Illusion ➵ Zach Mitchell

By ELBloom

COMPLETED "You never had control, that's the illusion! I was overwhelmed by the power of this place. But I ma... More

Book I: Illusion
「one」
01 ➵ foreshadow
02 ➵ monorail
03 ➵ mosasurus
05 ➵ gyrosphere
06 ➵ indominus
07 ➵ park
「two」
08 ➵ perfigure
09 ➵ pterodactyl
10 ➵ loss
11 ➵ velociraptor
12 ➵ run
13 ➵ attack
14 ➵ gmo
15 ➵ pack
「three」
16 ➵ breathe
17 ➵ allies
18 ➵ aftermath
19 ➵ unleased
20 ➵ discovery
21 ➵ accident
22 ➵ hoscorp
23 ➵ battlefield
24 ➵ solution
+1 ➵ Making It Work
+2 ➵ Pillow Talks
+3 ➵ Late Night Texts
+4 ➵ First Dates
Recommendations
Copying
Wattys 2015
NEW BOOK: FROM OUR BLOOD

04 ➵ tyrannosaurus

8.4K 297 59
By ELBloom

Thank you all for reading, commenting and voting on my story. And lets not forget people adding this to their reading lists! Thank you so much!

Enjoy.

ILLUSION

[chapter four]

KEEPING up with an eleven year old is way harder than it looks. They're way shorter than me and very fast. Gray wants to see everything and touch anything, I can barely run after him. My legs might be longer, but nothing beats a kid's stamina.

"Look, look," Gray shouts, pointing at one of the holographic velociraptors. It bares it's teeth as soon as Gray presses the button, it's hiss ringing out the ought the speakers. "That's so awesome!" He clicks the button once then again before running off to another station.

I don't follow him this time, resting up against one of the soundboards. I spot Zach standing all the on the other side of the Center and glare at him wishing he would actually watch his little brother. Not that I hate running after Gray, he's just very hyper and, because I'm an only child, I'm not used to taking care of children.

"Zach! Gray!"

I turn to see a woman standing on the stairs. She looks older than me but younger than my mother dressed in all white. Her vibrant, short red hair, a loud contrast to her outfit, was cut sharply and framed her face. There was a more regal air about her and the way she held herself proved that she was important. She smiled down softly at Gray as he ran towards her, wrapping his arms around her small waist.

"Aunt Claire!" he shouts, smiling up at her.

"Wow, Gray. You've gotten so big!" She exclaimed and looked up at Zach as we approached. "And Zach. Last time I saw you, you were what," she raised her arm, "this tall." She smiled wider. "Wow. That was what? Three, four years ago?"

"Seven actually, Aunt Claire," he clarified swiftly, sliding his phone into his pocket, keeping his hands there. His posture was rigid beside me and it was obvious that the woman standing in front of him was no more than a stranger. I try and get him to meet my gaze, but after he glances at me, he looks down.

Claire's smile flattened and her bright blue eyes dimmed before falling on me, widening. She quickly untangled herself from Gray and straightened. She smoothed out her skirt.

"Miss. Masrani, it's a pleasure to have you here," Claire greeted formally, sticking out her hand for me to shake.

"The pleasures all mine, Ms. Dearing," I replied and tugged a fake smile on my face.

"Oh please, call me Claire," she said sweetly.

I glanced around the center, taking inventory. Running children, check. Their annoyed parents, check. My dad, nowhere to be seen. I couldn't help but feel a tugging sadness form in me before shoving in deep down. Exactly where it belongs.

"Where's my father? He was supposed to meet me here, right?," I asked.

Claire's smile tilted ever so slightly, masking her emotions. I assumed, with a job like her's, she did this often when breaking bad news. I didn't need to be a mind reader to figure out what that meant. I shook my head. "He's not coming, is he?"

"He has to take care of some things with the park." Then her lips formed a line. She glanced down at her watch before directing her attention to her nephews. "And sadly, so do I. I'm sorry boys."

Gray's shoulders slumped. Poor, kid. I grab him and pull him into me, giving him a reassuring smile. I looked to Zach. His face was also masked. I frowned and shoved him with my elbow, trying to make him feel better, but he only looked at me, expressionless.

"Oh, but don't worry. We'll meet up for dinner," she nodded and looked towards Zara. "And I'll be able to show you around the control room tomorrow. How does that sound?"

"Perfect."

"Great, well I'll leave you to it. Zara has already given you your V.I.P. wristbands and money for food." Just then her phone rang. "I have to go, now. Have fun kids." And we watch as she turns to walk away.

"Well that was less awkward than I thought it was going to be," Zach mumbled, taking his phone out again.

I sighed. I should have know better. He was barely there for the first seventeen years of my life; so why did I think my father be here now. Not like it mattered, I didn't come here to bond with my father. I came here to get into the control room, which seems like it will be pretty easy to do. The only bright side to this. Too bad I have to wait a day.

"C'mon, Gray. Lets go see some dinosaurs."

*

After leaving the Innovation Center and wondering around Main Street, Zara, Gray, Zach and I finally desired to go to the petting zoo. Of course the place was packed with screaming children ridding triceratops. Even with all of its cuteness, I got bored just standing there in the heat watching Gray bounce up and down with excitement.

"C'mon, Zach," Gray whined, "please! I can totally ride the triceratops! Just lift me up over the fence."

Zach ignored his pled, putting on his headphones and stuffing his hands in his pocket. "I'm not dad and you're not five. Thai is stupid, just watching them."

I rolled my eyes and tried to get pictures of the young dinosaurs. Mariza would squeal if she saw them. She had a thing for babies; absolutely loves them. Me on the other hand, I can't even wrap my head around taking care of them. I'd...break them somehow. I groaned when my phone was knocked from my hands. With all the kids rushing around, it was hard to get a non blurred picture with them knocking into me. I bent down to pick it up, wiping off the dirt.

All of the sudden, Zach grabbed my shoulders and Gray's hand, shoving us away from the petting zoo. "Scatter!," he screamed and took off running with Gray leading the way and me in tow close behind.

"What," I gasped, "was that for?"

"To get away from Zara. She wasn't paying attention anyways. She was just on her phone talking about some party."

I glared at the back of his head. "Remind you of someone," I mumble quietly.

"C'mon, Mari, Zach. I wanna see the T-Rex!," Gray yelled, pulling on my shirt. I looked down at him. He sure did have a lot of energy.

"Did you know that 'rex' means King in Latin? Makes sense, doesn't it?"

Zach rolled his eyes. "I'm surrounded by nerds," he grumbled.

Glad to have annoyed him, I walked to the Tyrannosaurus Rex exhibit with a smile on my face.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex viewing station was located in a large fake log. Creative. Too bad the widows were full of people holding up their children and phones, trying to record just a single glance of the unnatural giant. I could barely seen anything so I stayed to the back. The crowd gasped in anticipation waiting for the 65 million year old monster to take its next victim, a goat.

"Are you bored out of your mind too?"

I turned to find Zach, surprisingly without his phone. We had both moved to the back to avoid being pushed by the others. I had to admit. With him casually leaning on the glass behind us, boyish grin plastered on his face, he looked really hot. It took me a few seconds to respond.

"Oh sorry, are you talking to me? I didn't recognize you without your eyes glued to your phone," I smirked.

"There you go with the phone again," he side smiled, "I'm just trying to have a pleasant conversation with you, Mari, and you just have to get all jealous about my phone. I get it," he leaned in closer, "you like me and wish I talked to you more instead of being on my phone."

I glared at him. How could he possibly have a girlfriend? Besides good looks, he was nothing but an annoying pick.

"Is that really your pick up line?" I almost laugh. "It's not working."

"I'm just giving you what you want." He raises his eyebrow and winks.

I roll my eyes, disgusted and turn towards him. "And what could that possibly be?"

"More of me, of course."

And at that moment, I really wanted to punch that smirk right off his face.

He slowly leans in and closes his eyes. I stifle a laugh and walk away. I hear a loud thud and turn to see him on the ground. Did he really think I was going to kiss him? This time I laughed.

"Kiss game weak." I say, and, just to add to it, I flip my dark wavy hair and strut away.

I wonder outside, taking a seat on one of the benches and looking out at the water. The bright sea foam green water was barely stirring and only tiny waves made their way to the shore. Before I could get up and peer into the still water, jumping children tugging their parents passed in front me, excited to see that next best thing. I forgot about the water and decided to head back to Gray.

Just to run directly into a body. My eyes screwed shut and I placed my hands out in front of me.

"Will you watch where you're going, damn," someone grumbled. I was about to cuss them out, opening my eyes when I came face to face with maroon. I rolled my eyes, my hands still griping his shirt tightly and look up. Zach's familiar brown eyes glared down at me, but they lacked their usual amusement. They looked shaken, and jittery.

I gasped with realization. "What happened?"

"It's Gray."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 60 10
Set four years after the events of Jurassic Park. Ian and Clarissa Malcolm are happier than ever until Clary receives news from her father and he wa...
39.7K 1.3K 18
Set in the Jurassic World universe, 17 y/o Zach Mitchell is done with the arguing amongst his parents and how they're sheltering his 12 y/o brother...
223K 6.8K 31
You've always been reckless and have taken risks, dangerous risks, especially when your older brother was Owen Grady; an ex-Navy officer. Owen always...
337K 10.2K 62
Anya Masrani. Is any other description needed? No, but I'll give you one anyway. Despite being the daughter of one of the richest men in the world...