The Merger

By JSPRomComs

[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. šŸ”„ Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language... More

Important Note - Book Update
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue
COMING SOON: Book 2!
Thanks!
Other Books

Chapter 3

1.2K 85 482
By JSPRomComs

I flick through the slides I'm going to present to the board of directors. While I was able to avert a major crisis yesterday, these numbers continue to trend downward and my nerves aren't letting up. My mind shuffles through the outcomes for what feels like the hundredth time.

Scenario one (aka best case): The board of directors dish out words of encouragement. A 'Hang in there' or an 'It's not easy right now but you're doing great'. Or maybe even a 'You are perfectly amazing and smart, let's all hug it out' if we'd like to get creative.

Scenario two (aka worst case): I hear the 'We knew this would happen', the ever so eloquent, 'You idiot', and of course the perfectly charming, 'You're fired'.

If only I could just tell the board we're trying our best. But in my world there are no A's for effort. A's are reserved for money in their accounts. And a lot of it.

While I scan each data chart, I inaudibly recite the strategies I prepared.

You got this, Talia. Stay strong.

My stomach tightens as soon as I get the ping from my assistant.

Imani: The board is here. They're gathering in the conference room now and I've got the deck up and ready to go.

I take in a deep breath before typing out a response.

Talia: I'll be out in a sec. How are they looking? Angry? Annoyed? What's it giving?

Imani: Hmm...actually...it's giving thankful...or maybe even fortunate?

I furrow my brows.

Talia: What? What does fortunate look like?

Imani: I don't know. Maybe like...content? Like they just had a lovely bbq with friends and family and are cherishing the memories together.

My eyes widen. Content? I shoot up and quickly adjust my off-white blazer and slacks before making my way out of my office.

Imani's desk sits right outside and I give my assistant, with russet brown skin and long black hair, an amused look. "A lovely barbecue?"

A smirk paints Imani's face and her shoulders briefly reach for her ears. "It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw them. Now go on and slay, Queen Talia!"

I laugh and mouth a thank you before heading to the conference room. The sound of my black heels clicking against the concrete floors are like a ticking time bomb in the empty hallway. My pulse picks up speed when I see each board member taking their seat through the glass walls that surround the room.

The board consists of five men including the company founder and CEO, Bill. From what I can see, the men, who are dressed in suits of various shades of blue or black, are talking animatedly to each other. And there's also Cora, who's Bill's wife. The older woman in a white Chanel suit is the first to spot me coming toward them and gives me an 'I know something you don't know' type smile.

What is going on? Why does it look like they just came back from a fantastic barbecue?

"Hi everyone, sorry to keep you waiting," I say as I push open the glass door.

The faces turn to me and everyone greets me as I make my way to the head of the table. I may be on the verge of getting fired, but I'm determined to put up a hell of a fight first.

"Alright, shall we get started? We have a lot of content to go through. I trust you all reviewed the materials before coming here?" I grab the little black clicker and wait as the board members give each other mysterious glances.

What the hell is going on?

"Actually Talia. There's been a change of plans. We're not going to be reviewing financials or walking through strategy today," Bill says as he clasps his hands together on the gray marble top conference table in front of him.

My stomach drops. "Oh? I didn't receive any word on the change in agenda. I really think you all will like what I'm going to show you. I have the next quarter's game plan all mapped out."

Bill shakes his head full of short, white hair. "That won't be necess-"

"Look, I know the economy isn't doing us favors this year but I have full confidence with these plans I've created we can weather the storm out." Moisture skims along my palms as I try to formulate other ways to convince them I'm more than qualified to get us back on track.

Bill smiles and glances toward the other men who mirror his expression. "I'm glad to hear that you're energized about the future. We have some big news we'd like to share with you today."

My eyebrows shoot up and before I can say anything, Bill continues. "We know it's been a difficult year, to say the least. And we know there are things that have happened that are out of our control."

I nod. So, my first scenario may be the right one after all. Thank God. The thought pushes out the breath I'm holding.

Bill clears his throat before continuing. "But it's time to get things back under our control and streamline our assets. After much due diligence and discussion among the board, we've decided to move forward with a merger."

My jaw falls to the floor. "W-what? A merger?" An icy-hot sensation erupts along my skin as I try to mentally run through the implications of a merger. Resourcing? Clients? Capital? And last, but most certainly not least, my job security?

"I know it's a lot to process and I'm sure you have a lot of questions but we're here to discuss it. We'll be merging with a small, up-and-coming company that's making waves with their head-first approach into new technology. A merger would be mutually beneficial with our legacy and their tools," says Rob, another board member who's seated across from Bill.

Rob's words land on deaf ears as my brain whips through companies that fit that description. A certain name crosses my mind, and I shudder at the thought.

"The merger has already been finalized with their CEO and their president is being notified as we speak. You'll need to oversee that all goes smoothly and reduce headcount where there's overlap. We have a packet here that goes into detail about why this merger will be beneficial for both parties."

My pulse shoots off like a rocket as I glance down at the glossy packet that's passed to me. I swallow and flinch slightly when the words register. "Get rid of overlap? Wouldn't two presidents count as overlap?"

Bill shakes his head. "Well, that's the only resourcing that'll be maintained. We'd like to try out having you be co-presidents. You may even know him. He also went to Harvard, possibly around the same time you did."

My eyes widen and my breathing shallows. "What's his name?"

Please. Please for the love of God don't say it. Don't say Luc-

"Lucas. Lucas Handler. We'll be merging with Handler Finance."

My eyes nearly bulge out of their sockets and my head shakes on its own accord.

"Do you know him?"

My fists clench at my sides and my legs tremble slightly. Lucas, the unequivocally grade-A asshole. That Lucas? "Yes. I know him," I respond through gritted teeth.

"Excellent. Then that should make it all the better when you both start working together. We'll need you both to oversee that this merger goes on without a hitch over the next four months."

My heart is banging against my rib cage, trying to knock out everyone in front of me. If I work with Lucas then all hopes for my career would without a doubt sink down the drain. I shake my head again and gulp. "I mean, I know we talked about a potential merger during the last meeting, but I thought that was squashed!" The last word comes out a little harsher than I intended and I pray I keep my cool.

"We wanted to tell you earlier but we agreed with Charles just to keep it between the CEOs and board members until everything was sorted."

That's a load. They probably didn't want me convincing them to back out. My teeth grind again before I speak. "Thank you for sharing the news. It's an exciting opportunity and I think I just need a moment to process. Will you excuse me for just a few minutes?" Without waiting for a response, I flee from the suffocating conference room and storm toward my office.

Imani blinks rapidly when our eyes meet, but I swiftly make it into my office and slam the door shut behind me before my assistant can ask any questions.

Blood is pumping rapidly in my veins as I pace the room. I place a hand on my forehead, trying to wrap my mind around what's happening. My original Scenario Two has now been knocked off its Worst Case title, and this new scenario is here to claim it. A merger with Handler Finance is the worst possible outcome. My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door. I call out toward the entryway, "Imani? I need a minute."

The door creaks open and Cora, Bill's wife, steps in and closes the door behind her. I stop pacing and lean back against my desk, trying not to scream.

The older woman with a streak of gray in her jet-black hair purses her lips and crosses her arms in front of me. "You're not going to quit."

I take in a deep breath. "Co-President with Lucas Handler? Cora, I can't do it. I mean this merger is already a shock, but also the fact that it's Lucas." I raise my hands in the air before continuing, "Literally anyone else. Anyone else but him."

"Listen, I don't know what your deal is with him and frankly I don't give a fuck. This is the best course of action for you. Trust me."

"Cora, I really appreciate all that you've done for me over the years. I wouldn't have even gotten to where I am without you. I hope our paths will cross again someday."

"Shut the fuck up and listen to me. You think you're going to quit on me?" Cora laughs sardonically before shaking her head. "Do you think anyone would hire someone who jumps ship because of a measly merger? And let's not forget about the scandal that's on your record. Do you think anyone would-"

I roll my eyes and scoff, interrupting her. "Don't bring that up. Seriously, I'm tired and not in the mood." While I don't want to think about the scandal, Cora is right to bring it up. Who else would hire me? McAvoy, with Cora's support, is undoubtedly my only way to the top, and quitting now would take me back to square one, begging for someone to give me a chance.

"I'm just reminding you that you wouldn't be here without me, that's all," Cora says in a much lighter tone. "And I'm only saying this because I care about you and want to see you succeed. You are the only person that can do this. You have the drive and the brilliance to get it done. Tell me, have I ever lied to you, child?"

Cora saunters over to the bar cart I reserve for guests and pours two glasses of brandy before continuing in an amused tone. "Besides, I didn't suck my husband's wrinkly dick for two months just to have you leave without turning things around."

I frown and cross my arms. I can do without that image in my mind.

The older woman sighs before turning to me with a grave look. "We have to show them what we're capable of, what women have the power to do. It's too late for me, but you are just getting started."

"But how is that going to work if I'm not fully in charge?" While I do owe a lot of my success to Cora who mentors me and pulls strings I don't even know exist, I just can't fathom how a co-presidency will keep me on track to reach CEO.

Cora takes in a breath and leans forward as if she's going to drop a major piece of gossip at tea time. "The board wanted to wait until tomorrow to share the news."

"More news?" I tilt my head back while Cora nods and hands me the glass filled with amber liquid.

"Yes. While you both oversee the merger, you're going to be assessed for the CEO position replacing Charles and Bill who both want to retire. The most successful candidate will get the job while the other will remain president and report to them."

My eyebrows shoot up toward my hairline. "CEO?" A buzz of energy shoots through me. CEO and overseeing Lucas Handler? Giving him orders and holding his career in the palm of my hand? A smile tugs at my lips as I continue to run through the scenario in my head.

"Good. I knew that would get your attention." Cora laughs and moves to take a seat on one of the couches. "Now is my favorite mentee going to quit or is she going to go kick some balls and show these dumb fucks what she's made of?"

I smile wider before a soft knock on the door grabs my attention. Imani pops her head in and looks between Cora and I timidly. "Sorry to interrupt, Talia. You've just received an urgent message from..." She pauses to glance down at the pink Post-it note she's holding, "Lucas Handler. He said it's extremely urgent and you need to meet with him ASAP."

I glance at Cora who has a mischievous smile plastered across her face. We share a knowing look before I shift my gaze back to Imani. "Did he say when and where?"

"La Cucina in thirty minutes."

"Hmm. Tell him I'll be there in an hour," I say before holding my glass up to Cora and then taking a swig of the strong, oaky liquid.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 7.7K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
189K 3.1K 13
"We've both had too much to drink, David." She whispered into his ear, like a siren with a little flick of her tongue. "And on a weekday too. Boy, we...
4.4M 120K 54
[Editing] He's the grumpy CEO of the company she works for. The very boss, no one gets enough words with before he pushes them far away. And then Sie...
162K 3.5K 33
Jason I started kissing her jaw but not kissing her lips, I like to tease her "Jason please... " she moans grabbing my hair. "Patience baby, do you...