Heartbeat

By Dralrs

A competition can be a healthy opportunity to make friends, right? Well, not when we are talking about... More

Prologue
It's me, Hi!
Starting line
Let's work!
lab skill competition
First times
Bad decision
Maybe we can be friends...
Ryan's Clinic sessions
Day off together
The party
Black out
Black out part 2
I found a love beautiful and sweet
They got no idea about me and you
Thanksgiving
Horny dates
Surprise!
Hey brother!
Scary day
Christmas time
Not a very merry Christmas
I was made for you
The very first night
Exploring the big old city
Back to work!
Jealousy Jealousy
Trouble
Hold on
Second chance
Life celebration and Valentines day
Sweet temptation
Some bullet holes can't be fixed
Past ghosts
Scaping from the city
Threats and Secrets
Juridic conversation.
Tension on the roof levels
Painful wait
Testing in 1,2,3!
Paradise
Hot holidays
Dear Readers- Attention please!
Burning feelings part 1
Burning feelings part 2
Tomorrow!!
Back off now, your piece of sh*t
You need help

Family ruptures

80 9 0
By Dralrs

Heartbeats chapter 37–  Family ruptures

June 12th

Joe's POV

Today is the day I hope to punish my father for everything he did not just to me but with my little brother. I'm protective over Josh, always have been, even though he doesn't need it anymore. We are both emotionally damaged because of our parents, even though Josh didn't quite notice this until a few months ago.

– I'm fine, thanks. – I mumble when Taylor offers me a bottle of water.

It's burning hot today, we are about to start the summer and I'm a pile of nerves so of course my blue shirt already has visible sweating points but I'm trying to ignore it because I can't change it anyway.
We are on the way to the court and our lawyer is already there, setting everything for the judgment.
We are positive about our chances to win, especially after the bank extracts we finally got last week. Looks like our estimated father took away from Josh about U$50.000 dolls that he had on his bank account. We are also ready to press the judge to stop him from disinheriting us. We are probably going to win, that's not what is making me sick to my stomach, but the fact that I get to look at him for the first time in several years.  The last three years I haven't spent Christmas at home, so I used to just Facetime Josh and send him a little something by Fedex.

– You are not fine, but I understand and respect that.– Taylor whispers to me and I give her a grateful look.

It's amazing that she doesn't pressure me to talk. She knows I'm more introverted and don't have the habit of talking about my feelings all the time like Josh does. We were taking a walk yesterday and he ended up opening with the girls about how he was nervous for today but I couldn't say a word about me. I just stood there for him, just like Selena and Taylor, bleeding inside.

And I can't stop the guilt in my heart for wanting them to change some day. It's a shame but part of me hopes they are going to look at us entering that courtroom and start to realize what they are missing. Maybe I'm freaking too much wishing that our father would change, but mother is a mother, I can't believe she doesn't have a drop of love for us inside her cold attitude.

My mind is running a thousand miles per hour. These past weeks haven't been easy. Between this judgment, walking up with a screaming Taylor having nightmares about her father and studying for my intern test that's in 2 weeks, I haven't slept more than a couple hours a night. The dark circles under my eyes are bigger than ever. I really need to start to sleep, otherwise my memory will be affected and I'm going to fail my test, so Taylor and I already decided we are going home and take a Zolpidem pill to sleep as soon as we arrive from here.

Way too soon, Taylor parks the car and I turn yellow seeing my brother leave the car shaking. That son of a bitch is really making a number on us. I don't think I'll ever forget my pain for being in a room testifying against the two people that should've been the most importants on my life but that in reality are strangers for me.

Selena and Josh start to walk, Taylor and I follow them, a few steps behind.

– I just hate all of it. I just wish we had a normal family.– I say almost in a whisper.

– I know babe, and I'm sorry some families are fucked up, but remember blood isn't what makes a family. – she says, caressing my arm, and I feel a lump in my throat.

She 's right. My progenitors, my parents, are not my family. My family is Josh, Taylor and our group of friends from the hospital.

We finally enter the courtroom and my knees go weak looking at the pretentious smile my father has in his disgusting face. Mom look at us like a stone, without showing any emotion, and I don't even know why I'm surprised. She just doesn't have feelings or self opinion, she's a plant on the hand of my father, cold like a steel blade.

Our lawyer sees us and gets closer.

– Hey guys, the other part insists on having a conversation with us, lawyer and clients, because they claim there's a situation that can change the paths of the judgment.

– What is it now? Fuck!– I groan.

– Probably nothing, they are just trying to gain some time.

– Let's Hope you are right.– Josh says and we all nod.

– Okay. Girls, you can come with us too if you want.

They nod and our lawyer makes a sign for them to follow us to the hall, outside the courtroom.

– Dr Granp, lawyer for the other part.– the bald middle aged man introduces himself to us. I give him a polite handshake and Josh just nods, which annoys both our mother and our father, which almost  makes me smile.

– There's my boys, we raised two gentlemens.– My mom says and I think I'm about to throw up.

I'm in shock with their faces, looking at us as they wouldn't have made our lives miserable. By my side, I can see Selena wrapping her arms around Josh to try to stop him. 

– And they have taste for girlfriends, look…– my father says and my blood boils but before I can raise my arm Josh throws himself on him, but unfortunately the lawyers help Selena to hold him, while he screams:

– Shut up your piece of shit! Don't you dare to even look at the girls.

– Oh my youngest boy, always more explosive than Joseph.

– Shut up you too, mother, you aren't even  an inch better than him.– I scream at her.

– Oh, what I did to deserve two angry and ungrateful children, uh?

– Let's make sure to raise the third right, love.– My dad says and I get confused. Josh looks at me as confused as me.

Our lawyer breaks the silence.

– Is that confirmed? Mrs Thompson is pregnant with a third child?

I freeze. For milliseconds I just hear my heart beating in my ears, and my brain try to process the information. We are having a brother, more than 20 years later.

She nods and I get out of my frozen state, running to the closer trash can to throw up everything in my stomach and something more.

No, this is one of my nightmares. This can't be real, right?

I slap my face but Taylor holds me, helping me to sit on a chair and open a few buttons on my shirt to help me get some air.

– Deep breaths, Joe, remember, deep breaths.

Eventually my breathing normalizes and I see my brother on the floor, so I run to him.

When I get there, Selena has his coat doubled under his head and she's holding his legs up.

– What happened? – I ask while Taylor checks the pulse.

– He blacked out, but he's awaking already.

– Pulse in 87– Taylor says and I nod, taking a deep breath.

He wakes up and we look at each other, and then to our parents talking with their lawyer and our lawyer somewhere.

– This is real? Mom really involved an innocent in a family battle? She's almost 44 Joe, how is this even possible?

I don't know what to say so I just put him into a hug.

– I don't understand why she did this. – I say after a while, still hugging Josh, who's sobbing on my shoulders.– If she was missing having someone, why didn't she leave that stupid man she calls husband and ask us for forgiveness?

– I don't think this was the reason, Joseph.– Our lawyer says and Josh and I turn around to look at him.

– This child changes everything. Once there's a third heir in the image, you guys no longer are able to question the disinheritance.

– This woman is crazy?!– Selena screams and Josh and I start to laugh because she's been quiet all day.

– Sorry, guys, I just…– she starts but Josh kisses her on the cheeks.

– Don't say sorry, babe, you are right. I'm a child of a shit man with a crazy bitch.

I have to hold back my laugh, even though I fear that If I open my mouth I'm going to cry.

– This is just unbelievable. Can we even have proof that she's pregnant? – I ask, trying to ignore a part of my brain that makes me look at a tiny bump under my mom's dress.

– Yes, Joe. I already did pictures of the ultrasound, I believe you understand it more than me. I honestly don't see anything in these pictures.

He shows me his phone and it's really clear that it is there, a small human. I show Josh and he smacks the wall with his left fist before the girls or I can do anything to stop.

– What do we do now?– Josh asks.

– Now we keep the judgment about the forced marriage and ask for your financial compensation. Unfortunately your father's disinheritance process is now legitimate. And let me tell you guys, that was a really low and cruel strategy, but it worked, unfortunately.  So, are you ready to start?

– Yes.– We both speak together.

– I just need ten minutes to recompose myself.– I say as I follow the bathroom and make a sign to Josh to do the same. I need to take a look at his probably broken left hand and cry with him, and I don't want Taylor to see me like this.

This day is just beginning and it's already too much.

Taylor's POV

Joe left for the bathroom and I'm sure he wants privacy to break down. I don't even know how he's still breathing. I honestly would have passed out with all these news.

– What are the chances of them sobbing inside that bathroom? – Selena asks me, already knowing the answer.

– 113%. – I answered and we both let out a sour laugh.

– They are going to be a mess by the end of the day.

– Don't even tell me.– I sigh.

Then, the shit they have for their mother look at us and my anger boils my blood.

– You!– I snapped at her, pointing my finger. – You are the reason your boys are a mess! How could you let the nannies raise them, watching your miserable husband difficult their lives, and now you have the nerve to bring an innocent to a family destroyed by your husband's ambitions?

– Young Lady… I'm glad that Joe found someone, apparently Josh too. I never wanted anything bad for my kids, and you both seem to be good girls. But let me tell you something, honey, they made their own decisions, they had their chance. I love them, but they have to grow up and deal with their errors. And It's my husband's right to want something to keep his legacy alive, so we made this decision together.

My jaw drops when she confirms they did it on purpose.

– Jesus, this is so low, you all are just disgusting.

– No honey, we are strategy people that think about solutions for their problems. And let me teach you just one more thing, in case you marry him someday : in a marriage, you stop making decisions thinking about what it's best for you and start to make decisions that are going to be better for both. When you marry, you belong to another person, you own obedience to your husband in every aspect, so if you have different opinions you ignore them for the good of the marriage. It's not difficult to understand, is it?– she says and rubs my arms and I give a step back with a disgusted face.

– Never ever touch me again or talk. You are just as  crazy and evil as your husband. – I say and she goes away and I go sit because my legs are numb.

– Oh my God, she's worse than anything I could have imagined.– Selena says and side-hugs me, we both are scared to death and can't wait for this day to end but we are far from this.

They boys finally leave the bathroom with red eyes and fuming with anger and disappointment. Without a word we take their hands and take then to the courtroom to the judge.

Selena and I hug them and sit at our place while they sit beside the lawyer. Now it's just a few more hours and everyone will be free.

Joe's POV

The judge gets up and we follow him in a respect sign.

– Good morning everyone. We are here today to begin the lawsuit filed… by Mr Joshua William Thompson against his father, Mr Augustus Thompson, alleging that he was a victim … of false imprisonment after refusing to participate… in a … forced marriage… and demanding to be paid for the years he worked in the family… company.– The judge says and I get concerned. The judge is not okay. He 's pale.

I exchanged looks with Selena and Taylor. They seem to be noticing the same.

Before I can comment on my impression with my lawyer, the judge pass out.

– Someone calls 911, he's coded.– I scream as soon as I get there and see no pulse.

Taylor assumes the compressions and I get ready to change positions with her every two minutes until the ambulance is here.

– Come on, man, we need you! Don't give the bad guys the satisfaction of dying!– I mumble as I'm taking the compressions.

– We are here!– We heard the paramedics say after 15 minutes.

We quickly say the case and they see a shockable rhythm now.

– Charge 150! 

No response.

– Charge 200!

A weak pulse appears on the monitor and I sigh in relief.

– Take him to the William Grant hospital, please.

They nod and take him.

– Well, apparently we are going to relive hell other day, Josh.– I pat on my brother's shoulders. He's just skeptical that a day could go so wrong.

– Let's go home, please, I can't with this day anymore.– He says and absolutely agree. Tonight we just need to scream and break something to put out our anger before going to bed. It's 11 am and I'm exhausted.

It's not the fact that we lost the right to contest the will but their audacity to make an human baby, an innocent, just to make them the heir, just for the fucking money. Josh and I are adults, we both work and love our jobs, we will get everything we want and need from our jobs, but this child is not even close to being born and is already condemned to be a CEO of a big company and marrying with whoever our father decides.

Trying to stop my mind for a second I let myself on Taylor's embrace, letting her comfort me.

– Now we are ready to go.– she whispers and I enter the car, hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

AN: Guys, I just now realize I didn't give you my Instagram. It's @fanfics.dralrs( Oficina da ficção). Eventually I'll be posting spoilers there. Please check It out! Love ya! 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 50.9K 72
"Anjos como você não podem ir para o inferno comigo." Toda confusão começa quando Alice Ferreira, filha do primeiro casamento de Abel Ferreira, vem m...
4.9K 373 14
Beatriz, uma jovem cheia de sonhos que mora na Rocinha, filha de mãe solteira. Vive sua vida tranquila até se envolver com Vitor, um homem frio que v...
1.4M 102K 46
𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐞:𝚅𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚒 𝚍𝚎 𝙹𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝚜𝚎 𝚊𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚡𝚘𝚗𝚊 𝚙𝚎𝚕𝚊 𝚊 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚏𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚘𝚛𝚊 𝚍𝚎 𝚜𝚞𝚊 𝚏𝚒𝚕𝚑𝚊 𝚎... ➸Plágio é crime ➸Fanf...
1.3M 79.2K 78
De um lado temos Gabriella, filha do renomado técnico do São Paulo, Dorival Júnior. A especialidade da garota com toda certeza é chamar atenção por o...