Cliff's Good Deed

By DennisRoyer

An unlikely romance sprouts from a chance encounter between Cliff and Hannah after she spurns his good deed... More

A Brief Introduction
1 - No Good Deed
2 - Cliff's Frustration
3 - Hannah's Frustration
4 - You!
5 - Izzy Explains Cliff's Mistake
6 - Hannah Laments
7 - Izzy's Advice
9 - Hannah's Second Thoughts
10 - A King's Breakfast
11 - Cliff's Profession
12 - Cliff Consults with Izzy
13 - Unwelcome News
14 - Finding Treasures
15 - Hannah on the Test Course
16 - Ice Cream
17 - A Consultation
18 - Hannah's Ex
19 - Watermelon
20 - Candymonium!
21 - Rocky and the Bumper Cars
22 - Hannah, Cliff, Izzy, and Aaron
23 - Man Talk
24 - The Kissing Tower
25 - A Formal Proposal
26 - Hannah Wonders
27 - Izzy's News
28 - Hannah's Bad Day
29 - Date Number Four
30 - Making Plans
31 - Flavor of the Month
32 - Hannah Snaps Back
33 - A Sunday Drive
34 - Racing the Storm
35 - Round Two
36 - Where is Hannah?
37 - A Surprise Phone Call
38 - Cliff and Izzy Commiserate
39 - Hannah Prepares
40 - The Interview
41 - The Presentation
42 - Should I or Shouldn't I?
43 - Cliff Gives In
44 - A Win for the Family
45 - Hannah Asserts Herself
46 - Not The Same Man
47 - Truths Revealed
48 - Two Fingers of Bourbon
49 - More Worries
50 - Detective Shultz
51 - The Summer Social
52 - Kayla and Cliff (Part 1)
53 - Kayla and Cliff (Part 2)
54 - Kayla and Cliff (Part 3)
55 - Izzy's Story (Part 1)
56 - Izzy's Story (Part 2)
57 - Hannah Steps Up
58 - Hannah Tries Reasoning
59 - Cliff's Desperate Plan
60 - Resisting
61 - A Rescue Attempt

8 - Cliff Makes His Move

50 13 86
By DennisRoyer

Thinking about Hannah gave Cliff butterflies. She was so hot, but he had dated other attractive women. Asking them out hadn't put him on edge. Not like this.

He arrived at The Striker Sports Bar at five, an hour before Hannah's shift. Sitting alone at his table, he had downed two beers while picking at soft pretzel sticks. The greeter had been reluctant when he asked to be seated at one of Hannah's tables until he slipped her a fifty-dollar bill. He also tipped the day waitress ten dollars for each of the two beers she brought him. She didn't seem offended when he told her he would wait for Hannah before ordering his meal.

A few minutes past six, he saw her emerge from the kitchen's bat wing doors while tying on her apron. She approached the greeter. The two ladies engaged in a friendly conversation; both wore smiles, until the greeter pointed at Cliff. Hannah's smile disappeared.

She marched his way and stopped in front of him, arms crossed at her chest. "Are you stalking me?"

"No, I'm here to order dinner."

"Why did you specifically ask to sit at one of my tables?"

"You provided excellent service last night. Why should I take a chance with some other unknown waitress, er, excuse me, server."

"I'd prefer if you sat someplace else."

"Why? Didn't I leave you a big enough tip?"

"I'm asking you nicely to sit in another section. Are you going to comply?"

Was he going to comply? Her businesslike tone made it clear there would be consequences if he didn't. How he responded next could cause an escalation and get him bounced from the place. Cliff recalled Izzy's advice about dropping the tough guy persona. He needed to try another approach. Instead of being tough, he would expose a bit of vulnerability. "There's another reason I asked to be seated at your table. I want to apologize."

She said nothing and raised an eyebrow.

"I told my sister about how we met at the dealership. She set me straight about my conduct, and I now understand how my behavior had been rude. I had no business forcing my way into your affairs. I'm really sorry."

Her expression betrayed no reaction. After a few moments of silence, she said, "So, are you moving to another table?"

What did he have to do to get her to back down? The woman was frustrating, but the more she challenged him, the more intrigued he became. "Hannah, please. Can't we call a truce? I came here with sincere intentions."

Her posture remained stiff. "Okay, truce, but if you do anything to make me feel unsafe, I'm going to have you kicked out."

"Fair enough."

She pulled a pad and pencil from her apron pocket. "Are you ready to order?"

He already had two beers while waiting for her. Why not make it three? "Another lager, please."

She saw the two empty glasses sitting in front of him and arched her eyebrow. "What I meant was are you ready to order something to eat, you know, to soak up some of that alcohol?"

"What, are you my mother? I said another beer, please."

"Suit yourself. If you get pulled over for drunk driving, don't blame me."

She had a point. Maybe he should ease up on the liquid courage. The last thing he wanted was to crash Izzy's Audi. He'd never hear the end of it. "Just one more. Then I'll cut myself off. What do you have on the menu that's good besides wings?"

She eyed him. "What do you like?"

He shrugged.

"You look like a man who enjoys red meat. How about a cheeseburger with fries."

"What makes you think I'm a red meat eater?"

She studied him some more. "You have an impressive build. You're either a football player or a body builder. In my experience most guys who look like you order red meat, you know, for the protein."

Cliff realized she had just objectified him, but he didn't care. Her flattery about him having an impressive build puffed up his ego. "I fit a stereotype, eh?"

"Yeah, which is it, football player or body builder?"

He took his time answering to scrutinize Hannah more closely. She had to be in her mid-twenties, maybe a recent college graduate who had taken a waitressing gig until she could land a better job in her major.

"I'm neither."

She tapped the pen against her pad. "Look, do you want a cheeseburger or something else?"

"Yeah, okay, no fries though."

She smirked. "That's right. They're unhealthy."

It warmed him how she remembered he had said that.

Cliff watched as she sashayed away. If she were any other woman, he would just boldly ask her out. If she were any other woman, he wouldn't care if she said no. He didn't want Hannah to say no. He wondered how to play it without scaring her off.

A while later, she returned with his beer and cheeseburger.

Cliff decided no matter what he did, there would be no guarantee, so he would just go for it. He chinned toward the nearly empty dining area. "It's early and you're not very busy yet. Sit with me. I'll buy you a drink."

"I don't drink on the job." She turned to walk away.

"Wait, you don't have to drink, but you can still sit with me, can't you?"

She grabbed the back of the chair opposite his and looked him in the eye. "Do you recall what I said would happen if you made me feel unsafe?"

Crestfallen, Cliff sighed. "Please don't stereotype me as someone dangerous based on the way we met or because I'm a big guy."

"I'm not. You sound desperate and needy. I'm going to take a hard pass."

"What if you're wrong? What if I'm the exact opposite of desperate and needy?"

She placed a hand on her hip. "What if I don't care?"

God, this woman. "I told you I'm not a football player or a body builder, so aren't you just a little intrigued as to why I have such an impressive build?"

She scoffed. "Now you sound cocky and arrogant."

"Why, because I said I have an impressive build? Those were your words."

She didn't immediately walk away which encouraged him. "Hannah, I'd really like to get to know you better."

She laughed at him. "You can't be serious."

"I am serious. To be honest, you fascinate me. You have spirit and aren't afraid to show it. I find that quality very attractive. I'd like to find out how you got that way. You have a story, and I'd love to hear it."

She stopped laughing.

"Let me buy you dinner someplace in public where you'll feel safe, here if you like, or anyplace else you prefer."

The sparkle he had seen in her eyes faded. She looked at the floor. "I don't date."

Cliff noticed how she didn't say it with much conviction. "See what I mean? Such an attractive lady who doesn't date. There must be a reason why. You have a story to tell."

"It's not a pretty story. If I tell it, you won't find me so fascinating."

"I doubt that. Besides, I have a story to tell too. Why don't we just get to know each other a little better?"

When Hannah met his gaze, Cliff saw the fire return to her eyes. "What makes you think I want to get to know you better?"

He had been so close to getting her to agree and didn't want to blow it. He thought of how to make himself more of a mystery. "If you don't accept my offer, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering about the well-built guy whom you took a pass on. It'll haunt you."

She scoffed.

"C'mon, Hannah. Please, take a leap of faith."

She studied him while chewing her lower lip. "I work nights, so your offer to buy me dinner is a no go. I'll let you meet me for breakfast instead."

Hooray for Cliff! It's only breakfast, but it's a start.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 394 75
When Emma moves back home after dropping out of med school, she is not excited to share a house with her mother again. They do not get along, and she...
144K 7.6K 90
Matteo Sternato is a replica of his father. Intimidating, short-tempered, and fiercely protective of the people he loves. Between being the star pla...
16.1K 249 26
(Book 2: Royal Mafia Series) Born into the most powerful Royal mafia in America, Jake Castillo, the rebellious eldest son of the world's most dangero...
6K 235 46
Diana Johnson was ready for new beginnings. She was finally back to her city - for completing her Masters and keeping a secret hidden. The odds see...