 159
By kellyann0007

AN: This is not a drill! Three more episodes until season 3. I hope you are enjoying it! I still am amazed and grateful at how many people love this story! Hopefully everyone enjoys this chapter, thank you all for your input on the poll I put up for these last few episodes of season 2. I hope I do you all justice with what I decided to do, because I read all the suggestions and listened to what you all wanted. Enjoy this installment of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)!!!!!!!!  I LOVE YOU ALL AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT, IT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME! 

🩷🩷🩵🩵💜💜

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The Emerald City Bar, better known as Joe's to the medical staff of Seattle Grace Hospital. It was a busy night as the TVs blared some sporting event, music pumped from the speakers, and it was packed with regulars and people just off the street.

Including, Bailey's interns. The four female interns; Izzie Stevens, Cristina Yang, Meredith Grey, and Eddie Sousa were sitting at the bar talking and relaxing after a long day at work.

Eddie had decided to hire a baby sitter for Frankie and spent some time with her fellow interns, after some encouragement from Mark, Conrad, and Eli. She was twenty-one, and needed to let her hair down occasionally. And, she hadn't done something like this since she had Frankie it felt like.

She wasn't having alcohol but she was enjoying sodas and fried cheese curds while Cristina, Izzie, and Meredith drank.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In life, we are taught that there are seven deadly sins.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Across the bar, Derek, Conrad, and Burke were playing darts. Conrad had convinced the men to blow off some steam after work. Both Derek and Burke needed it, it had been one day since the car accident that cost Melanie her life, and the two elder attendings have been walking around the hospital angry and annoyed, making those around them-mainly those who ranked under them-miserable.

So, Conrad thought it was better to be proactive than have two attendings snap at anyone.

"Let's see what you got here." Derek said motioning for Burke to take his turn. "Conrad is wiping the floor with us."

Conrad smirked as he took a sip of his Scotch.

Conrad loved darts, he and his brothers always used to play darts as well as poole growing up, since their father had both in his basement bar/man cave, and their uncles always loved to play with Henry whenever they came over to watch the big game or family event.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

We all know the big ones: Gluttony, pride, lust.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Cristina, Izzie, Eddie, and Meredith were watching them from where they sat at the bar.

"He's picturing my face. He's totally picturing that dart puncturing my skull." Cristina said as she took a sip of her whisky.

As if Burke knew his girlfriend was talking about him, he looked over and saw Cristina and looked angry. He still had yet to forgive her for falling asleep during sex.

So, she fell asleep once during sex! Big whoop!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

But the sin you don't hear much about is anger.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Burke flexed his muscles in celebration when he hit the bullseye of the dart board the second time.

"Whoa! Look at that." Cristina mocked as she mockingly did the same move Burke did.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Maybe it's because we think anger's not that dangerous.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From across the Derek and Meredith exchange angry glances. Derek takes a sip of his drink before accepting the darts from Burke and angrily throws the first one, hitting the board with an audible thud, a few inches from the bullseye.

"Derek...Derek is picturing you." Izzie informed her roommate.

Eddie had to agree with Izzie. Though, she thought it was hypocritical that he was angry that Meredith seemed to be moving on with Finn. Though, Meredith was adamant she didn't know if it was going to work out.

As of right now, they were just getting to know one another.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

That we can control it.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"He called me a whοre. He lost the right to picture me." Meredith said.

"I agree." Eddie agreed. "He has no right to even think about you now...or ever."

When Meredith told her and Cristina about what Derek said, she had half a mind to go over and give Derek a piece of her mind. But, Meredith stopped her, not wanting Derek to take his anger out on her best friends.

"Hmm." Izzie said.

"So I fall asleep during sеx. So what?" Cristina said to her friends as she took a sip of her drink.

"Ass." Cristina scoffed loudly.

"Ass!" Meredith said loudly.

Just then, Alex walks by them.

"Oh, ass! Hey!" Izzie greeted Alex with an overly friendly greeting.

Alex rolled his eyes and kissed the top of Eddie's head in greeting. She grinned at him as Alex threw an arm over her shoulder in a brotherly way.

"Isobel Stevens has finally left the hospital. Does this mean heart patient dude finally kicked it?" Alex asked her as he took a sip of his beer.

Eddie rolled her eyes and held back a sigh at Alex's comment. It took all it had in her not to chastise her friend, and she did so valiantly, because Izzie Stevens didn't even notice her lack of response. If looks could kill, Alexander Michael Karev would be a dead man.

"I'm sorry. This section of the bar is for surgeons. We don't socialize with gynecologists." Izzie said motioning to her, Eddie, Cristina, and Meredith.

Getting laughs from the two elder female interns. Eddie gave Izzie a hard glare. Really? Not that long ago, she had loved neonatal, but since Addison taught her that lesson, which Eddie truly didn't think settled into the former model's head, and Denny came into the picture, Izzie mocked the neonatal specialty.

"Well, obviously, you shouldn't be talking to me either then." Eddie said scathingly, which caused Meredith and Cristina to stop laughing. Forgetting for a moment that she too spent a lot of time on the "gynie brigade" as they often called it.

"No, you're fine, Ed." Meredith said. "We don't mean you. You're more than a gynecologist.."

"Yeah Girl Genius, you're fine." Cristina agreed. "You're going to be the most badass neonatal or peds genius."

Izzie glared at her, hating that Izzie wasn't on her side. Eddie had been different ever since Christmas, and Izize couldn't figure out why their friendship wasn't the same. Eddie didn't act any differently to Meredith and Cristina or even George.

Izzie had also noticed how Meredith, Cristina, George, and Alex all held Frankie or spent time with her and every time Izzie has tried to see her Eddie always found an excuse to not let her. Hell she bet Callie and Rory held her too. It was like Eddie didn't trust her with her baby.

And, she was annoyed she had taken Alex's side in the break up! They were friends, Alex just wanted her because he thought she was "easy" and was waiting for his time.

Alex wasn't a good guy. He tried to cause trouble between her and Denny! She honestly didn't see what she saw in him looking back. Except for maybe the goos sex.

Alex chuckled as he walked away, taking a sip of his beer as he did.

Izzie's thoughts shifted when she saw her best friend, George, approach them.

"George!" Izzie cried happily.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

My point is, maybe we don't give anger enough credit.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Once George was sitting next to Izzie, Callie came into view to sit next to him.

"Callie!" Eddie cheered happily as she got out of her seat for a moment and gave the ortho resident a hug. "Hey! It's great that you're joining us!"

"Thanks Eddie." Callie said with a laugh accepting her exuberant hug. The young intern didn't seem to see her friends deflate at the sight of her.

"Hey." Izzie said flatly.

"Hi, Callie." Meredith said in the same tone, take a sip of her drink.

"Hi, Dr. Torres." Cristina muttered uncomfortably as she took a sip of her drink.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Maybe it can be a lot more dangerous than we think. After all, when it comes to destructive behavior...

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Uh, gin and tonic and a beer." George ordered for him and Callie, trying to ignore the uncomfortable silence that settled over the group with the appearance of Callie.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

...it did make the top seven.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was a typical Saturday morning, and Eddie and Eli were having their usual weekly phone call. Something they started when Eddie moved to Seattle. There was the occasional missed call, if Eddie was working a double from Friday night into Saturday morning, or if Eli had a date or a long night at the office the night before.

But the two best friends texted and called throughout the week. Not going longer than a day or two talking. Which, was different for them, since when they were in  medical school and law school they shared an apartment together off campus, and when she was younger and in college, she often spent the night in his dorm room. They saw each other every day and hung out all the time.

So, to go from that to being on the opposite side of the country was still something they weren't used to almost a year later.

"Hey Eli!" Eddie greeted as she answered her phone. "Good morning!"

Eddie was getting ready for her shift and making sure Frankie would have everything she needed. While Eli was laying lazily in his bed, reclining slightly against his headboard.

"Hey Ed, good morning." Eli greeted with a grin.

"How are you?" Eddie asked as she looked over to Frankie, who was laying on the floor, under her hanging toy reaching out to touch them.

"I'm doing good. I won that case I was telling you about." Eli said with a grin on his face.

He was quickly making a name for himself in the DA's office, as one of the best and brightest, and up in coming.

"Really!" Eddie said with a grin. "Congratulations!"

"Thanks, and how about you and my beautiful goddaughter?" Eli asked as he looked over on the  dresser near his bed where there was a few photos of Eddie and Frankie.

"We're good." Eddie said with a grin. "Frankie officially rolled over yesterday. I was on the phone with Mark when it happened."

"That is amazing. God she is getting so big." Eli said, "I can't wait to see her again. I hope to be out there soon." 

"Well, I am thinking about going out to New York when we get seventeen days off. Mark would be there, and so would you. I thought it would be good to see the city before I have to start my second year." Eddie said.

"Amazing, we'll have to tourist up the city." Eli said with a smile. "And, let me know the dates, I'll form my schedule around it. So we can at least sped some time together."

"It'll be mid-June the fourteen or fifteenth. Depends on when the intern exam is, they'll be putting out the date of the test soon."  Eddie said.

"Cool." Eli said as he reached out to the pen and paper her kept in his nightstand and wrote that down. "I'll keep my schedule open during that time."

"Awesome! This is going to be great." Eddie said.

"So, what do you have planned today?" Eli asked his best friend.

"Well, I have a twelve hour shift today, if I don't get pulled into surgery, and the day off tomorrow so, after my shift Frankie and I will probably just crash. Then we need to go get groceries. I've been living off delivery and leftover for the past few days because of how insane the hours have been at the hospital."

"Nice." He said with a laugh.

"Like you're any better. How is the state of your kitchen?" Eddie asked her best friend knowingly.

In college, even though they lived off campus, they either ate out or in one of the campus dining halls, and their apartment was filled with the basics, alcohol (for Eli and occasionally Eddie), and a whole lot of snacks. Neither of them cooked often enough, even though Eddie loved to cook, and only bought what they needed when they did.

"I just went myself. So I'm fully stocked." Eli gloated as Eddie laughed.

"Okay, you win. So, what are you up to today?" Eddie asked him.

"I am going to work for a bit...then I am meeting up with Ben for our date." Eli said.

"Ben? Like my brother Ben?" Eddie asked stopping for a moment, remembering that Eli had told her about talking to her brother, though she knew he asked Eli out, she hadn't realized he was in New York yet. She thought he was coming in next week.

"Yeah. He got in last night. He had some conference he was attending in New York. We're meeting up for dinner. We have a date-date." Eli said with a slight flush.

Eddie smiled, remembering how nervous Eli had been that their potential date was not a date but a meet up between friends. But, her brother had quickly informed him that it was an actual date, and Eli had been counting down the days until he arrived.

"What are you guys going to do?" Eddie asked as she picked up a disgruntled Frankie, who wanted to continue playing, and put her into the car seat.

"We're getting drinks and dinner, and then we're figuring out the rest." Eli said.

"Sounds good. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. Except the dirty parts. I so don't need to know any dirty parts." Eddie said, as Eli bursted out in laughter.

"You got it Eddie." Eli agreed. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Where is Meredith?" Izzie asked her friends, when she didn't see the familiar figure of her one of her persons when she entered the intern locker room.

"She had to see McVet." Cristina said, "something about Doc. Did she tell you she has been on dates with a vet....a vet. I don't know what she sees in him."

This was the first time Cristina had brought up the issue to Eddie. So far she had been focusing on the fact her boyfriend seemed to be giving her the cold shoulder over the fact she fell asleep during sex. 

Eddie nodded.

"Yeah, she has." Eddie said as she made her way to her locker and unlocked it and started putting her things away.

"I don't see the problem," Eddie said, "she is moving on from Derek. This could be a good thing."

Cristina rolled her eyes.

"You and I both know she is not over Derek, McVet is her newest way of distracting herself." Cristina said.

Eddie knew that could be the case. Meredith still cared a bit to much about what Derek thought, and if Meredith was truly trying to get over Derek, she needed to let him go...and Eddie wasn't sure Meredith was ready or wanted to do that.

"Please tell me your on gynie squad today." Alex said coming over to the two.

"Must you be here?" Cristina asked, but Alex ignored her.

"Nope." Eddie said, "I'm on Conrad's service again. He's running the Pit." 

Alex groaned. He was going to have to suffer the She-Shepherd alone....he needed a way to get off her service.

Even if it involved Denny Duquette, he'd take it.

"Don't worry Alex, Addison will get board of bossing you around." Eddie said, though she as well as Alex knew that could last a while.

Bailey entered to see all her interns, except Meredith who was going to be arriving late ready to go said, "are you waiting for an engraved invitation, pre-rounds in five minutes people!"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Meredith, Finn, Addison, and Derek were all sitting in the lobby of the vet clinic, the clinic wasn't open yet, and Finn had suggested they all meet to discuss whaat was wrong with Doc.

"That's it? That's your diagnosis?" Derek asked, he was short and could barely stand to look at the man that Meredith seemed to be moving on with.

"Yes, he said bone cancer, so that would be his diagnosis." Meredith told Derek.

Wishing he would just put his feelings aside for her and Finn, for Doc.

"I heard him. I was double checking." Derek informed her shortly and somewhat hostile.

Addison and Finn can sense the tension in the room. Something had happened between the two, but they obviously were trying to act like there wasn't and that they were normal.

"I still need to do a bone scan to see how far it's spread. Osteosarcomas are aggressive, but we can try and treat it with chemo or remove the tumor entirely. If it's spread too far, we may have to amputate the limb." Finn explained to the three.

"At that point, should we even bother?" Derek asked the vet.

"Oh, right. Let's just let him die." Meredith retorted angrily.

"I don't want him to suffer, Meredith." Derek informed his ex-girlfriend.

"Right." Meredith said, not believing him one bit.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Twenty minutes later, Addison, Derek and Meredith found themselves sharing a tense elevator when they got to work.

"So what's...I mean, is there something going on?" Addison asked.

She noticed Derek had been moody the past few days. She had thought they had turned a corner when he came home and they had sex in their small closet sized bathroom. But, after that he seemed to be moody. It wasn't obvious at first, but he was moody and angry. But, now, it seemed like he was biting everyone's heads off.

And, Meredith seemed to be angry whenever the attending's name was mentioned and when they were forced to interact with each other, she was just as short and angry.

"No." Derek and Meredith said together.

"Did you guys have a fight, or something?" Addison asked.

"No." The former couple on either side of the redhead said.

"So...we're all still...friends?" asked Addison confused and trying to figure out what could have happened that caused their sudden flip in attitude.

"Yes." Derek and Meredith answered shortly.

Just then, the elevator doors opened, and Derek and Meredith exit the elevator. Addison was left standing there looking confused at what had just happened.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"I heard you might be getting a heart. For a transplant." Cristina said as she found her boyfriend walking down the hallway, making sure everything was covered while he went across town to get the heart.

"Mercy West has a heart and I'm going to get it, yes." Burke agreed.

"Can I go? Because, um, I've done it before. With Dr. Bailey, when she went to get a heart. You can ask her. I was very helpful." Cristina all but begged.

She wanted in on a heart transplant surgery. It felt like forever since she was on a good cardio case.

"Yeah, I'm sure you were. But I'm not going to need your help on this one." Burke said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Everything seemed to be chaotic inside the Pit today. Eddie wondered who cursed them by saying "quiet". It was mass casualties, someone had shot up a restaurant, and Seattle was being alerted that there was a spree or active shooter and to be on the lookout. So, not only where there medical personnel but police as well. 

"White male. GSW to the left shoulder." Eddie heard a paramedic call as they entered the hospital and were swarmed by nurses and doctors.

"Multiple walking wounded. Five injured coming in behind us." Another paramedic said.

Almost all of Bailey's interns were called down to the OR, Alex was stuck still being Addison's bitch, and rounding and checking on patients.

"Why are they all in the hallway?" Meredith asked as she helped tie Eddie's yellow gown, and then Eddie helped her tie hers. 

"Overflow from the ER." Cristina explained.

"A paramedic told us an employee went postal. Shot up a restaurant." Izzie explained.

"Lots of injured." Eddie said, "and I heard that two have already died."

"I heard he got away." George informed them.

"Really?" Eddie and Meredith said together.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Bailey I need an intern," Conrad informed the intimidating resident from where he was already working on a pretty bad case.

Rory Burkhardt was also there, looking at a pretty gnarly head wound. 

"Sousa, join your brother." Bailey said seeing Eddie before the rest of her interns.

Eddie nodded while the rest of Bailey's interns sighed in jealousy. Knowing that Eddie was most likely heading straight into surgery, while they were stuck working on some less sever bullet wounds and stitches and less serious injuries...and they would have to fight over the very small surgical cases.

"What do we got?" Eddie asked as she joined her brother's side as she quickly started to look him over, he looked in pretty bad shape, hopefully he'll survive the surgery.

"At least three GSW's, and he fell through a plate glass window. According to officers, he was trying to protect a few people and got injured in the fray." Conrad said. 

"Put in a chest tube and an intubation kit." Conrad said to his sister, who quickly raced off to grab the materials, and was back to put it in. Eddie quickly put in the chest tube with the help of a scrub and trauma nurse, while Conrad seemed to be working through how to diagnose and save this man's life.

"We need to get him to an OR." Conrad said.

"I need a chest x-ray, a CT and an OR now! Call and tell them we're on our way," Conrad barked to a nurse who quickly went off to do the Trauma attending's orders. as they quickly started to move out of the OR.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Neal Hannigan and Deborah Fleiss. They were paying at the register when the gunman came in." Cristina informed Bailey as they entered a Trauma room where both their newest patients were. 

"She's got a through and through to the right upper arm. Good distal pulses. He's sustained a possible graze wound to the right back." The ER doctor informed them.

"Let's irrigate the wound and get them to X-ray and order a tet-tox for both." Bailey ordered, as Cristina went to look over Neal.

"Don't worry about me, take care of my Deborah first." Neal said as he looked over at his girlfriend..

"Oh, now you're concerned." Deborah said sarcastically.

"I said I was sorry." Neal apologized.

"Sorry? The shooting starts, you duck behind me and you're sorry?" Deborah demanded.

"He ducked behind...? You ducked behind her?" Cristina asked the man shocked.

"It was instinct. I couldn't help it." Neal informed the intern.  Then he turned to his girlfriend. 

"Deb, honey, you know I love you." Nolan said.

"Love means never having to use your girlfriend as a human shield!" Deborah exclaimed.

"We shared a bullet, Deborah. It went through you and into me. That's a sign we should be together forever. A sign." Neal said, trying to convince his girlfriend of his love.

"No, Neal, this is a sign! She's squirting water through my arm."  Deborah said as she motioned to Cristina who was cleaning her wound.

"Look! I can see you through my arm. That's another sign." Deborah said as she raised her arm as if to prove a point.

"Good luck." Bailey informed Cristina as she walked out of the trauma room, to see if there was another trauma patient that needed help.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In another part of the OR Meredith and Callie were looking over a patient with what looked like a broken leg due to a bullet.

"Lower left leg deformity from GSW. Pedal pulse is strong and intact. Paramedics said he got five of morphine in the field." Meredith informed the Ortho fellow.

"Trust me, it was not enough." Their patient informed them, as he grimaced in pain.

"Probably got the tibia. Rule out other injuries then get him up to Radiology." Callie ordered her boyfriend's roommate before she walked away.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In another part of the ER Derek and George were with their patient, Kendra Thomas. Derek was examining her to check for any neurological issues.

"Let's get her up to CT. Get a hold of her parents. Get them down here as soon as possible. What's her name, by the way?" Derek asked George.

"Kendra. Kendra Thomas." George informed the attending.

"Kendra." Derek said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In a the hallway outside the ER, Izzie was working on a man, Brad, who was one of the lucky ones with only a few scrapes and bruises.

"Almost...got it." Izzie said pulling out a bit of debris.

"Do you know what you're doing? Because that really hurts, you know." Brad complained.

"You know what really hurts? Gunshot wounds. You're lucky." Izzie snapped, this man was getting on her last nerve.

"Lucky? There's no luck. Quick thinking, doll." Brad informed her condescendingly.

"Excuse me?" Izzie asked.

"I'm a quick thinker. Smart. Always right on it. As soon as I saw him, Petey...he's the shooter...I knew when I fired him he was no good." Brad informed her with a smirk, as if he was some sort of hero in this scenario. "As soon as I saw him, I thought, "Oh, here we go." I just knew it was coming."

Then he noticed two other workers being rolled past them, obviously worse off than him.

 "Hey, Chaz. Larry. No offense, but you guys got to think quicker on your feet." Brad called out.

"They have gunshot wounds. Very serious gunshot wounds. Life threatening gunshot wounds." Izzie informed him, shocked at his behavior.

He was even worse than Alex!

"Really helps that I'm an athlete because the second I saw Petey with that gun, I was like cat quick. Just dove right through the window. Those guys? Not so smart." Brad informed her bragging, trying to impress her, it wasn't working.

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Petey was looking for you." Izzie guessed with a stern and disgusted glare.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"You seen any enema kits?" Alex asked Meredith as he looked for the needed items.

"We have 13 GSWs. You're looking for enema kits?" Meredith asked shocked.

"I'm trapped upstairs with the gyno-beast on the uterus parade." Alex said angry.

And...what was worse, he was actually enjoying it...not the gyno-beast, but the actual cases...not that he would never admit it...except to Eddie, when he was drunk. And, he could see why Eddie loved it so much. In fact the two worked well together on their last couple of cases.

"Addison can't do this to you forever, Alex." Meredith tried to encourage her friend.

"You want to bet? Swear to God, she's ruining vaginas for me." Alex informed her.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Two dead, fourteen injured. The policeman say the gunman got away so there could be more incoming." Webber informed Burke as they entered the busy OR on the way to the elevator that had direct roof access.

"I could stay. We could send Bailey." Burke offered, trusting Bailey to be honest.

"No. You're our only cardiothoracic transplant specialist. You go get that heart." Burke said, it was different last time, seeing as Burke had already been in surgery when they got the call.

Cristina and Alex, overheard as they passed and both wanted in on that surgery. Cristina noticed the calculating look on Alex's face.

"Oh, forget it, Karev. I already asked." Cristina informed the evil spawn.

But, Alex didn't seem to care or even be listening as he runs off after Burke.

"It's not going to...happen." Cristina said as she took off after him.

If anyone was going to get onto a transplant surgery it should be her! Not the evil spawn!!!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Dr. Burke! Dr. Burke!" Alex called as he raced onto the roof to see Burke starting to get into the already running helicopter.  

Burke turned to see Alex and Cristina a few feet away from him.

"I heard you were getting a heart. Can I go with you?" Alex begged. Anything to get off Addison Shepherd's service for the day. And, he had yet to see a heart transplant.

"I asked first." Cristina said, giving Burke a look.

"You didn't get assigned any gunshot cases?" Burke asked the interns with critical eyes.

"Well, yeah, but if you had put me on this when I asked I would've been free." Cristina informed him.

"I didn't. I'm not doing anything." Alex quickly jumped in.

"No, he's on the gynie squad!" Cristina tattled.

"Not if you put me on this transplant. Please." Alex begged.

Seeing as Karev had been on Denny's case for a while, he figured it couldn't hurt for the male intern to see it through.

"Let's go, Karev." Burke said as Alex's grin was wide, while Cristina balked at her boyfriend in shock.

"You can't be serious." Cristina said dumbfounded.

"Whoo! See you later, Yang. Whoo!" Alex said as he quickly made his way inside the helicopter.

"So who's the lucky patient?" Alex asked as he buckled in.

Burke and Cristina stare at each other, then he turned to Alex and said;

"Denny Duquette." Burke said as the helicopter took off.  

Suddenly, being in on this heart transplant was not appealing whatsoever. He really should have asked god for another surgery without mentioning Denny earlier, it had to be karma, or some twisted sense of humor on gods part.

But, at least he was off Addison's case for a while.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Izzie Stevens made her way over to her resident with a hopeful expression on her face. She had just heard that Denny was going to get a heart. He was going to get better. And, they were going to give their relationship and actual try in the real world. She wanted to be the one to tell him he was getting the heart. She needed to be the one to tell him.

"The answer is no, Stevens." Bailey said knowing what Izzie would want.

If she had her way, Izzie Stevens would be banned from the cardio floor, but she didn't have that power, and she didn't think even if it came from the chief that she would stay away. Bailey had informed the chief of the growing and concerning relationship between Izzie and Denny, and until they had something concrete they couldn't really do much, except limit her access to Denny. And, since no one had seen anything inappropriate their hands were tied.

"You don't even know what I'm going to ask." Izzie denied.

"You want to help prep Denny Duquette for transplant." Bailey said as if it was obvious, which it was.

"So it's true? He's getting a heart then?" Izzie asked excitedly, her face lighting up.

"See, your face right now? That's the problem. You're overly attached to your patient. So the answer is no, you cannot prep him. Go back to sutures." Bailey ordered her intern, but that didn't stop Izzie.

She needed to plead her case, and she hoped with the busyness of the ER would distract Bailey enough that she would agree and let Izzie be on Denny's case. She had been adamant that whenever she was in the hospital she was on any other service but cardio recently, and she knew it was probably Alex who complained that she and Denny were getting too close.

"I know Denny's cardiac parameters. I know how his LVAD works better than any other intern. I also know his meds better. I know the frequency, the dosage, the quantity and his physical limitations. I promise I will...I will be 100% professional." Izzie promised and begged her resident for this one thing.

"No flirting, no knitting him sweaters, no marathon games of Scrabble?" Bailey asked her intern with a hard look that promised pain and torture if she even thought of it.

"I will treat him with the same protocol I would any other patient." Izzie promised seriously.

Bailey looked at her searchingly. Should she? Izzie was technically correct she was the best intern for this case...it didn't mean she liked it. 

And, really, what damage could it do. It wasn't like she was going to kill the man.

"All right. Fine. You can inform him the hearts coming." Bailey said after a moment. She would have a nurse go by and watch them for her in a little bit.

"Thank you, Dr. Bailey." Izzie cried as she tried to stop her wide grin from spreading across her face and have Bailey change her mind.

"Stevens, if you so much as sit on that bed..." Bailey called after her intern who took off at a fast pace.

"I got it." Izzie called over her shoulder.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The OR was tense, despite the fact that Conrad had the nurse playing soft music in the corner. It was going to be a long and stressful surgery. His patient, Ted, had four gunshot wounds to the chest. Two were lodged close to the heart, another was in his left clavicle, and the third had went through his gut. There was glass stuck at various places, and there a piece of glass near a major artery, that they also had to get out and hopefully not nick the artery while they do so. Then, he had Rory Burkhardt working on a pretty serious head wound from when he fell through a plate glass window. He had a fractured skull and was bleeding.

Rory was working on trying to stop the bleeding, while he was working on removing the bullets. Eddie was helping him remove them one by one. 

"I need some suction Ed." Conrad said to his sister who quickly suctioned up the blood.

Conrad nodded in thanks and he continued to try and find a way to get the bullet out without doing more damage to the heart. This man was lucky to be alive.

"So when I am removing the bullet...." Conrad started to inform his sister about what he was doing.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Can you imagine? You're at work, you're doing your job and somebody comes in and shoots you. Just...puts a bullet in your head. Nineteen years old." Derek said.

His mind went to Eddie Sousa who was only two years older than the girl, and he couldn't imagine her in this position. Ever since he found out she was the mother of Mark's baby, the two have gotten closer. She was the mother of his little niece, and Mark truly was falling for Eddie. It was amazing how much his best friend, his brother in all but blood, had changed since Eddie and Frankie had come into his life.

"I called her parents, they're on their way. Also..." George started.

"We need to get her into the OR immediately. I mean, the bullet's gone right through the midline." Derek told the intern.

"Also, uh..." George tried to speak again, but Derek interrupted him.

"Look at the size of the hematoma. Also?" Derek asked, suddenly realizing George had been trying to talk to him.

"What?" George asked.

"You said "also" twice." Derek informed the man.

"Yeah. Also, she's pregnant." Derek informed the man, who nodded slowly.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Brad, the annoyingly arrogant manager, had been moved from the hallway into the ER close to where Meredith was with her patient she had with Callie, whom's name was Will.

"Hey, I'm management so I'm 100% covered. So, I could spend a year in this hospital, wouldn't cost me a cent." Brad boasted obnoxiously loud. "That's why, when I told you about management, Chaz, you should've listened to me. Because now you're screwed. Even if you just spend one day in this ER, that's three month's rent."

"Is there any chance you can, please, up my morphine?" Will asked Meredith seriously. He hated Brad and hoped the man would shut up, but like always he was being an arrogant prick.

Brad had no idea he wasn't a manager because of his skill, but because he was the owners son, and that nobody liked him. In fact, they were all under the consensus he was the reason Petey went off the deep end. Or, at least helped him over the edge.

"He keeps talking, pretty soon I'm going to need some." Meredith informed him deadpanned.

"Can you find out about Kendra for me?" Will asked Meredith.

"Are you two friends?" Meredith asked him.

"Not friends, exactly. But, uh, everybody likes her. You know, she's...she's just...she's nice. She'll cover your shift when you need it. She's good with the customers. She's real generous when it comes to tipping busboys." Will said with a small smile.

"Let me guess. You're a busboy?" Meredith guessed.

"I am. Plus, she's the only one that calls Brad on his crap." Will informed her as he glanced over at Brad.

"Well, why don't you say something?" Meredith asked the man.

"Yeah, I wish. I'm saving up to go back to school. I need the job." Will sad sadly.

Callie walked up and noticed that Meredith hadn't seemed to move since she left her almost forty some minutes ago.

"What are you, socializing? I've got five more patients for you to see and Will here needs to get to surgery. Move your ass." Callie barked.

She knew she might be a bit petty here. But, she wasn't going to be nice to someone who made it clear she didn't like her. And, she was a resident while Meredith was an intern, she didn't need to be nice to her. If she wanted to be a bitch, Callie can be a bitch.

Callie walks away and Will gives Meredith knowing a look.

"I need the job." Meredith said, repeating what Will said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Izzie entered Denny's room excitedly, she stopped at the edge of the bed, Denny looked at her confused, trying to figure out why she was so happy. Was it good news happy or dirty happy?

"I have some news for you." Izzie informed him happily.

"Am I getting a better television? Because this one is ridiculously small and it doesn't get the porny channels." Denny said, somewhat seriously, but mostly teasingly as he motioned to the TV he had playing in the background.

"You're getting a heart, Denny." Izzie said.

"I don't mean to be dramatic and all...but I'm going to need you to repeat that. And you say it slow, because this is one of those moments in life that I'm going to want to remember in detail." Denny said to Izzie as his smile got as big and bright as her's.

"You...are getting a heart...from Mercy West. Dr. Burke already left to get it." Izzie informed Denny once again.

"I guess this means I'm going to have to start taking you on some real dates." Denny said excitedly.

"I guess so." Izzie said with a soft smile.

She was looking forwards to it. He was the first man who didn't see her as the pretty girl. But the smart one. And, the feelings she had for him...were nothing like the feelings she had for anyone else.

Maybe he could be the one?

Just then, Richard's assistant, Patricia, entered the room carrying some paperwork for Denny.

"Here we are, Mr. Duquette." Patricia said as she handed him the paperwork and a pen.

"What are they?" Izzie asked curiously about the paperwork.

"DNR papers." Patricia informed the former model.

"Do not resuscitate?" Izzie repeated numbly.

"I'll leave these here and come back." Patricia said, sensing there was going to be some sort of quarrel and left the room.

"Why are you signing there? You're getting a heart." Izzie asked as she looked at Denny shocked and hurt.

He was going to be okay.

Why did he need to sign those papers?

"If this heart doesn't come through for some reason..." Denny started.

"It will." Izzie said.

It will work out. She believed that.

"The last one didn't." Denny reminded her.

"You're on an LVAD. Okay? That could give you another two years right there." Izzie reminded him, desperate for him to live, they were creating plans. She couldn't lose him.

"Izzie...if I don't get this heart...I'm done. I'm...I'm sorry...I'm tired." Denny informed her.

"No. No. I'm not going to let you make this decision. Not now." Izzie said seriously.

How could he be making plans with her, and signing those papers?

"Well, that's funny because I thought DNR was a patient's choice. Listen to me. I believe in heaven, Izzie. And if I had to choose between this life here...and one in heaven...I choose heaven. Okay?" Denny told her seriously. 

Izzie looked at him for a moment before she answered.

"Okay." Izzie finally said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Conrad had been able to remove the two bullets close to the man's heart, though, not without some issue. He coded twice, but the man was a survivor and he was able to come back from both. Rory had found the source of the bleeding in his brain and was working to fix the damage, while Conrad had moved to work on the damage down to the bowels by the bullet.

"How has he survived?" Eddie asked as she looked at the damage the bullet caused. It ripped through his bowels and gut like it was nothing.

"He's a survivor." Conrad agreed as he worked on repairing the damage as well as looking for the bullet. "The bullet's trajectory seems to lead it towards the kidney." 

"Good thing you can live without a kidney, if that is the case." Rory said as she looked up briefly.

Yep, this guy so far has been lucky, a fighter, and hopefully his luck wouldn't run out.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Okay, the x-rays will tell us the location of the bullet." Cristina informed the (former, if Deborah had anything to say about it) couple.

"Mine was a through and through, right? So there's no bullet." Deborah said.

"Yeah, well we wanna make sure it didn't hit bone." Cristina informed the young woman who nodded in understanding.

"However this turns out, I want you to operate on my fiancé first. I don't care if I'm dying." Neal informed her, trying to prove his love to the love of his life.

"You're not dying." Cristina reminded him.

"I'm also not your fiancé anymore." Deborah said, why would she marry someone who would use her for a shield?

"We already sent out the invitations. We're getting married six weeks from now. Deborah, please. I love you." Neal said with puppy dog eyes.

"Oh, don't fall for it." Cristina told the young woman, bitter about the fact that Burke, her boyfriend, had chosen Alex over her.

Over her.

First George, now Alex? All because she fell asleep during sex? Really!

"Excuse me, but..." Neal started to say, but Cristina interrupted him.

"That's how they do it, huh? With the "I love you's" and the "move in with me's" and they suck you in and they melt your resolve. And the minute you actually need something, something you totally deserve, forget it, you know, it's not going to happen. Because they pass you over for surgery or they're gonna duck behind you when someone's shooting." Cristina ranted.

"You're very, very bitter." Deborah said as she examined the older woman with dark eyes. 

"That's exactly what I was thinking. See? We're meant to be together." Neal said, trying to convince his fiancé that they belonged together, and that he was sorry.

"Shut up, Neal." Deborah snapped.

"Mm-hmm." Cristina agreed.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

At Mercy West, Burke and Alex were greeted by one of the doctors on the transplant team as they made their way towards Mercy West's surgical wing.

"Two brothers tried to pass a semi on a double yellow and came out on the losing end of a head-on. Both are a match for your guy." The doctor informed them.

"So we get our pick." Alex said.

"It doesn't work like that. UNOS has already assigned who gets which donor." Burke informed the intern.

"So who's retrieving the other heart?" Alex asked as they approached an arrogant looking blonde woman, with the hospital name badge that said; Erica Hahn.

"Took you long enough, Preston. Why is Junior here? Your ego get too big for one man to carry?" Erica Hahn asked Burke with an arrogant tone. 

"Dr. Hahn here graduated second in our class at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Karev. Ask her who graduated first." Burke said, reminding Erica that she was still second best. The two had always been bitter rivals, and the years since medical school, hadn't changed that one bit.

"God." Erica muttered.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In the scrub room outside of the OR Derek was going to be using for Kendra's surgery, Derek and Addison were talking about Kendra's surgery.

"Kendra's fetus is twelve weeks along. It seems healthy. Did you hear me, Derek?" Addison asked her husband.

"I heard you." Derek said.

"So, you're not gonna tell me what's going on between you and Meredith?" Addison asked once again, hoping her husband for once would tell her the truth.

"I told you. There's nothing to tell." Derek said annoyed, as George entered the scrub room.

"Kendra's parents are here." George informed the dreamy attending.

"Let them know the situation, have them sign the consent forms, then scrub in." Derek informed George who nodded.

"Yes, Dr. Shepherd." George said, excited to get to scrub into surgery.

"Thank you." Derek said to him.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In the Mercy West OR, Alex and Burke entered to see the donor heart was in v-fib. And, Burke was pissed.

"What the hell happened to my donor?" Burke demanded.

"He went into v-fib." The doctor informed Burke.

"I can see that. Give me the paddles. Karev, take over compressions! You gave epi?" Burke questioned demandingly.

"Three rounds and shocked him twice." The doctor informed him.

"I'm going to hit him again at 360. Clear! He's asystolic." Burke said pissed. This was one of the best matches for Denny, and they had just lost it....well....unless he got the heart that Hahn was going to be receiving.

"I don't get it. I mean, if the guy's already dead..." Alex said confused.

"And now his heart has joined the rest of him." Burke spat angrily.

"Hmm. So, we can't use it?" Alex said, disappointed because he would most likely not be able to scrub in on a heart surgery.

"No, Karev, we cannot use it. The muscle is dead. The heart is useless." Burke informed the intern before he runs out of the room.

"Dr. Burke?" Alex called.

"Move, move, move, move, move!" Burke yelled as he ran through the halls towards the operating room where Hahn was.

"Stop right there! Don't move that scalpel! Not even a single slice!" Burke ordered as he entered the operating room.

"Just because your donor's heart died doesn't mean I have to give you mine." Hahn informed Burke condescendingly.

"Is your patient higher on the transplant list? Is he higher on the transplant list?" Burke demanded. He wasn't going to lose the heart if possible. If Denny got on first, he deserved the heart.

"I have no idea." Hahn answered.

"Well, neither do I. Karev, get UNOS on the phone now." Burke ordered the intern who entered shortly behind him.

"Oh, give me a break!" Hahn said exasperated.

A doctor working with Hahn picks up a scalpel.

"Hey! Hey!" Burke ordered.

"What? Are you going to beat him up?" Hahn asked sarcastically.

"If I have to." Burke said honestly.

"Ok, just hold on. It's pathetic, Preston. Really pathetic." Hahn said. 

This was her heart. And, she would fight Preston on this. Her man deserved this more than anyone else. And, she was going to get this heart for him, one way or another.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Callie was looking at the OR Board when Meredith came up and joined her. Callie was annoyed, most of the attendings and other residents kept pushing her ortho surgeries back, and it was annoying. Ortho was just as important and demanding as any of the other specialities. She understood the major traumas like Conrad and Rory's which was tying up OR 1 but, the rest were just as important as her's.

"I've finished all five of your patients. Do you mind if I scrub in? I've never seen an ORIF before." Meredith asked the resident hopeful.

"Can't! The board's all backed up like crazy. Will's gonna have to wait a few hours, because every specialty thinks their surgeries are more important than Ortho. Freaking superior macho jerks." Callie complained.

"Can I ask you a question? About bone cancer." Meredith asked the ortho attending, this would be something she asked Conrad, because he was Eddie's brother, but, he was tied up in surgery.

"Yeah." Callie said with a nod, motioning for the intern to continue.

"In a dog." Meredith said.

"A dog?" Callie repeated shocked.

"My dog. Well, Derek's dog. Do you know Dr. Shepherd? It's our dog. We share the dog, which is...well, never mind. I just wanted to ask if you knew the success rate of curing osteosarcoma in a canine leg?" Meredith rambled.

She needed to know the truth. Was Finn sugar coating how bad off Doc was.

"We have an actual human patient with a bullet lodged in his tibia who might walk with a limp for the rest of his life, who might even conceivably lose his leg, and you're asking me about your precious dog that you share with your precious McDreamy? Yeah, I...I know about him. And you think I care? Unbelievable!" Callie ranted as she walked away.

Leaving Meredith at the OR board with a sad, thoughtful, expression.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was like the Battle of the Gods, as Preston Burke and Erica Hahn battled it out to see who deserved the heart.

"Your guys on an LVAD? He's probably up and walking around. My guy still needs his dobutamine drip." Hahn said to Burke, trying to one-up him as they were on the phone trying to see who was going to get the heart, Denny, or Hahn's patient. 

"That's the best you can do? He can climb Mount Shasta on a dobutamine drip." Burke fired back.

"As of this morning, Dr. Hahn's patient was 22 hundredths of a point ahead." The man on the phone informed the two attendings.

"That's basically a tie." Burke retorted.

"Except that Dr. Hahn's patient was admitted into the transplant program before Mr. Duquette." The man on the phone responded.

"How long before?" Burke asked.

"Seventeen seconds." The man responded.

"Seventeen seconds." Burke repeated. He was going to loose the heart because of a little more than a quarter of a second.

"Might as well be 17 weeks. It doesn't matter." Hahn gloated as Burke's phone rang.

Burke hands the phone to Alex, which Alex knew he wanted him to answer it.

"Hello?" Alex said as he stepped into the hallway.

"Alex? Where's Dr. Burke?" Izzie asked on the other end.

"What do you want?" Alex asked, tensely.

"I wanted to know how the heart recovery is going." Izzie said, she needed to know that Denny was getting the heart and he wasn't going to give up.

She couldn't lose him.

She loved him.

"He's working on it." Alex responded shortly.

"He's working on it? So, he's operating then?" Izzie asked, somewhat hopeful, but by Alex's tone she wasn't so sure.

"There were two donors, Izzie. Our guy's heart flatlined. And now he's trying to get the other guy's." Alex informed Izzie.

"But there's a list." Izzie stated.

"Yes. And the higher guy gets the heart." Alex agreed, that is how the transplant list worked, he wasn't a moron.

"Denny's getting sicker." Izzie suddenly stated. 

She didn't care if she was lying. Denny needed this heart. She needed for him to have this heart.

"What?" Alex asked, if that was true, that would have been the first thing she said.

"Denny's getting worse by the second. His, uh, sats are in the eighties." Izzie informed her ex-boyfriend, hoping he'd buy her lies.

"Izzie." Alex said.

"It's seventies. His sats are now in the seventies and dropping." Izzie continued.

"Izzie, I'm not going to lie for you." Alex informed her.

"Then put Burke on the phone!" Izzie snapped, almost hysterical.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Meredith was sitting in an empty conference room as she looked over and worked on some charts.

"Hey." Addison greeted as she stopped when she saw her husband's ex-girlfriend sitting there.

"Hey." Meredith greeted, trying not to be awkward, they were friends right? Or did they not have to be now that she and Derek were fighting.

"Have you seen Dr. Karev?" She asked. She hadn't seen him in hours and she was getting annoyed.

"Uh...hours ago." Meredith informed her.

Which was true. The last time she saw him he was in the ER looking for those kits.

"Okay." Addison said, sensing that the intern was telling her the truth.

Addison and Meredith smile at each other and Meredith goes back to her work. Addison does not leave, she was weighing the options of learning the truth. But, in the end, she needed to know.

"Sorry. I, uh...I'm not sorry. I just...I'm having a little trouble because I need to ask you something. And I don't usually have trouble. But what I need to ask...I'm not even sure I want the answer to, but I have to ask. So I'm just going to ask you and then you answer and then...uh, I'll go from there, ok?" Addison rambled, as Meredith looked over at her and nodded.

"Okay." Meredith said.

"Are you sleeping with my husband?" Addison asked bluntly.

"Not since before I knew he was married." Meredith informed her honestly.

"Okay." Addison said, relieved, as she starts to leave, but turned back, wondering if Meredith would answer this question as well.

"Except, you know, it just...it felt like in the vet's office this morning, and then again in the elevator...if felt a little like you two were having a lover's quarrel?" Addison said.

"No. We're not. I've moved on. I'm dating Finn." Meredith informed the attending.

"You're dating the vet?" Addison asked as a look of realization came over her face. She finally figured out Derek's bad mood.

"Okay." Addison said after a moment.

"Addison..." Meredith started.

"No, no. Thanks. I'm...I'm good. Thanks. I'm great." Addison said as she walked away.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Flash pulmonary edema? Is it the LVAD? Is the LVAD working?" Burke asked Izzie over the phone, concerned about Denny's sudden change.

"Absolutely." Izzie lied.

"Well, did you put him on a nitro drip?" Burke asked.

"Um, yes. Yes, of course." Izzie said.

She was going to have to figure out how to fabricate these results once they got the heart, because Denny was technically perfectly healthy on the LVAD. She had to think of something fast.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Preston, she could be putting paddles directly on his heart. He's still not getting this thing." Hahn informed Preston, uncaring that Burke's patient had taken a turn for the worse.

"How's his blood pressure?" Burke asked Izzie over the phone, ignoring his rival.

"It's, uh, still dropping. 82 over 40." Izzie informed him.

"Then take him off the drip and put him on dopamine. Now! Don't hang up." Burke ordered and he moved the phone slightly.

"According to my intern, Denny Duquette now qualifies as a 1A candidate for that heart. That puts him ahead of Dr. Hahn's patient." Burke informed the room.

"I'm out of here. This is just crap." Hahn said, she was going to get that heart for her man. Burke and his sick patient be damned.

"Dr. Hahn?" The man on the phone said.

"What?" She snapped.

"If Dr. Burke wants to run labs, do an echo and a BNP to fully ascertain the status of his patient, we'll allow it." The man said.

"That'll take an hour." Hahn pointed out.

"Is the donor stable? Dr. Hahn? Is the donor stable?" The man on the phone asked.

"Yes, the donor is currently stable." Hahn replied through gritted teeth.

"In that case. Dr. Burke, you've got an hour to get those tests." The man informed them.

"Dr. Stevens?" Burke asked into the phone.

"I heard." Izzie said.

She had one hour to do this. Hopefully it will work.

"Good. Get going then." Burke ordered before hanging up.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In Derek's OR things were not going as good as Derek hoped. In fact, they were going south fast.

"BP is 220 over 130." A resident informed Derek.

"The brain's fungating out of the wound." Derek said as he tried to stop the bleeding, but it was extensive.

"What's fungating?" George asked confused.

"Herniating." Derek responded.

"She's bradycardic." A nurse informed him.

"Um, give me 50 mannitol and 20 of furosemide. What's her pulse?" Derek asked as the nurse quickly stepped up to do that.

" Down to 32." The nurse responded.

"Come on, Kendra. Come one. CO2?" Derek asked, hoping he could save her still, by some miracle.

"40." The nurse replied.

"Oh, God. Clot's already evacuated. All right, everybody." Derek said sadly, knowing he had to call it. She was brain dead. There was nothing he could do.

"But..." George started.

"She's brain dead. There's nothing we can do now." Derek informed him.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"There is no spontaneous brain activity and she isn't going to wake up." Derek informed Kendra's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, as they sat in the waiting room.

"Oh, God." Mrs. Thomas cried.

"What about the baby? Is the baby okay?" Mr. Thomas asked, thinking that if the baby was okay, that Kendra could still cary the baby while brain dead and they'd be able to raise their grandchild.

Their little piece of Kendra.

"As far as we can tell, the baby's fine but...that's not the point. Essentially your daughter is dead. We need your consent to remover her from life support." Derek informed the couple.

"What if we kept Kendra alive? Could the baby live?" Mr. Thomas asked, voicing his idea.

"With all due respect, sir, you don't want to do that." George said.

"Are you part of this family? Do you have a daughter? If you don't, you really ought to just shut up!" Mr. Thomas snapped at the younger man.

"Our daughter could have this baby?" Mrs. Thomas asked hopeful.

Oh boy.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A nurse was stitching up Brad, as he continued to boast. This time about his pain tolerance.

"You know, even with all these cuts, I don't feel any pain. I swear, I have the highest pain threshold of anybody I know." Brad informed the nurse, trying to impress her, but she looked anything but.

Bailey walks up to Will's bedside, who is watching Brad from afar.

"God! If I could say something to that guy and not get fired..." Will said.

"He can't fire me." Bailey said, having enough of Brad, walks over to him.

Despite her short stature she commanded respect and radiated authority. 

"Uh, Mr. Eckles? Brad? Uh, I'm happy for you that you're not feeling much pain from your very minor injuries. But there are a great many people in this hospital who are in a great amount of pain. See, they have bullets in their bones, in their chests, and in their brains. Bullets from a gun that was aiming for you. And although they can't say it because you are the boss of them, most of these people at this moment are praying...not that they'll live, not that the pain will subside, they're praying to God for you at this moment to shut the heck up!" Bailey ranted sounding like a mother scolding her child into submission.

 Bailey walks away, not even looking back to see the stunned look on Brad's face. As she walks by Will he mouths thank you.

"No problem." Bailey said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie who had just finished almost a six hours long surgery was sitting on an unused bed in a quieter hallway of the hospital with her two persons; Meredith and Cristina. Eddie was resting her eyes after quickly drinking  smoothie that she had bought and was now resting her eyes as her friends talked.

"Karev. He stood there and chose that moron over me." Cristina complained.

"I just finished a six hour surgery and the guy is circling the drain, Conrad, Rory, and I might have to go back into another surgery in a few hours." Eddie said. "And, I am so tired. Frankie kept me up half the night as well, she finally feels better and I think quadrupled in energy." 

"I mean, I'm trying to help the dog and he's standing there talking about putting the dog down. Like Doc means nothing." Meredith said.

It didn't matter that the three friends were having three separate conversations, they were ranting and listening to each other. And, that was all that mattered.  

"He's not rewarding Karev, he's punishing me." Cristina said.

"And I miss Mark." Eddie said. "He said he was coming to Seattle for a visit. I want him here. But, every time he leaves it hurts. I miss him so much. I need him here. Frankie needs him here." 

"And he hates Finn. Who, by the way, is great with dogs." Meredith complained.

"You know, he withholds surgery when I'm a bad girlfriend. It's his M.O. I mean, how controlling and macho and petulant is that?" Cristina complained.

"At least he's not shooting people or putting down dogs." Meredith said.

"Or living in a completely different state, where phone calls can only do so much." Eddie said, as her pager went off.

"911" Eddie groaned, "it's the guy circling the drain...I'll see you both later. Don't do anything stupid while I am gone, okay?" Eddie said as she pushed herself out between her two friends who nodded noncommittally, and they watched in slight amazement that suddenly, like she had this random burst of energy she was off towards the ER.

When Eddie was gone, Izzie came up to them, trying to figure out what she had to do. She had hoped to find Eddie here, hoping she would be able to think of something, but Meredith and Cristina were the next best idea.

"I'm dumping him. This relationship is so over." Cristina said, knowing that it wasn't true. She loved Burke, and she wouldn't break up with him.

"Um, I...I told a lie...to Dr. Burke." Izzie said.

"Good for you. Fight the power." Cristina said tiredly.

"No, no. I need...um...God, I can't think. I...I can't...I don't know what to do. What do I do? There's this guy ahead of Denny of the transplant list." Izzie informed them, unsure of how to explain what she was doing.

"He'll get the next heart, Iz." Meredith tried to cheer up her friend and roommate.

"No! He needs to get this heart!" Izzie all but yelled.

"He'll probably get a heart at some point, but as long as Denny's doing well on the LVAD and there's someone ahead of him on the transplant list, he's not going to get this heart. Okay?" Cristina asked.

Neither of her friends saw the look of revelation on her face. They were to involved in what was going on in their lives at the moment.

"Yes. You're right. Okay. Thank you. Thank you." Izzie said as she walked away, plan in mind. 

She leaves the two tired interns to sit as she starts grabbing supplies.

About five minutes later, Cristina and Meredith watched as Izzie rolled a crash cart towards Denny's room with a look of determination on her face.

"Ok, if I was going to pick someone who was gonna go psycho and shoot up the place...it's Izzie." Cristina whispered, knowing that if Eddie was with her, she'd agree.

"Totally." Meredith confirmed with a nod, as they tried to figure out what the hell Izzie was trying to do. But, before they could get farther, they were both paged by their resident or attending they were working for.

Life of an intern, it never ends.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Izzie enters Denny's room with a crash cart and other supplies. She had an idea and now, she needed to get Denny on board.

"What's all that?" Denny asked Izzie confused.

"Heart stuff." Izzie said, stating the obvious.

"What? So you're gonna put this heart in me in my room? I didn't know transplants were so informal." Denny teased, trying to lighten the strange mood and tension Izzie seemed to be radiating.

"There may not be a heart, Denny. Somebody at Mercy West might get it instead." Izzie informed him, panicked.

"So this isn't going to happen...again?" Denny asked disappointedly.

"Not necessarily. I have been over this and over this and it can't be a lie and it can't be fake. We need charts, we need test results. We need UNOS to believe us. So it has to be real." Izzie informed the man she loved.

"What are you talking about, Izzie?" Denny demanded.

"In order for you to get the heart, you would have to get worse. Much worse. And you would have to do it very quickly." Izzie informed him seriously.

"Well, I don't see that happening. You see that happening?" Denny asked, not knowing what Izzie was coming up with in her head.

"I am going to make it happen." Izzie informed him.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"It's been 30 minutes already. Is Stevens answering her page?" Burke asked Alex as he entered the OR.

"She probably busy getting test results." Alex said.

"Did you call Bailey?" Burke asked.

"Well, she's not answering either." Alex said truthfully. Bailey hadn't answered the phone, and he had half a mind to call Eddie, to see if she could get ahold of someone, but she was in the OR the last he heard and her dude seemed pretty bad.

But, there was a part of him, who hoped Izzie did pull this off so he could get the surgery. And, honestly, he still cared for her, and wanted to help her. How twisted was that?

"You can check the chart all you want. You're not getting this heart." Hahn said.

"Well, you may not want it. His angiogram shows 30% LAD." Burke informed her, knowing that if Denny kept trending this way, he'd get the heart no matter what.

"It's still not enough to give it to you." Hahn said. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Izzie closed the blinds to Denny's room. She couldn't have anyone seeing or coming in.

"Izzie. Izzie, stop and listen to me. We're not doing this." Denny tried to stop her.

"Don't worry. You're not going to die. I will be here the whole time to make sure of that and that's what this stuff is for." Izzie said motioning to all the things she had brought into Denny's room.

"This isn't about me dying. All right? This is wrong." Denny said, trying to talk her out of this, but she seemed to be adamant.

"You've waited a year and a half to get this thing. Who knows when the next one is gonna come along?" Izzie said.

"I'll take my chances." Denny said.

"No! it may be too late by then." Izzie said.

He signed a DNR. He told her that if he didn't get this heart it may be it. He was giving up. She wasn't going to give up.

"Then it's too late! All right? Now, get this stuff out of here!" Denny ordered, hoping that his tone would shock Izzie out of whatever this was.

"Denny, please. You have to do this." Izzie begged.

"No, Izzie. I'm not about to steal a heart from another man's chest. Not to mention, this will be the end of your medical career." Denny said, he knew how much this meant to her. She was a doctor, she was studying to be a surgeon.

She can't do this, because she'd lose everything for him.

He couldn't have her doing that. No matter how much he wanted to be with her.

"I don't care about my medical career." Izzie cried.

How could he not see that she loved him? That she needed him!

"All right, you know what? This has gone on long enough. I'm gonna call a nurse." Denny said, but Izzie stopped him.

"Everyone who is entered into the transplant program is clocked in to the second. To the second. Denny, you were clocked in to the second and so was the other guy. I checked with UNOS. The difference between when you entered the program and when he entered the program is 17 seconds." Izzie said.

"That's it, Denny. Seventeen seconds. I mean, it's not even the length of a decent kiss. So this other guy? I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve this heart. I'm sure he does. But so do you. So do you! And if you tell me any more crap about heading towards the light or looking down on me from heaven, I swear I will kill you myself, right now." Izzie was crying now. She needed him to understand that this could work, that he needed this heart.

"Izzie. I'm gonna be all right. All right? You don't have to worry." Denny promised.

"What about me? What about me when you go to the light?" Izzie asked.

"Izzie..."

'No! I get it, ok? I get it. You'll be ok. You'll be fine, but what about me? So don't do it for yourself. Do it for me! Please! Please, Denny! Please do this for me! Because if you die...Oh, God you have to do this. You have to do this for me or I'll never be able to forgive you!" Izzie said, getting more and more hysterical.

"For dying?" denny asked.

"No! For making me love you! Please! Please do this for me." Izzie begged.

"Come here." Denny said as he motioned for her to come to his side.

"Okay? Please! Ok? I can't do this if you don't. Please do this for me! Because if you don't do this...Please!" Izzie begged.

"Okay. Okay, I'll do it." Denny soothed as he held in his arms. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Callie and George were walking through the halls, as Callie complained to George about the conversation she and Meredith had at the OR board.

"I'm in the middle of analyzing an X-ray and your friend Meredith starts asking me about her dog. Her dog. George, she wants a medical opinion about her dog." Callie complained.

"She likes her dog." George defend Meredith.

"Why are you defending Meredith?" Callie asked, hurt.

"What?" George asked.

"I get Izzie. I mean, I don't. But if you want to defend Izzie, that's fine. I don't get how you can defend Meredith." Callie said.

"Hey! We're interns. We all started out together, Meredith, Izzie, Cristina, Eddie, and me. We started out together." George said.

"George, that woman hurt you as badly as anyone can be hurt. You were devastated when I met you." Callie reminded him, remembering the lost and sad aura George had when they met when she set his arm back into socket.

"Hey. They're family. Izzie and Meredith, Eddie, and Cristina they're...they're my family. I can hate Meredith and I can be angry at her but I'll always defend her." George informed Callie.

He may be angry at Meredith, but they were family. Family made up in the end. And, he would defend them, even to his girlfriend.

"So, you don't have to forgive Meredith but I do?" Callie asked.

"If you want a chance to be part of the family, yeah." George said seriously.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Dr. Burke. Hello." Izzie said as she answered the phone.

"Stevens. Where the hell have you been? Have you got the lab results?" Burke demanded.

"Um...I'm working on that." Izzie said.

"Stevens, I need answers. Stevens?" Burke said as he waited for Izzie's response.

"You should get back here. With the heart. As soon as you can." Izzie informed the attending.

"What the hell are you...what are you talking about?" Burke asked, trying to figure out what Izzie was doing and what was going on.

Something was going on and Burke wasn't sure what it was, but it felt ominous.

"Preston." Izzie said.

"Izzie, what did you do?" Burke demanded.

" Soon as I get confirmatory tests and labs to raise Denny's UNOS status, I will fax them over to you. Then you should waste no time getting back here. Because I don't know enough to know how long Denny will have once I start." Izzie informed him, almost to calm and collected.

"Start? What did you do, Izzie? What did you do?" Burke demanded, but he wasn't going to get an answer.

"I'm going to hang up now. Just hurry." Izzie demanded before ending the call.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"According to my intern, Denny Duquette is in pulmonary edema. He has been intubated and placed on multiple IV drips." Burke said as he entered the OR where Hahn was with the other doctors waiting for an update.

"So, Preston gets the heart. Great, let's open this guy." The other guy said.

"However, given this unusual situation and out of respect to Dr. Hahn, I'd like to confirm those results." Burke said.

"You just did." Alex said, trying to figure out what Burke was doing.

"In person. I want to confirm them in person." Burke said, whatever Izzie was doing, he needed to figure it out and stop it.

"Are you kidding? By the time you get there, it'll be another hour. What are you up to, Burke? Why don't you just talk to your chief? Confirm the results with him." Hahn asked.

"Well, because of the shootings today...at the restaurant. All our attendings are still in surgery." Alex said, jumping in.

"Exactly. Now, if you'd prefer, or I can just call UNOS and have them give me the heart. Or I can go and make sure that it really belongs to me." Burke said with a knowing look.

"Go." Hahn ordered.

"Thank you." Burke said.

Burke and Alex start to leave, and Burke gave Alex strict orders.

"I'm going back to Seattle Grace. You stay here and protect my heart. If that woman so much as looks at a scalpel, tackle her. Do you understand?" Burke asked.

"Yes, sir." Alex said.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Hey, you got a minute?" Derek asked when he found his wife in the hallway walking by him.

"You ready to talk?" Addison asked.

"Uh, my patient, Kendra Thomas. She's brain dead. Her parents want to keep her alive to have the baby." Derek informed her.

"So, you want me to talk to the parents?" Addison questioned as Derek nodded.

"Well, I tried already, but I figured, you know, you're neonatal, you might have a better shot at it than I do." Derek explained.

"Okay." Addison said.

"It's just that you could give the a much more detailed picture..." Derek continued, trying to get Addison to do it, not realizing she had agreed.

"I said I'd do it." Addison cut him off.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Addison and Derek stood in Kendra's hospital room and tried to talk to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, to give them a clearer picture of what was going to happen. The chances of the baby surviving weren't great.

"Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, Dr. Shepherd asked me to talk to you about your daughter and her pregnancy." Addison said.

"We've made up our mind. She's having the baby." Mr. Thomas said sternly.

"I know Kendra meant the world to you and I know the terrible grief you must be going through right now, but from a medical standpoint, this is a very bad idea." Addison informed the grieving parents.

"Well, if we'd wanted your opinion, miss, we'd ask for it." Mr. Thomas snapped.

"It's just...we love our daughter. Please try to understand." Mrs. Thomas said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I do understand. I do. You think if you love her enough or love her baby enough that it will keep her close to you. But she's already gone and if you go forward with this, you're risking...I mean, if Kendra, were to contract an infection, she could pass it on to the fetus and it could cause brain damage..." Addison started, but was cut off.

"We're taking our chances." Mr. Thomas said.

"Now...they keep organ donors alive after they're...gone. Why not Kendra?" Mrs. Thomas asked, not seeing why the doctors were trying to talk them out of this.

"Organ donors aren't kept alive for six months. Your daughter is brain dead. She can't regulate body temperature, hormone output. These things are very important for a fetus." Addison said.

"You guys can regulate that stuff, right?" Mr. Thomas asked.

"We could try. I..." Addison started, but wasn't able to finish because of Mr. Thomas.

"Well then try, damn it! What the hell's the problem here?" Mr. Thomas demanded.

"The problem, as I see it, is you want to use your daughter's corpse as an incubator. That's the problem." Addison snapped, finally having enough.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Would you excuse us?" Derek asked as he all but dragged Addison out of the hospital room.

"That's the problem." Addison said, but then stopped when she was dragged out of the room.

"What? What? Derek what are you doing? Derek?" Addison said.

"They just lost their daughter." Derek said as they stopped in the middle of the hallway, a bit away from Kendra's room.

"I know. That was my point, Derek. They need to face that. She's not coming back." Addison said.

"A little sensitivity would be nice here, okay? They love their daughter. They don't want to let go." Derek reminded her, trying to figure out what was wrong with his wife, who was usally more in touch with her empathetic side.

"What they're doing is not about love, Derek. It's...it's...well, it's like you." Addison said, now that the flood gates were open, she was gushing out anger.

"Excuse me?" Derek asked shocked.

"Like how you pretend to love me, but really you're just using me to fill some need you have to be a good guy." Addison continued.

"Now is not the time to talk about this. We'll talk about this later." Derek said, as he started to walk away.

"You walk away? That's all I get?" Addison demanded as Derek stopped and turned back to him.

"Just calm down, please." Derek begged.

"What? What? You're not going to yell at me? Call me names? Or I don't know...ignore me in an elevator." Addison demanded loudly.

"What do you want from me, Addison?" Derek asked.

"I want you to care! I sleep with one of your best friends and you walk away. He comes out here from New York and rubs it in your face, and still you get a good night's sleep. What do I have to do? Oh! I know. Maybe what I should do is go out on a date with the vet. Because that seems to something that sends you into a blind rage. Oh, but wait. That won't work either because I'm not Meredith Grey!" Addison all but screams.

Derek nods his head towards the floor below. Addison looks and sees Meredith, Cristina, Chief Webber, and numerous other medical personnel watching and listening to their fight below. She hadn't realized they had gotten this far from Kendra's room. 

They seemed to witness the whole scene, much to her embarrassment.

Derek walked away leaving her standing there alone and embarrassed.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"I know this is a bad time, but have you decided, do you still want to go ahead with the baby?" George asked the couple as he came to check on Kendra's vitals.

"We haven't decided on anything." Mr. Thomas said.

"Sir? You asked me before if I had a daughter. I don't. but I have a family. I...actually have a couple families. The thing about families, you don't necessarily like what they do. Their choices and their decisions. But you stick by them. Right now one of my friend, her boyfriend is dying. Heart failure. He's thirty-six. I checked Kendra's driver's license, she's a donor. She's not a match for him, but she could save a dozen other lives. And from what I know about Kendra, what I've heard, I gotta believe that if she had the choice between where she is right now and saving a dozen other people, she'd save those people. That would be her decision. So the question is...whether you stick by her one last time. Excuse me." George said as he walked out of the room, letting the words sink into Kendra's parents.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"You paged?" Meredith asked as she entered the viewing room, where Callie was looking at some X-Rays.

"Yeah. There are, um, these are X-rays of a human with an osteosarcoma on his tibia. It's the closest I could get to mirroring what's actually happening to your dog. In this patient, the cancer was aggressive. And it spread quickly and he died when it finally metastasized on his lungs." Callie said motioning to the X-Rays.

"The human died?" Meredith asked shocked.

"Yes. The human died." Callie confirmed.

Doc was going to die. She needed to talk to Finn, and find out the truth. She needed to know. She couldn't loose him.

The problem was, Meredith didn't know if the him was Doc or Derek. Or both.

"Thank you, Callie." Meredith thanked the resident sincerely.

"You're welcome, Meredith." Callie said with a slight smile.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"We haven't forgotten you, Will. We'll get you to the OR as soon as possible." Bailey promised after getting out of her own surgery she preformed about ten minutes ago.

"My friend, Kendra...Dr. Grey said that if anybody had any information they'd give me, they would let me know as soon as possible." Will said, hoping she was alright.

"Okay, I'm sorry." Bailey said sorry, and Will knew that Kendra was dead.

Brad walked up to the pair, more reserved and actually looking regretful. Something Will had never seen before.

"I'm gonna get you some time off, man. I'm gonna talk to the owner, make sure they keep your job for you, you know. It's not your fault you got shot. Not my fault either. You know, I...I didn't...I didn't pull the trigger. Petey had the gun. I'm just saying. People blame management, but we do the best we can. I mean, I...I do the best I can." Brad said before walking away.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It had been a long, hard, surgery, but the man that they had been working on all day, was going to be okay. He was going to survive. Well, he had a much higher percentage now than he did a few hours ago. There had been some damage to the kidney that they hadn't seen, because of how the bullet hit it, it pooled in a different area. The man was without a kidney, but at least he was going to survive.

"Good job today." Conrad said to the two woman. "Go relax for a while. We deserve it." 

"Don't need to tell me twice." Rory said with a grin. "I'm going to go home before anyone pages me. Milo and I might even get some take-out."

"Sounds like a good night." Eddie said with a smile. "I am stuck here for a few more hours. I might go get some fresh air soon. Then go lay down somewhere and pass out maybe."

"That is my plan. I'm working tonight as well. So I am going to go sleep when I can. Ed, can you check on our guy in about an hour?" Conrad asked.

"Of course." Eddie said, "go get some shut eye."

Conrad nodded as the three went their separate ways. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Richard Webber found Addison in a hallway a few minutes after the confrontation.

"I know what you're going to say, Richard, but if you knew that day that I had..." Addison started to apologize.

"Everybody in this hospital has those days, Addison. And no one makes a scene in front of their peers. Get it together. Addison." Webber reminded the attending.

"I can't compete. He's not having an affair. He's not trying to hurt me. He's just...the only people who don't know Derek loves Meredith are Derek and Meredith. How do I compete with that?" Addison asked Richard lost and hurt.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

So what makes anger different from the six other deadly sins?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Derek and Meredith are in the elevator, and the tension was thick. He looked at Meredith then turned away. A moment later she looked at Derek then turns away. Derek opened his mouth to say something but changes his mind, closing his mouth as they both waited for the elevator door to open. 

When they do, they walked out without another word.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It's pretty simple really. You give in to a sin like envy or pride then you only hurt yourself.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Callie and George were in the intern locker room, talking.

"I love you." Callie admitted as George just looks at her. 

"I'm sorry. I'm...I...I didn't mean to...I just...I...I have verbal diarrhea and I'm a moron. What are you thinking? Are you freaking out or...?" Callie started to ramble wondering if she just ruined everything.

George didn't answer because Izzie entered looking frantically for George.

"George, I need your help. I wouldn't ask if it weren't important. It's..." Izzie said.

"Okay." George said, noticing there was something truly wrong with Izzie.

"I'll call you? Later?" George asked Callie who nodded.

"Sure." She agreed, feeling concerned and worried that George was pulling away.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie made her way outside to get some fresh air, after stopping by the nursery to see Frankie who was fast asleep. She pulled out her phone and saw Mark had called and left a message.

Eddie clicked on it, and listened to the message, with a smile on her face.

"Hey Sweetheart, it is me. I was just checking in on you. I just wanted to let you know that I miss you and Frankie. And, I am going to be in town soon, next week, and I have some exciting news to tell you....I'm going to leave you in suspense. Something to look forwards to. Tell Frankie I love her..." Mark said "and I really miss you Eddie. So much." 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"You need my help for an EKG?" George asked confused as he followed Izzie into Denny's room.

"No. Come." Izzie said.

"Okay, after I do this, I might have to shock you a few times." Izzie informed Denny who nodded.

"Do what?" George asked confused.

"You feeling good?" Izzie asked Denny, ignoring George.

"I think so. Explain this to me again." Denny said.

"Okay, the LVAD has been inserted into your abdomen and is connected to your heart. This cord leads to the power source, this one is connected to the pump that pumps your heart for you. I have the crash cart, the defibrillator, the Ambu bag, saline..." Izzie explained.

"Do what, Izzie?" George asked again, this time more concerned.

"Um, I feel like we should say stuff. Denny, do you want to say stuff?" Izzie said, ignoring George, her focus was only on Denny.

"Kiss me. Right here." Denny demanded as they kissed.

"Izzie, that kiss was worth 1,000 words." Denny informed her seriously.

"A picture. A picture is worth a 1,000 words." Izzie corrected.

"You're gonna correct me at a time like this?" Denny asked her with a smile.

" don't mean to be intrusive..." George said again, this time Izzie addressed him.

"Just give me a second, George." Izzie said.

"Okay, are you ready?" Izzie asked Denny.

"As I'll ever be." Denny said as Izzie picks up the scissors.

"Wait. What are you doing?" George asked, trying to figure out what in the hell was going on.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Eddie." Burke said, when he saw the youngest intern relaxing in the ambulance bay, sitting on the bench there.

"Oh hey Dr. Burke, you didn't get the heart?" Eddie asked as she noticed the lack of cooler in his hand.

"Uh..no. Have you seen Stevens today?" Burke asked her.

"At the beginning of my shift. But, not since then. I've been in surgery for hours." Eddie said as Burke nodded.

"Why?" Eddie asked concerned. "Is there something wrong?"

Before Burke could say anything gunshots could be heard.

Eddie watched a man, Brad, fall to the ground, while a young couple ducked back into the hospital. The man ducking behind the woman, who squealed about them being over.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Try lust or coveting and you'll only hurt yourself, and probably one or two others. But anger...anger is the worst.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie watched in horror as the gunmen aimed his gun at them. He shot Preston first, Burke fell to the ground, Eddie raced to the man, trying to check his wound when she fell when she felt pain go through her leg.

"Ah!" She cried as she watched the man raise his gun at her once again, and she closed her eyes, waiting for the next blow, only to heard the gun, but no pain. She opened her eyes, to see the man laying on the ground.

Despite her pain, Eddie with something akin to Herculean strength moved the few feet between her and Burke, despite the pain in her leg, she knew she was shot but, she needed to make sure Burke was okay, blood had quickly pooled around him.

She wiped her hands on her scrub pants, whipped off her scrub top, luckily she was wearing a green shirt underneath and pressed it to Burke's wounds.

"Preston! Preston! Burke! Stay with me." Eddie begged, as her shirt soaked up a lot of his blood. She just hoped they were okay.

"Eddie..." Burke said, "Cristina."

"Yeah. I'll get Cristina. Stay with me." Eddie begged.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"What was that? Were those gunshots?" Bailey asked as she raced out towards where the sound came, to see Deborah and Nolan yelling, and she ignored them exiting the hospital.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The mother of all sins.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Petey." Will said, having heard the gunshots as well.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Denny. If there really is some kind of big glowy light..." Izzie started.

"I'll try like hell to stay out of it." Denny finished promising her as she smiled.

"Exactly." Izzie said.

"I don't like that sound of this." George spoke up. He had no clue what was going on, but he knew it was nothing good.

He knew he should be doing something, but he couldn't move. It was like his feet were glued to the floor.

"Just make sure nobody comes through that door." Izzie informed him.

"What are you doing?" George asked again.

"I'm stopping his heart, George." Izzie informed the shocked and freaked out George.

WHAT!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Not only can anger drive you over the edge, when it does, you can take an awful lot of other people with you.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bailey runs outside and found Brad first. She bends down to check Brad's pulse. He is dead.

"HELP!" Eddie cried.

"Eddie?" Bailey asked as she looked around and her eyes winded in shock as she saw Eddie holding something to a person sprawled out on the ground and she raced over to her quicker than she had ever moved before.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Izzie." George said trying to stop her.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Oh god!" Bailey said when she saw it was Burke that Eddie was holding her scrub top to.

"Miranda! Thank god. Burke's been shot!" Eddie said, "and...so have I." 

Bailey's eyes looked down towards Eddie's leg and saw blood pooling around it. Oh god. One of her favorite interns, her friend, had been shot. As well as one of the best attendings she worked under.

"HELP!" Bailey called as she went to check on Eddie, since the young intern had the attending.

"Somebody help!" Bailey yelled loudly. Luckily, someone heard, and help quickly rushed towards them.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In Denny's room, Izzie and Denny are looking at each other lovingly.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Swarmed by doctors and other emergency personnel, Eddie was being moved to a gurney, while being looked over, while the others worked on moving Burke.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"It's okay. Burke will be here any minute." Izzie said, before she cut the LVAD wire. 

Then, the only sound in the room was the sound of flatlining.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 46 7
γ…€γ…€βœ§ ⋆ ΰ£ͺ. οΎŸβ‚Š ΰΌ‰γ…€ π’Žπ’†π’†π’• π’Žπ’† π’Šπ’ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’‘π’π’–π’“π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’“π’‚π’Šπ’, π’Œπ’Šπ’”π’” π’Žπ’† 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’”π’Šπ’…π’†π’˜π’‚π’π’Œ, π’•π’‚π’Œπ’† π’‚π’˜π’‚π’š 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’‘π’‚π’Šπ’ w...
1.3K 56 9
❝i love you, it's ruining my life❞ ౨ৎ 𝐒𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, aurora grey starts her internship at the same hospital as where her oldest sister works, mere...
25.5K 685 22
"You were like coming up for fresh air. It was like I was drowning and you saved me." ~Derek Shepherd Melissa Gordon is a surgical intern at Seattle...
29.7K 843 35
"But he's Evil Spawn." "Don't you think I know that. I didn't wake up one day and suddenly decide I was going to be in love with Alex Karev." Being t...