The Kane Cross (Cross 1)

By pseudoannie

(Complete)According to family lore, the Kane Cross will make the person in possession fall in true, lasting l... More

The Kane Cross
1 - Baxter
2 - Ivy
3 - Aspen
4 - A deal
5 - Never happened
6 - Borrowed time
7 - Home
8 - Night out
9 - Heiress
10 - First day
11 - Summer party
12 - No fairytales
13 - Silly
14 - Invite
15 - Date night
17 - Dance
18 - Feedback
19 - Lies
20 - Jimmy
21 - Sinclair
22 - Jealous
23 - Princess
24 - Cost of living
25 - Picnic
26 - Great man
27 - Fairy Tales
28 - No excuses
29 - Unconditional love
30 - The board
31 - The city
32 - Dinner and show
33 - Mile high
34 - Siblings
35 - Break up
36 - Real world
37 - Frozen food
38 - First
39 - Need me
40 - Thin ice
41 - Mystery girl
42 - Everything
43 - Trust
44 - Ellie
45 - Romcom
46 - The hill
47 - Doubt
48 - Fire
49 - Lunch
50 - Family
51 - Dad
52 - Sweet home
53 - Surprises
54 - Forever

16 - Twentieth floor

741 127 40
By pseudoannie

Every day when Ivy stepped out onto the fourteenth floor, Eleanor greeted her. "Our ray of sunshine."

"I don't feel like sunshine."

"You cheer up the department. Even Brad looks happier."

Bradley was a middle-aged man in the middle of a divorce. The poor guy was blindsided and told anyone who would listen that she should have told him she was unhappy for the last ten years."

Ivy had confided in Eleanor. "My parents are miserable too."

"Sweetheart, my offer still stands. You can rent my extra room cheap. My commute is a breeze, only a few stops on the train or if you drive with your parking perk."

"You just want me to drive. I'll be done in four weeks."

"But you'll still be in Boston."

"Why do you want me so badly?"

"Because I'm lonely."

Ivy whispered. "Brad is single."

Eleanor laughed. "I don't think so. I'm too old for him and not that lonely." She lowered her voice. "I bet he's the type who leaves his black socks on..."

"While doing it!" Ivy put her hands on her cheeks.

"Well, yes that too, but I was going to say with sandals."

Ivy laughed as she walked to her office. She had done projects for each of the lawyers in the small department. It felt bittersweet, because she couldn't stay even if they asked her. Emotionally, she needed separation from the Kanes, although she wouldn't stop being friends with Tate. They had been friends without involving her family until she foolishly agreed to go to the wedding and then Aspen.

Deep into a contract, she jumped when Eleanor stood at her door. "Danielle called. They need you upstairs."

"Upstairs?"

"In Baxter's office."

She gulped. "Why?"

"It's not my job to ask."

Each step felt like her shoes were made of lead. The twentieth floor looked different with its large offices and open space. In the middle, there was a large boardroom with glass double doors.

Dani stood by the elevator. "I can't thank you enough for filling in for me."

"What? Why?" She had a frog in her throat and butterflies in her belly.

"I, um, I have to leave. It's personal, and Baxter has an important meeting. He needs someone he trusts to take notes, and he agreed when I suggested you." She thrusted a pad and pen at her.

"He did?"

"Ivy, Baxter Kane is careful who he trusts, and you made the cut. You'll do fine." She pointed to a door.

Ivy saw him at his desk with his phone to his ear. Her heart stopped before it resumed at record speed. She approached his office, but he continued talking as if she didn't exist. His tone gave her goosebumps. It was cliche, but he was a man who knew what he wanted in the boardroom and the bedroom.

He hung up the phone and looked at her for a long time. Her legs felt like rubber as she waited for him to speak. "Come in, Ivy. Thanks for helping." He pointed to a seat in the corner.

She sat and waited while he typed on his keyboard. He looked up. "Outside at the printer. Can you get the paper?"

She stood and walked to the printer across from his door, beside Dani's desk. As she approached his desk, he put a hand up. "It's for you. Those are my objectives. You need to record the union's objectives. It's hard to keep focus and remember the details."

"So you aren't perfect."

He scoffed. "Far from it. Did I say I was?"

She shrugged. "It must be an illusion I fabricated."

He stared at her for a moment and she felt naked. "I'd be curious to hear more about your illusion later." He looked at his watch.

"Your girlfriend wouldn't like it."

He cleaned his throat. "I said later." His hazel eyes pierced into hers. She nodded slightly.

Two men arrived wearing suits that looked inferior compared to Baxter's. She watched as he stood and shook their hands. His height stood out compared to the guests.

Baxter smiled. "Thanks for coming, gentlemen. Ms. Krasinski is here to take notes for me." She gave a weak smile. Baxter continued. "Perhaps we could start by reviewing each side's major sticking points. By all means go first."

She wrote as the men spoke. It was as if she were sitting in a lecture and writing what the professor said. Only she had to be careful not to look at Baxter or she would lose her focus.

After they listed their concerns, Baxter surprised her. "I apologize I didn't offer you anything. My assistant is out, and she reminded me to be a respectable host." Then he pressed a button. "Donna, could you come in and offer my guests drinks?"

Ivy smirked. She didn't believe he forgot, but was uncertain of his tactic. As the older woman took the drink requests, she turned to Ivy. "And for you."

"Just some water. Thank you."

She hadn't expected to be served. If she had known what he needed her for, she would have brought her refillable water bottle. Drinks on the twentieth floor came in glasses with ice. As soon as the men had their glasses of Coke, Baxter started on his requests. She found some stingy and others reasonable. To the side, she wrote reasonable accommodations for each, balancing one need for another.

Once they finished their list, Baxter said, "Can we agree to work towards agreement on one issue for each of us today?"

How long was the meeting? The men nodded. "Paid time off." The discussion began. It was fascinating, but she often sided with the union. Eventually, Ivy cleared her throat. She needed a break and both men must too.

"A five-minute break gentlemen."

They nodded and stood. Once they left, Baxter said, "Shut the door, Ivy."

"I need to go." She pointed.

"In a moment." She shut the door. "Your face is very expressive. If you have an opinion, I'd like to hear it."

"You would?"

He nodded. "I'm always interested in what you say."

Her belly flipped. "You don't understand the importance of paid time off. It's not for vacations. Working people take time off when their child is sick, or school is closed for a day. Some have elderly parents that need them from time to time. Some workers will abuse it, especially if you don't allow it to carry over. Parents will save their days like a rainy day fund."

"So you are advocating for the carryover."

"I am, but as a concession they should have the same holidays the corporate employees have."

He smiled. "How many more were they asking for?"

"Three. What's Evacuation Day?"

"Ask my ancestors. It has to do with the Revolutionary war, but it's a farce because it falls on St. Patrick's Day."

"I know how that's celebrated."

"So you're suggesting we concede the time off, but reduce the holidays." He smiled and her knees wobbled.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Please don't smile. I have to." She pointed to the door.

"Go."

She walked out of his office and smiled at the men who had their heads together. In the mirror, she reminded herself. "He's not yours."

As she stepped back into his office, he said, "I played in high school." He looked at her. "Are you ready, Ms. Krasinski?"

His tone sounded harsh even though she hadn't caused the delay. She nodded and crossed her legs. If only he would say come for me, Ms. Krasinski. As he looked at her, a slight smile meant he saw her pink cheeks.

The men left happy with two points ironed out, but the list was long. "Thank you. My father will be glad to hear I've made progress." She stepped forward with her notes. He motioned her to a seat in front of his desk. She sunk into it. "I'd like your opinions on the other issues."

"Me?"

"Yes, Ivy, you."

"Um, okay."

"Not now. I have another meeting, but take a copy of the notes and think about it."

She nodded. "Okay."

"I trust you, but they are confidential." She nodded again and didn't stand. "Was there something else?"

"I keep saying no to your mother's party, but Tate keeps insisting. Even Dani insisted. I think she knows something."

He nodded. "I trust Danielle and I trust you. I think we can attend the same party." She nodded as she stood. "I heard you're wearing one of my sister's dresses. I'm certain you'll be beautiful."

Her mouth went dry. "I-oh." She stood and ran to the elevator.

"Ivy! You forgot the notes."

She walked back to him in his doorway. As she reached for the papers, their fingers brushed and his hazel eyes turned brown. She stood at the copy machine and tried to slow her breathing. It was nearly impossible because she knew he stood watching, even though she refused to turn around. When the copies came out, she had to give him the originals.

Ivy slowly turned and was surprised to see he moved out of his doorway. As she stepped in the office, the door closed and in one motion Baxter pinned her against the door looking down at her. She swallowed dry air.

His voice was impatient, and she shut her eyes. "I have not forgotten." He stepped back without ever touching her. "Put the papers on the table."

Somehow her legs hadn't given out, so she dropped the papers and scurried away as fast as possible. Tate looked at her as she stepped out of the elevator. "Where have you been?"

"I. Dani asked me to help. I was up there."

"I'm surprised Baxter allowed it."

"I know I'm not executive material."

"No, I didn't mean it like that. He had an important meeting that's been stressing him out."

She shrugged. "I just did what he asked me to do."

Tate smiled. "You are very good at that. Everyone has been happy with you, even cranky Brad."

"Leave poor Brad alone. I feel sorry for him."

"You and Kasper would make a good pair. Did you save baby birds too?"

"What? No. I am about as suitable for Kasper as I am for our COO. Less so because I don't climb trees half naked on an island and race around the world."

"You're right. I'm sorry that you don't check the Kane boxes. Priscilla does, but Doyle doesn't like her."

"But you do."

"I do. He cooked for her on Saturday night. Doyle told me the steak was delicious."

"That's nice." Ivy choked, when she really wanted to cry. He hadn't forgotten, yet he cooked the same meal for his girlfriend.

"You look tired, Ivy."

Eleanor added, "I keep telling her to move in with me. It will shorten her commute. Plus, I'm not her parent so I don't care what she does."

"I don't do anything."

"You're going to a party on Saturday. The dress I chose for her is amazing."

"I'll want pictures." Eleanor smiled like a mother.

Tate smiled. "I'll send them. Ivy you should move in with Eleanor. You'll be happier."

"Maybe I should." At least she wouldn't have to listen to her parents argue about money every day.

Eleanor clapped her hands. "Move in on Sunday after your soiree."

She smiled. "I'll tell my parents tonight."

"She should move in before the party so she doesn't have to drive home. If she's in Cambridge, I can have MacIntyre pick her up and drop her home again."

"MacIntyre?" Ivy gulped.

"Our chauffeur."

"I don't think your parents will approve."

"Let me worry about them. I would have you stay at my apartment, but I'm staying at the house. Dani is staying too."

"Your brother's assistant is sleeping over?"

"She stays over a lot when they have a big deal to work on."

Eleanor smirked. "I think there is more than meets the eye."

Ivy wondered if he lied to her. Tate shook her head. "No. Baxter wouldn't. Plus, I've never seen him with a brunette until Priscilla."

"He must have a parade of discarded blondes." She almost choked on her words.

"Surprisingly not. He doesn't trust easily. That's why he didn't like Duncan."

"Seems to me he had a good reason."

Ivy smirked at Eleanor's directness. "Tate, will there be any single men for you to meet at the party?"

"No. None at all. I'm hungry."

Ivy frowned because a part of her wanted to dance with a man while Baxter watched.

Thanks for voting ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

526K 10.7K 48
(I WILL BE HEAVILY EDITING THIS BOOK ONCE ITS DONE) nothing serious about this. { this book has not been seen to. stop yourself from commenting abo...
68.8K 1.1K 46
"You're going to keep living, V." Everyone thought Ivy Archer had the perfect life. Because they had no idea what she was hiding: her mums terminal c...
Pained. By bxb & obj ♡

General Fiction

668K 27.1K 46
THIS IS A DARK ROMANCE. CONTAINS MATURE AND GRAPHIC SCENES SUCH AS ABUSE, MURDER, RÁPE, SUICIDAL THOUGHTS/ACTIONS. Kane has never had an easy life. H...
2.3K 65 57
^^^This book has explicit sex scenes between consenting adults. All sexually active characters are over the age of 18. Mature audiences 18 and older...