Lover Be | The Originals

By MicrowaveablePopcorn

A pianist moves to New Orleans looking for a change. She becomes intertwined in the lives of the enigmatic Mi... More

Chapter One | Moonlight Over New Orleans
Chapter Two | Death on Bourbon Street
Chapter Three | Sweet Conversation
Chapter Four | Blót
Chapter Five | Sweet Beginnings
Chapter Six | Bookstore Encounter
Chapter Seven | Of Crushes and Confidantes
Chapter Eight | A Walk in the Snow
Chapter Ten | Revelations
Chapter Eleven | Layers
Chapter Twelve | The Warning
Chapter Thirteen | First Date
Chapter Fourteen | Mother's Pearls
Chapter Fifteen | Failed Escape
Chapter Sixteen | Forget What You Think You Know
Chapter Seventeen | Strange Behaviors
Chapter Eighteen | Lapse
Chapter Nineteen | Matrimony
Chapter Twenty | Accusations
Chapter Twenty-One | Get Away
Chapter Twenty-Two | Honesty
Chapter Twenty-Three | Bronze Blade
Chapter Twenty-Four | Keep the Peace
Chapter Twenty-Five | Suggestion
Chapter Twenty-Six | Loss of a Witch
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Shadows of the Past
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Funeral
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Torture
Chapter Thirty | Vengence
Chapter Thirty-One | It's a Trap
Chapter Thirty-Two | Heroics
Chapter Thirty-Three | Doorway Threshold
Chapter Thirty-Four | The Monster
Chapter Thirty-Five | Donnie
Chapter Thirty-Six | Change of Scenery
Chapter Thirty-Seven | No Shots
Chapter Thirty-Eight | An Attack
Chapter Thirty-Nine | Bekah's Back
Chapter Forty | Kala
Chapter Forty-One | Red Herring
Chapter Forty-Two | Different
Chapter Forty-Three | The First Coven
Chapter Forty-Four | Return
Chapter Forty-Five | Time Passed
Chapter Forty-Six | The Bayou
Chapter Forty-Seven | The Last Stand
Chapter Forty-Seven | The End of All Things

Chapter Nine | The Right Key

1.1K 19 0
By MicrowaveablePopcorn

CW: mention of suicide

"Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke

Four loud bangs on the door brought Malia up from her midday nap with a start. She sat up, brushing her ratted hair to the side as she tried to recalibrate what time, day, and century it was. Her thoughts are interrupted by another four loud hits and the familiar voice of the overzealous manager from the cafe downstairs.

"Come on, open up! I brought beignets and coffee," Nelle sing-song'd.

Malia wiped the sleep from her eyes and hurried to the door. On the other side was her friend and two new faces.

"This is Birdy," Nelle began to push her way in, thrusting the beignets and coffee into Malia's hands are she passed. "My incredibly gorgeous partner."

Birdy smiled and gave a slight nod in greeting.

"And this," Nelle points to the girl next to Birdy. "Is Ellie. Ellie, Malia. Malia, Ellie. I figured the two new girls simply must be introduced."

"Hi," Ellie gave a slight wave.

"It's so nice that you've all come while I'm looking my best," Malia threw a playful glare toward Nelle and pressed down her ratty hair a bit more.

"It's 6 in the evening, Malia," Nelle responded without missing a beat. "Why are you even asleep right now?"

Malia sighs and takes a big drink of coffee.

"These late-night gigs have me on the weirdest schedule. I'm just constantly tired."

"That sucks," Nelle throws herself on the couch and props her feet up on the coffee table. "Do you have one tonight?"

"In a couple of hours. Let me go shower and get ready. Birdy, Ellie, make yourselves at home," Malia threw out her arms in a gesture across her loft apartment before making her exit.

-

"How'd you end up in New Orleans, Ellie?" Malia asks as the group starts walking to the club for her performance.

"I'm working in the area. My boss tells me to jump, I ask how high. I have, like, no work-life balance," Ellie groans. "You?"

"Full disclosure? It's a bit of a sob story. My sister died and I needed a change. So here I am."

"Shit Malia," Nelle gasps. "I'm so sorry. How did it happen? If you don't mind me asking."

"No, no," Malia took in a shaky breath. "Um, suicide."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry M," Nelle sets her hand on her friend's shoulder.

"That's really awful, Malia," Ellie adds.

Malia is thankful when they finally arrive at the club.

"I've got to set up," she says, leading them to a table. "Grab some drinks, stay as long as you'd like."

It was a solo gig tonight, so Malia got to play whatever she was feeling. Given the dark turn that the conversation had taken earlier, she wasn't feeling the happy tunes. About an hour and a half into the performance, she saw her friends wave goodbye as they headed out for the evening.

She was lost in a melancholy tune of the song she was playing when Klaus walked in for the evening. A few minutes passed and she almost stumbled notes when she caught sight of him out of the corner of her eye. She turned to him and sent him a smile, which he returned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 28 19
Kidnapped. Tortured. Love. Hatred. Revenge. ~New Orleans~ *DISCLAIMER* This book wasn't made to be exactly like The Originals. I didn't follow the Ma...
208K 5.4K 35
In which the angel moves to New Orleans, trying to move on from her former love. ►►► [seasons 2 & 3 of the originals] [book 2 of the ariel summers s...
860K 22.9K 38
Klaus Mikaelson doesn't believe his is worthy of redemption. However when he crosses paths with the enchanting Serena Foster he begins to question hi...
1.2K 27 10
More than one therapist has told me that letting go of the past would do wonders for my mental health. My refusal to accept what has happened has lef...