Black Blood

By Darkyph

Celeste's life is far from the enchanting fairy tale one might expect from a princess. Her father, a ruthless... More

Black Blood
Map
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Extra: The four night riders
Book 1 Feedback page
Book 2: Black Witch
-B2- Prologue
-B2- Chapter 1
-B2- Chapter 2
-B2- Chapter 3
-B2- Chapter 4
-B2- Chapter 5
-B2- Chapter 6
-B2- Chapter 7
-B2- Chapter 8
-B2- Chapter 9
-B2- Chapter 10
-B2- Chapter 11
-B2- Chapter 12
-B2- Chapter 13
-B2- Chapter 14
-B2- Chapter 15
-B2- Chapter 16
-B2- Chapter 17
-B2- Chapter 18
-B2- Chapter 19
-B2- Chapter 20
-B2- Chapter 21
-B2- Chapter 22
-B2- Chapter 23
-B2- Chapter 24
-B2- Chapter 25
-B2- Chapter 26
-B2- Chapter 27
-B2- Chapter 28
-B2- Chapter 29
-B2- Chapter 30
-B2- Chapter 31
-B2- Chapter 32
-B2- Chapter 33
-B2- Chapter 34
-B2- Chapter 35
-B2- Chapter 36
-B2- Chapter 37
-B2- Chapter 38
-B2- Chapter 39
-B2- Chapter 40
-B2- Chapter 41
-B2- Chapter 42
-B2- Chapter 43
-B2- Chapter 44
-B2- Chapter 45
-B2- Chapter 46
-B2- Chapter 47
-B2- Chapter 48
-B2- Chapter 49
-B2- Chapter 50
-B2- Chapter 51
-B2- Chapter 52
-B2- Chapter 53
-B2- Chapter 54
-B2- Chapter 55
-B2- Chapter 56
-B2- Chapter 57
-B2- Chapter 58
-B2- Chapter 59
-B2- Chapter 60
-B2- Chapter 61
-B2- Chapter 63
-B2- Chapter 64
-B2- Chapter 65
-B2- Chapter 66
-B2- Chapter 67
-B2- Chapter 68
-B2- Chapter 69
-B2- Chapter 70
-B2- Chapter 71
-B2- Chapter 72
-B2- Chapter 73
-B2- Chapter 74
-B2- Chapter 75
-B2- Chapter 76
-B2- Chapter 77
-B2- Chapter 78
-B2- Chapter 79
-B2- Chapter 80
-B2- Chapter 81
-B2- Chapter 82
-B2- Chapter 83

-B2- Chapter 62

75 9 2
By Darkyph

Novak gives a small laugh before pouring a glass of beer for everyone and placing the plate of chicken in the middle of the table.

With the glass against my lips, I look at Elien, who sits nervously glancing around like a skittish horse. The crowd, the people, the surroundings; sometimes I forget that everything is still new to him.

Slowly, I place my glass back on the table and look at my little brother.

'Have a glass of beer, it helps.' It's not great advice, but it's true. Elien smiles faintly before doing exactly as I say.

The chicken and another pitcher of beer are quickly devoured by the four of us. Hunger and fatigue from the long journey are taking a toll on us more than we realize.

'El, why don't you go get some more beer,' says Novak, no longer entirely sober, as he pushes the pitcher towards Elien. Uncertain, Elien's dark eyes shift from the pitcher to me before he gets up, takes the pitcher, and walks away.

Without realizing it, the three of us immediately turn and follow Elien as he heads to the bar. The awkward fourteen-year-old stands next to a woman slightly older than him and seems to become even more uncomfortable.

'Maybe he's into men,' Alisha suggests with a shrug and a tipsy grin.

'What?' I ask in surprise. Elien is approached by the woman behind the bar, and at the same time, the girl next to him starts a conversation with him.

'He's just as awkward with women as you are with men,' Novak laughs at Alisha, who then gives him a raised eyebrow.

'That's... not true.' I shake my head, laughing, and watch as Elien engages in an actual conversation with a stranger.

'Oh really? Remember three years ago.' My eyes shift from Elien to Alisha, who suddenly turns bright red.

'We're never talking about that again.' Curiously, I turn back and look at Novak, questioning him.

'Does this concern what I think it does?' I inquire about the night when the two of them shared a bed.

'Yes.'

'No.' Alisha buries her face in her hands.

'Tell me everything,' I grin.

Months ago, I was angry when I learned about this information, but now I'm tipsy and confident enough in Novak to want to know.

'Absolutely not,' Alisha responds immediately, but Novak doesn't give her a chance.

'Three years ago, I lived with Asa's pack for months. We became good friends, so much so that I was allowed to attend some of the high gatherings. Back then, Walmoet wasn't yet the king, so his father came to visit. I struck up a conversation with the man after dinner, and he invited me to visit him in Silverwood. After spending more weeks with Asa, who was busy training to become Alpha and had less time, I left and, as agreed, visited the elves. In comparison to Walmoet, the man was more progressive and wanted to learn about different cultures, so I served there to provide that information.'

Alisha turns as red as a tomato while trying to hide her face in her arms.

'Alisha and I bumped into each other, literally, at the spring festival. I think we both had a bit too much to drink that night because I don't remember exactly how it happened, except that we had a connection in the conversations we were having. We ended up in bed at her place, and the next morning, we both woke up with only half of our memories and agreed never to do it again,' Novak finishes his story.

'That's not true, I remember it all,' Alisha contradicts him, pointing her finger at him.

'Was he so bad back then?' I ask with a grin, earning me an offended look from Novak.

'Hey,' Novak says, offended.

'I wouldn't know, actually. It was the first and last time.' I look at her in total amazement. My gaze shifts from Alisha to Novak and back.

'What do you mean?'

'It was my first time with a man, and I didn't enjoy it. I don't think it was Novak's fault; he did his best. I think it's more that I...' She sighs and looks away.

'That your preference leans more towards women?' I ask as the puzzle pieces begin to fall into place. She lets out a sigh and nods.

For a second, I can't contain my surprise until more pieces of the puzzle fall into place, and the information no longer seems so new. It explains why she has shown no interest in men over the past few months and why she was so convinced that Novak and she posed no threat.

It makes me half-turn to the crowd behind me, my eyes scanning the women and then turning back.

'Okay, is there a nice woman among them?' I ask. Immediately, all her nerves seem to disappear, and she blushes again.

'What? No, I'm not looking,' she says, shaking her head. I laugh and am about to continue until my eye falls on Elien, deep in conversation with the girl next to him. The pitcher of beer next to him has already lost its foam.

'I have a feeling someone else should go get beer,' I sigh.

'Maybe he does like women after all,' Novak concludes, and we all laugh deep into the night.

-

'Too bad it didn't work out with Elien and that girl,' Novak says as he inserts the needle into my spine. With my hands clutching the blankets, I grin.

In the end, Novak went to get beer when Elien was still at the bar with that girl after an hour. I still blame Novak for the fact that Elien ended his conversation five minutes later after Novak returned. I didn't catch exactly what was said, and both gentlemen, one with an irritated look, the other grinning, didn't want to tell.

'It's entirely your fault,' I mutter into the pillow as the pain fades into the background, and Novak removes the needle from my skin.

'I wouldn't know why.' I can't see him, but I know he's grinning.

I turn onto my back on our narrow bed. The tavern we were at yesterday didn't have a room, so we had to navigate through the vomit-soaked streets of Runcast in the dead of night to reach the nearest tavern that did. Alisha decided to share a room with Elien, and I ended up with Novak.

Novak gets up from the bed, stashes the needle and the half-empty bottle of viante. I stare at his thin upper body due to the lack of a shirt. His ribs are more visible than when we were last in Runcast.

We've all lost weight in the last few months, and we all realize that the journey must come to an end.

Novak seems to be deep in thought as he picks up his black sweater from the floor.

'We never really talked about what happens when the list is complete,' he remarks, as if we were having the same thoughts.

I let myself fall backward and gaze at the wooden ceiling where a spider has built its home.

'True.'

'Sometimes I forget that there's also a final spell.' I nod in agreement. The spell for which we need all those souls returns often, but each time, I try to push it away as quickly as possible.

Although death doesn't scare me, the idea of slitting my own wrists and sacrificing myself to the gods in the hope that they approve of the offering and I survive is no picnic.

'Are you afraid of that spell?' It's the first time he's asked.

'Yes,' I admit for the first time.

Novak remains silent as he gathers the last few items from the floor and packs them into our bags.

'Have you thought about how we're going to kill your father and Christiaan?'

The options for Christiaan have gone through my head so many times that I've lost count. Even before I fled the castle, ideas were racing through my mind, and in hindsight, I should have done it then.

'I don't think we have time to come up with a well-thought-out plan for my father. When the opportunity arises, we have to take it. As for Christiaan, I'm not sure yet.'

'Who would you prefer to do it yourself?' Sitting up, I look at Novak to answer the question that had confused me months ago. That question has also crossed my mind many times, and the answer remains uncertain.

'Not my father if I don't have to. That man needs to die that day, but that blood means I'll have many more deaths on my conscience, including my mother.' Novak nods slowly.

'Christiaan deserves a slow, painful death, but I'm not sure if I want to be the one to do it. I want to witness it, I want to have a part in it, but the final blow, I'm not sure if I want that. I want to let him go, completely let him go, when death comes for him. Whether I'll ever be able to do that if I'm the one who kills him, I don't know.'

'Okay, then we'll do that.'

We both remain silent as I get dressed, we gather our last few things, and leave the tavern.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 764 27
TEASER: "No fiancΓ©e of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
10.7K 1.2K 46
β™Œ-- Book III of the Astral Guardians Series --β™ˆ To fulfill his late mother's dream has always been En's aim in life. Even though he's not sure he wil...
4.3K 392 33
❝ There are no limits to a power as great as yours. ❞ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ Aurora Celeste has spent her whole royal life as a Crown Princess and next...
8.3K 843 67
A violent passion. A dangerous bond. A nightmare that will change everything. To Ava, love is about as real as fairytales. But it might be that fairy...