Gryffindor Black brothers

By _Book_Worm_2027

What if Regulus hadn't been sorted into Slytherin? What if the Black brothers didn't hate each other? What if... More

disclaimer
character summary
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
Chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
chapter 15
Author's note
Chapter 16

Prologue

334 7 2
By _Book_Worm_2027

 When Sirius had left for Hogwarts, Regulus knew that there was no good coming out of it. But he was happy that his brother was getting out of the hell hole that they had called home. But as the news of Sirius getting sorted into Gryffindor came to their home, Regulus knew that he was screwed. Sirius had always been rebellious and went against everything that their parents said as it was already but now that he had been put into Gryffindor their parents were going to start on him. He always wanted to be like Sirius but now that seems like a distant dream.

When it was time for Regulus to go to Hogwarts, he was dreading it. One part of him wanted to please his parents and cousins and go into Slytherin and the other side of him wants to be like his big brother. The one that's protected him from so much till he left for Hogwarts. When he gets on the train to Hogwarts, his parents do not wave goodbye nor do they hug or kiss him wishing him a good time at the school. They nod at him and immediately apparate back to Grimmauld Place almost before he's pulled his trunk onto the train behind him.

It's nothing more than he expected. Last year, Regulus was permitted to wave to Sirius, but only because he was young. He's eleven now and supposed to behave more maturely. More maturely than Sirius, at any rate, which isn't saying much.

Regulus stays out of the way at home, and this summer had been no exception. His parents want him to go to Slytherin. His cousins want him to go to Slytherin. His grandparents probably want him to go to Slytherin, although they're subtle about it. Not like Bella, who's always telling Regulus it's his job to do better, or even Cissa, who talks to him nonstop about how nice the common room is and how elegant their uniforms are compared to the other houses.

Maybe Andy wouldn't have pestered him so much, but Regulus doubts he'll ever know one way or the other. Anyway, they all want him to go to Slytherin, except Sirius, who wants anything but. Regulus isn't sure what he wants, but he knows he isn't pleased by the idea of everyone telling him where to go. He wants to be sorted according to where he, Regulus, belongs, not according to where his family does.

Regulus pulls the crumpled bit of parchment out of the pocket of his robes and smoothed it out. This is the first step. He'd hesitated to accept Sirius's invitation to sit with him on the train. Being with Sirius is not exactly a clean slate. Regulus has been in the same rooms and houses and parties as Sirius all his life. However, Sirius and his friends are the only people on this train who aren't expecting Regulus to go to Slytherin. At least, they're the only people who aren't certain of it. That's good enough for Regulus. Sirius had given him directions to his usual compartment, and Regulus scrutinizes them now. Sirius's handwriting has gotten worse since he left for Hogwarts. Actually, perhaps it's gotten better. It's less elegant, but much easier to read.

He picks up his trunk and starts walking. The train is crowded, everyone in the aisle looking for their friends. Regulus doesn't want to shove his way through, so he slips through gaps, trying not to jostle people, keeping his head down, disappearing into the crowd for what may very well be the last time he can. After all he knows that once he is at Hogwarts it won't be possible. Naturally, it doesn't last.

He's made it about halfway to the compartment Sirius noted down when heels clack against the floor behind him and Cissa's voice says, "Hello, Regulus."

Regulus turns. "Hello, Narcissa."

Cissa is smiling, the close-lipped, careful smile of a Black in public, but she lets a bit of warmth show despite what her oldest sister thought she loved her cousins and middle sister a lot. Andromeda leaving had affected her massively despite her not showing it in public.

Her Head Girl badge is pristine, and she's wearing a matching barrette in her hair. "Are you looking for somewhere to sit? I believe Poppea Rookwood has arrived."

Regulus does not like Poppea. He knows she's encouraged to practice a mask of polite indifference in public, of course—he is too—but Poppea overcompensates and projects more supercilious apathy than anything else. And she kicked her cat once for scratching her.

"Barty got on the train before me to find an empty compartment," Regulus lies.

Cissa nods. "Wonderful."

Of course it is. Barty will probably be a Slytherin or a Ravenclaw, and if Regulus ends up in the same house as him, he has determined that they could be acquaintances. The Crouch family isn't anywhere near as old as most of the people Regulus is encouraged to spend time with, but Barty's father is climbing ranks quickly at the Ministry, so it's permitted.

Regulus isn't sure he likes Barty that much either, but at least he's not annoying, just a bit dull.

"I'll see you at the Sorting, then," Cissa says, with a sort of glint in her eye that Regulus imagines is meant to be conspiratorial, as if they all know what will happen to him at the Sorting. "Would you like a Feather light charm for your trunk?"

"No, thank you, Father did one already." Regulus smiles, because even if Cissa wants him to be a Slytherin, at least she's nice. "Have a nice trip."

"You as well." She steps around him and sets off toward the prefect compartments, robes swirling behind her.

Cissa is tall enough that people notice her when she's coming. She doesn't have to wait for anyone to get out of her way.

That's settled. If Cissa ever finds out Regulus didn't sit with Barty on the train, it'll already be too late for her to do something about it. Anyway, he thinks she'd understand him sitting with Sirius. Everyone knows Cissa misses Andy the most. Its good Bella has graduated already. She sneers at Sirius.

Regulus keeps walking. Trying to keep his head down as he was before his cousin had called to him. He hears Sirius before he sees him, voice raised like he's talking over his entire compartment.

"And then— no, James, I said we're bloody getting there—Bella said she thought Malfoy would waste his whole fortune by the time he turns thirty."

Oh, yes. Regulus knows this story. He walks a bit faster and tucks the parchment back into his pocket. He doesn't need directions when Sirius's voice is practically a beacon.

"And Cissa hexed her skin green for being jealous that Malfoy has a fortune in the first place. That's verbatim." Someone laughs as Sirius keeps talking. "And Bella couldn't remove it for a week. And I bribed Reg to get a picture, since he's sneaky—"

Regulus knocks on the door to their compartment and slides it open.

Sirius, lying on one of the benches with his feet kicked up on the wall, looks up and grins. "Fabulous timing."

The other people in the compartment look up at Regulus in eerie unison, like how Andy and Bella used to say the same thing at the exact same time.

He's never met any of these people before, but he can guess, based on Sirius's descriptions. James Potter looks like he just rolled out of bed. (He's shoved almost entirely to one end of the bench he and Sirius are sharing, so Sirius can lie down, but James doesn't look like he cares.) The short boy by the window must be Peter Pettigrew, open curiosity on his round face. Thus, by process of elimination, the tall, thin one closest to the door is Remus Lupin. He looks guarded. Huh.

There's also a tawny owl in a cage between Pettigrew and Lupin, which Regulus doesn't know anything about, but he's fairly sure it's not important.

"Hello," Regulus says. H

e does not shift his feet nervously. He hasn't done that since he was eight. It's tempting, though.

Sirius gets up and claps a hand on Regulus's shoulder before levitating his trunk up onto the rack. "Didn't get lost, did you?"

"Narcissa intercepted me. I told her I was sitting with Barty Crouch."

Sirius raises his eyebrows.

Regulus shrugs. "I didn't want to get another speech about how Slytherin is so much better than all the other houses in every possible way, especially Gryffindor. Do you know, I think she might be hinting that she wants me to go to Slytherin?"

"Impossible to be sure, since she's so subtle about it and all." Sirius plops back down on the bench, properly this time, which leaves space for Regulus to sit near the door. "Everyone, this is Regulus, upon whose shoulders rest my parents' hopes and dreams for our family being the tiniest bit respectable. Regulus, this is James, Peter, James's owl Robert, and Remus."

"Should I be offended Robert was introduced before me?" Remus says dryly.

What kind of an owl name is Robert? Regulus does not say out loud.

"He's in between you and Peter, I was going in order," Sirius says.

"Right," Regulus says. "I'm the one who should be offended that Sirius thinks I can't tell the difference between an owl and a person."

James laughs and pokes Sirius. "Bit rich of you, considering—"

"Absolutely not," Sirius says loudly. "Peter, tell us about your summer."

Regulus settled into the compartment, feeling a mixture of relief and curiosity as he listened to the banter between Sirius and his new companions. He had heard stories about James, Peter, and Remus from Sirius over the years, but this was the first time he was meeting them in person.

Peter, a pudgy boy with a round face, launched into a story about his summer adventures, which mainly involved visiting his grandparents' farm and helping with various chores. Regulus couldn't help but smile at Peter's enthusiasm, even though he found the topic somewhat mundane.

As Peter's tale continued, Remus Lupin, the reserved and thoughtful one of the group, observed Regulus with a keen eye. Regulus could sense that Remus was trying to gauge him, perhaps to see if he was anything like his older brother. Regulus decided to break the ice and make a good ipression.

"So, Remus," Regulus began, addressing the boy beside him, "Sirius has told me quite a bit about all of you. I must say, I'm looking forward to my time at Hogwarts with this lively bunch."

Remus nodded, a faint smile tugging at his lips. "It's always good to have new people join our circle. Sirius can be quite the troublemaker, but he's also one of the most loyal friends you'll ever have."

Regulus appreciated the reassurance. He knew that being the younger brother of a notorious troublemaker like Sirius might come with certain expectations and judgments. It was nice to know that Remus, at least, seemed open to giving him a fair chance.

As Peter's story wound down, James Potter leaned forward, his messy hair falling into his hazel eyes. "So, Regulus, what's your take on all this Gryffindor versus Slytherin rivalry? Sirius has been known to rile up Slytherins from time to time."

Regulus considered his response carefully. He didn't want to give the impression that he was firmly aligned with either house just yet. "Well," he began, "I suppose there's something admirable about the bravery and chivalry that Gryffindor values. But Slytherin's cunning and ambition have their merits too. I think it's important to judge people based on their character rather than the house they're sorted into."

Sirius grinned at his brother's diplomatic response. "Well put, Reggie! See, I told you he's got a good head on his shoulders."

Peter and James both nodded in agreement, while Remus continued to study Regulus thoughtfully. It seemed that the young Lupin was the most cautious of the group, always assessing the situation and the people around him.

As the conversation continued, the topic shifted to Hogwarts classes, magical creatures, and their expectations for the Sorting Hat's decision. Regulus listened attentively, realizing that he was truly starting to feel like part of this group. He even found himself laughing at one of James's jokes, appreciating the friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

Hours passed, and the train made its way towards Hogwarts. Regulus's earlier anxiety about his impending Sorting had faded, replaced by a sense of camaraderie and excitement. He couldn't predict which house he would be sorted into, but he was beginning to understand that it was the people he met and the friendships he formed that would truly define his Hogwarts experience.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 35 16
Let's rewind... It's 1976 and Regulus is returning for his fifth year at Hogwarts. With one of the worst summers of his life behind him, he's slight...
1.5K 80 17
Its been two years since the marauders have graduated. James and Lily are married with a baby on the way, and Sirius and Peter are very busy with th...
37.8K 1.3K 18
Where Regulus Black has lost himself and James Potter has not found himself. Both of them are missing something in their lives. There is only hope th...
4.9K 169 53
Regulus black always knew how his life at Hogwarts would be. Every black always gets sorted into Slytherin,well,that was until his older brother Siri...