Titan Turn; A TDS Story

Per OK1610

Gravedigger had always been the missfit of the family. With his new friend however, he finds his place in the... Més

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 (Halloween Special)
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 46

112 4 5
Per OK1610

"Scout? Scout! Wait up! Where are we going?"

"Come! Faster, Grave! They will be here soon!"

"Wha-?!"

Grave sped up as he chased Scout down the long hallways of the base. He watched as his friend rounded the corner and trailed after him.
Ah, right..them.

Today was the day the scouting team would be returning from their mission up North. And to say the soldiers weren't enthusiastic about it would be a lie. The whole morning everybody was practically buzzing with excitement, chores were finished faster, training fights were cut shorter, anything that could be put aside was immediately forgotten just so everyone can be present at their arrival. From Medic to Warden, to even the Commander, everybody was in the yard waiting for the Rangers up in the observation tower to signal their friends' presence.
The Tower leader was boucing his leg impatiently, sparing the boys a curious glance as they passed by him and through the crowd. Scout skidded to a halt, Grave narrowly stopping before bumping into him.

On the horizon the sun had rose above the many hills housing a thick forest that surrounded the base. A great natural defense in case of war and against weaker threats as well. Down the path leading to the main gate of the training grounds, a convoy lead by an ATV with the military insignia, akin to the one he and Scout had taken, was making it's way through the hurdles. Grave scanned the yard, the sheer number of military personnel as well as soldiers was putting him a little on edge. His family of course was nowhere in sight, they had no reason to be here, neither did he but Scout had begged him to come.

Never had he felt so...out of place before...A shadow among the crowd..
In his village he felt comfortable with the large gatherings he and his brother would run through during festivals.. Chasing one another and other neighboring kids in their games. Laughing and screaming with delight as they got caught...No one paid them any mind..He was one of them back then... He no longer is now...Every trace of Tower would be erased...even his name. He was no longer accepted...Why return there? His family would always know the truth even if he would try to hide it...He was a freak...an embarassment.

Grave shook his head, he knew the decision had already been made in his heart the moment Commander presented him with the options. But perhaps had hoped that at least a small part of his old self could be kept alive.
Life was cruel that way...

He opened his eyes again, having closed them prior without realizing. Looking around once more as the ATV was getting closer and closer, he had noticed an odd figure among the crowd..
A little farther away from Medic, stood a tall, red robed man with a hilt around his waist. He was no Tower judging by height alone. Pale green skin, a forever wrinkled frown and glassy red eyes... Swordmaster...

Grave scowled, whispering to himself, "Why would he be here?"

"Hm?"

Scout traced after the boy's line of sight, his eyes landing on the elder Titan. He raised his eyebrows as past rumors flooded back into his mind.

"I...I am not sure.." he muttered, lowering himself to whisper to his friend, "But.. there were stories going around that..he was the one who raised Gladiator and aparently even trained him before he came here. Most said Glad was lying but Medic told me she believed him and-"

The tale Scout had begun recalling fell on deaf ears as Grave focused on the ancient Titan, the sound of his friend's voice drowning out into the background. He raised...a Tower.

A Tower...a pure Tower...An enemy...their enemy...and he...He had the nerve to call him the disgrace?

He had heard whispers about a supposed son the ancient Titan may have had...but a Tower?! Tears stung at his eyes as he held in a yell, gritting his teeth..he wanted to lash out at him. He needed to lash out at him...It was eating him on the inside, like a searing flame burning his heart... Needed t-to berate him for eveything he had done, to wrap his hands around his neck and just- end him then and there.

The elder Titan must have sensed a pair of eyes locked onto him, so he lifted his nonchalant gaze from the convoy, only to be met with Grave's sharp glare.

For the first time in centuries, Swordmaster felt a chill run down his spine. The color drained from his face as the unadulterated hatred the child held for him seeped into his very soul. From across the yard he saw the child's eyes flash a bright pink...her pink no less.
The boy was not even frowning, he was expresionless akin to a puppet. It was just a cold, wide eyed glare... enough to shake even the bravest of hearts. Not even his battle hardened grandfather could master something like this.

The crowd of people started forward but the boy stayed unmoving, eyes fixated on him like an apex predator waiting for its pray to make a final move. Master could not find himself looking away, his terror immobilised him. His heartbeat drummed in his ears as the sounds of cheer around him fadded into the distance..It was silent..Blurry figures of soldiers running around as the boy's eyes never once looked away.
He couldn't even tell if the child had ever blinked since they locked on.

A hand wrapped around his arm, shaking him out of his frozen state. He breathed for the first time...he hadn't noticed he wasn't earlier.

"Is everything alright?"

The distant soft voice of Medic had him turn to her slightly.

"Y-Yeah" he mumbled.

He swung his head around to glance back at the boy. His heart still beating out of his chest as his mind wrapped around what he had just seen. But...
Gravedigger was gone...

Medic gazed back to where the elder was looking, the gasps of air he was taking making it known he was shaken by something, but there was still nothing there... "Are you sure?"

He brushed her off, after somewhat regaining his footing. "Y-yes, yes."

Swordmaster turned his attention back to the mass of Towers saluting and welcoming the scouting team. As he looked through the many people coming from behind the few vehicles, rushing about, he could not see Gladiator among them anywhere..Where was that rascal? What trouble did he get into this time?

"Medic! A little help here!"

Upon hearing the call of Sledger she hurried off into the back of a jeep, leaving the befuddled Titan on his own.

Hadn't...Hadn't Medic mentioned they had returned so early because...because Gladiator was hurt? Goodness, how could he forget?! No...was it that horrid?! Could he not even walk?!
Did that she do something to him?! No.. no it had already been known he was injured beforehand... Breathe..you are becoming paranoid.. There is no way she was back not after, no... And he is just a child...he has red eyes too, not far from pink, the light of the sun probably hit them in an odd way.. Yes..that had to be it.. How could he be under her influence when they hadn't even met? Hmph. That hybrid was not even born back then..
Prophecies be damned he had more important things to do!

He huffed, lifting his eyes off the ground he was met with another familiar gaze through the horde.

The stunned expression of Gladiator was identical to that of his Master. They stared at each other from afar, unmoving. It was quiet for a while..The Tower couldn't even pay attention to the voices and greetings of his fellow soldiers, his father was all he could see. They kept their gazes locked on each other, before a shock of pain went up Gladiator's leg breaking him out of the trance. The elder stepped closer, still keeping a solid distance, as he looked over him after the initial shock had dimmed. Gladiator was being held up by an odd muscular man with a hammer, apparently named Sledger and another thinner silhouette with a dagger tied to his waist. The latter gave him a dirty look which Swordmaster had no trouble returning before looking back at his trembling son. Gladiator had pulled back a little from coming closer, averting his eyes almost the second his Master had looked at him. Was..was that fear written on his face? Or disgust?

The elder Titan felt a pinch of disappointment in his heart at his child's actions. He clearly did not wish to talk to him...With a hard swallow, the elder moved away, allowing for them to pass through the yard to the infirmary.

"Master, wait!"

The quiet call of his son had been left unanswered as Swordmaster hurried off back into the building, not even bothering to spare the young man a glance. He pulled his robe thighter around himself as he made his way through the main entrance. How gullible could he be? How could he ever believe Gladiator felt anything for him other than hatred? He pushed him away...
It was his fault..

He needed air, his chest felt like it was colapsing in on itself but the yard was out of the question. He grabbed the nearby handrail of a spiral staircase to hold himself upright. Lifting his head to check if there was anyone around, the elder stepped up the stairs quietly. In a blessing from the Creator, they lead to an open rooftop, high above the training grounds. The Titan took in a deep breath of air, the morning breeze was cold enough to alleviate the pain.
Goodness, how could he even hope that his son wanted to see him again? It was foolish of him...Medic was wrong.. The judgement of a Tower can never be trusted... and yet like an idiot he let himself wish the impossible...
His son despised him...End of story.

The elder sighed, leaning his head on his hands, allowing the wind to lull his bitter thoughts. Quite a bit of time had passed, maybe even an hour, before he had been unceremoniously interrupted.

"You are a hypocrite."

Swordmaster jumped up in surprise, the voice behind him ringing in his ears. He spun around, only to be met with another razor-sharp glare from...

Gravedigger.

The elder drew in another ragged breath. The child's eyes were normal, cold but normal...His figure was as still as a stone wall. A change compared to the last time they had talked...When he had attacked him and ran away like a coward, trembling like a leaf in front of him beforehand...

"You are a hypocrite." he repeated.

"Grave, stop!" whispered Scout as he hid down the stairs behind the support beam. He followed the boy the moment he left the yard in a huff. Almost knowing he was going to do something stupid. He is going to get himself killed!

The older Titan's unwielding scowl was fixated on him. Not even bothering to acknowledge the Tower. Grave picked up from where he left off, his fury was too great to allow him to be shaken by the otherwise cruel swordsman.

"Who do you think you are to call me a 'stain on the family's name'? he screamed, "To condemn my father for adopting me and Molten? When you raised a so-called 'bastard' too!"

Swordmaster blinked, he really did not have the mood to deal with this boy right now. But that comment was a step too far. "You dare call him that you insolent child!?"

"Yes I dare!" yelled back the boy, "He is a Tower! A pure Tower mind you! And yet I get harassed by you all the time? For being a 'hybrid'?! Not even Ducky gets this treatment! He was raised by Towers too for Creator's sake! But nooo it's only me! I am the evil of this family aren't I!?"

"Shut-!"

As the man was about to reprimand the child's behavior, an ever so tiny pink spark erupted into his eyes again, making the elder clamp his mouth shut.
There was no denying anymore, something was awry..

Grave took his silence as a way to continue, "And what about my father?! Huh?! You berate him during every meeting, every chance you get you jab at him for taking me in! Hell, even for taking Molten in! Molten isn't even related to a Tower in any way but that still wasn't good enough for you! What's it to you anyway?! What do you want?!Why do you care about what kids he has and why?! You aren't even a part of this family for crying outloudly! Just leave us the heck alone!"

Swordmaster pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance, as he spat, "Because one of you damned brats is going to inherit the throne! The throne, I helped Void build for years!"

Grave blinked, his flaming anger dying down, replaced by shock, "W-what?"

The elder scoffed, "I am not surprised that father of yours didn't tell you anything...and you clearly don't have the brain to grasp the concept alone.."

The boy rolled his eyes at the comment.

"Void needs a heir. And he chose Fallen to be it." his eyes narrowed, "He wasn't pleased with that. But whether Fallen likes it or not it's his duty to accept it... We wished he had a legitimate heir but your father is as stubborn as a mule and he refused to marry. Instead what did he decide? To adopt some castaways...
He wanted to give Molten off to another Titan at first, and I regret not pressuring him further to do it. Maybe that would have stopped him from getting you too. But no, he just had to get attached to the child.. And all of a sudden we were out of a great fighter and a solid heir...And for what? For a cowardly son? For the likes of you?"

He sneered as he continued, closing in on Grave, "You think you have what it takes to lead a kingdom? You think your faint hearted brother has? No. Neither of you do. The world does not revolve around you, kid. Think a little farther than what you want and how you want."

Grave frowned. "You are one to talk. Dictating what goes where and who does what. No wonder Gladiator couldn't suffer you anymore..."

"Do not bring him into this, child. You do not know what happened and it is none of your business." he warned.

The boy crossed his arms, leaning back onto the pole his friend was hiding behind, "What? You think I haven't heard that you kicked him out for befriending a Tower?"

Swordmaster froze, back turned towards the impudent hybrid.

" 'For befriending a Tower' huh? Not for going out of my word, not for putting us in danger as he brung that blasted 'friend' of his to the Heights leading an army to our doorstep, not for raising the sword I made him at me...No..for having a simple friend.."

"Sounds like someone is still angry about what happened"

He whirled around facing the nonchalant boy, "OF COURSE I AM STILL ANGRY ABOUT IT!"

Scout wanted to dash away at the thundering sound of the elder's voice yet, his friend did not even budge.

"Then why do you want to make up with him if you still hate him? That must have been the reason you stayed next to 'the pests' so casually, waiting for his arrival." Grave asked, gazing right into the red eyes of the Master.

The elder backed away, guilt driping off his words,"I..." he sighed, "I don't hate him"

The boy rose slightly. That was the softest voice he had ever heard come out of Swordmaster. It almost made him feel bad for the old man..Well, almost.

"He made you happy didn't he?"

The Titan turned away again, seemingly not even a part of the conversation anymore as the memories plagued his mind. His mouth speaking without his approval.

"Yes..He was everything I had.."

"But..if you managed to love him so much..Why are you so hateful to us?", the boy pressed, "Why do you reprimand my father for his care? For having kids..if yours meant so much to you?"

"Because..." he paused, fighting back his own thoughts from escaping, "Because Titans and Towers don't mix, kid. We could hope and pray all we want, it will never happen. Not after everything..
And I knew what your father was getting himself into by adopting you..I knew too well...A world of pain...His son would never be accepted..He too would eventually want to meet others of his kind...Leaving you all alone..to rot.
Your father, bless that fool, he is even more sensitive than he lets on...If I allowed him to go through what I went through he would have been shattered beyond repair."

Grave stepped forward as Swordmaster took a seat on the brick edge, the only thing sheltering him from an early demise. The boy had never seen the bitter, sassy elder so...destroyed. He looked tired, even older than his age, pained by centuries of battles and a harsh destiny. He felt somewhat sympathetic towards him despite the awful words he usually heard from him.

Sitting down as he began, "So, really it isn't about the whole heir thing.. You think I will do to him, what Gladiator did to you.."

Without lifting his eyes from the ground, he answered, "He left me for others of his kind...And I-I want to be upset with him, like I so foolishly was back then.. B-But I cannot..He is still my child..The boy I had raised with my own hands since he was a mere toddler..abandoned by fate on that old battlefield, at the mercy of mother nature..."

Grave watched as Swordmaster shed a few tears. Good Creator, he was really going to do this wasn't he?

The boy muttered, "Do...Do you want me to come with you?"

"...What?"

"When you talk to him...Do you want me to come with you?"

"...I don't think he even wants to see me.. ten years is far too long for reconcile." He concluded, brushing his fingers against his robe, "He barely even looked my way when he arrived"

"I disagree..Medic said he was a little overwhelmed by everything...but was eager to talk to you.."

"..."

"At least give it a try...If he doesn't want to then...at least you know for sure.. Nothing else would really change...and if he does then...you might have a chance."

The elder sighed, "You have some wisdom in you kid, I'll give you that. Fine...I will try."

He stood up, before calling out with a smirk, "But that friend of yours has to come out from behind the pole."

Grave giggled as Scout winced, awkwardly stepping into the light, "H-How-?"

"Child, if you think years of war and espionage aren't enough to make me notice you hiding behind a pole then you are wrong."

The young Tower lowered his head. He lead the way for the Titan as they walked over to the stairs.

"Can..Can I ask you one last thing?"

Swordmaster stopped in his tracks, glancing behind him at Grave who's eyes were oddly glossy.
"What is the matter, child?"

"Just..." he took a deep breath, "Why do you hate me?"

The elder sighed, not truly taken aback by the question but still thinking it over for a moment, "...I chose to believe I hated you more than I actually did... Then I realized it was not you I hated... but the idea..." he paused again, "The idea, that some Towers and Titans could find happiness...resulting in children like you being born...Children from times of peace"

"...Nothing in my life has ever been peaceful, sir"

The elder nodded solemnly, "I have heard...stories of your acts. It's kids like you that also suffer the most...But it took me too long to realize that...Perhaps I too am blinded by prejudice based on my own experiences...It is hard to undo all that in a day..."

He glanced back at the child, seeing his head lowered. Not in obedience nor fear, no, this child knew no such thing...but in sadness. It would be a lie for him not say he felt touched by the boy's wish to help him...and if she was really after him they would need to know as soon as possible...For that to happen the boy had to trust them...to seek their help with if they wanted to protect the world..and the poor child chosen by the prophecy..
He actually felt himself pity Grave...as much as he wanted to blame eveything on him...Destiny was something not even a master could shape to their will.. So, how could a mere child ever do that...
Perhaps, it wouldn't hurt to make amends...They had more important things to worry about after all...

"I am a hypocrite, kid. And will always be. But what I have said to you during that meeting was...it was far too cruel...You are a part of this family, of our brethren in your own right."

Swordmaster grabbed the boy by the chin, lifting it to face him. Just as he expected, tears were streaming down his face. "Keep that head up high. I will not have the kid who just so nonchalantly confronted me, cry. You have courage, a strong will... Not even your father could look me in the eyes and raise his voice at me like that. Not even Sinister for all his boldness. And yet, you can...Maybe there is something salvageable in you... Something I could turn into a fighter."

He scanned Grave's face, but for the first time his gaze was not vicious. If anything he seemed intrigued, a small barely visible smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth. He let go of the boy's chin, Grave still baffled that he had recieved an 'apology' from the elder. It wasn't by any means a solid one but out of him? It was as good as he was ever going to get. He hurried next to Swordmaster as Scout lead them down to the lower level where the infirmary was situated.

After traveling through endless hallways they had finally reached the room, Gladiator was housed in. Medic had told Scout prior when he visited Glad' that he would stay here for a week or two. The deep cut, now stitched, displayed above his knee also revealed a broken bone during an x ray. The makeshift brace held the leg steady enough for their way here but it still needed proper treatment.
The young Tower filled Swordmaster in with everything he knew of Glad's condition before they had arrived in front of his door. The Titan was beyond worried when he had seen his son wincing every time he took a step forward. So no wonder he would demand an explanation.
.
.
.
.

Standing in front of the closed door made Master feel like his legs would give out. He had the chance to make it right... if his son even wanted to see him.
He sighed, whether he mended his relationship with his son or not...waiting out here was not going to give him any answers..The hybri-no, Grave, was right.
He had nothing to lose anymore.

With one last glance towards the two boys, who nodded to him reassuringly, he twisted the knob, taking a step into the room.

The sleeping figure of his son was lying comfortably on the bed, his leg was elevated slightly as his head sunk farther into the pillow. The Titan trudged over carefuly as to not disturb him. It was the first time in years he could take a good look at his son's face.
The young boy who left his care was now a grown man. His brunette hair was cut short. His face displayed a few new scars, one across his cheek another across his eyebrow. A few bruises adorning his arms, neck and face.
He still seemed to be as reckless as always...Charging into battle without hesitation, no doubt. Always had been a brave soul, a little careless but also selfless enough to make sacrifices.

Swordmaster brushed his thumb gently across Glad's cheek, when two  cherry-colored eyes opened sleepily to look back at him.

This time however, neither of them ran. They stayed still, taking each other in for a moment. Too many years had passed since they last saw each other.
Before Master could open his mouth to talk, Gladiator stole the first word.
"I hoped you would come"

The elder smiled sadly, "Yeah?"

"Mhm..." he mumbled, "I was scared you still hated me."

"Goodness Gladiator, I never hated you to begin with, my child. I was just..being an old fool...as always."

The Tower chuckled, "I wasn't any better either"

"You weren't to blame...You were young, you wanted your own life...I guess, I was not ready to let you go.."

"I wasn't exactly ready to leave either"

The elder bit back a tear, "And yet, I pushed you away...forced you to survive on your own out there..I forgot to be your caretaker when you needed me.."

"I wasn't exactly the easiest to raise child, I know I caused you a lot of problems and that time it was no different.. You deserved a better son.."

"I had the best one I could have ever asked for. I still do.."

Gladiator looked at his parent with wide eyes, a few tears rolling down his bruised cheeks.

"What? You think I haven't heard of your achievements? Leading a batalion of troops, training them in the way of the blade?", he snorted, "You always had what it took to be a fine swordsman."

"R-Really?"

"Mhm, and a fine man, with or without me next to you." He cupped his face,
"I am so proud of you, my son"

Tears creepped into the corner of his eyes. He thought he would never hear his Master call him his son again. He let a small sob escape his lips as he wrapped his arms around his old man. Years and years of pain and anger flowed out of him in the warm embrace of his father. He felt the man's tears fall on his shoulder making him tighten his grip. All it took was a few words..not fancy diplomatic apologies...Just a proper talk, if only they had done it sooner...but it was better late than never.

"If only you would know how scared I was when I heard you were hurt"

"I am fine, father! Everything will by alright" He comforted, " I promise, it's over now."

"Or so you think, Gladiator"

The smooth cold voice of Accelerator was inaudible through the glass screen displaying the reunion. The security sistem access he was granted by the Commander upon request, worked like a charm for his spying. No longer did he need to be everywhere at any time. He could just...lean back, relax and stare at a TV that showcased the whole base.
What a life...

He picked up his transceiver, flicking the button, "Madam, you were right once again. The old swordsman is preocupied with his son, he forgot all about the child."

After a buzz was heard through the device, a feminine voice came through, "Of course I am right my dear Accel. I always am. Our little boy never fails to go unnoticed...All he needed was a litte push from us."

"What shall we do now my lady?"

"Hmm..I want you to come and meet me tomorrow night..I have some things to discuss with you regarding our next step."

"As you wish, my lady"

"Fantastic, I knew I could always count on you my dear! Now, why don’t you go and finish off those errands Commander asked you to do?"

Accel blinked, "My lady, I do not remember telling you about those boring chores.."

"I have told you, Accel. I have eyes and ears in every corner of that base...and even futher beyond.."

"Powerful and all knowing as always, my lady"

"And you should never expect any less of me, my dear. I will see you, soon. Bye-bye!"

Accelerator turned off the device, grabbing some papers off the desk. If he were to keep up appearances and remain in Commander's good graces he had to finish his errands. He worked far too hard for far too many years to stumble now. If his leader wished him to be fast and precise like he was on the battlefield then so be it.
He opened the door, locking it carefuly afterwards as he paced down the hall.
They had a lot of work to do and the plan was to be put into motion soon..
Far sooner than even Swordmaster or Void Reaver could expect or prevent...

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

9.8K 111 11
"You are my complete opposite.. Talkative, handsome, extrovert... Why am I getting feelings for you..?" ---------- Fros...
29.1K 221 37
No... do not enter... it's hell on Earth. My past self was stupid, bewildered, and immature. Do not read his atrocities. They'll hijt your soul down...
7.5K 345 24
Tord is slowly dying, but his desire to be immortal is strong and he has a plan, a big plan. Unluckly, he's not the only one planning something... A...
10.1K 161 43
Just some headcanons that also include the "Titan Turn" story verse. (not super spoilery just imp stuff) (updates might be a little slow) If you l...