Older || Sequel To SOS

By Sprinting_Ginger

Things Luke has had said to himself too many times in one summer: "I don't want to get older without your hea... More

Story Info
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Epilogue

Thirty-Nine

432 19 10
By Sprinting_Ginger

"Did our house get bigger while we were gone?" Elodie asks, her left arm sitting gently over Atlas's body in the car seat as Luke pulls into the driveway.

"Sorry, that's my fault, I simply had to build each wall a couple feet taller and wider while I've been here this week." Rebecca smirks as she turns to eye her daughter, teasing her for her question.

"It does feel bigger somehow." Luke answers more kindly as he puts the car in park. "But I think it might just be an illusion due to how small our girl is."

"Ya." Elodie sighs, "I'm nervous to have her home. Grateful she's healthy enough, but nervous she's going to get sick or something."

"She's as tough as they come, El. She'll be just fine. Now, let's get you inside and comfortable." Rebecca offers softly, slipping out of the passenger seat as Luke does the same from the driver's side.

Rebecca helps Elodie out of the car as Luke grabs Atlas's seat and heads inside. Rebecca and Elodie follow more slowly due to the tender pain in El's stomach and especially in her incision. She still isn't convinced three days was long enough and she won't simply split back open now that they took out the staples.

"Oh." Elodie lifts a hand to cover her gasp as she steps into the house. A big pink and white banner hanging over the entryway with balloons. "Welcome home baby Hemmo" written across it in gold lettering.

"Welcome home is right." Luke steps back into view, this time with Atlas snuggled in his arms. "This is our home, baby girl. You get to grow up here, safe, protected, and loved." He coos, kissing her forehead softly.

"It does feel good to have her home, and to be home." Elodie smiles, her emotions bubbling close to the surface.

"It does. Now, what do you want first, pretty girl? Food, a proper shower, a nap?" Luke smiles as he asks.

"A shower, and food. But shower first."

"What do you want to eat, I can order us food and cuddle sweet Atlas while Luke helps you shower." Rebecca speaks up again.

"Chicken tenders." El laughs, "You should know that by now."

"I was just double checking."

"Thanks, Rebecca, for everything you've done for us this week. We're going to miss you when you head back home in a couple days." Luke offers as he slips his sleeping daughter into her arms carefully.

"I've gotta get all the grandma snuggles in with this precious girl before I have to head back to St. Louis. Plus, I'd do anything for my baby girl too." She turns to look at El again, smiling softly.

"Thanks, mom. It means the world to have had you here with us this week." El offers back before accepting Luke's hand and letting him help her up the stairs slowly.

"Wait." Elodie stops as Luke grabs the doorknob to their room, turning instead to the one across the hall, stepping carefully into the nursery and flipping the light on. She can't help the tears that fall as she takes it in, fully put together finally and better than she could have imagined. The soft creamy colored walls and furniture contrasting perfectly with the two quotes she'd found for the canvases over the crib. I love you more than all the stars and follow the moon printer in white on the black canvases with corresponding simple artwork on each.

"For fucks sake." Luke mumbles slightly exasperated, catching Elodie's attention who has to look up at her fiancé and then to where his eyes are focused before realizing what he is scowling at.

A loud laugh escapes her that she can't hold in as she notices the collage hanging over the dresser. "I love Jack." She adds before walking across the space to take in the now seventy or so postcards from around the world, hung on twine by miniature clothespins.

"I can't believe he has this many friends, honestly." Luke adds with a shake of his head, an amused smile on his face though.

"Oh, stop. It's cute. And it will remind Atlas of all the people in the world who love her."

"Ya, especially uncle Jack, which was the point of the whole thing anyway."

"I'm glad she has uncles who love her enough to do something like this, she deserves that kind of family, Luke." Elodie smiles sadly.

"Hey, you deserve that kind of family too, El. Don't be sad please. I promise I do appreciate this project, but as it is my brother who did it, it's also a bit annoying. I'm so glad Atlas has such a strong family. I promise it's not that at all." Luke frowns, hugging Elodie gently to his chest.

"Hey, Luke?" Elodie sighs, trying to relax into his hug.

"Yes, pretty girl?"

"I want to find out if I have that kind of family, and I want to find out soon."

"Already?" Luke pulls back, genuine surprise and a bit of worry behind his big blue eyes as they meet hers.

"I have a lot of questions, and seeing how much love your brothers have given to Atlas, and Pete too, I want to know if I have that. If my dad is as amazing as yours, if my uncle is as wonderful as Atlas's are. If I have a place that I belong without being an addition. A place I should have always been. I want to know, and I want to be a part of it if it's waiting for me."

"You were never an addition to this family, Elodie. From the very beginning you have been the strong foundation for our family. I need you to know that."

"I know, but I am an addition to Rebecca and Peter's family. And I am an addition to your actual family and the band family. And my sisters and I are only sisters due to all being additions to a family. And I'm okay with all of that, and I love every part of each family I have found or created. But... part of me will always want to be an original piece, one that wasn't grafted in, one that was from the start and should have always been. It's different, and I don't mean that in a way that negates any of the families I have, but I want to belong somewhere, and be wanted there, because I share some sort of biological relation to them. Is that okay?"

"Of course it's okay, pretty girl. I'm just scared to see you get hurt again, and that will stay a fear until I know these people won't hurt you. You've been through enough."

"This is something I've wanted my whole life, Lu. To find my dad, my family, the place I belong. It was childish to dream of a long lost dad, of someone who could rescue me from my world in hell, so I pushed it away. It was so easy to believe he was the man my mom told me he was when I was eighteen and angry. But Stella has given me hope, and I want to be brave enough to discover for myself if that dream can still come true for little El."

"Whether or not it comes true, just know, you and I are related through biology now, Elodie. You and I share a beautiful baby girl who is half you and half me, and she will always be a testament to the fact that we are a biological family. If you want to do this, you have my full support. I will talk to anyone you need, arrange any meetups, whatever it is. Just ask. And if it all falls short of your hopes and dreams I will be here to pick you up and love you the way you deserve through the rest of our lives."

"Thank you, Luke. I think, for this one, I want to be able to do it myself. With your support, but I need to be the one speaking for myself, it's the only way."

"You are without a doubt the bravest, strongest, most beautiful woman I've ever known, Elodie Stewart. I am forever proud to be the one who gets to love you." Luke chuckles, emotion clear in his tone as he hugs her again.

"Will you ask Stella to send us my dad's number, I'd like to reach out sooner rather than later." Elodie whispers into his chest.

"Of course, I'll text her as soon as we are done showering up."

"Thank you. And Luke, remember, none of this would have ever been possible without you. The support and love you've shown me over the last five years has been everything. And despite how shy I know I still am, you have helped me heal to the point I feel confident enough in myself to do this. Before I had you, I never could have tried. I love you forever for everything you've done for me, the obvious and less so."

"Loving you is as easy as breathing, El. You don't have to thank me for doing it. Now, should we get you cleaned up? We don't want your dinner to get cold, or Atlas to need you before you're clean." He smiles, leaning down to kiss her gently a couple times.

"Ya, and thanks again, Luke. For understanding and trusting me to do this."

"Always."

———————————
OMG an update! 😱 no but really, eleven days until the semester is over and then updates will actually be back!!

Thoughts on Luke and El's conversations here??

Thank you for your patience over the last few months! It means the world that you've waited for the rest of this story, I can't wait to share it with you.

I love you guys!!!

~M =)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

786K 28.3K 28
❝ you're the only boy who's ever made me forget about all the bad, you're my distraction ❞ © hemmkinks **warning: deals with depression/self harm/su...
541K 5K 57
Preferences and imagines from tumblr about 5 Seconds of Summer. (Mostly mature)
677 44 25
"You have no idea how much I want to be in Calum's position right now but only if I was your boyfriend things would have been different" ☆ She loved...
104K 4.3K 27
" I felt simply more than something this time, more passion, more love and maybe even safety. It was as if he was always there to protect me or somet...