Chapter 9

On a crisp fall afternoon, Lily and Clarence returned to the barracks, and went downstairs to the communal room.

Gabriel was off-duty, lounging at the long wooden table. He waved and smiled.

Clarence joined Gabriel in front of the radio. It was time for the latest news broadcast out of Calgary, another of the strongholds.

The announcer's voice was bold, yet hopeful, over the fizzled speaker. "The Kaezer is at our doorstep, but all of the free cities stand united in the cause of liberty. Don't forgive, or forget. The enemy must be driven out of our land, dear friends."

It was nothing unusual or exciting. She took a tin cup from the counter, and dipped it into the kettle of water on the stove.

Gabriel had fetched it from the river that afternoon, and boiled it for their evening use.

She sat beside them to listen.

The radio announcer returned. "We have urgent and alarming news of a widespread outbreak. Thousands have fallen ill. Reports are swarming in, that the water has been tainted. Only stored caches are safe. Repeat. Do not drink the water..."

Right before Lily could drink, Gabriel knocked the cup out of her fingers, and sent it hurtling into the corner with a clatter and splash.

"Don't," he said. He gasped, and clutched his stomach with a trembling hand.

"Gabriel, are you okay?" Clarence's dark eyes widened with concern.

The radio droned on, a foreboding sound.

"You drank it, didn't you?" Lily put a hand on Gabriel's shoulder.

He could only nod. He coughed, fell to his hands and knees, and vomited a swirl of red-stained bile.

Clarence raced to the door. "I'll get help."

Sweat shone upon Gabriel's skin, as he shuddered and groaned. Rivulets of blood dripped from his mouth and nose.

Soon, Daddy and Captain Rutherford arrived, and carried him to his bunk.

Delia poured the tainted water outside. Luckily, no one else drank it.

Within hours, the news traveled around the world. Water now brought death, and chaos erupted. The reserve tanks and cisterns were the only safe sources in Weathermann's Stand. The desperate, thirsty populace pressed daily. Riots broke out.

The militia opened fire to restore order. Many were wounded, and a few were killed. Hatred flared. Anyone in uniform was harassed, no matter where they went.

Worst of all were the constant cries of grief and pain from those who'd ingested the water, and those mourning the dead.

Lily hummed herself to sleep, while covering her ears.

Gabriel's screams and moans were unbearable. On the third day of his suffering, they heard the loud clap of a gunshot.

Everyone ran to the room that Gabriel and the captain shared.

Captain Rutherford stood in the doorway, pale and disturbed.

"He took my pistol, when my back was turned. He...don't go in there, children." His hands trembled as he pushed Lily and Clarence gently down the hall. "Go back to your room. We'll take care of this."

Daddy led them away, and did his best to explain what had happened.

They buried Gabriel quickly, to avoid him being taken in an undignified manner by the collector robots.