Chapter 1

Regulus despised the fact that first-year students had to take a different route to the school compared to the rest of the years. The anxiety gnawed at him ever since he had to part ways with his older brother, Sirius. He didn't know any of the people around him, and this separation was utterly nerve-wracking. It felt like the weight of the entire world rested on his shoulders. However, like any true member of the Black family, Regulus carefully concealed his emotions behind a stoic facade and pretended that everything was perfectly fine.

But one haunting question continued to echo in his mind: "Would everything truly be fine?" His heart pounded, threatening to burst out of his chest as he disembarked from the boat. Surely, everything would work out in the end. He had a plan to follow, one meticulously crafted by his mother, and he had to adhere to it without fail to avoid her wrath. Regulus had spent years thinking about her and her distant, never-contented demeanour.

He didn't want to provoke her anger, though when was she ever not angry? It seemed like she was perpetually irate. He never wished to be on the receiving end of her fury, even though he found himself there more often than not. What eleven-year-olds could claim that their parents didn't care about them? What child could feel so utterly alone? In his chest, a simmering resentment toward his parents took root. What gave them the right to treat them this way, just because they deemed it fit? Was this how Sirius felt all the time? Did he feel so trapped in this stifling environment that he was willing to break out, no matter the cost?

Was this deep-seated resentment what drove Sirius to be the person he was? Regulus could feel it bubbling within him, but before he could explore it further, he entered the Great Hall. Suddenly, he felt as though every eye of the Sacred 28 was fixed upon him as if everyone in attendance was waiting for him to fulfil his duty. It was an overwhelming sensation, and he desperately sought out Sirius's eyes in the crowd.

Regulus glanced at his older brother, wishing he could convey how much he didn't want any of this. He didn't want to be at Hogwarts anymore, and he didn't want to return home either. All he wished for was time to stand still, so he wouldn't have to face any of this. Sirius attempted to smile at him, but it looked so forced that Regulus had to avert his gaze. Sirius didn't believe that he could be saved from this fate, despite James' words and Sirius's own assurances. Regulus feared that he might end up just like their parents, losing everything he held dear.

Images of his mother's cold, cruel eyes and his father's dismissive attitude toward both of them, even when they were mere children, filled his mind. He recalled every heartless insult and curse thrown their way, and he felt his determination to carry out what was expected of him begin to fracture.

"Regulus Black."

This was it; the moment of truth had arrived. It felt as though his heart was lodged in his throat, threatening to leap out at any moment. Trembling, he approached the Sorting Hat, which was placed on a stool. He tried to steady his breathing as the hat began to speak to him.

"Hmm, a Black, I suppose I know where you belong, child, so why do I sense so much apprehension in you?" The Hat's tone was genuinely curious.

Sirius had mentioned that the hat talked, but hearing it for himself sent shivers down Regulus's spine. This was it; the moment he had dreaded.

"I... I don't want to go to—"

"To Slytherin? Oh, child, don't worry. If you belong there, then that's where you belong. You don't have to be so scared," the Hat replied, almost chuckling, and Regulus felt his heart constrict.

Belong? Did he really belong in that house? No, it couldn't be. A wave of terror surged through him.

"No, no, I don't think that I should— I don't—"

"This is my job, child, so if you'll excuse me—"

Horror washed over Regulus. Could it be? Did he just tell the Sorting Hat no? Did anyone ever do that? He hoped fervently that he wasn't the first. He couldn't move, and all he could hear was the rushing of blood in his ears until the Hat spoke again.

"Hmm, perhaps I was mistaken. Tell me, boy, what are you so afraid of? Where do you want to be?" The Hat's tone shifted from annoyance to curiosity.

Regulus lowered his head, not wanting to meet the gazes of those around him.

"I am not scared," he snapped, though it was a lie. "What do you mean, where do I want to be? Aren't you supposed to know all of that?" Frustration and shame overwhelmed him. Surely his mother would hear about this, and he was likely to be hexed for his defiance. Maybe she would even follow through on her promise to use the Cruciatus Curse on him if he failed—

"I see," the Hat paused, "what do you want to be?" it asked finally, and Regulus could only hope that his thoughts were clear enough because this could very well be his last chance.

I want to be strong.

I want to be like Sirius.

I want to be brave.

The Hat seemed to deliberate for a moment before letting out a soft laugh.

"You and your brother are more alike than you think. Telling me 'no,' that is certainly a brave thing to do, boy. Very well, I can see that you will do very well with the path you'll take. I wish you the best of luck." Regulus held his breath.

His mother's voice flashed through his mind, cruel and demanding, and he squeezed his eyes shut.

"You better not disappoint me like he has, Regulus! I will not stand for it."

"Of course not, Mother."

Regulus clenched his fists within the folds of his pristine robes and twisted them, hoping that no one would notice.

"Better be..." the Hat trailed off.

Breathe, he told himself, gritting his teeth.

"...Gryffindor!"

"Of course not, Mother."

Regulus had never felt particularly good about lying, especially to his mother, as she always seemed to detect his falsehoods. But this time, he had managed to deceive her completely. She had no idea. Elation surged through his chest.

As he opened his eyes, he witnessed the hall erupting into applause, and Sirius vaulting over a table, rushing toward him as he stepped off the stool. Regulus stumbled into his brother's embrace, trembling so intensely that there was no way Sirius hadn't noticed. His big brother, smiling like a fool and laughing—Regulus could still see the tears glistening in his eyes. Regulus found himself smiling in return; he hadn't let Sirius down.

It was still "them against the world," just as it had always been and always would be. Regulus, enveloped in his brother's arms, felt a sense of freedom he hadn't experienced in years. Finally, he understood why Sirius had acted the way he did.

"It's us against the world, right, Siri?" Regulus asked, seeking reassurance.

"Yeah, always, Reg."

And then he thought of the Sorting Hat's question.

"What do you want to be?"

Regulus took a deep breath and smiled back at Sirius, a genuine, broad smile that might have appeared unsightly to others.

"I want to be brave."