Bloody Angel: Book 3

By PhynixQueen

Annie has survived countless horrors and hardships in her life, and they've only been getting worse. Barely h... More

For Days Waiting
Lunch and the Lake
At the Infirmary
The Fifth Day
Celebrating Life
Confusions
Belated Birthday
The Talk
The Talk pt 2
Awkward Truths
Friends, Some Unexpected, and Ones who are always There
Memories of the Past
Truths and Turmoil
Lovers Confessions
Midnight Swim
Bachelor(ette) Parties
Pre Wedding
The Wedding
Update
Q&A / Requests
Q&A / Requests Update 1
Vacation: Days 1&2

Full Moon Mysteries

64 6 25
By PhynixQueen

I am so sorry this update took forever. Life has been sending curveball after curveball and it's been hectic to say the least!
Hopefully I'll be able to sit down and get more writing done in the upcoming days and get another update out sooner. For now, enjoy!

And don't forget to vote and comment! I miss you guys!  ❤️

____________________________________

Tuesday, the night of the full moon, came quicker than Annie could blink and, as the hours ticked by, the more nervous she felt. What was it that Alessandro would tell her? For so long she wanted answers, but could she even bear to hear them? What would knowing then change, if anything? So many questions swirled through her mind, distracting her through the day enough it made both her brother and her sister - even with her knowing what was happening tonight - worried for her, enough so that Kali didn’t want to leave her thinking she was rapidly spiraling once more.

“Solros, you really haven’t been yourself since they left,” he tells her as he cleans up the kitchen table while she sipped at a glass of wine, her eyes vacant as she stared blankly at the far wall once more lost in her thoughts. “That’s it. I’m staying here tonight.”

That grabs her attention and she blinks and turns her focus to him, lowering her glass to the table. “I’m fine, Kali. Really. Just thinking about a lot of things.”

“Like what?”

“Like… like…”

He sighs and rests his palms on the table, leaning his weight on them as he frowns. “That’s what I’m talking about. You don’t even know. I will call Aether back here in a heartbeat to check on you if I need to. Do I need to?”

“You know they have a Ritual tonight. Don’t go bothering them when they aren’t needed here.”

“Aren’t they?” Kali pulls out a chair next to her and sits, taking one of her hands in both of his. “I thought…”

“Thought what?”

He sighs softly, his thumbs brushing against her knuckles. “I thought after we had such a good day Sunday that you’d start to get out of whatever funk you’re in, but… you’re even more distant than usual. I really am worried, Annie.”

She smiles softly and reaches up to brush her thumb over his stubble covered cheek before leaning over to press their foreheads together. “You’re an amazing big brother. Thank you for all you do, and I’m sorry for worrying you, but I promise I’m okay. If I need help, with anything, I’ll ask.”

“I’m still gonna stay here tonight.”

“Kali..”

He shakes his head and gives her a lopsided smile. “Nope. Not gonna change my mind.”

“And what, sleep in your jeans? That hardly seems comfortable.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.”

“You’re ridiculous.”

“You love me.”

Annie laughs softly and shakes her head. Above them the clock chimes the hour, Annie counting the tolls as they ring out stopping after nine. Only three hours until she’s supposed to meet Terzo and Omega. That brought a new problem. If Kali was insisting on staying the night, how could she sneak out? Glancing around the room she pauses her gaze on her shelves of herbs resting in jars in their neat rows and she sighs inwardly knowing what she could do.

“How about some tea?”

____________________________________

Annie covers Kali with the plush throw blanket before gently brushing some wayward strands of hair from his face with a small smile. It’s been some time since she’s seen her brother so relaxed, but it tugged at her heart knowing it was because of the tea she drugged him with. He would be fine and would wake up feeling the most refreshed he ever had with no knowledge of what had happened, but even knowing that didn't ease the guilt she felt.

“Sleep well, Kako,” she whispers as she kisses his forehead.  "And have the sweetest of dreams."

A gentle snore was his reply and she smiled again before turning to the door. She only manages a couple steps before she feels a nudge in the back of her mind that has her turning and darting to the bookshelves to grab her mothers book of shadows before rushing out the door pausing to lock it behind her.

The halls are dark and quiet, most everyone retired for the evening. She passes two groups of patrolling ghouls, giving them a nod as they eye her wearily but lets her pass before she makes it to the proper door out to the main gardens. The moon is high in the sky already, lighting up the pathway before her as she nears the edge of the darker forest, its thick canopy blocking most of the guiding light. Owls hoot and bats screech mingling with the other nighttime sounds and rustling leaves and it eases her racing mind even as her steps quicken in nervous excitement, until it's broken by a snap of a branch that has her quickly turning, arm raised in front of her. Her eyes scan the dim surroundings, and when she sees nothing she turns and continues along the path. Before long she's breaching the clearing where the Beltaine festival was held only a few short months ago and she sighs at the happy memories the sight brings up. Memories tinged with a deep longing that tugs at her heart.

Another branch snaps and she turns again, arm raised with magic dancing on her fingertips when she hears footsteps coming towards her, but just as she's about to release it a familiar form steps into view making her curse in her mother tongue.

"By all things Goddess blessed! What are you doing out here?"

The small witch giggles and walks forward, her walkingstick sweeping in front of her. "Hello to you, too, Eldfluga."

"Lilit, you shouldn't be out here!" Annie steps over, wincing when Lilit's walkingstick lightly smacks into her leg and the smaller woman mimics the gesture.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to hit ya."

"That doesn't answer my question. Why are you out here? And where's Mountain?"

"He's back in our room." Annie watches Lilit walk past her, a smile on her face without a care in the world.

"And he just…let you come out here? Alone? I doubt that."

Lilit giggles, tilting her head to the side as she makes her way across the clearing leaving Annie to catch up. "I may have drugged him with some tea so I could slip out."

"You did what?!"

"Like it's any different than what you did with our brother."

Annie stumbles over a root Lilit stepped over with ease, her eyes wide. "How did you..?"

Lilit just laughs and continues down a faded path branching off the other side of the clearing leaving Annie to follow, refusing to stop when she asks her to.

"Lilit! Will you stop! You shouldn't be out here!" Annie finally reaches out and grabs at her sister's arm, pulling her to a stop. "Why are you even out here?"

Lilit looks up at her with her glossy emerald eyes, a small smile on her face. "I'm here to go meet Omega and Terzo with you. Did you really think I'd let you do this alone?"

"How..?"

"Matti. And Terzo. They talk to me, Annie. Gio too." Lilit sighs softly, leaning against her walking stick as she chews on her lip. "Even if they didn't talk to me, that feeling I get is telling me I should go with you."

Annie blinks at her, her mouth agape as the words sink in, names she'd heard only a couple times before floating to the forefront of her mind. "Matteo, Alessandro, and Gianni?"

"Well, I still call him Steve," Lilit laughs with a nod, "but yes. I talk to them. Matteo and Steve more than Gio."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"They told me not to." Lilit continues walking forward, navigating easily even with her walking stick to guide her, leaving Annie to catch up yet again. "I'm only telling you now because after tonight, if all goes well, which I think it will, you should be able to see them without the need of a full moon or thin veil."

Annie follows after her, holding the book of shadows to her chest as she mulls over Lilit's words. She already had doubts and worries about tonight swirling in her mind, but what Lilit said made her reel even more. What exactly did Terzo have planned for tonight? And did she make the right call in going alone? Copia and his ghouls were gone. She had none bound to her who could come if she summoned them. Maybe this was a bad idea.

"Stop stressing, Annie. I can hear your heart racing from here."

Annie looks up to see Lilit turned towards her, her free hand outstretched. Annie takes it feeling her sister's magic reach out to her own in a comforting gesture that makes her smile. Lilit pulls Annie forward and before long they reach a wall of large boulders blocking the path. Annie steps forward, resting her hand against the hard stone, looking for the opening Omega described but sees nothing.

"I don't get it. There should be a way through to a second clearing but, I'm not seeing one."

"It's there."

"No," Annie sighs, walking along the rocks still seeing nothing that would indicate a way through. "There isn't. Not unless we climb them but there are no handholds or footholds. Maybe we went the wrong way?"

"This is the correct place, Annie." Lilit leans against her walkingstick, a small smile on her face. "You're just not looking properly."

"What are you going on about?"

Lilit sighs, watching Annie still looking at the boulders for a way through, her eyes glowing softly as she uses her powers to do so. "You aren't looking properly."

"As if you could look at all!" As soon as the words leave her mouth Annie cringes and closes her eyes, guilt and regret washing through her. "Forgive me. That was uncalled for. But, if there is a way through that you know of, please tell me instead of watching me fumble about like a fool."

Annie's met with silence as she walks back along the rocks, eyes still searching their surface for a way through. Silence that stretches too long.

"Lilit?" She turns, seeing empty forest behind her and instantly panics. "Lilit! Where are you?!"

Silence meets her as she spins in a circle, looking for her sister. She's on the edge of a quickly building panic attack, ready to cast a seeking spell when a hand grasps her shoulder making her scream and spin around, the sound echoing through the dark.

"It's just me!" Lilit says with a laugh. "If you're done fooling around, let's go."

"Where did you disappear to? I got so worried when you weren't here!" Annie pulls Lilit close, enveloping her in a tight hug. "Don't do that again."

"Okay, but, I found the path."

Annie pulls back, looking down at the wide smile Lilit gives her. "Told you you just weren't looking properly."

"But…there's nothing there!"

"Are you so sure of that?" Lilit's smile remains as she backs up towards the rocks before sidestepping… and disappearing from sight making Annie's eyes widen before her voice calls again. "You coming or what?"

Annie looks at the rocks, at where Lilit disappeared to but it looks like solid rock, not even a crack or crevice she could find. Annie shakes her head and takes a breath and steps forward, hand outstretched expecting to meet the cool rock with her palm but instead there's nothing. Looking around she can see the rocks, but with how they were positioned the opening between them was hidden from view and to her right, a path right through them.

"Lilit? Wait for me!" Annie turns and follows the dark path, igniting a spark of flame in her palm to light her way as she follows after Lilit's echoing giggles until she emerges into a large open clearing, the sight in front of her making her gasp.

Sprawled out before her was a large clearing bathed in the pale moonlight, the grass soft and shimmering in a deep emerald broken up by patches of whites and pinks and yellows from various wildflowers. The outer edge was lined by tall thick oak trees, backed by a ring of large boulders much like the ones she and Lilit just walked through. In the center there's a small glistening pond fed from a tiny stream that disappears to the East winding alongside a path that angles down between two more boulders.

"That must be where Omega meant for me to go," Annie says, more to herself than anything. Looking around again she sees Lilit halfway through the clearing, following the path her eyes just traced. Sighing softly she makes her own way down the path, boosting her steps with the slightest gusts of air to quicken her stride until she's beside her sister once more.

"How did you know about that opening?"

Lilit smiles up at her sister and gives a wink. "I was looking for it."

"You never cease to amaze me, little bug."

The blonde bumps into her sister's arm with another laugh as she carries on down the path. "Maybe I amaze you because you keep doubting me. And if not doubt, then it's because you still see me as the child I was all those years ago."

"You're still basically a child," Annie says softly. "And no matter what, you will always be my little sister."

"I will always be your little sister," Lilit says with a soft sigh, linking her free arm with Annie's. "But, I haven't been a child in a long time. Certainly not now. Not with lítill spíra growing inside me."

Annie nods and leans into Lilit as they near the prominent gap between the rocks and follow the path as it slopes downward, the sound of the stream growing louder as it turns into a slowly widening waterfall, the path turning into smooth stone steps. Annie helps Lilit down them, focused more on her than what lays in front of them. It's not until it evens out again that Annie finally looks around, eyes widening with a gasp that echoes around the area. Omega had said follow the path to the pool, but she hadn't expected this.

The waterfall ended with a gentle misty crash before it flowed outward in a gentle flowing brook that circled a vast grassy center, the blades a deeper rich emerald than that of the previous clearing. The whole area was surrounded by smooth stones, glittering with milky white gems of every size, and shape from the moonlight that streamed from the large opening in the cavern's ceiling casting a slew of rainbows against the walls. Annie blinks, trying to take it all in. What was this place?

Lilit nudges her side, bringing her back from her daze before pulling her along to the stream. It was shallow, so they waded across its width, shocked when the water was warm and not cool like they had expected it to be.

"I..I wish you could see this place, Lilit," Annie whispers, casting her eyes around once more. "It's so beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. I don't think I could even imagine anything like this."

"I can see it."

Annie blinks, her wide eyes darting over to Lilit, seeing her wide smile as she turns her eyes to her, noticing the lilac tint to them. "How? I'm not sharing my sight with you."

"That's because I am, at Papa's request." Annie jumps hearing a deep voice, his words ending with a low chuckle and she turns to see a familiar masked ghoul standing with his hands clasped behind his back. "Welcome, Annie. And Lilit. What are you doing here?"

"Came to support my sister. What else, Meg?"

The ghoul laughs again, dropping his head with a small shake before letting out a soft sigh. "Even with all our talks and telling you this was for her to do alone?"

"Even then." Lilit's voice is harder, but still pleasant. "My sister needs me now more than ever. I won't abandon her."

"Nor would we ask you to, little one."  The ghoul sighs softly before adjusting the sash around his waist. "But, it may not be safe for you. Not in the condition you're in."

"I can manage just fine."

Annie feels a wave of nausea wash over her before smiling as a familiar figure steps out from behind the tall, broad ghoul's form, stepping into the bright moonlight that shows his sparkling mismatched eyes and warm smile.

"I do not doubt that, Lilit. But, please. You should not have come. My brothers and I, we all told you this."

Lilit smies and rests against her walkingstick, casting her eyes towards the man with a sigh. "You should know how stubborn I am by now, Steve."

Alessandro laughs, his smile wide and flashing his teeth as he shakes his head. "You still choose to call me that, why?"

"It's fun. And it's your own fault. It is who you introduced yourself as, if you recall."

"Si, si. I remember all too well our first meeting. But please, piccola strega, call me by my name. My proper name!" He laughs as Lilit smirks at him, shaking his head. "Or Papa would suffice. No more of this 'Steve' nonsense."

Annie looks between them in shocked awe at how easily they banter, like they've been friends for years and it eased her. She trusted Alessandro, he's been nothing but kind and helpful, or at least tried to be even when she wasn't willing to listen to him, and based on the stories Copia would tell, he trusted no one more. Aside from Aether, that is. So, as nervous as she was for whatever may happen this night, she held the hope that all would be well.

"If things do not go well, if he believes you to be in danger," Alessandro's now stern sounding voice cuts through her thoughts, drawing her focus back to him, "Omega will phaze you away. I will hear no argument about it."

"Fair enough."

Lilit looks up towards the opening in the roof of the cavern, leaning her head to the side. "The moon is almost in position. Best be getting on with it, Papa."

"Si, si. We would have been started by now if you hadn't distracted us," he teases Lilit with a smile before finally turning his attention to Annie. "Welcome, Sorellina. I trust you have been well?"

Annie nods, chewing on her lip as she tightens her hold on the book. "Well enough, Alessandro. Though, if I'm honest, I'm…apprehensive about all this."

"Are you ready to learn some truths and answers, Annie?"

"I don't know." And she didn't. She wanted answers, she knew that, but the thought of finally knowing scared her, made her doubt. 'No', she thinks as she takes a deep calming breath. 'I've been kept in the dark for too long. I need to know.'

Alessandro smiles knowingly at her before holding out his hand, watching as she hesitantly steps forward and rests hers in his. His skin is colder than ice, but unlike last time, it's solid under her palm and she smiles when his fingers curl up around hers. "Let us begin with your questions. I will answer all I am able to."

~~~~~~~~~

"So," Lilit says softly as she steps over towards the ghoul. "How have you been?"

Omega blinks and turns his gaze away from his Papa and the older witch as the ghostly man leads her towards the center of the grassy clearing where a large, mirror smooth pool sits reflecting the bright moonlight to focus on the little witch now at his side. Behind his mask he smiles, one brow quirking up in amusement.

"You know how I've been. We just spoke with you not that long ago."

"Humor me. Please. Not like we have anything better to do while we wait."

The ghoul sighs softly, glancing back at his Papa once more. "Worried. I've been worried. She's not ready yet."

Lilit sighs softly, following his gaze towards her sister seeing her long auburn hair shine like fire in the bright moonlight as she walks further away, courtesy of Omega using his magic to share his sight with her. "She needs to know, Omega. Ma should have told her before she died."

"You speak as though you know of what they are discussing. Are you hiding secrets, little one?"

Lilit shakes her head, her smile small and warm. "I don't know what they are discussing exactly. But what I do know is that whatever Ma did, even done with the best intentions at heart, shouldn't have been done." Lilit sighs softly, reaching up to brush some stray strands of her blonde hair from her forehead before rubbing at her temple. "Even before I gained my… extra abilities, ever since she blossomed into a woman, something has been off with her and getting worse as the years went on and that isolated bubble we lived in did absolutely nothing to help with it.

"I never told her," she continues softly, drawing Omega's attention back to her. "Never brought up her weird moods or actions. Or the times she spoke the ancient language of her father without realizing it. Let's not forget about her ability to understand animals. She can tame even the wildest of them. Did you know she has a pet bear at home?"

"A bear? Like a massive hunk of fur, sharp teeth and claws that likes to eat honey and berries?"

Lilit nods with a laugh. "Torbin. She found him when he was a tiny cub next to a rockslide that had killed his mother. Massive beast now, and deadly to anyone but her and enjoys more than just honey and berries."

"Not a witchy thing then? He's not her familiar?"

Lilit smiles and shakes her head. "Not a witchy thing, and certainly not a familiar. She doesn't have one. It's not just him, though. She wrangled a massive spider in the kitchen that even Sage couldn't catch. Coaxed it out from its hiding spot and calmed it down. In the gardens she's befriended the rats and snakes and other creatures there, often having them help her gather herbs, though she usually only does that when she's alone."

"And that is not common for a witch?"

"No. Not the way she does it. And it's not just earthly animals. Surely you've noticed a change when you're around her as well? I know the others do."

Omega hums his response, crossing his arms tighter against his chest as he turns back to the other two knowing she was right, but he didn't know why he felt that way. Unfortunately, even from him, Alessandro kept the details of what she was, what they would discuss to himself, telling the ghoul to keep his distance but keep his eyes open, and now with the younger witch who came against their warnings he was tasked with staying at her side and phaze her away if something went wrong. Omega hoped it wouldn't come to that. Ghost or not, Annie already proved she was more than capable of hurting him and that left the ghoul feeling nervous, his heart tugging at him to be next to his Papa, to try and protect him even as he is. Eventually, Lilit's soft words bring his attention back to her.

"It will be okay, Meg. I wouldn't have come if I didn't think so."

"How do you know, though?"

"Just a feeling." Lilit smiles, winking at him when he turns his gaze to her again, drawing another smile. "Part of my abilities. This feeling is strong enough for me to trust it without question."

"You should tell her."

"No."

"Lilit…"

She shakes her head, holding up her hand to silence him. "No. It was my foolish mistake that caused this. It can't be reversed, nor would I want it to be, and if I told her she would only blame herself and hurt herself trying to undo the damage I caused."

"You missed your mother. She would understand."

"And she would blame herself. You don't know what it was like for us out there. How much she had to shoulder at such a young age." Lilit sighs softly, rubbing her forehead again. "She's shouldered so much, and has so much yet to shoulder. Fate is twisting, it's path winding and changing. Unless she and Copia find their footing, everything may be lost, and not just for them. I can't tell her that, though, because then she will panic and stress and worry and try to figure it out on her own. She's already starting to lock everyone out. Even me."

Omega nods in understanding, stepping closer to rest his hand on her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "All will be well. Annie and Copia will figure things out. They love each other too much not to."

Lilit nods and reaching up to rest her hand atop his as she leans into his side, her eyes turning back across the clearing towards her sister and Papa with a small frown, worry heavy on her heart when she sees Annie turn suddenly, her eyes wide as she stares at the ghostly man with her mouth agape, but it fades when she takes a deep breath feeling, with clear certainty, that everything will work out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're really his brother? You and the others?"

"Si," Terzo says with a small smile. "Though none of us knew this until after our death. He does not know, even now. We always had a close bond, but nothing could have prepared me for that revelation. I only wish we had been told sooner."

"So, you all share a father? Nihil is your, is his father? Does he know?"

"That…that is where it gets complicated."

"What do you mean?"

Alessandro runs his fingers through his longer hair, pulling it away from his face as he sighs. "I…I can't tell you the specifics of that scenario, but, yes, biologically Nihil is his father. And no, he does not know. He was told the same as us. That Copia was found on the doorstep as an infant and raised within the church."

"And his mother?"

He laughs softly, the corner of his lips quirked up in a half smile. "Surely you can figure that one out. I will tell you she resides within the same walls as you."

Annie frowns and thinks of who it could be. There were several older women she had seen who resided within the Ministry who could possibly be his mother, but none even remotely resembled him. But, even then, why leave him on the doorstep? Why fabricate the lie that he was abandoned as an infant? Surely even if a Sister had a child but did not want it they would ask the church to take it in. Unless… whoever spun that lie had connections needed to maintain it and was still…

Annie's eyes widen in realization as she turns towards Terzo, her mouth falling open in her shock. "No! Not her…"

He simply nods, turning from her to look at the mirror smooth pool in front of him. "Si. She's the only one who could have the power to fabricate such documents and hide the truth for as long as it has been hidden. A perfect rouse. Claim he was abandoned yet still be a mother figure in his life without being tied to him publicly."

"Why would anyone do that?"

"My father wronged her for many years, cheated on her, left her for other one night stands and trysts in the sheets. He could never control himself, and it cost him the greatest thing in his life. It's why he tries to win her affections now in his old age."

"That's why Copia can get away with as much as he does with her."

Alessandro simply nods again with another sigh. "It came in handy when we would get caught in our pranks."

"Is that also why she doesn't like me?"

"It could play a part in it. Mothers tend to be jealous when their children find someone in their life they wish to build a new one with. "

Annie nods and looks towards the pool with a soft sigh. "Mothers… Mothers tend to do a lot of things they think are best for their children that aren't really for the best."

Alessandro frowns and lets out another soft sigh of his own, waiting for her to gather the thoughts he could see flash across her face. For her to ask her first question. He doesn't have to wait long.

"What about me scared my mother so much she locked it away?"

"It was the blood of your father that scared her so. Of what he is. Of what you, as his child, are."

Annie shakes her head with a sigh, shifting and reaching up to rub her forehead. "What is my father, then? What am I?"

Alessandro clasps his hands together behind his back as he angles his face up towards the opening in the cavern roof. "A bright star that fell to earth to live amongst us mortals. He is a powerful being, Levanna, and you inherited that power. Such power is sought by the men of this earth focused on their twisted agendas. Even a sliver of what you hold inside you would be temptation enough for them to go after you and attempt to claim it as their own. As a babe you had no control over it, and the fear that what you possess would be found out and taken to be used is what drove your mother to do what she did."

"But what powers could I possibly have? If it was so bad, why would he leave her? Leave me?"

"For the same reason she locked that part of you away." Alessandro turns his gaze back to her, eyes soft as he lets out a gentle sigh. "To protect you."

Annie shakes her head again as she chews on her lower lip, arms tightening around the book she held to her chest. His eyes flick down to it and he gives the smallest of smiles. "More answers are held within those pages. You just haven't learned how to ask for them to reveal themselves."

"I've tried. Over and over again, but it never shows me what I seek."

"Then…perhaps I was wrong and it is not time for you to know more."

Annie's eyes darted up towards him, hinted with panic as she stepped closer, reaching out to grab at his arm. "No! No, Alessandro. I need to know. I can't stand not knowing, not understanding what I am or why these things have been happening to me."

"You are the daughter of a fallen, Annie, with a great power locked inside. The seal has weakened and you need to come together as one with your fated mate. Only then will you have the balance and control so that your powers don't rent you asunder. Only with that connection will you both be saved for it is not just you who needs help regulating newfound powers. Powers woken too soon."

"What are you talking about?" Annie blinks up at him, eyes scanning his face looking for something, anything to get a read on but it's like he's put on a mask. Mismatched eyes are calm, brows relaxed. "Why does whatever connection Copia and I have matter so much?"

"Mio fratellino… like you he is not entirely hu-" Alessandro's words cut off as he huffs out a sigh, reaching up to pinch the bridge of his nose as he closes his eyes, free arm wrapping around his torso. "Then you come try and explain it, stronzo! I am doing my best here to stay within what we are allowed to tell and still answer her questions."

He's silent for a moment before raking the same hand he used to pinch his nose down his face with a groan. "I do not care! You think you can do better, then come forward and try. If not then shut up and let me handle this!"

Annie watches in confusion as he switches to fast paced Italian, turning from her and waving his arms around as he talks to nothing, but Annie knew better. Based on what she did hear, on his actions, he was talking to one of his brothers but she couldn't know which as they didn't reveal themselves to her. Whatever the discussion with whoever it was, she left him to it, opting to switch her focus onto the shining pool in front of her. The mirror-like surface clearly reflects the moon high above, seeming to enhance its brightness. The image is interrupted as she steps close enough to gaze at her reflection with unfocused eyes. She looks down at herself, her fiery auburn hair framing her pale face. Skin smooth and unblemished, cheeks hinted with a soft rosy tint under mossy green eyes.

Annie blinks. Green eyes? But…hers were blue.

"Ma..?"

As she watches, the reflection moves a hand lifting it to its lips, fingers curled with the pointer extended as it's lips purse behind it in a 'shh' gesture before it turns the book in its hands to show the cover before trailing that same finger over the cover going from symbol to symbol in an intricate pattern and once finished the book opens. Closing it, the reflection does it again, tracing its finger from symbol to symbol in a pattern before the book opens and it gestures to Annie as if telling her to do the same. Looking down at the book, she can't help but feel apprehensive. Who knows if it would work, if it were truly her mother telling her how to do something to it, or if she was just imagining things. Then again, what did she have to lose?

Taking a deep breath she places a shaky finger on the first symbol and begins to trace the pattern she was shown, each symbol gaining a faint glow as she passes over it, the warm leather vibrating slightly with growing intensity. Path completed, the cover flies open and pages turn quickly before becoming still and before her eyes the blank pages swirl and fill with a mix of blurry runic and English writing. They brighten with an eerie glow as the book trembles and shakes but Annie holds tight to it.

Then it stills, allowing her to gaze at the wording below for only a moment before everything fades in a blinding flash of white.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 395 8
(chapter release is slow) . You've been a part of the band before Omega left to which you reacted to horribly. He was like a brother to you and whene...
3.2K 215 41
Continuation of Bloody Angel, the second installment of the series. We pick up right after the events of book one.
130K 3.8K 100
Ember is a new ghoul to join Ghost. Papa had simply thought that maybe letting one more guitarist into the band would be a good idea. It took stress...
76 10 5
ՏᗴᗩՏOᑎ 1 : ㄥㄖ丂ㄒ & 千ㄖㄩ几ᗪ. [ |シ︎| ] ☁︎ Story description: Shaera is panicking. August looks calm but worried. Frisk looks annoyed as heck. Chris looks...