When It's Time to Move On

By saimcheeda

The story about a dying man who gets another chance at life. Or rather four. Four doors that lead him to diff... More

Prologue
The Hospital - Chapter 1 - Bad News
The Station - Chapter 2 - Who are you?
Door 1 - Chapter 3 - Where Am I?
Door 1 - Chapter 4 - This Beautiful Life
Door 1 - Chapter 5 - The Stranger
Door 1 - Chapter 6 - Lost in the Mist
Door 1 - Chapter 7 - His Story
Door 1 - Chapter 8 - New Starts
Door 1 - Chapter 9 - Expectations
Door 1 - Chapter 10 - The Poor Woman
Door 1 - Chapter 11 - Broken Lives
Door 1 - Chapter 12 - Reaching Out
Door 1 - Chapter 13 - Leaving This Behind
The Station - Chapter 14 - What was that?
Door 2 - Chapter 15 - Wasteland
Door 2 - Chapter 16 - Standoff
Door 2 - Chapter 18 - Sergio
Door 2 - Chapter 19 - Someplace Safe
Door 2 - Chapter 20 - Cleansing
Door 2 - Chapter 21 - Remember
Door 2 - Chapter 22 - Faith
Door 2 - Chapter 23 - Wake up
Door 2 - Chapter 24 - Goodbye
Door 2 - Chapter 25 - Innocence
Door 2 - Chapter 26 - Don't Forget
The Station - Chapter 27 - Why me?
Door 3 - Chapter 28 - Once Again
Door 3 - Chapter 29 - All Those Years Ago
Door 3 - Chapter 30 - Desperation
Door 3 - Chapter 31 - Positive
Door 3 - Chapter 32 - Importance
Door 3 - Chapter 33 - Finer Things in Life
Door 3 - Chapter 34 - Choosing to Live
Door 3 - Chapter 35 - Her Story
Door 3 - Chapter 36 - Thank You
Door 3 - Chapter 37 - Roslin
Door 3 - Chapter 38 - Understanding
Door 3 - Chapter 39 - How They Lived
Door 3 - Chapter 40 - Closure
Door 3 - Chapter 41 - A Smile Away
Door 3 - Chapter 42 - All of Them
The Station - Chapter 43 - Will you be with me?
Door 4 - Chapter 44 - A New Life
Door 4 - Chapter 45 - Search for Passion
Door 4 - Chapter 46 - Feelings Hour
Door 4 - Chapter 47 - Close Call
Door 4 - Chapter 48 - Hustling
Door 4 - Chapter 49 - Bonding
Door 4 - Chapter 50 - Her
Door 4 - Chapter 51 - Pink
Door 4 - Chapter 52 - Genius
Door 4 - Chapter 53 - Worth It
Door 4 - Chapter 54 - The Two of Us
Door 4 - Chapter 55 - Their Story
Door 4 - Chapter 56 - Longton
Door 4 - Chapter 57 - The Exhibit
Door 4 - Chapter 58 - For the Last Time
The Station - Chapter 59 - What do you think now?
Door 5 - Chapter 60 - One Good Turn
The Station - Chapter 61 - Time to Move On
Epilogue - The Train

Door 2 - Chapter 17 - His Story

51 5 0
By saimcheeda

By the time Harris came to, Jake had concealed the hole in the wall. He used the rest of the wood to create a small fire in the center of the room. Jake didn't seem content enough to relax and kept diverting between stoking the fire and peering out into the street. Meanwhile, Harris flopped over to the fire and gratefully warmed himself.

"You should take it easy for a while." He suggested to Jake.

"You should rest," came the reply.

"They won't be back. I was here last night," said Harris.

"I know... I just wanted to make sure." Jake's voice sounded heavy with emotion, suddenly.

He set himself down across Harris, the flames reflecting on his eyes highlighting the face full of melancholy. Harris was certain it didn't have to do with the lives he had taken during the day. The easiness with which he had dispatched their enemies, the flawless brutality of it made it clear that this was a man of violence, someone who had been amongst it long enough to not let himself be bothered by it anymore.

This sorrow was for something more personal that held a certain amount of weight in the man's heart, and it was truly bothering him.

"We'll find them, the boy and his mother," said Harris assuredly. Jake looked up, perhaps taken aback by the forthright words or the transparency of the situation.

"I gave it away, huh? Because the blame does lie with me," said Jake abhorrently. "They're out there because I left them there."

"Were you trying to distract the guards away?"

"I wasn't talking about today."

"Are you saying you started this war?"

"It takes a bad man to spark a war, but it takes an even worse one to fuel it, which is what I was a part of, and I hate myself for it. It started out so differently, I want you to know that, I never thought things would escalate to this," said Jake earnestly. "But when things get out of control, so do people."

"That's true, but we all have to adapt and survive, don't we?"

"I did survive but I didn't adapt, I dominated."

"I really don't understand what's happening here," said Harris truthfully. "If you'll believe me, I woke up and then found myself in Invio. I have no idea what this unrest is about, who the insurgents or invaders are."

"I'm not sure I should tell you, it'll be easier if you just focus on getting to the exit point."

"I think I have a right to know, I did save your life back at the Plaza."

"All right." Jake sighed after some thought. "But once you know, I wouldn't fault you if you would want to go on by yourself."

"Why don't you let me be the judge of that? Tell me who you are and how do you tie into all this?"

"That... is a really good question and the most difficult to answer." Jake sighed again. "Who I am right now is perhaps the most wanted man in Invio – neither the insurgents nor the invaders trust me – although I'd say it skewers more for the invaders considering I was a part of them once."

"What!?"

"That's right, you noticed I didn't seem like an Invian, and you weren't wrong, I'm not. I was one of the invaders of the country – it wasn't a full-scale invasion – we started out by infiltrating the bases in covert operations, and that's when I set foot here for the first time." Jake continued. "I learned their ways, their dialect, I became one of them, but I wasn't. I was the enemy."

"Then how did you end up here?"

"You can't stand on a tower of bodies for too long, it's bound to collapse some time, and it did," Jake said sadly. "The infiltration lasted for months. During that time, I became friendly with one of the government workers, Sergio, my intention was to gain as much information as I could but he became my friend. But my task was still on and I passed that classified information over. Eventually, the time had come, a full-scale invasion was in progress."

"Is that when you left?"

"I wouldn't have hated myself as much if I had, but I didn't. You see, I was a special class of coward, I knew it wasn't right, every part of me knew that, I saw it all happen in front of my eyes but didn't act, even when I could do something about it," said Jake in disgust. "At that time, I thought it was what was supposed to happen and it didn't matter what my personal feelings about it were, this was my job, and I was nothing but a mindless soldier. They made us pillage banks, destroy houses, tear apart families... and I did it with such ease, I can't even... I never gave it a second thought."

"Why wouldn't you?"

"Because it was so easy to turn a blind eye to the harsh realities I was a part of. I didn't want to face the consequences of my actions, it was simpler to ignore them and just continue with what I was doing."

"Then how did all change?"

"Because of Sergio. I needed a cruel awakening from the slumber of indifference. Around a month had gone by since our invasion, I'd made sure to avoid venturing into where Sergio lived. I thought once it was done with, I'd forget about him, but that wasn't the case." Jake continued. "One day, I was deployed over to a side of the city that seemed familiar, but it was all ruined so extensively, barely recognizable. I was in charge of my squadron, we were supposed to ransack the houses, apparently, they were supposed to contain some important schematics for a weapon the Invians had been working on, or so we were told. This day was different, the people were different."

A dark shadow came upon Jake's features at this point as he stared intently into the fire.

"I stepped into one of the houses. I was what you would call a 'fixer' of situations. I went in intending to do just that which is when I saw whose house it was."

"Sergio." Harris understood.

"They had him restrained, tied down. As soon as our eyes met I realized everything I'd done, the transgressions I'd committed were all on me. Sergio understood I'd been in on it from the start and yet, he didn't utter a word, I was right in front of him but he just laid there, his eyes silently accusing." Jake stared fixedly into the fire as if reliving the scene over again. "But I knew why he was silent, it wasn't because of shock, it was fear. He wanted me to take him in without resistance so that we could be as far away from the house as possible. But it was too late, I'd given orders to sweep the entire place, and then... they found them."

"Who?" whispered Harris, Jake's eyes shifted from the fire to him.

"His wife and child," he said wretchedly. "I still can't believe it, how could I have forgotten about them? My squadron asked me what to do with them, I told them to turn back, that we'd had a mistake in our orders but it wasn't my day, the brigadier had arrived as well. He caught my lie but gave me a chance to redeem myself... He told me to kill them."

"My God," Harris exclaimed. "What happened?"

"In that one moment when I'd pointed my rifle at Sergio's son, I saw what Invio had been reduced to. This wasn't peace, and I turned on my supposed brothers in arms, and killed every one of them." Jake revealed. "But it wasn't soon enough, Sergio had been taken away already by the brigadier, he's in captivity. I released his wife and son, Adra and Salem. They'd been with me all this time, I promised to take them to safety. It's because of me they're in this mess in the first place, each Invian there is. It's my responsibility to drive these invaders out, I don't know how I'll do it but I don't intend to die before I do. Adra and Salem need to be safe, and I need to find them."

Jake ended his story and fell back on the ground. Harris recalled the utter destruction, the numerous bodies scattered in the desolate streets. The reason for the accursed city of Invio lay right beyond the fire. Jake was in pain, no doubt about that, but Harris had no reason to be sure of his repentance. If it hadn't been for his friendship with Sergio, he wouldn't have even batted an eye before killing his family. Jake had been right before, Harris wasn't sure if he wanted to carry on with him now.

"So tell me, what do you plan on doing from here, then?" he asked.

"I'm going to find Adra and Salem and take them to safety."

"How do you plan on doing that when you don't even know where they are?"

"What else can I do?"

"We know where Sergio is, you should look into rescuing him first."

"I don't know how I can get in that base undetected."

"I can help you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, but then I'm gone," Harris told him clearly, an image of a charred corpse of a young boy with a knife in hand flickered in his mind, he was almost certain the boy and his mother were no more, but there was no changing Jake's mind. It felt like a duty to help Sergio, the one whose only mistake had been to trust a friend.

"I get it," said Jake looking at Harris carefully, "You don't trust me, and you have a right not to."

"I know what you've done, but I don't know who you are. That's why I don't trust you. We should figure out a way to get out of here, but we'll worry about that in the morning."

"All right, get some rest. I'll take the watch."

"No, I'd rather I do the looking out... you get it, right?"

"Yeah... I do," Jake complied but Harris saw a flash of disdain in his features.

It wasn't what was outside he wanted to watch out for. Jake had entrusted his story to him all right, but there was no chance of Harris putting his trust in him, not just yet at least. The fire wavered in its place for the rest of the night but Harris's eyes never did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.2K 34
ᴇ ɴ ᴅ ᴜ ʀ ᴇ ; ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ᴏɴ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛꜱ. ʙʀɪᴇʟʟᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ. ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ, ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀɴꜱ ꜰᴏʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍ...
13.3K 467 26
she found solace in her silence. he found comfort in his anger. they were just two lost souls crashing, colliding, and melding into one. ✗ extended s...
64.2K 2.9K 16
A melancholic tale about losing one's self on the cusp of a betrayal
221 3 18
Set in a trailer park in a small town in the USA, there lives me. My mom, my sister, and my brother. Then, there is my father. What I am about to te...