Dua-e-Khair

By wiwihere

Dua-e-khair is a compilation of urdu romantic short stories which is entertaining as well as heart warming. I... More

Prologue 1
Nissa (1)
Nissa (2)
Nissa (3)
Nissa (4)
Nissa (5)
Nissa (6)
Nissa (7)
Nissa (8)
Nissa (9)
Nissa (10)
Epilogue (1)
Prologue 2
Sahil (1)
Sahil (2)
Sahil (3)
Sahil (4)
Sahil (5)
Sahil (6)
Sahil (7)
Sahil (9)
Sahil (10)
Sahil (11)
Sahil (12)
Epilogue (2)
Sahil (Extended Scene)

Sahil (8)

604 51 6
By wiwihere

10 Years Ago:

Lahore, Pakistan

"You're lying right?"

"Saba if you're joking toh please yeh mazak ka time nahi hai" Ahil expressed.

"Ahil.... I am not joking... Mein wakai ja rahi houn" Saba said softly.

He looked into her eyes this time, hoping for her to say that it was all a joke, that she was just messing with him and all of this wasn't actually true.

"I know it's sudden for you.... And I am sorry too.... But it's for the best" She explained.

"Best?.... For who?.... Clearly not for me" Ahil seemed quite pissed.

Saba stared at him with a sadistic look on her face, she didn't want to lose her composure at any cost.

The surroundings became unbreathable for Ahil. The walk that he thought might be comforting for him, turned to be the most painful one he ever imagined. Taking few deep breaths he continued:

"Tum ny mujhe pehle kiyoun nahi bataya.... All this time you knew what was going to happen yet you choose silence instead.... Can I ask why?.... Yah yeh janany ki bhi aukat nahi hai meri?"

"Aise baat nahi hai Ahil.... I had to leave sooner or later.... I just couldn't bring myself to tell you the truth.... Yeh sab meri sooch sy zaida bura turn out howa hai.... And I am seriously sorry for all of this" She replied.

"Tumhein mere sy itna bara jhoot bolny ki zaroorat nahi thi.... You never lied to me yet you did anyway.... And now you just exploded to my face that you're leaving tomorrow.... I mean that's insane.... Didn't see that coming" He laughed mockingly.

"Ahil you're over reacting..." She said.

"Saba mein over react nahi kar raha.... I am just shocked.... Not because you're leaving tomorrow but because you lied to my face, all this time you kept this from me just because you didn't have the guts to say so" He blasted.

"Mein maan rahi houn apni ghalati.... I know I messed up" She responded.

The streets grew as quite as they could be. Both stood under the light of the lamp post, unable to comprehend what was going on. The silence was disturbing.

"What now?" Atlast Ahil broke the spell.

"I don't know" She said.

"What do you mean you don't know?" He asked as he faced her.

"Mujhe sirf yeh pata hai keh mein Canada ja rahi houn kal.... Mein kuch aur sochna nahi chahti.... I have too much on my plate right now" She exhaled.

"Am I being too much for you?" Ahil said in the most polite way ever.

"It's not you.... It's this.... It's us.... Or maybe it's me.... I don't know" Saba cried.

"Kia chahti ho?.... Bol do whatever you want to say.... But please don't lie this time" he asked.

Saba held his arm, looked up at him and said:

"I don't think so I can do this anymore.... You know how we both feel about long distancing and stuff.... I just want us to remain friends without one of us getting hurt at the end.... Tum samajh rahay ho na?" She let her thoughts out infront of him.

"You already gave up before even trying.... We can make this workout Saba.... Hamesha toh aise nahi rahein gy na.... Atleast give it a chance" He begged. He wanted to cry out loud, the only woman after his mother that he ever trusted was Saba Lodhi, the feeling of abandonment began to creep inside of him. His heart started to ache. Sometimes, when you love a person too much, the pain of their loss feels as intense as physical pain. And Ahil was about to face this bitter reality.

"Ahil I have been thinking about this for last couple of months and this is the only solution which seems to make sense.... Mein khud bhi bohat stressed houn, I don't want to cause more problems for myself, I-" She said.

"Problems.... I get it now Saba.... I really do get it.... I think I should go home" he said as he took few steps away from her.

"Ahil but we haven't-" Saba was interrupted.

"I.... I really need to leave" he left. Saba stood there all by herself, questioning her actions all along, she came back home. She wept loudly as soon as she entered her room. Hurting Ahil was the last thing she wanted to do but this heartbreak would've been much better than the later one, she kept thinking of him, the way he begged her to make things work, the way his eyes showed his deepest fear, all of it was disturbing.

Later that night, Saba was in her covers, weeping as she was scrolling through her gallery, reminiscing her finest moments with Ahil, she got a text. It was from Ahil.

[Are you awake?]

[Can we talk? I'm outside your house]

Saba instantly shut her phone. After few minutes she went downstairs and watched him through the CCTV footage. He waited and waited, even texted her again and again but she didn't respond. Almost waiting outside for an hour, Ahil went back. Saba was watching him all along, she blamed herself for this, obviously she was the one abondaning him.

She didn't sleep for a second. Her flight was in two hours and she had to leave for the airport. On her way, she stopped in order to post a letter in the mailbox. Her father had gone before everyone else, her mother and nano was accompanying her. Both the ladies knew that she was upset because of leaving her friends and homeland behind but little did they know that she was leaving her heart behind. It didn't belong to her anyways, it was Ahil's from the very beginning.

"He will be fine" She knew how brave Ahil was.

"It will hurt but it will be over soon.... Breaking up today is better for us rather than doing it in future.... Woh cope kar ly ga" She was constantly in a battle with herself. She knew she would never be able to forgive herself for this. With utmost regret and pain she closed her eyes and the car drove away.

------------------------

Present Day

Toronto, Canada

"Hello Good Afternoon, How may I help you?" the receptionist said while attending the call.

"Hello there, May I speak to Mr. Ahil Hussain please?" Saba's Nano replied.

"May I know who is this calling?" the receptionist asked.

"Shireen Khalid" Nano responded.

"Please hold for a second Miss" the receptionist said.

After few seconds, the call was directed to Ahil's office and he answered it.

"Assalam o Alaikum" Ahil said.

"Walaikum Assalam Bete.... Aap ny pehchana mujhe?" Nano asked.

"Jee Shireen yeh koi pochny wali baat hai.... Aap ko kaisy bhol sakta houn mein" Ahil responded.

"Bhole bhi nahi aur apni Shireen ko aik baar bhi call nahi ki" Nano replied. Ahil didn't say anything.

"Khair.... Mere bete kaisay ho?" She continued.

"Mein theek.... Aap kaise hein?.... Tabiyat theek hai apki?" He questioned in such a concerning tone which instantly spread warmth.

"Allhamdulilah mein theek houn Ahil.... Mein ny tum sy aik zaroori baat karni hai"

"Jee Shireen bolein"

"Phone par nahi.... Tum ghar ajao kisi din" Nano said.

"Shireen laikin-" He was interrupted the other second.

"Aisa karo agar aaj tum masroof nahi toh tum aaj he ajao sham mein.... Saba ka koi plan hai apni doston keh saath, woh dair sy he aye gi aur rahi baat Maliha aur Junaid ki woh toh waisay bhi conference par gaye hoye hain, ghar mein mere ilawa koi nahi hoga" She explained.

"Woh toh theek hai magar-" He wanted to say but Shireen didn't let him.

"Ahil agar tumhein meri baat ka maan hai toh bete mana mat karna" Nano tried to convince him.

"Koshish karoun ga" He answered.

"Koshish nahi, ana hai tum ny.... Mein intezar karoun gi" with that she ended the phone call, leaving Ahil to ponder.

------------------------

The door bell ranged. Nano knew who it might be. She opened the door and saw Ahil standing with a bouquet of lilies in his hand. The next second, Nano embraced him. The hug lasted a few seconds.

"10 Years, huh?" Nano said as she smiled at him taking the bouquet from his hands.

"10 years!" he nodded.

After letting him in, Nano moved towards the kitchen saying:

"Towards the left, there's a washroom, wash your hands, till then I'll serve the food"

"Shireen-" Ahil let out a word but in vain.

"Pocha nahi hai mein ny, bataya hai Ahil" Nano said firmly.

Ahil knew that there was no backing out from this, so he made his way towards the restroom.

When he was back, Nano had set the table and placed the lilies (that Ahil brought) in the vase on the counter. The aroma was to die for. It felt like home. Ahil sat grabbed a chair while Nano served him few of the dishes she made.

(Butter Chicken ahh)

"Bismillah karo" She said as took a seat for herself too.

"Thankyou" Ahil responded. He had always been a huge fan of Nano's desi cooking, so he didn't even flinch when he ate.

Nano kept asking about his whereabout as they ate. The conversation was light and comfy, nothing unsual until it was tea time. Nano made two cups of cardomom chai and they headed towards the living room. Taking few sips of the chai she said:

"Maaf kardo ussko Ahil"

Ahil who was too stunned to speak. At first he thought he misunderstood whatever he heard but she repeated herself.

"Maaf kardo ussko bere bachay" She beseeched.

"Mein ny kab ka maaf kar dia hai ussko Shireen" He said firmly but in assurance.

"Laikin woh apny aap ko maaf nahi kar paye.... Apny aap sy nafrat karti hai woh.... Kisi ko kuch kehny sunein ka moka he nahi deti" Nano continued.

Ahil kept his gaze on his cup. He was listening attentively but was out of words.

"Tum uss sy nafrat karte ho?... Sach kehna Ahil" She asked.

"Nafrat nahi karta" He said.

"To abhi bhi muhabat karte ho usse?" she questioned.

"Mujhe nhi pata" He answered after digesting the fact which Nano just spoke.

"Tumhein jawab pata hai laikin shayad mujh sy kehna nahi chah rahay ho" Nano replied.

"Shireen, sach yahi hai jo mein keh raha houn.... Nafrat uss sy in das saaloun mein kabhi nahi kar saka mein ab kia karoun ga.... Rahi baat muhabat ki toh iss bare mein mujhe wakai nahi pata.... Shayad ehsas karta hun usska abhi bhi" He spoke what he thought.

"Muhabat bhi ehsas sy he ati hai Ahil.... Tum donoun mere bachy ho.... Mere dil keh bohat qareeb.... Aise dekhna tum donoun ko behad takleef dy hai.... Ussko mein in das saloun mein na samjha saki.... Shayad tum samjha do ussko" Nano said.

"Mein kiya he samjhaoun ussko.... Karti woh apni he hai hamesha" He shook his head.

"Tum uss sy shadi karo gy?" she said abruptly, catching him off gaurd. It was a shock to him somehow.

"Kia howa?.... Heran kiyoun ho?.... Ghalat baat kar di mein ny koi?" She asked.

"Nahi woh bas.... It's been ten years Shireen.... I really don't think-" He added.

"Janti hun Ahil.... 10 saal mein bohat kuch hogia.... Tum ny bohat suffer kia hai akele mein yeh bhi janti hun.... Shehla ki death keh baad tum ghayab ho gaye.... Na jane kis kis ko keh kar tumhara pata karwana chaha magar tum na mil sake.... Saba toh Pakistan arahi thi tumhein dhondnein laikin usska accident hogia.... Apni takleef sy zaida ussko tumhari fikar thi.... Tumhare paas ana chahti thi.... Neend mein tum sy maafiyan mangti thi.... Laikin tumhara kheyal kabhi na nikal saki" she narrated.

"Agar itni he fikar thi meri toh mujh sy jhoot na bolti woh.... Mujhe aise na chor kar jati jaisy woh uss din gaye thi" Ahil uttered.

"Ussko usski saza mil toh rahi hai.... Pehle jaisa nahi hassa karti....Woh apny aap ko itna bura samjhti hai keh ussko lagta hai tumhare kiya kisi keh bhi qabil nahi" she replied.

"Ussko aik moka aur do bete.... Agar tum log 10 saal baad mile ho shayad iss mein koi maslehat ho.... Mein tumhein force nahi kar rahi houn.... Faisla tumhara he hai.... Mein bas donoun ko khush dekhna chahti hun.... Aur mujhe pata hai tum donoun ki khushi aik dosre mein he hai" She added.

"Agar woh bhi yahi sochti hai toh khud akar mujh sy kahay.... Chor kar woh gaye thi mujhe, mein ny ussko kabhi nahi chora....Wapis bhi ussko ana chahyay" Ahil said.

"Woh aye gi tumhare paas.... Dekh lena.... Itna toh ussko janti hun mein" Nano passed a soft smile.

"Tab ki tab dekhein gy.... Abhi aap ijazat dein.... I have a meeting at 8 so I should probably leave" saying this, he got up.

After exchanging few more sentences, they finally said goodbye, hoping to meet one another soon again. 

(Please bare with me if this seems boring, but build up is necessary too, I don't like abrupt stories tbh, ps. your thoughts are most welcomed)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190K 6.8K 43
"I'm not your personal doctor. And why the hell you want me to bandage your forhead when you have long list of girls to do it for you." I said glarin...
284K 15K 31
Madiha Shah, a young woman from a middle-class family, finds her life unexpectedly entangled with the illustrious Zafar Shah Abraar, a prominent busi...
4.9K 393 33
Maheen and Hasan met when they were kids- young, naïve, and hopeful about the world. Just when their story begins, they're separated by tragedy and p...
7.9K 1K 21
"I used to think that I fell in love with you at first sight, but now I think my soul fell in love with yours the moment we were paired in heaven" Hi...