Marriage of convenience (Drac...

By nesseire

Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy have just agreed to the marriage of their son Draco with Astoria Greengrass. Will Draco m... More

1- The engagement
2- The marriage contract
3- Astoria
4- Sleepless night
5- Seduction
6- Night therapy
7- Under the moonlight
8- The game
9- The party
10- Slughorn
11- Fight against death
12- The first day
13- The birthday party
14- Malfoy Manor
16- Without options
17- The poisoner
18- Agony
19- The funeral
Epilogue

15- A new threat

99 4 6
By nesseire

The wedding gifts began to arrive late. Since everyone had assumed Astoria's death, they had not bothered to order presents to entertain the couple; but as it was now obvious that she had recovered, everyone had hastened to repair their mistake.

Owls and house-elves swarmed around bringing packages and returning thank you cards. Astoria no longer knew what to do with such a quantity of vases, jewelry, dresses and flowers. Some of the gifts came from Draco's old schoolmates, and were arguably in poor taste, while others were simply hideous.

However, she made an effort to respond to each sender, trying to appear grateful for the detail. One morning when they received a true avalanche of packages, Draco dragged her to the garden.

"It's over. It doesn't matter how many owls would come; I don't plan to respond to any more."

"Draco! It is our duty to respond—"

"No, it is not. And even if it were, I'm fed up with gifts and congratulations. Most of them are absolute trash, and I don't think those people are really happy for us."

"Some are."

"I do not care! Besides..." Draco completely changed his tone of voice and stopped walking so fast. "We haven't had time to be alone yet."

"No one has bothered us all morning," she protested, pretending she didn't know what he was talking about. He hugged her waist, pulling her into his body.

"I don't agree," he murmured, kissing her. She put her arms around his neck, and for a few minutes they enjoyed each other's company without anyone bothering them.

"I missed this," Astoria sighed. Draco laughed, although he then noticed the small figure approaching them.

"Kali wants to talk to you."

The house-elf carried a huge basket filled to the brim with bright green apples.

"Miss Astoria has received this gift," the house-elf announced, smiling.

"Are they only for you? Do you have a secret admirer?" Draco mocked.

"Don't be silly, they will be from some friend from school; Everyone knows that I love apples," Astoria smiled, picking one up. "And Kali is also passionate about them," she added, gesturing to the house-elf so that she could eat too. "Do you want one?"

"I'm allergic," he explained, moving away from the fruit.

"Really? I didn't know," Astoria looked at him worried. "Should I get rid of them?"

"It's okay, as long as I don't eat them, I'm fine. Besides, there will be more for you," he joked.

They walked together while she turned the fruit over in her hands, cleaning it.

"I've been thinking about taking a honeymoon trip," Draco commented. "It's also a tradition of sorts, and I look forward to it much more than opening gifts and answering owls."

"And where would we go?"

"What do you think of a paradisiacal beach somewhere warm and sunny?"

"What if we go to Nepal?"

"Nepal? What have you missed in Nepal?"

"It would be something different," she smiled. "Have you never wanted to travel for the thrill of adventure? Climb mountains, cross jungles, see the northern lights, reach remote places—"

"Are you talking about doing all that on foot?"

"Where is your sense of adventure?" she mocked. "Won't you come with me?" she asked, pouting.

"I would follow you anywhere," he said. "But Nepal?"

Astoria laughed.

"Well, there are no apples there," she said, playfully, approaching him. She brought the fruit to her lips, without biting it. "Don't you really want some?"

He stared at her, thinking quickly about how to continue the game, but suddenly his eyes widened, and he swatted the apple, knocking it to the ground.

"Draco!"

"Do not eat it! Look!" he pointed behind her, towards the house-elf Kali, who was lying on the ground, fainted.

"Kali!" Astoria ran to the house-elf and took her into her arms. The half-eaten apple rolled on the floor, and white foam came out of the house-elf's mouth. "They have poisoned her!"

Draco took charge of the situation.

"To Slughorn's house, quickly!"

***

An hour later, Draco tried to come to terms with what had happened. He would never have lifted a finger to come to the aid of a house house-elf, and he would have cared little about what happened to them, but Kali was different. Kali was important to Astoria. She had cared for her, and worried about her, and Draco was convinced that his wife would suffer greatly if anything happened to the house-elf. So, when he saw Kali under the effects of poison, he didn't think twice, and appeared with the two of them in front of his former teacher's house.

Slughorn was also slow to react when they entered his house and Draco practically forced him to heal the house-elf. Obviously, the professor had never been in a similar situation either.

The problem was solved with a bezoar and a sleeping potion, and as Kali fell asleep in Astoria's arms, Draco sent a patronus to warn his father.

"Boy, what happened?" Slughorn asked, still puzzled.

"Someone gave Astoria a basket of poisoned apples. Kali ate one and—"

"Someone wanted to poison Astoria? Who?"

"I don't know. But they knew it would work, apparently everyone knows Astoria loves to eat apples."

At that moment, a greenish glow in the next room indicated that someone had used floo powder to enter the house. Seconds later, Lucius Malfoy joined them.

"Is Astoria okay? Have you managed to save her?" was the first thing he asked. The fact that he had been so quick to inquire about the state of Astoria indicated that he took the young woman's safety very seriously.

"She is fine, father. It was the house-elf who was poisoned," Draco explained.

"The house-elf? Has all this been because of a house-elf?" Lucius asked, disdainfully. He wrinkled his aristocratic nose contemptuously.

"The apples were for Astoria. If Kali hadn't eaten one, it would be Astoria who would be in mortal danger right now," Draco responded, a little angry. A part of him reminded him not to make such a fuss over a house-elf, but what the hell! It was Kali they were talking about.

"Mr. Malfoy, this is a very serious matter. It is very possible that the house-elf saved the girl's life," Slughorn intervened, prudently. He felt intimidated by Lucius.

"Lucius?" Astoria had come when she heard their voices. Mr. Malfoy's expression changed completely when he saw her, and he came to her side.

"How are you? I heard what happened."

"I'm fine, I didn't get to try any," Astoria was very pale, but maintained her composure. "Draco realized what was happening in time."

"I give you my word that I will not stop until I find who is behind this," he said, vehemently.

"Thank you very much, Lucius, but you don't need to go to so much trouble."

"On the contrary. As soon as it is known that you are still alive, they will try again," Lucius took her hands". You are now part of the family, and your well-being and safety is everyone's priority. We won't let them hurt you again."

Astoria was moved by this, and Draco thought he would never be able to thank his father for that gesture. He had forgotten that Lucius had a deep sense of duty towards his family, and if Astoria was in danger, he would not stop until he found the culprit and punished them appropriately. In fact, neither Narcissa nor Draco would sit idly by in that situation.

"It would be useful to know what kind of poison they used," Slughorn commented. "It could help find the culprit. If I could analyze the pulp of the apples..."

"I'll send them to you as soon as I can," Draco assured him.

"Listen to me carefully," Lucius warned the young people. "From now on you must be as careful as possible. Do not leave Greengrass Castle and watch everything you eat and drink."

"Kali tasted all of our food," Astoria said.

"Then you must replace her with another house-elf. Don't eat anything without making sure it's not dangerous. Don't touch any object that you have not seen before in your rooms."

"But that is impossible! "Draco protested. "Wedding gifts keep coming."

"Then destroy them or put them all in a basement. Anything could contain a hidden curse or poison dart."

"It would be a good idea to carry a bezoar on hand," Slughorn suggested. "It could save their lives."

"It's a good idea," Lucius acknowledged. "Now you must return to the castle. The house-elf will remain here until she has recovered," he conceded. "You must not appear nervous, and you must act as if nothing had happened. The poisoner must not suspect that you have discovered the trap, so simply pretend that you have not seen the apples. Maybe that will give us a few more days of margin."

Lucius spoke with the experience of a former death eater. He had done a lot of dirty jobs throughout his life, and he knew how hitmen acted. Fortunately, he also knew how to defend himself against them.

So Draco and Astoria were forced to return to that castle that was beginning to become their prison. They didn't want to show it, but they were scared. What if next time they couldn't avoid misfortune?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 294 9
Two families. Two purebloods who fell in love. A short Draco Malfoy love story.
660K 8.4K 51
in an au where hogwarts didn't happen- draco malfoy hired y/n y/l/n to be his demonstrative assistant. he was the worlds top rated sex therapist, wit...
816 4 54
Your life in Hogwarts and you fell in love with Malfoy and you couldn't let him go. You die but will you come back and be a real mother for your son...
31K 767 21
How could a Slytherin, and Draco Malfoy of all people, possibly fall for a weak Hufflepuff? And what will he do when he finds out her dark secret? Ye...