Auburn RWBY (RWBY x Male OC...

By AzureEclipse09

On hold until Volume 10. Son of Miguel (L/N) and wielder of the Silver Eyes, Azure (L/N) is a young man who d... More

Bio
Meeting the Rose
Shining Beacon
Initiation
A Badge and A Burden
In the Forever Falls
Stray Cat and Lone Wolf
Black and White (Volume 1 Finale)
Best Day Ever
Investigation
Dance Dance Infiltration
Search and Destroy
Breach at Vale (Volume 2 Finale)
Round One, Challengers!
Brawl in the Family
Fall
Battle of Beacon
End of the Beginning (Volume 3 Finale)
The Next Step
Friends and Family
Tipping Point
A Much Needed Talk
No Safe Haven (Volume 4 Finale)
Welcome to Haven
Lighting the Fire
Reunions and Rest
Calm Before the Storm
Battle of Haven (Volume 5 Finale)
Special Chapter: Ruby's Birthday
Argus Limited
Alone in the Woods
A Dead End
The Lady in the Shoe
Our Way (Volume 6 Finale)
Special Chapter: Azure's Book
Team AVRN Volume 7
The Greatest Kingdom
Pomp and Circumstance
A Night Off
Cordially Invited
Out in the Open
The Enemy of Trust (Volume 7 Finale)
Divided Teams
Faults
Our Message
Taking a Risk
The Final Word (Volume 8 Finale)
Strange New World
In the Ever After
Checkmate
The Cat and the Herbalist
Unexpected Arrivals
Confessions
Trouble
Reawakening (Volume 9 Finale)
*Important Discussion*
AVRN Chibi - Azure
AVRN Chibi - Vert
AVRN Chibi - Rosa
AVRN Chibi - Nero
AVRN Chibi - Team AVRN
AVRN Chibi - Extras (Finale)

In the Dark

135 4 1
By AzureEclipse09

Welp, here is the next chapter. Last time, Ruby and Azure's message gets uploaded to the world, Yang and the others set off to rescue Oscar, and Penny crash lands in the Schnee manor walkway, injured. With that, let's get into the belly of the beast.
————————————
*3rd Person POV*

Nora opens her eyes. Her vision is blurred. She blinks a few more times before opening to see her arm covered in burn scars and a bed.

Klein: "No need to worry, miss. You and your friend are going to be just fine."

Klein glances down with friendly brown eyes after adjusting some medical tubes. Nora's vision turns to the sound of a door being opened. Blake is opening a door for Azure, Ruby, and Whitley, who are carrying an unconscious Penny.

Blake: "She lost consciousness. And she's... leaking."

Klein: "Set her down, set her down."

Azure, Ruby and Whitley set Penny on a bed next to Nora's. Whitley is shown grimacing at the green coolant that stains his clothes. Ruby and Azure do the same as well.

Ruby: "Can you help her?"

Klein scans Penny with his scroll, which locates an injury at her waist. His eyes are red as he assesses the damage.

Klein: "Even based on what you've told me, I hardly know what she is." He coughs, and his eyes turn from red to brown.

Klein: "Ahem, but, her basic anatomy seems similar enough. I can at least stitch up that wound."

A thundery crash sounds from outside. Everyone present glances in that direction. The power suddenly goes out.

Whitley: "Oh, that's just rich."

Ruby takes out her ringing scroll. May's voice comes through.

May: (Scroll) "Everyone okay back there? Just saw another bombing run light up the kingdom."

Ruby glances out the window.

Ruby: "Looks like part of the city lost power. We're okay though."

May: (Scroll) "Sorry I couldn't stick around, but time's running out for everyone in the crater."

Ruby: "No, we're sorry. Once we know what's wrong with Penny, we'll... we'll do something."

May: (Scroll) "Don't beat yourself up, kid. At this point I don't know how much is left to be done."

As May ends the call, Ruby starts to tear up.

Ruby: "It's all just... too much. The Grimm, the crater, Nora, Penny... How do we fix all of it?"

Weiss puts a reassuring hand on Ruby's shoulder as Klein sneezes, his eyes light blue.

Klein: "One step at a time, my dear."

He sneezes again, his eyes returning to brown.

Klein: "You can't worry about fixing everything. Simply focus on what's in front of you. If you'd like some place to start, I'd be able to work faster if you could bring the power back on."

Ruby: "Well, how would we-"

Willow: "We have a generator near the edge of the estate."

Everyone looks at Willow, who is leaning on the doorframe, a bottle of alcohol in hand. Whitley huffs, crossing his arms.

Whitley: "So kind of you to join us, mother."

Willow: "Believe it or not, I am above drinking in the dark." She then notices Klein with them.

Willow: "Oh, hello, Klein."

Klein gives his former employer a silent nod.

Weiss: "SDC executives have their own auxiliary power supplies in case of a city-wide blackout. It's extremely unfair, but perhaps now isn't such a bad time for company perks."

Whitley glances out the window and seems to come to an epiphany.

Whitley: "We don't just have perks."

Weiss: "Hm?"

Whitley: "We have the company. The people you mentioned in the crater, they need a way out, right? There are rows and rows of cargo ships just sitting in the hangars because of the embargo."

Weiss: "And our own automated drones, like the ones at Snow Shoe Shipping."

Whitley: "We can order as many as we need to pilot our ships down to the crater and get people to safety, while the Grimm are occupied with the general's forces."

Blake: "We can?"

Whitley: "I can. I just need father's computer."

Ruby: "Then we definitely need to get the power back on."

Nero: "Sounds like a plan."

Azure: "Let's get to that generator."

*1st Person POV*

Blake, Ruby and I sprint to the power shed outside Schnee Manor and pushed open the gates. Ruby throws a lever on the backup generator, and it hums to life. The words 'STARTUP SEQUENCE - POWER BACKUP' can be seen on its main display.

Ruby: "Oh, come on, come on."

Blake: "Don't worry. It'll work."

Ruby: "Nothing else has."

Blake: "I know you don't always know what to do, but that's never stopped you from doing something. I was like that as a girl, but time and... a lot of other things, took their toll on me. Then I wasn't sure if that kind of girl could actually survive in the world... until I met you. It was a little strange at first because you were younger, but I've always looked up to you, Ruby. And I still do."

Azure: "The same can be said for me. I know what kind of person you are. You're the selfless, headstrong, and determined girl that I first met two years ago. Things may have changed around you, but you still continue to do things for the betterment of those around you. It may not sound much, but I care about you. And I love you for being just yourself."

Ruby tears up again, and seems to be reassured by our words.

Ruby: "Thanks, Blake, Azure."

The generator finally reached operational capacity, and power is restored to Schnee Manor. Blake looked satisfied at a job well done, but her ears drooped, and her expression turns to one of shock. I turn to look at where she was looking and I was shocked as well. Ruby looked at us in confusion.

Ruby: "What?"

We saw a silhouette of a Grimm in front of a flash of lightning through a window behind Ruby. I moved Ruby out of the way before the Grimm broke through the window and smacked me away. I drew my swords out and lunged at the Hound Grimm, but it swipes a claw at me, which I block, but it sends me towards a wall. I crashed though, creating a hole. Blake grabbed her Scroll and called Weiss.

Blake: "Weiss! There's a Grimm that- Look out!"

Ruby was then thrown through the hole in the wall of the power shed, landing next to me. The Hound roared menacingly at her. Blake tried to land a blow, but her strike is deflected. The Hound lunges forward, and Ruby and I avoid it using our Semblances.

Ruby: "What is this thing?!"

Blake: "It's just a Grimm. Just focus." She fires at the Hound as I see Ruby take a deep breath in preparation to use her Silver Eyes. Blake leaps off a wall to attack, but is knocked aside. I use Lightning on the Hound, but it didn't hurt the Grimm a lot.

The Hound: "Take the girl."

I was shocked when it spoke that the Hound used the opportunity to charge ahead, pinning Ruby to the ground. Her Aura shimmered weakly. Blake gets back onto her feet and I snap out of my shock.

Blake: "Ruby!"

With a roar, the Hound sprouts newly formed wings from its back. It begins to take off, Ruby in tow, but Blake managed to get her weapon around one of its feet, and stabs her sheath into the ground to tether it. I run straight to the Hound, focusing my glare.

Azure: "Get back here!!!"

My eyes shine silver as it hurts the Hound, making it drop Ruby and fall down. I dashed forward and catch Ruby in mid-air, landing softly on the ground. Weiss made it to the shed and launches a barrage of icy projectiles at the Hound, but it dodges. She stabs her rapier into the ground, using her Semblance to call forth a Giant Nevermore, but it is destroyed mid-summon as Centinels join the fray. Blake is momentarily distracted as a Centinel tries to attack her, but she takes care of it easily.

The Hound notices the distant green glow of Penny's Maiden powers from the manor, and I look at the green coolant staining my and Ruby's clothes.

Azure: "It's not here for Ruby... it's here for Penny!"

The Hound changes targets and takes off for the manor. Blake destroyed the last Centinel, then turns to Weiss.

Blake: "Help the others, we've got this."

Weiss casts one last worried look at Ruby, who was unconscious in my arms, then heads to the manor herself. Five Centinels appeared in front of me and I laid Ruby down behind me on the ground as my eyes glow golden. Blake crosses the yard to help me, but another Grimm emerges from the ground, barring her path. A Cenitaur drags itself into view and screeches, its body churning with bright green acid.

*Back to 3rd Person*

Back in the manor, Penny struggles to maintain control as Klein watches from outside the storm surrounding her. Whenever her eyes turn red, she takes a step toward Klein.

Klein: "You're okay. Please!"

Penny's eyes alternate chaotically between red and green, and she appears to be in pain.

Penny: 'I don't want to do it."

A hand reaches out to grab Penny's.

Nora: "Hey..."

Penny is taken by surprise, her eye-flames vanishing. The storm rages on.

Nora: "No one's going to make you do anything you don't want to do."

Penny fights against the hack in her system, her words coming out haltingly.

Penny: "But there is a part of me... It's making me..."

Nora: "It's just a part of you. Don't forget about the rest."

The storm in Weiss' bedroom calms, and Nora gives Penny's hand a weak squeeze. Penny seems to have taken control for the moment, and kneels by Nora's bedside. Klein receives a transmission on his Scroll.

Weiss: "Klein, it's coming inside. Stay quiet. I'm on my way."

Klein: "Do hurry. Whitley and Willow have yet to return."

Weiss: "What? Where'd Mom go?"

Willow bursts through the doors of her room, breathing heavily. She reaches for a bottle on a nearby table, but seems to harden her resolve, seeing her Scroll next to it. A distant crash has her yelping in surprise. The Hound has entered the manor's entrance hall, and sniffs around for Penny, stopping at a large puddle of her green coolant on the floor. Nora and Penny look horrified at the Grimm's distant sniffling sounds.

Weiss reaches the manor as well, stepping lightly and looking for the Hound. Suddenly her Scroll beeps.

Willow: "Above you!"

Weiss narrowly dodges as the Hound drops from the ceiling and swings its arm, but instead of striking Weiss, it clashes with a sword belonging to Nero. He blocks the claw of the Hound before jumping back to safety. Weiss fires icy projectiles at the Hound as it leaps onto the second landing, and it roars indignantly before crawling out of sight. Weiss uses her scroll.

Weiss: "Mom?"

In Willow's room, her bottle lies in pieces. She brings up several camera feeds showing the manor's surveillance on her Scroll.

Willow: "I... I can see it. It's outside Winter's old room. I- You can kill it? Can't you?"

Weiss: "What is it doing?" She and Nero head for the stairs as she talks. The Hound is shown prowling the hallway, sniffing.

Willow: "I'm not sure. It's acting strange. Why is it here?"

Weiss and Nero climb the stairs, their weapons at the ready.

Weiss: "It doesn't matter. Just keep an eye on it so me and Nero can track it down."

Willow takes a breath to steady herself.

Willow: "Right. Right. Okay. It's moving again. Heading towards... Oh dear, no."

Meanwhile, Whitley is still working in his father's study, his vest stained with Penny's green coolant.

Whitley: "I can do this." His Scroll beeps.

Willow: "Whitley."

Whitley groans, hanging up on his mother.

Whitley: "You are the last thing I need. All that's left should be..."

The door creaks open, and Whitley grunts in frustration, turning to the door. His expression turns to one of horror.

As the Hound makes its way into the study, Whitley takes cover behind the desk. The Grimm sniffs around, its footsteps rattling the pieces of a nearby chess set. Whitley risks a look at the Hound.

Computer: "Credentials verified. Click to proceed."

The Hound's head snaps toward the computer, and Whitley goes back behind the desk. As the Grimm nears the desk, Whitley's eyes widen.

The Hound: "I know... you're here."

A summoned Boarbatusk suddenly charges the Hound, pinning it to the wall. Willow is seen in the doorway.

Willow: "Run!"

Whitley heads for the door, turning back for one last keystroke. A window reading 'ORDERS RECEIVED' pops up on the computer screen as the Hound fights Willow's summon.

Computer: "Thank you."

Willow and Whitley scramble into the hallway, putting distance between themselves and the room, but the Hound destroys the summoned Boarbatusk and bursts out of the room. Whitley slams the door behind him at the end of the corridor but it barely slowly the Hound down. As he and his mother sprint, the Hound starts to gain on them, and pounces.

A wall of solid ice stops the Grimm from advancing, and Willow and Whitley turn to see Weiss and Nero at the end of the corridor.

Weiss: "I didn't forget you."

Willow and Whitley both smile at her, but their expressions change as the ice wall begins to crack. On the other side, the Hound slashes at the wall with its' claws.

Weiss: "Go!"

Nero: "We'll keep it busy for now."

Willow lays a concerned hand on her daughter's shoulder as she and Whitley run past. While Nero continues to reinforce the ice wall with his Semblance, Weiss stabs her weapon into the ground to prepare for a summon.

*Back to 1st Person...*

Blake is doing battle with the Cenitaur, blocking its strikes and leaping out of the way of its acid spit.

Blake: "Why did it get more disgusting?"

Ruby was still unconscious behind me as I cleared the five Centinels that appeared in front of me. I turned to look at her and kneeled next to her.

Azure: "I don't know if you can hear me, but I need you, Ruby. We all need you."

After I said that, Ruby started to regain her consciousness and slowly opened her eyes. She looked at me, then started getting up as she turned to look over to where Blake was.

Blake detonated a fire dust-infused clone in front of the Cenitaur, and goes in for a strike, but it knocked her off her feet. She forms an ice dust-infused clone around the blades on its arms, and tries again, but she is hit with her own solid clone and collides with a wall, her Aura shimmering weakly. While that happened, Ruby grabbed Crescent Rose and ran towards the Grimm.

The Cenitaur grabs Blake as she tries to recover, its twitching mandibles nearing her neck. It suddenly stiffens and dissipates. Ruby was behind the disintegrating Grimm, having used her weapon to bisect it. She turned to Blake, chuckling.

Ruby: "I'm here to help."

Blake lets out a relieved sigh, and accepts a helping hand from Ruby to get back on her feet. I walked over to the two of them as we then suddenly heard Penny's scream coming from the manor. We started making our way back.

*Back to 3rd Person POV*

The Hound hears the scream, then abandons its efforts at breaking the ice wall, turning and heading for Weiss' bedroom. Nero notices this and stops using his Semblance. Weiss' Arma Gigas summon fades away behind her as she speaks into her Scroll.

Weiss: "It's coming!"

Penny is struggling more than ever to maintain control.

Penny: "I'm sorry!"

With one last grunt, Watts' hack takes over and her eyes stay red. Klein tries to stop her, but Penny simply pushes him away and leaves Weiss' bedroom. Willow and Whitley finally reach the entrance hall, and they grab the banister of the main staircase, breathing heavily. Penny walks by them.

Whitley: "What are you doing?"

Penny: "I must open the Vault, and then self-terminate." Her voice is monotonous.

The Hound appears and locks hands with Penny at the landing, forcing them both into a standstill. Then a third arm emerges from its back and slams Penny into the floor repeatedly. It growls out each word of its order every time Penny hits the ground.

The Hound: "Take. The. Girl."

The Hound lifts an unconscious Penny with one hand as Azure, Nero, Ruby, Weiss, and Blake return to the manor.

Azure: "Penny!"

The Grimm raises a claw to Penny's throat, causing the five to stop in their tracks. Willow and Whitley look on, terrified. Ruby's voice turns uncharacteristically low, matching her anger and indignation.

Ruby: "That's... enough."

Weiss, Blake, Nero and Azure turn to look at her as a bright light emanates from her Silver Eyes. The Hound drops Penny and stumbles back, falling through the window behind it. Penny tumbles down the staircase, coming to a rest at the five teens' feet. They rush the check on her, but the Hound slowly crawls back into view.

As it drags itself back onto the landing, its inner core is visible: the head of a decrepit Silver-Eyed male fox Faunus with unsightly veins covering his face, dark fluid seeping from his one eye and ear, and exposed musculature by his jaw. As it lumbers down the stairs and its joints crack back into place, the head repeats its orders in a raspy voice. Ruby and Azure are stunned at the horrific sight.

The Hound: "Take... the girl. Take the girl. Take the girl. Take the girl!"

Whitley studies the giant suit of armor beside him at the landing and gets his mother's attention. Weiss and Blake hurriedly carry Penny to an alcove in the wall before raising their weapons to stand beside Ruby and Nero, who had his sword out. Azure was still shaken up by the Hound, but he got his swords out, ready to fight if need be. Whitley and Willow push as hard as they can against the armor up above. As the Hound closes in on Azure and his friends, its head regenerates, covering the host's face once more. It's voice deepens to the feral roar from before.

The Hound: "TAKE! THE! GIRL!"

Just as the Grimm is ready to make a lunge, Willow and Whitley manage to tip over the suit of armor. It crashes and clatters on top of the Hound in a cloud of rubble. When the dust finally settles, the Hound has stopped moving beneath the armor. Ruby drops to her knees, staring in shock at the Hound's lone exposed arm as it begins to disintegrate. Azure sheathes his swords away in shock while he watched the arm slowly disintegrate.

Weiss: "What was that?"

Ruby: "That was... a person."

Azure: "A person... with Silver Eyes..."

The dark Grimm flesh fades away to reveal the skeletal forearm and hand of its Faunus host. Azure continues to look at it in shock, but then it turns into despair as he lowers his head and starts breathing heavily. In his mind came the possibility that his father was not dead, but turned into this type of Grimm. This caused him to run away from the group, going up the stairs and disappearing from view. Nero and Ruby saw this and went after him.

Ruby: "Azure!"

Nero: "Wait up!"

After a minute, they eventually found him sitting behind a corner in silence. He had his head in his knees. They walked up to him.

Nero: "Azure, are you okay?"

Ruby: "Cookie, what's wrong?"

Azure: "...Ruby, Nero, did you know that my father also had Silver Eyes?"

Ruby: "No, I didn't..."

Nero: "Where are you going with this?"

Azure: "Did you see who it was underneath that Grimm? He was a Faunus. A Faunus with Silver Eyes!" He looked up to meet their gaze, tears welling up in his eyes. "That is what Salem wants! She wants to turn me and Ruby into that monster as well! That's probably what happened to my father!"

Ruby: "Are you saying... my mother could be one of them?" She started to get nervous.

Nero: "We can't be sure. It's just a speculation, right Azure?" He looks at Azure.

Azure: "But it's a possibility! Salem hunted people with Silver Eyes before, like my grandma. But now, she wants to capture us instead. Something must've happened to change her mind, and it probably involved my father and Ruby's mother. We're not safe at all! Not at all!"

Nero: "Azure, calm down--"

Azure: "How can I calm down?! I'm only just realizing it now, and it's making me scared! What if I get turned into a Grimm?! What if Ruby gets turned into one instead?! I don't know what I'll do if something like that happened--" He gets stopped by Ruby hugging him.

Ruby: (sadly) "Please don't say those things. You shouldn't be acting like this. This isn't the Azure I know and love. The Azure I know would be handling this better and with a calmer state of mind. ...Listen, it's okay to be scared, but you shouldn't let fear get the better of you. I'm sure that whatever you were thinking is not going to happen at all."

Azure: "But--"

Ruby: "No buts. Now, take this time to relax and take a deep breath. I'll be here to keep you company." She looks at Nero. "You can go, Nero. I will be here with him for a while."

Nero nods at her and takes one last glance at his friends before walking away. Azure calms down and hugs Ruby back, who smiles lightly at this. The two stay like this for a while.

*Over with Vert and the others...*

As the Atlesian Military prepares to fight the scores of Grimm emerging from the Monstra's body, Vert, Rosa, Yang, Jaune, and Ren sprint down a corridor within the gigantic Grimm. They stop to catch their breath.

Rosa: "Well, that was harrowing."

Jaune: "We're not in the clear yet. We still have to search this whole thing and find Oscar before the Ace Ops blow us to pieces."

Yang: "How are we supposed to find Oscar? It's going to be like finding a needle in a... giant... whale. Why did we think this was a good idea?"

Ren looks thoughtfully down the corridor.

Ren: "I... I might be able to help. I can sense spikes of people's emotions, I think. It happened on Winter's ship. If I focus my Aura, I can keep it up."

Vert: "Maybe one of them is Oscar."

Ren touches his temples with his fingertips, focusing.

Ren: "I can sort of tell where they are, but not who. They're more of less in the same area though. Further in. I can lead."

Ren makes to move down the corridor, but Jaune stops him with a hand on his shoulder.

Jaune: "Hey, you don't have to drain yourself. I can help too."

Ren: "Yeah, good thinking. Thanks."

Jaune: "Well, lead the way." He awkwardly points finger guns at Ren while Yang rolls her eyes. Vert sighs while Rosa chuckles awkwardly.

Vert, Rosa, Yang, Jaune, and Ren are moving down a corridor. Jaune is using his Semblance to amplify Ren's. Before long, Jaune's Aura shimmers, and he splutters, short of breath.

Jaune: "Sorry." He tries to put his hand on a wall for support, but it glides off the mucus-covered surface, and he shakes the goop from his hand, disgusted.

Ren: "It's not your fault. I'm masking and tracking at the same time."

Yang: "Do you guys need a minute?"

Jaune: "We don't know how much longer we have. Why don't you give masking a break? Give me directions and I can scout ahead."

Ren: "Thanks. We should be heading straight for a while."

Jaune takes off down the corridor, raising an arm in farewell. The other four watch him go.

Yang: "Well, at least you guys being friends again takes the sting out of impending doom."

Ren: "It's okay to be afraid, you know. You don't always have to hide it with a joke."

Yang: "Glad I'm not the only one who's scared."

Ren: "Of course I'm scared." He turns back to look in Jaune's direction.

Ren: "Him on the other hand... There's no fear at all. I can see it, he believes we're going to get this done." He turns back to face Yang, who chuckles.

Yang: "Then I do too."

Vert: "Same with me."

Rosa: "Yeah. We believe in him."

Suddenly, Jaune comes sprinting at full force toward them. He hurries them into an alcove and crouches by its entrance, expanding his shield and drawing his sword.

Jaune: "Mask us, Ren!"

The quintet turn monochrome as Ren uses his Semblance. A Seer hovers into the nearby corridor. Ren's Aura shimmers, and he struggles to keep his Semblance active. The Seer floats past them, but stops in its tracks after Ren's Aura breaks and his Semblance deactivates. It turns around and activates a sound, calling Grimm to its location. Vert quickly slashes at the Seer with his polearm and destroys it, but it was already too late. A small troop of Grimm have appeared where they were.

Rosa swings her axe and unleashes a wave of orange fire as Vert uses wind to make the wave bigger. It goes through and burns four Grimm to ashes. Ren shoots three of them with his StormFlower. Jaune slashes through one as he blocks an attack from another with his shield. He ducks as Yang flies over him and shoots the Grimm dead as it disintegrates.

The five of them finished destroying the Grimm that the Seer had called after them.

Rosa: "What now?"

Yang: "Let's do what we do best, charge blindly into danger."

Jaune: "Would've gone with "keep moving forward," but sure. Ren?"

Ren: "Forward, no matter what."

Vert: "Let's continue onwards."

The five move onward down the hallway. Yang, Jaune, Ren, Vert and Rosa round a corner, coming face-to-face with Emerald and her companion.

Yang: "You."

Emerald has her weapons leveled at the five, but Hazel steps forward, holding his hands out.

Hazel: "No, wait, stop!" His image shimmers and fades, revealing Oscar in Hazel's place. Yang, Ren, Vert and Rosa lower their weapons with relieved smiles, but Jaune drops his sword and shield, running forward to embrace Oscar.

Jaune: "Oscar!"

Oscar winces in pain, but chuckles weakly and returns the embrace.

Emerald: "I knew I sensed some weak minds nearby."

The group's reunion is cut short, and they all stare at Emerald.

Vert: "What's going on?"

Rosa: "What is SHE doing here?"

Oscar: "It's a long story."

Yang steps forward warily.

Yang: "You're gonna have to try and summarize it. Why should we trust you?"

Ren: "Because she's scared. Just like us."

Emerald raises her eyebrows in surprise. Yang and Jaune's expressions soften.

Emerald: "Or maybe because I know how to get out of here."

She moves forward down the corridor past them, only sparing a glance in their direction.

Emerald: "Anybody coming?"

They reluctantly follow Emerald and arrive at one of the Monstra's open-air landing bays. The outskirts of Atlas are visible in the distance.

Oscar: "We're almost out!"

A terrific rumble shakes the ground, forcing them to stop.

Jaune: "What is that?"

Emerald stares blankly straight head, the horror evident in her expression.

Emerald: "It's her."

A massive screech sends the seven of them covering their ears as the whale shakes. Then everyone except Emerald is knocked off their feet by a blast of purple magic. Salem stands at a freshly carved hole in the wall, her eyes sweeping over Oscar, then travelling to Emerald. She turns to run, but Salem extends her arms, grabbing her and pulling her close.

Salem: "You really have been honing that Semblance of yours."

Ren fires at Salem, who turns and retaliates with another blast of magic. Jaune steps forward with his shield, but both he and Ren are blown off their feet and into the wall behind them, breaking the former's Aura. Vert and Rosa use their Semblances against Salem, but she simply counters it with her magic, cancelling their attacks altogether. Yang presses on, jabbing at Salem's front and planting her explosives there. She quickly gets out of range and detonates them.

Salem's upper body bends backwards from the force with her chest ripped open. Her free hand then twists and spit outs an adhesive substance in Yang's direction. She blocks it with her gauntlets, but Salem pulls, reining the girl in as her body regenerates. She finally closes her hand on one of Yang's gauntlets.

Oscar: "Let them go!"

Salem turns to face him, and takes a green beam of magic to the chest. She staggers, then glares and hurls Yang at Oscar. They tumble bodily on the ground. Sigils appear on the ground, spawning Shadow Hands that immobilize Yang, Jaune, Ren, Vert, Rosa and Oscar. She uses one last sigil to immobilize Emerald upright. A roiling ball of magic appears in her hand as she interrogates Emerald.

Salem: "What did you do with the Lamp?"

Emerald: "Nothing." She appears resolute at first, but turns away when Salem moves the ball of magic toward her face.

Salem: "It's missing. Where is it?"

Emerald: "I didn't do anything with it." She squeezes her eyes shut as Salem turns to look at Oscar.

Salem: "Where is it?"

The Shadow Hands binding Oscar force him into an upright position, his hands bound. Salem slowly approaches him.

Salem: (sighs) "Look how you've diminished. How you've lessened yourself, and for what? These children, this ruined world?"

Overcome by rage, she suddenly grabs Oscar's head from both sides, holding her thumbnails threateningly close to his eyes.

Salem: "Why....do...you...keep...coming...back?!"

Yang: "Why do you?!"

Salem's gaze shift to Yang, who is still pinned to the ground. As Yang speaks, she ignores the Shadow Hands tightening around her.

Yang: "All of this endless death, because something bad happened to you once upon a time?!"

Salem moves away from Oscar, slowly moving toward Yang.

Yang: "Nobody gets a fairy-tale ending! Everything I've lost, every person I've lost, is because of you!"

Salem: (scornfully) "And who is it I've taken from you, girl?"

Yang glares angrily at her captor.

Yang: "Summer Rose. My mom."

Salem chuckles, bending forward to look at Yang with a bemused expression.

Salem: "Hm... Her, again."

Rosa: "Don't forget who you also took from one of our friends."

Salem turns her focus to Rosa and Vert as they spoke.

Vert: "You took Miguel (L/N) from our leader."

Salem: "That man, again as well."

Hazel: "Your grace."

Hazel enters the scene, passing in front of a still bound Emerald.

Salem: "Ah, Hazel. I found our guests." She gestures at the subdued teens as Shadow Hands shoot up to cover Yang's mouth.

Yang: "No!"

Salem conjures another ball of magic in her palm, turning to look at Emerald.

Salem: "This one was helping them."

Emerald looks at Hazel, pleading with her eyes, but his expression is indecipherable. The hands holding Oscar retract, unceremoniously dropping him tot he ground.

Salem: "Take the boy back to his chamber. I have work to do with this one." She caresses a now tearful Emerald's cheek with the back of her hand, the churning magic inches from her face.

Hazel: "Yes, of course."

As Hazel moves behind Salem to get to Oscar, Emerald's wide, panicked eyes track him. He looks at Yang, Rosa, Vert, Jaune, and Ren as he passes by, then finally grabs Oscar by the collar and lifts him up to eye-level. He regards him for a moment, grimacing, before pulling him close to whisper in his ear.

Hazel: "No more Gretchens, boy." He drops Oscar, who lifts his right hand to find his cane, The Long Memory. Hazel heads back toward Salem and Emerald.

Emerald: "I really don't know!"

Salem pulls her hand back to use her magic on Emerald, but is sent flying by a punch from Hazel. She cushions her fall with a swirling cyclone, and Hazel moves forward to do battle. The Grimm arms and sigils binding the others disappear. Hazel discards his vest, and produces a large Dust crystal.

Hazel: "Go! Now!" He embeds crystal after crystal of various types into his shoulders: ice, fire, lightning, earth, wind. Each sends tracks of glowing energy out under his skin, and his eyes start to glow from the power he is channeling.

Emerald: "Hazel."

Hazel turns to look at Emerald. Her eyes are glimmering, and she gives him a subtle shake of the head. He gives her a determined and reassuring smile, denying her wordless plea.

Hazel: "Go." He turns back to face Salem, who has levitated higher into the air.

Salem: "So you've decided against vengeance for your sister, after all this time."

Hazel sets his fists ablaze, settling into a boxer's stance.

Hazel: "I'm doing what Gretchen would have done!"

Salem gathers her magic, sending it at Hazel in short bursts. He uses Lightning Dust to augment his speed, weaving and dodging between them, then sends a barrage of fireballs at Salem. She easily dodges them, and sends a spread of beams his way. He dodges, before slamming Wind Dust at his feet. The resulting burst of air launches him toward Salem.

Hazel then combines the Dust between his palms, creating an oversized ball of rock, fire, and lightning, which he slams into Salem. She is knocked to the ground, and he bashes her stomach upon landing, slamming his fists into her face and head. The ground is quickly covered in dark, glistening blood. Even as she is beaten to pieces, Salem's hand crooks upright to make a gesture; her sigil appears on the ground, and Shadow Hands lunge out to immobilize Hazel's limbs, lifting him into the air.

Emerald can only watch, dismayed. She notices Yang, Jaune, Rosa, Vert and Ren making an escape behind her, and gives Hazel one last glance before taking off as well.

Jaune: "Come on everyone, out!"

Emerald races past him, and she, Rosa, Vert, Yang, and Ren safely make it outside.

Jaune: "Wait, Oscar?!"

Oscar solemnly turns to face Jaune, holding up his cane.

Oscar: "She'll just come after us." He turns back to face the battle, extending his cane.

Still holding Hazel immobile, Salem regenerates her head, her jaw cracking and popping back into place. Hazel readies a crystal hidden in his palm, and uses it to block Salem's burst of magic with a Hard-Light shield. Salem uses her Shadow Hands to fling him into a distant wall as Oscar watches. She grabs the back of Hazel's head and slams it into the ground repeatedly, the disappointment evident on her face.

The gears in The Long Memory start to glow, and a sudden breeze ruffles his collar and hair. Salem turns to look at him, then glides across the floor toward him at an alarming speed. However, Hazel stops her, closing his arms around her waist and lifting her off the ground. A sigil appears at his feet, causing Shadow Hands to wrap around his ankles and his throat. In one last act of defiance, Hazel parts his lips to reveal a Fire Dust crystal, which he then crushes between his teeth. Both he and Salem are engulfed in flames. The latter starts screaming in rage.

The hands around Hazel's neck tighten, and he painstakingly cranes his neck to lock eyes with Oscar.

Hazel: "Do it."

Oscar readies his now glowing cane as Hazel gasps, his eyes becoming unfocused. The boy depresses the lever on his weapon, causing its length to shimmer gold. A sphere of crackling green magic forms around him, and the immediate area is filled with bright yellow light.
—————————————————————
Man, that was not pretty for our main character. Having to see Penny in that state, but then dealing with a Grimm that has a host with Silver Eyes underneath. That would make him feel scared and hopeless, but Ruby is there to bring him back to his senses as they hug each other. Meanwhile, the other group rescued Oscar, but encountered Salem, but not before gaining help from both Emerald and Hazel. What's gonna happen next for our heroes?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 1.9K 20
A "RWBY" - male reader insert Yang Xiao Long x Male Reader What happens when a kid on the street is randomly invited to attend one of the world's mos...
95.4K 1.6K 12
After the death of your Master, you abandon your life as a warrior monk of Sun Zhang. Aiming to be a Huntsman, you attend Beacon Academy, however you...
34 0 4
To celebrate 2 years on this site I'm remaking my first ever story published on here which I can admit has some issues which I plan to fix with this...
362K 4.3K 75
Your Name is Y/N L/N. You didn't know who you're parents are. Ozpin invited you to join Beacon academy to become a hunter. Or isn't? Deep inside, the...