𝐖𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄, arthur...

By rositastwd

❝the world was on fire and no-one could save me but you.❞ arthur pendragon, seasons one - five. More

000,
season one, act one.
001,
002,
003,
004,
005,
006,
007,
008,
009,
010,
011,
012,
013,
014,
015,
016,
season two, act two.
017,
018,
020,
021,
022,
023,
024,
025,
026,
027,
028,
029,
030,
season three, act three.
031,
032,
033,
034,
035,
036,
037,
038,
039,
040,
041,
042,
season four, act four.
043,
044,

019,

1.8K 93 72
By rositastwd

CHAPTER NINETEEN,
episode two, the once and future queen.

ARTHUR, ISABELLA and gwen sat awkwardly at the table at gwen's house. gwen had made them dinner and was now sweeping the floor, despite isabella telling her not to.

"it's been a long day." arthur decided to break the silence, taking notice of two beds pushed next to each other. isabella silently scolded gwen for that, knowing she did that on purpose.

"i think i will turn in for the night. is this my bed? and isabella's bed here?" he asked, motioning to the two beds as gwen looked up, she looked as if she tried not to cry.

"yes, of course." she replied. "i hope you'll be comfortable. i'm sorry it is not much." she replied as isabella smiled widely at her.

"it's very comfortable. thank you, gwen. where are you staying?" she asked with a frown, noticing her house was quite small.

"oh, my bed is through there." gwen pointed to where a makeshift curtain was.

"okay, well, goodnight, gwen." isabella smiled, giving her a hug before getting into her own bed. merlin hadn't brought her a nightgown so it seemed she would be wearing the same dress she wore all day to bed.

"goodnight isabella." arthur said awkwardly as she laid as far away as possible from him.

"goodnight arthur." she replied just as awkward, gwen chuckled quietly at the interaction from in her makeshift bed. which was actually sacks of grain since she usually slept in the bed that arthur was in, and she had to smuggle an extra one for isabella.

ISABELLA WOKE up the next morning to arthur's snores, making her roll her eyes. it was the first day of the tournament, so she made sure to wake arthur up early.

after they were ready, merlin met them outside. isabella and arthur had their cloaks on as they walked to the tent. merlin and isabella watched as uther and morgana walked up to the stage. she frowned slightly seeing her empty throne.

arthur stood behind them, waiting. all william had to do was ride out with the other knights for introductions and at the very end, whilst arthur would be the one to take part in the tournament.

isabella laughed slightly seeing william unable to keep his horse stand straight. the king did his usual boring speech as william tried to hush the horse, awkwardly patting its head.

he came back and handed arthur the helmet. "they're ready for you, sire." william said as arthur took it and put it on, before heading out.

merlin and isabella watched nervously as arthur went up first, but their nerves soon disappeared as arthur easily won the round, uther looking impressed as she found herself smiling.

"uther looks in awe." merlin said after arthur won yet another round.

"he's amazed. doesn't even realise it's his own son." isabella replied, shaking her head as merlin looked at her.

"so. how is yours and ar—" he began, but was cut off when arthur came back after the tournament was over for the day.

"you must go an acknowledge the crowd." arthur told william as he sat down to rest.

"how do you do that?" the man asked in shock as arthur rolled his eyes.

"you wave, they cheer." he told him, william nodded slightly and headed out, practicing his wave as isabella snorted.

"i do all the work, someone else gets all the praise." arthur said as isabella shared a look with merlin. "sounds familiar." the french woman replied.

"when i win this tournament, i'll reveal my true identity...get the credit i deserve." arthur replied, taking a drink of water merlin handed him.

"of course you will." merlin muttered.

arthur turned around to face him with a sarcastic smile. "well, don't just stand there. help me off with my armour. and remember to polish it before tomorrow. the horse needs grooming. and don't forget to repair the broken lances." he smiled as merlin returned the smile as isabella rolled her eyes and looked out the tent, seeing a man looking around suspiciously.

she made her way back to gwen's house, staying out of sight and helped gwen with making dinner. arthur came back and she sat with him to eat dinner.

"if you don't mind me asking. why are you doing this?" gwen asked arthur who looked down.

"i fear people only respect me because of my title. and no, bella, it is not because i do not visit the village as much as you." he said teasingly as she grinned.

"i don't believe that is true of everyone." gwen replied with a frown.

"well would you tell me if it were?" he asked as gwen shared a look with isabella. "...no." she replied.

"when i'm competing as william, my title doesn't matter. nobody gives me any special treatment. so when i win this tournament..." he began, before correcting himself, "if i win this tournament."

"it will be because i deserve it. not because i am prince arthur." he finished as isabella smiled lightly at him.

she could understand where he was coming from, it must be hard thinking you are only liked or respected because he is royalty. isabella loved being royalty, she used her power well. always making sure everyone around her had everything they need. she would often donate to the people in the villages, and she didn't feel the need to boast about it, she did it silently.

she always visited the stalls, buying countless things she didn't need to help them, and then would give the items to the lower towns. she never felt how arthur did because she knew that she gave the people respect, and they gave it back. she didn't need to compete in tournaments so she never felt like people went easy on her because she never had to do it.

sometimes she felt like people underestimated her power. but she knew, one day, she would be queen and everybody would know how powerful she was. she would make sure of it.

"i think you are brilliant. with or without your title." isabella told him as he looked down at her, his eyes softening.

"well, that's all i need." he joked before getting up.

"i think i'll have a bath now." he said as isabella rolled her eyes at his bluntness.

"that might be difficult seeing as i do not have a bathtub." gwen replied in embarrassment as arthur turned to her in shock.

"really? oh, well, perhaps you could prepare me a bowl of hot water? i take it you have a bowl." he said in a slightly mocking tone as isabella rolled her eyes at him for the millionth time.

"i think i can manage a bowl." gwen snapped back as isabella grinned proudly at her.

THE TOURNAMENT continued and arthur managed to win each round again, this time he was up against sir leon, who she knew he was nervous about since he went easy on him last time.

however, he still won with ease and left sir leon caught up on the stirrups. so that meant 'sir william' was now in the final. arthur came back with a smile and handed william the helmet.

"go on then. your people await you." he said as william grinned and headed out.

"now no one can say sir leon let you win this time." isabella told him as arthur smiled proudly to himself as isabella and merlin shared an amused look.

"seems like they have really taken to him." merlin said as the crowd cheered even louder when william walked out.

"that will change when i reveal my identity." arthur shrugged as merlin rolled his eyes.

"you really miss getting all the attention don't you?" he scoffed as arthur waved him off. "just go and water the horse, will you?" he replied.

isabella went over to the entrance of the tent and notice the man she saw the previous day talking to merlin. "there's something off about him. he keeps appearing everywhere."

arthur hummed in response as they made their way back to gwen's house. "gwen?" isabella called out, not seeing her anywhere.

she looked behind the curtain where gwen said her room was, but paused. "arthur?" she called out as the man came over, looking shocked.

there was no bed, no chair, no mattress. only sacks of grain and an old blanket.

"this is where she has been sleeping since we've been here." isabella said in shock as arthur widened his eyes.

"you didn't even ask, you just took the bloody bed, not thinking it could be her only one!" isabella turned to him in annoyance.

arthur looked at her in disbelief. "she said her bed was in here! how was i supposed to know she was lying to us?"

"you shouldn't need to be asked to think about someone other than yourself. i asked. you were the selfish one who just took it." she replied back as he raised a brow.

"anything else you'd like to complain about?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"yes. you snore like a pig and have the manners of one too. gwen has been so kind letting us into her home, and all you have done is demand things from her. you have claimed titles do not matter and you wish to be respected but you show none to others and expect to have it back!" she exclaimed as he widened his eyes slightly at her outburst.

"is there anything else you'd like to add to that?" he asked, still in shock.

"no. that's it for now." she replied with a huff, looking up at him awkwardly.

he nodded slightly, looking disappointed with himself. "you are right. as you always are. i'm sorry."

"it is not me you should be apologising to." she replied quietly. "i am sorry for making you feel bad."

"oh, really?" he asked sarcastically as she cracked a smile.

"maybe a little." she finished as he smiled lightly at her.

the door opened and gwen came back with dinner, saying she'd be with estella and morgana tonight as morgana had another bad dream the night before.

isabella frowned, missing morgana despite not being away from her long. "she keeps mentioning you. asking you when you'll be back." gwen smiled.

"i miss her. i'll be back tomorrow. after arthur wins the tournament of course." she grinned as arthur smiled lightly, before turning to gwen.

"i'm sorry for how i've been behaving lately. i've been rude and arrogant. i hope you accept my apology. i am trying to be better." arthur told her as gwen looked shocked, glancing at isabella who smiled.

"apology accepted. see you both tomorrow." she replied, curtsying in respect before leaving.

"you never know. this could be us in twenty years. everyone hates us because of how arrogant you are so we are now peasants having tiny rationed dinners in a small hut." isabella spoke as she began eating.

arthur rolled his eyes with a scoff, but laughed loudly. neither of them noticing the suspicious man aiming a crossbow at prince arthur through the windows. however, thankfully for them, guards had found him so he had to run away.

"i respect you for apologising." she spoke up.

he smiled in response, "do i have any other annoying habits you wish to tell me about?"

"none." she replied. "my main concern is that you snore so loudly. we really need to do something about that." she replied.

he laughed at her words, shaking his head. "i cannot help it if i snore."

"oh, please. there must be a cure. when we are king and queen there is no way i am surviving that." she exaggerated as he rolled his eyes again.

"arthur!" merlin exclaimed as he ran in, making them jump.

"there is an assassin in camelot. he is here to kill you." merlin told him in a panicked tone as isabella widened her eyes. "what?" she exclaimed in shock.

"the assassin killed a guard. your father said odin sent him." merlin explained.

"why would odin want you dead?" isabella asked in a confused tone.

arthur turned around, "because i killed his son. odin's son challenged me to a fight. i had no quarrel with him. i asked him to withdraw. perhaps he felt he had to prove himself. i can still see his face." arthur replied as isabella and merlin shared a worried look.

"he looked so scared." arthur continued as isabella walked over to him.

"you must not blame yourself." she said as merlin nodded.

"arthur, no one but us and gwen know where you are." merlin reassured. "if the assassin can't find you, he cannot kill you."

"thank you merlin. that'll be all." arthur replied as merlin nodded and left as isabella glanced at him.

"do not worry. we are safe here." arthur told her reassuringly as she nodded slowly, not looking convinced.

THE NEXT morning was the final day of the tournament. isabella and arthur got ready before she walked over to him with a small smile, giving him a handkerchief.

"i thought you might wear it for luck. you do not have to. it's just...there." she awkwardly said, handing it to him as he smiled down at her.

"i shall wear it with pride." he promised. she nodded and watched as he walked to the door to leave.

but then he paused, slowly turning back to face her. she looked up at him nervously as he walked over to her, cupping her cheeks and pulling her into a kiss, the sunlight reflecting through their faces as she froze slightly, shocked.

she didn't know what to do—should she kiss him back? she wasn't sure. however, she knew that it felt right. so, her racing heart took over and she placed a hand on his cheek and kissed him back.

after she pulled away, he glanced at her with a slightly shocked look, looking away, and then back to her. "um." she began awkwardly. "good luck."

"you too." he replied, before frowning at his words, glancing at her.

they both broke out into laughter, weirdly the happiest they had felt in a while. he squeezed her hand before turning to leave as she smiled to herself.

she put on her cloak and headed to the tent where merlin and william were, they were already watching arthur in the tournament.

"you seem happy." merlin raised a brow as isabella glanced at him with an annoyed look.

"do i not look happy usually?" she asked as he closed his mouth and shook his head.

"she is always smiling." william agreed with a shrug as isabella nodded at him, and merlin shrugged in agreement.

"somethings different. oh, god, you had the night to yourselves—that's disgusting! that's why you are so happy!" merlin exclaimed, gagging as the girl gasped at him.

"merlin!" she exclaimed as william sniggered and she looked at him in disbelief.

"whatever you are implying is not true!" she replied as he apologised immediately and she shook her head at him.

isabella looked out of the curtain to see arthur go up again. however, she widened her eyes in horror as the opposing knight's lance stabbed into him, making him loose his balance.

isabella attempted to rush out as merlin pulled her back. "you cannot blow your cover. i'll bring him back." he promised as tears filled her eyes and nodded, sharing a worried look with william.

"his lance pierced my amour." arthur said between breaths as merlin helped him inside. they all looked shocked.

"arthur, you're loosing too much blood." she realised, getting the handkerchief she gave him earlier and pressing it against the wound.

"do what you can...i have to be back on the course in five minutes or i forfeit the match." he whispered as she shook her head.

"you cannot possibly joust. you're too badly injured. arthur i am begging you. please, not this time." she said, he shook his head with a pained chuckle. 

"i have never withdrawn from a match." he replied, wincing from pain. "i do not intend to start now."

"you would risk your life to protect your pride?" she asked in disbelief, tears in her eyes as he glanced at her. "you have nothing more to prove."

his eyes softened, but he shook his head. "i have everything to prove. to myself, to camelot...and to you."

he took the helmet from william and got up as she shook her head, watching him go with a pained look on her face.

"you love him." william spoke up quietly as she frowned, turning to him in shock.

"what did you say?" she asked, looking at him in disbelief.

"i said you love him. you remind me of how my parents look at each other." he said as she grimaced.

"that makes me feel rather old." she replied as he mumbled an apology. "and i am choosing to ignore your opinion." she finished.

just then, merlin burst in, "where's arthur?"

"he's gone to joust." isabella replied as merlin widened his eyes.

"he's jousting against the assassin!" he exclaimed. isabella widened her eyes and put her cloak hood on, following him out to stand hidden from the crowds.

"merlin. i cannot save him from this distance. you're the only one with magic without any items. do something. distract the assassin. anything." she whispered as merlin nodded at her.

arthur and the assassin went to joust again, clear that arthur was injured, merlin whispered an incantation and the assassin's girth broke as arthur's lance hit him, making him fall off, and arthur managing to hit him with his lance.

isabella smiled at merlin and it was clear arthur had won, clapping for him. "how can i heal him without him seeing? i mean, it's not exactly very secretive. wind blows, rain pours and everything." she muttered bitterly.

"leave it to gaius." merlin chuckled as she nodded in relief. "although i'm sure there's a way for you to learn how to do it more secretly. maybe by just saying the spell."

isabella hummed quietly in thought as merlin helped arthur in and they explained what happened. "you were jousting against the assassin. he killed sir alynor and took his place..." merlin told him as arthur looked at them in shock.

they heard the cheers from the stages and merlin turned to face him. "the people are waiting for their champion. it's time to reveal yourself." merlin smiled lightly at arthur.

arthur looked up at isabella, before turning to william. "you must go and collect the trophy." arthur said kindly as william looked overjoyed and shocked.

"i thought this was going to be your moment of glory?" isabella tilted her head.

he looked at her, an unknown emotion in his eye. "perhaps this is a time for humility. go on." he said to william who beamed happily, "thank you!" he exclaimed, practically running out.

isabella and arthur shared a smile as they all watched william smiling at all the love the people of camelot gave him. william flexed his muscles and even the king clapped for him as they all laughed.

"come on arthur. it is time for us to return home." isabella smiled up at her prince. he took her arm and they headed to the castle, making up a believable story for the king.

"the assassin attacked us as we returned to camelot. luckily isabella was unharmed." arthur explained to king uther who had asked about their journey and arthur's injury. "i was injured whilst killing him."

"odin must be made to pay for his actions. we must strike back at him." uther replied.

"surely you understand the grief he feels for the loss of his son. we should try and make peace with him?" isabella suggested as the king looked at her thoughtfully.

"there has been enough bloodshed." arthur finished with a nod.

"perhaps you are right. how was the rest of your trip? fruitful?" he asked as arthur nodded.

"very. i learnt a great deal." he replied, looking down at isabella who smiled in response.

"how was the tournament?" isabella asked curiously, putting on a believable act.

"excellent. we have a new champion, sir william of deira." the king replied as merlin and isabella shared a smile.

"i'm sorry we missed all the excitement." arthur chuckled as the king nodded slightly.

"i'm afraid i will be returning to my chambers. me and morgana have a lot of catching up to do." isabella grinned at the ward who beamed and got up from her throne, not letting the king reply before they both rushed out.

"tell me everything!" morgana demanded with a grin.

isabella cracked a smile. "okay. well, prepare yourself. there is lots to tell."

THE SHIP HAS SAILED

next chapter is  :(  idk how to feel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20K 413 20
Arthur Pendragon wasn't always a prat, he was a kind, loving, fun Prince, but something happened that changed him into a, what would Merlin call him...
216K 4.6K 101
Based on the entire BBC Merlin series. A story about Merlin and Arthur's adventures but with a twist Merlin has a twin sister with the same powers. A...
185K 4.7K 70
. "Sometimes I wonder if you've missed me as much as I've missed you."...
604K 21.2K 130
"For both sides of the coin to reveal their full potential, a light must shine upon them." ------ [Merlin - Season 1+] [Arthur Pendragon x OC]