Blackbourne Investigations 02...

By 1Lisamurray

Sang's job hangs in the balance. She's beginning to know the team at Blackbourne Investigations. But do th... More

Foreword
Chapter 1 - Oy!
Chapter 1 cont. Skinny b*tches
Chapter 2 - Medical Lingo
Chapter 2 cont
Chapter 2 Completed
Chapter 3 - Inappropriate Lunchtime Conversations
Chapter 4 - Secret Meetings
Chapter 5 - Hello World
Chapter 6 - I Could Lick That
Chapter 7 - The Levels of Kissing
Prologue Details
Chapter 8 - It's Therapeutic
Chapter 9 - Jacqueline
~A~
Chapter 11 - Lipstick Application?
Chapter 12 - Was That A KNIFE?
Chapter 13 - Getting a little bit Closer
A/N
Chapter 14 - Grocery Shopping
Chapter 15 - Assault by Sticky-Tape
Chapter 16 - Black & White
Chapter 17 - Red Car, Blue Car, Yellow Car, New Car...
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 - Roses are Red
Chapter 20 - How to Hug
~A~ Report
Chapter 21 -
Author Note
Chapter 22 - Puzzle Pieces
Chapter 23 - Roses are Dead
Chapter 24 - 'Nuffin but Muffin
Chapter 25 -The Making of a Nurse
Chapter 26 -Taser this
Chapter 27 - ISAs Sexy Detectives
Chapter 28 - (Really 27b)
Chapter 29 -
~A~ Report
Chapter 30 - Delicious
Chapter 31 - Lunch to Munch
Chapter 32 - That's How We Roll
Chapter 33 - To Kill a Ladybug
Chapter 34 - Escape
Chapter 35 - And then...
~ A ~
Chapter 36 - A New Day
Chapter 37 - Baby Steps

Chapter 10 - I'm Confused

9.8K 613 179
By 1Lisamurray

This chapter is dedicated to TWINKLES! For all your support and encouragement. It's been unwavering from the very beginning. You've also been my sneaky sounding board, helping me clarify things. Thank you so much :D

Wattpad has been playing up on me, changing spacing and missing words. I have tried to fix it, but sorry if I've missed some.

I wrapped my arms around him, blinking away tears, "I just wish it didn't happen at all."

Kota's arms tightened imperceptibly around me at my words. I knew we were in the reception area and it wasn't professional of me to be standing here embracing Kota, but I needed the comfort he was providing. I wanted to return that same comfort to him. Maybe, this once, it was okay to be standing here like this.

I was beginning to realize the importance to a person's emotional wellbeing physical affection and touch could bring. The comfort of a hug, a hand to the shoulder, a finger traced over a cheek, they were beginning to bring a comfort and peace into my life I had never experienced.

The faint sound of the door closing jerked my head up. Kota didn't flinch, standing comfortable with our position.

I twisted my head around and stared aghast at the sight which greeted me. Mr.Blackbourne had entered the reception, flanked by his two bodyguards. All three maintained perfectly expressionless faces as they looked at us.

"Owen." Kota's voice in greeting was a rumble against my ear.

I gently tried to extract myself from Kota but his arms were unyielding.

"Mr. Blackbourne." I choked out, with a strained smile, discreetly trying to wiggle myself further from Kota.

He gave a muffled grunt and reluctantly let me go. I stepped slightly away and straightened my skirt.

There was a curious silence as I glanced up. Mr. Blackbourne's steel gray eyes were on my hands as I brushed away invisible lint.

I straightened and forced my hands to stay still.

"Sang. Kota." He nodded to us each in turn.

Kota broke the silence, his confident voice showing his complete ease with the situation, "Are you ready to discuss the case?"

Mr. Blackbourne gave a nod before heading down the hallway towards Kota's offices. Kota squeezed my shoulder before following, leaving me to face the two bodyguards stationed at the door.

Giving them a tense smile I began collecting the broken pieces of lamp into a pile before rummaging through the tearoom to find a box to transfer it into. I gazed uncertainly at the spray of blood decorating the wall. It wasn't pretty.

The phone on my desk began ringing, indicating an internal call. I leaned over the desk and plucked up the phone, holding it tentatively to my ear.

"Sang, I'm on my way out. I'll clean up that mess." Luke's voice was devoid of his underlying cheerfulness.

"Thanks Luke. I was happy to clean it, just not sure what would be best for...blood removal."

The crash of the phone into the receiver was my reply. Picking up the box with the broken lamp I carried it down to the tearoom. I tucked it beside the bin before hesitating.

There was something so wrong with Luke not being cheerful. It was his nature, even in his seriousness to have a ready twinkle in his eye or a cheeky remark. Yanking open the overhead cupboard I pulled out the herbal teas until I found his chocolate stash. Selecting a handful I returned the teas and made my way out to reception.

Luke was briskly wiping down the wall, removing any trace of the earlier fight.

"I put the pieces of the lamp in a box beside the bin. Is there anything else I can do?"

He gave the wall one last wipe before walking over to me. Chucking the cloth into a plastic bag he had left on my desk he leaned against the desk, looking down at me.

"You were perfect Sang. Thanks for helping with Jacqueline. Sometimes there is nothing you can do," he paused and ran his fingers through his hair, frustration obvious in his tone, "but you being able to help the way you did, it was what she needed."

"North said that it happened out of surveillance..." I trailed off, half wishing I hadn't started that line of conversation but wanting to understand more.

Luke nodded his head soberly. "We had surveillance up everywhere we could. It wasn't normal for them to attend a gathering like that. They usually entertained at their mansion where we had complete surveillance. Her husband is bad news Sang. Even to get what we had was a miracle. Maybe that's why he chose somewhere we couldn't follow. He knew we were watching at home." He grimaced.

I drew a chocolate across my desk into my hand, hoping for the right words, "Luke, he did it. Not you, not North, none of you. You did what you could. When you saw what happened, you acted. That's more than those other people who watched can say." I glared off into space at the memory. I was sure there was a special place in hell with their names engraved.

I absent-mindedly passed Luke the chocolate. Somehow he was training me into thinking chocolate could help with anything.

He unwrapped it and tossed the wrapper into the bin, holding it at my lips for me to eat.

I pulled back slightly, "That was for you!"

He shook his head, a tiny twinkle beginning to appear back into his eye, "Uh-uh. Ladies first."

I rolled my eyes and opened my mouth. He slowly pushed it past my lips, the tips of his fingertips brushing my lips. I bit into it slowly, giving him a contented smile before passing him another chocolate.

A gleam of devilishness appeared in his eye as he unwrapped it, picked up my hand and placed it in onto my fingertips. I instinctively tightened my fingers around it as it started to roll off. He snagged my wrist and pulled my fingers to his lips. "Your turn," he murmured.

Glancing around the reception at the bodyguards I quickly pushed it past his lips and pulled my hand back.

"There you go." I leaned back into my chair. Trying to establish some distance.

He gave a chuckle before plucking another chocolate off my desk and heading down the hall again.

"So, I'm confused."

I jerked my head up as one of the bodyguards spoke.

"Which one of them are you dating?"

I sat back shocked. He thought I was dating one of them? I began shaking my head. "I... It wasn't what it looked like." My mind was racing over what they had seen today. Kota hugging me then Luke and I feeding each other chocolate. I felt a wave of despair wash over me at the thought of Luke or Kota ever being able to think of me in that way. I was so beneath them. It would be a dream.

"I... I don't date." I pushed out before ducking my head down and furiously typing.

I heard a grunt from across the room with a muttered "Yet."

Leaping to my feet I looked across at them both. "I'm just grabbing a hot drink, can I get any of you anything?"

They shook their heads and returned to their expressionless stance. Giving them a sideways glance I scurried out of the room.

Bursting into the tearoom I fanned my face, glad to have some space. How could he just ask a question like that? Was what Luke and I doing...flirting? was I staring at Luke when they watched? Or when I had my arms wrapped around Kota. Did they think I was...was...coming onto my boss? I didn't even want to think about Nathan or Luke staying over the night.

I pulled out my pink coffee mug and began to make myself a coffee. Sometimes you just needed something with a bit more kick. I stirred it quickly, trying to decipher the hidden meaning behind everyone's touches.

This is where my stunted upbringing was showcased. I was missing what must be obvious social cues and possibly sending mixed messages.

The door softly closed behind someone as they stepped into the room. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping it wasn't Gabriel who seemed to read me like a book. I reluctantly turned around to see Mr. Blackbourne casually standing there. He gave me a millimetre smile before opening the cupboard and selecting the white mug.

I stood awkwardly, mindlessly stirring my coffee as I searched for polite conversation. My stomach clenched inside me at the sheer perfection of his presence so close to me.

"How are you finding your job here Miss. Sorenson?"

I stopped my stirring. Was this a loaded question?

"Kota has said how much they all appreciate your work."

I relaxed a fraction at his words. Hopefully he was just making conversation too.

"I've really enjoyed it so far. It is a wonderful place to work." I placed my spoon to the side and picked up my mug, sipping it.

"They mentioned how much help you've been this morning with Jacqueline. I want to personally thank you for what you did. Zane, and by association Jacqueline, are close to us and we try to look after our own. To have you step in and help was appreciated."

I shook my head dismissively, "I was just glad I could help." The memory of her situation chilled me and I rubbed my arm absently.

Picking up his freshly made coffee he gestured towards the table. I gingerly sat down and watched him ease into the seat opposite me. What did he want from me? Would this be a chance to apologise for the way we originally met? Maybe this was how he was going to fire me. He had found me alone and was taking the time to talk to me.

I nervously sipped my coffee again, wrapping my fingers around the mug, the feeling of warmth grounding me slightly.

"I... I want to apologise for how we originally met. When I knocked you over and, er" I chewed nervously on my lip, "everything. I wasn't paying enough attention and I am so sorry. I've wanted to..."

He halted my apology with an abrupt hand gesture. "Don't think of it again Sang."

I fidgeted nervously before blurting out, "Well thank you so much Mr. Blackbourne. I was absolutely horrified by it and I really appreciate you being so understanding."

He shook his head dismissively. "Call me Owen. You're new to Charleston. Have you had much of a chance to see the sights?"

My stomach dropped into a pit. I couldn't call him Owen. He exuded wealth and privilege. His very presence showed a fineness so far removed from my life that I could never see anyway they could cross. I didn't understand why he was here making conversation with me.

"A friend showed me around a little on the weekend. We saw the town library and some of the older houses." I bite off the rest of the comment about the inside of the police station. "I haven't had much of a chance to look around. I was more focused on finding work and settling in. Hopefully I can work on that now on the weekends though."

He nodded his head in acknowledgement of my words. His gaze unwavering on my face. I felt like he could read my every thought, his cool eyes constantly assessing me.

"Sang, would you give me the honour of accompanying me to dinner this Friday?"

I drew back slightly, confusion filling me. Did he just say what I thought he said? Was he asking me out to dinner? Was this like a date or some kind of work obligation?

"I'm sorry but I don't date." A blush flaming my cheeks at my words. What if it was purely work he was asking me to dinner for?

He remained unmoving for a moment, "A shame. Well the offer is there, you've got my number." He stood up and placed his coffee mug on the sink.

"Until next time Sang." With a tip of his head he walked out.

I sat stunned, looking at the door that closed behind his perfection. What had just happened?

I walked to the sink and tipped my coffee out. Apparently an afternoon coffee hadn't given me the clarity I was seeking.

I walked out to reception in auto pilot and sat at my desk, mindlessly going through my tasks. When had option of dating entered my life? I couldn't date.

Dating created unnecessary and dangerous ties to a place. Loose ends. I didn't even want to think of how he would react if he saw that I had found someone special. Let alone where I worked, that could compromise my job.

~~~

I shut down my computer for the day and flicked on the answering machine. I didn't know if I was going home alone tonight or if someone was coming. I wanted to ask if they had a chance to change the locks but after the day we'd had, I didn't want to be a bother to anyone.

Pressing the control room extension I picked up my phone, listening to the ring as I waited for someone to pickup.

Silas answered. "Sang? Are you finished for the day?"

"Yes, just tidying up my desk. I was just wondering if Jacqueline was alright at the moment. Zane hasn't come out yet and I was hoping to say good night before I left."

There was a pause on the other end.

"You're fine to go through. I'll buzz it open when you get there. Pop down to see me after that."

I smiled at his words. "Will do. Thanks Silas."

I set the phone back and headed to the saferoom, tapping the buzzer lightly and hearing the door immediately click open.

I tentatively entered the room, unsure of what would greet me.

Zane and Jacqueline were both sitting on the couch, a DVD on. Jacqueline was watching the screen intently while Zane had his gaze trained on her, his eyes unseeing. He turned his head and looked at me. Giving me a tight smile.

"Just popping in to say goodnight" I whispered, unwilling to disturb them when they both looked so settled.

He nodded and looked across to Jacqueline. She hadn't moved from her curled up position.

He gently touched her shoulder, getting her attention. She looked around enquiringly.

I stepped closer, feeling uncertain with Zane in the room. "I'm heading home for the night. Just wanted to pop in and say goodnight. Is there anything you need or would like me to organize before I go?"

She shook her head and slowly got to her feet. I bridged the gap as she leant towards me and wrapped her arms around me. Giving me a squeeze she whispered, "Thank you Sang. I'm alright now. Have a good night."

The sensation of being hugged by another woman was so different from a man. There was the absence of the hard body and the inherent strength you felt from a man. Instead there was the softness of emotion and companionship. Was this what a mother's hug felt like?

"I'll pop in tomorrow morning as soon as I get in. I might grab a muffin on the way in. Do you have any preference?"

She shook her head with a small smile.

"Goodnight."

She returned to the couch, me hovering awkwardly behind her still unsure of

her moving without assistance. Her every movement showed her discomfort.

I waved goodbye and walked to the door, pressing the buzzer to leave the room.

Zane appeared silently beside me. His handsome face looked strained and tired, a slight swelling in his cheek and nose from his earlier tussle with North.

"I want to thank you Sang. Jackie told me how you helped her today. I can't thank you enough. I owe you one. If you ever need anything, give me a call."

I smiled nervously. I had seen how gentle he was with Jacqueline but I didn't feel as comfortable with him as I did with the others.

"No problem."

The door clicked open and I slipped through, shutting it behind me and heading to the control room.

I knocked a three-two-one knock on the door waited as it slid open. Silas spun around in his chair and waved me over before turning back to the monitors.

I wandered over and looked at the screens, there was a new array of camera angles I hadn't seen before. I wondered how many jobs they signified and what they could potentially mean.

Silas snagged my waist and pulled me into his lap, wrapping his arms around me.

I was torn between wanting to settle into his arms and the fear of sending him the wrong messages. Was this telling him something about me?

In the dark of the room I relaxed against him, secure that no one would walk in unannounced.

"It's been a big day," I said with a sigh.

"Mmm..."

I snuggled closer and closed my eyes, drawing comfort and strength from his strong arms around me.

"I need to go home..." I grumbled. Unwilling to move. "I don't know what to do. Am I okay to go by myself now? It's all too much. We should just sleep in our chairs to save the trip."

The movement of his chest against my head alerted me to his amusement. I opened my eyes and glared at him. "Tell me you feel like moving right now?" I asked.

He chuckled again. "You've got me Sang. I don't feel like moving a millimetre."

"I knew it!" I sunk back against him. "I need to get going though."

I felt his arm move across the desk before returning around me.

"How was your day today? After this morning." I hoped he hadn't been beating himself up like North and Luke obviously had.

He rolled the chair slightly sideways along the desk. "I've had better days but it hasn't turned out too badly."

I nodded tiredly. "That's good. Did you want anything before I head home? Another coffee? A snack?"

He shook his head, running his hands lightly up my back before trailing back down again.

I felt my body relax by infinite degrees. I had to move. I didn't want to move ever again.

A hard knock sounded randomly on the door. I jerked up and look at the screen outside the door. Luke was standing casually outside the door.

Silas pulled me back to him, "Luke is taking you home tonight. I'm sorry I couldn't Sang. I'm not getting out of here until late."

I reluctantly slid off his lap. "Probably a good thing. You should make sure you get a good sleep tonight." I hit the button to open the door and picked up my handbag I had dropped to the ground on entering.

"Night Silas" I called over my shoulder as I walked to Luke.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44K 2.5K 21
NOTE: I'm editing this story now! Not planning on changing any content. I'm just fixing typos, punctuation, grammar, etc. If you see any errors (incl...
370K 19.9K 35
Sang has been haunted her whole life by a sick boy with an obsession. Tired of being on the run she settles at Charleston to see if her fortune has...
66.3K 4.5K 18
Sang loved her boys, she thought they loved her back. The Blackbourne Team has received a new mission worth enough favors to pull them completely out...
96.5K 5.4K 50
Sang Sorenson has everything going for her. She's been accepted into the Academy, she's working off her debts, and her plan with the guys is still go...