Chapter 3

Miss Swann remained condescending toward the robotics team, and they preferred her absence.

Lily had never met someone from the space colonies before. She was curious, despite Miss Swann's arrogant ways.

During the first week, Daddy and the other technicians refined the test unit's configuration, and brought its main engine and actuators to dependable operation. The difficulty lay in the delicate arrangement of the processing network.

Lily's fingers were nimble, and small enough to reach into narrow spaces. She was adept at installing the fragile vacuum tubes in their detailed formations. It was tedious, but she loved it.

The team loved her more for doing it.

When Test performed exceptionally, even Miss Swann gave a few words of praise. It was a rare moment, and did little to soothe the animosity toward her.

On a bright, warm morning, Lily was by herself at the station.

Daddy was in a meeting with the captain, and the others were on break.

She often composed lyrics while she worked. Words and rhythms emerged, and swirled in patterns, like the ones she built inside of the robot.

She lay on her back, upon the floor. Above her was a mesh of wires and circuitry, spaced carefully across a support lattice. They were expanding Test's central controller. After this upgrade, the unit would be on par with Krept 1A.

She sang loudly, believing she was alone.

"Perfect world today, I can't stop smilin',

"See the sun, that sky so blue,

"Time to come out of hidin'.

"Everything's fallin' into place..."

She heard the brisk sound of Miss Swann's approach, stopped singing, and pretended she was intent upon the job.

"You sing well," Miss Swann said. "I like hearing music around here. It's a nice change."

Lily sat up, and dusted herself off. "Thank you, ma'am."

Miss Swann knelt beside her, glancing at the web-like structure hanging above. "You're quite the remarkable girl. Is there anything you can't do?"

"There's a lot of things," Lily said, running a hand through her braids. "I'm a terrible cook. Mama tried to teach me, but my sisters are better than me. Daddy and my Nana know what I really like to do."

"Family is the most precious thing in life," Miss Swann said. "You're fortunate to have a close one."

"Yeah." Lily had many questions, and asked the first one that came to mind. "So, how did you learn about programming?"

"I expected you'd ask this, sooner or later, with the way you always listen in on me." Miss Swann smiled. "You remind me of myself, Lily. When you see something you want, you reach out and take it."

They stared at each other.

Lily knew it was true. She always expressed what she felt, and pursued whatever she desired.

"My father sent me to the finest school he could afford, founded by the renowned Johanna Stonecipher. I learned about programming there, but at a cost. I had to sacrifice much that I loved."

"You're good at what you do," Lily said. "I like to build robots, but I want to build their operating systems, too."

"You can. When I next work with Test, I'll teach you some of the basic code."

"Really? I'd like that."

"Of course. And, please call me Delia. Miss Swann is too formal. I'd like to think you and I can be friends. I don't have many here."

The affinity was awkward at first, but they became close over the following weeks.

Delia invited her to the next programming session, as promised.

Lily sat cross-legged on the floor beside the robot, observing with interest.

Delia wore a display visor over one eye, flipping a sensor-tipped finger as she instructed. "We must first establish the interface. There are many different programming languages, and it can be difficult to determine which is correct. This is a part of what you'll learn."

By afternoon, Lily wore the visor. She watched in amazement as the code flew and adhered across the screen, the system responding to her commands.

"You've got a talent for this, as well," Delia said. "When you're older, you should consider a major at one of Stonecipher's universities. Your aptitude will surely get you accepted."

Delia revealed a secret, on an afternoon when she and Lily were alone. She looked about, to be sure no one was listening.

"Many people don't realize how much power a talented programmer wields," she said. "In the colonies, everything is run by immense systems. The thing to remember is, a system is a system, no matter how complicated. Anyone with the proper hardware and skill can manipulate them. Some programmers have used this to their advantage. I admit, I've indulged in a little accessing mischief myself."

Lily was surprised. "You can break into systems you're not supposed to, and change things how you want?"

"Just remember, when you have a rare and marvelous talent, it can be applied in many different ways," Delia said. "Never let anyone, or anything, limit how you choose to use it."

The advice lingered in Lily's mind, and influenced her perspective on many things.