Fused By Fate

By ShepsGrey

He was a lawyer, a single father to his beautiful daughter. She had the kindest heart, a heart that many took... More

One
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen

Two

245 11 7
By ShepsGrey

She had always been described as a kind girl, warm natrued and bubbly. But it all changed the day she met him.

Meredith had sailed through college with a couple of meaningless flings nothing other than that even when she wanted more. She had the best grades and was always at the top of her class. She always handed course work in on time, she studied well , listened and took notes. She took everything seriously. Of course every now and then on Saturdays she would let loose and party. 

She'd always had a job, she worked as a barista from when she was 18 up until her first placement at a pre school, the same one where she met Clara. 

When she arrived back home at age 21 she lived back home with Ellis and Richard for two months before buying her apartment. She loved that apartment, she had lived their happily for two years before her life changed, before she met him

At nearly 24 she hadn't experienced anything like she had with Kyle. The first date he showed nothing but kindness, until they kissed and left to Meredith's. The second the door closed and they were behind a door he became violent, pinned her down and took what he wanted. She thought when he left that would be it, she ignored his calls and messages. But it wasn't enough to keep him away. He kept coming back. She wasn't sure why she didn't report him, she gave into his stalking, his threats and allowed him to call her his. 

She acted happy but everyone could see through her, they could see she was in pain, that the colour and life had drained from her eyes. She looked exhausted. Which she was, held captive by fear.

For nearly seven months he had caused her nothing but pain, upset and terror. But she saw no way out at all. 

She stood in front of her floor length mirror, running her fingers over the dark bruises across her ribcage. Tears appeared in her eyes as she focused on the marks he had left the night before.  He had become angry over Clara's message requesting lunch. 

"I'm sorry"He grumbled walking into the room, a can of beer in hand. His meaningless apologies meant nothing but to to avoid another confrontation she would always smile softly.

"It's okay, I know you don't mean it"She leant over and softly kissed his lips. She tried to convince herself he didn't mean it when she knew he meant each blow and never regretted it. 

She pulled on her black tights, check skirt and long sleeve black top which she tucked in. Looking at her reflection again she noticed the small bruise above her eye. She covered it quickly with makeup. She couldn't let her emotion show, not around him.

"I'll be back later. Clar wants me to start watching Hugo and her brothers daughter on Thursday's and Sunday's"Meredith whispered, scared to let him know.

Without warning he grabbed a fist full of her hair.

"I am fine with that but if her brother touches you I will fucking kill him. You know I will"He released the grip and kissed her cheek.

She grabbed her bag as quickly as she could, rushing down the stairs of the complex she let her sob out, she wasn't sure how much longer she could keep up with it, how much longer she could pretend to be okay.

With a deep sigh she opened the door to her five door, grey mini cooper. She pressed the button to open the sun roof. She let the cool air provide her with the calmness as she drove to Clara's.

She knew she wouldn't be looking after Hugo and it would be Clara's brother's daughter. But she had to lie or be hurt again by Kyle. She wasn't sure what to think or say when Clara called her this morning. 

She double checked herself in the mirror, fixing the stray pieces of hair and wiping the mascara that had smudged under her eyes.

She knocked the door lightly, smiling when Clara answered.

"Hey beautiful"Clara beamed pulling Meredith into her arms. The blonde ignored the pain that shot through her ribs as her friend encased her.   She walked her through to the living room where Derek sat with Mark watching a film on the television both men commenting on the women in bikinis.  "Boys"Clara warned. 

Both men looked up, both sets of eyes wandered over her head to toe. Clara looked at Derek with a wide expression, more of shock than anything else. He had just actively checked out someone in front of her.

"Mer this is my brother Derek and his bestfriend, our close friend Mark"Clara introduced. Meredith had only passed a smile when Hugo burst through the doors.

"Meredithhhh"He shouted, running to her at full speed. With all of her strength she picked him up.

"Hugo darling you are bigger now"Clara warned. Meredith smiled.

"Its okay. Are you okay? No more running off since yesterday?" Meredith asked.

"Noope. I need to go now"Meredith placed him down as he ran back outside. Clara shook her head.

"They grown up so fast"She gestured to the sofa. Meredith sat down in the chair, creating as much distance between her and the men she could.

Derek's gaze was hard, as if he was working on a puzzle. She knew if he looked any harder he would start to notice the two bruises she had covered with concealer.

"So, Meredith. Clara recommended you as you were amazing with Hugo. I am a lawyer and the case I am working on is intense which means a brief shift change. Around two maybe three months. Normally Clar or my mother would have her but with it being summer break I couldn't keep Sofia out too much" Derek explained.

"No of course. I can send you my details so you can run background checks? Whatever Sofia's schedule is I will stick to it as long as I know"Meredith smiled softly. 

"I saw you are going to be a TA next year and not have your own class?"Clara looked sadly.

"I am working with Laura Dawson, she is in your class next year. Progression ladder and she needs the assistance." Clara's face lit up.

"Wait..you will be in my class?"She questioned. Meredith smiled with a nod.  They spoke amongst themselves for a while. Derek and Mark both listening to how the females spoke to eachother.

"Daddy my arm hurts"Sofia cried walking in, her hair was in a pony tail. Her summer dress was a beautiful pink with strawberries scattered all over. 

"Come here princess"Derek lifted her into his arms and placed a kiss to her arm which she had scratched earlier that day. "Sof, this is Meredith. She is going to be looking after you on Thursdays and Sundays when I have to work"Derek explained.

"Does she make cookies"Sofia whispered. Derek looked up as if asking the question. 

"I do and pancakes andd muffins"Meredith added. Sofia smiled widely.

"yayyy daddy always burns muffins"She giggled. She hopped off of Derek and walked to Meredith. She stood infront of her for a moment just looking. "You are sooo pretty"She smiled shyly as she wrapped her arms around the female. Derek sucked in a breath but let go as Meredith hugged her back.

"You are even prettier, like a disney princess" Meredith watched as the four year old twirled.

"Thank you"She clapped her hands. "I see you Thursday"She shouted as she ran back out. 

"You have Sofia's approval."Clara nudged. Of course Meredith ignored the shooting pain it sent throughout her body.

"Sofia can be really energetic, she loves to swim in our home pool. Feel free to join her. If she is in the pool alone she has to go in the kid part with the lower level. If you go in then she can go anywhere she wants with you watching. We keep the door locked. She loves the park, playing dress up and all that. Outside she has her own play area and den. She might drag you out there. I can discuss pay with you and that shit Thursday?"Derek offered a hand.

"Of course. I honestly don't mind just watching her I don't expect money"It was true, she didn't. She was thankful for every moment she escaped her house of horrors.

"Don't be silly. Write your email down. I will send you the forms okay?"He questioned and she nodded. He couldn't help but notice how smooth her hands were, they were soft and warm to touch. 

"Are you planning a birthday party, your birthday is in like 4 weeks?"Clara exclaimed.

"Lexie is. She is with Jackson from Seattle Grace. Mum and Dad are happy but Theo seems mad. They are lovely together. She is so happy. She is almost done with her intern year since the smart ass skipped two grades in school. But Jackson in the same room with Kyle won't work"Her entire body tensed as she spoke his name.

"Mhm. I hate him. I really do Mer. Just leave him. Throw him on his ass "Clara knew he was a dead beat but she had no idea.

"He isn't all bad... he just isn't very social at all. But he can't be in the same room with mum, dad, Theo or Lexie. Last time all hell broke loose. So I just do what I have to" Meredith smiled sadly.

"Okay. I'll take your word babes. Just guard your heart. "Clara stroked Meredith's blonde hair. Keeping silent when she noticed the healing cut to her scalp.

Once Meredith left Clara crashed onto the sofa.

"He is all bad trust me. I hate her boyfriend.  He is evil. He talks to her like complete shit. He literally does nothing except drink. Mer does everything"Clara exaggerated with her hands.

"She is a cute little thing. Tiny girl though."Mark chuckled. Clara lauched a pillow at him.

"Don't say anything to her Mark. She..she isn't like most girls okay. She wears her heart on her sleeve. Derek that is why I think she will be so good for Sofia." Derek agreed with a hum as he thought about everything he had heard. 

The kind blonde seemed more like a damzel in distress even if she didn't see it herself. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.1K 1.2K 46
Derek Shepherd comes into a new town as an attending at Grey-Sloan Memorial, while he's also handling the struggle of being a single father to his te...
117K 3.6K 55
Meredith is a med student and Derek is a part time professor working at her school. Derek is a single father and has a daughter. What happens when me...
16.4K 662 45
Despite her trauma, she still had the warmest heart and kindest eyes. A MerDer Fiction. I tried MerNick but my heart is MerDer Xx
781K 12.2K 200
Delilah Shepherd. Daughter of the legendary neurosurgeon Dr. Derek Shepherd. Derek Shepherd became a single father at the young age of 14 and never l...