Sweet Love (NG5)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't li... More

Sweet Love
1 - No Hailey
2 - Virginia
3 - Family
4 - Home
6 - The best two
7 - Nick
8 - Duty
9 - Spring break
10 - Rumors
11 - Kitty Kat
12 - Pops
13 - The Point
14 - Her dream
15 - Blacklisted
16 - Maine
17 - Retired
18 - The same
19 - New boss
20 - Change
21 - Secrets
22 - New
23 - Double agent
24 - The man
25 - Offense
26 - Limited
27 - Vacation
28 - Friends
29 - Chef to chef
30 - Womb mate
31 - Just friends
32 - Happiness
33 - Again
34 - Self centered
35 - For good
36 - Merry Christmas
37 - Tickets
38 - No secrets
39 - BFF
40 - Number four
41 - Tequila
42 - Chef
43 - Break
44 - Now
45 - Love
46 - Timing
47 - Yelp
48 - Venti
49 - Helpless
50 - Team
51 - Blah, blah, blah
52 - Commencement
53 - Favor
54 - After all
55 - Everyone
56 - Can't
57 - March

5 - Secret

628 135 24
By pseudoannie

When Will came out of the bedroom on Sunday morning, Lana looked him over. "You weren't out late."

He shook his head. "Blame it on the sperm."

"Excuse me?" Lana laughed.

Ryan shrugged. "Don't look at me. Mine are trapped with no exit."

Will glared. "Seriously, dude."

Ryan smiled. "You started it."

"Apparently Cole's into clean living so he needs a regular sleep schedule."

Lana laughed. "Poor Anna."

Ryan said, "Poor kids if he ever figures it out. I never had those problems."

Lana rubbed his back. "That's why you got the snip." Her fingers looked like scissors as Will winced. His genitals were too precious.

He looked around. "Where are the kids?"

"Maddie let them sleep over last night. Do you want to run with us?"

"Yeah. Definitely. Afterwards, can I talk to you about something?"

Lana put her hands on her hips. "You aren't staying?"

"No. I am. It's something else." Not completely, but something else.

The couple looked at each other as he worried about secrets. A knock on the door broke their gaze.

"Hurry. Jack doesn't wait."

Will pulled off his flannel pants and pulled on joggers and a performance fleece pullover. It took him a minute to tie his laces as he remembered Charlotte's request.

Jack smiled. "I told him you would have caught up to the old guys."

Will laughed, because their pace was slower than he was used to. He could run some sprints later. Listening to the brothers' banter was fun. Their run ended with a stop for coffee, but Rick wasn't behind the counter. Jack explained he had Sunday's off. Afterwards Jack went one way, and they went the other.

Lana groaned over her first sip, and then she looked at Will. "What's going on?"

"First it's a secret, and I mean the kind you don't tell Maddie."

Lana blushed and nodded.

Will glared. "Do you promise?"

Both repeated, "Promise."

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Rick's retiring."

Lana sighed. "There are rumors."

"He wants to sell The Landing."

Ryan shook his head. "That's not what we heard."

"He told me and Alex confirmed it. It would be an excellent investment."

Ryan looked at him wide-eyed. "You have a career."

"If Rick kept it, he would hire a manager to run it, and if he sold it to a stranger, they could turn it into something different. If I bought it, a manager could run it, but I would save the coffee and lobster rolls and coffeehouses." He looked directly at his sister. "I could keep my ownership silent, but make sure it doesn't change."

"Why silent?" Ryan looked serious.

"Lots of reasons. I don't want fans invading The Point."

Lana laughed. "More likely you would lose customers because you play for Buffalo."

"I want to be one of the family when I'm here and not the guy who saved the coffee."

Lana laughed. Ryan said, "You wouldn't tell anyone?"

"Rick would know. Maybe Alex, but no one else. This place can't keep secrets. Rick thinks no one knows about his plans."

"You really want to do this?" Lana looked him in the eye.

"It feels right."

"I'll help with the financing." Ryan nodded.

"What do you think it's worth?"

"Honestly, I don't know. A million, plus."

"No wonder Rick wants to sell. He and Alice will be secure." Lana sighed. "Where will they go? It's their home."

"They bought a cottage. Alex is fixing it up."

Ryan smiled. "He'll probably sit up there drinking coffee every day."

"That thought is weird. If you don't buy it, maybe Oliver will." Will shook his head. The chef would change it. Lana picked up her coat. "I'm going to visit Mari before we leave."

"Don't mention Cole's sperm. I'm not sure who knows."

Lana laughed. "Go save Maddie and your brother."

Will had sprints to run, before he decided on his future. Running as fast as he could for ten yards and back the same ten kept him conditioned. His goal was to return to the team more fit and ready than the year before. In the morning, he would go to the gym.

When he finished showering, he looked out at a grinding sound. He heard Ryan and John Harris talking.

"I started her up last week and drove up to town."

"Let's try to jump it." Ryan sighed.

"No, it's just clicking. My guess is the starter. I bet Frank can help me with it."

Will stood in the driveway watching the exchange. Ryan tilted his head. "Who is Frank?"

"He lobsters out of the marina. He's always fixing the boats."

"But this is a car."

John shrugged. "He's very mechanical, and he owes me a favor."

"For what?" Will stepped forward. His curiosity had peaked.

"I helped his daughter with her college essay. She got into Bowdoin with a great scholarship. His wife works for the school to get health insurance."

"You know everyone."

"I like to talk. Did you hear Rick is retiring?"

Ryan nodded. "I heard a rumor. What do you think he'll do?"

John shrugged. "It'll be an enormous loss to the community if it becomes something else."

"Yeah. What would you do every morning?"

John sighed. "Drive your mother crazy."

Both men laughed. Will cleared his throat. "I can rent a car if you want to put off fixing her."

John shook his head. "It shouldn't be a problem."

Ryan nodded. "Remember, only take her local. Don't go driving to visit your parents."

Will shook his head. "I'd be scared it would fall apart on the highway."

"It's not that bad of a car. They don't make them like they used to. Toyotas are made to last."

Ryan nodded. "Let me know. What I owe you."

Will cleared his throat. "I'll pay for it. It's the least I can do."

"How long are you staying?" John brushed his hands off and closed the lid.

"I'm not sure. Maybe through July."

"Did you pack enough?" Ryan looked at him sideways.

"I'll probably fly back to do some commercials." His part-time assistant, Kerry, handled the tedious aspects of sponsorships and his schedule. She waded through his fan mail. In addition, she checked in on his house since, well since he lived alone. Maybe she could help run a coffee shop and general store.

Will told John about his interest in a condo. "We love it, even if we are across the causeway."

He looked at his watch. "I have an appointment to see it. I guess I'll walk."

John stepped forward. "I'm heading home to change my clothes."

He had on old clothes which were not the retired professor's normal attire, corduroys in the cold weather and shorts in the summer. At least he didn't wear socks with his sandals.

"Thanks." Will smiled.

"Maddie's having an early dinner before our flight." Ryan looked around as if he hated to leave.

Leaving The Point was never easy. As a kid, Will couldn't spend the entire summer frolicking at the beach because both of his parents worked. Instead, they left late on Sunday evening to avoid traffic. It was hard to spend the week at day camp while his friends were splashing in the waves.

Will followed John and climbed in his Subaru. Turning to him, Will asked, "Do you think he'll sell it?"

"It's his right, but it'll be a sad day."

After a meal with his family and lots of hugs goodbye. Will walked over to Sandpiper and knocked on Alex's door. It was common knowledge that Rick visited with his grandkids on his day off.

Jen answered with a smile. "Will. How's your knee?"

"Fine." He rolled his eyes. "Is Rick here?"

She nodded. "We're going to eat soon, are you hungry?"

"No, Maddie just fed us. The gang just left for the airport."

She frowned. "I missed them. I bet the kids are getting big."

"Yup." He looked around. "Yours are too."

Rick stood and walked over. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Can we talk?"

Nobody moved, and Will sighed. "Are you really going to sell your business?"

Rick frowned. "It's time."

"But what about having a manager run it?"

"It's still a hassle."

"Not if they're good."

"But people quit and then I'm stuck."

Will hadn't thought about that. "I might be crazy, but I'll do it."

"What?"

"Buy you out. I would hate it if my sister couldn't get her coffee and if John couldn't spend his mornings talking to everyone who walks through the door."

"But you play football half the year."

"I don't want to run it. In fact, I would prefer no one knows it's me. Only seven people will ever know."

Alex laughed. "This is The Point."

"Lana promised not to tell Maddie which means you can't tell the Brenners."

"If Kristi got wind of it, everyone would know." Jen smiled.

"Why the secret?" Rick asked.

"I don't want to make it a tourist destination for Buffalo fans. My home here is not public knowledge."

"For privacy?"

"Exactly. If you have another buyer willing to keep it the same, then go for it."

Rick shook his head. "A guy was interested in a full-service restaurant."

"We can't let that happen. I can't let it."

"There would be a lot to work out." Rick nodded.

"I'm staying awhile. I put an offer in for a condo."

"I guess you can't live in the apartment if you're anonymous."

"Could you help hire and train the manager?"

Rick nodded. "I hated to see it go. I feel relieved already."

Will needed a lawyer, but not one who lived on The Point.

He's doing it. Please vote ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.1K 3.8K 45
#3 - not a cliché Kathanya has always dreamed of becoming a professional dancer, to cheer on the sideline in front of a full stadium coming to suppo...
789 33 51
WARNING!!! CONTAINS ADULT THEMES THAT MAY BE TRIGGERING! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING!! 18++++++ New town... New school... The po...
4.2K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
9.2K 377 34
●COMPLETED● Fan of erotic and heated love scenes? Well, you've come to the right place. No under 18s allowed🚫. The funny thing about love, is that...