Sweet Dreams (Are Made of Thi...

By kellyann0007

Edit (Eddie) Sousa didn't expect her intern year to go like this. All because she had a one night stand with... More

Part 1 Cast (Seasons 1-3)
Chapter One: A Hard Day's Night
Chapter Three: Winning a Battle, Losing the War
Chapter Four: No Man's Land
Chapter Five: Shake Your Groove Thing
Chapter Six: If Tomorrow Never Comes
Chapter Seven: The Self-Destruct Button
Chapter Eight: Save Me
Chapter Nine: Who's Zoomin' Who
Part 1 Season 2 Announcement
Chapter Ten: Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
Chapter Eleven: Enough, Is Enough
Chapter Twelve: Make Me Loose Control
Chapter Thirteen: Deny, Deny, Deny
Chapter Fourteen: Bring the Pain
Chapter Fifteen: Into You Like a Train
Chapter Sixteen: Something to Talk About
Chapter Seventeen: Let It Be
Chapter Eighteen: Thanks for the Memories
Chapter Nineteen: Much to Much
Chapter Twenty: Owner of a Lonely Hart
Poll
Chapter Twenty-One: Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Chapter Twenty-Two: Begin the Begin
Chapter Twenty-Three: Tell Me Sweet Little Lies
Chapter Twenty-Four: Break on Through
Chapter Twenty-Five: It's the End of the World
Chapter Twenty-Six: As We Know It
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Yesterday
Chapter Twenty-Eight: What Have I Done to Deserve This?
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole
Chapter Thirty: Superstition
Chapter Thirty-One: The Name of the Game
Chapter Thirty-Two: Blues for Sister Someone
Chapter Thirty-Three: Damage Case
Chapter Thirty-Four: 17 Seconds
Chapter Thirty-Five: Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response
Chapter Thirty-Six: Losing My Religion
Part 1 Season 3 Announcement
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Time Has Come Today
Chapter Thirty-Eight: I Am a Tree
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Sometimes a Fantasy
Chapter Forty: What I Am
Chapter Forty-One: Oh, the Guilt
Poll 2
Chapter Forty-Two: Let the Angels Commit
Chapter Forty-Three: Where the Boys Are
Chapter Forty-Four: Staring at the Sun
Chapter Forty-Five: From a Whisper to a Scream
Need Suggestions
Chapter Forty-Six: Don't Stand So Close to Me
Chapter Forty-Seven: Six Days Part 1
Chapter Forty-Eight: Six Days Part 2
Chapter Forty-Nine: Great Expectations
Chapter Fifty: Wishin' and Hopin'
Chapter Fifty-One: Walk on Water
Chapter Fifty-Two: Drowning on Dry Land

Chapter Two: The First Cut is the Deepest

6.4K 212 24
By kellyann0007

It's all about lines. The finish line at the end of residency, waiting in line for a chance at the operating table, and then, there's the most important line. The line separating you from the people you work with. It doesn't help to get too familiar. To make friends. You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world. Other people are far too messy. It's all about lines. Drawing lines in the sand, and praying like hell no one crosses them.

Eddie Sousa did the only logical (okay, highly illogical) thing to do was simply not think about the fact she was pregnant and just focused on the medicine. Though, she was still taking care of herself the best she could on an intern schedule. And, luckily, she seemed to have no morning sickness after she gets up and going in the morning, though she didn't celebrate that fact in case karma or life wants to get it's jollies off and change that fact.

And, good thing she had never been one for coffee, chai tea, sure, but coffee no. It was one less thing for people to look to closely at as she started changing her habits. She still remembered the bitter burnt diesel fuel step-Stan drank. Eddie had tried it at fourteen, to see what the fuss about coffee was all about, and it was a traumatic memory, and any time she tasted coffee in any form made her want to gag. Even the surgar-y sweet stuff from Starbucks, under all that flavoring was the horrible coffee taste that ruined it. So, if her fellow interns were no the wiser on the fact that she was pregnant, since if she was a coffee drinker, it would be a big clue if she had to cut back.

She was leaning against the nurse's desk as she and Cristina listened to George and Izzie pester Meredith about the roommates wanted poster on the various bulletin boards in the staff-only areas. For the past few days Meredith had been interviewing potential roommates, and none of them had passed muster.

"Why do you put up posters for roommates if you don't want roommates?" Izzie asked Meredith confused.

"I do want roommates, we're together a hundred hours a week, you want to live together too?" Meredith asked. She wanted people that all she needed to do was say "hello", "goodbye", and "is there coffee?"

If she lived with any of her fellow interns, she'd be seeing them all the time. No breaks. And, really, they all practically lived together anyway at the hospital. Going home was just a few hours away from each other that stopped them from wanting to rip each other's throats out from spending so much time together.

"No. Ooh, you're bringing bribes now?" Cristina asked, changing the subject, Meredith had a coffee for Bailey this morning.

"I need a place to live. My mom irons my scrubs. I have to get out of there." George complained.

Eddie silently, in the deepest of her souls wished her mom was like that with her, or really showed any sign that she cared. Eddie's mother didn't know or care what Eddie was doing ninety-nine point nine percent of the time. Hell, she probably would be happy with thirty percent of the time. From what George had told her about his mother in passing, she sounded like a mother any kid would want to have.

"It's not a bribe." Meredith denied to her friend, then turned to George. "I don't think it's a good idea."

"But I can put down last, first and deposit." George offered.

"It's totally a bribe." Cristina said to Eddie who nodded.

"A sorry one at that." Eddie confirmed.

"I can cook. And I'm an obsessive cleaner." Izzie offered.

Izzy had told them about her horrible apartment. One that made Eddie's small studio feel like Versailles. And, her creepy neighbors.

"No. I just want two total strangers who I don't have to talk to, or be nice to," Meredith explained to her two fellow interns and then turned to her friend with a bit of a glare,  "and it's not a bribe, it's a mocha latte."

"It's a bribe mocha latte." Eddie said, as Meredith rolled her eyes.

"George, you're running the code team, Meredith and Eddie, take the trauma patients, Cristina, deliver the weekend labs to the patients, Izzie, you're on sutures." Bailey greeted her interns in her typical no-nonsense way.

"Dr Bailey. I was hoping to assist you in the OR today, maybe do a minor procedure? I think I'm ready. Mocha latte?" Meredith asked as she held out the mentioned mocha latte.

"If she gets to cut, I want to cut too." Cristina cried as she joined her friend in sucking up

"Yeah, me too." Izzie jumped in.

"I wouldn't mind another shot, I mean if everybody else is..." George said.

Eddie stayed quiet. Dr. Bailey was a hard task master, but she was their teacher, and they were truly only a couple weeks into their internship, they didn't deserve to be anywhere yet, except where their resident asked them to be. And, if they were lucky, they'd get put on a case with surgery time. But, until then, you worked your way up the ladder, they needed to crawl before they ran.

"Stop talking. Every intern wants to perform their first surgery, that's not your job. Do you know what your job is? To make your resident happy." Bailey said as she looked at each intern. The only intern who hadn't jumped onto asking for a surgery was Eddie, who was leaning against the nurses station with an amused expression on her face at her fellow interns.

"Do I look happy? No. Why? Because my interns are whining. You know what will make me look happy? Having the code team staffed, having the trauma patients answered, having the weekend labs delivered, and having someone down in the Pit, doing the sutures. This is why I like Sousa, she does what she is asked."  Bailey said as she takes the mocha latte. "No one holds a scalpel until I'm so happy I'm Mary freakin' Poppins."

Bailey then turned to leave, coffee in hand. Eddie was already half-way to the elevator when she heard, "Why're y'all standing there? Move! Sousa truly is the only one with sense."

Like they had been electrocuted Miranda Bailey's interns got to their assigned tasks. Meredith moves to the elevator, where Eddie and Derek Shepherd arewaiting.

"Seattle has ferry boats." Derek commented, looking at Meredith from over Eddie's curly blonde head.

"Yes." Meredith said.

"I didn't know that. I've been living here six weeks, I didn't know there were ferry boats." Derek informed her.

"Seattle is surrounded by water on three sides." Eddie said, "and I have the sudden urge to want to use the stairs."

She quickly left her friend to her previous one-night stand who happened to also be their boss' boss. It was awkward and honestly Eddie would prefer not to be around it. Especially when she was extremely hormonal.

About, ten minutes later, Meredith and Eddie were stopped by a nurse, Natalie, if Eddie remembered right.

"You the surgeons?" The nurse asked.

"Yes." Meredith answered.

"We've got a rape victim. You better get in there." She informed them, the two quickly followed her into the room.

"21-year-old female found down at the park, status: post-trauma, she came in with a GCS of 6, BP 80 over 60, head trauma, unequal breath sounds, right pupil is dilated, and she's ready for x-ray. You ready to roll?" Another nurse, Moira, informed the interns.

"Yeah. Call it in to clear CT, let them know I'm coming, load up the portable monitor, call respiratory for a ventilator, I'll get x-rays while I'm down there." Eddie ordered, noticing that Meredith seemed zoned out for a moment.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"She's going to spend a hell of a long time in recovery and rehab." Derek said as he and Dr. Burke, worked on their patient, Allison.

"If she survives." Burke commented.

"What is she, like, 5'2", a hundred pounds, she's still breathing after what this guy did to her? If they catch the guy, they should castrate him." Derek said.

Eddie agreed. It was horrible, no one male or female should ever be raped or sexually assaulted. She was the same age as Allison and similar in height and build. She could have easily taken her place. Being so young in college and medical school did bring out some freaks, but it was only to the extent of sexual comments and offers for a good time. She had never been assaulted. Just harassed.

"See how shredded her hands are? She tried to fight back." Burke said.

"Tried to? Rape kit came back negative. She kicked his ass." Derek said, amazed by his patient.

"So, we have a warrior among us, huh?" Burke said as he looked at the girl, with approval in his eyes.

"Alison. Her - her name is Alison. If we're treating a warrior, we should call her by her name." Eddie said, and Derek nodded in agreemenet.

"Alison."

"I think I may have found the cause of our rupture." Burke said as he pulled out a piece of flesh. "What is this? Does anyone know what this is?"

"Oh my god." Meredith said as she and Eddie share a shock look.

"What? Spit it out, Grey." Burke said.

"She bit it off." Meredith said, shocked.

"Bit off what?" Burke demanded.

"That's his...his penis." Eddie said, which resulted in shocked groans, mainly from the men in the room. She bit off his-his penis."

Burke can't get it into the tray fast enough. Not that anyone could blame him.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Do you know what the code team does? Saves lives. I shock a heart and then someone lives to see another day. It's upbeat. It's glass half full." George gloated to Cristina as he approached her.

"Bambi, don't say another word until after the hunter shoots your mother." Cristina ordered, annoyed at the male intern.

She would kill to be do doing anything besides delivering the weekend labs to patients. She wanted to be a surgeon not a messenger pigeon. Shouldn't they have nurses do this?

"I don't like you." George informed the Asian woman.

"Well, I have a B.A. from Smith, a Ph. D from Berkeley, and an MD from Stanford and I'm delivering lab results. It's going to take me all day to get through these." Cristina complained.

"Then get started." Bailey said as she approached her two interns alongside another male intern.

"Oh, uh, I wasn't complaining. I-I don't -" Cristina tried to come up with an excuse.

"This intern was reassigned, so he's mine, now. Have him shadow you for the day. You show him how I do things." Bailey ordered, before leaving them.

" Alex Karev, nice to meet you."

"The pig who called Meredith a nurse, yeah. I hate you on principle. I am just glad that Eddie showed you up." Cristina commented.

"And you're the pushy overbearing kiss-ass, I, uh, I hate you too." Alex commented.

"Oh, should be fun then." Cristina replied with sarcasm heavy in her tone.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie and Meredith were both left with the custody of a severed penis. Something that Eddie never thought she'd be doing. She was slightly annoyed she couldn't be in any surgeries until it was retrieved, but mainly she was tired, growing another human being was tiring, she wanted to sleep, like all the time. She was just happy to have her ice chai latte and a big cookie. Happy baby, happy mama right?

"What's that?" George asked the two blondes

"Don't ask, you don't want to know." Eddie promised the male intern.

"I do want to know. Really." George said.

"You really want to know?" Meredith asked,  he nods, he is going to regret this. "It's a severed penis."

"Okay. I didn't really want to know." George said looking a little green around the gills.

Meredith and Eddie shared a smile. Despite the fact they were just in fact babysitting a severed penis until god knows when, watching male reaction to what was in said cooler, was one of the only perks of the job right now. So far, the two girls have told eight males, and relished and rated their reaction, so far, George was pretty tame, but still funny.

" I don't know why I have to be the one who gets hugged." Cristina complained to Bailey's newest intern as they made their way to the nurses station where Eddie, Meredith, and George were at.

"Because. I don't do that. Besides, you're the ovarian sister here." Alex commented.

"Did you just call me an ovarian si- an ovarian - since when has the possession of ovaries become an insult?" Cristina asked, shocked at the 'insult'.

"Meredith and Eddie are carrying a penis around in a jar." George informed their fellow interns.

"Oh, from the rape surgery?" Cristina asked with some interest, as goes to look.

"Yeah, and it's not a jar, it's a cooler." Meredith informed her.

"Talk about taking a bite out of crime." Eddie commented dryly, which caused Cristina to laugh and agree.

As fast as she came, she quickly left, having to finish delivering the labs, there had been so many, and if she and Karev didn't look like they were making a dent, she didn't want to be in trouble.

" You okay?" George asked the two blondes.

Meredith still looked a little out of it, while Eddie seemed fine, just very interested in her cookie.

"Yeah...Alison's shoes are- The rape victim, Alison, her shoes. I have the same ones. In my locker. And I normally never wear them, because they're not comfortable, but today I did, and she was wearing the same shoes, and it's just...stupid, and I'm tired, and forget it." Meredith said, knowing it was insane to be hung up on that.

"She's only a few months older than me." Eddie commented.

"You know what you need?" George commented as he and Meredith stare at each other.

"If this gets dirty, please, don't feel the need to share." Eddie commented as she took a sip of iced chai.

"It's not dirty." Both Meredith and George said.

"It babies" George informed the young blonde. "Cute newborn babies."

"No. It's sick and twisted. We said last time was the last time." Meredith said, as Eddie tried to figure out what exactly the two have been doing. 

George looks away, unable to meet Meredith's eyes.

"You've been doing it without me?" Meredith asked, highly offended.

"Nancy Reagan lied. You can't just say no. Come on." George said, almost begged, "Ed, you need to come too."

"Do you know what would happen if anyone knew?" Meredith asked.

"I'm doing it. You can come with me...or you both can stay here, and be miserable." George said.

A few minutes later, the three interns were staring at the little newborn babies through the nursery window.  Eddie couldn't help but think that in a few months she was going to be standing here looking at her baby. Things started to feel very real, looking at her new reality in a few months.

As if her sore breasts and morning sickness wasn't enough of a reality check. These babies defiantly were. And, despite the nervous pit in her stomach and all the worries about what the hell she was going to do. She couldn't wait.

She loved this baby and she loved being a surgeon. She would hustle as she always did and find a way to make this work. She refused to be mommy-tracked and she will talk to Bailey and Richard and find out how to make this work.

Eddie was drawn out of her thoughts hearing George baby talk to the babies.

"You are such a woman." Meredith teased the male.

George's pager beeps.

"It's a code. I gotta go." George said, as he blasted out of the area.

"I need to go to the bathroom." Eddie said, then asked teasingly, "can you handle the penis is a jar while I'm gone?"

"I think I can manage. Meet you back at the nurses station." Meredith said as Eddie nodded and as she was leaving she heard Meredith mutter to the babies, "you are really cute."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Don't people get sick anymore?" Cristina asked, fed up with delivering labs, especially since Karev was slowing her down.

"I mean, how are we supposed to get any OR time if everyone's gonna just live?" Alex agreed with Cristina for the first time today.

He was a surgeon. Well, in training anyway, but wasn't it the point of the intern year and their residency to be in the OR saving lives?

"Look, I'll take ten, and you take ten. Get in, get out. No smiling, no hugging, no letting them cry, just be quick about it." Cristina offered.

"You're the one that's slow." Alex informed the woman.

"I am not slow." Cristina said offended at the mere thought. "You are slow."

"You wanna bet?" Alex challenged.

"Yeah, you're on." Cristina agreed.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was Eddie's turn to take care of the penis cooler for a while. Meredith had some roommate interviews, and Eddie figured it didn't take two to babysit the penis, and let her go and interview potential roommates, and when she was done, they'd switch.

Eddie didn't know why she felt the need to sit with Allison, the rape victim. But, she felt like if she was in this position, she'd want somebody by her side, even a stranger, until her friends and love ones came to sit vigil by her bedside.

Eddie worked on her charts as she looked occasionally up at Allison who's status hadn't changed since the last time she looked up.

She didn't notice Dr. Shepherd enter, he was surprised to see the youngest intern curled up on the chair at Allison's bedside, working on an impressive stack of charts, and a cooler, where he assumed the severed penis was.

"Oh, Dr. Shepherd, hello." Eddie said noticing the attending, the next time she looked up a few minutes later. "I just...I just...I just thought if I was alone after going through something like this, I'd like someone by my side. Even a stranger."

Derek waved her off, "it's no problem, you're doing your job."

Eddie nodded.

"Dr. Sousa. I've called every hospital in the county. Sooner or later, the guy that did this is going to seek medical attention, and when he does, that penis you're carrying around is going to nail him." Derek promised as he looked at the intern with his intense blue eyes, checking to see if she was okay.

"Where is her family?" Eddie asked curiously.

"Doesn't have any." Derek said softly, saddened that this warrior as he had taken to calling Allison, was alone.

"Oh." Eddie asked softly sending a soft, sad, look to Allison. Something they had in common.

"Both parents are dead, no siblings. She just moved to Seattle three weeks ago. Welcome to the city." Derek said.

"Yeah." Eddie agreed softly. "Poor girl."

"You okay Dr. Sousa?" Derek asked.

"Oh, yes." Eddie said trying not to cry. Stupid pregnancy hormones. Stupid family. At least Allison's family was dead, she had hoped they loved her. Eddie's family was just crappy. "She and I have that in common. No family."

"Oh." Derek said softly. "I'm sorry."

"Eh!" Eddie said with a shrug. "Not every family can be the Waltons. My parents aren't dead, just very absent. I never knew my dad, and my mom has a whole new family that I've never been part of since I was five, I haven't spoken to her since I was seventeen, she and her family went on vacation to Europe or something, leaving me behind with the reminder that when they returned I should be moved out because I'd be eighteen by them."

She felt tears well up in her eyes, but heroically pushed them down to the best of her ability.

"But, I'd like to think Allison had the best parents. A warrior like her." Eddie said.

Before Derek could say anything, shocked by the young blonde's past. She was always so happy and upbeat, he had been shocked she had such a tragic back story. He couldn't imagine not having his mom, his sisters, and their families in his life or simply cutting him off. Eddie's pager went off and she quickly collected all her things.

"See you later, Dr. Shepherd." Eddie said as she quickly raced out of the room.

Derek smiled and took Eddie's seat and decided to keep the young girl company. Just for a while anyway.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A few hours later, Eddie and Meredith were found by Cristina in the lobby.

"What're you doing down here?" Cristina asked the two of them.

"Just sitting here with our penis. What about you?" Meredith asked.

"Hiding from Alex." Cristina said, as if it explained everything, which it really did.

"I kissed Derek." Meredith informed her two friends.

"You kissed Derek." Cristina repeated, slowly.

"In the elevator." Meredith said.

"Oh, you kissed him in the elevator." Eddie repeated, dumbfounded.

"I was having a bad day. I am having a bad day." Meredith commented.

"Oh, so this is what you do on your bad days. Make out with Dr. McDreamy?" Cristina asked as she shared a look with Eddie before they got up.

"Well, that, and you know, carrying around a penis just makes everything seem so shiny and happy." Meredith commented.

"Mmm. George said Alison was wearing your shoes." Cristina commented, sharing what George told her.

"Yeah. It's weird, right?" Meredith asked.

"It's weird that you care." Cristina said honestly.

"I think it's weird." Meredith agreed.

They hear a car swerve and, looking through the glass and see a car had crashed into a post, right over the curb.

A man is staggering out of his car, his clothes soaked in blood, mainly around his crotch. He collapses. In seconds there are doctors and nurses checking him.

"I think we just found our rapist." Eddie informed her friends, and turned to a nurse. "Call security."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"So, what've we got?" Bailey asked her interns.

"Take a look." Eddie said motioning to their patient, as if it said it all. It did. They had found their rapist. He literally, delivered himself to them.

"What?" Bailey asked as she took a look. And the answer became clear.  "All right, let's get him into OR 1. Meredith, you call the chief and let him know we got the rapist."

Inside the OR Cristina, Meredith, and Eddie watched Bailey reattach what she could of the man's penis.

"I saw Alison, you can't believe the beating that she took. And then to see this..." Meredith said.

"It's like that old saying, you should see the other guy." Cristina finished.

"Why are we not attempting to reattach the severed penis?" Bailey quizzed her interns.

"Teeth don't slice, they tear, you can only reattach with a clean cut. If she wanted to slice him off with a knife..." Eddie answered. "Besides, the digestive juices didn't leave much of the flesh to work with."

"Right, so what do we do?" Bailey said with a nod.

"Sew him up minus a large part of the family jewels." Cristina answered this time.

"And his outlook?" Bailey asked.

"He'll be urinating out of a bag for a very, very long time." Meredith answered.

"Not to mention he'll never be able to have sex again." Eddie said with faux sympathy, her tone was cold.

"Oh, too bad." Meredith agreed in the same tone.

"Shame." Cristina agreed.

"Let's all take a moment to grieve." Bailey said, amused by her interns dark and twisty sense of humor. It truly was justice. Scum like this, deserved it. They were quiet for all of two seconds, if not less. "Clamp."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Later that night, or hell, maybe early morning, Bailey's interns where in their claimed spot, the creepy basement area where a few hospital beds were pushed against the wall in the corridor. They were all extremely tired and wishing for a proper nights sleep.

"My head hurts." Alex complained as his head lolled onto Eddie's shoulder.

"Maybe it's a tumor." Cristina suggested blandly.

"Yeah, you wish I had a tumor." Alex said with scoff.

"Look, I'd rip your face off if it meant I got to scrub in." Cristina said as Izzie walks in and joins them.

"I have been suturing all day. My hands are numb." Izzie complains.

"At least you're helping people." George said, his high of working on the crash team was crushed when he lost his first patient. And, then the following four after that. It could bring anyones day down.

"At least you get to practice freaking medicine." Alex complained.

" I had to send one Chinese lady away. She was like, camped out down there." Izzie complained to her fellow interns.

"Oh, poor Izzie, turning away patients, boo-hoo." Cristina said deadpanned.

"So the police say that they can't send down the crack crime scene guy for hours. So Eddie and I have to spend the night with a penis. Alex, don't say it." Meredith order.

"Ahh, it was too easy anyway." Alex commented with a shrug, as he closed his eyes, as his head continued to rest on Eddie's shoulder. She was too tired to care or move it.

"Who here feels like they have no idea what they're doing?" George asked, after a few minutes of silence.

Everyone raises their hands, except Alex.

"I mean, are we supposed to be learning something, because I don't feel like I'm learning anything." George continued.

" Except how not to sleep." Izzie said.

"Yeah, and I thought finals and medical school cram sessions were bad." Eddie said with a laugh. "I'd kill for those types of hours now."

"It's like there's this wall, and the attendings and the residents are over there, being surgeons, and we're over here, being..." Cristina stated.

"Suturing, code running, lab delivering penis-minders." Meredith finished annoyed.

"I hate being an intern." Alex groaned.

Just then, their resident entered, and looked at them and then the bed they were sitting on. The group of six groaned as they got off the bed, and let the older resident take it and they made their way to find another place to crash before they had to be on again in a few hours.

"Night Bailey." Eddie said as she heard Bailey said the same.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Finally, their sift was almost over. And, Eddie couldn't wait to get home and sleep for a while in an actual bed. Baby wasn't happy with mom at the moment. Not at all. She had managed to snag a bed in the on-call room, but, it had been all to soon when she was awoken to do her job once again.

She was changing her scrubs, feeling gross after having her now usual morning sickness, luckily with no one around.

Cristina and George were also there.

" I need a drink, a man or a massage. Or a drunken massage by a man. What's wrong with you?" Cristina asked George.

"Lost five patients on the code team today. I feel like the angel of death." George commented.

"George, 95% of all code patients can't be revived. Most of them are seriously dead before you even get there." Cristina informed the intern.

" What?!" George asked upset. "Why didn't you tell me that when I was going on and on about how great it was going to be?"

"Because. You're George, and I'm Cristina." Cristina explained as she left George to his thoughts.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie made her way to Allison's room after changing. The other place she had found herself recently. After not being able to go back to sleep in the on-call room, she had hunkered down in Allison's room to keep her company.

It seemed like Dr. Shepherd had the same idea. And, Meredith, seeing Meredith there now.

"How is she?" Eddie heard Meredith asked as Eddie leaned against the door.

"No change. Hey, Eddie." Derek said.

After a few hours in the same room. The attending and the intern had decided if they were going to be spending time with the warrior, they'd at least call each other by their first names.

"Have you been here all night?" Meredith asked both of them.

"Mm-hmm. Yup. You know I have four sisters? Very girly, tons of kids. If I was in a coma, they'd all be here. I'd want them here. Having no one? Can't imagine that." Derek said.

"It's lonely." Eddie said.

"I can." Meredith agreed. Then looked at Eddie, shocked that she had a look of understanding between the two. Abandonment. It showed on both of them.

"What're you talking about, what about your mother? She'd be in here ordering all the surgeons around. She'd fly these cowboys in from Prague to do these amazing medical procedures." Derek said shocked at Meredith response.

"That's true. I do have my mother." Meredith agreed, but Eddie noticed there was melancholy attached to it.

There was something there. But, Eddie couldn't put her finger on it.

"Well, at least she'd care enough to visit." Eddie said. "Even if it was just to throw her weight around."

Just then Eddie's pager went off.

"It's the police there here for the penis." Eddie said, then turned to Meredith and decided to give her and the attending that were clearly something going on. "I'll take it down."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Meredith and Eddie were waiting outside the OR where Derek had been operating on Allison, after she took a drastic turn only moments after Eddie left.

"Hey. I, uh, I had to leave her skull flap off, till the pressure in her brain goes down." Derek informed them as he saw them waiting.

"She's not going to make it, is she?" Meredith asked sadly.

"She's going to be fine." Derek tried to promise.

"If she ever wakes up." Eddie said softly.

"If she ever wakes up." Derek agreed with a nod.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Derek entered the rapists bedroom, like a man on a mission. He whacks the end of the bed to wake him up.

"I have good news and bad news. The good news is, Dr. Bailey stopped your bleeding. The bad news is, we're giving your penis to the cops. Have a nice life." Derek commented with hatred dripping from his words.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bailey's interns found themselves looking at the babies once more from the nursery window. And, Meredith broke the silence.

"Okay, fine, George and Izzie, you can move into the house." Meredith said.

" YES! Yes!" George yelled, happily.

"I can't believe you caved!" Izzie said as she and George hugged.

"Yes!" George said as the two interns started to dance.

" I can't believe you caved." Eddie commented with a smirk.

"I blame the babies. Toxic." Cristina said.

"There is still another bedroom, Ed, if you want to move in too." Meredith offered.

Eddie was one of the only few interns she wouldn't have minded to room with since the beginning.

"Oh, I already have a place." Eddie said, and while it was going to be cramped with a baby in a fe months, it would be less cramped, and less awkward, than to be living in a frat house raising a baby. It would harsh the mood. "But thanks of thinking of me."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie was dressed in her civilian clothes as she worked on a sketch book that rested on her crossed leg. She was just doodling, and what was once just random strokes and lines quickly became a dancer in mid-pirouette. When she heard a noise, she looked up, and saw that Allison was awake.

"Allison?" Eddie asked as she put her things aside, and went to grasp the girl's hand. "You're safe. You're at the hospital, I'm Eddie Sousa, a doctor." Eddie explained as she hit the nurse button.

"Welcome back." Derek said as he joined Allison on the other side of the bed.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie smiled as she wrapped her arm around Meredith's waist as she flung an arm over her shoulder. And the rest of Bailey's interns clumped together, as they walked out of the hospital. Their future was looking bright.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

But here's what I know. If you're willing to take the chance...the view from the other side is spectacular.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8K 1.4K 9
Mark Sloan was doing great, he'd just brought an apartment which he was in the process of convincing the love of his life to move into with him. And...
493K 11.1K 49
Madelyn grey Fraternal twin sister of Meredith grey and daughters of one of the best surgeons, Dr. Ellis Grey. Madelyn and Meredith are two different...
5.4K 54 8
Aspyn Grey-Shepherd is the daughter of Meredith and Derek. She is starting her internship at Seattle Grace Hospital. What could go wrong? *this book...
2.9K 18 3
Little Grey has more than a little crush on the super sexy new intern, Sadie. But she has no idea where she would start so she asks the two people sh...