Perfect World Somewhere

By Holly_Gonzalez

"Perfect World Somewhere" is now a Featured Sci Fi novel! Thank you to the Wattpad team and all of you fantas... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 9

143 21 1
By Holly_Gonzalez

On a crisp fall afternoon, Lily and Clarence returned to the barracks, and went downstairs to the communal room.

Gabriel was off-duty, lounging at the long wooden table. He waved and smiled.

Clarence joined Gabriel in front of the radio. It was time for the latest news broadcast out of Calgary, another of the strongholds.

The announcer's voice was bold, yet hopeful, over the fizzled speaker. "The Kaezer is at our doorstep, but all of the free cities stand united in the cause of liberty. Don't forgive, or forget. The enemy must be driven out of our land, dear friends."

It was nothing unusual or exciting. She took a tin cup from the counter, and dipped it into the kettle of water on the stove.

Gabriel had fetched it from the river that afternoon, and boiled it for their evening use.

She sat beside them to listen.

The radio announcer returned. "We have urgent and alarming news of a widespread outbreak. Thousands have fallen ill. Reports are swarming in, that the water has been tainted. Only stored caches are safe. Repeat. Do not drink the water..."

Right before Lily could drink, Gabriel knocked the cup out of her fingers, and sent it hurtling into the corner with a clatter and splash.

"Don't," he said. He gasped, and clutched his stomach with a trembling hand.

"Gabriel, are you okay?" Clarence's dark eyes widened with concern.

The radio droned on, a foreboding sound.

"You drank it, didn't you?" Lily put a hand on Gabriel's shoulder.

He could only nod. He coughed, fell to his hands and knees, and vomited a swirl of red-stained bile.

Clarence raced to the door. "I'll get help."

Sweat shone upon Gabriel's skin, as he shuddered and groaned. Rivulets of blood dripped from his mouth and nose.

Soon, Daddy and Captain Rutherford arrived, and carried him to his bunk.

Delia poured the tainted water outside. Luckily, no one else drank it.

Within hours, the news traveled around the world. Water now brought death, and chaos erupted. The reserve tanks and cisterns were the only safe sources in Weathermann's Stand. The desperate, thirsty populace pressed daily. Riots broke out.

The militia opened fire to restore order. Many were wounded, and a few were killed. Hatred flared. Anyone in uniform was harassed, no matter where they went.

Worst of all were the constant cries of grief and pain from those who'd ingested the water, and those mourning the dead.

Lily hummed herself to sleep, while covering her ears.

Gabriel's screams and moans were unbearable. On the third day of his suffering, they heard the loud clap of a gunshot.

Everyone ran to the room that Gabriel and the captain shared.

Captain Rutherford stood in the doorway, pale and disturbed.

"He took my pistol, when my back was turned. He...don't go in there, children." His hands trembled as he pushed Lily and Clarence gently down the hall. "Go back to your room. We'll take care of this."

Daddy led them away, and did his best to explain what had happened.

They buried Gabriel quickly, to avoid him being taken in an undignified manner by the collector robots.

Lily wanted to cry, but couldn't. The overwhelming demise made her feel hollow.

The Kaezer possessed safe water supplies, and seized control of all known pure sources. Their propaganda continued, with even more fervor. "We shall give you water, food, shelter, care for your ill and injured. Come to the arms of the great leader, and find peace."

An exodus began, as anguished masses fled to the enemy. Stories circulated that the Kaezer had constructed huge fortresses, to better ration the water.

Salvation arrived one evening, with the chime of Delia's wristcom.

Daddy was outside, erecting a condensation still. Water was cleansed after evaporation, but they gleaned barely enough to survive on.

Lily sat beside Clarence on his bunk, playing a game of cat's cradle. It helped to pass time when they were bored.

When Delia answered her call, she covered a sob with one hand. "Ben, thank goodness it's you. We have to get off-world. It isn't safe here."

"I don't have long," Ben said. "This is an illicit channel on Celestine. It's the only way I could get through. But I have a shuttle arranged at last. Due to the water situation, everything up here is under strict quarantine. It will be highly dangerous. Do you still wish to do this?"

"Please." Desperation tinged Delia's voice.

Lily and Clarence stared.

"Has Mr. Fairpoole agreed to join us?" Ben asked.

"Yes. We can be ready anytime. The sooner, the better."

Daddy entered the room, and Delia beckoned him to her side.

Ben introduced himself, and proceeded to give the exact location. About fifty miles northwest of the stronghold was an abandoned reconnaissance base. It had an airstrip, in an area deemed useless by the Kaezer. They'd meet after sunset, in a week's time.

The call ended, after a mutual agreement.

For the rest of the evening, they discussed the best plan of action. Travel on foot would take two to three days. With the rationing, obtaining water for the journey would be their greatest challenge.

Getting out of Weathermann's Stand was their next concern. They'd have to elude both the Kaezer, and the scavengers within the stronghold itself. Having Krept was an advantage, but since the robot would be carrying supplies, its combat abilities were limited.

"Let's worry about getting the water first," Delia said. "Leave the rest to me."

Daddy bartered with Commissioner Marquardt the next morning. He managed to trade for a few gallons, but the commissioner wouldn't give more.

They gathered a little extra from their condensation still, and it would have to be enough.

Three days prior, Delia announced her plan.

"We'll leave by night, and declare ourselves as surrendering to the Kaezer. It pains me to desert the militia, and Captain Rutherford, but we have no choice. Ben can only take the four of us."

Daddy took Lily and Clarence aside. "This won't be easy, but I know you two are strong. Are you ready?"

They nodded, and Daddy hugged them.

Delia inspected Krept, and filled its tanks.

Pretending it was an ordinary night, they went to sleep at the normal time.

A few hours before dawn, Daddy woke them. "Let's go," he said.

Hastily, Lily secured her pack, and helped Clarence with his.

Daddy joined Delia in the yard, and bundled all of their supplies onto Krept.

They departed the barracks, and slipped onto the convoluted streets. The waning moon was their only light. It glinted silver, watching like a baleful, half-lidded eye. The only sounds were the drone of Krept's engine, and the heavy plod of its steel and brass legs.

They approached the western gate.

"Halt." Two guards blocked their path. A younger man that Lily didn't recognize, and an older officer, who'd always been kind to her.

"We're surrendering," Daddy said. "Please, let us pass."

The older man looked at Daddy. "You and Miss Swann are the last two I'd expect to give up," he said, glancing at Lily and Clarence. "But I understand. This place isn't safe. If I had children, I might do the same." He stepped aside, and waved them through. "Good luck to you."

"Thank you," Daddy said.

Lily only looked back once. She wouldn't miss the stronghold, but it had been her home for over a year. The speckled orange glow of thousands of campfires, and the pure white of stars in reflection, were her last glimpses of Weathermann's Stand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 2.8K 43
[ A tactical approach story. ] When he was still a young kid, Harvey Johanson quickly became fond of guns due to his grandfather teaching h...
360K 19.9K 64
**CURRENTLY A FEATURED STORY** highest ranking: #11 in Science fiction ❝true happiness is only achieved without freedom. There is a girl who wakes t...
820 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
158K 7.1K 96
Ellie is a soldier in a world without governments. A generation ago, a series of financial crises caused most of the world’s governments to collapse...