Chapter 6

The attack on Hills Port was an isolated event. Some buildings were destroyed, and there were a few injuries, but no one was killed. Nevertheless, the militia maintained its vigilance.

The robotics team accelerated their efforts. They completed another Krept unit, and sent it to Hills Port, to strengthen their defense.

Days shortened and darkened. The first snow arrived, and a festive atmosphere befell Plumgrove. Despite the looming War, the town observed all of its cherished traditions.

The Fairpoole family invited Delia to their Yuletide celebration. Daddy insisted, knowing she would otherwise be by herself. It was good fortune for the coming year to host a lonely person.

Delia accepted, and it was one of the best holiday gatherings ever.

Weeks flew by, and a chill settled over the valley. The warm clothing Nana made was put to good use. Snow drifted against the sides of houses and barns, layered against fence rails and stone walls. Icicles as long as bayonets fringed the rooftops, and reached like fingers from the lamp posts along Main Street.

Winter in Plumgrove was the best time to be a kid. Lily played outside a lot more with her siblings, and the other children in town.

She turned ten years old, as the muted sunlight of early spring thawed the frozen earth.

The shifting of the seasons brought change, and nothing would be the same again.

It came at dawn, without warning. A synchronized attack, on every capital city still obstinate to the Kaezer. The last free nations crumbled before the fist, sword, and gear of the enemy banner. Within hours, it waved over them all.

The message broadcast across the globe issued one command. "Surrender. The Kaezer is your leader. Bend the knee, or face annihilation."

It came to be known as Black Sky Day, because the sooty exhaust of the robots darkened all hope.

However, the skies over Plumgrove were clear, as she and Daddy hurried to headquarters. They reached the station, and met the somber expressions of Delia and the team. All were fixated on the image above Delia's wrist.

"You need to see this," Gabriel said.

The hologram displayed was of their own leader, President Hollander. He was terrified, humbled to shame, with a pistol against his head.

"And who is the great leader, Hir Hollander?" a heavily accented voice asked. "Please repeat, so that all people will hear the truth."

The pistol clicked.

President Hollander winced. "The Kaezer is the great leader, from this day forth."

"Thank you for serving your purpose. All victory to Hir Kaezer."

Daddy shielded Lily's view as the gunshot cracked.

She gasped, and clung to his arm.

"Are you okay, Sunshine?"

She nodded, overcome with shock.

His hand shivered against her own.

The Kaezer now ruled the known world. With their President assassinated, Amerixca's infrastructure collapsed.

Captain Rutherford called the militia to the yard. All were armed, and ready to defend. The robotic fleet stood with them, and it was an awe-inspiring sight.

"War comes, but we'll be ready for it," the captain shouted. "Death to the Kaezer!" He raised his fist, and was answered with riotous ovation.

The four major towns of Harmony Valley—Hills Port, Amstelwick, Plumgrove, and Cherry Bluff—united in purpose. The captains met, and discussed their strategies. Sentries and guard posts were placed along every road and hillside trail. They dug trenches, built lookouts, and conducted daily drills. There was one viable entrance an invading force could use. It lay at the valley's mouth, near Hills Port. They barricaded the area, and posted a valiant battalion to keep watch at all hours.