Auburn RWBY (RWBY x Male OC...

By AzureEclipse09

On hold until Volume 10. Son of Miguel (L/N) and wielder of the Silver Eyes, Azure (L/N) is a young man who d... More

Bio
Meeting the Rose
Shining Beacon
Initiation
A Badge and A Burden
In the Forever Falls
Stray Cat and Lone Wolf
Black and White (Volume 1 Finale)
Best Day Ever
Investigation
Dance Dance Infiltration
Search and Destroy
Breach at Vale (Volume 2 Finale)
Round One, Challengers!
Brawl in the Family
Fall
Battle of Beacon
End of the Beginning (Volume 3 Finale)
The Next Step
Tipping Point
A Much Needed Talk
No Safe Haven (Volume 4 Finale)
Welcome to Haven
Lighting the Fire
Reunions and Rest
Calm Before the Storm
Battle of Haven (Volume 5 Finale)
Special Chapter: Ruby's Birthday
Argus Limited
Alone in the Woods
A Dead End
The Lady in the Shoe
Our Way (Volume 6 Finale)
Special Chapter: Azure's Book
Team AVRN Volume 7
The Greatest Kingdom
Pomp and Circumstance
A Night Off
Cordially Invited
Out in the Open
The Enemy of Trust (Volume 7 Finale)
Divided Teams
Faults
Our Message
In the Dark
Taking a Risk
The Final Word (Volume 8 Finale)
Strange New World
In the Ever After
Checkmate
The Cat and the Herbalist
Unexpected Arrivals
Confessions
Trouble
Reawakening (Volume 9 Finale)
*Important Discussion*
AVRN Chibi - Azure
AVRN Chibi - Vert
AVRN Chibi - Rosa
AVRN Chibi - Nero
AVRN Chibi - Team AVRN
AVRN Chibi - Extras (Finale)

Friends and Family

280 6 0
By AzureEclipse09

Did someone say "family"? Jokes aside, this is the next part for this volume. We will be getting to reunite some friends together. That's nice. Okay then, let's get to it!
————————————
*3rd Person POV*

Seagulls call as a ship moves over peaceful blue waters. A pan of the boat from bow to stern reveals passengers strolling across both the upper and mid decks.

Blake rests her hands on the rail and stares out at the ocean. She blinks and looks over her right shoulder, somewhat startled. Two kids laugh over a joke. Blake almost smiles and turns to look back at the ocean. Footsteps approach her.

Captain: "Traveling alone?"

Blake jumps and grips the hilt of Gambol Shroud. She halts her action when she sees the captain of the boat, holding his hands up.

Captain: "Now, now, no threat here. Just here to chat."

Blake hesitates before relaxing her posture with a roll of her eyes.

Blake: "And why is that?"

The Captain lowers his arms and then twists to lean idly onto the rail.

Captain: "Well, not many people travel by boat on their own. It can be quite a lonely voyage. But I found those that do tend to have the more... interesting stories."

Blake turns away from the Captain.

Blake: "Maybe it's just... better for some people to be alone."

The two kids run behind Blake laughing and she gasps again, not expecting the noise behind her. She turns and blinks at them trying to reset her calm.

Captain: (laughing) "Maybe, but with your paranoia, I think a few friendly faces wouldn't hurt."

Blake: "Who says I'm paranoid?!"

Captain: (laughing again) "No one, dear, no one. I'll leave you be." He turns and walks away, then stops. "But uh, fair warning: these trips can be awfully boring."

The Captain continues on his way and Blake stares after him. Once he's gone, she turns and looks at the ground for a few seconds before reaching up and undoing her bow. She holds the ribbon out over the railing.

Blake: "Won't be needing this."

Blake lets go and watches the ribbon swirl in the air once before landing on the water. She turns and walks away. As she passes, two hooded figures are shown to be watching her from a distance.

Beside the ribbon on the ocean, the large scales of a sea creature are seen moving just above the surface. After they pass, the ribbon is gone.

*Over with Yang...*

She is sitting on a green couch in her home on Patch. She looks at the stack of three books on her right and instead picks up the remote control to her left. With a click, the projected scene comes on, revealing a news segment from the VBC channel. Glynda Goodwitch is shown unsuccessfully piecing together a building. Across the bottom of the screen, it reads: 'BEACON INACCESSIBLE.'

Reporter 01: "...with no end in sight. Try as they might, the local Huntsmen and Huntresses can't seem to get a hold of the situation at Beacon Academy."

Yang clicks the remote. As the next reporter speaks, the large lettering across the screen reads: CCT Repairs "Underway". The subheading reads: "Atlas officials working on solution, but not optimistic."

Reporter 02: "...though the fail-safes have supported wireless communication within the kingdom, the loss of the CCT Tower continues to prevent contact with the outside world. Talks with Atlas officials regarding repairs have so far—"

Yang clicks again, cutting off the reporter and bringing up yet another news segment. A horned anchorman speaks above the caption: "Sending Citizens Home." The corner caption has the logo for VOX News.

Reporter 03: "...Vale council voted this week to continue to ban any air traffic that does not have a direct correlation with evacuation. The council has made it clear that they feel—"

Yang clicks again. Her eyes widen and she sits up at this particular news about what happened back then.

Lisa: "Multiple rumors continue to circulate as to who was behind the attacks at the Vytal Festival Tournament. While no one knows for sure, officials have confirmed that high-ranking White Fang member, Adam Taurus, was present for the attack. Any and all attempts to bring him into custody have been met with brutal force—"

Yang turns the news off. She sits there holding the remote, and a door clicks open.

Tai: "I'm home!"

Yang sets the remote down and leans her head backward on the couch, looking up at the newcomer that way.

Yang: "Hey, Dad."

Tai is carrying three boxes with two bags hanging from his forearms.

Tai: "Guess what came in today!" The door shuts behind him as he walks into the living room.

Yang: "What?"

Tai: "I can't wait for you to try this."

He walks into another room to unload, while on the couch Yang looks somewhat interested. Tai returns, carrying one long white box. He sets it on the coffee table in front of Yang, revealing the Kingdom of Atlas symbol on it. She looks at it and doesn't move.

Tai: "Well?"

Yang: "It's... for me?"

Tai: "For you and you only."

Yang lifts the lid off the box to reveal a robotic right arm. Yang looks it over, somewhat wide-eyed while her father gushes. She blinks and her eyes droop a bit, revealing she's more distressed than pleased.

Tai: "Brand new, state of the art Atlas tech. You know, I thought I was gonna have to pull some strings, call in a few favors, but you earned this one all on your own, kiddo."

Yang: "Huh?"

Tai: "Before I could even talk to him, General Ironwood already had one of his top scientists working on this, for you. He wanted me to tell you that you fought admirably. You should be proud of yourself."

Yang looks up at her father but says nothing.

Tai: "Well? You going to try it on?"

Yang: "I uh... I'm not feeling too great right now. Maybe later?"

Tai deflates a bit and puts his hand to the back of his neck as he sighs and considers how best to respond.

Tai: "Well, alright."

Yang gets up and walks up the stairs, Tai giving her an encouraging smile as she passes in front of him. She pauses partway up the steps, turning in his direction.

Yang: "Thanks, Dad." She continues upstairs as a visibly disheartened Tai bows his head.

Later, Yang sweeps the porch, adept at it with one arm. She pauses to wipe her brow and sigh. The next scene shows her getting mail out of the mailbox at the end of their driveway. Lastly, she's in the kitchen, rinsing a glass. As she lifts it out of the sink, it slips out of her fingers and she gasps. When it hits the floor and breaks, it triggers a flashback. Against the blackness there's a gray slash moving from upper left to bottom right and the red markings from Adam's mask glow while the sound of a sword loudly resonates.

In the kitchen, Yang rears back with a cry. She clings to the countertop and pants, out of breath due to fright. Her fist comes down against the countertop, and Yang gets herself under control.

From the doorway, Tai watches with concern before turning away without saying a word.

*Back with Blake...*

It is dusk, and the boat continues its journey on the smooth water. Blake is once again on the middle deck looking out at the ocean. A Faunus couple walk behind her and she watches them, slightly less twitchy than before.

It's when she's about to leave that she senses she is being watched by someone on the upper deck. It's the hooded figures, and she immediately takes out Gambol Shroud.

Blake: "Who's there?!"

The hooded figures turn and run for it, with one of them pulling the other, blonde and black hair somewhat visible beneath the hoods. Blake stares up at the deck, no longer watching the ocean. She does not notice the dorsal fins of a giant sea creature momentarily surface. However, she feels the boat rocking on the wake it created and lets out a grunt as she tries to keep her balance.

The creature's long-necked shadow looms over Blake as she turns around to face the water. Its shadow also falls on a member of the crew on duty in the crow's nest, who is looking up at it in horror.

Crew Member 01: "RED ALERT!!"

The alert immediately sounds. Two red lights next to a speaker pulse with the sound. The Captain and his First Mate come running out and look at the water from the upper deck, just above Blake. The Captain murmurs as the shadow falls over him.

Captain: "By the gods..."

The long-necked creature is revealed to be a large Sea Feilong. It has a pattern of glowing red lines along the scales of its neck, and its eyes glow yellow. The Grimm swings its head back and forth, roaring and spreading its short forearms outward.

Captain: "All hands to battle stations!"

First Mate: "Sir, we've never fought a Grimm this big!"

Captain: "We've never seen something this big! But we'll give 'er a fight nonetheless!"

Blake springs into action, running off the boat and into the air. She creates one of her clones to give her added upward momentum, flinging Gambol Shroud forward in its kusarigama form. Attached to the ribbon on her wrist, it embeds itself into the Grimm's neck.

Blake swings above the Grimm and shoots it in the back of its neck. It roars. Blake lands on the crow's nest while the Captain steers from the bridge.

He keeps the ship stabilized in the Grimm's wake and steps outside to get another look at it. Blake still shoots it while it arcs back into the water. The side of the ship opens up and the cannons come out.

Blake continues her assault on the sea creature, once again swinging and shooting. The ship's cannons fire but are mostly ineffective. Blake falls back onto the ship's deck, lands on her back, bounces, and quickly gets herself back onto her feet. She discovers that her left shoulder is hurt when she moves to stand.

Captain: "Hold steady men, it's not done with us yet! GET THE HEAVY CANNON LOADED!!" The First Mate changes from being nervous to battle-ready upon hearing this order.

The largest cannon on the ship rises up through a trapdoor on the deck, extends itself, and aims at the Grimm. The Grimm's dorsal fin splits apart and extra bone unfolds, revealing two wings. The Sea Feilong lets out a roar as it flies, its beating wings sending a gush of air at the ship. Blake cries out as she hangs on with her hurt left arm.

Captain: "Heavy cannon, OPEN FIRE!"

The heavy cannon shoots, but the Grimm easily evades it. It opens its mouth and an electric ball forms.

Blake readies to launch herself at it, but one of the hooded figures lands on her head and uses her as a launch pad.

Blake: "Hey!"

The figure grunts and the cloak falls back, revealing Sun underneath. Midair, he activates his energy clones.

Blake: "Sun?!"

Sun and his clones land on the Grimm's head. The two clones pull on the topmost tendrils of the head while Sun grabs its upper lip.

Sun: "Not today, pal!"

When the Sea Feilong releases its electric blast, it goes harmlessly into the air, rather than at the ship.

Blake: "What are you doing?!"

From atop the enraged Grimm's snout, Sun answers her while holding onto the two tendrils his now-disappeared clones had grabbed.

Sun: "Oh, uh, you know, just... hanging out!"

The Grimm manages to get a small electrical charge around Sun and he lets go, shouting as he falls. Blake gasps and immediately springs into action again. She jumps onto and off the railing, using Gambol Shroud's kusarigama form on the crow's nest to swing herself around and catch Sun midair. They land on nearby rocks, with her holding him bridal style.

Sun: "My hero!"

Blake: "You're not supposed to be here!"

???: "But I'm glad we did." The second cloaked figure lands next to them and takes off their disguise, revealing Nero underneath.

Blake: "Nero?!"

Sun: "Well, it looks like you can use all the help you can get!"

Blake glares at him and then rolls her eyes as she drops Sun.

Blake: "Ugh. Just shut up and fight! You too, Nero!"

Blake and Nero run towards the ship in the water, where the Grimm is firing electric blasts at it. Sun is on the ground, striking a pose on his side with his hand propping up his head.

Sun: "Yes, ma'am!"

On the ship, the Captain is steering while two of his crew are looking at displays.

First Mate: "Starboard defenses are down, sir!"

Captain: "We still got the heavy cannon?"

Crew Member 02: "Aye, but it's moving too fast! We can't land a hit!"

Captain: "Argh. How about the engines?"

First Mate: "Fully functional, Captain!"

Captain: "Well alright, then!"

On the deck, Blake prepares to counter a hit from the Grimm's electric blast, but Nero stabs his sword into the ground and creates an ice wall. The electric blast gets stopped by the ice as it then breaks apart. Afterwards, Sun jumps on the deck and lands on the heavy cannon, resting his staff on his shoulder with a crooked grin.

Captain: "Huntsmen!"

Sun, Blake, and Nero turn to the man who has come out onto the upper deck calling them.

Captain: "If you can clip its wings and draw it out towards the bow, we could take it!"

Blake and Nero turn away from the Captain to look up at Sun.

Sun: "I mean, you're the ones with the swords."

Blake: "Ugh."

Nero: "All right."

Sun spins his weapon back into a holstered position and runs toward the Grimm.

Sun: "Now or never!"

Sun activates three clones and jumps into the air. The first clone springs Blake upward to the second clone, which does the same. The third clone swings her up. Sun waits, laughing and opening up his arms, but then loses his smile in confusion.

Sun: "Huh?"

Blake, instead of heading toward him, directs herself above him and lands on his shoulders. They sink a few feet while he grunts and Blake leaps upward off of him. High above the Sea Feilong, she begins her descent, avoiding the electric blasts it shoots at her. While it is distracted by Blake, Nero creates an ice ramp that he uses to launch himself towards its left wing. Blake runs down its right wing, slicing through the thin membrane, and Nero aims for the joint connecting the left wing to its body and slices it off from the Grimm.

Sun smirks as he waits for Blake on the rock she's readying to land on and catches her. The impact causes the rock surface to crack around them while he's left holding her bridal style. Blake smiles at him until he speaks.

Sun: "This is the part where you say it." She turns her head away.

Blake: "Ugh." Nero lands next to the two.

Nero: "We gotta move."

The Grimm moves around them, causing the precarious rocky area to collapse. Blake and Nero are on the move again, leaving Sun behind.

Sun: "Okay, maybe later!"

Sun jumps off the collapsing rock. The Sea Feilong swims after them, knocking rocks down as he goes. The Captain watches from the bridge through a spyglass before throwing a handle and increasing the boat's speed. It sails beside the destructive Grimm, keeping apace.

Sun continues to hop around, avoiding the Grimm's attacks until one more move puts him directly in front of its open mouth. Blake swings in on her ribbon and gets him out of reach. The Grimm prepares a blast to get them both in one shot when it is completely frozen by Nero, who had his sword in the ocean that created an ice trail leading straight to the Sea Feilong.

Captain: "Fire!"

The heavy cannon fires and hits the frozen Grimm dead on. Its upper half is blasted to pieces, and it dies immediately. The Captain, the First Mate and Crew Member 02 all cheer. The cheer is upheld by the passengers on the ship who also join in with applause. On their rock, Sun celebrates while Blake smiles and lowers her head in relief. Nero watches the two with a smile as the ice from the Grimm breaks and falls into the ocean.

Sun: "Ha-ha! Up top!"

Blake turns and glares at him as he holds his hand up to her.

Sun: "Eh?"

With a cry, Blake swings her arm around to slap him in the face.

It is nighttime on the middle deck of the ship. Blake is at the railing again, only this time joined by Nero as she faces sideways.

Sun: "Seriously, it was no big deal!" He said to two of the Faunus passengers.

Sun: "Just enjoy the rest of your trip and everything will be cool! We got this!"

The two Faunus, a male with horns and a female with rabbit ears, wave goodbye and turn away. Sun struts over to Blake and Nero.

Sun: "You'd think they'd never seen a fight before."

Blake: "What are you two doing here?"

Nero: "I'm here for the trip home."

Sun: "Diggin' the new outfit, by the way!" He said to Blake, but then points to her ears. "Never did like the bow." She slaps his hand away.

Blake: "Sun!"

Sun: "Geez!"

Blake: "Have you two been following me?!"

Sun: "We saw you run off. The night Beacon Tower fell. Once we landed in Vale, you made sure everyone was okay. And then you just took off, without saying anything."

Blake: "I had to. You wouldn't understand."

Sun: "No, I get it! The moment you left, I knew exactly what you were doing!"

Blake smiles at him, pleased at feeling understood.

Sun: "You're going on a one-woman rampage against the White Fang!"

Blake's happy expression falls.

Blake: "What?"

Sun: "You always felt like the Fang was your fight. They show up, trash your school, hurt your friends. It makes perfect sense!"

Blake: "I can't believe you."

Sun: "But there's no way I'm letting you do this alone! It's an honorable approach, for sure, but you're going to need someone to watch your back. And that's where we come in!" He puts his arm around her. "Us Faunus got to stick together, after all."

Blake: "You're wrong, Sun." She pushes his arm away. "You're so, so wrong." She turns her back on him and walks away.

Sun: "What are you..."

Nero: "She's not going after the White Fang."

Sun: "Seriously?" She nods and thanks Nero.

Blake: "I need to sort some things out."

Sun: "Then why not do it with your team? Your friends?"

Blake: "You're one to talk! Assuming Neptune, Sage, and Scarlet aren't hiding below deck!"

Sun: "You really think I could get Neptune on the ocean? They flew back to Mistral! I told them I'd catch up! It's not the first time I left them to take a boat!"

Blake then looks at Nero.

Blake: "What about you, Nero? Did you tell your team about this?"

Nero: "I told Vert and Rosa. I also told Yang and the others in case if they see Azure so that they can pass on the message to him."

Blake nods at him in understanding.

Sun: "So, if you're not going after the White Fang, where are you going?"

Blake: "Home, to Menagerie." Nero nods at this.

Sun: "Well, I'm coming with you. The Grimm are getting worse; you saw it yourself! And just because you're not going after the Fang doesn't mean they won't be coming for you! Besides, I'm... kind of already on the boat."

Blake: "There's really no stopping you?"

Sun: "Nope! This is going to be great! Never been in Menagerie before! It'll be a regular journey to the east! Yeah, I like the sound of that."

*Back with Yang...*

Yang awakens with a gasp, having woken up from a nightmare. She is in her room, lying on top of her bed. The robotic arm given to her by General Ironwood rests on her bedside table, out of the box. Yang looks at it for a moment before turning her face away. She hears laughter coming from downstairs.

Yang heads downstairs to discover Professors Oobleck and Port sitting at her kitchen table and laughing with her father, Tai.

Port: "And, and, and then, in comes Qrow, wearing a skirt! I was just a TA, I-I didn't know what to do, so I just... I just left the room to laugh!"

Yang comes to the kitchen door while the three laugh.

Tai: "We told him it was a kilt! He'd never worn a uniform before, so he didn't know!"

Oobleck: "That is terrible! What is wrong with you!?"

Tai: "Hey! The girls all said he had nice legs! I did that jerk a favor! Besides, that's not even the best part! See, then we-" Port puts his right leg on the tabletop, cutting off Tai.

Port: "Like what you see?" The three laugh and Port loses his balance. He tries to save himself from falling, but ends up on the floor.

There's even more laughter. Tai claps from mirth and Port joins in the hilarity from the floor. Yang giggles too, covering her mouth, but the three teachers become alerted to her presence. Oobleck stands while Port gets up off the floor.

Port: "Oh, uh, Miss Xiao Long! Uh, please, join us."

Yang enters while Oobleck laughs, a little bit embarrassed.

Oobleck: "Oh, yes, yes, pull up a chair. Please, pull up a chair."

Yang: "I'm good." She hoists herself backward up onto the kitchen counter, beside where her father stands. Port and Oobleck sit back down.

Yang: "So, what are you doing here?"

Oobleck: "Despite popular belief, teachers do have a life outside the classroom."

Port: "Professor Goodwitch is working 'round the clock to restore Beacon to its former glory! But, Mistral wasn't built in a day. And we all need rest from time to time."

Tai: "Now look, let's not worry about that right now. So, there we were, standing in the auditorium, looking at Qrow, wearing a skirt. Then Oz tells everyone, "It's time to work on our landing strategy!""

Oobleck: "The Branwen twins have always been... interesting, to say the least."

Port: "That sure didn't seem to stop young Tai."

Tai: "Hey, come on, man, she's right here."

Port: "Oh, please! She's a mature young woman! If she can handle combat, she can handle a few jabs at her old man!"

Tai: "That's not the issue, Pete! And besides, she's still a teenager!"

Yang: ""She" is also in the room, and can be directly spoken to. And I think I've been through enough to be considered an adult at this point."

Tai: (sighing) "Adult or not, you've still got a long way to go before you're ready for the real world."

Yang: "Oh my gosh! Does every father figure have the same three condescending phrases?"

Tai: "Yeah! But we only use them when we mean it!"

Port and Oobleck look at each other as father and daughter argue, a touch uncomfortable. Oobleck takes a sip from his mug while Port pulls at his collar.

Yang: "Is that so?"

Tai: "As a matter of fact, it is so! If you honestly think that you're ready to go out there on your own, ha, well I guess you lost some brain cells along with that arm."

Yang gasps and pulls back from her father's face while a stunned Port leans forward and Oobleck's mouth drops open and his glasses slip down. All three stare at Tai for a few seconds.

Yang: "You... jerk!" She playfully punches Tai, and the father and daughter duo laugh together.

Oobleck: (whispering) "Are we finally talking about the Goliath in the room?"

Tai and Yang look at each other and then laugh. Relieved laughter comes from both Port and Oobleck.

Port: "Oh, Miss Xiao L— Yang, if you don't mind me asking, why haven't you tried on the arm yet?"

Oobleck: "Oh, yes, yes! A piece of Atlas technology given out like that is rare indeed! Not to mention the effort it took to deliver it here. It seems a great many people want to see you returned to normal."

Yang: "I'm... scared."

Tai takes a sideways step closer to Yang, watching and listening.

Yang: "Everyone keeps talking about me getting back to normal. And I appreciate it, but... this is normal now." Oobleck and Port exchange sad, knowing glances.

Yang: "It's just taking me a while to get used to it."

Tai: "Well, normal is what you make of it."

Yang: "What is that supposed to mean? Do you want me to just pretend like nothing happened? I lost a part of me. A piece of me is gone. And it's never coming back."

Tai: "You're right. It's not coming back. But that doesn't have to stop you from becoming who you wanna be. You're Yang Xiao Long, my sunny little dragon." He puts his hand on his daughter's shoulder.

Tai: "You can do whatever you put your mind to. So whenever you're ready to stop moping, and get back out there, I'll be there for you."

Yang: "I... I..."

Port: "Fear is like any other emotion. It comes and goes. It's all in how you handle it. Why, even I find myself wrestling with that emotion from time to time."

Yang does not seem convinced.

Yang: "Really? You?"

Oobleck: (whispering) "He's afraid of mice."

Port: "They bring only disease and famine!"

Yang laughs while Port rants about the creepiness of mice. Tai watches her.

Port: "And don't even get me started on their tails! So hairless, and simply unnatural!"

Oobleck: "Port, I assure you, you are safe. There's no mice here right now."

Yang is now taking the last steps at the top of the stairs. She turns partially and lifts her hand to those below.

Yang: "Goodnight!"

The arm on the bedside table is the first thing she sees when she walks into her room. She looks at it for a moment but then moves to the window when she hears the front door to the house open followed by the voices of the three men. She decides to stand out of side beside the window and listen.

Port: "Thanks for having us over, Tai."

Tai: "Any time. You're always welcome."

Oobleck: "It may be a while before we return. There is still much work to be done at the school."

Port: "I hesitate to ask, but is there any word from young Miss Rose?" Behind Tai, Yang moves into visibility at her bedroom window.

Tai: "Not yet."

Oobleck: "Have you thought about going after her? Trying to bring her home?"

Tai: (sighs) "I worry about her..." He then smiles. "...but I know she's in good hands." He says, knowing that Azure is with her. "Besides, I've got to... look after some things." As he glances toward Yang's bedroom window, she moves out of sight again and squeezes her right upper arm, looking dejected.

The next morning, Tai is outside the house, watering his bed of sunflowers. Yang comes out, wearing the robotic arm. She uses it automatically to shade her eyes from the sun, and then looks down at the metal hand interestedly, moving the fingers around. Tai stands and looks at her.

Tai: "Okay. Let's get started."

*Now with Team RANJR...*

On a path through the woods, Team RANJR moves forward with Ruby looking at a map.

Ruby: "Come on, guys! If we pick up the pace, we can hit the next town before sunset!"

Jaune: "Assuming it's still there."

Ruby: "Of course it'll be there. This one's supposed to be pretty big! Hee-gan...bayn-a."

Azure: "It's Higanbana, Ruby."

Ren: "It's a well protected village with a popular inn."

Nora: "Which means, no camping in the rain!"

Ruby: "See? Everything's going to be fine!"

Jaune: "You know, we've had a lot of ups and downs. But things could be a lot worse. I really thought we'd see more Grimm."

Ren: "As did I."

Azure: "That's a good sign if I know one."

Nora: "I guess our luck is finally turning around!"

The scene changes to Team RANJR being viewed from above, a rocky outcropping just on the edge of the view.

Nora: "To Higanbana!"

Jaune and Ren: "To Higanbana!"

Azure: "To Higanbana!"

Ruby: "To Higanban... ban-a!"

Azure pats her head.

Azure: "You almost had it."

A Beowolf stomps into view and growls at the five kids. Just as it is about to leap, it is stabbed through by Qrow. Three disintegrating bodies of other Beowolves are just behind him. A black raven caws from a tree branch on eye level with Qrow, catching his attention. He looks at it and it flies off, following RANJR.

Qrow: (scoffing) "Luck."

It's raining on the village of Higanbana. Through the window of an inn, the five kids are shown silently discussing with the proprietor. A backward zooms brings the visual out into the street, and through yet another window being viewed from the inside of a tavern. Qrow sits at a table, watching.

A waitress sets a glass with liquor and ice in front of him.

Qrow: "Oh, I didn't o—"

Waitress: "From the woman upstairs. Red eyes. Said you wouldn't mind bottom shelf."

Qrow turns and looks up, but then turns back.

Qrow: "Thanks."

Waitress: (winking) "But I went ahead and gave you top. Lucky you."

With a pleased smirk, Qrow watches the waitress as she walks away. After she is gone, he looks through the two windows to see no one visible in the lobby of the inn.

Qrow: "Yeah."

He takes his glass and heads upstairs. A woman with red eyes and a red and black outfit waits for him at one of the tables, her mask atop it.

Woman: "Hello, brother."

Qrow stares at her from the top of the stairs for a moment before moving to her.

Qrow: "Raven." He addressed her by her name.

He pulls the chair that's beside her and drags it to a position across from her instead. With his hand on the back of the chair, he simply looks at her expectantly. Raven rolls her eyes and moves her mask to the side. Qrow sits down.

Qrow: "So, what do you want?"

Raven: "A girl can't just catch up with her family?"

Qrow: "She can, but you're not. Now how 'bout we get on with it? Unless you plan on keeping these comin'." He sets the glass down.

Raven: "Does she have it?"

Qrow doesn't answer right away, instead running his fingertip along the edge of his glass.

Qrow: "Did you know Yang lost her arm?"

Raven: "That's not—"

Qrow: "Rhetorical question, I know you know. It's just obnoxious that you'd bring up family and then carry on like your own daughter doesn't exist."

Raven: "I saved her."

Qrow: "Once. Because that was your rule, right? Real "Mom of the Year" material, sis."

Raven leans forward and grabs Qrow by the forearm, stilling his sarcastic, nonchalant motions as she speaks intently to him.

Raven: "I told you Beacon would fall and it did. I told you Ozpin would fail and he has. Now you tell me. Does. Salem. Have it?"

Qrow: "I thought you weren't interested in all of that."

Raven: "I just want to know what we are up against."

Qrow: "And which "we" are you referring to?" Raven glares and finally lets go of her brother and sits back down with a noise of disgust.

Qrow: "You should come back, Raven. The only way we'd beat her is by working together. All of us."

Raven: "You're the one who left. The tribe raised us, and you turned your back on them."

Qrow: "They were killers and thieves."

Raven: "They were your family."

Qrow: "You have a very skewed perception of that word." Raven stands up, upset.

Raven: "I lead our people now. And as leader, I will do everything in my power to ensure our survival."

Qrow: "I saw. The people of Shion saw, too."

Raven: "The weak die, the strong live. Those are the rules."

Qrow: "Well, you've certainly got someone strong on your side. I've seen the damage."

Raven: "We couldn't have known the Grimm would set in as quickly as they did."

Qrow: "I'm not talking about the Grimm."

Still not facing Qrow, Raven looks up, eyes widening slightly at his words.

Qrow: "And I'm not talking about you, either."

Raven: "If you don't know where the Relic is, then we have nothing left to talk about." As she reaches for her mask, Qrow grabs onto the top of it.

Qrow: "I don't know where the Spring Maiden is, either, but if you do, I need you to tell me."

Raven: "And why would I do that?" She said, pulling her mask out of Qrow's grasp.

Qrow: "Because without her, we're all going to die."

A moment of tense silence passes between them as a nearby lantern dies out.

Raven: (scoffing) "And which "we" are you referring to?"

Qrow grimaces as Raven walks away. The sound of her sword getting unsheathed is heard and he looks up, unhappy. Raven walks into her red portal and disappears. There's the sound of breaking glass and a gasp. Qrow turns to see the waitress, trembling at the sight of Raven disappearing. She takes a cautious step backward as she looks sideways at Qrow, who gestures his glass in front of her.

Qrow: "Make this one a double."

*Nero's POV*

After some time being on the ship, we finally arrived at Menagerie. I heard an air horn sound and an offramp being lowered on the ship to allow passengers to disembark.

Sun, Blake, and I make our way from the deck to the offramp. She proceeds without pause while Sun stops to look at the town. I walked behind them because I needed to know where they would be staying so that I can keep an eye on them while I stay with my parents. I just hope that Blake will soon come to Mistral with the rest of us.

Sun: "Huh."

Several Faunus in summer wear meander casually at the dock, some waiting for friends or family among the new arrivals. The dock is also a commercial area, with mobile kiosks selling food and other wares.

Sun was looking around while he, Blake, and I disembark and walk through the market area together.

Sun: "I've never seen so many Faunus in one place!"

Blake: "This is the one place everyone can feel safe, no matter who or what they are."

Nero: "It does explain the relaxed atmosphere all over us."

Sun: "Wow, sure is, uh, crowded, huh?"

Blake/Nero: "Yes. Yes, it is."

Sun: "Is it always so... cramped?" He said while dodging a Faunus that was carrying a box.

Blake: "Well, when you try and take an entire species and put them on an island that's two-thirds desert, yeah, it tends to be cramped."

Sun: "What! You guys have that much more space? Why waste it? A little desert never hurt anyone!"

Blake: "It's not like the desert in Vacuo, Sun. The wildlife here is more dangerous than most other regions."

Nero: "Trust me, it is brutal. I had to go there often while I was training with my father."

Sun: "So, they give us a terrible island, in the corner of Remnant, to try and shut us up."

Blake: "That's a pretty good summary, yeah."

Sun: "Huh. Jerks."

Nero: "We try to make the best of things."

The three of us pause in our walk to look at the view of the town the road affords. The road we are on goes downhill and is bordered by palm trees and homes that have either canvas or wood roofs. The vista of palm trees spreads out to the edge of mountainous dunes in the distance. Right in the middle of all this is a large house with an open courtyard that the road appears to lead directly to. The house is at least three stories and is the only building in the whole area with a sophisticated roof.

Sun: "Whoa..."

Blake: "This, is Kuo Kuana."

Sun: "It's... beautiful. I take it all back. This place looks great! Why would anyone ever want to leave?"

Blake: "That's not the point, Sun! We asked to be equal, to be treated just like everyone else! Instead, we were given an island and told to make do. So we did the best we could. We came together and we made a home where any Faunus could feel welcome. But this island, this town, will always be a reminder that we're still not equal." She then lowered her face. "That we're still second-class citizens."

Sun: "Well, hey, this guy's feeling pretty at home."

Blake: "Alright, time to go home."

Sun: "Oh yeah? Which one's yours? Can you see it from here?" Sun uses his free hand like a visor to help him peer at the houses.

Blake: "Kind of."

Sun: "Is it that one?" He said, pointing away from Blake. "What about that tiny one down there?" He said, now pointing across Blake. "I like the paintjob." She takes his arm and directs it toward the large house.

Blake: "It's... that one."

Sun stares for a second before pointing his finger at her with a questioning expression. Blake nods. Well, I now know where they'll be, so time to take my leave for now.

Nero: "Well, I'm going to take my leave. I need to check up on my parents, see how they are."

Sun: "Aw man, can't you stay with us? We-"

Blake got in front of him, cutting him off.

Blake: "It's okay, Nero. I'm sure we can meet up soon. Tell your parents that the Belladonnas appreciate you being my friend."

Nero: "I'll be sure to do so. See you guy soon."

Blake: "Take care."

Sun: "Swing by if you can!"

I turned and left the two as they continued on.

Okay, I lied mostly. I did plan on going straight home, but then I noticed two people that had red and white attire who called each other Fennec and Corsac. But the weird thing was that they were saying "Brother" to each other. The vibes they were giving off reminded me of the White Fang, so I decided to keep a distance while spying on them.

A few minutes pass by and they are going straight to Blake's house. I tailed them and saw Ghira Belladonna, the chieftain of Menagerie, talking to those two. Then I saw Blake appear, looking angry. Looks like they are working for the White Fang. After Ghira closed the doors, I got closer and I heard something that raised some red flags.

Fennec: "An interesting development, wouldn't you say?"

Corsac: "Interesting indeed."

Fennec: "So, shall we inform Brother Adam?"

Corsac: "Oh, we shall." Those two exchanged unsettling grins.

'Inform Adam? I did not like the sound of that. I will need to keep an eye out for those two.'
———————————————————————
And that is the end of that chapter. Yang finally gets to use her new arm and our Faunus trio make it to Menagerie, but something is happening, and Nero plans on finding out what it is so that they can stop it. Next up, a fight in a ruined place.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 163 16
Torchwick is finally behind bars and the White Fang have been quiet for weeks, leaving RWBY and the other teams of Beacon to look forward to the Vyta...
8.3K 174 52
It's a new year at Beacon Academy and that means new students. Ace Dodger is one of those new students. Despite having lost both of his parents 6 yea...
102K 1.6K 21
Y/n Gilbert was a young boy who wished to be a Huntsman. After being framed for something he didn't do which caused him to be kicked out of Signal Ac...
10.6K 101 10
This is the story of a young man who tries his best to suppress his violent side and to stay calm. What will happen to him, when he enrolled in the f...