Raccoon-(mxm) (Rever series 6)

By TheoryKierei

Hitting rock bottom wasn't something Baron had ever planned to do, but things didn't always turn out the way... More

Raccoon Two
Raccoon Three
Raccoon Four
Raccoon Five
Raccoon Six
Raccoon Seven
Raccoon Eight
Raccoon Nine
Raccoon Ten
Raccoon Eleven
Raccoon Twelve
Raccoon Thirteen
Raccoon Fourteen
Raccoon Fifteen
Raccoon Sixteen
Raccoon Seventeen
Raccoon Eighteen
Raccoon Nineteen
Raccoon Twenty
Raccoon Twenty-One
Raccoon Twenty-Two
Raccoon Twenty-Three
Raccoon Twenty-Four
Raccoon Twenty-Five
Raccoon Twenty-Six

Raccoon One

4.2K 332 189
By TheoryKierei

Lowering his phone from his ear, Baron adjusted his aching back against the cold brick wall as he heard the man on the other end of the line rambling on, but he wasn't processing what was being said any longer. It was the tenth lawyer he'd contacted, and every single one of them only pretended to consider his side of the story before quickly changing the subject to their price for representation.

The ones he'd called had been the cheapest in the city, but even the lowest ones were evidently too expensive for him now. His wife had cleaned out their joint bank account and somehow managed to get his father to put her name as the main collector on his will... right before he died of cancer.

Needless to say, he ended up with very little to his name after that whole chain of events and, unfortunately, there was more. Because, what were a few stumbles if one never really finished falling?

Thus, when the man on the other end of the phone finally realized he wasn't listening anymore and hung up, a new chime began to emanate from the device.

It was his work calling.

Well, one of his three jobs.

He'd worked nearly every day for the past two and a half years. Ever since his daughter was born. He had been head over heels in love with his wife, too, and had worked especially hard so that she could have anything she wanted while staying home with their little girl.

Everything changed, however, when he first mentioned considering a daycare for their daughter. His wife had immediately shut him down, saying that she was the only one that could care for her. It had been a bit of a surprise that she wasn't at least interested in looking at some of the local ones, but he'd shrugged it off and decided to give her more time.

Six months later, and absolutely bone tired, he'd asked again.

That was when things began to get nasty.

His wife not only shut him down again, but told him that he didn't give a damn about her or their daughter. He'd tried to stand up for himself at that point, telling her that he needed help with the bills and couldn't physically work three jobs anymore, but then things became physical.

The first time she hit him in front of their daughter was the last time he'd dared to argue. Unfortunately, things still got worse. He eventually began to get sick from working so much and eating so little from stress. Each day he missed work she'd berate him, and if he dared call out a second day in a row, even if he needed it, she'd call him weak and worthless.

Blinking slowly as raindrops began to fall from the darkening sky above him, Baron tilted his head against the dirty bricks and stared down at his ringing phone.

I don't want to answer it.

He didn't want to do anything besides talk to his daughter, but he couldn't even do that.

Maybe I am worthless now.

Even though his mind was a mess, instinct still had him reaching for his phone and lifting it up to his ear before it could go silent.

"Hello, sir," he said quietly, afraid that if he spoke too loud, something else might go wrong.

"I'm sorry to have to say this, but your performance recently has made us have to reconsider your employment..."

My... what?

He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"I... I just closed that massive deal. The most money you guys have made in five years..." he said, his voice shaking as he tried to blink back tears, completely confused.

The man on the other end continued as if he hadn't heard him.

"We're sorry that our company didn't end up being a good fit for you and we hope that you find a better one soon."

Before Baron could respond again, the man hung up, ending his best paying job, and taking with it the two thousand dollar bonus he'd been promised if he could manage to close the deal with their competitor. Hell, the only reason he was even in Virginia was to close that deal!

"Four months of discussions, and emails, and video meetings..."

Leaning forward, he pressed his forehead to his bent knees and hugged them as the tears began to flow freely.

"I spent so long on that deal."

He'd even worked through one of the rare times he was normally able to get home for dinner with his family to make sure that nothing would go wrong with it.

On top of that, his other two jobs wouldn't come close to paying for the lifestyle his wife wanted...

"Not that she needs you anymore, anyways."

She'd taken more than enough money from his dying father to be able to live comfortably for several years. Well, perhaps not that long, if she continued spending it on designer junk like he'd seen before she'd cut him off from the account.

The sound of a car horn snapped him out of his depressing thoughts and drew his tired eyes toward the street, then past it toward a bridge leading across a bay. He'd driven over it multiple times in the past three days in the car his company had lent him... that he'd just returned since he'd planned on leaving later this evening.

I don't want to be here anymore.

He couldn't go back to what he'd had without a lawyer he couldn't afford, but the only thing in his life that he wanted was his little girl.

Slowly pushing himself back to his feet, Baron grabbed the handle of his luggage but left his phone on the ground.

Besides, he wouldn't need it any longer, anyways.

Walking in a daze, he somehow made it all the way down the long stretch of sidewalk that led to that beautiful bridge, then crossed the street without bothering to look. He didn't hear any horns, though, and nothing hit him, so it had probably been a red light.

It was unfortunate luck, but at the same time, he didn't want to inconvenience anyone else trying to go about their own lives. Once across the street, he continued his trek, a smile slowly finding its way onto his face as he considered the height of the bridge.

His shift fidgeted nervously in his mind, but it didn't dare question him.

I know you're tired, too. You've been helping me keep going for so many years, yet you haven't even gotten a chance to climb a single tree during that time.

His wife had thought that his shift was disgusting and forbid him from using it. Especially in front of their daughter, who had inherited her mother's cute feline form.

I'm sorry that I've wronged you, but I can't do this anymore.

He came to a stop near the top of the bridge as wind whipped his hair about and rustled his suitcoat jacket. He was honestly dressed to kill. Ready to take on the world and look good doing it... but he was also, evidently, dressed to die, too.

The only real safeguard against suicides that was in place on the bridge was a simple telephone about twenty feet away, but the only person he wanted to call, that he could still call, would be unable to receive it.

Giving an exhausted, quiet laugh, Baron set his suitcase against the railing, then easily hopped over it. The ledge was extremely narrow on the other side, barely giving him enough room for his feet.

Not wanting to cause a scene and back up traffic, he calmly bent his knees slightly as he turned to face outward.

He could sense his animal get more restless within his mind, but he knew that it wouldn't matter soon.

We'll just go rest for a bit. Won't it be nice to sleep in for once?

His animal didn't seem too sure, but he couldn't blame it. Instincts were a powerful thing, and it had very good ones. It hadn't liked his wife from the beginning, but he'd ignored it.

I owe you an apology, but I'm sorry, I can't make it up to you any other way than this. Let's just leave.

He was just letting his fingers slip from the railing when he felt his heart suddenly jerk in his chest as his vision flickered in and out!

What...?

Everything after that happened so quickly that he wasn't able to do anything besides simply watch as it took place.

In the blink of an eye he had shrunk to an eighth of his size. At the same time, little black paws had reached out, desperate to grab hold of anything they could as his suitcoat jacket and pants blew away in the wind. His vision went black for a moment after that, but he could still feel the adrenaline rushing through his system as little scratching sounds met his ears.

Then, suddenly, his vision was partially back. With black dots swimming across from eye to eye, he watched as his little clawed paws scrambled to keep hold of the concrete ledge he'd evidently fallen over.

They were just-barely holding on and constantly had to reach forward as his weight forced them to slide closer and closer to the edge.

It's okay to let go, little one.

Of course, it didn't listen. Instincts outweighed everything in the end, forcing his animal to try its hardest to get back to safety. For nearly five minutes it fought, and when his vision was just about to black out again and he thought his other half was going to lose its battle, his little body was suddenly pulled the slightest bit forward by those little paws. Then, after a moment of hard panting and a stressed, shrill cry, one paw reached forward again... as the other one abruptly slipped.

His vision disappeared abruptly as his heartbeat thundered in his ears and wind buffeted his little animal. He could feel them sliding backwards to the edge again, and had no doubt that his other half had finally run out of energy to fight.

His own consciousness was slipping at the same time as he came to peace with what was about to happen.

I'm going to go to sleep first. We'll be able to play forever once we get to the other side.

He drifted off moments later and didn't hear the wind swirling around them as they fell.

Nor did he feel any impact from hitting the water, but that was probably for the best.

He would be free from all of the stress now.

They would be free.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 188 13
( sorry, I forgot to fix the description until now) Eighteen year old Corbin, a dish washer for a small restaurant, gets mixed up in the Mob. But th...
51.1K 2.5K 19
Iago Bruin struggles to navigate life's changes as he approaches his 18th birthday.
225K 19.5K 32
Pyre has lost interest in just about everything besides sex and food. His life had long-since fallen apart, and at best, he figured that he had maybe...
735K 38.2K 22
Corruption That was the reason why the hammer crashed hard on wood, why the judge sneered down at him or why he felt his heart sink heavily in his bo...