His Mafia Queen

By TamaraLush

He'll protect her with his life... but who will protect her from him? ˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗ Riley Murphy is an ambitious... More

A Well Read Man
Little and Fierce
Don't Call Me Baby
Evil
A Fresh Hell
Anything He Wants
A Twist
A Forbidden Kiss
Depraved and Desperate
Indecent
Dirty Mind
Torture
Deadly Questions
A Bad Girl
A Reluctant Transformation
His Possession
Every Delicious Thing
Don't Look Back
Greedy Little Girl
Teasing
A Spanking
Harder, Faster
Sweet as Sugar
Going Home
Shiny Sexy Things
No Answers
An Aphrodesiac
Only You
Lost
A Spark in the Forest
Mysteries of the Past
Blood Red
Prisoner of the Past
Dangerous Secrets
A Matter of Trust
Haunted
Confession
In Bed With the Devil
Red Flags
Power Play
His True Self
The End of the Beginning
Possession
Secrets and Lies
Falling
Always a Gangster
Moth and Flame
Ravenous
A Muse From the Past
Breaking Apart
Rage
Taken By Force
Altered State
The Truth
Possession
Toys
Drinks With Friends
Danger
All Wrong
A Gift
An Inconvenient Truth
This is the Life
Walking Away
My Love
Blood of a Different Kind
Pain
Dreams and Doubts
Teasing Without Touching
An Unexpected Visitor
Friends Without Benefits
Call Me
Not a Prisoner
Devilishly Flirtatious
The Circle of Lust and Love
Protected
Dry and Sparkling
Screams in the Night
Trauma
Unprepared
A City That Never Sleeps
Uncertainty
Waves of Pleasure
Unwelcome News
Admitting the Truth
An Ending
Moving On
The Villain
Strike Out
Desire That Won't Fade
Unwanted Changes
Shame and Guilt
Again the Magic
Time to Grovel
Need and Love
Lost Without You
The Question
The Answer
Saying Yes
The Girl Who Makes Him Beg
Dirty
Domestic Bliss, Part I
Domestic Bliss, Part II
Father and Son
The Truth About Gabriel
A Deal With the Devil
Revealing Details
Blood Red Roses
His Protective Instincts
The First Step
The Missing Link
An Unexplained Disappearance
A Spanking in the Air
Meet the Parents
A Shocking Revelation
Luck of the Irish
The Last Supper
Love Bullets
Drowning
Goodbye, For Real
A Fresh Start
Twin Flame
Epilogue

A Dinner From Hell

2K 131 4
By TamaraLush

RILEY

The awkward moment lingers like a foul odor before Gabriel stands abruptly. "Come on, let's go check on dinner."

He holds out his hand and I climb to my feet, still unsteady. Once indoors, we almost run into a man in a chef's coat.

"Sir, I was just coming to find you. Dinner's ready, and your father is already in the dining room."

"Thank you," Gabriel says, squeezing the man's upper arm.

We walk hand-in-hand down the long corridor to the formal, gothic-looking dining room. Inside, Gennaro is sitting at the head of the table.

Where Gabriel usually sits.

But my boyfriend — wait, fiancé — doesn't miss a beat. He slides into the seat next to his father, and I take the chair opposite him.

"My son, he is so sensitive, no?" Gennaro muses as he swirls amber liquid in his glass. "I merely tease but he has no sense of humor lately."

I resist the urge to leap to Gabriel's defense. Getting into a verbal sparring match will only make tensions worse. But the mocking, superior tone Gennaro uses when speaking of his only son makes my blood pressure rise.

I take a long pull of the wine that's already in a glass on the table instead. Gennaro's sharp gaze tracks my every move. I set down the glass carefully.

"Shall we?" I ask with forced brightness. After an interminable two hours I'm more than ready for this strained cocktail hour to end.

As soon as we're all settled, a server enters with champagne. I almost groan aloud. More booze? I need food, and fast. The server pours and I catch a glance at the bottle. It's one of the ultra-expensive brands.

Gennaro raises his champagne flute.

"To your engagement. May you have a long and prosperous union." His smile doesn't reach his razor-sharp eyes.

Unease skitters down my spine but I force myself to return the painfully formal toast. As I sip, servants sweep in bearing the first course on silver trays.

Between bites of creamy burrata capped with sweet figs and tart balsamic glaze, Gennaro continues his passive aggressive needling.

"Have you set a date yet? I assume you'll want a lavish affair that befits a Greco bride. Gabriel's mother had seven hundred guests at our wedding."

I nearly choke on a chunk of cheese and grab my water glass. Gabriel's mouth thins to a hard line. "We haven't discussed specifics. But Riley prefers understated elegance, and I agree. Something on the beach, amore? Perhaps here, or on the beach we were at the other day?"

For a flash, I imagine a simple wedding at the place where we picnicked. That would be so blissful. I smile and am about to respond when Gennaro snorts.

"Understated? No son of mine will have some backyard reception."

I shift uncomfortably as Gennaro argues against the idea of a small, intimate wedding. His booming voice echoes off the formal dining room's scarlet wallpapered walls and crystal chandelier.

"A Greco reception must impress! I will arrange for the country club ballroom and call my friend the Archbishop about using the cathedral downtown."

I meet Gabriel's pained gaze from across the gleaming tablescape laden with fine bone china and an excess of cutlery. He takes a fortifying sip of Brunello while I stab moodily at my truffle ravioli, irritation simmering.

Gennaro doesn't touch his own plate. He's too busy waving around his steak knife as he details his grandiose ideas, oblivious to my increasing drunkenness and hunger. I give up and begin eating.

"And you'll need bridesmaids, Riley, lots of them! All those chicks drive the wedding costs up. Come to think of it..." Gennaro raps the table with his knuckles. "Lisa. She should be in your bridal party."

"Abso-fucking-loutely not," Gabriel grinds out.

"Who's Lisa?" I ask.

"My new girlfriend," Gennaro says.

At the same time, Gabriel sneers. "It's a woman he met at the Pink Pony the night he got out of prison."

I practically choke on my champagne. The Pink Pony is a strip club in the seedy part of the city. I thought Gabriel was joking when he said his father was dating a stripper.

"Well, um..." I sputter.

Gennaro and Gabriel glare at each other. Ever the peacemaker, I try again. "We've got so many details to iron out. After Gabriel and I sit down and discuss everything, we'll chat with you, okay? We still need to tell my parents."

I imagine what Lisa the Stripper looks like, and then I create a scenario in my mind of Gabriel's father meeting my dad. A cringe flows through me.

We eat in relative silence and I'm grateful for the pause. It's like a truce, but with delicious ravioli.

But the calm is short lived. Gennaro sets down his fork and steeples his fingers. "So, Gabriel. When shall I expect tiny Greco feet pattering through this villa?"

He fixes me with a pointed stare, oblivious to Gabriel's clenched jaw and my wide eyes. The tiramisu arrives, cream dusted layers sweetening my tongue as I stall to form a coherent reply.

Gabriel breaks the strained silence first in a sharp tone lacking its usual musical notes.

"What Riley and I decide privately about family expansion is not open for discussion or debate."

Gennaro takes a huge mouthful of dessert and that's when I decide that I really don't like this man. "Family should discuss matters of lineage. As the elder of this family, I merely want to ensure continuation of our proud name."

His shrewd gaze focuses on me across the flickering candles. "You do plan to take the Greco name, I expect?"

Pinot noir sloshes over the lip of my glass as I gesture sharply. Surely Gabriel realizes I'm too drunk at this point to worry about the words coming out of my mouth.

"Not sure yet. I have career considerations."

The air becomes thick with tension. Gennaro looks aghast at my words. His fingers fiddle with his ostentatious gold cufflinks. The contrast of his old-world aesthetic with Gabriel's sleeker style punctuates the generational divide. I take another gulp of wine for liquid courage.

Gennaro tosses his linen napkin down. "As my daughter-in-law, your only career will be supporting my Gabriel. Why should you continue slaving for pennies at that newspaper? We could buy that damn newspaper and lay you off."

Gabriel closes his eyes, lines bracketing his sensual mouth. Gentle affection infuses his voice when he replies to his father. "Enough. Riley and I are equals. She will continue her journalism or pursue any dream she wants."

Why does Gennaro have to be like a boorish Dean Martin caricature from some old Las Vegas movie? I half expect him to growl "capisce!" and butt out a cigar. Gabriel must read the growing tension in my tight shoulders and white knuckles because he edges my tiramisu plate. Probably to soak up the booze roiling my stomach.

But Gennaro cuts us both off with a raised hand before stabbing into his tiramisu again, undeterred. "Some traditions stand, such as the first-born son you'll provide before next year. My father told your nonna the same thing on my wedding day."

That's it. The floodgates open as pinot fueled anger makes me abandon reticent politeness. How dare some mafia fossil dictate my reproductive choices?

"Now, listen," I slur, waving my hand in the air and smirking. "Just because I'm marrying..."

Gabriel jumps in first before I fully explode. "Don't speak to her that way. Riley's value isn't breeding more Grecos. We decide our future, period." His formidable scowl could melt steel but Gennaro looks merely amused by his son's rare defiance.

I picture flipping the elegant table in that moment but satisfying visions of cannolis smashing Gennaro in the face evaporate when Gabriel takes my trembling hand, grounding me.

I slump back in my chair, the effects of too much booze and too little food catching up fast. Gabriel's thumb strokes my wrist in silent solidarity while glasses of viscous neon-yellow Limoncello are placed before us.

Gennaro raises his tiny glass. "To family!"

The bittersweet liqueur burns going down. I suppress a grimace. But proper etiquette chains me here exchanging stilted small talk about the weather this summer over slices of pungent Gorgonzola.

My gaze keeps getting pulled to the antique gilded mirrors lining the dining room. Distorted reflections of crystal chandeliers glitter and stretch. Gabriel is a collection of disassembled parts: strong nose and chin hovering disembodied until I force my eyes to focus.

Gennaro's image multiplies too. One of him lecturing us is plenty. I set down cheese I can no longer choke down and press my palms to my temples. Gabriel's hand finds my knee under the table.

"I think Riley needs to get home and rest," he says firmly.

Gennaro tuts, swirling the dregs of brandy in his bulbous snifter. "It's barely nine o'clock! Youth today, no stamina." He sets his drink down with a definitive clink. "Very well. I shall say goodnight. We have much more to discuss later."

Ice ripples down my spine at his heavy emphasis on the final word. My foil wrapped senses rally enough to stand politely. Gabriel clasps my elbow to steady me. We endure Gennaro's bristly cheek kisses that reek of limoncello before he offers Gabriel a rough pat on the shoulder.

"Remember what I said earlier, figlio." Gennaro's eyes bore into his son. "The truth has a way of revealing itself, no matter how deep you try to bury things in the sand."

With that cryptic statement he whirls away, Italian loafers soundless on marble floors. Gabriel's grip tightens on me. I sway into his strength, his cologne familiar amidst the weird odor of desperation and tradition that Gennaro leaves behind.

"Let's get you out of here, blondie," Gabriel murmurs.

Outside the air hangs heavy and humid. I gulp lungfuls trying to clear my drunken, dark thoughts.

Drowning out Gennaro's arrogance all night took serious effort. Now his parting words echo hauntingly as Gabriel hands me into the waiting chauffeured car.

I slump against buttery leather while we pull away from the Greco estate. I grip Gabriel's arm as if it's a life preserver.

What did Gennaro mean about buried truths? My intuition prickles uncomfortably but the booze swishes my concerns away. I'm lucky the short drive home is uneventful considering how much I imbibed.

Gabriel watches me closely on the elevator ride up to my condo, steadying my occasional sways. Inside he insists on getting me water before tucking me beneath cool cotton sheets.

He brushes tangled hair off my forehead with a tenderness that makes me catch his hand and press a clumsy kiss to rough knuckles.

"Thank you for not exploding during that shit show of a dinner."

He kisses my forehead. "I should be thanking you."

"Hmm. And thanks for taking care of me now even though 'm a mess." My tongue feels sluggish.

Gabriel smooths his thumb over my bottom lip. "You're my heart, Riley. I'll always take care of you."

I try to shake off Gennaro's pointed words from my foggy mind. Gabriel and I vowed we'd be honest about everything.

Unease battles fuzzy exhaustion in my brain.

In the end I succumb to blackness. But his father's words haunt me even in dreams.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585 70 8
𝐇𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐫, 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐮𝐩 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐥. "...
295 1 10
Siena Xander moved to London five years ago for a fresh start. After an abrupt end to her last job, she scores a role as a barmaid at one of London's...
937 36 25
A Dark Romance One man, driven by an unwavering devotion, will stop at nothing to protect her. His selfless acts mask a storm of emotions, but just...
66.6K 3.2K 46
[COMPLETED] Three years ago, she ran away from something she doesn't want to go back to, and never looked back. But that doesn't mean she's safe. 21...