The Lord of the Rings: An unl...

By Luka3321

After Isildur cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand, Sauron's soul split. While one half followed the canon pat... More

-Bio-
-Prologue-
-Chapter 1 Hobbit-
-Chapter 2 Hobbit-
-Chapter 3 Hobbit-
-Chapter 5 Hobbit-
-Chapter 6 Hobbit-
-Chapter 7 Hobbit-
-Chapter 8 Hobbit-
-Chapter 9 Hobbit-
-Chapter 10 Hobbit-
-Chapter 11 Hobbit-
-Chapter 12 Hobbit-
-Chapter 13 Hobbit-
-Chapter 14 Lotr-
-Chapter 15 Lotr-
-Bio 2-
-Chapter 16 Lotr-
-Chapter 17 Lotr-
-Chapter 18 Lotr-
-Chapter 19 Lotr-

-Chapter 4 Hobbit-

174 5 0
By Luka3321

               -POV narrator-

Everybody stood up as it knocked at the door, and they all walked to the greeting room. Even Maira, crept after them. Now Bilbo opens the door.

-POV Maira-

As Bilbo opens the door, I see a black-haired dwarf standing at the door. He steps inside, and the first thing he says is, "I thought you said this place is easy to find. I got lost three times. If it wasn't for the marking on the door, I wouldn't have found it at all." I just deadpan and think, 'How did he get lost? This is the last house on the hill, and it has a shining rune on its door.'

Bilbo says, "Wait, there is no marking on the door. It just got painted last week." To that, Gandalf says, "Yes, there is a rune. I put it there."

Bilbo is shocked, and Gandalf starts to introduce them to each other. "Bilbo Baggins, this is Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of our company." 'So this is their leader, and Oakenshield, how did he get that name?' I thought. Thorin says to Bilbo, "So, that is him. Tell me, what is your weapon of choice, an axe or a sword?" 'What's that for a question to a peaceful hobbit?' I think. But Bilbo answers, "Well, I do have some skill at conkers,if you must know. But I fail to see how that's relevant" he said. 'Just as expected,' I thought. Thorin also says, "thought as much," and goes on to the table.

Later, everybody is sitting at the table and drinking beer. Dwalin asks, "And, what about the meeting, did everyone come?" Thorin says, "Yes, delegates from all seven kingdoms." I just raise an eyebrow while the other dwarves cheer. Dwalin asks, "And? What did Dain say, are they going to join?" To that, Thorin shakes his head, "No, they said that it's our quest and ours alone."

While the dwarves are dejected, Bilbo asks, "You're going on a quest?" At that, Gandalf asks Bilbo, "Bilbo, my dear fellow. Could we have a little more light, please?" Bilbo nodded and goes to get a lantern. As Bilbo comes back with the lantern, Gandalf pulls out a piece of parchment while saying, "Far to the east, over ranges and rivers beyond woodlands and wastelands... Lies a single, solitary peak." Bilbo reads, "the Lonely Mountain." I think, 'Erebor, what do they want there? Isn't that just another dwarven kingdom, even if it is richer than the others?' And at that, Glóin says, "Aye, Óin has read the portents, and the portents say it is time. Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain, as it was foretold. The reign of the beast will end."

Bilbo/Maira: "Uh... What Beast?"/'Beast?'

To that, Bofur says, "Oh, that would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible. Chiefest and Greatest Calamity of our age, airborne fire-breather. Teeth like razors, claws like meat hawks." Bilbo interrupts him with, "Yes, I know what a dragon is."

I am not very happy with that revelation: 'They found something that attracted a dragon, and that dragon then took the Lonely Mountain!' I really don't like dragons because they should not exist in this world, but then Melkor came and created them to cause chaos and destruction.

Just then Ori shoots up from his seat and says, "I'm not afraid. I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of dwarvish iron right up his jacksie!" This sent some of the dwarves into cheering. "Good lad, Ori!" Nori compliments the other dwarf. "Sit down," Dori tells Ori as he grabs onto his arm and pulls him back into his seat. Balin then speaks up, getting everybody's attention, "But we are only 13, and not 13 of the strongest, nor 13 of the smartest." I grin at that while some of the dwarves look offended at the statement. Then Fíli says, "Yes, that may be true, but we are fighters, all of us to the last dwarf!" To that, Kíli follows with, "Plus we have a wizard on our side. He certainly has killed hundreds of dragons." I just deadpan at that and think, 'Isn't that a little overestimated?' That thought is confirmed when Gandalf says, "Well, I-I-I wouldn't say tha-" and then he is cut off by Dori. "How many, then?" Gandalf just asks, "What?" "How many dragons have you killed?" Before Gandalf could say anything, he was cut off by Dori demanding, "Go on, Give us a number!" Then the dwarves start shouting, and I just think, 'If they go on like that, they will never get their home back.'

But then Thorin stands up and shouts, "Itkitî! (Silence!)" All the dwarves shut up. He says, "Do you think that we are the only ones who have read the signs? Rumors have spread. The dragon Smaug hasn't been seen for 60 years. Other powers begin to look in the direction of the mountain, assessing, wondering, weighing the risk. Perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit here while others claim what is rightfully ours, or do we go and get back Erebor?! Du Bekâr! Du Bekâr! (To arms! To arms!)" The other dwarves start to cheer.

I am impressed with his determination, but Balin just sighs and says, "You forget: the front gate is sealed. We can't get inside." While the other dwarves are once again dejected, Gandalf smiles and says, "That, my dear Balin, isn't completely true," and he pulls out a key from nowhere. While the dwarves regain their hope, I just think, 'Where did he pull that key from?' Thorin asks Gandalf, "Where did you get that?" To that, Gandalf answers, "It was given to me by your father Thrain for safekeeping, and it is now yours," and with that, he hands Thorin the key. "If there is a key..." Fíli said, trailing off, "then there is also a door," at that Gandalf nods and says while pointing at some runes on the map that I couldn't really see, "These runes speak of a hidden passage to the lower halls." Kíli smiles while putting his hand on his brother's shoulder and says, "Then there is a way in."
To that, Gandalf just sighs while saying, "Well, if we can find it, but dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Then he points at the map and says, "The answer is somewhere hidden in the map, but I don't have the skills to find them." I just grin and think, 'Skill issues.' Gandalf continues, "but there are others in Middle-earth who can," he says while looking at Thorin. I think, 'I know who he is referring to, and by the looks of it, Thorin knows too. The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth and no small amount of courage," Gandalf says while looking at Bilbo. He then continues, "but if we are careful and clever, I believe it can be done."

To that, Ori says, "That's why we need a burglar." While he says that, I think, 'I think I know where this is going.'

"Hmm. And a good one at that, an expert I'd imagine," answers Bilbo to what Ori said. Ori asks, "And are you?" while the other dwarves look expectantly at Bilbo. I think, 'Called it,' while Bilbo asks, "Am I what?"

"He said he is an expert," Ori said with his weird trumpet pressed against his ear. "Hey."

Bilbo, just realizing what he was meant with the question, answers, "Me? No, no, no, no, I'm no burglar. I've never stolen something in my life." I just sweatdrop while thinking, 'Poor him.'

Balin then says, "I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Baggins. He's hardly burglar material." Bilbo affirms, "Nope." Balin continues, "Aye, the wild is no place for gentle folk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves." 'Hard but somewhat true,' I think while Bilbo just points at Dwalin in agreement. Then the dwarves start to talk and argue. I just think, 'Can't they stop arguing or something?' I look over to Gandalf and see that he is short from exploding. I can just think, 'Oh well, sorry for the dwarves,' before Gandalf then stands up and it gets dark while Gandalf shouts, "Enough! If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar, then a burglar he is." 'I don't think that's how it works, but okay,' I think while everyone shuts up with varying looks on their faces. Gandalf continues, "Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they do choose, and while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of dwarfs, the scent of hobbits is completely new to him, which gives us a distinct advantage." Bilbo wants to protest, but his words get stuck in his throat. Gandalf continues, sitting down, "You asked me to find the 14th member of the companionship, and I have chosen Mr. Baggins." He looks at Bilbo. "There is a lot more to him than appearances suggest."

Thorin looks down in thought.

"And he's got a great deal more to offer than any of you know," Gandalf says while looking at the dwarves, then looking at Bilbo. "Including himself."

Bilbo looks confused, and I would be too. Then Gandalf leans over to Thorin, saying, "Trust me with this." Thorin sighs and says, "Very well. We will do it your way." Bilbo tries to refuse, but to no avail. Thorin looks over to Balin and says, "Give him the contract." Balin takes out a rolled-up piece of paper and hands it to Thorin, saying, "Just the usual summary of out-of-pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements, so forth." I sweatdrop and think, 'Yes, just the usual.' "Funeral arrangements," Bilbo asks, looking at Thorin and Balin. Bilbo walks away from the dining room, unfurling the long contract. "Oh," he says, dejected while Bilbo is reading the contract. I hear Thorin whispering to Gandalf, "I cannot guarantee his safety."

"Understood," answers Gandalf. Thorin continues, "nor will I be responsible for his fate." Gandalf looks like he wants to refute Thorin but stops himself and puts on a rather forced smile and says, "agreed."

While I am feeling a little pity for Bilbo, he's still reading the contract. "Terms: cash on delivery, up to but not exceeding 1/14th of the profit, if any. Seems fair," Gandalf looks at the dwarves with a smile on his face. Bilbo continues to read, "Present company shall not be liable for injuries inflicted by or sustained as a consequence thereof, including, but not limited to lacerations." Bilbo reads the last part slowly. "Evisceration..." Bilbo carefully reads, "incineration?" Bilbo asks slowly as he looks at the dining table. While this was happening, I just thought, 'Poor Bilbo, they just pop up on his front step and ask him to join a potentially dangerous adventure.' Bofur answers Bilbo's questioning looks with, "Oh aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye." Bilbo looks up at the ceiling a bit before looking down at the floor, quietly whimpering.

"You alright, laddie?" Asks Balin calmly.

"Yeah," Bilbo answers with his hands on his knees before standing up again.
"Just feeling a bit faint," Bilbo says. I think, 'That's not good.' Bofur continues, standing up and moving closer to Bilbo. "Think furnace with wings," Bilbo just sweats and stutters out, "Air, I-I-I need air." Bofur just continues, not realizing that he is making it worse. "Flash of light, searing pain, and poof! You're nothing more than a pile of ash on the ground." It takes everything in me to not shout out that he isn't making it better. Bilbo breathes in again and looks over at everyone else before stating, "Nope," and then fainting.

Gandalf/Maira: "Oh, very helpful, Bofur" / 'Wow, that was very helpful,' I think while facepalming.

-Time skip brought to you by Maira beating up Bofur for his stupidity.-

Bilbo now sits in a big plush chair before the fireplace, a mug in his hand.

"I'll be alright. Just let me sit quietly for a moment," Bilbo said, taking a sip from his mug.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long," Gandalf says while standing beside Bilbo, smoking his pipe. He walks in front of Bilbo, saying, "Tell me when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remember a young hobbit who was always running off in search of elves in the woods." Bilbo just looks down a bit. Gandalf continues, "who would stay out late, come home after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies." He walks back beside Bilbo. "A young hobbit who would have liked nothing better than to find out what lay beyond the borders of the Shire." He says, pointing his pipe towards the window. Gandalf continues, "the world is not in your books and maps." Bilbo looks up at him. "It's out there." Bilbo now answers, "I can't just go running off into the blue. I am a Baggins," he began. "Of Bag-End." "You're also a Took," Gandalf reminds him. Bilbo just looks annoyed. Gandalf continues, "did you know that your great-great-great-great uncle Bullroarer Took was so large, he could ride a real horse." I raise a surprised eyebrow at that. 'That's one big hobbit.' Bilbo just answers, "Yes."

"Well, he could!" Gandalf said. "In the Battle of Greenfields, he charged the goblin ranks. He swung his club so hard it knocked the goblin king's head clean off..." A tick mark formed on my forehead. 'I am defeated, and the orcs get beaten by some hobbit, even if it is a big hobbit.' Gandalf continues. "And it sailed 100 yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole," he says, gesturing with his pipe. "And thus the battle was won." He says. "And the game of golf was invented at the same time," he adds. My tick mark forms into a sweatdrop. 'They invented a game in a battle?' Bilbo begins. "I do believe you made that up." At that, I think, 'No, I would believe that.' Gandalf answers Bilbo with, "Well, all good stories deserve to be embellished." He sits in a chair in front of Bilbo. "You'll have a tale or two to tell when you come back." Bilbo chuckles lightly before asking, "Can you promise that I will come back?" Gandalf opens his mouth as if trying to comfort Bilbo but he chose otherwise. "No. And if you do... You will not be the same." Bilbo looks to the side before looking back at Gandalf. "That's what I thought," he says with a click of the tongue. "Sorry, Gandalf, I can't sign this," he says before getting up from his chair and going somewhere. I look at Gandalf and think, 'You look too confident. You are sure that you have started to convince him.' Thorin and Balin see him walking away. Balin solemnly says, "Looks like we have lost our burglar. Probably for the best. The odds were always against us." Thorin looks at Balin. He continues, "After all, what are we? Merchants, miners... tinkers, toy makers." He chuckles as he watches over the other dwarves. "Hardly the stuff of legends." "There are a few warriors among us," Thorin says. Balin retorts, "Old warriors." At that, Thorin says, "I would take each and every one of you over an army from the Iron Hills. For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty, honor, a willing heart." Balin looks to the side as Thorin continues. "I can ask for no more." Balin gets up and says, "You don't have to do this. You have a choice. You've done honorably by our people. You've built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains, a life of peace and plenty, a life that is worth more than any amount of gold in Erebor." After Balin finished, Thorin speaks up. "From my grandfather to my father, this has come to me." He shows the key. "They dreamt of the day the dwarves of Erebor would reclaim their homeland. There is no choice for me." Balin lets out a sigh and puts a hand on Thorin's shoulder and says, "Then we are with you, laddie." Thorin smiles at Balin. Balin continues, "We will see it done." At that scene, I can only think, 'Aww, it's so heartwarming.' Later, the dwarfs stand at the fireplace. I have decided to sit with them, but I am in a dark corner so that they don't see me. The dwarves start to hum, and they then start to solemnly sing.

———————————————————————————

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it flaming spread
The trees like torches blazed with light

The wind was on the withered heath
But in the forest stirred no leaf
There shadows lay be night or day
And dark things silent crept beneath

The wind went on from West to East
All movement in the forest ceased
But shrill and harsh across the marsh
Its whistling voices were released

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall
We must away ere break of day
Far over the wood and mountain tall

———————————————————————————

(I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I may have gone a bit overboard with the length compared to the previous ones. If you have any suggestions for improvement, please share them. Thank you.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.1K 4.2K 20
Till yesterday she was marring her brother's friend but suddenly ended up marring his college owner and a cold hearted person
294K 40.1K 20
လက်တွေ့ဘဝနှင့် နီးစပ်ချင်ယောင်ဆောင်ခြင်း
75.1K 1.9K 69
"mom, dad, Im married!" lahat ng relatives namin ay nagulat sa announcment ko. Sino ba naman kasi ang mag aakala na ang unica ija ng pamilyang Letpr...
156K 395 101
Erotic shots