Ephemera

By stellarflower-

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown" Ephemera: Nothing is permanent, flowers that bloomed will die in a... More

||Prologue||
||Aesthetics||
Inferno
Veneer of Bravery
Hope for the Hopeless
Perfect Little Accident
Tears Don't Fall
Hairbrush?
Eternally yours
Devika's 'mint kheer'
Love hurts
Betrayed and broken
Broken trust
Author's note
All is Lost
Yudhishthira's letter
Dilemma
Doors of life
New day
I have some questions
Towards
Family Time
Traumatic night
Issues
Fire
Tragic news
Hidimb and Hidimba
Hidden truths
Birth
Calm Before Storm
Fire borns
Moments to treasure
Twist in the Tale
Wrenched heart
Reunion
Note
Her swayamvar
Entrance
Time for truth
Insecurities
Serendipity
Divulgence
New cover
Review
Barren
Elysian
Unfaithful
Cadaver
Tranquil
Veer Sodari
Xenization
The Great Prank
Catharsis
Sweet Bliss
Dreadful
Sovereign
Erstwhile
Love Story
Strike One, Down
The last dinner
Journey to Hastinapur
Indelible recollections
The First Dice is Cast
Why?
Trick to Tease
"Won"
Ambrosia
Her Leash
From Consecrated to Cursed
What?
Star crossed
On your own
Flaring the fire
Darkness Ascends
Veil Of Secrets
Philosophy of Curses
50K Reads!
Peek A Boo

Little Brain, Big Doubt

167 12 124
By stellarflower-

Well, here I am- 

I honestly didn't think I would continue this story, but I don't want to abandon it, which might have something to do with 2 of my readers who urged me to continue this. I really hope you all like this.

Another thing, the last chapter has nearly 400 reads but merely 10 votes, this is very upsetting, so please vote and comment. Reading your comments are leggit my fav thing to do.

~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes givers or selfless people end up being unable to love or assist others in the long run because of how cruel the world has been to them. Not because their hearts have become like those of stone, but because they have nothing left to give.

~~~~~~~~~~

Arjun blinked and blinked again.

Bheem dropped his laddoo.

Nakul had surely lost his mind to come up with something so absurd- it didn't make sense. It was pure blasphemy. Bheem burst out laughing at the very idea. Sahadev shook his head as he dead planned "I told you all to not entertain any of his doubts!"

"Nakul. Anuj, you should seriously not stress your brain so much, nothing good will come out of it." Bheem said shaking his head. Draupadi was still in shock, her husband must have taken a hit to the head last night. Next time, she would make sure Nakul did not sleep near a wall, but trusting him, he could take a hit to his head in any case.

She sighed at his sheer immaturity.

"So, what do you all think?" Nakul asked with a proud grin.

"What I think is that Nakul has lost his mind, so we must ignore the nonsense he oh-so graciously pointed out." Sahadev replied as Nakul threw him a betrayed look.

"Accept it, I am the smarter twin!" Nakul informed Sahadev.

Arjun who finally recovered from his blinking spree suggested, "Let's ask Bhrata Karna about this!" Garnering immediate approvals from the others, while Draupadi insisted to go prepare lunch and positively ignore Nakul's doubt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the dimly lit chamber, Duryodhana smirked at Dhriti. He came armed with the plan he and Shakuni had made.

Duryodhana, with a wicked grin, spoke, "Dhriti, the time has come to eliminate those who dare challenge my reign. Even if they share my blood, they pose a threat that must be extinguished."

Dhriti, known for her unyielding loyalty, met his gaze, a flicker of unease betraying her typically stoic facade. "My lord, your own kin? My family? There must be other ways to secure your throne without resorting to such extremes."

She could not comprehend why he wanted to hurt the Pandavas, they already had nothing.

The prince halted, turning to face her with a predatory intensity. "Dhriti, loyalty is a double-edged sword. Those who hesitate find themselves severed from its embrace. I expect you to carry out this task – efficiently and without mercy."

A charged silence permeated the room, Dhriti grappling with the sinister demand. "My lord, I have executed your every command without question, but this... this is a darkness I hadn't anticipated. They are family, after all."

Duryodhana's laughter echoed with cruelty. "Dhriti, do not let sentimentality cloud your judgment. Our enemies lurk within our own blood. You will weaken them."

Inside her was going on a raging battle between her allegiance to the prince and the moral turmoil within. Her mind flashed to the face of her son, Arobynn, whose future hinged on Duryodhana's continued reign. The weight of responsibility to secure his safety bore down on her, intensifying her mental anguish. Towards her son, after all, lay her last loyalty.

After a tense pause, she lowered her eyes, a reluctant acceptance escaping her lips. "As you command, my lord. But know that this choice stains more than just my hands."

Duryodhana's satisfaction was evident, his eyes narrowing with wicked delight. "Dhriti, the truly powerful embrace darkness without hesitation. This is the price of dominion, and you will pay it willingly."

As Dhriti departed the chamber, the weight of her familial betrayal pressed upon her, her mental conflict echoing in the corridors. The image of Arobynn's innocent face haunted her, a stark reminder of the sacrifice she had made to ensure his.

Her steps, once resolute, now carried the burden of a mother's torn allegiance and the grim reality that she had become an instrument in a play of dark political machinations.

~~~~~~~~~~

Karn sat under sequoia trees with Yudhishthira as he recounted yesterday's events to him. Yudhishthira didn't seem to quite grab what Karna was rattled about. Karna, hysteric with mania explained it to him as if he was talking to a child.

"So?" Yudhishthira questioned as Karna's eyes went wide with panic. "What do you mean, so? All of them think I am partial towards the other! They are my younger brothers!" Karna said extremely slowly.

"I used to hear that 10 times an hour, they must have moved on from the topic by now." Yudhishthira replied with a soft smile, he missed his brothers' antics, after the dice hall, their relation had changed forever. His voice trembled as he mentioned 'used to' but he still smiled. He couldn't begrudge Karna the fact that all 4 of their brothers looked at Karna the way they used to look at him.

At least, they were happy and that's what mattered.

Karna lit up like his father hearing that, "Really? You think so?" He asked hopefully as Yudhishthira chuckled softly and replied, "Jyesth, I know so."

Sometimes Karna's innocence and simplicity surprised Yudhishthira, it resembled that of 4 people he knew very well.

They joy on Karna's face was unmistakable as 4 voices came barrelling, "JYESTH!"

Yudhishthira opened his mouth to respond but stopped, the realisation hit him- they didn't mean him. They were merely brothers for the sake of blood.

"Jyesth Karna! Nakul has a doubt." Sahadev said as Karna furrowed his eyebrows. "Come with us, he has probably lost his mind." Arjun added half dragging him there. Karna turned to look at Yudhishthira asking him to join them, but Yudhishthira shook his head in denial and mouthed "They called you, not me. Go."

Once they left, Yudhishthira smiled. His brothers had been slowly recovering from the gruesome scars of the dice hall. A tiny part of him felt replaced- he had always been the one they came to with doubts, they called as a middleman, they cherished so much. Even in Indraprastha, Karna was often a part of their antics, the person they planned their pranks with.

But it didn't matter, he smiled content for the first time. They were happy, they were laughing, they looked like family. And he would do anything to keep that beautiful picture of his brothers dragging Karna away enthusiastically, even if it meant removing himself from the picture. His brothers had someone to look up to, someone who would protect them and Yudhishthira knew that Karna would do this better than he ever managed to.

It must have been true that he had conquered all human emotions, or it might have been his selfless love and care for his brothers that all he ever wanted was to see them happy. The pain they tried to hide from him was the only thing powerful enough to change his existence. Even after all the snide comments, glares, taunts- he had never felt happier than seeing them so complete with Karna. Maybe that was the dharma of elder brothers- to do absolutely anything for their younger ones or it was the very base of Yudhishthira's existence- to see his brothers smiling.

And if Karna shall ever need his help with his brothers, he would always be there.

~~~~~~~~~~'

On the other hand, Karna was aghast listening to Nakul's doubt. Where in the world did he come up with something like this?! Immediately he shook his head, "I don't know, I have no clue how you came up with this Nakul. Ask Yudhi to answer your doubt!"

And so, they went to fetch Yudhishthira. Looking at the white face of Karna and the proud look of Nakul, Yudhishthira wished to be anywhere else. This was not going to be good.

"So, Maharaj-" Bheem began but was cut off by a furious Nakul.

'Don't take credit for my doubt!" Nakul said as Arjun blinked. And blinked again.

"Jyesth, Indradev, Vayudev and Suryadev are brothers, right?" Nakul began proudly telling Yudhishthira as Sahadev interrupted, "Bhaiya, if you want you can be the only one to escape his insanity." Karna looked betrayed, "Why was I not given such a choice?" he asked.

"Because it's our duty to steal your sanity." Bheem replied to Karna who gaped.

Yudhishthira chuckled and said, "I am pretty sure they are."

"I was hoping that you would say it isn't true." Bheem admitted begrudgingly.

'Why does everyone keep interrupting my doubt?" Nakul whined making everyone go quite. "Yamraj, and the Ashwini Kumars are the children of Suryadev?" Nakul asked again as Yudhishthira's eyes widened with panic, this should not be going where he thought it was but the ashen looks on others' faces did not reassure him.

"Don't finish that sentence or Bharata yudhi will loose his mind-" Arjun said blinking.

"That makes Yamraj, and the Ashwini Kumars the nephews of indradev and vayudev?" Nakul enquired again as Sahdev shut his ears, he couldn't hear this nonsense for the 3rd time.

"So that makes Jyesth Karn, Bhrata Bheem and bhrata Arjun are mine, Sahadev's and your uncle, Jyesth!" Nakul said with a proud look on his face.

6 pairs of eyes were trained on Yudhishthira gauging his reaction who looked scandalised.

He opened his mouth to say something but shut it again, and again.

"I HAVE BEEN ORDERING AROUND MY UNCLES?!!!!!!" Yudhi screamed in shock, just when he thought the dice hall was the worst sin of his life. Now was Nakul's turn to be aghast, they were their jyestha's younger brothers, right?

Bheem dropped another laddoo.

"At this rate of sin, my father should reserve me a place in eternal hell." He mumbled.

Draupadi dropped the plate of lunch she had just made in the hut as her husband's yell reach her, what was up with her husbands today? First, Nakul has an oh so amazing doubt and then Yudhishthira has the worst possible conclusion to it.

She now was sure even Yudhishthira had taken a hit to his head. She decided to make sure both of them do not sleep near any wall.

Arjun blinked. And blinked again. How did his brother even decide that? "Jyesth, we are your little brothers first."

"YOU ARE MY UNCLES! I AM SO SO SORRY! I SWEAR I DIDN'T KNOW-" Yudhi screamed again.

'Please ignore Nakul's nonsense." Sahadev implored while Bheem laughed- he, the uncle of Yudhishthira? The idea itself was absurd.

'Yudhi, I called you here to find a solution to the issue, not aggravate it!" Karna said alarmed as Yudhishthira hid his face in his hands, embarrassed. How did he never realise this?!

"Uh, Jyesth- sorry Kakashree- wait no, what do I even call you?" Yudhi started panicking as he looked at Karna, everyone looked terrified, they had never ever ever seen him panic. "Arju- Kaka Arjun-" Yudhishthira began as Arjun blinked and shut his ears, he could not hear this, "Jyesth, you can't call me th- tha- that!" He exclaimed as if the word itself was cursed.

"Arjun, let me complete!" Yudhishthira said frustrated before he realised, he was talking to his uncle. "Oh my god- I am so sorry kaka! I swear I didn't mean it! If you want, you can punish me for my indolence." Yudhi said utterly humiliated while Bheem and Karna laughed seeing Arjun so mortified.

"Uh Bheem Kaka? Can I call you that?!" Yudhishthira asked Bheem as he turned as pale as arjun. "What Jyesth? Don't believe Nakul's nonsense. We are your younger brothers!" Bheem bellowed.

If Yudhishthira hadn't been so caught up in his misery, he would have noticed that Bheem had called him Jyesth- not Maharaj.

"Enough of this absurdity!" Karna tried to command but no one listened. "We are brothers and I would appreciate it if it stays like that's!" He finally got their attention well, everyone except Yudhishthira's.

'I told you; you would ruin his sanity." Arjun scoffed at Nakul.

"Um, as your Kakas, we order you to consider us your brothers only!" Bheem and Arjun said in unison leaving a betrayed Yudhishthira who was about to argue back but was cut off by Draupadi's scream,

"HELP!"

As they all rushed over to her they could only gape at the scene in front of them.

~~~~~~~~~~

As fallible humans, we usually slip too far over one edge or the other - all wrath and judgment or all grace and love.

A copper skinned child pulled his knees to his chest. He had always been judged, based on stuff he never did. He bore the brutal weight of his father's sins. The judgment wasn't a whisper but a relentless storm, drowning him in a sea of disdain.

The maids would whisper behind his back, and he always pretended he didn't hear them, that it didn't affect him. His uncle, grandfather all held him at an arm's length, what was his fault? He couldn't choose his parents. Everyone waited with a bated breath to see if he would turn out like his father, who had been the most promising youth but sinned big time.

Nobody sees the real you. Nobody knows who you are inside. That was a harsh truth he had had to learn.

At Gurukul, he thought it might become better, but he'd never been more wrong in his life. Other princes would scoot away whenever he came, he had heard the whispers which claimed his mother was a prostitute and his father a gambler.

His brothers were his only support but they were young, they didn't deserve to face the insults because they were related to him.

Prativindhya never quite understood Amelia's staunch support for his father. She lived in an idealistic world as Karna's daughter; her father was not even present during the cursed game; she didn't have to face the constant judgements.

Today they had had another argument over his father. His father, he was known to be like a father to his younger brothers but where was he for his very own son? Amelia had nothing bad to say about him and it infuriated Prativindhya to no end, how dare she comment that he was being unfair to his father.

From what he had heard, his father had gambled his mother and watched as she had been humiliated. He hated everyone who had been there as silent witnesses.

And- and imagine the audacity of everyone, nobody told him he had had a twin sister- a sister who had died before she could even live. He had never felt so numb in his entire life and for some reason, he wished he had died that day instead of her.

Prativindhya had heard the soft voice that sung him to sleep, wail in pain and sorrow behind closed doors- and nothing could make a child harder, tougher, more grown up than their mother's pain.

Well, Yudhishthira had a lot of explaining to do to his son when he would come back from the exile. 

~~~~~~~~~

Behind the scenes

Yudhishthira- Author ji, why do I feel like I am reaching the peak of my character arc?

Ira- First, don't call me that, secondly, maybe your story is coming to an end.

Arjun (Don't ask me how he got here)- Wait a second! Is the book nearly over?

Ira- Maybe, maybe not, who knows? All stories don't end on the same page, Arjun.

~~~~~~~

Karna- So why exactly have we all gathered here?

Ira- Go on, Bheem, tell him.

*Bheem aggressively wiping his tears*

Arjun *whispering*- I  don't think Bharata Bheem is in the mental state  to respond Jyesth.

Bheem *choking*- We have all gathered here in the loving memory of my two laddoos- Laddoo 1 and Laddoo 2.

Nakul- That is why we are here?

Sahadev- I have a premonition that says Nakul's life will be in grave danger very soon.

Bheem- Nakul, today I will not leave you! It is because of your doubt that both my laddoos are dead!

*Nakul hides behind Yudhishthira*

Nakul- Jyesth! Please save the life of your favourite brother!

Yudhishthira- Bheem, he is a kid, let him go.

Bheem- Jyesth, today you cannot protect him.

Karna- I will never understand-

Ira*with popcorn* - Enough all of you, I need you guys for my future sequence.

~~~~~~~~~~~

If you guys have any ideas, please tell me especially regarding what Dhriti should do now- cause I am confused. Regarding anything else? Pitch them in here, I will try my best to add as many as I can.

Did you all like this chapter?

What was the best part?

What was the worst part?

What are your opinions regarding Prativindhya?

I am sorry but I am not going to paint him like a copy of his father, he was his own person. I promise he will undergo development but for now, please try to understand that his prejudice regarding his father is not baseless. He has had to face the repercussions of it all his life.

I swear to god, Yudhishthira's reaction was so epic when he realised that they are his uncles!!

Why do you think Draupadi screamed and what did they all see?

What will Dhriti do?

The entire uncles thing was inspired from a roleplay we did in covid in kurufamily discord.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 503 20
✧.*Upasna prem the Meera ka, Krishna ko aradhya bana diya, Dampatya prem tha Rukmini ka, Krishna ko pati bana diya, Un-mukt prem tha Devasena ka, Kri...
145K 8K 53
She was a princess, he was a prince, it could have been a simple story but no, life isn't simple and love is not easy and it can never be simple and...
48.6K 2.1K 44
What if Abhimanyu learns of a secret buried deep in time - one not even his family knows about? The secret of SURYAPUTRA KARNA What would happen whe...
47.5K 3.4K 33
β˜† COMPLETED βœ“β˜† || ArDi Story || An alliance between 2 kingdoms, a marriage of 2 young kids, a dream that gnaws every night, an answer both are searc...