A Gambling Man // Ryan x OC

Door undercoverbookworm1

Everybody knows the Dutton Family but none of them have made a name for themselves quite like the youngest, M... Meer

Prologue
Her life
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
2: Prologue
2: Her Life
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
3: Prologue
3: Her Life
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
4: Prologue
4: Her Life
35
36
37
38
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
5: Prologue
5: Her Life
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
A/N
59

39

3K 112 6
Door undercoverbookworm1

Mae took a deep breath as she stood in front of her clinic. Flashbacks of all the attacks and kidnappings kept flickering in her mind and she could feel her breathing quicken. She thought she was ready, she had to be ready. Charlie took Gator down to Texas with Evie so that they could meet each other's families. Mae knew the two needed this, they needed this break but that meant Mae had to go to the clinic. Charlie was hesitant because of everything that Mae went through but she assured her that she would be fine, she thought that she would be fine until right at this moment. This was the one place that she always felt safe in, the one place that she always felt in control but now it scared her to death. 

"You don't have to do this," Ryan told her from where he was standing next to her. He had to go into town to pick up some things for the bunkhouse and decided to tag along to drop her off at the clinic for her first day back. 

"No, I have to," Mae sighed, "Not only are the people of the valley counting on me, but Liam, Avery, and Cowboys paychecks also depend on this clinic. It's been closed enough already." 

"After everything you've been through nobody would blame you if you're not ready to go back yet," Ryan assured. 

"I have to do this now or I might never get the courage again," Mae explained as she stared up at the building that she poured her heart and soul into. 

"Well then if we're going to do this, then we're going to do this the right way," Ryan told her with a mischievous smirk on her face. 

"What do you mean?" Mae asked confused and Ryan grinned as he reached out and picked her up bridal style before walking to the clinic. 

"Isn't this for after the wedding?" Mae laughed at the wrangler. 

"Oh we'll get to that," Ryan assured and Mae's face became hot as he winked down at her. 

He opened the door and carried her into the clinic. 

"Surprise!" Mae laughed as she saw Liam, Avery, and Cowboy with cake, party hats, and streamers. Ryan put her down and she was immediately picked up into a hug by Liam. 

"I missed you! Never leave me again bitch," He squeezed her tighter and Mae hugged back just as tight, she missed him so much. 

"We want to greet her too!" Avery called out. 

"Wait your turn newbies," Liam called back and Mae laughed as she pulled back from him. 

"I missed you too." 

She then moved and greeted both Avery and Cowboy before walking over to the cake. It was a chocolate cake and on top were the words 'Welcome back Boss'. 

"I love it and I love all of you," she smiled at her co-workers. 

"We love you too." 

Mae smiled up at Ryan as he held out a piece of the cake for her to bite.

"It's really good," Mae mumbled with a mouth full of cake. 

"My Mama does make the best chocolate cake in the valley," Avery explained. 

"Now I know why Liam always looked forward to having dinner at your place," Mae chuckled. 

"I have to get back. We're doctoring cattle today," Ryan sighed as he kissed her head. 

"Stay safe," Mae told him. 

"You too, I love you."

"Love you too," Mae smiled as he pecked her lips before leaving the clinic. 

 "Alright now let's get to work," Mae clapped her hands, "What did I miss?"

xxx

Mae spent the entire day either busy with her patients, catching up with Liam, Avery, and Cowboy, or opening the pile of presents left in her office again. All of the clients were extremely happy to see Mae again and with every animal she helped, she could feel herself becoming more comfortable and somehow happier. She was doing what she was meant to do and it was all she needed. 

"Alright, are you ready to go?" Liam asked as he walked into her office at the end of the day. 

"Yeah. Do you have plans? I'm thinking of a good old-fashioned night out?" Mae asked. 

Liam grinned as he looked down at her, "I need a drink." 

"I need four." 

xxx

The two best friends found themselves in front of a large building with neon signs staring back at them. It's around ten at night and they've both had about six tequila shots and numerous beers. 

"Are you sure?" Liam asked as he looked at her. 

"Definitely," Mae smiled at him. 

"Just don't let it be something stupid like 'Live Laugh Love' or I will tease you until the day we die," Liam scoffed. 

Mae rolled her eyes before smirking up at him, "Are you going to make me do this alone?" 

"Hell no, I've got a collection to finish," Liam smirked as he pulled up his sleeve to show the numerous animated characters tattooed on his arm. They ranged from Winnie the Pooh to the Grim Reaper in Billy and Mandy. He started the collection when he turned sixteen and there are about twenty miniature cartoon characters wrapped around his bicep. The two linked hands and smirked as they rushed towards the building. 

"Marcel! Buddy! We need you!" 

A blue-haired man with numerous piercings and kind eyes smirked as he walked up to Liam and Mae. 

"Hi, Marcel," Mae waved at Liam's ex-boyfriend. It didn't end on bad terms, just rocky but over time the two became friends again. 

"Now this is unexpected. Never really thought I'd see you in here Maesie," Marcel grinned at her. 

"Surprise to you? I spat out my tequila shot when she told me her plan. Perfectly good tequila gone to waste," Liam scoffed. Mae and Marcel smirked at Liam's commentary. 

"Yeah well some things changed," Mae shrugged. 

"How can I help you two?" Marcel smiled, "I'm assuming you want to add the collection?"

"Always, I'm thinking we'll do HeiHei this time around," Liam grinned and Mae laughed. 

"Well lucky for you Jake is still here and finishing up with a client," Marcel pointed towards a bald man that's showing an old man the cross he did on his arm. 

"Perfect. Jake is the best at cartoonish tats," Liam informed Mae, "You'll be in great hands with Marcel." 

Liam waved at Marcel before walking over to greet Jake. 

"What can I help you with?" Marcel asked. 

"I want something covered but I want the tattoo to represent my family and our home but still make it unique to me. Does that make sense?" Mae asked. 

"Yeah it does but what exactly do you need covered?" Marcel asked. 

Mae sighed before reaching up and pulling her shirt down to show the scarred skin that spelled the word 'Roarke.' Marcel's eyes widened and his fists tightened at his sides. Liam told him everything that happened with Mae after a drunken phone call one night. He could feel the anger and sympathy for the girl rush into his heart again. 

"It would be my pleasure," he told her as he took her hand and led her over to a chair. He knew exactly what to do for her, it was actually something he had designed for her since he got to know her. After he showed the sketch and got the clear it was time to get work, 

Liam finished way before Mae and walked over to hold her hand. He encouraged her through it and promised to buy her chocolate ice cream afterward. Mae couldn't say that it didn't hurt, it hurt like hell but it was worth it. It was time that she moved on from him completely. 

"Thank you so much," Mae thanked Marcel as Liam helped her to sit upright and get off the chair. 

"Anytime," Marcel smiled as he kissed her cheek, "How about we all go get that ice cream?" 

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

309K 13.4K 51
"𝐋𝐞𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐰𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐀𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐨 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐇𝐲𝐮𝐧'𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟�...
62K 919 33
Lovers before the war, meet again and fall back in love but everything has changed since the last time they saw each other. How will they mend the ot...
72.9K 1.7K 28
AdaJane packed up what little she had from Texas to attend Veterinary School in Wyoming where she meets her soul sister, best friend, and college roo...
1.5M 27.1K 156
Fresh from a divorce from Plastic Surgeon Mark Sloan, Sky Rivers finds a new start at Seattle Grace Memorial Hospital. But the past eventually catche...