The Spider-Men: Crisis On Inf...

By ZZS101

A NON CANON sequel to the Spectacular Spider-Men: The Great Web story. DISCLAIMER: Read Spider-Men: The Great... More

VOLUME-1: ARC-1: SHATTERED DIMENSIONS
PROLOGUE: The Lost Years
CHAPTER-1: The Advanced Nurturing High School?
CHAPTER-2: The Secret Life Of Arachnids
CHAPTER-3: Strange Requests
CHAPTER-4: The Service Club
SIDE STORY-1: Web Of Secrets
CHAPTER-5: Quintessential Problems
CHAPTER-6: Ready? Fight!
CHAPTER-7: The Classic Literature Club
SIDE STORY-2: Friendly Neighborhood
CHAPTER-8: First Request
CHAPTER-10: The Quintessential Quintuplets
CHAPTER-11: The Sudden Beginning Of Our Tumultuous Troubles
CHAPTER-12: Club Activities?
SIDE STORY-3: Pizza Time
CHAPTER-13: Actions & Consequences
CHAPTER-14: The Daily Life Of Spiders
CHAPTER-15: A Shocking Surprise
CHAPTER-16: Confession & Persistence
CHAPTER-17: The Meaning Of Friendship
SIDE STORY-4: An Unexpected Turn Of Events
SIDE STORY-5: A Trip Down Memory Lane
CHAPTER-18: Spider's Day Out
CHAPTER-19: Swimming Lessons
CHAPTER-20: The Law Of Equivalent Exchange
CHAPTER-21: The End Of Everyday Life?
SIDE STORY-6: Aoi Hinami: Trauma
CHAPTER-22: The True Face Of ANHS
CHAPTER-23: Great Expectations
CHAPTER-24: Screwballed
CHAPTER-25: Burdened With Glorious Purpose
SIDE STORY-7: Arisu Sakayanagi: Enigma
CHAPTER-26: Round 2, Fight!

CHAPTER-9: Superior Showings

40 7 0
By ZZS101

ARUSH KUMAR'S POV:

Currently, I was sitting with my legs neatly folded under me on a soft cushion. Some would also say I found myself in the "holy abode of teenage boys." Or in other words, Hinami's room.

Looking around, I noticed how tidy everything is. Cleanly made bed, neatly folded clothes on top of it, a stylish black desk, a pink pillow with soft pyjamas on top of it, a bookcase with light novels and Mortal Kombat figurines.

But where is she?

When I entered her room, the only thing she told me was to sit on the pillow I'm currently occupying, and wait. Then she left, and hasn't returned-

*CREAK*

Oh, there she is.

And... she looks different. Is this the same Hinami I had been talking to at the burger joint? Is it her makeup? Maybe she removed it? I don't know, and I don't have any interest in that either, because I want something else from this interaction...

"What do you think?" she asked.

"What... am I supposed to think about?"

"A C plus, maybe?"

This is... not what I expected.

"The hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Have you ever talked to a girl before?"

I mean, Ichinose counts, right?

"Okay!" she exclaimed. "I'll just tell you straight since you won't get it otherwise. I'm not wearing any makeup right now."

"Oh, yeah, I noticed." I said.

"Wait... what? You did? Why didn't you say anything then?"

"Was I supposed to ask about you makeup? And what the hell was that C-plus thing?"

"..."

"..."

I started staring at her again, but she quickly cut me off.

"Forget it, I'm not gonna go through that again. Anyway, you said my character was better than yours, right?"

"Correct."

"Looking at me, do you understand?"

"What are you even saying? What am I supposed to understand?"

"GOD! You're so dumb, it's almost criminal." She sighed. "Of course I'm talking about the makeup. With a little bit of effort, anyone can improve their base stats."

"I'm not gonna start wear-"

"'I'm not gonna start wearing makeup, I'm a guy,' was what you were gonna say, right? Well, you'd be correct with that statement if you literally excluded everything else you could use to improve your looks."

"Everything else? What is there?"

"Okay, something different... Tell me three things that define an 'attractive appearance.'"

Three things, huh?

"Your face is one of them, right?"

"Wrong."

"Your height?"

"Wrong."

Fuck this.

"I give up. Can you please just tell me?"

"My god, I really wish you'd figure it out on your own." She said, looking defeated. "It's a person's facial expression, build, and posture. With just a little bit of effort, you can become someone else completely. Here, look-"

Hinami covered her face with both hands and straightened up, then took her hands away.

The difference was immediately noticeable.

"Wow... that's certainly something."

I'm not gonna lie, this is actually impressive. While it was still the same person I had been talking to the entire time, she looked much more attractive- much more pretty. All that without makeup... I mean, I knew those three things matter to an extent, but to such an extent? Colour me surprised.

"You see it now, right?"

"Yeah."

"Like I said, posture, build and facial expression." She repeated. "Your posture affects the impact of your facial expression, while your expression is able to make others think you're a much more approachable person. And build is the whole package together. you can't just do one and expect good results, you need to do all of them in combination."

"Alright, I get your point, and I agree." I said. "But, I'm still stuck at the most important point- actually communicating with people. I don't really like socializing."

"Look, do you remember when you described me as a high spec character? Every single stat of mine is maxed, right? They're certainly maxed out now. I may even be the most amazing 16 year old in all of New Japan."

Yeah, only because I'm 17 years old.

"I feel blessed to be in your presence, your Highness." I joked.

"Stop."

"Sorry."

She really can't take a joke, huh?

"To be honest, my base stats aren't that high. They're actually below average." She started. "All through elementary and at the start of junior high, I was no one- but, I improved. All through effort alone. I pushed on and on until I reached the state I am in now- the Aoi Hinami standing in front of you."

I understand that sentiment... We've have often felt it before.

In the depths of despair, crying, feeling utterly alone without a lifeline- left to navigate the chaos alone with no helping hand in sight. Relying solely on yourself, pushing forward through the agony because we made a promise, and there was nothing we'd rather do.

I understand that feeling very well, Aoi Hinami. It's a feeling I know much more closely than you could fathom. What do you think I needed to do, needed to experience, needed to sacrifice to reach the state I am in now? Contemplate the journey of the Arush Kumar seated before you- what has he endured?

"That is why I just cannot stand seeing the Knight- the only person better than me at something, completely failing at the game of life. If the person I looked up to is such a deadbeat, am I not a deadbeat as well?! Listen, life is one of the best games of all time- while it may appear to be completely unfair, filled with convoluted rules, it is beautifully designed. Such simple, but effective rules, intertwined to create a magnificent experience."

Sure, life might seem like a game on the surface, but the rules are far from simple, and the design is anything but beautiful. It's more like a survival horror, a relentless marathon of challenges with no save points.

You talk about rules, but what about those moments when the rules are suddenly bent or broken? When you lose someone dear, and no amount of skill or strategy can change that outcome. I've played the 'Game of Life,' and let me tell you, it's a game that doesn't hesitate to throw the most unexpected and brutal curveballs.

Unfair? It goes beyond unfair. It's downright cruel. It sets you up for losses you never saw coming, throws you into battles you're not prepared for. Convoluted rules? How about the rule that says you can do everything right and still lose? Or the one that lets innocents suffer for the mistakes of a few twisted individuals?

Beautifully designed? Maybe from a distance. Maybe when you're not in the thick of it. But when you've been on the front lines, fighting your battles, losing your friends, and sacrificing parts of yourself, that design loses its charm. It becomes a maze of pain and heartache, with no clear path to victory.

This 'Game of Life' isn't a masterpiece; it's a tragedy. It's a relentless cycle of hope and despair. You think you've mastered it, figured out the rules, and then it throws something at you that makes you question everything. The design is flawed, the rules are arbitrary, and the outcome is often beyond your control.

So forgive me if I don't see life as a beautiful game. It's a battlefield, and every day is a struggle. The victories are hard-fought, and the losses are devastating. And if this is a game, then it's one where the stakes are so high that winning often feels like losing something else.

Maybe your perspective works in a world where the biggest challenge is navigating high school politics. But in mine, where I've faced monsters, lost friends, and seen the worst of humanity, it's a different story. Life is a game, but it's far from the best one. It's a test of endurance, a test of how much pain one can endure before they break. And, let me tell you, it's not a game I'd recommend to anyone.

"Okay, then how about-"

"And that is exactly why I will teach you the rules of this beautiful game one by one!"

All according to plan...

...

AGRIM SHARMA'S POV:
April 20th, 2017

As my little hangout with Kamuro came to a close, I decided to confront her about something I'd been thinking for a while.

I eyed Kamuro, sipping my drink. "Soo... I actually wanted to ask you something."

"Ugh, you're not gonna confess your feelings to me, are you?"

"What?" I asked, confused. "Not at all."

"Right, so what is it?"

"You've been following me around, haven't you?" I dropped the bombshell on her.

"Following? No, why would I do that?" she feigned ignorance, looking innocent.

"Right, right..." I sighed, putting my drink down. "That's actually pretty believable, but- I have something that says otherwise." I said with a wide smirk, and slid my phone across the table.

Kamuro glances at the photo, her poker face slipping for a moment.

Ritvik's invisibility powers are quite handy in scenarios like this...

"Coincidence, maybe?"

"Oh, sure... Once or twice, maybe, but- I've caught you multiple times." I said, sliding through the photos.

Masumi sighs, realizing her game is up. She quickly grabs my phone and does something with it.

"There." She slides it back. "Now you have no proof."

"You didn't think I'd back them up?"

She frowned at me, then finally confessed. "Alright, I was assigned to keep an eye on you."

"Assigned? By who?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Sakayanagi."

"Well, well. The Princess of Class A is interested in me, huh?"

"She finds you intriguing. Wanted to know more." Kamuro said, eating one of her fries.

I leaned back, amused by the situation. "And stalking me is the way to do it?"

"It's her way. I just follow orders." Kamuro shrugged.

The atmosphere in the food court grows tense as I contemplated the motives behind Sakayanagi's interest.

"Tell Sakayanagi she could've just asked." I said, smirking.

"She doesn't roll that way." She smirked in response.

"So, what exactly did Arisu want to know?" I leaned forward.

"I can't say much, but it's about your connections." She looked around cautiously.

"Connections? What do you mean?" I asked, raising my eyebrow yet again.

"I've been asked to observe you, Sharma. Sakayanagi thinks you might be involved in something... unusual."

"Unusual? Like what?" I asked, feigning innocence.

"I don't have all the details, but she's concerned about certain activities happening around you."

"Activities? I'm just a regular guy, Kamuro. Nothing special here."

"Be honest with me, Sharma. Are you involved in something unusual?"

"Even if I was, why would I tell you that? I barely know you or Sakayanagi."

"Whether you tell me or not is irrelevant. Sakayanagi will find out regardless."

"Is that so?" I leaned back, twirling a fry in my hand. "Well, best of luck to both of you. You will not find anything interesting in my mundane life."

"She did say you might be in over your head."

"Wow." I deadpanned. "Well, tell Sakayanagi she can rest easy. I don't plan on doing anything beyond my abilities."

"Regular guys don't usually attract that much attention. Sakayanagi doesn't buy it."

"Maybe the fact that I'm an international transfer student brings attention onto me? Or maybe I just have a charming personality."

"Or maybe you're good at hiding things."

"If I were hiding something, do you think I'd tell you?" I said nonchalantly.

"No, but I'm good at reading people. There's more to your story..."

"Reading people, huh? What's your read on me?" I asked, intrigued.

"There's a conflict within you. Like you're torn between two worlds."

What the hell? How in the world could she possibly know that?

"Two worlds? You might be reading too much into things." I said with an awkward laugh.

"Maybe, or maybe I'm onto something."

"Let's say there is a secret. What would you do with that information?"

"Depends on the secret. Some are better left buried." She says, leaning back.

"Wise words. But don't worry, Kamuro, my secrets won't cause any harm."

"You're confident."

"Confidence is a mask we wear, isn't it? Sometimes to protect ourselves, and sometimes to keep others safe."

"Deep." She raised an eyebrow. "Are you always this philosophical?"

"Only on days that end in 'y.'" I chuckled.

"Well, Agrim Sharma, you've managed to keep your secrets well-guarded, for now." She said with a sly smile.

"A man's entitled to a few mysteries, don't you think?" I smiled back.

"Indeed. But remember, secrets have a way of surfacing." She said, standing up.

"We'll see about that." I nodded.

I need to stay careful around this girl... if I'm not, she can very well discover my secret...

Meanwhile...

Location: Home Economics Room

"Why are we in the home economics room? Are we gonna help her make cookies?"

"Correct. It seems like Yuigahama-san wants to make homemade cookies for someone. However, she has no confidence in her ability and would like some help- that's her request."

"Why do we have to do that? Get your friends to help you with something like that."

Hikigaya frowned at her in annoyance causing her to grip the sides of her skirt.

"Um... W-well, it's just that... I don't really want them to know. It'd be weird acting all serious with them."

Yuigahama's eyes darted around the whole room as she answered.

"I don't know about that one. If you are friends with someone, why do you have to feel insecure about what you like. If they make fun of your likings, they should not be your friend." Ritvik said. "Or am I wrong about this? I don't know how things are here, but back in America, that's pretty much how we did things."

Yukinoshita nodded at Ritvik's words, before glancing back at Yuigahama.

"Anand-kun's not wrong, but still... don't worry about it. We'll do our best to help you. Follow me, all three of you."

All four of them were now in the home economics room, with the two girls rocking aprons.

"Your apron's crooked. Do you honestly not know how to wear one?" Yukinoshita asked Yuigahama, sighing as she moved in to help her out.

Ritvik noted that Yukinoshita must be a pretty good chef considering her behaviour, and that Yuigahama wasn't even a novice.

"I can wear an apron, you know?" Yuigahama countered.

"Good, because if you can't, you'd be considered useless, just like Hikigaya-kun over there."

"Shut up, I'm not useless." Hikigaya growled.

"Right... You can be used as a bad example."

"Bitch..."

Ritvik couldn't stand looking at Hikigaya get demolished by Yukinoshita's words, so he decided to cheer him up a bit.

"Don't worry, man. I think you're a decent guy. Well, decent-ish." That seemed to work, as a dumb smile made its way onto Hikigaya's lips as he started chuckling to himself.

"Heh... That's actually the first time someone complimented me."

'Now that's just sad, bro...' Ritvik thought to himself, a scowl appearing on his face.

"Gross... what are they even doing?"

"Ebina would kill to see these two like this..."

These comments caused the two boys to distance themselves from each other. Hikigaya coughed into his hand before mansplaining his way out of the situation.

"Shut it, it's not gross. It's called bromance. It's when two boys who get along with each other form a pact to support each other till one of them dies. Not like you guys would understand- you're driven by jealousy 24/7. Isn't that right, Anand?"

Ritvik nodded his head at Hikigaya's remark. "True, that's how me and my friends became brothers."

"Whatever... It doesn't really matter to me what you bros do with each other. Yuigahama-san, watch carefully now."

"What are we supposed to do here...?" Hikigaya asked, confused.

"Well... you guys can taste the cookies and offer your opinion afterwards."

...

The cookies were completely burnt.

"How in the world can someone really mess up so much and so often?" Yukinoshita facepalmed.

"It... it looks like charcoal- the kind they sell at the hardware store." Hikigaya mumbled, examining the piece of burnt cookie. "I feel like the royal tester..."

"I didn't put poison in it!" Yuigahama exclaimed, snatching the piece away from Hikigaya, before examining it herself. "...It might be poisonous though..."

"We won't die, right?" Ritvik asked, examining the cookie himself. As he took the cookie towards his mouth, his spider-sense started tingling.

'IT'S THAT BAD?!'

"Do we really have to eat those?"

"Just try it, how bad can it be?"

...

Yukinoshita almost fainted after eating the cookies, and Hikigaya didn't even bother eating them. Ritvik's spider-sense went haywire when he put the cookie in his mouth, but somehow managed to survive.

"Ugh... It's bitter and gross." Yukinoshita said, gulping down some water. "It's better if you wash it down and try avoiding chewing as much as possible, Also, be careful not to let it touch your tongue. This is more like a poison."

Yuigahama's shoulders slumped after hearing Yukinoshita's words. Ritvik released a sigh of disappointment.

'I'm working with children.' He thought to himself, glancing around the room.

"I'm gonna be honest, Yuigahama. Your cookies were not good."

Yuigahama looked like she was about to cry, but she looked at Ritvik with the little bit of determination she had left.

"Was this your first time baking cookies?" Ritvik asked her.

"Mm." she nodded her head, causing Ritvik to approach Yukinoshita.

'You might be a good cook, but you're not fit to teach someone like her.'

"Mind lending me your apron for a bit?"

"Huh? Sure... here you go?"

"You see, even though Yukinoshita is good at a lot of things, this is not one of them."

"What do you mean?" Yukinoshita's pale blue eyes twitched in annoyance as she narrowed her eyes at Ritvik.

"I mean that you don't have the patience to teach someone how to bake who's doing it for the first time. You're basically useless here- you're demoralizing her too much. If it was her first time baking cookies, it's obvious that they wouldn't turn out good, so there's no need to rub salt on the wound."

Yukinoshita looked a bit guilty as she realized her mistake.

"Yuigahama-san, that was not my intention. Please-"

"Instead of trying to make up excuses, a simple sorry would be better." Ritvik cut her off.

"R-right." She turned to Yuigahama once again. "I apologize for my actions, Yuigahama-san. It was not my intention to offend you. I take full accountability for my actions, and I hope you'll forgive me." With that, Yukinoshita bowed.

"D-don't worry about it, Yukinon. Not gonna lie, it hurt when you put it like that, but I'm gonna try harder next time."

"Also, Hikigaya- don't think I didn't see you throwing away her cookies without even trying them."

'YOU BASTARD! YOU'RE A COMPLETE ASSHOLE!'

Yuigahama seemed even more hurt that Hikigaya threw her cookies without trying them, than when Yukinoshita berated her.

"Since the great Yukinoshita failed, we're gonna do this my way!" Ritvik said, stretching his arms.

"Do you even know how to bake?"

"I might not be the best, but I was definitely taught from the best!" he said. "And look, I don't know if my way would work, but what's the harm in trying, huh?"

Yuigahama smiled and replied. "I look forward to it, Anand-sir."

"And you ruined it..."

TO BE CONTINUED...

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Chapter-9 is done, and we're finally progressing with the character dynamics. Just a little while longer until everyone has their character dynamics established.

What do you think about the pace?

- ZZS101

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 164 11
Being born 'Quirkless'? He can handle that. Being bullied? Hah, he knows how to handle bullies! Becoming a manga artist and the strongest human alive...
18.2K 359 24
[Isekai Spider-Man x Slice of Life Animeverse Crossover!] Did you know Spider-Man? The web warrior appears through many worlds of the multiverse, som...
292K 8.4K 63
"But that's ruins all the fun now, doesn't it sweetheart?" || Determined. Sarcastic. Genius. All words to describe both of the Starks. Peter Parker h...
46.3K 973 61
(COMPLETE) Born with a unique quirk, Midoriya Izuku strives to become a hero. Γ—Γ—Γ—Γ—Γ—Γ—Γ— That's it. That's the synopsis.... Don't look at me like that! ...